PDA

View Full Version : Horry out?

I. Hustle
07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Don Harris-

Robert Horry has said he wants to return to the NBA for a 17th season but now it appears it won't be with the San Antonio Spurs.

Horry, who has spent the last five seasons with the Spurs, told News4 on Wednesday, that there's very little chance he'll be back in a silver and black uniform.
"I don't think so," Horry said when asked if he was coming back to the Spurs. "I think it will be a cold day before that happens. I think they are involved in their youth movement and I think it's a 99 percent chance that I won't be coming back."

Last season, Horry missed most of training camp with personal issues and played in only 45 regular season games due to injuries.

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=2c5cbda0-0fb9-490e-bf61-f79db764a984

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
RC has already said he won't be back.

T Park
07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Sounds like hes a little pissed.

duncan228
07-23-2008, 09:49 PM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101551

VaSpursFan
07-23-2008, 09:50 PM
if he played better last season he may have been invited back...no one to blame but himself. thanks for the contributions, Rob but it is time to move on.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Still hit the most important shot in Spurs history

I. Hustle
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM

It's just cool to hear stuff from the actual players:toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM

I agree.

knee-knee-3
07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Damn, he sounds kinda bitter.

SenorSpur
07-23-2008, 10:03 PM
and........

I thought it was already obvious at this point.

Sorry Rob.

jag
07-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Don Harris-

Robert Horry has said he wants to return to the NBA for a 17th season but now it appears it won't be with the San Antonio Spurs.

Horry, who has spent the last five seasons with the Spurs, told News4 on Wednesday, that there's very little chance he'll be back in a silver and black uniform.
"I don't think so," Horry said when asked if he was coming back to the Spurs. "I think it will be a cold day before that happens. I think they are involved in their youth movement and I think it's a 99 percent chance that I won't be coming back."

Last season, Horry missed most of training camp with personal issues and played in only 45 regular season games due to injuries.

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=2c5cbda0-0fb9-490e-bf61-f79db764a984

Are you trying to make up for that garbage thread you started earlier?

ceperez
07-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Really unfortunate. We could not have won against the Pistons without him.

However, he's not been up to par the following seasons. The last season was probably the worst.

However, to his credit, he did play good defense for the time he was on the court. Unfortunately, he was completely tentative with his shot.

Maybe he just wants to come back after seeing his buddy Cassell and P.J.Brown win a title.

For the record I would rather we ditch Finley than Horry.

Ice009
07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Well Rob sounds pissed off, like really pissed off.

Everyone that keeps saying he doesn't want to play outside of Texas don't underestimate Rob. Like an above poster said don't be surprised if Rob ends up somewhere like Boston. He may be looking to nail another dagger for cutting him loose.

mystargtr34
07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
I think he's a little bitter, but at the same time i think he understands.

Tough to swallow, but i think its right for both sides to move on.

Good luck to him.

knee-knee-3
07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Really unfortunate. We could not have won against the Pistons without him.

However, he's not been up to par the following seasons. The last season was probably the worst.

However, to his credit, he did play good defense for the time he was on the court. Unfortunately, he was completely tentative with his shot.

Maybe he just wants to come back after seeing his buddy Cassell and P.J.Brown win a title.

For the record I would rather we ditch Finley than Horry.

Me too. I'd actually also rather ditch Bonner than Horry, but Tolliver's signing could shake things up.

I. Hustle
07-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Are you trying to make up for that garbage thread you started earlier?

Just something I saw. Are you still hurt about that?

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 10:11 PM

Not. Even. Close.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/elliott_miracle_200w.jpg

I. Hustle
07-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Not. Even. Close.

THANK YOU:lobt:

exstatic
07-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Not. Even. Close.

+1. Without the MDM, maybe we don't win our first, or any other championship.

baseline bum
07-23-2008, 10:41 PM

The cold day remark was because he said the team never made any contact with him over this summer, which is a pretty chickenshit move by RC/Pop. The least they could do was call him and tell him they were moving in a different direction, and to wish him luck. Dermarr Johnson deserves that, much less a player who singlehandedly won what was in effect a championship deciding game.

