PDA

View Full Version : Official UFC 87 Fight Thread!!!

dbreiden83080
07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/UFC_87.jpg

August 9, 2008,

Great Card coming up here

Main card

Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch
Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta
Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring
Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson
Jason MacDonald vs. Demian Maia

Pre-Lims

Welterweight Bout: Chris Wilson vs. Steve Bruno
Welterweight Bout: Ben Saunders vs. Jared Rollins
Welterweight Bout: Luke Cummo vs. Tamdan McCrory
Light Heavyweight bout: Andre Gusmao vs. Razak Al-Hussan

Anytime you get to see GSP is a great night for MMA fans, he is my favorite fighter. Fitch is a good match for him, tough guy, good wrestler. Much tougher fight for him than Serra. GSP is too well rounded for him though, he'll take it.

The Lesnar fight is interesting as Herring again like Mir is a guy with loads of experience. In fact he has even more experience. I think Brock will lose this fight as well unless he takes it early. Curious to know what Evan and Leonard think about that one.

Florian and Huerta should be an all out war. :toast

oligarchy
07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I can not understand how in the world Manny Gamburyan, the Sherk Blanket clone, can make it on a main card. I HATE THAT MIDGET. We'll see where Cock Chestnar is at. This is a good test for him.

GSP v Fitch should be a good fight.

Undercard:

Chris Wilson vs. Steve Bruno
Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen
Ben Saunders vs. Ryan Thomas
Luke Cummo vs. Tamdan McCrory
Andre Gusmao vs. Jon Jones

djohn14
07-22-2008, 09:48 PM
A Cheick Kongo/Dan Evenson fight is also going to take place on the prelims...I got Kongo by KO...sometimes he looks great and other times he dosent bring it. Im excited anyway.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch-By whatever he damn well pleases. Fitch is very good no doubt, but he is no GSP.
Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta-The crowd wins in this...It will be great. Florian will probably win, but Im picking Huerta because I want him to.
Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring-Brock beat the crap out of Mir until he got caught, he might just be a really good fighter.
Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson-As long as that shoulder stays in place Manny will win.
Jason MacDonald vs. Demian Maia -This will be another exciting fight too...Maia has looked like a stud thus far.

Pre-Lims

Welterweight Bout: Luke Cummo vs. Tamdan McCrory-Im torn...I dont have faith in Luke though

dallaskd
07-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Kenny will beat Huerta. Roger got dominated by Guida up until the 3rd round and clay got lazy. Florian with the 2nd round sub via triangle choke.

dallaskd
07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
bump

dallaskd
07-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Rollins out..Ryan Thomas is in.

Don't even know who Razak Al-Hussan is, but he's out too. Replaced by Jon Jones.

Also Cheick Kongo Vs. Dan Evensen is added.

dallaskd
07-29-2008, 06:46 PM
updated...

Main Card:

Georges St-Pierre Vs. Jon Fitch
Brock Lesnar Vs. Heath Herring
Kenny Florian Vs. Roger Huerta
Manny Gamburyan Vs. Rob Emerson
Jason MacDonald Vs. Demian Maia

Undercard:

Luke Cummo Vs. Tamdan McCrory
Cheick Kongo Vs. Dan Evensen
Andre Gusmao Vs. Jon Jones
Chris Wilson Vs. Steve Bruno
Ben Saunders Vs. Ryan Thomas

(my picks in bold)

djohn14
07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Let me just tell you a bit about Jon Jones. He is a 20 year old title contender in the making who is undefeated in his MMA career. He was a wrestler in highschool. He can do a little bit of everything, but isnt polished yet. Andre should win that fight, but I really think Jon Jones could be a champ in the future.

Evan
07-29-2008, 07:10 PM
so much MMA...

I remember when I had so much time between cards I used to have time to re-watch fights.

And I walked to school uphill both ways.

dbreiden83080
07-29-2008, 09:10 PM
so much MMA...

I remember when I had so much time between cards I used to have time to re-watch fights.

And I walked to school uphill both ways.

Evan what are your thoughts on Lesnar/Herring??

Evan
07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Evan what are your thoughts on Lesnar/Herring??

This is one of those fights were I can't predict a winner and nothing that happens will surprise me.

I'm sure I will end up guessing but I have zero clue.

All I know is a win by Lesnar would be a good thing for the UFC.

angelbelow
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
GSP>Fitch

2centsworth
07-29-2008, 10:11 PM
this card doesn't do much for me.

dbreiden83080
07-29-2008, 10:44 PM

Any card with GSP on it is a must see for me.

Evan
07-29-2008, 11:17 PM

One of the best multi tooled fighters alive who hasn't even come close to his prime is on this card.

You sir are certified insane and my God have mercy on your soul.

Evan
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
by the way...props to dbreiden83080 for adding the fight poster to the official fight thread. We need to always do that for now on... looks sharp.

:toast

djohn14
07-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah, the poster is a nice touch! I think Im more excited to see Huerta/Florian than GSP/Fitch.

dallaskd
07-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Huerta-Florian should be crazzzzy. Herring-Lesnar is a brain scratcher. i want lesnar to win. but i dont want heath to lose. its best for the ufc if brock wins, but at the same time i dont want to hear it from all the wwe fans if lesnar wins. and there is no obvious choice. i like heath though. he seems so changed after the nog fight and the long break he took between nog and kongo.

angelbelow
07-30-2008, 01:31 AM
not if you know GSP is going to win forsure.

dallaskd
07-30-2008, 02:34 AM
nothing is ever forsure in mma.

(and here comes leonard's fedor comment)

dallaskd
07-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Dana on Huerta and Florian...

"Both of these guys have hearts the size of tito's head" :lmao

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DuxLAiken-U

dbreiden83080
07-30-2008, 01:25 PM
by the way...props to dbreiden83080 for adding the fight poster to the official fight thread. We need to always do that for now on... looks sharp.

:toast

Oh thanks, yeah i thought it was a nice touch.

I'm really looking forward to this card. This one is worth my 45 bucks for the HD PPV.

dbreiden83080
07-30-2008, 01:34 PM

Tito's gone, call off the dogs Dana

dallaskd
07-30-2008, 01:35 PM

oh sorry because its dana..it was tito's fu**ing head.

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 01:41 PM
oh sorry because its dana..it was tito's fu**ing head.

LOL Dana and the Fbombs are hilarious.

Great card, can't wait!!

Evan
07-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I wish Dana would stop cussing...

I know he's trying to be anti corporate but stillll

Anti.Hero
07-30-2008, 05:53 PM
I love watching Florian. When he first came in I didn't think he would last more than one fight in the UFC.

But the dude is a savage.

dallaskd
07-31-2008, 12:58 AM
I know he was picked last on TUF and surprisingly made the finale only then to be destroyed by Diego Sanchez. I thought he had zero future. But he dropped to LW and became a player in the division and is now one of my favorite fighters. No way he should have ever been at MW though. He actually wasn't even supposed to on TUF 1. I think the story was Dana went to go look at Drew Fickett for the Ultimate Fighter and he was fighting an unknown Kenny Florian that night and Kenny supposedly was a warrior and took a decision loss, but looked good enough that the UFC asked Kenny to come on the show. I'd love to see that fight if someone would link it.

