PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: Olympic Gold Is More Important Than NBA Title

duncan228
07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-playing-play-2101123-pressure-basketball

Kobe: Olympic gold is more important than NBA title
Lakers star prepares for Olympics with USA basketball team.
By Janis Carr

LAS VEGAS Kobe Bryant has won games and NBA titles and fans along the way.

He has a lucrative contract, money-spinning endorsements and moves envied by players around the world.

Now Bryant is going after the one thing he doesn't own, something that could earn him, and the other 11 members of the U.S. National basketball team, the respect it lost four years ago – an Olympic gold medal.

The United States, a perennial powerhouse in international basketball, lost its swagger four years ago, when the Americans finished preliminary play at 3-2 and then were forced to settle for a bronze medal after losing to Argentina in the semifinals.

Bryant and the others say this Olympiad will be different when the team plays in Beijing.

"What we have is a determination to win," Bryant said after the first day of practice at Valley High. "We have guys who work extremely hard, play hard, play well together and go out there and do what we do best."

Bryant has put aside the Lakers' loss to Boston in the NBA Finals and re-ignited his passion for the sport he dominated this past season. He said he is looking forward to the competition and pressure the United States faces heading into the Olympics.

"There is pressure every time we play, pressure to win, especially for us, USA Basketball," Bryant said. "It comes with the territory. It comes from playing sports. Pressure comes along with it.

"But everyone is used to dealing with it. We thrive on it."

Bryant put winning a gold medal above winning the Larry O'Brien trophy or MVP honors because "you're playing for your country. You're not playing for a region, a state … you're playing for the United States of America and that has more importance."

With so many international players competing in the NBA, Bryant is sure to see some familiar faces when he arrives in China. There's one player, however, he is eager to come up against – teammate Pau Gasol, who will be playing for Spain.

"(Before he left) he said he was going to go for gold. Obviously," Bryant said, laughing. "We all are. It's going to be fun. I look forward to seeing him."

Anti.Hero
07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
He has team America behind him picking on third world countries.

Lots of pressure Kobe!

1Parker1
07-22-2008, 11:06 AM
:lol He has to say that...he just lost out on an NBA title and he's currently playing for a Gold medal.

hater
07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
of course it is. Kobe got it right.

lefty
07-22-2008, 11:19 AM
What a fucking loser

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-22-2008, 12:11 PM
It always make me laugh when see the US fans says NBA title mean more then Olympics gold. Is like some crazy joke but no they are serious.:rollin

mavs>spurs2
07-22-2008, 12:19 PM
It always make me laugh when see the US fans says NBA title mean more then Olympics gold. Is like some crazy joke but no they are serious.:rollin

Ok, you hate the U.S., we get it already

Lake_show
07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
The arguably greatest player ever is right. USA will get GOLD!!

endrity
07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
The arguably greatest player ever is right. USA will get GOLD!!

NO!
It's not even debatable. He is not even the greatest Laker ever. Shaq, Magic, Kareem, and MAYBE Wilt are all better than him.

hater
07-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Ok, you hate the U.S., we get it already

so now if you beleive olympics > nba, you automatically hate the US? :lol

Anti.Hero
07-22-2008, 12:28 PM

It is only great for other countries because winning gold is nothing new over here in Amerika.

I'm pulling for Argentina and would love to see team usa lose.

mavs>spurs2
07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
so now if you beleive olympics > nba, you automatically hate the US? :lol

Obviously you are unfamiliar with Kill Bill. It has nothing to do with the importance of Olympic gold

Supergirl
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
The US is going to get bounced, book it.

I would not be surprised to see them wind up not even placing. If they do place, it will probably be another bronze, certainly not a gold.

tlongII
07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Gold - USA
Silver - Spain
Bronze - Argentina

IronMexican
07-22-2008, 02:45 PM
He said the same thing about a year ago.

so no surprise he said it now too.

mardigan
07-22-2008, 03:06 PM

I would not be surprised to see them wind up not even placing. If they do place, it will probably be another bronze, certainly not a gold.

Maybe the silliest prediction I have ever read on this site.

Olympic Gold is much more important, the NBA isnt the end all be all. Spur fans need to get off of Kobe's dick already.

Ghazi
07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Olympic Gold shouldn't be as important... IDGI, the USA has a stacked ass roster... if they do win the Gold like they should it's hardly an accomplishment because their talent pool is so much greater than the opposing countries... atleast in the NBA there is competitive balance, which makes it far more interest IMO. Furthermore I cannot help but question the patriotic fervor of the American players.

