PDA

View Full Version : Can we get Okafor?

Rob123
07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I've now seen three charlotte news agencies report Okafor's contract negotiations have broken down and the cats are looking to sign and trade so they can get something in return. Any chance we can pick him up, who would we trade? Do we even need him?

Just wondering, not as knowledgeable as the majority of you guys.

edit: here's the link to one source, http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2008/07/what-next-for-o.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Send them Manu. Then they buyout J-Rich's contract and he signs with us for the rest of the MLE.

Spurtacus
07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
We have nothing to offer the Bobcats. I really doubt they would be interested in Bonner and 2nd round picks.

Ocotillo
07-22-2008, 07:28 PM
We have nothing to offer the Bobcats. I really doubt they would be interested in Bonner and 2nd round picks.

Oh heck, make it first round picks.

spursjustice
07-22-2008, 07:32 PM

True.. we've got nothing to offer..
if only Isiah ran the show in Charlotte...

Spurtacus
07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh heck, make it first round picks.

I doubt the Bobcats would want late first round picks starting in 2010. Plus, Okafor is going to command the $$$ that we do not have. timvp posted a great thread with Spurs salaries recently.

Ocotillo
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
I doubt the Bobcats would want late first round picks starting in 2010. Plus, Okafor is going to command the $$$ that we do not have. timvp posted a great thread with Spurs salaries recently.

Should have included a sarcasm emoticon.

At this time making a major trade is near impossible without moving one of the big three. That may change by the end of the year as we see how Mahinmi, Hill, Mason and Gist work out.

Recently, our trade assets have generally been expiring contracts which does not always fit into a trading partners plans. Other assets are devalued players like Beno or Bonner which become difficult to move due to why would anyone want them. Finally, we have lots of role players which can be traded but role players do not fetch an Okafor or similar type player (unless you are the Lakers).

Spurtacus
07-22-2008, 07:42 PM
The Spurs won't take on a heavy contract for longer than 2 years. they are interested in getting one of the 2010 FA big names. Bosh or Wade. I can see LeBron playing for us as in "I want to play with Tim Duncan and win a championship" but I can't see him playing for us with the "I want to play in San Antonio."

The only question is, who will be on the Nets to help LeBron out? Harris? Lopez? Only time will tell how good they will be.

Lebron won't take less to win a championship. Plus, he wouldn't want to be a sidekick ala Kobe/Shaq.

SenorSpur
07-22-2008, 07:45 PM
True.. we've got nothing to offer..
if only Isiah ran the show in Charlotte...

:lol

True. The Spurs certainly have nothing to offer this year. However Okafor could sign the 1-yr offer and thus become an unrestricted FA next season. Meaning he is then free to choose his own destination. If that turns out to be the case, the Spurs, and any other team with available cap space for that matter, could conceivably make a play for him.

If that scenario plays out, the Spurs would need to clear considerable salary space to make it happen.

There are risks, so proceed with caution. Okafor has had a history of injuries throughout his short career. However, it's certainly worth entertaining.

brettn
07-22-2008, 07:47 PM
The Spurs won't take on a heavy contract for longer than 2 years. they are interested in getting one of the 2010 FA big names. Bosh or Wade. I can see LeBron playing for us as in "I want to play with Tim Duncan and win a championship" but I can't see him playing for us with the "I want to play in San Antonio."

The only question is, who will be on the Nets to help LeBron out? Harris? Lopez? Only time will tell how good they will be.

That's just wishful thinking and will not happen.

SenorSpur
07-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Why would either of them leave their current situations and money on the table to take less and come to small-market SA? The Spurs can't attract small-time FAs now. How are they going to attract the big fish?

LeBron has made it known he wants to play in a larger market - preferably NY. Call me a pessimist, but I can't see any way Lebron Wade or Bosh would EVER come to S.A.

JamStone
07-22-2008, 07:52 PM

Do you honestly think LeBron, Wade, Bosh, or Carmelo would sign with the Spurs with Duncan in his last few years in the league?

If they leave their current teams, I think it's either a major market or a team that has a very good "young" core. For example, I could see Bosh going to the Hawks if they have cap space because of the young core there plus he has ties in the Atlanta area. I think the only place LeBron leaves Cleveland for is New York or New Jersey. I think the only place Wade leaves Miami for is Chicago.

