PDA

View Full Version : Spurs keep Thomas in town

Blackjack
07-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Spurs keep Thomas in town

Jeff McDonald - Express-News

When the Spurs acquired Kurt Thomas and his soon-to-be-expiring contract from Seattle in February, they did so hoping he would be more than just a four-month rental.

“We were hoping he'd finish his career here,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

On Tuesday, the Spurs took a large step toward making that wish a reality.

Thomas, a veteran center-forward, removed himself from the free-agent market by signing a new contract with the Spurs, the team announced.

Financial terms of the deal were not immediately available, but Thomas told the Express-News his new pact was good for the next two seasons.

For Thomas, who will turn 36 in October before opening his 14th NBA season, that qualifies as a long-term deal. It could be the last pro contract he ever signs.

“Every player in the league wants a little security,” Thomas said Tuesday from his home in the Dallas area. “It's been a goal of mine to play 15 years, and this will take me to my 15th season.”

It is a goal the Spurs are all too happy to help Thomas reach.

Enticing him back to San Antonio was a priority this offseason, even before Tiago Splitter — the 7-foot Brazilian who was the Spurs' top draft choice in 2007 — opted to remain in Spain for at least the next two seasons.

Acquired in the trade-deadline swap that sent Francisco Elson and the rights to Brent Barry to Seattle, the 6-foot-9 Thomas averaged 4.5 points and 4.9 rebounds in the final 28 games for the Spurs.

Thomas played in all 17 playoff games, starting eight of them, and averaged 4.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in those.

Spurs officials, who consider Thomas more vital to last season's run to the conference finals than his raw numbers indicate, are pleased to have him back.

“He's a pro,” Buford said. “He has great maturity and presence in the locker room, and winning a championship is important to him. When you combine those things, it's easy to understand why he's here.”

Thomas spent the past three weeks gauging interest from other teams, most notably Miami and the Los Angeles Lakers. All along, he maintained his preference was to return to San Antonio.

The Spurs could offer Thomas more money, and perhaps more playing time, than any other suitor.

“From the beginning, Kurt wanted to be here, and we wanted to keep him here,” Buford said. “Our discussions with him and his representatives were always proactive and efficient and specific toward keeping him here.”

Thomas cast the decision to come back to San Antonio as a no-brainer.

“It wasn't tough at all,” he said. “I really enjoy playing with Timmy (Duncan) and Manu (Ginobili) and Tony (Parker). I liked being around the guys, I liked playing for (coach Gregg Popovich), and the fans were great fans. That kind of made it a real easy decision.”

In the meantime, for the Spurs, the business of putting together the rest of next season's roster goes on.

With Thomas, the Spurs have 11 players under contract for next season, with a 12th — first-round draft pick George Hill — expected to sign in the weeks to come.

There remains a strong possibility the team will sign one or both of its second-round picks — Malik Hairston out of Oregon and James Gist from Maryland.

For now, Thomas has one outstanding order of business.

He ended last season with his worldly possessions scattered between homes in Seattle and Dallas and a hotel room in San Antonio. He will spend the rest of the summer consolidating his belongings and looking for more permanent accommodations in the city where, perhaps, he will finish his career.

“I really enjoyed the short time I was with the team last year,” Thomas said. “I really didn't like the way things ended (short of the Finals). I'm ready to get back and try and do better.”

Horry in limbo: It is appearing more and more like Robert Horry's days as a Spur are over.

Horry, who won two of his seven NBA championships with the Spurs, has said he wants to play a 17th NBA season and would prefer to do it in San Antonio. However, dialogue between Horry and the Spurs has been scant.

Thomas' decision to re-sign could mark the end of Horry's days in silver and black. Unless Horry attracts interest elsewhere, he could be forced to retire, putting an end to his distinguished career as one of the top NBA role players of all-time.

Manu returns: Ginobili was back on a basketball court Tuesday for the first time since Game 5 of the Western Conference finals.

Playing for Argentina's national team in an Olympic warm-up game against Spain in Madrid, Ginobili scored 18 points in a 90-88 victory for the Spaniards.

It marked the first action of the summer for the Spurs guard, who had been nursing an injured ankle since early in the NBA postseason.

ducks
07-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Thomas told the Express-News his new pact was good for the next two seasons.

T Park
07-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Good to know one of my jerseys is safe :tu :lol

ducks
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101766&page=3

TR0ME
Why resign Kurt Thomas?? my God help us all!! In the time it took me to blog this, Kurt just missed another 10 practice shots........the dude has bad Karma written all over him. NEVER SIGN A GUY, YOU DESTROYED TO WIN YOU FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP!!

GET IT GOT IT......GOOD

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/2001/01/23/knicks_bucks_ap/t1_thomas_ap.jpghttp://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/1999/1228/photo/a_kurt.jpg Brain Damage hurts your Defensive Skills....

timvp
07-23-2008, 12:41 AM
So McDonald can't even get the contract details? Every other beat writer for every other NBA team would get the numbers. I guess we'll have to wait for someone else to do the dirty work :rolleyes

Blackjack
07-23-2008, 12:55 AM
So McDonald can't even get the contract details? Every other beat writer for every other NBA team would get the numbers. I guess we'll have to wait for someone else to do the dirty work :rolleyes

It's Jeff's way of standing out. :lol

I used to expect to be informed by Ludden, but with McDonald?

Well, McDonald does a good job of utilizing Spurs Talk to keep his job.

Spurs Brazil
07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Horry in limbo: It is appearing more and more like Robert Horry's days as a Spur are over.

Horry, who won two of his seven NBA championships with the Spurs, has said he wants to play a 17th NBA season and would prefer to do it in San Antonio. However, dialogue between Horry and the Spurs has been scant.

Thomas' decision to re-sign could mark the end of Horry's days in silver and black. Unless Horry attracts interest elsewhere, he could be forced to retire, putting an end to his distinguished career as one of the top NBA role players of all-time.

And McDonald doesn't even know R.C already said Horry is gone

1Parker1
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
^When/where did RC already say Horry is gone?

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
^When/where did RC already say Horry is gone?

When the Spurs played the D-League all-stars in RMR.