PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign Anthony Tolliver

SlovenianGuy
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they signed forward Anthony Tolliver. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

The 6-8, 240-pound Tolliver played on the Spurs summer league teams in Las Vegas and at the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City. He averaged 12.3 points and 5.0 rebounds in 23.0 minutes while shooting .571 (12-21) from the field and .615 (8-13) from beyond the arc in three games in Las Vegas. At the Rocky Mountain Revue Tolliver appeared in all four games, averaging 11.5 points and 3.5 rebounds in 26.5 minutes while knocking down 53.3 percent (8-15) of his shots form beyond the arc.

Last season Tolliver played for the Iowa Energy in the NBA Development League. He appeared in 25 games averaging, 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 27.4 minutes per game while shooting .509 (112-220) from the field. Prior to joining the Energy Tolliver was in training camp with Cleveland Cavaliers and appeared in three games before being waived.

Tolliver spent four seasons at Creighton University where he averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in 124 career games. As a senior, he averaged 13.4 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.7 blocks in 33 games and was named first-team All-MVC after being the league’s only player to rank in the top 10 in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots per game. Tolliver was also named a Senior CLASS Award All-American and a Second-team CoSIDA Academic All-American.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_tolliver_080723.html

Mister Sinister
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Nifty.

ducks
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I wonder how much is guaranteed

¿Question?
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they signed forward Anthony Tolliver. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

The 6-8, 240-pound Tolliver played on the Spurs summer league teams in Las Vegas and at the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City. He averaged 12.3 points and 5.0 rebounds in 23.0 minutes while shooting .571 (12-21) from the field and .615 (8-13) from beyond the arc in three games in Las Vegas. At the Rocky Mountain Revue Tolliver appeared in all four games, averaging 11.5 points and 3.5 rebounds in 26.5 minutes while knocking down 53.3 percent (8-15) of his shots form beyond the arc.

Last season Tolliver played for the Iowa Energy in the NBA Development League. He appeared in 25 games averaging, 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 27.4 minutes per game while shooting .509 (112-220) from the field. Prior to joining the Energy Tolliver was in training camp with Cleveland Cavaliers and appeared in three games before being waived.

Tolliver spent four seasons at Creighton University where he averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in 124 career games. As a senior, he averaged 13.4 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.7 blocks in 33 games and was named first-team All-MVC after being the league’s only player to rank in the top 10 in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots per game. Tolliver was also named a Senior CLASS Award All-American and a Second-team CoSIDA Academic All-American.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_tolliver_080723.html

¿Buy or Sell this move by the Spurs? ¿And how do you see this guy fitting into the rotation?

VaSpursFan
i knew this guy would get signed. if all kapono can do is shoot and he has a deal, why not tolliver. they guy has a necessary skill, and if he develops properly, i can see him being a david west like power forward. i think he'll be successful in the spurs system as long as he continues to work hard.

ducks
now ludden find out

djohn14
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
i knew this guy would get signed. if all kapono can do is shoot and he has a deal, why not tolliver. they guy has a necessary skill, and if he develops properly, i can see him being a david west like power forward. i think he'll be successful in the spurs system.

David West...you sure got high hopes. I love the signing though.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I doubt it's guaranteed. He'll still have to work for his spot in training camp.

On another note, we should probably start a Matt Bonner watch.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I wonder if they gave him a full guarantee.

Good signing; he's a good guy.

ducks
07-23-2008, 02:49 PM
I wonder if finley is next..............

Brutalis
07-23-2008, 02:50 PM
This is a good signing and I am glad we went ahead and got it done. I wonder what Mahinmi is feeling though.

Inside-out threat is possible now with Duncan placed at center and Tolliver at the PF spot. If he can continue to knock down shots he will draw out his defender in the paint and leave it wide open for Duncan. However TD could draw a double from a wing or SF, it will be nasty because the kick-out will always be there if it happens.

AT I deem him. AT he shall be. Please keep your shot buddy we need it.

Brutalis
07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
But also, he might just be sent to DLeague if he gets on Pops shit list.

texbound
07-23-2008, 02:54 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking, but who would take Bonner and the 2 yrs left on his contract? New Jersey? I know they're interested in cutting salary before 2010, but aren't they at the team player limit?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 02:55 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking, but who would take Bonner and the 2 yrs left on his contract? New Jersey? I know they're interested in cutting salary before 2010, but aren't they at the team player limit?

Yes they are. If the Spurs are really shopping Bonner, I think we can all mark the Nets off the list.

VaSpursFan
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM

david west worked hard at his game. if tolliver does the same, i can see him being a poor man's david west. crash the board, hit the j, pump fake drive to the basket or pull up for the mid range. when your j is money like his, the game gets easier. i know when i first saw him play, i wanted the spurs to sign him because he already has a solid stroke. now, if he uses that bulk to bang and board, he's exactly what we need at the 4 spot when we go small or when playing with timmy.

mexicanjunior
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
I liked what I saw of him during the Summer League games. I think he will be able to fill some of the Horry role in being able to expand the floor. Too bad for Bonner though, I guess Pop has given him his last chance...

djohn14
07-23-2008, 02:58 PM
He sure can shoot....but doest this in any way hurt James Gist?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 02:58 PM

I doubt it. If it does, then fuck you Mr. Tolliver.

Tully365
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Is Gist next? I hope so.

Tolliver showed up at summer league and earned this-- good for him.

VaSpursFan
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM

gist and hill will also be signed. hairston is the odd man out along with bonner apparently.

nil.ball
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Brent Barry replacement? Cool

Mr.Bottomtooth
gist and hill will also be signed. hairston is the odd man out along with bonner apparently.

:tu
It's starting to look more and more like that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
He's a power forward. Failure is this post that I'm quoting.

Brutalis
07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

No.

Gist will probably be on our bench beside Bonner and Vaughn, or playing D-League next season.

K-State Spur
07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
i can see him being a david west like power forward.

based on what? a lot of people forget that West was NCAA Player of the Year. despite his early struggles, it's not like success was unknown to him.

tolliver's ceiling is probably closer to a better version of bonner.

tav1
07-23-2008, 03:03 PM
I agree that Bonner might be on the move. What does this mean for Gist? I still think he makes the squad, but the Spurs might let things play out between him and Hairston through training camp.

Do you think this is right:

Parker/Vaughn/Hill
Mason/Ginobli/Fin
Bowen/Udoka/Gist or Hairston
Duncan/Mahinmi/Tolliver/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto

Bonner looks like the odd duck to me.

I don't think the Spurs signed Tolliver for the Toros. I think they want to use him to space the floor around Duncan. Tolliver is a one-dimesional player with a limited ceiling. If he can hit the three consistently, Pop will play him now.

Brutalis
07-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Problem is Bonner is not going to get us much of anything. If we do deal him, it'll be for cash considerations and a crappy 2nd rounder at best to a team that is under the cap. For a team over the cap, we'll have to match salary and as our roster stands we don't need to be trading for another equally crappy player. I imagine Pop will try to deal him for what I first mentioned though. We always do a good job dumping salary.

urunobili
07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
damn Gist hasn't had his contract signed yet? :depressed

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 03:05 PM
damn Gist hasn't had his yet? :depressed

They're taking their time with the draft picks. They had to sign Tolliver quickly since he was probably already getting offers from the D-League and Europe.

Brutalis
I agree that Bonner might be on the move. What does this mean for Gist? I still think he makes the squad, but the Spurs might let things play out between him and Hairston through training camp.

Do you think this is right:

Parker/Vaughn/Hill
Mason/Ginobli/Fin
Bowen/Udoka/Gist or Hairston
Duncan/Mahinmi/Tolliver/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto

Bonner looks like the odd duck to me.

I don't think the Spurs signed Tolliver for the Toros. I think they want to use him to space the floor around Duncan. Tolliver is a one-dimesional player with a limited ceiling. If he can hit the three consistently, Pop will play him now.

As I said the day we acquired Hairston, he will not be making our roster. Forget him. He is D-League at best. Gist will be a Spur or owning fellers in D-League and none the less.

Tully365
I think Tolliver replaces Bonner as a PF shooter, which hopefully still leaves Gist to be the high energy SF... Which leaves Hairston with the chance to be the star of the Toros if he doesn't split for Europe.

Brutalis
07-23-2008, 03:06 PM
They're taking their time with the draft picks. They had to sign Tolliver quickly since he was probably already getting offers from the D-League and Europe.

Exactly. SA obviously saw the risk against signing him, and went ahead and got it done. And for good reason too.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Brent Barry replacement? CoolThat's Mason, but I know you don't really know anything.

Apparently we now have three guys who might replace Horry.

VaSpursFan
07-23-2008, 03:11 PM

i think he could have gotten an offer from another NBA team too. if you can shoot, you will find a job in the league...see jason kapono.

ceperez
07-23-2008, 03:11 PM

Agree. Of course, a draft pick can also at anytime choose to play in Europe. Just ask Danny Ferry.

Spurs apparently like signing players who are drastically improving their game. Roger Mason once has absolutely no offense and was a pure defensive player. Tolliver was an undersized center. Now he's a long range shooting PF. Also the guy has slimmed down drastically since college.