SenorSpur
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
For his own sake, I hope Horry catches on with some other team. At this stage of his career, he needs something to motivate him. I just hope he doesn't start a bitter tirade at the Spurs organization because they've elected to go in another direction.

SenorSpur
07-23-2008, 10:43 PM
The cold day remark was because he said the team never made any contact with him over this summer, which is a pretty chickenshit move by RC/Pop. The least they could do was call him and tell him they were moving in a different direction, and to wish him luck. Dermarr Johnson deserves that, much less a player who singlehandedly won what was in effect a championship deciding game.

Didn't think about that. I just presumed they had notified him accordingly.

NewJerSpur
07-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Not. Even. Close.

Anyone besides me still wonder how in the world Sean got that shot just beyond Sheed's reach? LOL.

ducks
07-23-2008, 10:52 PM
spurs could have told him about it earlier
maybe spurs also did not expect the player they signed today hit all those threes either during the summer games

it is business horry
and your act that you can only play in playoffs is not that great

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2008, 10:55 PM

It's pretty disappointing to hear, but then we're talking about the same two idiots who think Finley need to be back.

I just hope when Horry lands elsewhere we don't have to face him in the playoffs because you know he'll have one big fuck you RC and Pop left from three.

xtremesteven33
07-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Tribute to Mr Horry.......**tear**

6ibKbpd4bWk

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Not. Even. Close.

That is an incredible picture.

turiaf for president
07-23-2008, 11:07 PM
come back to laker land bob!!

NewJerSpur
07-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Shouldn't you change your name now that Ronny is a Warrior?

turiaf for president
07-23-2008, 11:09 PM
on a serious note. numbers wise i know he doesnt come close to regular hall of famers but do you guys think he deserves to get in? they were talking about it at a local radio show here in socal and the verdict was 50/50.

personally i think he deserves it. sure he was a role player and even with 6 rings people can argue that means the roll players in the 6 rings the bulls won should be in too. but horry had a huge impact in every year his team won the championship. thoughts?

turiaf for president
07-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Shouldn't you change your name now that Ronny is a Warrior?

lol he is but im still a huge ronny fan. imma root for him til he retires. still remember the day he was diagnosed to have heart surgery. that man as a huge heart. no pun intended. hes the type of guy every team wants on their team. wish him the best =D

knee-knee-3
07-23-2008, 11:11 PM
come back to laker land bob!!

why would he want to play for a coach that is inferior to Pop?

NewJerSpur
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
lol he is but im still a huge ronny fan. imma root for him til he retires. still remember the day he was diagnosed to have heart surgery. that man as a huge heart. no pun intended. hes the type of guy every team wants on their team. wish him the best =D

Understood. As you were.

turiaf for president
07-23-2008, 11:14 PM
why would he want to play for a coach that is inferior to Pop?

are u seriously gonna take this there? :rolleyes

horry will def be remembered as mr clutch for a long long time

knee-knee-3
07-23-2008, 11:19 PM
are u seriously gonna take this there? :rolleyes

horry will def be remembered as mr clutch for a long long time

No, I'm just being an asshole (it's a silly debate). But I do agree that Horry was sooo clutch that he will get some HOF consideration, and the media will mostly sing his praises. It might give the spurs some good PR, after the fact.

Ice009
07-23-2008, 11:20 PM

That's kinda what is sounds like. I am very mad if Pop or RC have not told him this.

T Park
07-23-2008, 11:21 PM
It's pretty disappointing to hear, but then we're talking about the same two idiots who think Finley need to be back.

I just hope when Horry lands elsewhere we don't have to face him in the playoffs because you know he'll have one big fuck you RC and Pop left from three.

Impossible.

Because you guys said he was done. So he can't possibly still play.

Link to where the Spurs are resigning Finley please?

Thanks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Impossible.

Because you guys said he was done. So he can't possibly still play.

Link to where the Spurs are resigning Finley please?

Thanks.

LJ mentioned it somewhere earlier this evening in one of the other threads. They want to bring Fin back as the 'vet presence' on the bench. :vomit:

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Barry, Horry...those guys can't play forever. Last season ended with everyone and their dog bitching about how the Spurs were "old" and whatever. Now that they are doing something about it suddenly it's now SpursNolstalgiaTalk.com.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Does anyone else take away from what Horry said as Finley not returning also?

knee-knee-3
07-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Barry, Horry...those guys can't play forever. Last season ended with everyone and their dog bitching about how the Spurs were "old" and whatever. Now that they are doing something about it suddenly it's now SpursNolstalgiaTalk.com.