Evan
07-31-2008, 08:09 AM
I like Kenny a lot and I know people get sick of seeing TUF fighters on PPV's but so many of these guys turn into legit fighters.

desflood
08-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Main card

Pre-Lims

Welterweight Bout: Luke Cummo vs. Tamdan McCrory

Florian/Huerta I couldn't pick. A year ago the choice would have been Ken by a landslide, but now I'm not so sure.

dallaskd
08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
It would be nice to get a vbookie on herring/lesnar and florian/huerta. but i lost all my cash so it would be pointless for me.

LEONARD
08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Kori hates us

Evan
08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
everyone that likes MMA has a collective of $200 anyway.

dbreiden83080
08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
everyone that likes MMA has a collective of $200 anyway.

LOL, actually with the economy and my loans and bills i have right now, i really could not afford the last 2 UFC's. But i had this one circled on my calender for a while. Any GSP fight is worth my money.

Evan
08-05-2008, 08:35 PM
LOL, actually with the economy and my loans and bills i have right now, i really could not afford the last 2 UFC's. But i had this one circled on my calender for a while. Any GSP fight is worth my money.

I meant to gamble but it looks like you're set.

djohn14
08-05-2008, 08:51 PM
dbreiden...you do know you can watch it on the internet if worse comes to worse?

Evan
08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
dbreiden...you do know you can watch it on the internet if worse comes to worse?

Sir

Such a site does not exist

And if it did exist it would never be talked about or posted on a forum, only via pm.

:nope

djohn14
08-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Oh but it does....and of course I wouldnt say it on the forum!

Evan
08-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh but it does....

No sir

and of course I wouldnt say it on the forum!

Of course not, it doesn't exist!

:p:

djohn14
08-05-2008, 09:43 PM
:frying:OK Evan...have it your way...but we both know what Im talking about...

Evan
08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
When LEONARD sees this tomorrow he'll back me up that it doesn't exist.

Because if it did exist, and too many people talked about then it on a forum then it would really not exist after too long. :king

:(

Evan
08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm just giving you a hard time dude...

I'm working right now and I am waiting for a backup disk to finish for a site I'm working on so I'm bored shitless....

Evan
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
ugh........."40 minutes remaining"

Think I'll go practice spitting a mouthful of gasoline past a lighter for some fireball fun.

djohn14
08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Haha its cool. All I know is that it did exist at one point at least and I have watched at least 1 UFC PPV on it for free. The rest me and my brother have split pay. He and his wife had a baby yesterday so they are going to be busy and try to save their money, so I hope it still works.

dbreiden83080
08-05-2008, 10:54 PM

Sure i've done that a few times, in really crappy quality, :depressed

But the big ones that i really look forward too, i want to see in High Def on my screen obviously. So i gotta suck it up and plunk down the 45 bucks.

djohn14
08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
yeah i know, but I guess its better than missing it. Thats why you need a brother...I only have to pay $22.50!

Evan
08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Sure i've done that a few times, in really crappy quality, :depressed

But the big ones that i really look forward too, i want to see in High Def on my screen obviously. So i gotta suck it up and plunk down the 45 bucks.

Not that such a site exists...

but if it did...I'm sure a premium feed would be available for a small "donation"

cool cat
08-06-2008, 01:22 PM

GSP dominates wrestlers and I think he takes it fairly easy.

Huerta is one of the most exciting fighters right now, I hope he wins and gets a chance at BJ Penn

Herring is a hard guy to beat and the longer the fight I think gives him the better chance to win. But Brock might bum rush him and end it fast.

dbreiden83080
08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Article from ESPN.com, WOW is Penn Really next if GSP takes care of business?? :wow

St. Pierre focused on task at hand
By Franklin McNeil
Special to ESPN.com

Chris Cozzone/FightWireImages

Matt Serra, left, taught Georges St. Pierre a valuable lesson: never look past your opponent.
For all the talent Georges St. Pierre possesses, he has entered the Octagon only once as UFC welterweight champion. That was on April 7, 2007, and the experience is one he won't soon forget.

St. Pierre was stopped in the first round that night by heavy underdog Matt Serra. To this day, St. Pierre blames his poor performance against Serra on being mentally unprepared.

Physically, St. Pierre was 100 percent. But he was looking past Serra and toward a rematch with BJ Penn, whom he had beaten previously by split decision. Looking beyond the task at hand was a big mistake, one St. Pierre vows never to repeat.

[+] EnlargeEd Mulholland for ESPN.com

St. Pierre, top, has the welterweight division by the horns -- and he doesn't plan to let go any time soon.
St. Pierre gets to make his point Saturday night at UFC 87: Seek and Destroy (pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET) in Minneapolis. The man standing across the cage from St. Pierre will be Jon Fitch, a strong fighter with solid wrestling skills.

This will be St. Pierre's first title defense since he regained the belt from Serra on April 19. And like the previous title defense, a win over Fitch could lead to a second bout with Penn.
But there will be a big difference this time around; St. Pierre is bringing both his physical and mental A-games. He remains eager to fight Penn again, but won't look past Fitch. St. Pierre has learned his lesson.

"I've learned a lot of things," said St. Pierre, who will take a three-fight win streak and 16-2-0 professional record into the cage against Fitch. "A lot of things happened in my life. I don't want to give any excuses, but that night I got beat by a better man. For this fight everything is going well for me. Right now, I'm working really hard, making all the sacrifices. I haven't cut corners.

"Right now I realize what I have; I'm world champion. Last time I didn't really realize what I had in my hand. Now I know what it is and I don't want to lose it. I'm going to fight to win; I'm not going to fight not to lose. I'm going for the finish."

St. Pierre seems to have his attention squarely on Fitch, but what about Penn? Whenever talk of his defense against Fitch arises, the discussion quickly turns to that potential pound-for-pound rematch.

The champ, however, won't have any of it. He won't even mention Penn's name. Another lessoned learned.

"I don't even think about it. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Right now, I'm going to fight Jon Fitch for my first title defense and I have a chance to succeed where I failed last time.

"I feel this is a great challenge, not only because I am fighting who I think is the most dangerous guy I have fought so far, but also because last year -- almost a year-and-a-half to the day -- I lost my first title defense. Now I have a chance to redeem [myself] … where I can succeed where I failed last time."

This is a new and improved St. Pierre, a man completely focused on the task at hand. Unlike in the past, he now refuses to take any opponent for granted.

His higher level of focus could not have come at a better time. If ever there were a fighter not to take lightly, it is Fitch.

The former Purdue University wrestler is a physically strong fighter. Fitch might be the one welterweight who can control St. Pierre on the ground.[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Branimir Kvartuc

Jon Fitch, top, has risen up the welterweight ranks while keeping a relatively low profile.

He hasn't lost a bout in eight years and has handled every man put before him in UFC. Despite his success, Fitch is considered a heavy underdog. He has a theory why most fight fans don't give him much of a shot to beat the champ.

"Because of the way I came up in the UFC, people didn't see a lot of my fights," said Fitch, who is 19-2 with a no contest and is 8-0 in the Octagon. "People develop an attachment to fighters that they see fight live.

"A lot of fans still don't know who I am and haven't developed that kind of attachment or an appreciation for me. It's just the way things go, we have a stacked weight division and I kind of slipped through the cracks."