I do hope Gist gets signed though. He's got a lot of talent and his signing will plug a hole in our defense.

Hairston... well as I've been saying all along... can't see where he fits.

Bruno
07-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I think that a significant part of his contract is guaranteed. If you were Tolliver, would you sign a contract in July if it wasn't with some guaranteed money ?

Spurs ready to invest some money on Tolliver could mean that they have fully given up on Bonner and/or have a trade with Bonner on the table.

I. Hustle

James Gist is not capable of getting hurt

ChumpDumper
They're taking their time with the draft picks. They had to sign Tolliver quickly since he was probably already getting offers from the D-League and Europe.Europe probably, but I'm sure the Energy would have retained his D-League rights.

DPG21920
I think Tolliver replaces Bonner as a PF shooter, which hopefully still leaves Gist to be the high energy SF... Which leaves Hairston with the chance to be the star of the Toros if he doesn't split for Europe.

What can he do that Bonner can not? Unless it is a move that will allow us to dump Bonner's contract and pick up Tolliver who can do at least the same thing for cheaper, then I do not understand it.

remingtonbo2001
07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I doubt we trade Bonner, unless Tolliver really comes along.

This is Bonner's year to shine. If he doesn't then I see him being shipped out next year when he is in the final year of his contract.

cheguevara
they just signed him so he can carry James Gist's bags

Mr.Bottomtooth
James Gist is not capable of getting hurt

:lol

Brutalis
07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
C- Thomas, Oberto, Mahinmi
PF- Duncan, Tolliver, Bonner
SF- Bowen, Udoka, Gist
SG- Mason, Ginobili, Finley
PG- Parker, Hill, Vaughn

There's 15 and the limit as well. Bonner will be traded IMHO, and Finley likely resigned. Gist likely signed as well and Hill is sort of obvious to me.

mrspurs
07-23-2008, 03:15 PM

nah he is right....ive been watching him play and that was the first person that i compared him too........high hopes maybe, same style of play(with a tune up) the same...imo... question is how many minutes can he get?

dbestpro
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Unless injuries occur, Tolliver never plays a regular season game. He will be in camp and will eventually get cut. If not in the beginning then midseason when it is time to bring in another vet. In the mean time it will be NBDL if anything.

thispego
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
usually a picture of the acquired player would have been posted by now. slackers.

cheguevara
07-23-2008, 03:17 PM
usually a picture of the acquired player would have been posted by now. slackers.

http://www.abcmedianet.com/showcontent/sports/commentators/i/tolbert.jpg

ChumpDumper
07-23-2008, 03:18 PM
What can he do that Bonner can not? Unless it is a move that will allow us to dump Bonner's contract and pick up Tolliver who can do at least the same thing for cheaper, then I do not understand it.Well, we don't know if either guy can play consistently as a Spur, so why not keep both for awhile until that can be determined for one or both of them?

VaSpursFan
07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I doubt we trade Bonner, unless Tolliver really comes along.

This is Bonner's year to shine. If he doesn't then I see him being shipped out next year when he is in the final year of his contract.

bonner is done. from what i've seen of tolliver in the summer league games, he is a much more proficient shooter than bonner. he really worked at his j and it's a thing of beauty. he has really nice form. i think the Pop has lost faith in him like Rasho.

remingtonbo2001
07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, we don't know if either guy can play consistently as a Spur, so why not keep both for awhile until that can be determined for one or both of them?

+1

If Bonner was on the SL roster, he'd be averaging 20/8. Easily.

I think many posters have become bored with Bonner. No suprise.

Spurs Brazil
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/07/jeff_mcdonald_a_12.html

Jeff McDonald: Another day, another signing
The Spurs' roster is filling out fast and furious now, although Wednesday's news wasn't nearly as earth-shaking as Tuesday's.

A day after the Spurs re-signed Kurt Thomas, the Spurs have announced the signing of Anthony Tolliver, a 6-foot-8 forward who spent almost all of last season in the NBA's Developmental League. Tolliver played on the Spurs' summer league team in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City earlier this month, and apparently impressed team brass enough to earn a contract.

Terms of the deal were not released, but it is assumed Tolliver's deal is non-guaranteed.

Tolliver, 23, averaged 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 25 games with the D-League's Iowa Energy last season. He began the year in training camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and appeared in three NBA games before being waived.

Meanwhile, the contract numbers have come out on Thomas, who re-upped with the Spurs on Tuesday. According to a league source, Thomas' deal calls for him to be paid $8 million over the next two years. He will earn $4.2 million next season, and $3.8 million in 2009-10.

ceperez
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM

Hmmm... doesn't mention that they guy played a lot of pick and roll basketball in Germany. Maybe that's why the Spurs like him.

VaSpursFan
07-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Unless injuries occur, Tolliver never plays a regular season game. He will be in camp and will eventually get cut. If not in the beginning then midseason when it is time to bring in another vet. In the mean time it will be NBDL if anything.

huh? you think they signed him to cut him in camp:downspin::downspin::downspin:

DPG21920
Well, we don't know if either guy can play consistently as a Spur, so why not keep both for awhile until that can be determined for one or both of them?

That is what I meant. People were saying trade Bonner now and I do not think that would be wise unless the Spurs really thought he could do what Bonner could (or better) right now.

ChumpDumper
So it's pretty much a training camp invitation. Good to know he took the offer.

remingtonbo2001
07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
What's with all the Bonner hate.

At this point, Bonner > Ian.

Granted, the season hasn't even started.

SenorSpur
07-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Woo hoo!

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Only time will tell what the F.O. is thinking on this one.

dbestpro
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
huh? you think they signed him to cut him in camp:downspin::downspin::downspin:

Do you remember Anthony Lever-Pedroza? Signed before camp. Cut in camp 2007.

In fact we signed Kris Lang, Keith Langford, Anthony Lever-Pedroza and Darius Washington prior to last year's camp.

Let me see where are these guys now? hmmmmm.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Only time will tell what the F.O. is thinking on this one.What's to think about?

Only part of the minimum contract, if anything, is guaranteed. The Spurs are just making sure he shows up to camp. His performance will largely make their decision for them.

VaSpursFan
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM

In fact we signed Kris Lang, Keith Langford, Anthony Lever-Pedroza and Darius Washington prior to last year's camp.

valid point...if you would have said devin green or jameel watkins, i would agree with you. tolliver, i'm thinking he makes the squad. but hey, i could be wrong.

timvp
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
This is really interesting. I can't remember a time when the Spurs signed a player so quickly after summer league. I'm assuming there was another team interested and the Spurs had to move fast before they lost Tolliver. If no one else was interested, they would have waited a couple months before giving him the standard training camp invite. For that reason, I'm guessing some (or maybe all) of the contract is guaranteed.

Tolliver is a smart kid and he tries hard. I'm not convinced about the rest of his game on the basketball court. The most glaring aspect I'm concerned about is his three-point shooting. He was on fire during summer league and when everyone else was bricking, Tolliver was the one who kept hitting threes repeatedly. But outside of this summer league, I see no evidence of him being a good three-point shooter. In his senior year of college, he shot 21% on three. Last year in the D-League, he shot only 50 threes (hitting 18 of his threes). You take away his three-point shooting and Tolliver isn't anywhere close to an NBA player. Hopefully he's a legit three-point shooter ... but it's rare to suddenly become a shooter overnight.

Assuming his three-point shooting isn't a fluke and he can shoot 38-40% consistently against NBA players, the rest of his game might fit what the Spurs are looking for in a big. He runs the court hard. He plays smart offensively in terms of making the right pass and setting good picks. Defense he's never going to be great because he's undersized but he's a scrapper who will take charges, commit a couple hard fouls and dive on the ground. He's not too fast or athletic but he runs up and down the court hard and is pretty intense.

Last year in training camp and preseason he was with the Cavs and I just happened to watch every Cavs preseason game because I was interested in a few of the other players they had trying to make the team. He beat out a lot of borderline NBA players until he was the very last cut. I didn't think he was NBA caliber ... but then again, he wasn't a three-point shooter last year. I don't think he even attempted one three-pointer during all of preseason. Add in a three-point shot to his already decent game and suddenly he has a legit shot of making the league.

If the Spurs gave Tolliver a largely guaranteed contract, it'd make sense to try to move Bonner ASAP. Tolliver and Bonner are very comparable players. Both need the three-point shot to survive in the NBA. Both hustle to compensate for being undersized. Bonner has to be considered the better shooter, however Tolliver has a better basketball IQ ... which is a pretty damn important aspect when it comes to surviving in Pop's system.

Overall I think the Tolliver signing is a positive. As long as the Spurs follow this up by also signing Gist, I'm fine with giving Tolliver a shot. If the Spurs chose Tolliver over Gist, I wouldn't like this move.

T Park
07-23-2008, 03:33 PM
tolliver's ceiling is probably closer to a better version of bonner.

Sounds ok.