But do you honestly think Bonner is an adequate replacement for Horry? Youth does not necessarily mean improvement (and I should add that I've been chirping for a youth movement since the 2007 Finals).

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:31 PM
spurs do need a vet guy on the bench
lets just hope finley does not play
just help coach the guys

horry does not want to coach
maybe finley does

Ice009
07-23-2008, 11:31 PM

Hey I'm not bitching about the Spurs going younger, but I will if the Spurs dumped Horry and didn't tell him about the youth movement after all he's done for us.

Hoy
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
spurs do need a vet guy on the bench

Spurs are veteran team.
If you want a coach, get a coach. Not a player whose skill is so diminished that is just about all he can do, sit on a bench and be a veteran, so he can be old?

knee-knee-3
07-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Spurs are veteran team.
If you want a coach, get a coach. Not a player whose skill is so diminished that is just about all he can do, sit on a bench and be a veteran, so he can be old?

So you're comfortable with the Bonner/Gist/Tolliver replacement?

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:46 PM
most teams have a player coach
on the team
spurs have some rookies this year that will be on the team

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:47 PM
So you're comfortable with the Bonner/Gist/Tolliver replacement?

I am.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:47 PM
most teams have a player coach
on the team
spurs have some rookies this year that will be on the team

Player coach?

Name them.

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
they are not paid to coach but they are veterns
that coach
steve smith was one of them when he was with the spurs

knee-knee-3
07-23-2008, 11:50 PM
I am.

I'm actually comfortable with the Gist/Tolliver replacement, sans Bonner.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
I'd like to see Bonner traded. For what? Maybe along with Oberto for SJax. Most like Bonner to X for two second round picks.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
But do you honestly think Bonner is an adequate replacement for Horry? Youth does not necessarily mean improvement (and I should add that I've been chirping for a youth movement since the 2007 Finals).

Do I think Bonner is an adequate replacement for a 4 man who can shoot the 3? Sure, how is he not?

Is he a replacement for Horry's savviness and clutch play? Nope. That'll have to come from someone else.

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Do I think Bonner is an adequate replacement for a 4 man who can shoot the 3? Sure, how is he not?

Is he a replacement for Horry's savviness and clutch play? Nope. That'll have to come from someone else.

did the spurs trade the clutch manu, duncan from downtown

timvp
07-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I'd like to see Bonner traded. For what? Maybe along with Oberto for SJax. Most like Bonner to X for two second round picks.More like Bonner and two second round picks for nothing.

ducks
07-23-2008, 11:53 PM
booner for s jackson would be like
gasol for k brown

knee-knee-3
07-23-2008, 11:57 PM

That's my point, though. Bonner can probably sub admirably during the regular season, but he's (at this point) of no use for a playoff run. I'd like to see Gist or Tolliver develop this year in SA, not Austin.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2008, 11:59 PM
You keep Bonner. There's really no reason to move him. He can knock down the 3 at a very good clip when he gets regular minutes. He's averaged something like 3 boards in 11 minutes in SA which isn't a bad rate either.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
That's my point, though. Bonner can probably sub admirably during the regular season, but he's (at this point) of no use for a playoff run. I'd like to see Gist or Tolliver develop this year in SA, not Austin.

So how are Gist or Tolliver any more likely to be able to replace Horry's clutch savvy play?

knee-knee-3
07-24-2008, 12:03 AM
You keep Bonner. There's really no reason to move him. He can knock down the 3 at a very good clip when he gets regular minutes. He's averaged something like 3 boards in 11 minutes in SA which isn't a bad rate either.

But what has he actually proven? Horry's playoff numbers were abysmal, but Bonner never sniffed any meaningful minutes. Pop apparently thinks he has nothing to offer.

knee-knee-3
07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
So how are Gist or Tolliver any more likely to be able to replace Horry's clutch savvy play?

