PDA

View Full Version : Your Balls

07-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Are not as big as his (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2445513/Royal-Marine-who-jumped-on-grenade-awarded-George-Cross.html)

mrsmaalox
07-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Are not as big as his (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2445513/Royal-Marine-who-jumped-on-grenade-awarded-George-Cross.html)

"When I see it I'm constantly reminded how lucky I am," he said.

And when I saw this, I was reminded how lucky we are!! :toast

DarkReign
07-23-2008, 09:16 AM

....cant argue.

dimsah
07-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Holy shit! That's incredible.

fatsack
07-23-2008, 10:10 AM
neither is my backpack...

but still... dude has major nads for jumping on a grenade.

FromWayDowntown
07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I feel extremely ridiculous about complaining about work today.

peewee's lovechild
07-23-2008, 12:04 PM

He's a Royal Marine, not an American Marine.

peewee's lovechild
07-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Still, he's pretty ballsy.

E20
07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
The Marine had less than seven seconds to make up his mind on whether to risk sacrificing his own life to save his friends when the hand grenade rolled onto the ground during an operation in Afghanistan earlier this year.
7 seconds, I would have picked up the grenade and thrown it/kicked it in the opposite direction.

mrsmaalox
07-23-2008, 01:05 PM
He's a Royal Marine, not an American Marine.

Yes I know. He's on our side right?

MaNuMaNiAc
07-23-2008, 01:27 PM
True hero that one! Now here's someone people should be asking autographs from!

manufor3
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
7 seconds, I would have picked up the grenade and thrown it/kicked it in the opposite direction.

kicking it wouldn't be very smart.

E20
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
kicking it wouldn't be very smart.

If you say so, I've never dealt with grenades personally.

peewee's lovechild
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes I know. He's on our side right?

He's on Great Brittain's side.

T Park
07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Great Brittain's side is our side.

peewee's lovechild
07-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Great Brittain's side is our side.

Remind them of that when they withdraw from Iraq before the Americans want them to.

mrsmaalox
07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
He's on Great Brittain's side.

Remember? You're either with us, or against us?! Doesn't really matter, I'm still appreciative :)

peewee's lovechild
07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
You're either with us, or against us?!

Ha.

We know which way you're voting.

mrsmaalox
07-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Ha.

We know which way you're voting.

You don't know anything of the sort. And no matter how I vote, I always appreciate these men (troops) for what they have been asked to do.

Indazone
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM
I am amazed he's still alive.

ShoogarBear
07-23-2008, 06:54 PM

You've watched too many Stallone flicks.

The fact that he was able to think in that instant to use his gear to shield himself is amazing.

ShoogarBear
07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
He joins this guy in the Big Balls Club. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/nyregion/03life.html)

07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
He joins this guy in the Big Balls Club. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/nyregion/03life.html)

Agreed.

Those guys nads have their own ZIP code.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Man, if I lived in New York, I would want to meet that guy and shake his hand. Unbelievable courage! and for a stranger... I can honestly say I don't think I'd do it. As far as I'm concerned, these two men are bigger than life!

MaNuMaNiAc
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/nyregion/04life.html

Mr. Autrey said he had been offered cash, trips and scholarships for his two daughters, Syshe, 4, and Shuqui, 6, who watched as he dived to the trackbed.

By the end of the day, the president of the New York Film Academy, Jerry Sherlock, had personally handed him a $5,000 check

Awesome! I hope this dude ends up being a millionaire! God knows if anybody deserves it, this man is him.

porksword
07-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Wow, now thoses are some serious balls. There isn't water cold enough to cause shrinkage on those things.

God bless them both.

bus driver
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
"When I see it I'm constantly reminded how lucky I am," he said.

+1

E20
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
You've watched too many Stallone flicks.

The fact that he was able to think in that instant to use his gear to shield himself is amazing.

In all honesty that is the 1st thing I would think of throwing the grenade away given that I have a certain amount of time. 1st thing I thought of when I read that he had 7 seconds to react. I didn't need rambo to figure that out, in fact rambo has never done that he's usually running or dodging grenades.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
In all honesty that is the 1st thing I would think of throwing the grenade away given that I have a certain amount of time. 1st thing I thought of when I read that he had 7 seconds to react. I didn't need rambo to figure that out, in fact rambo has never done that he's usually running or dodging grenades.