SenorSpur
07-23-2008, 03:34 PM
This is really interesting. I can't remember a time when the Spurs signed a player so quickly after summer league. I'm assuming there was another team interested and the Spurs had to move fast before they lost Tolliver. If no one else was interested, they would have waited a couple months before giving him the standard training camp invite. For that reason, I'm guessing some (or maybe all) of the contract is guaranteed.

Tolliver is a smart kid and he tries hard. I'm not convinced about the rest of his game on the basketball court. The most glaring aspect I'm concerned about is his three-point shooting. He was on fire during summer league and when everyone else was bricking, Tolliver was the one who kept hitting threes repeatedly. But outside of this summer league, I see no evidence of him being a good three-point shooter. In his senior year of college, he shot 21% on three. Last year in the D-League, he shot only 50 threes (hitting 18 of his threes). You take away his three-point shooting and Tolliver isn't anywhere close to an NBA player. Hopefully he's a legit three-point shooter ... but it's rare to suddenly become a shooter overnight.

So should we consider his SL shooting spree just that....a shooting spree or an aberration?

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 03:34 PM
What's to think about?

Only part of the minimum contract, if anything, is guaranteed. The Spurs are just making sure he shows up to camp. His performance will largely make their decision for them.

Damn it, we are talking about the same thing, that is what I meant. It is just a training camp invite essentially. People keep saying trade Bonner, but that is not what this signing is for (yet, unless he shows something they really like that they could feel comfortable letting Bonner walk). When I say lets wait to see what the F.O. is thinking about, I mean that do they want Tolliver as more depth to add or to possibly move Bonner. It could very well mean they just want him for the Toros.

xtremesteven33
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Black Bonner > White Bonner

Bruno
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Tolliver played in Germany last year and shot 32/85 from Euro 3 point line.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks. That's what I was looking for and didn't know where to look.

urunobili
If the Spurs chose Tolliver over Gist, I wouldn't like this move.
Despite i called this signing and posters like Bottomtooth, ducks and Brutalis laughed at me... i am guessing the Spurs didn't sign Gist to a contract yet because no one can take him away from them... Tolliver... they had to make a move before someone else takes him away... sign of a bye bye Bonner approaching fast.... he'll be salary dump fodder soon... :wakeup

angelbelow
bring gist!

lotr1trekkie
Good move. Tolliver must have been drawing a lot of interest for us to jump on him so quickly. What are the signing rules for second round draft picks? Tolliver and Gist could provide a Mr. Outside/Mr. Inside tandem to replace Horry who could do both which is why he will be missed. If we add Gist to Mason, Hill and Tolliver we will be younger and more athletic BUT will we be better than last year's team? I don't think so--yet.

VaSpursFan
So should we consider his SL shooting spree just that....a shooting spree or an aberration?

his mechanics are great. his 3 point shooting may cool off but if he takes 2 steps in and can hit the 17 to 20 footer with consistency, he is still valuable. as long as he can keep the d honest with his jumper, be it a 2 or 3 point shot, it's good for us because team's can't pack the paint on timmy.

Solid D
07-23-2008, 03:44 PM
This is really interesting. I can't remember a time when the Spurs signed a player so quickly after summer league.

As I recall, the Spurs signed Predator and Buckets fairly quickly.

ceperez
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Last year in training camp and preseason he was with the Cavs and I just happened to watch every Cavs preseason game because I was interested in a few of the other players they had trying to make the team. He beat out a lot of borderline NBA players until he was the very last cut. I didn't think he was NBA caliber ... but then again, he wasn't a three-point shooter last year. I don't think he even attempted one three-pointer during all of preseason. Add in a three-point shot to his already decent game and suddenly he has a legit shot of making the league.

This guy is very intriguing. He has no real history of being a 3 point shooter. Check his college state, he barely took the 3 and if he did rarely connected. He's listed every in college and elsewhere as playing the center position.

If he was the last player cut by the Cavs and he wasn't a 3 point shooter, what in Sam's name was he good at? Is he a good center a 6'8"??!

He apparently is one of those rare guys who can re-invent their game entirely. To sum it up, he's a center in a small forward's body that recently discovered that he can shoot with uncanning accuracy. Note: He just doesn't only hit the 3 like Bowen, his free throw percentage are up there too!

EJK5032
07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
this is a great signing, and I'm sure somebody else would have taken him if we didn't. Tolliver has the most polished game of all the front court prospects right now. Not only does he make 3s, but he makes the corner 3, which is huge in the Spurs offense, as well as the midrange baseline shot......and he can score on the block. Tolliver instantly becomes the 2nd best low post scorer on the roster.

ceperez
07-23-2008, 03:52 PM

(Germany-1.Bundesliga): 20 games: 14.3ppg, 7.3rpg, 1.1apg, 1.2bpg, 2FGP: 54.0%, 3PT: 37.7%, FT: 64.7%

Man, that's a pathetic FT percentage!

Definitely a Spur.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Oddly enough, there's a Youtube video consisting entirely of Tolliver highlights.

at7XYmU15iY

Don't know if it's been posted.

timvp
07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Terms of the deal were not released, but it is assumed Tolliver's deal is non-guaranteed.There's just no way this deal isn't at least partially guaranteed. No one signs a non-guaranteed contract this early in summer ... especially coming off of a good summer league showing. Someone had to be showing interest to get the Spurs to move quickly. At the very least, I'd guess that $150-200K of the contract is guaranteed. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if the whole first year is guaranteed.

If he was the last player cut by the Cavs and he wasn't a 3 point shooter, what in Sam's name was he good at? Is he a good center a 6'8"??!Hustle plays. Running hard up and down the court. Being in the right place defensively.

Tully365
Tolliver definitely used the Summer leagues to his advantage. Here are his Vegas stats:

12.3 ppg, 5 rpg. But more importantly, his shooting percentages: 61.5% 3PT, 83.3% FT, 57.1% FG.

And at the RMR: 11.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 53.3% 3PT, 88.7% FT, 51.7% FG.

I agree with timvp that Tolliver's sudden emergence as a shooter is a little strange. He rarely shot threes in college, though he was a center at Creighton. Part of it might be the time he spent in Germany last year. He talks about focusing on shooting in this article: www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10337737

In 25 games with the Iowa Energy of the D league, he shot 36% from the three point line & 51% from the field. So it seems like his evolution into a shooter has been at least somewhat steady in the last year or so. It'll be ironic if he works out for the Spurs-- he was cut by the Cavs last year, and now it looks like he's exactly the kind of inexpensive role player they could use, especially considering how cap-challenged they are.

remingtonbo2001
Bonner isn't going anywhere until the trading deadline, at the earliest.

I honestly don't see the Spurs giving up on Bonner. I think he'll have an opportunity to contribute early on this year.

However, that doesn't mean Tolliver will be cut. If he can show the ability to defend and continues to hit his shot with accuracy, then there isn't a reason why he shouldn't make the squad.

Buddy Holly
It's Jeff McDonald, the only one assuming is him.

timvp
07-23-2008, 03:57 PM
As I recall, the Spurs signed Predator and Buckets fairly quickly.That's what I thought but the Spurs signed Predator, Buckets, Spider and Cherokee on the same day sometime in August. Signing someone the day after summer league is something I can't remember the Spurs have done . . .

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 03:57 PM
You'd have to suspect this guy has tremendous work ethic and knew he couldn't make an NBA team if he didn't improve his shot.

Those are the type of players you want. The ones who improve.

manufor3
07-23-2008, 03:58 PM
i knew this guy would get signed. if all kapono can do is shoot and he has a deal, why not tolliver. they guy has a necessary skill, and if he develops properly, i can see him being a david west like power forward. i think he'll be successful in the spurs system as long as he continues to work hard.

you could name worse examples than kapono. west is aiming pretty high. maybe a poor man's okur.

ceperez
From EuroBasketBall

Solid all around and versatile power forward who can post up and create in the paint or step out and hit the 18 footer consistently. Solid rebounder and shot blocker. Quintessential team player who understands the game and does a lot of the winning things that do not show up in boxscores: diving for loose balls, strong defense, solid screens and dirty work while consistently putting up solid scoring and rebounding numbers and strong field goal percentage. Great basketball IQ and hard worker. Type of player coaches love. Clean cut, no nonsense, mature person both on and off the court. NBA level forward who could also be a star on a high level European team.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Career:
Springfield, Mo. (Kickapoo)
2004-2005: Creighton (NCAA): 34 games: 4.2ppg, 4.4rpg, 20ast
2005-2006: Creighton (NCAA): 28 games: 13.2ppg, 6.6rpg, 1.5apg, 1.0spg, 1.6bpg, FG: 51.6%, 3PT: 42.9%, FT: 73.7%
2006, summer: Athletes in Action (touring team) France Tour
2006-2007: Creighton (NCAA): 33 games: 13.4ppg, 6.7rpg, 1.9apg, 1.7bpg, FGP: 50.6%, 3Pts: 21.1%, FT: 65.8%
2007 April: Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (Holiday Inn - Portsmouth team)
2007 July: Pepsi Pro Summer League in Orlando (Miami Heat)
2007: Drafted by Butte Daredevils (CBA,2rd(16))
2007: Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) - Made opening day roster but was released in first week by Cavaliers to make room for Sasha Pavlovic and Anderson Varejao
2007-2008: Iowa Energy (D-League), in Feb.'08 moved to Eisbaeren Bremerhaven (Germany-1.Bundesliga): 20 games: 14.3ppg, 7.3rpg, 1.1apg, 1.2bpg, 2FGP: 54.0%, 3PT: 37.7%, FT: 64.7%

Spurs Brazil
As I recall, the Spurs signed Predator and Buckets fairly quickly.