Their potential contributions are still unknown. Bonner has had his chance, and he failed.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2008, 12:06 AM
But what has he actually proven? Horry's playoff numbers were abysmal, but Bonner never sniffed any meaningful minutes. Pop apparently thinks he has nothing to offer.

Over Horry? Sure.

Pop sat Jack behind 47 year old Steve Smith for an entire season once.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Their potential contributions are still unknown. Bonner has had his chance, and he failed.

Not really. He will have his chance next season.

knee-knee-3
07-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Over Horry? Sure.

Pop sat Jack behind 47 year old Steve Smith for an entire season once.

So what exactly (I'm too lazy to comb through these threads) do you think the signing of Tolliver signifies? I'll give my totally obvious opinion now: Bonner will hurt - not help - our attempt at another title!

knee-knee-3
07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Not really. He will have his chance next season.

Isn't he in Pop's doghouse?

ducks
07-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Isn't he in Pop's doghouse?

right now he is not
depends if he comes in camp overweight

knee-knee-3
07-24-2008, 12:16 AM
right now he is not
depends if he comes in camp overweight

I saw him at Whole Foods a few months ago, so maybe he's watching his weight.

Ice009
07-24-2008, 12:55 AM
I'd like to see Bonner traded. For what? Maybe along with Oberto for SJax. Most like Bonner to X for two second round picks.

lol DO NOT get me excited. Personally I'd do that trade. I doubt anyone else would though especially on GSW's side ;).

MannyIsGod
07-24-2008, 01:05 AM
More like Bonner and two second round picks for nothing.

Fuck it. Would end up getting back a nice TE i guess.

wisnub
07-24-2008, 01:21 AM
spurs could have told him about it earlier
maybe spurs also did not expect the player they signed today hit all those threes either during the summer games

it is business horry
and your act that you can only play in playoffs is not that great

yes...horry got 2 years to proved he can still shoot 3 in playoffs and missed all of em....he should be retiring to save his own face. Thank you Big Shot Bob for all you have done, but please dont make any more drama....fuck off please

jcrod
07-24-2008, 01:40 AM

Far from it, how so if it was for their 3rd chaimpionship

Not. Even. Close.

Yes sir.

SenorSpur
07-24-2008, 02:05 AM
I hope Horry isn't bitter, but if he is.....fuck it. The move had to be made.

Obstructed_View
07-24-2008, 05:13 AM
You know, guys? A fucking phone call ain't much to ask.

Ice009
07-24-2008, 05:44 AM
yes...horry got 2 years to proved he can still shoot 3 in playoffs and missed all of em....he should be retiring to save his own face. Thank you Big Shot Bob for all you have done, but please dont make any more drama....fuck off please

Doesn't anyone remember the big shots he hit in the Nuggets series in 2007? People say he's done nothing the last couple of years, well I think Rob did help in the 2007 playoffs. Forget the Nash foul. Rob hit a huge couple of shots against the Nuggets. He also stepped up in game 2 of the finals.

OH and by the way saying "FUCK OFF" to Robert Horry is freaking LOW. Why don't you FUCK OFF.

ceperez
07-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Doesn't anyone remember the big shots he hit in the Nuggets series in 2007? People say he's done nothing the last couple of years, well I think Rob did help in the 2007 playoffs. Forget the Nash foul. Rob hit a huge couple of shots against the Nuggets. He also stepped up in game 2 of the finals.

But in 2008 there was probably 1 game in the playoffs where he played well. So his contributions are diminishing. Every time you play him you're taking away opportunities for other players to make a contribution.

Though I'm going to admit, what has Finley done for us lately? I say that if we are letting go Horry, we might consider letting Finley go. I mean, Horry was at least active in defense (do you remember the big block on Shaq?). Finley? He was just standing there the entire playoffs eating up the time!

Sissiborgo
07-24-2008, 07:12 AM
hes out

MarHill
07-24-2008, 09:08 AM

I agree with you Marcus!!

It seems like spoiled Spurs fans wants to have it both ways!! :lmao

Spurs have decided to go younger and now people are reacting to Horry's comments that he might be bitter about leaving!!!

I enjoyed Horry's time here as a Spur....but it is time to move on!!