If Fitch is to pull off an upset, he must be competitive in the stand-up. And St. Pierre is expected to have a significant advantage when the fighters are on their feet.

Fitch doesn't see it quite that way.

"My wrestling opens up the ability for me to stand, because guys [must] respect the fact that I can take them down … it makes it easier to hit them," Fitch said. "They're so worried about getting taken down that it opens up my stand-up game a lot more."

If Fitch takes St. Pierre to the ground, likely at some point during the five-rounder, things become interesting. But no matter where the fight takes place, St. Pierre is confident he will have the edge.

St. Pierre is athletic and believes he is better than Fitch in every aspect of mixed martial arts. Days before the fight, St. Pierre is flowing with confidence.

"[The confidence] doesn't come from my athleticism; it comes from my mixed martial arts background and also from my trainers and training partners," St. Pierre said. "That's what I believe, but there is only one way to find out and we will find out Aug. 9."

angelbelow
08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
gsp ftw.

ATRAIN
08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/ufcppv/87

I love these little UFC vids

ATRAIN
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Does anyone actually believe that Fitch has a chance?

LEONARD
08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Does anyone actually believe that Fitch has a chance?

He has a better chance than Serra did... :lol

I think he has about a 20% chance of winning...

dbreiden83080
08-07-2008, 11:05 PM
The UFC countdown show on Spike, that just aired was amazing. Incredible odds Huerta has had to overcome.

djohn14
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM
God, I wasted my time following baseball. I really wanted to see that. Now I got to wait.

dbreiden83080
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM
God, I wasted my time following baseball. I really wanted to see that. Now I got to wait.

Catch the replay if you can. Hell i didn't know that much about Huerta before that show and his story was so incredible, he has my support come Sat for sure. They also did a good job with background on Fitch.

djohn14
08-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Just caught the weigh-ins. McCrory had glasses and Cummo had these big thick glasses and Rogan goes "McCrory/Cummo battle of the geeks!" haha.

dbreiden83080
08-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Just caught the weigh-ins. McCrory had glasses and Cummo had these big thick glasses and Rogan goes "McCrory/Cummo battle of the geeks!" haha.

Damn i missed it, is it on later at the UFC link or a different one?? It usually is. I have off work today, went down to Best Buy and picked up the UFC 83 dvd, been watching that and getting myself pumped up for tomorrow. I can't wait, this is a great card.

Evan
08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
why wasn't countdown to 87 shot in full HD?

Weird

Evan
08-08-2008, 06:39 PM
wow what a tear jerker...

well done.

djohn14
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
IDK, IDK, an IDK. It probably will be on UFC.com later.

Evan
08-08-2008, 07:00 PM

they normally show it they day of on spike.

Evan
08-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta have stuck with him since the beginning

Undercard:

Chris Wilson vs. Steve Bruno
Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen
Ben Saunders vs. Ryan Thomas
Luke Cummo vs. Tamdan McCrory
Andre Gusmao vs. Jon Jones

dbreiden83080
08-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Main card

GSP should have too much all around game for Fitch. He's a better athlete and has dominated highly decorated wrestlers in the past, (Koscheck, Hughes, Sherk), just to name a few.

Florian is the best fighter, that Huerta has fought so far. I was very un-impressed with Huerta in the Guida fight, he was very fortunate to come through that one as he was badly hurt and hung on for dear life. I think Kenny can finish Huerta, but i'll be rooting for Roger.

I'm picking Brock, really because i am a fan of his and want to see him excel in MMA. I have no idea who the hell is going to win that fight. For every expert that seems to feel, Herring has to much experience for Brock. I seem to be able to find another one that feels, Brock will run right through him, take him down and pound him out. Certainly if Brock wins, he has to win quickly. Obviously with only 2 MMA fights, the longer it goes, the more likelihood he'll mess up like he did with Frank and get Sub'd.

Should be a hell of a night of fights. :toast

dbreiden83080
08-08-2008, 09:18 PM

Yep it's up on UFC.com

LEONARD
08-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Kongo is ready...
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1023.jpg

Nerd fight...
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1029.jpg

MacDonald - Maia
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1041.jpg

So dreamy...
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1045.jpg

Should be good...have no preference on who I want to win...
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1048.jpg

Cock Chestnar!
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1053.jpg

Heath is supposed to be in great shape for this one...
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1056.jpg

http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1057.jpg

I don't want either to lose...
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1063.jpg
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1065.jpg

Rampage and Wanderlei were both there...
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1002.jpg
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1035.jpg

Just cuz...
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/080808ufc/1007.jpg

LEONARD
08-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Weigh-in video...is Rogan wearing capri's?
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/08/09/ufc-87-video-watch-the-weigh-ins-here/

LEONARD
08-09-2008, 08:52 AM
GSP vs Jon Fitch (WW Title)
Brock Lesnar vs Heath Herring
Kenny Florian vs Roger Huerta
Cheick Kongo vs Dan Evensen
Demian Maia vs Jason MacDonald
Andre Gusmao vs Jon Jones
Tamdan McCrory vs Luke Cummo
Manny Gamburyan vs Rob Emerson
Steve Bruno vs Chris Wilson
Ben Saunders vs Ryan Thomas

djohn14
08-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I want Huerta to win...but I wont be upset in the least if Florian wins...and thanks Leonard for picking Jon Jones...he will be the future...trust me...or you can laugh at me when he gets his ass kicked.

Evan
08-09-2008, 01:07 PM
The only people I want to lose is Heath. I just don't care for his "win our lose as long as I get paid" attitude.

cornbread
08-09-2008, 03:51 PM
gsp
lesnar
florian
maia
kongo
cummo
gamburyan
saunders

Anti.Hero
08-09-2008, 07:43 PM
oh shit luke cummo is on this card? That dude was pretty good at the UF match.

polandprzem
08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
:flipoff Lesnar

djohn14
08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Lesnar dominated...if he had any idea what he was doing he would be a top 5 HW. He is so big and strong, yet so fast. Herring got out of his full mounts way too easily though.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Brock Lesner= Holy Fucking Shit

GSP=MMA GOD

BJ Penn Your Next

What an event, that was awesome. :toast

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Herring got out of his full mounts way too easily though.

Give him a year and that won't be an issue. He just gave a legit Heavy, the beating of his life in only his 3rd MMA fight. The Heavy division is pissing themselves right now, Brock is a machine.

Evan
08-10-2008, 12:10 AM
amazing night of fights...just amazing...

will post thoughts tomorrow as I have up since 6am when I went to bed at 3am the same day, forgot to turn off my alarm so I have only slept 3 hours since Thursday....

holy sh*t tonight was amazing....

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 12:23 AM
amazing night of fights...just amazing...

will post thoughts tomorrow as I have up since 6am when I went to bed at 3am the same day, forgot to turn off my alarm so I have only slept 3 hours since Thursday....

holy sh*t tonight was amazing....

Best card of the year for me,

Get your thoughts tomorrow, but i don't think GSP has to fight BJ right away. Let that fight cook some more, until it is boiling over.

polandprzem
08-10-2008, 01:12 AM
BJ wants to fight cause he feels realy confident and Joe is praising him every UFC event. But he has lost to GSP already and GSP was not that good then. All in all it would be a great matchup. GSP was not looking good on the ground when Fitch was on him.

Damn, a great card !