When we signed McCaskill I tought he was a poor man M.Rose.

Now we get the poor man M.Bonner

remingtonbo2001
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
you could name worse examples than kapono. west is aiming pretty high. maybe a poor man's okur.

homer
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM

:tu

ceperez
07-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Our youthful potential:

George Hill = Gilbert Arenas
Anthony Tolliver = David West
James Gist = Dennis Rodman
and
Ian Mahinmi = Francisco Elson

Extremely promising!!

pad300
07-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Our youthful potential:

George Hill = Gilbert Arenas
Anthony Tolliver = David West
James Gist = Dennis Rodman
and
Ian Mahinmi = Francisco Elson

Extremely promising!!

If you think Hill can potentially become Arenas, Tolliver can become David West, and Gist can become Rodman, aren't you undershooting things a little with Mahinmi becoming Elson...

ChumpDumper
07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah, why not hit the pipe a fourth time?

ceperez
07-23-2008, 04:16 PM
If you think Hill can potentially become Arenas, Tolliver can become David West, and Gist can become Rodman, aren't you undershooting things a little with Mahinmi becoming Elson...

I'm a realist.

Okay, if you want to stetch the analogy a bit, how about:

Mahinmi = David Robinson

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Despite i called this signing and posters like Bottomtooth, ducks and Brutalis laughed at me...
:lol Link to where I said the Spurs would never sign Tolliver?

mrspurs
07-23-2008, 04:18 PM
heres a catch.....tolliver is like signing a small forward, and power forward (with range) in one shot....someone said he wasnt fast and athletic, and that may be true, but from what ive seen in 5 or more games is, he uses his quickness, and his size to overshadow his faults....and he does it well enough to get someones attention...practice just got better...i woulda taken tolliver over hill from what ive seen so far....ian im still waiting on...

remingtonbo2001
07-23-2008, 04:20 PM

http://www.mrbottomtoothwaswrong.com

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.mrbottomtoothwaswrong.com

pad300
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm a realist.

Okay, if you want to stetch the analogy a bit, how about:

Mahinmi = David Robinson

Arenas, West and Rodman was being realist!?! :drunk

ceperez
07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
heres a catch.....tolliver is like signing a small forward, and power forward (with range) in one shot....someone said he wasnt fast and athletic, and that may be true, but from what ive seen in 5 or more games is, he uses his quickness, and his size to overshadow his faults....and he does it well enough to get someones attention...practice just got better...i woulda taken tolliver over hill from what ive seen so far....ian im still waiting on...

Refer to an older post of mine: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2674065&postcount=39

Anthony Tolliver 6' 7"
6' 8.5" - with shoes
242 lbs - weight
7' 2.5" - wingspan
8' 11.5" - standing reach
5.7 - body fat
28.5 - no step vertical jump
30.0 - max vertical jump
21 - reps bench press
11.49 - lane agility
3.29 - 3/4 court sprint

Pretty decent athletically.

ceperez
07-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Arenas, West and Rodman was being realist!?! :drunk

Gist isn't going to be the next Dennis Rodman?! Now I'm dissapointed :-(

Obstructed_View
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Dude shoots ~57 percent from three point range, and people ask if it's a fluke?

ceperez
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Refer to an older post of mine: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2674065&postcount=39

Anthony Tolliver 6' 7"
6' 8.5" - with shoes
242 lbs - weight
7' 2.5" - wingspan
8' 11.5" - standing reach
5.7 - body fat
30.0 - max vertical jump
21 - reps bench press
11.49 - lane agility
3.29 - 3/4 court sprint

Pretty decent athletically.

For comparison with David West:

6' 8.25"
6' 9.25"
7' 4.25" - wingspan
9' 0.5"
31.5 - max vertical jump
12.18 - lane agility
3.43 - 3/4 court sprint

Standing reach difference is an inch in favor of West. Otherwise, practically identical.

I. Hustle
07-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I. Hustle 5' 10"
5' 10.5" - with shoes
250 lbs - weight
6' 0" - wingspan
5' 11.5" - standing reach
50.7 - body fat
2.5 - no step vertical jump
3.0 - max vertical jump
2.1 - reps bench press
300.29 - 3/4 court sprint

In comparison I don’t think I would make the team :fro

wildbill2u
07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Let's hope he's still improving his game, including the outside shot, since he knows he can't play center anymore.

He looks much thinner in one of his recent pics from the RMR than he did in that video, but there again, he'd probably have bulked up to play center in college.

He has a great attitude around the rim, thinks the ball is his. Love to see him and Gist paired with Tim at center.

benefactor
07-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Well...I've been right there with SenorSpur the whole time saying we should give him a shot. I have been impressed with him since watching the first 3 summer league games. If he keeps shooting well and continues to hustle like he has shown he can we will have acquired 2 young, hustling, dirty work forwards. We may yet have a ring or two left before the era of our stars ends.

ducks
07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
link to where I said spurs were not signing him

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Oddly enough, there's a Youtube video consisting entirely of Tolliver highlights.

at7XYmU15iY

Don't know if it's been posted.

Spurs are building a team that can dunk, that's for sure.

07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Gist isn't going to be the next Dennis Rodman?! Now I'm dissapointed :-(

james gist is not the next dennis rodman. dennis rodman is the next james gist.

tolliver's signing is good but i don't know how he will fit the team. if the spurs sign both tolliver and gist, then they will have two undersized power forwards. unless you count mahinmi's 10 minutes of playing time last year, the spurs will have three incoming rookie power forwards. then add bonner and duncan and the spurs will have a ridiculous amount of power forwards. either they force tolliver/gist to play some SF, or someone's got to go.

bigdog
07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
eh, I like the signing, but that kinda clutters the frontcourt, especially if they decide to sign Gist, and I sure as hell hope they do.

My guess is that Bonner is on his way out.

rj215
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM
eh, I like the signing, but that kinda clutters the frontcourt, especially if they decide to sign Gist, and I sure as hell hope they do.

My guess is that Bonner is on his way out.

From your keyboard to Pops ears...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Did you not understand when a couple of us told you he was a PF yesterday?

SenorSpur
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Well...I've been right there with SenorSpur the whole time saying we should give him a shot. I have been impressed with him since watching the first 3 summer league games. If he keeps shooting well and continues to hustle like he has shown he can we will have acquired 2 young, hustling, dirty work forwards. We may yet have a ring or two left before the era of our stars ends.

:toast to the Benefactor. I feel ya.

Signing Tolliver is a low risk move. Clearly he has some upside and is a good shooter - at least for now. There's still time to develop his defense and other areas of his game. The fact that he played down low in college is yet another plus. This guy has potential written all over him. If he does develop into a productive rotation player and ultimately moves ahead of Bonner - even better. All of a sudden the Spurs will have a tradeable asset in Bonner.

All of a sudden, a reserve unit of Hill, Tolliver, Mahinmi and Gist (assuming he's earned a roster spot) has the makings of a very productive, and stout bench. That gives the Spurs a good mixture of offense, defense, youth, athleticism, and on-the-ball pressure. I absolutely love the prospects and the matchup possibilities!

:flag:

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2008, 06:10 PM
I think he turns into Oberto with a vertical and a three point shot.

A heady, scrappy, big man who loves to play physical, take charges, block shots, etc.

Some folks thought I was crazy when I said we'd sign him, look who's laughing now.

By the way, like Chump I suspect that training camp and preseason will be a battle for the shooting PF spot.

Like I said last night, they will let Tolliver and Bonner battle it out. Tolliver wins, Bonner gets traded. Bonner wins, Tolliver gets waived or more than likely dropped down to the Toros.

SenorSpur
07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I think he turns into Oberto with a vertical and a three point shot.

A heady, scrappy, big man who loves to play physical, take charges, block shots, etc.

Some folks thought I was crazy when I said we'd sign him, look who's laughing now.

:toast to you too, AHF!

I really, really like this move! I don't think it can be under emphasized.

ceperez
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Tolliver in action:

Defending the paint:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d9/fullj.449fcf4695a58e0c9155b046f1a76b76/449fcf4695a58e0c9155b046f1a76b76-getty-81648347_mm000_spurs_jazz.jpg

Nailing the jump shot:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/5a/fullj.e79053ee20aaae29d8b5152744af709b/e79053ee20aaae29d8b5152744af709b-getty-81648347_mm027_d-leag_spurs.jpg

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 06:18 PM
He looks so damn lean compared to what he used to be. That is crazy.

Solid D
07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Two signings in 24 hours? My head is starting to spin! :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

ceperez
07-23-2008, 06:23 PM
He looks so damn lean compared to what he used to be. That is crazy.

Are we sure that he didn't have a fat twin at Creighton?!