SenorSpur
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
No one in their right mind could ever discount Horry's contributions to our championship teams and the contributions he's made for the other champioinships teams for which he's been a part of. Unfortunately the time comes when every athlete can no longer "cut it" like they used to. It appears that time is now for Horry. It's nothing to be ashamed of and it certainly doesn't diminish his contributions. He can continue to play if he wants, just not here.

At this point in his career, Horry should understand the business side as well as anyone. If the Spurs didn't give him a courtesy call, then that's on them and they deserve to be criticized for it.

Outside of that, it's just business. It aint personal Let's get over the Horry nostalgia. Dude can't play forever. There are more championships out here to be had. The Spurs are restocking the roster to do just that.

angel_luv
07-24-2008, 03:27 PM
I will miss Robert Horry.

There was a time, I never thought that would be possible.

But somehow when Robert became a Spur he became good people. :)

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Far from it, how so if it was for their 3rd chaimpionship

Yes sir.

Sorry... Horry shot is easily a more important shot in my opinion.

People forget that Tim was having what might of been the worst game of his career, and Horry almost single handedly bailed him out of what would of been looked upon as a Chris Webber like choke job

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Plus I still think Spurs would of pulled out the Portland series... even if they lost the MDM

lotr1trekkie
07-24-2008, 03:42 PM
The fact is we don't have a reliable big to replace Horry. BRING HIM BACK ONE MORE TIME. Gist/Tolliver? When will they be ready for primetime playoff minutes? 2009-10 maybe? Granted, Horry didn'y contribute vs Lakers but then why was he Pop's best option still? Bonner' seems to be the neew Beno.

duncan228
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
People forget that Tim was having what might of been the worst game of his career, and Horry almost single handedly bailed him out of what would of been looked upon as a Chris Webber like choke job

Duncan did have a tough game, but it always amazes me when I see his line that night:

26 points (11-24)
19 boards, 8 offensive
2 assists
2 blocks
2 turnovers
His FT's stunk, 4-11

In almost any other game that line would have meant something. But he couldn't get us over the hump, Horry did. Duncan said at the post game press conference that Horry's performance was one of the best he'd ever been part of.

Spurs Brazil
07-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I think Pop doen't want Horry with the team because he know the 1st mistake Ian/Bonner do he'll call Horry and play him.

Pop wants to develop the young guys without the Horry ghost behind them

exstatic
07-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Sorry... Horry shot is easily a more important shot in my opinion.

Plus I still think Spurs would of pulled out the Portland series... even if they lost the MDM

What makes you say that? This team had a history of losing just short of the Finals. There was no championship history here. We had made it to the Conference Finals two times before '99 and lost both. Portland was EXTREMELY talented, and would have had the old MO-mentum going home. Teams that steal game two have a very long history of taking the seven game series.

Horry's shot was important for one championship. Sean's was important for ALL of the championships. Do you really think Duncan stays in 2000 without a ring? I think he would have packed in the locker room after the last game. No ring in '99? I think the old trophy case may well look like Dallas' about now.

rascal
07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Anyone besides me still wonder how in the world Sean got that shot just beyond Sheed's reach? LOL.

Its depth perception and the angle this photo was taken at that makes it look closer than it really was.

rascal
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
What makes you say that? This team had a history of losing just short of the Finals. There was no championship history here. We had made it to the Conference Finals two times before '99 and lost both. Portland was EXTREMELY talented, and would have had the old MO-mentum going home. Teams that steal game two have a very long history of taking the seven game series.

Horry's shot was important for one championship. Sean's was important for ALL of the championships. Do you really think Duncan stays in 2000 without a ring? I think he would have packed in the locker room after the last game. No ring in '99? I think the old trophy case may well look like Dallas' about now.

Agree. The first championship is always the hardest and sweetest to get.

duncan228
07-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Do you really think Duncan stays in 2000 without a ring?

Duncan, when he re-signed in 2000:

Orlando had a lot to offer. I went down there and had a good time. When it came down to it, I just like what I have here.

We have a great opportunity with myself and David at the core of the whole thing, and the fact that we have won it before.

MarHill
07-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Agree. The first championship is always the hardest and sweetest to get.