Lesnar is not that great. He still was unable to dominate Herring having his back. Somebody who could control him on the ground (great BJJ) would submit him.

I had problems with streaming, but I saw a main event on a quite good quality and oryginal commentary :tu
Still will download it and watch it on normal quality and probably will burn it.
We will see.

Evan
08-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Awesome fights...cool seeing such a packed house...

can't imagine what Lesnar will look like with another 4 fights under his belt. He knocked Heath across the f*cking room! His post fight mockery was perfect for the sport...such a polarizing figure will do nothing but good.

GSP and Lesnar have 1 fight left under contract...Dana White has some big checks to write.

Mike Goldberg....Cro Cop was a former pride HW champion, eh?

djohn14
08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
I just want to take this time and congradulate the future....20 year old Jon Jones recorded his first win last night in the UFC via decision. It wasnt against a can either...IFL vet Andre Gusmao!

djohn14
08-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Oh, and I also want to give props to Fitch because even though he got his ass beat...he just took GSP five rounds. A couple time I just knew he was about to get KOed.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 10:31 AM
GSP and Lesnar have 1 fight left under contract...Dana White has some big checks to write.

They'll both be re-signed for mad money that is for sure. GSP is the future of this sport, in my opinion, he was amazing last night

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 10:40 AM
GSP was not looking good on the ground when Fitch was on him.

HUH??? He got reversed one time and, exploded out of it like 90 seconds, later and proceeded to pound on Fitch the rest of the Round. Fitch is another World Class wrestler who GSP destroyed. Who can take GSP down in that division and keep down?? Nobody can that i see.

"Lesnar is not that great. He still was unable to dominate Herring having his back. Somebody who could control him on the ground (great BJJ) would submit him."

Control him on the ground, are you kidding me, who is strong enough and a great enough wrestler to do that?? Brock is a lock to be on top of you. You have to get him from your back. His skills are not great yet but he looked amazing in this fight. First of all the guy has good stand-up. We saw it in this fight. He hits like a damn truck and his technique looked pretty good to me. He is the strongest, best wrestler in the Heavy division and that is not even close. He has a killer work ethic. At the end of the day, Herring is coming off a win against Kongo, who is a top heavy in the world and Lesner in his 3rd MMA fight handed him his ass. How can anyone not be blown away by that?? I get that some people still have a problem with him being an Ex-WWE wrestler, but that's all in the past. Brock is a legit MMA fighter now.

Evan
08-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Brock is also a world class NCAA wrestler

polandprzem
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
HUH??? He got reversed one time and, exploded out of it like 90 seconds, later and proceeded to pound on Fitch the rest of the Round. Fitch is another World Class wrestler who GSP destroyed. Who can take GSP down in that division and keep down?? Nobody can that i see.

Yeah Fitch could not control Saint-Pierre while on top of him because George is so damn good. Fitch was exhaused - that's a diferent story. But I must say and what I wanted to say is that was unusual situation for GSP. He tried to catch the cage :huh twice? wtf

As for Lesnar. Technique can beat strong any time, and yes I'm talking about submission being under the monster. I would like to see him against Nog as soon as possible.
And I wonder why Kongo is not getting much respect - he was off the card wtf?
Lesnar - Kongo could be nice as Kongo is realy strong dude as well as Brock. Kongo was also taking down Herring as easy as you can get.

Evan
08-10-2008, 11:21 AM
And I wonder why Kongo is not getting much respect - he was off the card wtf?

What do you mean? We saw him

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I think 2 things happened in the last few months in the world of MMA. Everyone saw that Kimbo Slice is a joke and not remotely the real deal and they now see that Brock is very much the real deal.

Evan
08-10-2008, 11:28 AM
^^^very true

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Evan do you know of any links where i can see the whole Post-Fight press conference and not just the clips on UFC.com?? I hate how they chop it all up like that.

polandprzem
08-10-2008, 11:55 AM
What do you mean? We saw him

He was not in the main card

polandprzem
08-10-2008, 12:01 PM
You will not say nothing bad about UFC are you?

djohn14
08-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I want to see one of the prelims....

Evan
08-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I want to see one of the prelims....

Luke Cummo vs. Tamden McCrory is rolling free on ufc.com

Evan
08-10-2008, 12:37 PM
He was not in the main card

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah I dunno why he was on the prelims and then Emerson v Manvel made it is beyond me. Doesn't make much sense.

You will not say nothing bad about UFC are you?

what?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Brock is a beast, but there were two openings for Herring to put him into a submission that he didn't take advantage of that someone like Congo would have.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
advantage of that someone like Congo would have.

Congo, is just a striker. He has no takedown defense and sucks on his back. I think Brock beats Congo right now.

Evan
08-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Brock is a beast, but there were two openings for Herring to put him into a submission that he didn't take advantage of................

seems to be a common theme from him....like his fight against Nog. Makes you think that perhaps he's not very aware of the fight he's in.

Evan
08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I'd love to see Lesnar Vs Rothwell .

ATRAIN
08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I think 2 things happened in the last few months in the world of MMA. Everyone saw that Kimbo Slice is a joke and not remotely the real deal and they now see that Brock is very much the real deal.

Hell yeah Brock is a fucking beast and I loved his antics at the end, reminds me of when Tito when he was good. Yeah once Brock works on his BJJ a little more and on his def he will be Heavy weight champ!! I would love to see Brock vs Kimbo so he could destroy him!!

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Hell yeah Brock is a fucking beast and I loved his antics at the end, reminds me of when Tito when he was good. Yeah once Brock works on his BJJ a little more and on his def he will be Heavy weight champ!! I would love to see Brock vs Kimbo so he could destroy him!!

Oh God, Kimbo just could not KO, some scrub with a bad chin, tailor made for him to look good against on National TV. He got taken down, gassed out and looked like crap. Kimbo would not even want to fight Brock. He'd get taken down and blasted in 2 min easy.

djohn14
08-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I do think Kongo could beat Lesnar. If Lesnar bull rushes him Kongo has a much better chance than Herring or Mir to KO him. He has one punch power.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I do think Kongo could beat Lesnar. If Lesnar bull rushes him Kongo has a much better chance than Herring or Mir to KO him. He has one punch power.

I'd like to see that fight, that is a good one to book next for Brock. Brock's team would have to work with him on a careful gameplan to avoid getting nailed by the Congo strikes. I think Brock would take it though. Brock looked pretty good on his feet, while Congo right now, is better in that area, he is terrible on the ground. Brock gets him down, and it is game over.

djohn14
08-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, he has supposedly been working on his groundgame and if that is so the HW division better watch out. He is a world class kickboxer. Lesner though has really impressed me with his striking. I too think Lesnar would take it, but for some reason I have always really like Kongo.

Anti.Hero
08-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Brock could literally be one of the most exciting MMAers to ever fight but boy is he boring once it gets to the ground.

The speed and power he had coming out of the gates, WOW.

djohn14
08-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Yea...Its a learning process for him...he has no idea what he's doing on the ground...but he knows how to keep it there.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Brock could literally be one of the most exciting MMAers to ever fight but boy is he boring once it gets to the ground.

The speed and power he had coming out of the gates, WOW.

The 1st RD has was very exciting, the other 2 not as much but Brock to me fought that fight on the ground safely. He knew he could control his man and he just needed to get the win. As he gets better and more well rounded, he should start taking more chances with the dominant positions he had on the ground.