DROB4EVER
07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
No way he come to S.A.

The Franchise
07-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Lebron won't take less to win a championship. Plus, he wouldn't want to be a sidekick ala Kobe/Shaq.

He wouldn't be.:lol

mystargtr34
07-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Do you honestly think LeBron, Wade, Bosh, or Carmelo would sign with the Spurs with Duncan in his last few years in the league?

If they leave their current teams, I think it's either a major market or a team that has a very good "young" core. For example, I could see Bosh going to the Hawks if they have cap space because of the young core there plus he has ties in the Atlanta area. I think the only place LeBron leaves Cleveland for is New York or New Jersey. I think the only place Wade leaves Miami for is Chicago.

Didnt Carmelo take a different route and sign the full 5-year extension?

Either way its very unlikely any of these guys sign for San Antonio. But i think with a prime Tony Parker, and a 34 year old Duncan would be pretty attractive given Duncan's winning history. It would depend heavily on whether guys like Mahinmi develop as well as whether Tiago Splitter comes over.

angelbelow
07-22-2008, 08:03 PM
okafor sucks and is overrated, many games last year nazr outplayed him. theres a reason why the bobcats arent even considering him to be a 10 mil player even though bigs always get overpaid. i say offer him the rest of our mle and if he says no then let him be.

Chen
07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
IMO, thats kinda impossible mission to get this big man.

Jlowd21
07-22-2008, 09:43 PM
maybe the spurs can pull something shady like the Gasol to lakers trade.

Spurtacus
07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Pop does have a friend who happens to be the Bobcats coach...

mavs>spurs2
07-22-2008, 11:24 PM
One of these threads surfaces everyday because some retard thinks Kobe Bryant is coming to town for a sack of shit + Bonner. Not gonna happen not even on NBA live.

wisnub
07-23-2008, 02:12 AM
Slim to none chance for getting Okafor. If Im RC I would dare to trade Bonner,1st round pick,Udoka....hell lets put Mason on the mix as well whatever combnation of that player will be...even adding Thomas will be fine. Keep on dreaming and drinking

Spurtacus
07-23-2008, 02:15 AM
Since I have the right to dream...

Bonner + Oberto + 2010 1st round pick + 2nd round picks + cash considerations

It can happen, right? Larry Brown and Pop colluding together? :lol:

turiaf for president
07-23-2008, 02:42 AM
nope

wisnub
07-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Since I have the right to dream...

Bonner + Oberto + 2010 1st round pick + 2nd round picks + cash considerations

It can happen, right? Larry Brown and Pop colluding together? :lol:

:toast lets drink vodka together..hey it might happen after two shots

wisnub
07-23-2008, 02:52 AM
Damn...turiaf for president....respect :) I like turiaf, he play like a warrior and energy kind of guy off the bench. Always dunking and lifting spirit. That kid got solid game if he figure out how to shoot...Too bad he's not a spurs

Sissiborgo
07-23-2008, 03:13 AM
haha trade manu pepole what's wrong with you... Without Manu we aint no spurs!

mystargtr34
07-23-2008, 04:01 AM
okafor sucks and is overrated, many games last year nazr outplayed him. theres a reason why the bobcats arent even considering him to be a 10 mil player even though bigs always get overpaid. i say offer him the rest of our mle and if he says no then let him be.

:lol Okafor will be signing a $40m+ deal somewhere either this season or probably more next if he develops further.

Offensively he is limited, but Nazr cant hold a candle to him defensivley, not many big men can. Awesome shot blocker, and is better than anything we have, or anything weve had since D-Rob went..

TJastal
07-23-2008, 06:50 AM

You never know about that. Honestly I think he would jump at the chance to play on a team where he didn't have to carry the entire load himself.

Spurs could potentially offer him that type of chance if Duncan is still playing near the top of his game. Of course there will be Tony Parker too.

Danny.Zhu
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
bonner+Oberto+vaugh+1st round?

Big P
07-23-2008, 10:05 AM
bonner+Oberto+vaugh+1st round?

Would get you about 1/2 an Okafor

Indazone
07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Bonner plus Oberto? hahahaha Ya need to include a franchise player for Okafor.

Mister Sinister
07-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Would get you about 1/2 an Okafor
Hm...do we get the Oka or the for?