+1

:toast

wisnub
07-24-2008, 09:33 PM
he' s out...no need to get angry Ice009. But you're right..I should be more appreciative to him..He did help us in 2005 after all. He also help us against Nuggets,it just too painful to remember what happened in 2008 thats all. Nash foul give Suns excuse to labeled Spurs as dirty,at least that how Stoudemaire manipulate it. I didnt mean to ditch ur hero aite. I bet Horry didnt even read this forum anyway

Slippy
07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
No one in their right mind could ever discount Horry's contributions to our championship teams and the contributions he's made for the other champioinships teams for which he's been a part of. Unfortunately the time comes when every athlete can no longer "cut it" like they used to. It appears that time is now for Horry. It's nothing to be ashamed of and it certainly doesn't diminish his contributions. He can continue to play if he wants, just not here.

At this point in his career, Horry should understand the business side as well as anyone. If the Spurs didn't give him a courtesy call, then that's on them and they deserve to be criticized for it.

Outside of that, it's just business. It aint personal Let's get over the Horry nostalgia. Dude can't play forever. There are more championships out here to be had. The Spurs are restocking the roster to do just that.

It's a shame that it has come to this. I appreciated all he did but it was plain to see that he was past it. The look on Horry's face when passing up open shots or bricking them when he did shoot was of a fallen man. Not even playing against a former team was able to re-kindle the touch and confidence that made him one of the greatest role players ever. Offensively and defensively Horry was a liability that just doesn't belong in the WC finals. It was sad to see. The only reason i can think of why Horry wants to keep playing is to make ammends but that can't distort the truth. Horry's role was integeral to the Spurs. They showed the faith all of last season and playoffs because of his rep and past contributions. In the end that false hope played into Lakers hands.

I think there's more to it than just a business decision. The Horry of last season was of a grumpy and disgruntled player. A few times he showed his dis-pleasure on the sidelines for all to see. When it was obvious to the most casul fans that Horry didn't deserve to be out there. That surely would of tested Pop's patience even though publically he put up with it. That sort of act even if only rare would not be acceptable to the Spurs. Not the kind of presense you want when you got a bunch of youngsters coming in. If Horry is continuing that bitterness at the spurs then it's mis-placed. The Spurs are smartly moving on, so should he. Build a bridge and try looking at the mirror Rob.

SenorSpur
07-25-2008, 09:32 AM
It's a shame that it has come to this. I appreciated all he did but it was plain to see that he was past it. The look on Horry's face when passing up open shots or bricking them when he did shoot was of a fallen man. Not even playing against a former team was able to re-kindle the touch and confidence that made him one of the greatest role players ever. Offensively and defensively Horry was a liability that just doesn't belong in the WC finals. It was sad to see. The only reason i can think of why Horry wants to keep playing is to make ammends but that can't distort the truth. Horry's role was integeral to the Spurs. They showed the faith all of last season and playoffs because of his rep and past contributions. In the end that false hope played into Lakers hands.

I think there's more to it than just a business decision. The Horry of last season was of a grumpy and disgruntled player. A few times he showed his dis-pleasure on the sidelines for all to see. When it was obvious to the most casul fans that Horry didn't deserve to be out there. That surely would of tested Pop's patience even though publically he put up with it. That sort of act even if only rare would not be acceptable to the Spurs. Not the kind of presense you want when you got a bunch of youngsters coming in. If Horry is continuing that bitterness at the spurs then it's mis-placed. The Spurs are smartly moving on, so should he. Build a bridge and try looking at the mirror Rob.

Horry maintained all last summer that the '07-'08 season would be his last. He played the season as though he'd already checked out. Your points about his play, his posture and apparent grumpiness are well-taken.

It must be a frustrating thing to be forced into the realization that you can no longer perform. Looking in the mirror can be a tough thing. Sometimes the athlete is the last to know that his skills have faded. The longer you hang around the less likely you'll be able to leave under your own volition. Some are forced into retirement when the phone stops ringing. See Gary Payton, Tim Hardaway, Doug Christie, among others.

Horry has absolutely nothing to be bitter about. He's had a career and a reputation for the ages. Complete with a highlight package of clutch plays that will go down as some of the best in NBA history. Hold your head up Rob and lose the bitterness.

ceperez
07-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Horry has absolutely nothing to be bitter about. He's had a career and a reputation for the ages. Complete with a highlight package of clutch plays that will go down as some of the best in NBA history. Hold your head up Rob and lose the bitterness.