Evan
08-10-2008, 05:46 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/2m4x5yg.jpg

BOOM!!!!!!!!!

I have watched this 15 times and I am still in awe at how amazing this punch was. A nice veteran feint left jab followed by a thundering crushing right.

And look at how perfectly he repositions himself right after he drops it.

Dude makes Herring look like a middle weight.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/2m4x5yg.jpg

BOOM!!!!!!!!!

I have watched this 15 times and I am still in awe at how amazing this punch was. A nice veteran feint left jab followed by a thundering crushing right.

And look at how perfectly he repositions himself right after he drops it.

Dude makes Herring look like a middle weight.

I almost jumped out of my living room when he landed that punch. I did not sit down for the rest of the fight. Thing about Brock that a lot of people are overlooking is, yes he is in-experienced however this is a Super-natural athlete. We see GSP able to dominate big time wrestlers, with better pedigrees in that area than him, thanks to how great an athlete he is and how fast his learning curve is. Brock to me looks like he is progressing at a scary level. Where he will be at in another 4 or 5 fights, could be amazing.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Where does Herring go from here?? Having watched the re-play numerous times, Heath not only got beaten up badly but he looked like he was humiliated after the fight was over. That is the thing about Brock coming to the UFC is that a lot of fighters were going to come in 100% ready to fight Brock because they were going to try and make an example of him and of course did not want to get beat by a former WWE wrestler. I think all the WWE, wrestler talk is pretty much gone now.

Evan
08-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Where does Herring go from here?? Having watched the re-play numerous times, Heath not only got beaten up badly but he looked like he was humiliated after the fight was over. That is the thing about Brock coming to the UFC is that a lot of fighters were going to come in 100% ready to fight Brock because they were going to try and make an example of him. Well now the whole "It would be Embarassing to lose to a former WWE wrestler" angle is out the window and he is just seen as a legit fighter.

Its an interesting question. He certainly is a HW gatekeeper in a shallow talent pool for the UFC and MMA as a whole.

He's the Clay Guida of heavy weights.

I don't want to see him go but he has no place in the title game for now....he's still a young dude and his entire mma future is ahead of him.

Hopefully he can re-evolve his game...dedicate himself to a new camp?

djohn14
08-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Where does Herring go from here?? Having watched the re-play numerous times, Heath not only got beaten up badly but he looked like he was humiliated after the fight was over. That is the thing about Brock coming to the UFC is that a lot of fighters were going to come in 100% ready to fight Brock because they were going to try and make an example of him and of course did not want to get beat by a former WWE wrestler. I think all the WWE, wrestler talk is pretty much gone now.
If Hardonk-Cain Velasquez wasnt on I'd say Velasquez-Herring would be ideal!...Imagine this Herring with a chance to prove he still belongs by beating a very good up and coming fighter who has great skills all around, and Velasquez with his chance to prove he belongs in the title picture, and even if he loses it wont hurt his status as a top prospect! Joe Silva admires my work!

Evan
08-10-2008, 07:46 PM
If Hardonk-Cain Velasquez wasnt on I'd say Velasquez-Herring would be ideal!...Imagine this Herring with a chance to prove he still belongs by beating a very good up and coming fighter who has great skills all around, and Velasquez with his chance to prove he belongs in the title picture, and even if he loses it wont hurt his status as a top prospect! Joe Silva admires my work!

Thats an interesting fight...

djohn14
08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Thats an interesting fight...

Thanks...but then again by the look of Herrings face he may be out for a while which would give Cain a chance to beat Hardonk and get ready for him lol.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks...but then again by the look of Herrings face he may be out for a while which would give Cain a chance to beat Hardonk and get ready for him lol.

Beat up physically but by the look on his face, i am wondering if we will see him in the UFC again. He just looked mentally destroyed. He's still pretty young though.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Really one last thing that nobody brought up was at the end of the GSP/Fitch fight, what great class and respect shown by both fighters. GSP and Fitch meeting at the center of the Octagon kneeling down and embracing, that was just wonderful to see. Fitch with his heart and the class he showed in defeat has made me a fan of his for life. :toast

LEONARD
08-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Fitch's chin and recovery ability is crazy...give him credit for going 5 rds. GSP vs Penn is the only thing that makes sense right now...BJ will train his ass off for that fight, but he won't for Florian (if that's who gets a LW shot next)...

Lesnar is a bulldozer...too much lay and pray for my taste though, but he did mix in some good GnP here and there. He's always going to be vulnerable to guys that are good off their back. He's in the mix, but needs more fights before facing the top guys in the UFC...Nog, Carwin, Velasquez. He's not at all ready for the top guys in the world.

Florian fought smart...Huerta didn't seem to fight with a sense of urgency. Good fight though.

I hate Rob Emerson...I'll always wish failure on him...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/story/2007/11/20/15396/341

Kongo smashed the can like he was supposed to...please shut-up about a title shot dude...

and Jason MacDonald is an idiot...he talked shit all week about this being MMA, not BJJ. Then he goes and fights Maia's fight, and while he got thru a couple of subs I didn't think he'd get through, he still got choked out. My favorite part was the douche-bag Mark Pavelich (the guy that left the VM for Drew Fickett last month) yelling at him in the corner after the 2nd rd to keep it standing and knock him out. Then he went straight to the ground again I wish failure on anybody that dumb enough to have Pavelich in their corner. Biggest douche-bag in MMA... (he runs MFC in Canada). A guy like Maia might be the biggest threat to Anderson Silva. Give him a couple more fights and he might be in line for a shot...

Evan
08-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Lesnar is a bulldozer...too much lay and pray for my taste though, but he did mix in some good GnP here and there. He's always going to be vulnerable to guys that are good off their back. He's in the mix, but needs more fights before facing the top guys in the UFC...Nog, Carwin, Velasquez. He's not at all ready for the top guys in the world....

Agree 100%. But I think he will evolve….Herring is no joke and Lesnar obviously has incredible natural ability. Very excited to see what he does as time goes on.

Then he went straight to the ground again I wish failure on anybody that dumb enough to have Pavelich in their corner. Biggest douche-bag in MMA... (he runs MFC in Canada). A guy like Maia might be the biggest threat to Anderson Silva. Give him a couple more fights and he might be in line for a shot...

As a side note…while without question Pavelich is a bit of a scum bag promoter and I don't like him, MFC is an awesome show so anyone who hasn't seen it should really check it out.

The camera and sound work is always top notch and they put on a awesome regional show on HDnet. Its basically the Canadian Strikeforce.

ATRAIN
08-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I was a little bit disappointed Brock didnt finish off Herring, but I blame that on inexperience. Like breiden said in 4 or 5 fights he could be just amazing. Did anyone notice that even after 3 rounds Brock was just slightly winded. Guy is in amazing shape and his cardio is just......WOW.

desflood
08-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I gotta say it: I don't like Brock Lesnar. Something about that 'roided up monster just has irked me since the day he showed up on the scene in the WWE. Yes, I watch it occasionally. Sue me. His post-fight "celebrations" didn't sit well with me either. I know a lot of them do it, but it doesn't make it right. I hate that guy.

Of course, none of that matters to him. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank this morning.