Anyone who thinks the USA will not win Gold is really banking on something going horribly wrong as far as chemistry, injuries, or some fluke... this roster looks so stacked that it should win every game by 15+ points, and beat the cupcakes by 30-40.

jack sommerset
07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I call BULLSHIT on Bryant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ducks
07-22-2008, 03:53 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-playing-play-2101123-pressure-basketball

Kobe: Olympic gold is more important than NBA title
Lakers star prepares for Olympics with USA basketball team.
By Janis Carr

LAS VEGAS Kobe Bryant has won games and NBA titles and fans along the way.

He has a lucrative contract, money-spinning endorsements and moves envied by players around the world.

Now Bryant is going after the one thing he doesn't own, something that could earn him, and the other 11 members of the U.S. National basketball team, the respect it lost four years ago – an Olympic gold medal.

The United States, a perennial powerhouse in international basketball, lost its swagger four years ago, when the Americans finished preliminary play at 3-2 and then were forced to settle for a bronze medal after losing to Argentina in the semifinals.

Bryant and the others say this Olympiad will be different when the team plays in Beijing.

"What we have is a determination to win," Bryant said after the first day of practice at Valley High. "We have guys who work extremely hard, play hard, play well together and go out there and do what we do best."

Bryant has put aside the Lakers' loss to Boston in the NBA Finals and re-ignited his passion for the sport he dominated this past season. He said he is looking forward to the competition and pressure the United States faces heading into the Olympics.

"There is pressure every time we play, pressure to win, especially for us, USA Basketball," Bryant said. "It comes with the territory. It comes from playing sports. Pressure comes along with it.

"But everyone is used to dealing with it. We thrive on it."

Bryant put winning a gold medal above winning the Larry O'Brien trophy or MVP honors because "you're playing for your country. You're not playing for a region, a state … you're playing for the United States of America and that has more importance."

With so many international players competing in the NBA, Bryant is sure to see some familiar faces when he arrives in China. There's one player, however, he is eager to come up against – teammate Pau Gasol, who will be playing for Spain.

"(Before he left) he said he was going to go for gold. Obviously," Bryant said, laughing. "We all are. It's going to be fun. I look forward to seeing him."

LIAR

Trainwreck2100
07-22-2008, 03:58 PM
It will be nice to send those Argies down a peg.

Darthkiller
07-22-2008, 04:09 PM
easy for him to say, he already got 3 rings.

TheNextGen
07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I cant hate on what he is saying..maybe 2 decades ago, it wasnt that important cuz USA always won...but its been a while now. USA was a joke for the past decade. These guys better win the Gold cuz its embarassing that we suck at our own sport.

ShoogarBear
07-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Also, the Western Conference title is more important than the NBA title, too.

johngateswhiteley
07-22-2008, 04:40 PM

wanna bet?

johngateswhiteley
07-22-2008, 04:41 PM

i agree.

manufor3
07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
what a loser, some players never get to play on usa team. some players never win or will win a title (see Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash). both are great, but winning an nba title is a far better accomplishmint

Showtime24 LAKERS
07-22-2008, 06:22 PM
How would it make Kobe look if he said winning a championship is more important than these warm up drills known as Olympic basketball?

He'd be crucified on a Purple and Gold cross.

So yeah, he pretty much has no other choice but to say this. Whether he means it or not, who fucking knows....Beside he has already gotten 3 rings!!

but I'm sure all you haters will come out and say now that Kobe is hinting he wants to be traded and that other teams are more important then the Lakers.

Obstructed_View
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Kobe plays pretty good when he's got more talent on his team than his opponent. Hell, his teams even win on occasion.

pauls931
07-22-2008, 07:36 PM

I bet deep inside charles barkley, stockton, and malone would trade their olympic gold for one NBA title.

manufor3
07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Kobe has to single handely put American basketball back on the map again. Guys like Duncan and Iverson made fools out of themselves representing this country. There were times I thought Duncan was playing for the other team... what a fucking loser he is. You watch and see, Kobe is going to bring that gold home baby:lol

kobe' s a thug though. thugs are why nba basketball is on the decline. oh also add he's a rapist

Obstructed_View
07-22-2008, 07:58 PM
I bet deep inside charles barkley, stockton, and malone would trade their olympic gold for one NBA title.

I agree. David Robinson might trade one of his NBA titles for the '88 gold, but I doubt it.

Anti.Hero
07-23-2008, 12:26 AM
The Usa Is Supposed To Win The Gold Ffs.