I don't think there would be any other team like the Spurs that would rest a player all regular season and have him play critical minutes during the playoffs. It's unheard of and Horry can't expect better treatment from other teams in the league. In fact, in most other teams, their own players will go ballistic if this kind of 'favoritism' ever occurs.

Ice009
07-25-2008, 07:00 PM
he' s out...no need to get angry Ice009. But you're right..I should be more appreciative to him..He did help us in 2005 after all. He also help us against Nuggets,it just too painful to remember what happened in 2008 thats all. Nash foul give Suns excuse to labeled Spurs as dirty,at least that how Stoudemaire manipulate it. I didnt mean to ditch ur hero aite. I bet Horry didnt even read this forum anyway

Horry's not my hero, but a guy that was a big reason we won a Championship in 2005 doesn't deserve to be told to "FUCK OFF" by anyone. Do you get how disrespectful that is? Winning a Championship is HUGE. I just don't understand how you can say FUCK OFF after what he's done for us. So last season was a disappointment. Would you rather have only two championships or 4 cause we may have only had 2 if Horry wasn't around.

I got nothing against you at all. I just don't get how you can kick someone to the curb like that. If you want him gone fine, that is cool, but maybe you could say it in a different way instead of the disrespectful way you did say it in?

Also, I wanted the Spurs to get more youth last off season so I don't have a problem with them doing it. They should have started doing it sooner though. If it was my choice I would have liked to keep 1 of the 3 vets. My order would be Barry, Horry (I would have actually taken Horry first if his production wasn't so low last season cause you just can't teach clutch), Finley. If the Spurs bring back Finley I just don't understand why they would pick him out of the three.

Ice009
07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I think Pop doen't want Horry with the team because he know the 1st mistake Ian/Bonner do he'll call Horry and play him.

Pop wants to develop the young guys without the Horry ghost behind them

Very, very good take SpursBrazil. That is a legit reason to let Horry go. Pop I think did that a lot in the playoffs. The Lakers series Kurt Thomas should have gotten more court time that Horry. Pop may have realized this after the series.

In 2004 I remember telling a friend at work that if we're going to have any chance of getting a game 7 in San Antonio against the Lakers Pop has to start Manu. Well what did Pop do? He freaking started Hedo again and then finally woke up giving Manu the start in second half which was too late by then. I think Pop did the same thing with Horry in this Lakers series. It seems that Pop sucks against the Lakers.

MarHill
07-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Horry's not my hero, but a guy that was a big reason we won a Championship in 2005 doesn't deserve to be told to "FUCK OFF" by anyone. Do you get how disrespectful that is? Winning a Championship is HUGE. I just don't understand how you can say FUCK OFF after what he's done for us. So last season was a disappointment. Would you rather have only two championships or 4 cause we may have only had 2 if Horry wasn't around.

I got nothing against you at all. I just don't get how you can kick someone to the curb like that. If you want him gone fine, that is cool, but maybe you could say it in a different way instead of the disrespectful way you did say it in?

Also, I wanted the Spurs to get more youth last off season so I don't have a problem with them doing it. They should have started doing it sooner though. If it was my choice I would have liked to keep 1 of the 3 vets. My order would be Barry, Horry (I would have actually taken Horry first if his production wasn't so low last season cause you just can't teach clutch), Finley. If the Spurs bring back Finley I just don't understand why they would pick him out of the three.

I believe the Spurs have been fair with Horry. Considering last season, Horry was dealing with a family issue. Pop let him take all the time he needed to get back on to the court. A lot of other organizations would have keep him off the roster or cut him if he didn't come back in a timely fashion.

Pop has always respected Horry and went to him time and again to see if he had another bullet in his gun.

The Spurs believe it is time for a change. And they probably reach out to Horry to let him know. If not...that would be a little cold ( I will admit it that) but the Spurs have also help him extend his career two-to-three more years and he has won 2 more rings as well.

Endings are never easy, especially for a pro athlete that is past their prime. I have no problem with the Spurs moving in a different direction. And if Horry gets on with another team...good for him!!

