PDA

View Full Version : NBA Restructures Referee Operations Department

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the functional difference is here, since earlier reports have indicated that Fryer was responsible for on-court performance last year and that Nunn has been responsible for training for some time. Borgia's name as an executive is new to me (he's also a former referee), but his function seems about the same as before. At first blush, the only thing that strikes me as noteworthy here is the creation of a heirarchy that makes Nunn subordinate to Fryer, which wasn't always clear. But I'm not immediately sure what difference that might make.

http://www.nba.com/news/referee_080721.html

NBA Restructures Referee Operations Department

NEW YORK, July 21, 2008 — The NBA today announced that it has restructured the league’s Referee Operations department, appointing Bernie Fryer to the position of Vice President and Director of Officials, Joe Borgia to the position of Vice President, Referee Operations, and Ronnie Nunn to the position of Director of Development.

Fryer, who served as the NBA's Assistant Director of Officials and Crew Chief Coordinator during the 2007-08 season, will be responsible for the day-to-day management and on-court performance of NBA referees, reporting to Senior Vice President of Referee Operations, Ron Johnson. Borgia, who has served for the last four years as the league's Director of Officiating Programs and Development, will be responsible for administering all other aspects of the officiating program, including recruiting, training programs, team communications and oversight of the D-League and WNBA officiating programs, also reporting to Johnson. Nunn, who served as the NBA's Director of Officials for the past five seasons, will be responsible for the teaching and development of the NBA's less-experienced referees and the transition of referees from the D-League to the NBA, reporting to Fryer.

Both Fryer and Borgia will relocate to the NBA's New York headquarters. Nunn is already based in New York.

“This restructuring, together with the recent hiring of Ron Johnson, ensures that our referees are being managed, trained and developed by a group of first-rate, dedicated professionals," said NBA President, League and Basketball Operations, Joel Litvin. "Working under Ron, the team of Bernie, Joe and Ronnie brings years of experience as both referees and managers to these new roles along with a deep commitment to maximizing the performance of our referees every time they step on the floor."

An NBA referee for 28 seasons, Fryer holds the distinction of being one of only three people to both referee and play in the NBA (Leon Wood and Stan Stutz are the others). During his career as an NBA official, Fryer refereed 1,696 regular season games, 157 playoff games and 12 Finals games. Prior to becoming an official, Fryer spent two seasons playing in the NBA, earning All-Rookie Team honors in 1974 playing for the Portland Trail Blazers. Fryer was an All-Western Athletic Conference first team selection from 1970-72 as a member of the Brigham Young University basketball team. He is a native of Port Angeles, Wash.

Borgia, who has worked as a manager in the league’s officiating program for the past 10 years, was an NBA referee for 10 seasons (1988 to 1998) until an injury forced him to retire. The New Rochelle, N.Y. native officiated in the Continental Basketball Association for eight seasons before joining the NBA officiating staff in 1988.

Nunn was an NBA referee for 19 seasons, officiating 1,134 regular season games and 73 playoff games, including four Finals games. Nunn received his undergraduate degree from George Washington University where he played basketball and was inducted into George Washington’s Hall of Fame in 1997. The Brooklyn, N.Y. native also holds a master’s degree in special education from the College of New Rochelle and a master’s degree in administration from Queens College.

Earlier this month, the league announced the hiring of General Ronald L. Johnson to head the league’s officiating program. General Johnson, a two-star General, recently retired from active duty as Deputy Commanding General of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 08:27 PM
This is pretty worthless news. Just some new titles.

Feel free to put out a press release the day that Salvatore, JCrawford, Bavetta, and Palmer get fired though.

exstatic
07-21-2008, 08:34 PM
No one's brought this up yet at ST, but this whole referee re-org thing started about the same time that Donoghy's phone records were given to the prosecution, pre public leak.

completely deck
07-21-2008, 09:49 PM
This is pretty worthless news. Just some new titles.

Feel free to put out a press release the day that Salvatore, JCrawford, Bavetta, and Palmer get fired though.

Oh man what I wouldn't do for this.

duncan228
07-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm with you FWD, nothing seems too different. I guess we wait it out and see if there's any noticable changes when the season tips.

ElNono
07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
It's just another excuse to put out a press release to make the public think anything is being done with the whole referee tragedy. If tomorrow some shit surfaces about another crook ref, they'll point you to these press releases and say 'we've been working on it, not our fault'
Obviously, a person with a keen eye that has been studying the structure like you FWD, can see through it.