ATRAIN
08-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I gotta say it: I don't like Brock Lesnar. Something about that 'roided up monster just has irked me since the day he showed up on the scene in the WWE. Yes, I watch it occasionally. Sue me. His post-fight "celebrations" didn't sit well with me either. I know a lot of them do it, but it doesn't make it right. I hate that guy.

Of course, none of that matters to him. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank this morning.

LOL im actually the opposite. When Brock first came in and gave his first F5, I was impressed by the guy. His strength and power were uncanny. He is not cut up the way he used to be so im sure he is off the juice and we all know when your off the juice you lose all you gained during. He is a awesome collegiate wrestler and an amazing athlete. I loved his post fight antics and like Evan said, its going to be great for the sport. Also if he continues to kick ass and take names, he might even bring in some WWE fans that havent converted to MMA. Des, I can see why you hate him but you have to admit, he is a monster in the ring.

desflood
08-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Oh, he definitely racked up a good win. Most of my ire probably just comes from being a Herring fan and not liking seeing him embarrassed that way. And the mockery after was just adding insult to injury. Like Tito's gravedigging. Man, I hate that sh*t. Completely tasteless. Now, I mightcould (for all you rednecks; we are in Texas) cheer for Lesnar in the future if he developed some sort of ground game. It's so hard to watch wrestlers lay-n-pray for 15 minutes.

Evan
08-11-2008, 09:59 AM

That's what it is all about...

That guy is going to make so many people love and hate him the PPV numbers will be insane with him. Just like Tito when he was doing well.

dbreiden83080
08-11-2008, 11:57 AM
That's what it is all about...

That guy is going to make so many people love and hate him the PPV numbers will be insane with him. Just like Tito when he was doing well.

That's right and Dana has to be giddy over this. I'm sure, He signed Brock, really thinking "Okay worst case scenario, he is a bust but, everyone will pay to see him fight at least once and we'll get big numbers on that one fight and make a lot of money". Instead, he loses his first fight but shows tremendous promise in the loss. So everyone was curious how he would do in his 2nd fight. In his 2nd fight, he utterly dominates a top flight Heavy. The guy has a huge fanbase, is charasmatic and looks like he is going to play the heel role like a drum when he needs too.

ATRAIN
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
That's right and Dana has to be giddy over this. I'm sure, He signed Brock, really thinking "Okay worst case scenario, he is a bust but, everyone will pay to see him fight at least once and we'll get big numbers on that one fight and make a lot of money". Instead, he loses his first fight but shows tremendous promise in the loss. So everyone was curious how he would do in his 2nd fight. In his 2nd fight, he utterly dominates a top flight Heavy. The guy has a huge fanbase, is charasmatic and looks like he is going to play the heel role like a drum when he needs too.

LOL heel role, ok we need to totally drop the wrestling terms. As much as I agree with you and its obvious he is bringing his "persona" with him, im really really giddy as well. I loved seeing him be the beast that he is and would love to see the gold around his waist.

Evan
08-11-2008, 04:18 PM
From Jordan Breen, sherdog

After a 15-minute emasculation of Heath Herring (Pictures), even in the face of other notable Saturday night happenings, I was fully aware Brock Lesnar (Pictures) was going to dominate my inbox come Sunday morning. However, I expected most of the discussion to be centered on his obvious potential as a heavyweight, with requests for me to impersonate Joe Silva by forecasting Lesnar's future fighting engagements.

Instead, I have been swarmed with and puzzled by dozens and dozens of choleric and venomous messages from incensed fans who have apparently suffered damaged psyches at the hands of Brock Lesnar's in-cage antics.

That's right: Lesnar's curb-stomping of Herring is no longer the issue. What's really important, what's really stuck in the craw of fans, is Brock Lesnar laughing at Herring while assaulting him, and an imaginary bull roping of the Texan following the fight.

This is seriously an issue?

We're embroiled in an unfortunate era of professional athletics where major sports leagues have become comically stringent toward the perceived "excesses" of celebration. The NFL has been tabbed "the No Fun League,” has had to ban the use of "props,” and regularly hands out "excessive celebration" penalties. In the NBA, you can wag your finger to the crowd, but do it in the direction of an opposing player, and you're facing a fine, never mind the resulting insanity if you make a throat slash, or throw up a Roc-a-Fella dynasty diamond with your fingers. Major League Baseball? Fist pump too hard in the wrong inning after a strikeout, and feel the wrath of millions of crusty octogenarians who still keep score in their pocketbooks at the ball park.

Your most hardened sports fans may see contemporary celebrations as a tad on the ridiculous side, but can still acknowledge that even the most inane dance and pantomime is nothing to be vexed by. In fact, it probably adds a little something to the game by introducing a measure of villainy. If sports fans are to lament this hyper-individualistic era of athletics, shouldn't we have individual antagonists?

However, if this is the overwhelming sentiment from general sports fans, why are so many MMA fans angered by Brock Lesnar's Saturday night shenanigans?

"Does he know he's in a real sport now?" one rankled emailer wrote me. "This is not how MMA fighters in the biggest organization in the world act. He should have looked at the guy in the main event, and taken notes."

My only question: Which guy in the main event? The guy who breakdances and back-flips after victory, or the guy who mean-mugs at the camera, snarling and sneering?

You can't throw up a post-fight fist pump without punching another elite level MMA fighter with a post-fight trademark. Chuck Liddell (Pictures) screams. Takanori Gomi (Pictures) surfs on the turnbuckle, and Eddie Alvarez (Pictures) back-flips off of it. Thiago Silva (Pictures) and Josh Barnett (Pictures) have the market cornered on throat slashing. Yushin Okami (Pictures) shows off his swordsmanship. Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures) assails cameramen. This truncated list doesn't even account for those who are prone to spontaneous post-fight celebration like BJ Penn, who is liable to lick his opponent's blood or dead-sprint to the locker room after a W, or Anderson Silva (Pictures), who has dressed up in full Moonwalker garb and given us rhythm guitar lessons after kayos. All of these actions are just as much overtures to the soul of pro-wrestling as those of Lesnar, who is still chided for his WWE wrasslin' tenure.

So, either we have a predictable double-standard at work, or there's some other overlooked aspect.

After responding to another up-in-arms emailer by pointing out that MMA is rife and rich with celebratory silliness, I got a response that perhaps gets us to the kernel of the matter.

"Fighters like BJ and Anderson are free to do whatever they want after they win because they earned it," I was told. "Lesnar has two wins in MMA. He isn't the UFC champion. He just makes an unsportsmanlike ass out of himself. Laughing the way he did during the fight was classless."

Never mind the absurd notion that the ability to celebrate athletic triumph is reserved for top-10 fighters. Am I really to believe that four months and change removed from Mike Kyle (Pictures) getting a televised fight on one of the biggest fight cards of the year, and with Gilbert Yvel (Pictures) just having signed with Dream, that Brock Lesnar's lukewarm cowboy impression are really indicative of unsportsmanlike conduct in MMA?

If Brock Lesnar wants to laugh at his opponents during a fight as he did to Herring, so be it. If his opponents don't want to be mocked in the middle of a match, they ought to learn how to do more than turtle perpetually.

Some cranky old football purists lament the state of the game, but laud more contemporary figures like Barry Sanders and LaDainian Tomlinson because when they score touchdowns, they simply hand the ball to the referee.

