PDA

View Full Version : **Offical** Watchmen Movie Thread

ATRAIN
07-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Anyone see the trailer for this during TDK? It looks really good and hopefully will be. To date, Watchmen remains the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award, and is also the only graphic novel to appear on Time Magazine's 2005 list of "the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Saw it, and I'm psyched. They really nailed the look of it. I still have some trepidation, but I have faith that any company willing to go out and get the rights to this thing know the kind of high expectations that surround it.

NameDropper
07-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Looks good.

ONQ3Zgy195Y

Superhero movies are becoming the norm.

ATRAIN
07-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Saw it, and I'm psyched. They really nailed the look of it. I still have some trepidation, but I have faith that any company willing to go out and get the rights to this thing know the kind of high expectations that surround it.

The look and feel of the preview tells me they might have it. I never read those graphic novels but always heard a lot about them and have friends who have read them so we will have to see.

07-22-2008, 09:12 AM

You seriously typed "trepidation"?

/The geek is strong with this one

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/charliebrownwatchmen.jpg

JoeChalupa
07-22-2008, 09:29 AM
So is this what Hollywood has become? Nothing but comic book and graphic novel movies?

Spuradicator
07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
It looks cool, hopefully they did it right. These types of movies are either hit or miss no matter how good they look

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-22-2008, 09:55 AM
So is this what Hollywood has become? Nothing but comic book and graphic novel movies?

Kind of. There was a time when it seemed like every other movie that came out was a John Grisham adaptation or an adaptation of a John Grisham knock off.

The demand for such movies has always been around, it's just that technology is finally catching up to make them a possibility. Eventually that well will run try and God help us all if Hollywood is asked to do something original for once, but for now I take comfort in the idea that for every adaptation they do (which come packaged with a good story and deep characters) that is one less soundstage availalbe for shooting a Larry the Cable Guy movie.

JoeChalupa
07-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Kind of. There was a time when it seemed like every other movie that came out was a John Grisham adaptation or an adaptation of a John Grisham knock off.

The demand for such movies has always been around, it's just that technology is finally catching up to make them a possibility. Eventually that well will run try and God help us all if Hollywood is asked to do something original for once, but for now I take comfort in the idea that for every adaptation they do (which come packaged with a good story and deep characters) that is one less soundstage availalbe for shooting a Larry the Cable Guy movie.

:lol I concur.

leemajors
07-22-2008, 10:26 AM

There's a new Sheriff in town:

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/07/18/beer-for-my-horses-poster.jpg

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
There's a new Sheriff in town:

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/07/18/beer-for-my-horses-poster.jpg

Again, I try to stay philosophical. For every movie Toby Keith makes that less time he's in the studio doing this:

lBcB23Fc9AU

Anti.Hero
07-22-2008, 10:58 AM

Why wouldn't it? If done correctly, they will make zillions.

lefty
07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Meh....

leemajors
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Again, I try to stay philosophical. For every movie Toby Keith makes that less time he's in the studio doing this:

lBcB23Fc9AU

true, but what if he makes movies out of all his songs, such as this? it would be hilarious, but...

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-22-2008, 11:38 AM
true, but what if he makes movies out of all his songs, such as this? it would be hilarious, but...

Hmmmm, I see Toby Keith as a fashion photographer whose Bentley breaks down in the middle of nowhere. As fate would have it, the mechanic who fixes his car is incredibly hot, or could be if she only believed in herself. After helping her find the inner strength to leave her emotionally abusive, trailer trash boyfriend they head off to New York and turn the fashion world upside down (while falling for each other along the way). My Fair Lady with a heavy dose of the Beverly Hillbillies. "She's a Hotty" will be THE hit of the '09 summer.

Mark my words, someone is pitching this as we speak.

Dr. Gonzo
01-29-2009, 02:18 PM
I thought this was pretty fucking cool.

nd5cInmK6LQ

Trainwreck2100
01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Dr. Manhattan turned into a big blue prick

ATRAIN
01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I still cant wait for this movie and am almost done reading the graphic novel.

peewee's lovechild
01-29-2009, 02:43 PM
This movie is going to kick some major ass.

