PDA

View Full Version : Prep basketball: Minnesotan scores 90

sickdsm
02-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Makes the 30 pt blowout by Phx seem tame.

Prep basketball: Minnesotan scores 90

Roman Augustoviz,* Star Tribune
February 3, 2005 CASH0203

On a night he wasn't sure he wanted to play, Cash Eggleston ended up making state basketball history by shattering a 47-year-old record.

The 5-foot-9-1/2 senior guard scored 90 points Wednesday night as Minnesota Transitions, a south Minneapolis charter school, routed visiting Community of Peace Academy 153-69 in a Metro Lakes Conference boys' high school basketball game.

Eggleston also broke the state record for most three-points shots made in a game.

His team, a third-year-program with a first-year coach, set the record for most points scored in a game.

Eggleston was bothered by a sore left shoulder from an injury suffered the night before in an 80-76 loss to Minneapolis Roosevelt in which he had 19 points.

"I really didn't feel like playing," he said. "But I was hitting 90 percent of my three-pointers in warmups so I knew I would have a good game."
Eggleston also broke the state record for most three-points shots.
Jeff Wheeler
Star Tribune

He broke a record set on Jan. 28, 1958, by Norm Grow, a 6-4 forward for Foley, who scored 70 points -- long before there were any three-point shots.

Eggleston shattered that mark in the third quarter, which he finished with 82 points.

"Basically my coach [John Sherman] said if I was on fire at the beginning of the first half, we would shoot for the record, Eggleston said. "I had 39 points in the first quarter. I was really hot."

As a 10-year-old, when he was already 5-9, Eggleston was considered to be a basketball phenom. But he didn't grow any taller after that, and has mostly been out of the limelight since.

The Wolves, 18-3, had scored 100 points eight other times this season. Community of Peace, a St. Paul charter school, is now 2-9.

"No. 10 [Eggleston] shot the lights out," said Community of Peace coach Dan Kuss. "We did everything we could to stop him. We went to a box-and-one [defense]. It got to the point that we just tried to get somebody in front of him to cover his eyes, and he still hit [his shots]."

The 153 points by Minnesota Transitions was another state record. The old mark was 146 points set by Atwater in 1958.

Eggleston made 20 of 25 three-point shots in the game at the King of Grace Church gym in Golden Valley. The 20 three-pointers obliterated a third state record by nine.

Eggleston, who transferred from Edina at the start of this school year, went into the game averaging 23.6 points and had made 54 thee-pointers.

Kuss said he could tell what Sherman and his Wolves were trying to do and could somewhat relate. "I had the school record of 40 at my high school, so I know what that's like," Kuss said. "I was on fire, too. That was for Fairfax in 1974.

"We shook hands and kind of smiled at each other. [Sherman] said thanks for being a good sport," Kuss said. "Everybody in the whole place was pretty excited."