Hope the Spurs gave him a drug test, the guy must be on something to make such a drastic change!

kobyz
07-23-2008, 06:29 PM
the nba comparison for Anthony Tolliver - Eduardo Nájera

loveforthegame
07-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I like the signing. I hope it's a sign that Bonner is on the move soon.

Gist signed next would really make me happy.

SKINNYPIMP210
07-23-2008, 06:40 PM
I. Hustle 5' 10"
5' 10.5" - with shoes
250 lbs - weight
6' 0" - wingspan
5' 11.5" - standing reach
50.7 - body fat
2.5 - no step vertical jump
3.0 - max vertical jump
2.1 - reps bench press
300.29 - 3/4 court sprint

In comparison I don’t think I would make the team :fro

LMFAO!!! :lol I wouldn't make it either I'm a little too short.

ceperez
07-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Tolliver's Evil Twin:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0etDaDJ5n5eBP/340x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/052j2ajaes6ET/340x.jpg

Playing center, 30lbs heavier, can't shoot (27%), but can take it aggressively to the rim!

Tully365
07-23-2008, 06:41 PM
:toast to the Benefactor. I feel ya.

Signing Tolliver is a low risk move. Clearly he has some upside and is a good shooter - at least for now. There's still time to develop his defense and other areas of his game. The fact that he played down low in college is yet another plus. This guy has potential written all over him. If he does develop into a productive rotation player and ultimately moves ahead of Bonner - even better. All of a sudden the Spurs will have a tradeable asset in Bonner.

All of a sudden, a reserve unit of Hill, Tolliver, Mahinmi and Gist (assuming he's earned a roster spot) has the makings of a very productive, and stout bench. That gives the Spurs a good mixture of offense, defense, youth, athleticism, and on-the-ball pressure. I absolutely love the prospects and the matchup possibilities!

:flag:

Hopefully the Spurs have caught a few guys who are rising at just the right time. Tolliver's progression from a post player in college to a perimeter shooter seems legit, after consistently shooting good percentages recently in Europe, the D League, and the summer leagues. I imagine the Spurs were most hopeful & watchful for Hill & Mahinmi, so if they also add Gist & Tolliver it'll be an unexpected bonus. Four rookies is a lot for a championship caliber team-- that would put an end to people characterizing the Spurs as old or conservative. Popovich will have his work cut out for him, incorporating 3 new guys (Mahinmi is at least a little bit familiar with the system), but, hey, that's what he gets paid for, right?

SenorSpur
07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Now that Tolliver is signed, I recalled the rumor about the Spurs having at least a
"passing interest" Nets rookie PF Ryan Anderson.

That said, can someone who is familiar with both compare the two? I'm interested in how they match up.

From my early findings, it appears that Anderson may be the better shooter, but is a weak defender.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=19084

ceperez
07-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Hopefully the Spurs have caught a few guys who are rising at just the right time. Tolliver's progression from a post player in college to a perimeter shooter seems legit, after consistently shooting good percentages recently in Europe, the D League, and the summer leagues. I imagine the Spurs were most hopeful & watchful for Hill & Mahinmi, so if they also add Gist & Tolliver it'll be an unexpected bonus. Four rookies is a lot for a championship caliber team-- that would put an end to people characterizing the Spurs as old or conservative. Popovich will have his work cut out for him, incorporating 3 new guys (Mahinmi is at least a little bit familiar with the system), but, hey, that's what he gets paid for, right?

Eh? Look at Boston for inspiration:

Glen Davis - Rookie
Rajon Rondo - Sophomore
Leon Powe - Sophomore
Kendirck Perkins - Drafted from HS. 5 years. (If he stayed 4 years in college, he would be a Rookie).

Boston has proven that you could do it, why can't the Spurs?

Anthony Tolliver - Played 4 years in college, 1 year in D-league/Germany
James Gist - Played 4 years in college
George Hill - Played 3 years in college
Mahinmi - Played 1 year in D-league

Looks like it's Hill and Mahinmi who aren't seasoned!

SPURSGOAT
07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=ceperez;2682435]Tolliver in action:

Defending the paint:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d9/fullj.449fcf4695a58e0c9155b046f1a76b76/449fcf4695a58e0c9155b046f1a76b76-getty-81648347_mm000_spurs_jazz.jpg

That dude looks like Bonner. :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Hustle 4 who can shoot the 3, rebound, and block shots? Not a bad prospect.

K-State Spur
07-23-2008, 06:57 PM

When he was at Creighton, he was more of a low block player. But he still had to be respected out to 15 feet or so.

It's not hard to imagine that he has extended that range a bit since becoming a professional.

Bartleby
07-23-2008, 06:59 PM
At first I thought his marksmanship from 3 pt. land was some sort of anomaly, but considering he shot .615 (8-13) from beyond the arc in three games in Vegas and 53.3% over four games at the RMR I guess he's figured something out.

If he can shoot at least 40% from behind the arc as a Spur I'll be thrilled.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Decent signing, but I'm incredulous about his three point shooting ability on a consistent basis...

Spur-Addict
07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
the nba comparison for Anthony Tolliver - Eduardo Nájera

My thoughts exactly.

urunobili
07-23-2008, 07:29 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101502&highlight=Tolliver&page=17

Yeah an undersized power forward who doesn't play much D is gonna make it rather than a good sized power forward with loads of potential.

Did you just say you'd rather have Tolliver than Mahinmi?

:owned

urunobili
07-23-2008, 07:31 PM
link to where I said spurs were not signing him

i should have taken it...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101502&highlight=Tolliver&page=19

sig bet:downspin:

Russ
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I like the signing. I hope it's a sign that Bonner is on the move soon.

Based upon the market established by Scola and Beno (both infinitely better than Bonner), how many draft picks will the Spurs have to trade away to be rid of Big Red? :wow

Biggems
07-23-2008, 07:39 PM
YES we signed Tolliver Twist....

I am very pleased.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 07:56 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101502&highlight=Tolliver&page=17

I said Mahinmi has a better shot to make it in the long run than Tolliver.

:lol Stop trying to put words in my mouth and get over yourself.

exstatic
07-23-2008, 07:58 PM

I'm kind of doubting that. A team normally signs players in July that it intends to keep. Players normally only sign in July if there is some guaranteed money. Both of those normal courses of events argue against your pessimism.

ceperez
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
One more tidbit, Tolliver is smart as nails:

"But he's not alone, and Altman is quick to cite Anthony Tolliver as a key to this team overcoming all it has faced. The senior big man came to Omaha planning to be a doctor, but then he decided finance was better for him. A solid contributor on the court who had 15 points and 13 rebounds in the title game, Tolliver has racked up the academic honors in his career with his 3.53 GPA. This year, they include being a CoSIDA academic All-American, CoSIDA academic all-district and MVC First Team Scholar Athlete. He's also heavily involved in the community and a charismatic young man that seems to naturally bond with everyone he comes across. "

objective
07-23-2008, 08:19 PM
This is really interesting. I can't remember a time when the Spurs signed a player so quickly after summer league.

Haven't seen this anywhere else on the thread . . .

But the Spurs signed Rich Melzer even earlier last summer to a two-year deal.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41522/20060714/spurs_sign_rich_melzer_to_two_year_deal/

Manufan909
07-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Nice. Anyone have a prediction for the active roster this season? I'd guess Gist and Vaughn would sit, so Bonner could look good for a midseason trade. Not sure how Tolliver would fit. I think it's between Tolliver and Gist for the 15th man spot.

Tony/George
Mason/Ginobili/Finley
Bruce/Ime
Tim/Ian/Matt
Kurt/Fab

And Ian better prove the theory that he was just bored in the summer league, or he'll get mor Toro time. Can anyone compare his stats between the Toros and this summer?

exstatic
07-23-2008, 08:27 PM

We weren't turning over the roster last season, and they were signed DAYS before camp, not in July.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Does mahinmi have the ability to guard long nba 3's/shifty nba 4's?

Brutalis
07-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Yeah and we'll wait on hell to freeze over together.

Sway
07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Good signing by the Spurs. Tolliver worked hard and earned his spot. You cant ask for more than that.

I dont think this hurts Gist chances of making the team as they are diffrent type of players and will play diffrent roles on the team.

pad300
07-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Hustle 4 who can shoot the 3, rebound, and block shots? Not a bad prospect.

Myself, I'm not sure about this one. Consider
http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbdl/players/t/tollian01d.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbdl/players/m/mahinia01d.html

Consider Tolliver and Ian's respective DLeague Seasons. Ian, considered a weak rebounder for a serious NBA prospect posted a rebound rate of 15.7%, Tolliver 13.0%. Ian produced more blocks (2.1 vs. 1.4), steals (1.7 vs. 1.2). While these stats aren't perfectly representative of D, it looks like Ian is a) a better efender, and b) Ian's defence/rebounding is considered weak. What does this make Tolliver?

On the offensive side of the ball, Ian score more (20.4 to 15.3 pts/36), at a higher percentage (.671 vs .577 TS%) and passed the ball more (1.6 vs 1.2 asst/36). The only saving grace is that Tolliver turned it over less than Ian (17.6% Ian vs. 12.2% Tolliver, TOV%).