"Act like you've been there before," they all pseudo-wistfully say. But Brock Lesnar didn't dive the pile from the two yard line. In his third pro MMA fight, he beat a perennially solid albeit unspectacular heavyweight, in the biggest MMA organization in the world, in front of a partisan crowd on a major pay-per-view. Let the man get his bull rope on. Heath Herring fights in a cage for a living -- I think he can handle an imaginary lasso.

Although traditional martial arts have become scorned and derided in many MMA contexts, there still exists an almost cartoonish, Ken Shamrock (Pictures)-esque obsession with the idea of "respect" in MMA, and that those who don't abide are in violation of some mystical modern samurai code. The fact of the matter is that the sport we watch and enjoy isn't some overwrought honorific combative ritual. It's a prizefight, with grown-ass men trying to prove who the alpha male is. While we all certainly want to see fighters fight clean, hard, and fair, I fail to recognize why some fans are keen to demonize showboating more so than actual in-fight lawlessness.

If you want a testament to the power and place that pro-wrestling gimmickry and showboating have in this sport, look no further than Tito Ortiz (Pictures). His maybe, maybe-not signing with Affliction was the biggest story of last week in the MMA world, despite the looming UFC 87 card. And what for? Ortiz hasn't beaten an elite-level opponent in years. In fact, his period of dominance in the sport is hard to remember in terms of actual action. Apart from slamming Evan Tanner (Pictures) through the floor, and his commercially successful but competitively handicapped smashing of Ken Shamrock, what do you remember about Tito Ortiz's UFC title reign, except for the Belfort fight being cancelled 60 times and him not fighting Chuck Liddell (Pictures)? You remember the six-shooter pistols. You remember flipping the double birds. You remember the Gravedigger. And for some reason, years later, he's still worth millions when he fights, and that includes your hard-earned dollars.

I'm not long for this world of "Great fight, bro,” and shared embraces for any remotely competitive fight. While I could do without a sport full of Ricardo Mayorgas, I'm all for some good old-fashioned pro-wrestling heel tactics. American MMA needs to step up its game anyhow: Ricardo Arona (Pictures) doesn't have a major deal, Josh Koscheck (Pictures) isn't singing "17-1", and Tim Sylvia (Pictures) still just wants to be loved. Since Yoshihiro Akiyama (Pictures) is well-settled (and well-compensated) as Japan's super-villain, somebody needs to angrily galvanize the MMA public.

If Lesnar's laugh-and-lasso annoyed, offended or even outraged you: good. But if you think for a minute that there's "no place" for this pro-wrestling gimmickry in MMA, Dana White will chap your thin hide all the way to bank. And thank God, because I've had all the clichéd "respect" I can handle.

(PS: Enjoy Gilbert Yvel's Dream debut.)

dbreiden83080
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM
"Does he know he's in a real sport now?" one rankled emailer wrote me. "This is not how MMA fighters in the biggest organization in the world act. He should have looked at the guy in the main event, and taken notes."

My only question: Which guy in the main event? The guy who breakdances and back-flips after victory, or the guy who mean-mugs at the camera, snarling and sneering?

LOL, that is funny. Well GSP usually only does that when he finishes a fight, that was such a war with Fitch they just embraced and we all know GSP is a class act. I had no major problem at all with what Brock did. He mocked roping him in, and laughed at him once, big deal. Dana White said that "Herring talking a lot of shit about Brock and that he did not even understand why he had to fight him" Bottom line, he won the fight, he looked impressive, the crowd went nuts, he's for real, move on haters.

dallaskd
08-11-2008, 08:27 PM
GSP was 100% all class. Fitch is a warrior just for staying in the fight. Lesnar is a cocky ass hole who has done nothing yet in his career so far. He should take an example from St.Pierre. Kongo and Emerson had good KOs. But ive never liked Emerson and never will. Florian is just straight up gangsta. what a badass fight with Huerta. MacDonald-Maia was fotn IMO. great night of fights. cant wait till BJ vs GSP!

dallaskd
08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Press Conference was funny...

Jon do you think you hurt him at all?

Fitch: God I hope.

(laughs)

Fitch: I sure was trying to

Evan
08-11-2008, 09:30 PM
GSP was 100% all class. Fitch is a warrior just for staying in the fight. Lesnar is a cocky ass hole who has done nothing yet in his career so far. He should take an example from St.Pierre. Kongo and Emerson had good KOs. But ive never liked Emerson and never will. Florian is just straight up gangsta. what a badass fight with Huerta. MacDonald-Maia was fotn IMO. great night of fights. cant wait till BJ vs GSP!

I dunno man...beating Herring is nothing to dismiss.

And having someone with talent that makes so many hate him is great for the sport...even as classless as that. I think Breen's article does a wonderful job addressing this.

cornbread
08-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I
and Jason MacDonald is an idiot...he talked shit all week about this being MMA, not BJJ. Then he goes and fights Maia's fight, and while he got thru a couple of subs I didn't think he'd get through, he still got choked out.

A guy like Maia might be the biggest threat to Anderson Silva. Give him a couple more fights and he might be in line for a shot...

Right on Leonard.

I was arguing with a friend of mine before the fight. He didn't think Maia would be able to get it to the ground because he's too one dimensional. My opinion is that Maia is the now of grappling/bjj and is in his prime as a competitor. He's arguably as good as anybody can get at grappling/bjj. When guys are that good, they know how to get it to the ground.

And grappling/bjj has evolved so much in mma. It's not just the subs guys have to watch out for. If you get an adcc champ like Maia mounting you, you might just get your face smashed like MacDonald did.

dbreiden83080
08-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Seeing his UFC All Access show he does not come off as a cocky asshole to me. He seemed like a down to earth, hard-working guy. He is however an emotional guy and that was a very emotional fight for him. First big win in the UFC against a very tough opponent, fighting in his backyard. The roping Herring motion he did, i thought was funny and not a big deal at all. He should not have laughed at him. But as the article states, everyone does these in-ring antics and Brock knows how to sell fights. It's all part of the game.

dbreiden83080
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I also think BJ is biting off more than he can chew with wanting this Re-Match with GSP. He is a great fighter but he is not a natural 170 pounder. GSP is so much better now than he was in that first fight. His wrestling is off the charts and he got 4 takedowns total in RDS 2 and 3 in his first fight with BJ. He had a bad first RD but the main damage he took in that RD was BJ hitting him with his thumb-nail causing a cut under his eye. GSP landed jabs, and many leg kicks in all 3 RDS of that fight. His Stand up is better now and his wrestling is all world. BJ has better conditioning now, but how will that translate to 170 pds?? GSP is a naturally bigger guy, more suited to that weight class. I think it will be a good fight, but in a 5rd title fight, i think GSP is going to wear BJ out. Honestly what has BJ done at 170 to really deserve this shot?? This is just a fans fight, BJ didn't earn the shot.

LEONARD
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Douche...

Props: Matt-Hughes.com

Quoteworthy:

Georges didn’t look as big as he has before and he seemed like he had gotten tired from the first round. Fitch had the game plan of countering Georges and you just can’t do that. You can’t counter a quicker fighter. To be honest, halfway in the third round I got up and walked out of the arena and went to my hotel. The fight wasn’t the most exciting and I wanted to get out of there before everyone else was getting up to leave.