This isn't about what you would think to do first! :lol Its whether you would be able to think at all, let alone be able to make a quick, intelligent decision as to what to do to save you and the people around you. The dude didn't know he had 7 seconds. Its not like the fucking grenade comes with a timer. For all he knew the grenade was about to explode any second. Most people would freeze in that situation. My guess is so would you.

E20
07-24-2008, 11:13 PM
This isn't about what you would think to do first! :lol Its whether you would be able to think at all, let alone be able to make a quick, intelligent decision as to what to do to save you and the people around you. The dude didn't know he had 7 seconds. Its not like the fucking grenade comes with a timer. For all he knew the grenade was about to explode any second. Most people would freeze in that situation. My guess is so would you.

Your probably right, but whatever happend -- the grenade went off too late, whether it was faulty or whoever threw it didn't know how long they had, but if I knew I had 7 seconds and there was a live grenade 10 feet away from me I would do that, but in reality you don't know how much time you have, I guess that's what I was trying to say. But usually I expect when somebody throws a grenade they are smart enough to calculate how long they should wait before they throw it so it explodes on contact or pretty damn close, whoever threw it did a bad a job.

ShoogarBear
07-24-2008, 11:17 PM
But usually I expect when somebody throws a grenade they are smart enough to calculate how long they should wait before they throw it so it explodes on contact or pretty damn close, whoever threw it did a bad a job.
Uh, no. A bad job is when it explodes in your hand.

Kermit
07-24-2008, 11:18 PM
should not fit in here...

http://www.force-atlantis.com/images/TITAN%20SINGLET%20SPANDEX.jpg

E20
07-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Uh, no. A bad job is when it explodes in your hand.
I'm assuming people who work with grenades generally know how to maximize their uses and know how long exactly you have before it explodes. You'd be an idiot or a novice if it exploded in your hand. The aim of the person who threw the grenade was to injure/kill as many people as possible. He fucked up and didn't do a very good job when his targets had 7 seconds to spare and no one got killed and all that happened was an injury, which is on it's way to being healed. Pretty bad job if you ask me on what his goals/intentions were. Heath Ledger FTW

ShoogarBear
07-24-2008, 11:23 PM
:lmao Just one question: have you ever thrown a live grenade?

E20
07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
:lmao Just one question: have you ever thrown a live grenade?

No. Don't know why it's funny. Don't they get training (military/mercenaries/terrorists/whoever uses grenades) on how to work grenades like an average time they have until it goes off with a std deviation? Not rocket science.............you wait until the right time to throw it.

E20
07-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Actually I can infer from the Jackie Chan movie Project A, which used a live marine force crew and actual seargents for the movie for authenticiy. the marine force that chan was a part of were getting training on how to use grenades and they were using duds at first and the captain said you have to wait like a certain amount of time after you pull the clip (forgot exactly) depending on how far you are throwing it to get the best result possible.

phyzik
07-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Your probably right, but whatever happend -- the grenade went off too late, whether it was faulty or whoever threw it didn't know how long they had, but if I knew I had 7 seconds and there was a live grenade 10 feet away from me I would do that, but in reality you don't know how much time you have, I guess that's what I was trying to say. But usually I expect when somebody throws a grenade they are smart enough to calculate how long they should wait before they throw it so it explodes on contact or pretty damn close, whoever threw it did a bad a job.

Ummm. did you read the story? It wasnt thrown. It was trip wired.

Any internet warrior can claim they would have done this or that. The fact is this guy did it. In your case of bravado, hindsite is 20/20. Are you next going to tell us if someone pulled a gun on you, you would know exactly what to do and take the guy down in a few seconds? Get over yourself and think of the reality of what goes on in these situations.

I know your not discrediting this guys bravery and Im not trying to discredit you either, but to think that you would have that type of courage and quick thinking in a situation like that (one Im willing to bet you have never been in) is crazy talk.

My brother is in Iraq and I constantly think to myself, if he got captured, I would find a way to Iraq and somehow save him with my one man army. Sure, I would try, but I know enough that I would probably get myself killed quite quickly in the process.

E20
07-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Ummm. did you read the story? It wasnt thrown. It was trip wired.

Any internet warrior can claim they would have done this or that. The fact is this guy did it. In your case of bravado, hindsite is 20/20. Are you next going to tell us if someone pulled a gun on you, you would know exactly what to do and take the guy down in a few seconds? Get over yourself and think of the reality of what goes on in these situations.