The only thing I see is that Tolliver's 3 pt shooting has improved drastically, either that or he's on one hell of a hot streak. Consider the case of James Singleton when he first broke into the league with the Clippers. He shot .500 on 3's and .510 overall in his 1st season. In his second season, he only shot .214 on 3's and .366 overall. He went to Spain for a year, and signed this summer with Dallas...

ceperez
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Consider Tolliver and Ian's respective DLeague Seasons. Ian, considered a weak rebounder for a serious NBA prospect posted a rebound rate of 15.7%, Tolliver 13.0%. Ian produced more blocks (2.1 vs. 1.4), steals (1.7 vs. 1.2). While these stats aren't perfectly representative of D, it looks like Ian is a) a better efender, and b) Ian's defence/rebounding is considered weak. What does this make Tolliver?

To be honest, none of Tolliver's stats (3P%, FT%) from College, D-League or even the German league are remote close to his stats in the summer league. Is he on some ridiculous shooting streak or has he finally figured out how to shoot with deadly accuracy?

What favors Tolliver over Mahinmi is that Tolliver knows where to position himself on the court, Mahinmi on the other hand seems lost a lot of times.

nil.ball
07-23-2008, 09:32 PM
haha
someone on your roster is name tolliver! hahaha
:rollin
manu and tolliver!

VaSpursFan
07-23-2008, 09:35 PM
What favors Tolliver over Mahinmi is that Tolliver knows where to position himself on the court, Mahinmi on the other hand seems lost a lot of times.

tolliver has been playing organized ball longer so it's more intuitive to him. ian is still robot like with everything he does on the b-ball court but he's putting it together slowly but surely.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 10:08 PM

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41522/20060714/spurs_sign_rich_melzer_to_two_year_deal/

That was two summers ago. Also, two different scenarios.

Tully365
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Eh? Look at Boston for inspiration:

Glen Davis - Rookie
Rajon Rondo - Sophomore
Leon Powe - Sophomore
Kendirck Perkins - Drafted from HS. 5 years. (If he stayed 4 years in college, he would be a Rookie).

Boston has proven that you could do it, why can't the Spurs?

Anthony Tolliver - Played 4 years in college, 1 year in D-league/Germany
James Gist - Played 4 years in college
George Hill - Played 3 years in college
Mahinmi - Played 1 year in D-league

Looks like it's Hill and Mahinmi who aren't seasoned!

I didn't say they couldn't do it. I said it would be a lot of work for Popovich. And your comparison is still one rookie to four rookies. Powe, Rondo, and Perkins all had full seasons to get used to the Celtic system. I sill think all of the moves have been good, and it would have been the best off season in a very long time if Splitter had come too.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
That was two summers ago. Also, two different scenarios.

And the contract was only guaranteed for $50K, IIRC.

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 10:29 PM

Major problem on SpursTalk! Everyone puts words in peoples mouths.

ducks
07-23-2008, 10:36 PM
i should have taken it...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101502&highlight=Tolliver&page=19

you said ian would not make it as a spur
I said he would
and said sig bet:lol

Biggems
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
So now they can write the sequel to Gulliver's Travels

Tolliver's Travels

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Myself, I'm not sure about this one. Consider
http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbdl/players/t/tollian01d.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbdl/players/m/mahinia01d.html

On the offensive side of the ball, Ian score more (20.4 to 15.3 pts/36), at a higher percentage (.671 vs .577 TS%) and passed the ball more (1.6 vs 1.2 asst/36). The only saving grace is that Tolliver turned it over less than Ian (17.6% Ian vs. 12.2% Tolliver, TOV%).

The only thing I see is that Tolliver's 3 pt shooting has improved drastically, either that or he's on one hell of a hot streak. Consider the case of James Singleton when he first broke into the league with the Clippers. He shot .500 on 3's and .510 overall in his 1st season. In his second season, he only shot .214 on 3's and .366 overall. He went to Spain for a year, and signed this summer with Dallas...

um, ok, so he's not as good as Mahinmi.

DROB4EVER
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Nice young guy to develop, will split time with Spurs and Toros

timvp
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM

Yeah I saw that the Spurs signed Melzer and Jamar Smith early that year. But that was before summer league and the contracts turned out to be training camp invites with only a few G's guaranteed. Looking back on it, it looks like the Spurs did that to get Melzer to leave the Magic's summer league team and join the Spurs.

Hopefully the contract Tolliver signed only has $50K guaranteed. That'd give the Spurs good flexibility in case they need to end up waiving him.

Solid D
07-23-2008, 10:53 PM
YES we signed Tolliver Twist....

I am very pleased.

...and with that nickname, I submit this pic

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080719/capt.45742a82b15d41fbab2802ad02cfc3ed.rmr_d_league _spurs_basketball_rmr109.jpg?x=242&y=345&sig=KGAeVhFBPiYR4vpos21GCQ--

ducks
07-23-2008, 10:55 PM
looks like a player that can play all season unlike horry
I wonder if he can shot 20% in the playoffs like horry :lol:lol:lol
and get a whole 2 rebounds a game:lmao:lmao
and then if he gets waived act ticked at spurs:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2008, 10:56 PM
looks like a player that can play all season unlike horry
I wonder if he can shot 20% in the playoffs like horry :lol:lol:lol
and get a whole 2 rebounds a game:lmao:lmao
and then if he gets waived act ticked at spurs:lol

Why all the hate? Horry single handedly won us a championship when Duncan and Parker were in the fetal position.

Go get laid or something ducks.

pad300
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
um, ok, so he's not as good as Mahinmi.
Yeah, but the point I'm trying to make is that the weaknesses that might yet make Mahinmi bust, lack of rebounding and defense, (for which he has been criticized on this board), are significantly weaker for Tolliver. Yes, Tolliver's jumpshot is much better (and key to this signing), but Mahinmi's overall scoring (particularly in the post) is much better. I am unconvinced that Tolliver will can overcome these problems and become a useful contributor.

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Why all the hate? Horry single handedly won us a championship when Duncan and Parker were in the fetal position.

horry hating on the spurs
spurs did not know what direction they would go until after summer league

spurs do not owe horry anything

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:04 PM

single players according to people here never win or lose anything by themselves

nil.ball
07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
single players according to people here never win or lose anything by themselves

see tracy mcgrady, 35 seconds against spurs...

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:07 PM
see tracy mcgrady, 35 seconds against spurs...

Without stupid fouls and missed free throws on the Spurs part, that doesn't happen.

So... he didn't do it on his own.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah, but the point I'm trying to make is that the weaknesses that might yet make Mahinmi bust, lack of rebounding and defense, (for which he has been criticized on this board), are significantly weaker for Tolliver. Yes, Tolliver's jumpshot is much better (and key to this signing), but Mahinmi's overall scoring (particularly in the post) is much better. I am unconvinced that Tolliver will can overcome these problems and become a useful contributor.

He's been criticized on this board by morons who expect every Spurs rookie to make the All-NBA 1st team in their first season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2008, 11:25 PM
horry hating on the spurs
spurs did not know what direction they would go until after summer league

What does not knowing their direction have to do with picking up the phone and give one of the clutchest shooters in NBA post-season history a phone call?

Damn.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
I thought the problem was the Spurs were "too old"? Now I guess the forum conventional stupidity will be that they are 'too inexperienced'...

Kori Ellis
07-23-2008, 11:27 PM

They owe him the common courtesy of a phone call, I would think. But I don't know if they didn't call him. I know RC said that he hadn't talked to him, but I'm not sure if the Spurs didn't talk to him at all.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:28 PM
You would have to think they told him something at the last interview.

Probably told him their goal was to get younger.

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:28 PM
What does not knowing their direction have to do with picking up the phone and give one of the clutchest shooters in NBA post-season history a phone call?

Damn.

summer league just got over
spurs have better things to do
they are trying to build a championship team
was horry making sure when spurs played the lakers to tell the world that pop was > phil expecting to have spurs reserved him a spot on the roster

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
You would have to think they told him something at the last interview.

Probably told him their goal was to get younger.

most likely they said something like that
and how the summer league went

Aggie Hoopsfan
summer league just got over
spurs have better things to do
they are trying to build a championship team
was horry making sure when spurs played the lakers to tell the world that pop was > phil expecting to have spurs reserved him a spot on the roster

You're dumb.

The Spurs have hung their hats on treating players with respect and being a classy organization, and now you're defending them for basically telling Horry to fuck off without so much as the courtesy of a phone call.

I can't figure out what's worse, your Manu bashing of late, or your defense of the front office in this situation.

DPG21920
I thought the problem was the Spurs were "too old"? Now I guess the forum conventional stupidity will be that they are 'too inexperienced'...

I think it is a fine line. You want to get younger but also have solid contributors. You can not be old because other teams will pass you by. It is a hard balancing act the Spurs F.O. has to pull.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 11:30 PM
I think it is a fine line. You want to get younger but also have solid contributors. You can not be old because other teams will pass you by. It is a hard balancing act the Spurs F.O. has to pull.

