PDA

View Full Version : Is this computer alright for gaming?

Shaolin_Style
07-24-2008, 03:38 AM
Vista Home Premium
6gb ram
Intel Core 2 Quad Cpu 2.66ghz
GeForce 8800 GT

Just curious if anyone can tell me if that would be okay for newer games such as Age of Conan/CoD4/Warhammer/Crysis ect I don't need to run them on high settings but I'd like to at least have a good fps on medium

bobbybob0
07-24-2008, 08:01 AM
That should be ok for gaming but you really don't need 6GB of RAM unless you're running Vista 64 bits edition.

Vista 32 can't handle more than 4GB of RAM (3.2GB actually).

Cry Havoc
07-24-2008, 08:59 AM
That will run most games at or near max detail, except for Crysis. Crysis would probably run on medium high, or high.

TDMVPDPOY
07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
That should be ok for gaming but you really don't need 6GB of RAM unless you're running Vista 64 bits edition.

Vista 32 can't handle more than 4GB of RAM (3.2GB actually).

only vista 64bit will recognize anything more than 4gb ram, as 32bit vista only recognizes 4gm max only....

there has been numerous discussions whether its best to buy a E6400 or Q6600....depending on what ur system is used for, you should choose wisely.

i was also in the process of building a new comp, with the same specs as yours, but with a ATI hd4870 VIDEO CARD :D

but if ima spend that amount on a new comp build, i might as well look at buying a laptop then....

MaNuMaNiAc
07-24-2008, 10:40 AM
GeForce 8800 is a bit outdated. Not that it's not a great card. Anyway, with that setup you can bet CoD4 won't give you any trouble, Age of Conan I've got no idea, Crysis on the other hand, like Havoc said, demands something along the lines of GeForce 8800 GTX at least in order to run on max graphics. That or two GTs on SLI

P.S. Wat to go overboard on the RAM :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
ati hd4870 are the cards these days ppl are jumpin on....

Cry Havoc
07-24-2008, 06:31 PM
GeForce 8800 is a bit outdated. Not that it's not a great card. Anyway, with that setup you can bet CoD4 won't give you any trouble, Age of Conan I've got no idea, Crysis on the other hand, like Havoc said, demands something along the lines of GeForce 8800 GTX at least in order to run on max graphics. That or two GTs on SLI

P.S. Wat to go overboard on the RAM :lol

Out-dated? It can run almost anything on the market at max.

E20
07-24-2008, 11:15 PM
My computer sucks. I couldn't run oblivion and I spent days downloading that shit. It seemed like such a good game. Any body played that game here? How long have you played it for? I like RPG's that take an immensly long time to finish, I like it when I get stuck in that world for a lengthy time and try to collect everything. I still haven't finished morrowind and it came to the point that I was like fuck it I give up.

Cry Havoc
07-25-2008, 01:08 AM
My computer sucks. I couldn't run oblivion and I spent days downloading that shit. It seemed like such a good game. Any body played that game here? How long have you played it for? I like RPG's that take an immensly long time to finish, I like it when I get stuck in that world for a lengthy time and try to collect everything. I still haven't finished morrowind and it came to the point that I was like fuck it I give up.

My first recommendation would be to actually go out and buy the software to support the company that made it, instead of pirating it. Games aren't music CDs, i.e., they actually cost a bit to make, and the developers take a hit on every pirated game that's out there. Developers regularly go under because it costs them so much more to make, and they don't have nearly the marketing power or the cashflow like the music industry does.

Oblivion dwarfs Morrowind in scope. If you gave up on it, there's little chance you'll want to play all the way through Oblivion.

baseline bum
07-25-2008, 02:01 AM
My first recommendation would be to actually go out and buy the software to support the company that made it, instead of pirating it. Games aren't music CDs, i.e., they actually cost a bit to make, and the developers take a hit on every pirated game that's out there. Developers regularly go under because it costs them so much more to make, and they don't have nearly the marketing power or the cashflow like the music industry does.