I know your not discrediting this guys bravery and Im not trying to discredit you either, but to think that you would have that type of courage and quick thinking in a situation like that (one Im willing to bet you have never been in) is crazy talk.
yes. if I am in a ghetto area I carry two wallets one decoy one real and i throw the fake wallet on the ground behind him or chuck it and then I karate chop his ass.........j/k i actually run. This is assuming they want to rob me. this is what my 7th grade teacher told me taht if you are every going to be assaulted for your wallet it's not worth it and you should just throw it in the opposite direction and wait for him to go get and then that is you run, i invented the decoy wallet part. also if you watched the reality series human weapon on history channel they tell you how to disarm a person with a gun i saw how to do it and it looked doable, but i would never do that.

What I'm saying about the grenade: If a grenade was thrown at me at suprise I wouldn't know what to do and would panic like mostly everybody else, but if I know that I have a certain amount of time before that shit goes off I react much better dependign on much time I have. I didn't know it was trip wired. I read the 1st two paragraphs and stopped.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Actually I can infer from the Jackie Chan movie Project A, which used a live marine force crew and actual seargents for the movie for authenticiy. the marine force that chan was a part of were getting training on how to use grenades and they were using duds at first and the captain said you have to wait like a certain amount of time after you pull the clip (forgot exactly) depending on how far you are throwing it to get the best result possible.

well, if you saw it in a Jackie Chan movie... :lol

seriously though, phyzik is right. It was tripped by him. No one threw it.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM
yes. if I am in a ghetto area I carry two wallets one decoy one real and i throw the fake wallet on the ground behind him or chuck it and then I karate chop his ass.........j/k i actually run.

Given that phyzik's scenario involved a gun, I'd say running isn't the most intelligent thing to do :lol

This is assuming they want to rob me. this is what my 7th grade teacher told me taht if you are every going to be assaulted for your wallet it's not worth it and you should just throw it in the opposite direction and wait for him to go get and then that is you run, i invented the decoy wallet.

I have a feeling that decoy wallet is going to get you shot someday. I've been mugged at knife point AND at gun point. Personally, I didn't exactly freeze, but I could tell you I was scared shitless. All I did both times, out of instinct really, was give them my wallet and hope they'd just take the money and leave. Fortunately, they did.

What I'm saying about the grenade: If a grenade was thrown at me at suprise I wouldn't know what to do and would panic like mostly everybody else, but if I know that I have a certain amount of time before that shit goes off I react much better dependign on much time I have. I didn't know it was trip wired. I read the 1st two paragraphs and stopped.

fair enough, but how are you supposed to know you have time? this isn't CoD 4 we're talking about.

E20
07-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Given that phyzik's scenario involved a gun, I'd say running isn't the most intelligent thing to do :lol

I have a feeling that decoy wallet is going to get you shot someday. I've been mugged at knife point AND at gun point. Personally, I didn't exactly freeze, but I could tell you I was scared shitless. All I did both times, out of instinct really, was give them my wallet and hope they'd just take the money and leave. Fortunately, they did.

fair enough, but how are you supposed to know you have time? this isn't CoD 4 we're talking about.

I agree with everything you said. The last part I agree to, but I orginally stated that if I had 7 seconds and there was a grenade next to me this is what I would have done, so it was a hypothetical situation to begin with and witha controlled grenade.

I've never been robbed at gun point before and hopefully I never will, the only advice I have ever gotten is to just hand them my stuff. So I've never had to resort to my set of fake wallets.

phyzik
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I got robbed at knife point once when I had a broken leg. I was stupid enough to give a guy a ride while it was raining. He made me go to the ATM and withdraw money then took off on foot. Big mistake for him. I ran his ass over and called the cops. I was charged with assault with a deadly weapon but it was dismissed after the jurry found out why I did it. Yay for me!

The guy survived, he just smashed into my hood and windshield pretty bad.

note to self: no more free rides.

the fact was, I was scared shitless while he had that knife on me, it wasnt until after he got out of the car that I decided to do something. In hindsight, it was pretty stupid, I could have killed someone over $80 which was all I had in my account. I got it back, btw.

AlamoSpursFan
07-25-2008, 04:32 AM
My brother is in Iraq and I constantly think to myself, if he got captured, I would find a way to Iraq and somehow save him with my one man army.

Iron Eagle forum.

:lol

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Iron Eagle forum.

:lol

LMAO I wonder if Chappy Sinclair would help phyzik?