Parker
Ginobili
Duncan
Bowen
Thomas

There's your experienced solid contributors.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Parker
Ginobili
Duncan
Bowen
Thomas

:lol ftw.

T Park
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Parker
Ginobili
Duncan
Bowen
Thomas

Yeah I think those guys are ok :lol

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Duncan.

Parker.

Manu.

Do you know how many teams would kill for those three to all wear their uniforms?

Also, think about it. For the first time ever, they will be surrounded by young athletic players. :wow

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
You're dumb.

The Spurs have hung their hats on treating players with respect and being a classy organization, and now you're defending them for basically telling Horry to fuck off without so much as the courtesy of a phone call.

I can't figure out what's worse, your Manu bashing of late, or your defense of the front office in this situation.

prove they did not tell him their plans when they did his exit interview

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:40 PM
You're dumb.

Did I miss something (an article, quote?) because I haven't read or seen anywhere where it's stated that Horry has been ignored, not even so much as a phone call.

pad300
07-23-2008, 11:40 PM
He's been criticized on this board by morons who expect every Spurs rookie to make the All-NBA 1st team in their first season.

Maybe you're right. Hell, I hope your right. But look at the bigs who have had calll ups from the D-League to the NBA...
Amir Johnson - Reb Rate in last D league season 15.2%
Chris Andersen - Reb Rate in last D league season 13.9%
Mikki Moore - Reb Rate for D League career 13.7%
Chuck Hayes - Reb Rate in last D league season 20.8%
Stephen Lasme - Reb Rate in last D league season 14.5%
Lance Allred - Reb Rate in last D league season 19.2%
Jelani McCoy - Reb Rate in last D league season 14.5% (note, he used to be an NBA player, he's dropped off considerably)
(this isn't all of them, but those I could find after a quick googling and off the top of my head).

The lowest D leageu Reb Rate is 13.7%. Tolliver is at 13%...

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:41 PM
How many of those players "reb rate" came from playing on a team that preaches team defense like the Spurs?

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Parker
Ginobili
Duncan
Bowen
Thomas

I know, but I think others are upset because they see guys they know and trust go out the door. I am fine with our roster. There are needs, but our big 3 (4) are the best in the league imo.

I was referring to the young guys coming in. Hill, Gist, Hairston, Ian and Tolliver have not really played in the NBA (Ian has a little). People just have unrealistic expectations for rookies.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Let's not forget Mason.

He will be a contributor.

pad300
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
How many of those players "reb rate" came from playing on a team that preaches team defense like the Spurs?

Considering their all from the DLeague. None of them...

PS. Reb Rate is the shorthand for Rebound Rate - the % of rebounds that occur when your on the floor that you get. If all the players on the floor split the rebounds equally, it's 10%.

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Let's not forget Mason.

He will be a contributor.

and Oberto

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Considering their all from the DLeague. None of them...

PS. Reb Rate is the shorthand for Rebound Rate - the % of rebounds that occur when your on the floor that you get. If all the players on the floor split the rebounds equally, it's 10%.

For someone reason I read that as some type of defensive rating. lol

Well, he averaged 5 rebounds in the Vegas summer league.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Tolliver played in 25 D-league games and grabbed 6+ boards a night. In college he was an acceptable rebounder. In any event, he's a prospect, nothing more.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
I know, but I think others are upset because they see guys they know and trust go out the door. I am fine with our roster. There are needs, but our big 3 (4) are the best in the league imo.

I was referring to the young guys coming in. Hill, Gist, Hairston, Ian and Tolliver have not really played in the NBA (Ian has a little). People just have unrealistic expectations for rookies.

I expect the rookies to be raw, look good at times, and look really awful at other times. Such is life when you add youth to the supporting cast. Spurs fans won't be able to handle most of next season.

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Tolliver played in 25 D-league games and grabbed 6+ boards a night. In college he was an acceptable rebounder. In any event, he's a prospect, nothing more.

sounds like a horry replacement to me
lets just hope he can play before the allstar game unlike horry

pad300
07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
sounds like a horry replacement to me
lets just hope he can play before the allstar game unlike horry

Lets see if he can give Bonner a run for his money. Then we can start with Horry replacement...

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Tolliver is horry replacement not booner

Kori Ellis
07-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't even know if they guaranteed Tolliver's contract. So I wouldn't be penciling him in as an Horry replacement.

ducks
07-24-2008, 12:02 AM
true but he can not be worse then horry last year

DPG21920
07-24-2008, 12:03 AM
I expect the rookies to be raw, look good at times, and look really awful at other times. Such is life when you add youth to the supporting cast. Spurs fans won't be able to handle most of next season.

Agreed. I do not think Pop will be able to handle it sometimes! He is going to have that burning ball of rage in his chest, lol.

Kori Ellis
07-24-2008, 12:03 AM
true but he can not be worse then horry last year

He could. He could be just waived if he doesn't make it through camp if his contract is non/partially guaranteed.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Agreed. I do not think Pop will be able to handle it sometimes! He is going to have that burning ball of rage in his chest, lol.

Pop is part of this move. I'm sure he understands what it entails.

DPG21920
07-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I would be so happy if Hill could give us the defense of Vaughn but a little more penetration. If Ian could give us 5 points, 4 rebounds and some solid shot altering in limited minutes that would be great as long as he shows some flashes of brilliance to go along with the foul trouble.

I just think people hear the word replacement and assume minutes sky-rocket, that is just not the case for rookies, unless you are the cream of the crop.

DPG21920
07-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Pop is part of this move. I'm sure he understands what it entails.

He is part of it, but I bet that he too will feel the growing pains that are a necessary evil of infusing much needed young talent. Pop likes veterans and will lean on them I imagine, but he is good about giving young players with potential minutes. He is a coach, he gets mad at Duncan still, he loves him, but...he is a coach. That is why I love Pop.

DPG21920
07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
All seasons have the up and down, 82 games are a lot to play, especially when your are infusing new players. We must be patient. The Spurs still have plenty of veterans that can carry a team and they will be doing most of the work.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2008, 12:13 AM
He is part of it, but I bet that he too will feel the growing pains that are a necessary evil of infusing much needed young talent. Pop likes veterans and will lean on them I imagine, but he is good about giving young players with potential minutes. He is a coach, he gets mad at Duncan still, he loves him, but...he is a coach. That is why I love Pop.

Make no mistake, Pop and Duncan have the burning desire to win. That's why Duncan has re-upped with the Spurs 3 times and why Pop is currently agreeing to the overhaul of the supporting cast.

ducks
07-24-2008, 12:13 AM
this place is going to suck if spurs start off slow like they usually do

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2008, 12:15 AM

...or they lose a game.

DPG21920
07-24-2008, 12:15 AM

That is going to be inevitable I think. Especially if the Spurs are changing line-ups all the time and trying to find what young guys to keep on the active roster. No big deal as long as they get it right come playoff time.

DPG21920
07-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Make no mistake, Pop and Duncan have the burning desire to win. That's why Duncan has re-upped with the Spurs 3 times and why Pop is currently agreeing to the overhaul of the supporting cast.

Ya, and they are not done yet. I do not think Pop or Duncan would allow the Spurs to enter full on "re-build" mode. They think what they are doing will allow them to win now. They have a business model: Solid franchise players, smart, financially sound signings to surround the main guys and great people players. I know for sure they think what they are doing can help them win now, only time will if they will. There is such a fine line between winning a championship and not, just because you do not win a title does not mean you are not successful as a franchise or that your business model is wrong.

Spurtacus
07-24-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm surprised he is going to be signed before Hill and Gist.

wijayas
07-24-2008, 12:50 AM

Completely agree. :toast
Pop entrusted TP with a starting role on TP's 2nd NBA game!

DPG21920
07-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm surprised he is going to be signed before Hill and Gist.

Well the Spurs have Hill's and Gist's rights so they can not sign to another team right now. Tolliver needed to be signed now because he can sign with anyone, and likely would have after his nice SL performance.

Spurtacus
07-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Well the Spurs have Hill's and Gist's rights so they can not sign to another team right now. Tolliver needed to be signed now because he can sign with anyone, and likely would have after his nice SL performance.

Makes sense.

How's his defense?

TDMVPDPOY
07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
arg malik rose in the makn

DPG21920
07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Makes sense.

How's his defense?

He is solid. Nothing spectacular, but a smart overall player.

wisnub
07-24-2008, 01:04 AM
He got legit 3 point. i hope hes diamond in a rough altough i dont understand why the fuck we didnt sign barry? all we talk is about the money..so fuckin sad. I hope he's knockin down 3 and scoring the ball..and sacrifice his body for a charge

Blackjack
07-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Spurs sign summer shooting star

Jeff McDonald - Express-News

Anthony Tolliver, the surprising shooting star of the Spurs’ summer league squad, has parlayed his successful July audition into an NBA contract.

The Spurs announced Wednesday they have signed the former Creighton standout, locking up his rights with more than two months left until training camp.

After spending much of last season in the NBA’s Development League, Tolliver — a 6-foot-8 forward — was a revelation in summer competition for the Spurs earlier this month.

He singed nets in both Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, averaging 11.9 points in seven games, while shooting 51.6 percent (16 of 31) from the 3-point arc.