The Spurs Are Not Supposed To Win The Nba Title Every Single Year.

Nba title > Gold medal unless you are from a country other than USA.

Anti.Hero
07-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Kobe has to single handely put American basketball back on the map again. Guys like Duncan and Iverson made fools out of themselves representing this country. There were times I thought Duncan was playing for the other team... what a fucking loser he is. You watch and see, Kobe is going to bring that gold home baby:lol

And Kobe made a fool out of himself by cheating on his wife with some 2 cent whore.

Made a fool out of himself by snitching on Shaq and breaking up a dynasty like a little bitch.

Made a fool out of himself by crying to the media last summer trying to get traded.

Too easy.

KidCongo
07-23-2008, 02:08 AM
Is Kobe not intitled to an opinion, shit, hes spent damn there half of his career playing for NBA titles. Winning another NBA title could be no different than the other 3 he already has... give him a fucking break.

Winning another would be different because this time he would be the leader and centrepiece.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-23-2008, 07:35 AM
The Usa Is Supposed To Win The Gold Ffs.

The Spurs Are Not Supposed To Win The Nba Title Every Single Year.

Nba title > Gold medal unless you are from a country other than USA.

Yes and there is many more countries than just the USA.

stretch
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Yes and there is many more countries than just the USA.

thats true, but then why is it a suprize when the US does not win? why is it that when teams beat the US just once, they act as if they just won a gold medal off of a last second buzzer beater and run around crazy like chickens with their heads cut off?

because the US is expected to win, plain and simple

Oh, Gee!!
07-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Olympic Gold should be considered a loftier goal than personal success by far---unfortunately, we don't have a lot of national pride when compared to other countries.

hater
07-23-2008, 10:24 AM
the way the NBA is going, in a couple of years Kobe might say "winning Euroleague title is more important than winning NBA title"

manufor3
07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
You must be a real softy to view Kobe as a thug. Aside from taking a lil bit of white pussy, and being a world class snitch, Kobe is a kept kid. You know, sheltered and shit. Dont let the tatoos fool you; a lot of these guys just want to look tough. Kobe may have issues, but being a thug is not one of them.

well, you almost don't even have bynum, kobe practically threw him under the bus.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
unfortunately, we don't have a lot of national pride when compared to other countries.

Yes we do. But other countries aren't looked down upon or criticized for being patriotic.

nil.ball
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Olympic Gold Is More Important Than NBA Title

We know there is one thing he can not get! :lol

ambchang
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Olympic Gold shouldn't be as important... IDGI, the USA has a stacked ass roster... if they do win the Gold like they should it's hardly an accomplishment because their talent pool is so much greater than the opposing countries... atleast in the NBA there is competitive balance, which makes it far more interest IMO. Furthermore I cannot help but question the patriotic fervor of the American players.

Your arguments certainly talks to why the NBA title is more challenging to the players involved, and entertaining to teh fans, but it does not speak to why the NBA championship should be more important than the Olympic Gold

Spuradicator
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Bullshit. I don't believe Kobe believe that. Selfish prick he is.

If we win gold, we can thank Lebron for leading our team.

LocosPorJuana
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
U.S propaganda! In either case, the north americans will not be taken lightly.

Based on the facts that kobe loves futbol and hangs out with ronaldinho, he should be playing for brasil or italia! traitor!
:p:

samikeyp
07-23-2008, 02:52 PM

+1

TheNextGen
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Regardless of his intentions...im just proud of him for saying it.

Ill Cosby
07-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I would have to disagree

More competition in the NBA

leemajors
07-23-2008, 04:48 PM
d-wade looks kinda like ashy larry with that shaved head:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0722/nba_g_wade_200.jpg

TheNextGen
07-23-2008, 04:58 PM

is that Nick Van Exel?

monosylab1k
07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
the bald head look isn't workin for D-Wade. He might need to rehab in a wheelchair until that stuff grows back.

monosylab1k
07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
If he shaved his head for aerodynamic purposes....bad move. He might move so quick to the basket that the refs won't even have time to blow their whistles.

TheNextGen
07-23-2008, 06:25 PM
is that Nick Van Exel?

I take it back...looks like GAry Payton now.

Ill Cosby
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM

the bald head look isn't workin for D-Wade. He might need to rehab in a wheelchair until that stuff grows back.

If he shaved his head for aerodynamic purposes....bad move. He might move so quick to the basket that the refs won't even have time to blow their whistles.

:lmao

this reminds me of 'Martin'

Karl Ma'Dome'

Head Sanford

Heady Murphy