PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs sign summer shooting star

Blackjack
07-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Spurs sign summer shooting star

Jeff McDonald - Express-News

Anthony Tolliver, the surprising shooting star of the Spurs’ summer league squad, has parlayed his successful July audition into an NBA contract.

The Spurs announced Wednesday they have signed the former Creighton standout, locking up his rights with more than two months left until training camp.

After spending much of last season in the NBA’s Development League, Tolliver — a 6-foot-8 forward — was a revelation in summer competition for the Spurs earlier this month.

He singed nets in both Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, averaging 11.9 points in seven games, while shooting 51.6 percent (16 of 31) from the 3-point arc.

Since Tolliver’s deal is not fully guaranteed, he will have to earn a roster spot in training camp. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Tolliver stands a legitimate chance of doing just that.

The timing of Tolliver’s signing — late July instead of late September — suggests that the Spurs regard him as more than just camp fodder.

“I think time will tell in training camp,” Buford said. “But everyone’s opinion of him coming into summer league was pretty high.”

Tolliver, 23, has been on the Spurs’ radar for some time. His sharp-shooting summer only served to solidify his stock.

Skillwise, Tolliver is the type of player the Spurs have grown to covet: a big man with 3-point range and a high basketball IQ.

“He won’t shoot 52 percent for an entire season,” said Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer, who guided the club’s summer league team. “But he’s been shooting this well for a month, a month and a half. I think he’s a legitimate NBA 3-point shooter.”

Tolliver began last season in Cleveland’s training camp, but was waived three games into the preseason. He then landed with the Iowa Energy in the Development League, where he averaged 11.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 25 games.

News of Tolliver’s signing comes a day after the Spurs re-signed forward-center Kurt Thomas to a two-year deal.

The Express-News has learned that deal will pay Thomas a total of $8 million — $4.2 million next season and $3.8 in 2009-10.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_sign_summer_shooting_star.html

timvp
07-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Since Tolliver’s deal is not fully guaranteed, he will have to earn a roster spot in training camp. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Tolliver stands a legitimate chance of doing just that.

The timing of Tolliver’s signing — late July instead of late September — suggests that the Spurs regard him as more than just camp fodder.It'd be interesting to know how much of it is guaranteed. I'd guess somewhere between $100K and $250K.

He probably will make the team. The only way he doesn't is if go out and sign two more veterans.

“I think time will tell in training camp,” Buford said. “But everyone’s opinion of him coming into summer league was pretty high.”

Tolliver, 23, has been on the Spurs’ radar for some time. His sharp-shooting summer only served to solidify his stock.

“He won’t shoot 52 percent for an entire season,” said Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer, who guided the club’s summer league team. “But he’s been shooting this well for a month, a month and a half. I think he’s a legitimate NBA 3-point shooter.”

It sounds like he's been working out with the Spurs all summer. The Spurs gave him good minutes in summer league and he responded well. Props to him :tu

Skillwise, Tolliver is the type of player the Spurs have grown to covet: a big man with 3-point range and a high basketball IQ. Where Tolliver can separate himself from Bonner is in the basketball IQ department. Bonner is a more accomplished shooter, a better rebounder and has more time in the system. But Bonner's biggest flaw is his extremely low basketball IQ. He's a smart guy but it doesn't translate to the basketball court. Pop loses trust quickly in players who aren't savvy.

Tolliver in summer league appeared to have good basketball IQ but it's impossible to tell how it'll translate until he plays for Pop.

The Express-News has learned that deal will pay Thomas a total of $8 million — $4.2 million next season and $3.8 in 2009-10.
Good job getting the numbers, McDonald :tu

milkyway21
07-24-2008, 03:36 AM
But Bonner's biggest flaw is his extremely low basketball IQ. :oops

I wonder what will be Bonner's response to this? :lmao

ceperez
07-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Bonner is a more accomplished shooter, a better rebounder and has more time in the system. But Bonner's biggest flaw is his extremely low basketball IQ. He's a smart guy but it doesn't translate to the basketball court. Pop loses trust quickly in players who aren't savvy.

I would have to disagree with the shooting. Tolliver has much better form that makes it much more difficult to block. His shot can be taken with a man right in front of him. Bonner can only take his shot when he's open. He delivers his shot from the front so it's easily blocked.

I don't think Bonner has a low basketball IQ. I just think that he's just not quick enough to be disruptive on defense. His lack of quickness and shooting form makes his sort of stagnant on offense. He's got to have a set shot to have any chance of making it.