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes shares his thoughts on the main event from UFC 87 “Seek and Destroy” on August 9. The Hillsboro, Ill., native may have been recalling the post-fight remarks made by Georges St. Pierre after Hughes defeated BJ Penn at UFC 63, or he may have just been ‘extremely bored’ as he admits to getting at live events.

LEONARD
08-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Jason MacDonald knows what everybody else was already saying…
http://mmamania.com/2008/08/12/ufc-quick-quote-jason-macdonald-feels-stupid/

polandprzem
08-12-2008, 09:19 AM
what?

Well you are realy high on UFC like it is the only organization with fighters. Like they have the best fighters in the world (which prob is true) and other fighters have no quality ... nevermind

But what I want to say is you talking like Lesnar is top fighter in the world. And how great that fight was. The fight was good. But Brock didn't knew what he wanted to do on the ground. He is boring and ... why the showoff?

Too soon to tell IMO where he belongs in HW div.

As for UFC and promotion. Dana must be high on Jardine - he gives him good opponents. jardine on every fight saying that he do not belive he in underdog in "that' fight. But then he losses against Houston Alexander and Wandy in a devastated fashion hmm
As for Alexander - he demolished Jardine and Sacara the he loses two matches and we do not know if he will stay in UFC (he will be in next fight night I think).

Lesnar is not convincing me and I hate the guy from the get go.

desflood
08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Douche...

Quoteworthy:

Georges didn’t look as big as he has before and he seemed like he had gotten tired from the first round. Fitch had the game plan of countering Georges and you just can’t do that. You can’t counter a quicker fighter. To be honest, halfway in the third round I got up and walked out of the arena and went to my hotel. The fight wasn’t the most exciting and I wanted to get out of there before everyone else was getting up to leave.

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes shares his thoughts on the main event from UFC 87 “Seek and Destroy” on August 9. The Hillsboro, Ill., native may have been recalling the post-fight remarks made by Georges St. Pierre after Hughes defeated BJ Penn at UFC 63, or he may have just been ‘extremely bored’ as he admits to getting at live events.
More like "extremely smashed". Fox Sports had a clip of Hughes predicting the win right before the fight and he was, as he usually is at the live events, three sheets to the wind. Very red-faced and slurring some pretty simple words :lol

Evan
08-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Well you are realy high on UFC like it is the only organization with fighters.

I watch every single piece of MMA that is shown on camera and have for a long time. Yeah I am really high on the UFC and so should every MMA fan. They give us a constant stream of fights with incredible cards.

For God's sake…on a thread just yesterday I am praising MFC which is a f*cking regional show in Canada…you're way off base here and I think your comment sucks.

Like they have the best fighters in the world (which prob is true) and other fighters have no quality ... nevermind?

Every other org has awesome fighters as well and I have never trashed a org based on its quality of fighters, not once. Ever. If I have been critical of anything its their business moves and considering how many of them are failing I feel justified. I have no problem with Kimbo, I just have a problem with him being showcased as the face of MMA like Shaw was doing.

But what I want to say is you talking like Lesnar is top fighter in the world. And how great that fight was. The fight was good. But Brock didn't knew what he wanted to do on the ground. He is boring and ... why the showoff?

You're getting onto me because I am amazed at him beating a world class fighter?

I'm not saying he is the best in the world nor have I even hinted at it. I made it pretty clear I think he has a few more years ahead of him.

ATRAIN
08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Douche...

Quoteworthy:

I can't stand Hughes.

polandprzem
08-12-2008, 10:41 AM
In short

I went too far :D

Did not wanted to piss you off or offend you.
And I was more general (thinking bout american MMA fans) talking to you.

And what's worse - that I'm decreassing in English. So I have got no flow in writing what causes me to use simple words and that can lead to misunderstanding sometimes

dbreiden83080
08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Douche...

Quoteworthy:

Will you please just fight Matt Serra already and retire you Jag-Off :rolleyes

Leave the WW division to GSP and the contenders and stop talking out of your ass Matt

Evan
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
In short

I went too far :D

Did not wanted to piss you off or offend you.
And I was more general (thinking bout american MMA fans) talking to you.

And what's worse - that I'm decreassing in English. So I have got no flow in writing what causes me to use simple words and that can lead to misunderstanding sometimes

No worries.

I definitely favor UFC without question but I never miss a small show and appreciate them all to a degree.

Evan
08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Will you please just fight Matt Serra already and retire you Jag-Off :rolleyes

Leave the WW division to GSP and the contenders and stop talking out of your ass Matt

I would love to see him face Serra and you may get your wish as those guys are so broken down they may only have 1 big one left in them.

LEONARD
08-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Video of BJ Penn at UFC 87, with Rampage, Hughes, etc. I didn’t notice he was carrying a video camera when he got in the ring with GSP.
http://www.bjpenn.com/video/video/show?id=2022293%3AVideo%3A204896

dbreiden83080
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
^^^^

BJ is letting himself go in-between fights again.

djohn14
08-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Here is a prelim in Jon Jones and Andre Gusmao...I know its not the best in the world, but real nice quality, and if you have some spare time you should check it out. Jon Jones has trained in MMA for 9 months. He is 21 years old. He is a great wrestler, and coming into this fight was 6-0 with 5 KOs and 1 sub. I could really see him being a force in this division before too long.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Jon_Jones_vs__Andre_Gusmao_UFC_87_Seek_and_Destro y?vid=10001039&tid=100

Evan
08-13-2008, 11:11 AM
^^^^

BJ is letting himself go in-between fights again.

I don't get why he does that.

dbreiden83080
08-13-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't get why he does that.

He's always lacked great Discipline

angelbelow
08-13-2008, 07:39 PM
did brocks antics remind anyone of tito? haha

Evan
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
did brocks antics remind anyone of tito? haha

Yup!!!!

IMO, while classes and childish...

its good for the sport.

While I loath Tito I dearly wish he would get it back together and become an elite fighter again.

dallaskd
08-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Video of BJ Penn at UFC 87, with Rampage, Hughes, etc. I didn’t notice he was carrying a video camera when he got in the ring with GSP.
http://www.bjpenn.com/video/video/show?id=2022293%3AVideo%3A204896

lmao at rampage dancing.

ATRAIN
08-14-2008, 05:27 PM
for those of you who are still excited about Lesnar

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mcWKrCkd8Pk&color1=11645361&color2=13619151&hl= en&fs=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mcWKrCkd8Pk&color1=11645361&color2=13619151&hl= en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dbreiden83080
08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I would love to see him face Serra and you may get your wish as those guys are so broken down they may only have 1 big one left in them.

I don't know if they are broken down so much as they are just not big time contenders in that division, especially Serra. Hughes i don't see as having lost too much, the game has just evolved now to the point where he can't just take guys down and bash them on the ground. His stand-up has always been awful, so if he can't get the GSP's and Thiago Alves of the world down, he is going to get KO'd. As far as Serra goes, when he fights Hughes it is do or die for him. He has to win that fight if he wants to be on another main card in the UFC in the future. That is the problem with Serra. He hit the friggin Lotto when he beat GSP. Now he got smoked in the re-match and there really are not any top guys at that weight class he can beat. Maybe there are some guys he can fight at 155.