But it was time!!!

Ice009
07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
I believe the Spurs have been fair with Horry. Considering last season, Horry was dealing with a family issue. Pop let him take all the time he needed to get back on to the court. A lot of other organizations would have keep him off the roster or cut him if he didn't come back in a timely fashion.

Pop has always respected Horry and went to him time and again to see if he had another bullet in his gun.

The Spurs believe it is time for a change. And they probably reach out to Horry to let him know. If not...that would be a little cold ( I will admit it that) but the Spurs have also help him extend his career two-to-three more years and he has won 2 more rings as well.

Endings are never easy, especially for a pro athlete that is past their prime. I have no problem with the Spurs moving in a different direction. And if Horry gets on with another team...good for him!!

But it was time!!!

What exactly are you replying to? Why did you tell me all that?

The only problem I have with Spurs regarding Horry is if they haven't told him they are moving on with out him which IMO is disrespectful. I have no other problem with the Spurs regarding Horry if they are letting him go. Based on the way Horry played last season I can't really disagree with the FO decision on this one. I just said I would like one of the three vets back. I don't want them back for regular roles in the rotation I was thinking more for mentoring and some spot minutes.

The rest of my post was for wisnub who said Horry can "Fuck off". For some reason I took exception to that after what Horry has done for us.

MarHill
07-25-2008, 08:54 PM
What exactly are you replying to? Why did you tell me all that?

The only problem I have with Spurs regarding Horry is if they haven't told him they are moving on with out him which IMO is disrespectful. I have no other problem with the Spurs regarding Horry if they are letting him go. Based on the way Horry played last season I can't really disagree with the FO decision on this one. I just said I would like one of the three vets back. I don't want them back for regular roles in the rotation I was thinking more for mentoring and some spot minutes.

The rest of my post was for wisnub who said Horry can "Fuck off". For some reason I took exception to that after what Horry has done for us.

My point was how do we that the Spurs haven't reached out to him?

They could have!!

I actually agreed with you in a sense that IF the Spurs hadn't say anything to Horry than that would be kind of cold.

However, if Horry is determined to play another season and Spurs want to go in a different direction....I could understand their reluctance to talk to him.

Also, as a Spurs fan I have truly appreciated what he has done for the Spurs and wished last year he would have played a bigger role in the playoffs.

In short, you've only the heard the Horry side of the story and the Spurs could have very well told him what the direction they wanted to go in.

Ice009
07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
My point was how do we that the Spurs haven't reached out to him?

They could have!!

I actually agreed with you in a sense that IF the Spurs hadn't say anything to Horry than that would be kind of cold.

However, if Horry is determined to play another season and Spurs want to go in a different direction....I could understand their reluctance to talk to him.

Also, as a Spurs fan I have truly appreciated what he has done for the Spurs and wished last year he would have played a bigger role in the playoffs.

In short, you've only the heard the Horry side of the story and the Spurs could have very well told him what the direction they wanted to go in.

I agree with everything you've said. I just thought you thought I need to be told all that. I had pretty much the same opinion you outlined in your last post beforehand.

As I said I have no problem if the Spurs reached out to him and they're going in this direction.

Also, since you appreciate what Horry has done don't you find it a bit harsh hearing other people to tell him to "Fuck off"?

MarHill
07-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I agree with everything you've said. I just thought you thought I need to be told all that. I had pretty much the same opinion you outlined in your last post beforehand.

As I said I have no problem if the Spurs reached out to him and they're going in this direction.

Also, since you appreciate what Horry has done don't you find it a bit harsh hearing other people to tell him to "Fuck off"?

Yes, that would be kind of cold.

However, since Pop has given Horry a lot of leeway in three seasons he's played in SA. I would find it a little hard to believe that they didn't at least talk to him about this upcoming season.

As you know...most fans are ready to move on from a player as soon as he gets old or has lost a step. So that's doesn't surprise me at all.

You know we already have a thread to trade Manu! That is absolutely absurd to me.

So fans are fickle and fair-weather even if their team has won 4 championships in 9 years and has made at least the Western Conference Semis since 2001. This is the Golden Age of the Franchise!!!!!!!

Go figure!! :lol