CuckingFunt
01-29-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm trying really, really hard not to get too hyped for this movie.

mardigan
01-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Dont know how many have actually read the graphic novel, but I have heard that Synder has changed the ending of the film dramatically, and that is probably the best part of the whole f-ing book. I will still see it, but my expectations are slowly headed south.

Dr. Gonzo
01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Changing the ending will ruin everything. I am hoping it is at least as good as Ironman.

IronMexican
01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I love that SP song in the trailer

Spurminator
01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm trying really, really hard not to get too hyped for this movie.

Me too, but that news video gave me a boner.

peewee's lovechild
01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Dont know how many have actually read the graphic novel, but I have heard that Synder has changed the ending of the film dramatically, and that is probably the best part of the whole f-ing book. I will still see it, but my expectations are slowly headed south.

Word around the campfire is that there are alternate endings and the one he chose is in the spirit of Moore's masterpiece.

CuckingFunt
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Me too, but that news video gave me a boner.

Ditto.

Well... not a boner, but you get the gist.

Trainwreck2100
01-29-2009, 03:48 PM

Something tells me one of the changes is
roll over or quote for spoiler

rorshack doesn't die

Dr. Gonzo
01-29-2009, 03:51 PM
rorshack doesn't die

That sould be shitty. His death is an important part of the ending, IMO.

I guess they need to leave it open to a sequel.

Trainwreck2100
01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
That sould be shitty. His death is an important part of the ending, IMO.

I guess they need to leave it open to a sequel.

I'm not saying it will be that but hollywood's been pussy about killing people off. And his death isnt badass enough like the Spartan's was in 300. He basically got snuffed out like a candle

Mister Sinister
01-30-2009, 03:18 AM
35 minutes ago.

mardigan
02-06-2009, 02:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5WsciSNVS0

whottt
02-06-2009, 04:41 AM
I think I'm the only one that thinks this, but to me this movie looks like it is flat out going to suck ass.

I read the Watchmen when it was originally published as a 12 issue maxi series. I won't say I'm a huge fan of it, but I at least realize why so many people like it. But I think this movie is going to fail...it wasn't meant to be made into a movie, it was meant to be a comic....and there's just something about the previews that isn't working for me.

If I were to attempt to distill just what my problem with the previews is...

For so many years movie adaptations of comic books came off as stupid hokey and unrealistic. The characers just looked stupid, the action looked stupid. Movie adapations of comics have advanced light years in the last 2 decades(the first Hulk film aside)...but the characters and action in the previews for this movie have that stupid hokey unrealistic look of old.

I'm calling that this movie is going to suck because the effects and costumes will fail and won't come off as realistic enough...and yes, the irony of that fate befalling the Watchmen isn't lost on me.

And somehwere, Alan Moore will smile.

Kermit
02-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I think I'm the only one that thinks this, but to me this movie looks like it is flat out going to suck ass.

I read the Watchmen when it was originally published as a 12 issue maxi series. I won't say I'm a huge fan of it, but I at least realize why so many people like it. But I think this movie is going to fail...it wasn't meant to be made into a movie, it was meant to be a comic....and there's just something about the previews that isn't working for me.

If I were to attempt to distill just what my problem with the previews is...

For so many years movie adaptations of comic books came off as stupid hokey and unrealistic. The characers just looked stupid, the action looked stupid. Movie adapations of comics have advanced light years in the last 2 decades(the first Hulk film aside)...but the characters and action in the previews for this movie have that stupid hokey unrealistic look of old.

I'm calling that this movie is going to suck because the effects and costumes will fail and won't come off as realistic enough...and yes, the irony of that fate befalling the Watchmen isn't lost on me.

And somehwere, Alan Moore will smile.

Especially with the amount of money he and Gibbons are going to make from this probable catastrophe.

shelshor
02-06-2009, 11:39 AM

And even worse remakes of bad movies

CuckingFunt
03-02-2009, 01:55 AM
I saw the first 22 minutes of Watchmen at WonderCon yesterday morning. It is absolutely amazing.

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-02-2009, 02:13 AM
And even worse remakes of bad movies

Last month: Friday the 13th.
The month before that: My Bloody Valentine (in 3D no less!).
This month: Last House on the Left.

When will the madness end?