Since Tolliver’s deal is not fully guaranteed, he will have to earn a roster spot in training camp. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Tolliver stands a legitimate chance of doing just that.

The timing of Tolliver’s signing — late July instead of late September — suggests that the Spurs regard him as more than just camp fodder.

“I think time will tell in training camp,” Buford said. “But everyone’s opinion of him coming into summer league was pretty high.”

Tolliver, 23, has been on the Spurs’ radar for some time. His sharp-shooting summer only served to solidify his stock.

Skillwise, Tolliver is the type of player the Spurs have grown to covet: a big man with 3-point range and a high basketball IQ.

“He won’t shoot 52 percent for an entire season,” said Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer, who guided the club’s summer league team. “But he’s been shooting this well for a month, a month and a half. I think he’s a legitimate NBA 3-point shooter.”

Tolliver began last season in Cleveland’s training camp, but was waived three games into the preseason. He then landed with the Iowa Energy in the Development League, where he averaged 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 25 games.

News of Tolliver’s signing comes a day after the Spurs re-signed forward-center Kurt Thomas to a two-year deal.

The Express-News has learned that deal will pay Thomas a total of $8 million — $4.2 million next season and $3.8 in 2009-10.

Brox6
07-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Is he good? who is this guy?

Dex
07-24-2008, 01:20 AM
He got legit 3 point. i hope hes diamond in a rough altough i dont understand why the fuck we didnt sign barry? all we talk is about the money..so fuckin sad. I hope he's knockin down 3 and scoring the ball..and sacrifice his body for a charge

Upside.

I loved Brent Barry's play, but it was getting to the point that even when he was doing well out on the court, he was still too much of a liability on defense, and that's only bound to get worse.

I'd be surprised to see any rook come in with a shot as confident as Barry's, but they should be able to muster more athleticism, defense, and hustle to negate the difference. Plus, they could end up developing into something more, whereas Barry is only bound to go one direction at this point.

Spurtacus
07-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Is he good? who is this guy?

Good enough to be signed by an NBA team. :lol

I hope this signing means Bonner's days are numbered.

TDMVPDPOY
07-24-2008, 02:24 AM
is he even the long 3 we are lookin for?

ChumpDumper
07-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Anthony

Tolliver

is

not

a

timvp
07-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Anthony

Tolliver

is

not

a

and

especially

not

a

Fixed :smokin

Fillmoe
07-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Why do you guys sign so many bums?

ChumpDumper
07-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Fixed :smokinRight, Tolliver's signing means the FO has no confidence in George Hill's ability to run the point.

Slinkyman
07-24-2008, 03:47 AM

Beno Udrih, the end.

Fillmoe
07-24-2008, 03:59 AM
hes a star in this league buddy

Bruno
07-24-2008, 04:25 AM
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080724/SPORTS/807240380

Tolliver fulfills dream
Ex-Kickapoo, Creighton standout ready to take court with NBA's Spurs.

Michael Stacy • News-Leader • July 24, 2008

At a time when a growing number of NBA players are spurning contract offers stateside for more lucrative deals with European teams, Anthony Tolliver could not be happier to do the opposite.

The former Kickapoo High School basketball standout signed a contract with the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday, calling it "a dream come true." Terms of the deal were not released.

"I could potentially go overseas and make more money this year than I could in the NBA," Tolliver said by phone from Omaha, Neb. "But my dream isn't to play basketball to make as much money as I can.

"My goal and dream has always been to play in the NBA, so it was a really easy decision for me."

After helping Kickapoo to a Class 5 state championship in 2003, Tolliver went on to play at Creighton, where he earned first team All-Missouri Valley Conference honors and was named a finalist for the Senior CLASS award in 2007.

Undrafted out of college, the 6-foot-8 inch, 240-pound forward caught on with the Cleveland Cavaliers last year. He made the team's opening-day roster but was cut before playing in the regular season.

"I got a tremendous experience, a taste of it, last year," Tolliver said. "But this feels a lot more real, a lot more like a real opportunity. Last year it was like I was going in just hoping for the best. This year I feel like I can hopefully try to contribute to the team."

Following his stint with Cleveland, Tolliver played for the Iowa Energy of the NBA Developmental League and Bremerhaven in the German Basketball Bundesliga.

He piqued the Spurs' interest playing for their summer league team. In seven games, he averaged 13.4 points and 4.6 rebounds and shot 53 percent from beyond the arc.

"I'm going to try to give the Spurs a player that can come in, play defense on multiple positions, rebound the basketball and knock down open jump shots," Tolliver said. "I think that this is a perfect situation for someone like me."

timvp
07-24-2008, 04:39 AM
That's an interesting article. Nice find :tu

It's interesting to note that Tolliver thinks he can guard multiple positions. I think he's by far most suited for power forward but he can guard smallish centers and he can also possibly guard a player such as David West.

Tolliver is such a different player than he was just last year. He's lost a lot of weight and has added a very good looking three-point stroke. It'll be interesting to see how this re-invented version of Tolliver plays next to Duncan.

Between Tolliver and Gist, hopefully one of the two can play well enough to get a spot on the 12-man roster.

JPB
07-24-2008, 04:44 AM
"I'm going to try to give the Spurs a player that can come in, play defense on multiple positions, rebound the basketball and knock down open jump shots," Tolliver said. "I think that this is a perfect situation for someone like me."

Hill, Gist, Tolliver...
Looks like all these guys know what to say to please spurs FO and fans :lol

Streakyshooter08
07-24-2008, 05:00 AM
I hope this means Bonner is on the move. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. If Gist, Hill, Tolliver and Mahinmi all make the team I think Hairston has no chance. The Spurs won't carry 4 rookies and Mahinmi, at least it is hard to imagine.

Bruno
07-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Tolliver story has been so far quite similar to Udonis Haslem's ones.
Both were cut after training camp in their first pro year. They went overseas, lost a lot of weight and worked on their game. The next summer they did well in SL and get a NBA contract.
While they are quite different players, it's hard not to see similarities in their road to the NBA. I just hope than Tolliver will continue to follow Haslem's road and becomes a good NBA player.

VaSpursFan
07-24-2008, 06:31 AM
It's interesting to note that Tolliver thinks he can guard multiple positions. I think he's by far most suited for power forward but he can guard smallish centers and he can also possibly guard a player such as David West.

exactly what i was thinking!

mrspurs
07-24-2008, 07:00 AM
for all those people in here who cant stop yapping about horry,barry,bonner,tolliver,ian etc.......i personally have not forgot all the horrible games in the reg. and PO's....blowing 20 point leads, getting blown out by 20 point games and giving up....there is no excuse and there is no looking back, there is only getting better, and imo the spurs got better when they decided to part way withs old nba basketball players who had everything todo with our 20 point blow outs...horrible inside the paint defense, and most of all, lack of hunger(something every nba champion has, something i rarely saw last season)........imo many of the folks in this forum or spoiled(forgotten back when the bullets knocked us out, and it looked like that was our only chance of ever getting a ring, then 20 yrs down the road win 4 of them) i remember it like it was yesterday....(dang refs and kenon missing easy shots like fab)........we still aint good enough, NO and LA have been working on something and last season they got to where they wanted tobe....we on the other hand, really havnt been working on much but using the same ole,same ole........win or lose i personally was getting tired of blowing 20 point leads, and watching pop let the guys quit, cos he knew we didnt have a chance............that my friends is unheard of, and that was just a few months ago.....go spurs go

Sissiborgo
07-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Gist is better no doubt

Dreaming
07-24-2008, 09:34 AM
how is Tolliver's quickness?
can he do well in sf?

Bartleby
07-24-2008, 09:41 AM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2683370#post2683370

benefactor
07-24-2008, 09:43 AM
hes a star in this league buddy
And which league would that be? The Sacramento city rec league? Guess you don't realize that your team has handed Beno the Jerome James award by overpaying him and now he will give them about a quarter of the effort and will be immovable with his contract. Enjoy.

SpursFanFirst
07-24-2008, 10:05 AM

:ihit Are you trying to start trouble, Bottomtooth? :ihit

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
:ihit Are you trying to start trouble, Bottomtooth? :ihit

Oh I'm lookin for trouble, alright.

:makemyday

SpursFanFirst
07-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh I'm lookin for trouble, alright.

:makemyday

Awww...Poor Bonner. If the suspicions are true, and the Spurs are shopping him, all the haters can rejoice.

KickapooBBALL
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Anthony Tolliver's high school team the Kickapoo High Chiefs finished 30-1 and ranked sixth in the nation during his senior season, 2002-03.

http://kickapoobasketball.com

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Awww...Poor Bonner. If the suspicions are true, and the Spurs are shopping him, all the haters can rejoice.

I actually hope Bonner continues to be on the team and play. I haven't given up on him yet.

urunobili
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Anthony Tolliver's high school team the Kickapoo High Chiefs finished 30-1 and ranked sixth in the nation during his senior season, 2002-03.

thanks for the data! welcome aboard

VaSpursFan
07-24-2008, 10:25 AM

:wow anthony is that you?

welcome :toast