Bonner's plus is that he's wider and effectively can box out guys from the rebound (just like Oberto).

mrspurs
07-24-2008, 07:03 AM
i just left a thread like this..........

VaSpursFan
07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
I would have to disagree with the shooting. Tolliver has much better form that makes it much more difficult to block. His shot can be taken with a man right in front of him. Bonner can only take his shot when he's open. He delivers his shot from the front so it's easily blocked.

I don't think Bonner has a low basketball IQ. I just think that he's just not quick enough to be disruptive on defense. His lack of quickness and shooting form makes his sort of stagnant on offense. He's got to have a set shot to have any chance of making it.

Bonner's plus is that he's wider and effectively can box out guys from the rebound (just like Oberto).

+1 bonner has horrible form so he can only shoot a set shot. we've seen what happens when he tries to shoot off the dribble. tolliver has much better mechanics on his j.

nil.ball
07-24-2008, 12:22 PM
love these diminished value contracts.
way to go spurs

bdictjames
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
So what about this guy's defense?

ceperez
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
The sadest irony about this is that we signed Bonner to his massive contract prior to discovering the Scola was available. So when he was, we didn't have enough cap and chose to trade him to reduce the cap that Butler was occupying.

Butler of course was completely worthless for us. You can blame Pop who listened to Larry Brown on this.

Lessoned learned is that it doesn't matter how much talent you might have (see: Butler, DeMarr Johnson, James White), you've got to have the right attitude to be succesful. Hill and Tolliver certainly have what it takes. Mahinmi and Gist are still questionable in my book.

On the other hand, Bonner has the right attitude... but unfortunately doesn't have the talent.

oligarchy
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
The sadest irony about this is that we signed Bonner to his massive contract prior to discovering the Scola was available. So when he was, we didn't have enough cap and chose to trade him to reduce the cap that Butler was occupying.

Butler of course was completely worthless for us. You can blame Pop who listened to Larry Brown on this.

Lessoned learned is that it doesn't matter how much talent you might have (see: Butler, DeMarr Johnson, James White), you've got to have the right attitude to be succesful. Hill and Tolliver certainly have what it takes. Mahinmi and Gist are still questionable in my book.

On the other hand, Bonner has the right attitude... but unfortunately doesn't have the talent.

What? None of that made sense. The problem was they DIDN'T have talent. Bonner can hit the three, he is just dumb on the basketball court and makes the worst decisions. There's a reason he is on the bench.

Bonner's contract also isn't massive and had nothing AT ALL to do with Scola. It's only massive in comparison to what he does and his seat on the end of the bench.

T Park
07-24-2008, 06:01 PM
What? None of that made sense. The problem was they DIDN'T have talent. Bonner can hit the three, he is just dumb on the basketball court and makes the worst decisions. There's a reason he is on the bench.

Bonner's contract also isn't massive and had nothing AT ALL to do with Scola. It's only massive in comparison to what he does and his seat on the end of the bench.

Wha

wha

WTF facts regarding the Scola Bonner thing?

DAMN YOU!!!

phyzik
07-24-2008, 09:55 PM
I liked him in Summer league alot.... I hope his play (and shooting) continues at that level but Im still skeptical. As Mike Budenholzer said, there is no way he continues to shoot at that clip, but I would be giddy if he can keep his long range shooting above 40%

Was there ever anyone that kept going at better than a 50% clip from that range? There probably was but I cant think of anyone.

lurker23
07-24-2008, 11:07 PM
I liked him in Summer league alot.... I hope his play (and shooting) continues at that level but Im still skeptical. As Mike Budenholzer said, there is no way he continues to shoot at that clip, but I would be giddy if he can keep his long range shooting above 40%

Was there ever anyone that kept going at better than a 50% clip from that range? There probably was but I cant think of anyone.

NBA records:

Highest three-point field-goal percentage, career
(minimum 250 made)
.454-Steve Kerr

Highest three-point field-goal percentage, season (qualifiers)
.524-Steve Kerr, Chicago, 1994-95 (89/170)
.5224-Tim Legler, Washington, 1995-96 (128/245)

http://www.nba.com/history/records/regular_3ptfg.html

Buddy Holly
07-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I liked him in Summer league alot.... I hope his play (and shooting) continues at that level but Im still skeptical. As Mike Budenholzer said,

Who in the NBA has ever shoot the three ball at above 50%? He's being realistic. If he can give us 40 percent at the three, he's a solid addition.