PDA

View Full Version : How will technology change the world in 100 years

Man of Steel
07-21-2008, 06:33 PM
I was talking about this topic with some co-workers.

Any ideas?

Will our computers seem so ancient by then that a laptop will be in the Smithsonian Museum of American History?

Will the internet be replaced by a different means of communication?

Will people laugh about how we pay $4 for a gallon of gas instead of just filling up their tanks with air and get 500 miles to the unit?

Will basketball be played in courts the size and length of football fields due to the sheer athletic abilities of future basketball stars--the great great grand children of Tim Duncan, etc?

Just a few ideas.

How will the world be in 2108?

exstatic
07-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, the Aztec calendar says it will be OVER by then.

E20
07-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Why orange, ex?

To answer the question:
If the human race is still around, then it will be something out of a comic book..............hopefully.

Extra Stout
07-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Most people will have forsaken corporeal existence in favor of having their consciousness transferred to a server where they "live" in what is originally promised to be a utopian simulation.

baseline bum
07-21-2008, 09:24 PM
You'll be able to download hookers from the web to your USB.

tp2021
07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
i think there was a thread in the club a few months back about a newer, better way to connect computers to one another than the internet.

debo
07-21-2008, 10:17 PM
we will all be dead

exstatic
07-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Why orange, ex?

Stands out better than the bolded white on gray.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2008, 11:23 PM
If we haven't nuked the place by then, we will be in a new Dark Age. The climate will be radically different to that of today (which will destroy much of the agricultural sector), and the cheap, dirty energy upon which the wealth and ease of life our entire civilisation has been built on and relies upon (ie. fossil fuels) will be GONE.

The laws of physics dictate that you can't create energy from nothing, and everything we rely on is powered by non-renewable energy sources - renewables make up less than 7% of the world's energy supply, and as a percentage of total energy supply they are decreasing because the consumption of fossil fuels continues to grow faster than the production of renewables.

We are reaching the peak of this civilisation, and like Greece and Rome and all that came before and after, this civilisation will also fall... sometimw between 2030 and 2080.

E20
07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Does that mean no more NBA and no more Spurs?

Anti.Hero
07-21-2008, 11:53 PM
If we haven't nuked the place by then, we will be in a new Dark Age. The climate will be radically different to that of today (which will destroy much of the agricultural sector), and the cheap, dirty energy upon which the wealth and ease of life our entire civilisation has been built on and relies upon (ie. fossil fuels) will be GONE.

The laws of physics dictate that you can't create energy from nothing, and everything we rely on is powered by non-renewable energy sources - renewables make up less than 7% of the world's energy supply, and as a percentage of total energy supply they are decreasing because the consumption of fossil fuels continues to grow faster than the production of renewables.

We are reaching the peak of this civilisation, and like Greece and Rome and all that came before and after, this civilisation will also fall... sometimw between 2030 and 2080.

oh noes, the sky shall fall and punish us all!!!!! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!111

Not all of us will raise our children to be pussies who believe in this gorebage. Only the strong survive bitches!

Humans adapt. Shit happens. 100 years from now we will still be around and very alive.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-22-2008, 12:11 AM
oh noes, the sky shall fall and punish us all!!!!! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!111

Not all of us will raise our children to be pussies who believe in this gorebage. Only the strong survive bitches!

Humans adapt. Shit happens. 100 years from now we will still be around and very alive.

Yes, you are so tough... :rolleyes

Don't throw Al Gore at me, he is nothing but a cheap-arsed politician who has given people like you a focus for their hate. Without Gore, people might actually have to address the SCIENCE, the facts.

What you ignore is the basic fact that cheap, readily available energy is responsible for the success of any civilisation, including this one (oil+coal+gas power 80% of everything on the planet), and we are going to run out of cheap, readily available energy during the next 50-100 years, so say the petrogeologists. What will we then power our agriculture (which is entirely reliant on oil for fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, machinery and transport), transport, manufacturing, commercial, and energy production systems with??? Please enlighten me, I'd love to know.

I never said humans wouldn't survive - we will survive anything short of full nuclear holocaust. However, this CIVILISATION will fall, just as hundred of civilisations have risen and fallen before us, some of them for social reasons, or because they were conquered by other civilisations, but most for reasons of RESOURCE DEPLETION.

E20
07-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Ruff, you're being too narrow. For all we know there could be some breakthrough discovery that puts aside our dependence on fossil fuels/coal. As Manny also said the rate at which technology is advancing is exponential. It took 500 years to get from the stone age to the use of simple machines, but it only took around 50 to get from barely flying to space travel. There is always the development of nuclear and hydrogen power, advancements are slowly being made. You are too gloom and doom which coincides with your pro globabl pansy warming/ecology background (no offense).

remingtonbo2001
07-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes, you are so tough... :rolleyes

Don't throw Al Gore at me, he is nothing but a cheap-arsed politician who has given people like you a focus for their hate. Without Gore, people might actually have to address the SCIENCE, the facts.

What you ignore is the basic fact that cheap, readily available energy is responsible for the success of any civilisation, including this one (oil+coal+gas power 80% of everything on the planet), and we are going to run out of cheap, readily available energy during the next 50-100 years, so say the petrogeologists. What will we then power our agriculture (which is entirely reliant on oil for fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, machinery and transport), transport, manufacturing, commercial, and energy production systems with??? Please enlighten me, I'd love to know.

I never said humans wouldn't survive - we will survive anything short of full nuclear holocaust. However, this CIVILISATION will fall, just as hundred of civilisations have risen and fallen before us, some of them for social reasons, or because they were conquered by other civilisations, but most for reasons of RESOURCE DEPLETION.

Capitalism will eventually turn to renewable resources, such as hydro, solar, wind, ect.

If we weren't capable of producing renewable power at this point in time, I might be concerned.

We'll be alright.

However, I will give credit to individuals such as yourself, whom are so concerned as to take action.

So RuffnReady, here's to you and your creativity to make this world a better place.

:toast

baseline bum
07-22-2008, 01:30 AM

Capitalism will eventually turn to renewable resources, such as hydro, solar, wind, ect.

If we weren't capable of producing renewable power at this point in time, I might be concerned.

We'll be alright.

However, I will give credit to individuals such as yourself, whom are so concerned as to take action.

So RuffnReady, here's to you and your creativity to make this world a better place.

:toast

Our economy will have no choice but to start converting to alternative energy sources. However, it won't be overnight, and it probably won't even begin on an appreciable scale for at least 50 years. By then, there's a good chance it will be too late; we'll have melted so much of the polar ice that nothing we can do will ever make up for the solar energy being absorbed by our planet that was once reflected by those ice sheets. It's going to be a bitch moving the world's population inland once this nasty spiral has really picked up steam.

midgetonadonkey
07-22-2008, 09:10 AM

I never understood comments like these. Sure the Aztec calander stops at 2012 but didn't they have to stop somewhere? I'm sure they were making the calander and the dude in charge of it just said thought, fuck it. I'm not going any farther. By this time they can come up with their own fucking calendar.

That's my opinion on that subject.

JoeChalupa
07-22-2008, 09:30 AM
All I know is I'll never know.

DarkReign
07-22-2008, 10:46 AM

I believe you meant Mayan calendar.

johnsmith
07-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I never understood comments like these. Sure the Aztec calander stops at 2012 but didn't they have to stop somewhere? I'm sure they were making the calander and the dude in charge of it just said thought, fuck it. I'm not going any farther. By this time they can come up with their own fucking calendar.

That's my opinion on that subject.

:lmao

tlongII
07-22-2008, 10:53 AM
It won't take 100 years for people to realize that global warming alarmists are full of shit.

TwAnKiEs
07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
How will technology change the world in 100 years

Have you seen Wall*e ??? :wow:wow

BTW for you who saw it, anyone notice the Spork? :lmao