Oblivion dwarfs Morrowind in scope. If you gave up on it, there's little chance you'll want to play all the way through Oblivion.

No shit. An album can be made in a month. Games take 3-10 years to develop from scratch and cost millions. Oblivion had to take a minimum of 5. Developers can't go on tour to make up for the losses due to piracy like a musician either.

Oblivion took me about 150 hours to beat.

E20
07-25-2008, 02:13 AM
Well you can't really beat morrowind, just complete every quest and try to get every item, there is no set ending. I finished a number of quests had some good stats and items, but eventually the quests became really easy and sort of the same objectives so I was like this isn't getting anywhere. So I became a vampire and started fucking wiht people and eventually just became an outlaw. First mother fucker I kiled was Fargoth, bribed him like 3000 gold killed him then took it back and stripped him but naked.

So yeah the devleopers got the last laugh, I wasn't able to play it in teh 1st palce. Oh yeah I bought Morrowind if that makes you nerds happy.

Sense
07-25-2008, 02:14 AM
That's very good for gaming....
you will be pleased for some years

TDMVPDPOY
07-25-2008, 02:26 AM
i wonder whats the PSU requirement for that machine?

im thinkn of a sli setup with HD4870....500WATT PSU is it enough?

Brutalis
07-25-2008, 04:19 AM

Oblivion is a great RPG. I loved it. I spent probably a total of 2 months on that game. Morrowind was awesome as well.

I knew a cheat where you can create potion and just resell it over and over, had so much money it was impossible to run out. Beefed up and trained like a mofo, then owned the game easily. Then I went back and did it right... yeah, then got owned. Oblivion is just a bit better game.

Brutalis
07-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Okay wait we have an intruder.

Cry Havoc
07-25-2008, 09:20 AM
i wonder whats the PSU requirement for that machine?

im thinkn of a sli setup with HD4870....500WATT PSU is it enough?

I dunno.... I mean, I'm not sure that set up will run the original Half-Life. It might handle Quake 2, though.

Sense
07-25-2008, 04:53 PM
I dunno.... I mean, I'm not sure that set up will run the original Half-Life. It might handle Quake 2, though.

lol the specs the original poster said can get half-life easy..

it's way better than the reccommended specs.

if you have questions about running certain games you can try

www.canirunit.com

that's if you have that pc already...

it will tell you if you can or cannot play the game, sometimes they're wrong...

but they go strictly on stats

Cry Havoc
07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
lol the specs the original poster said can get half-life easy..

it's way better than the reccommended specs.

if you have questions about running certain games you can try

www.canirunit.com

that's if you have that pc already...

it will tell you if you can or cannot play the game, sometimes they're wrong...

but they go strictly on stats

I was being facetious. Considering Quake 2 is over a decade old, I hope it would run on a modern gaming PC.

The poster just wanted to show off his hardware. Obviously the latest vid card in SLI will run anything on the market, and he knows it.

Sense
07-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I was being facetious. Considering Quake 2 is over a decade old, I hope it would run on a modern gaming PC.

The poster just wanted to show off his hardware. Obviously the latest vid card in SLI will run anything on the market, and he knows it.

yeah... I guess I was kind of thinking that too.. but at the same time there are alot of people out there that buy all this shit they don't deserve and don't even know wtf it does... so, I guess I was kind of looking at it that way.

v2freak
07-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Holy crap, Quad core, 6 GB of RAM?? If you don't mind, what type of laptop are you using? (XPS, Asus G1 etc)

Fernando TD21
07-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Vista Home Premium
6gb ram
Intel Core 2 Quad Cpu 2.66ghz
GeForce 8800 GT

Just curious if anyone can tell me if that would be okay for newer games such as Age of Conan/CoD4/Warhammer/Crysis ect I don't need to run them on high settings but I'd like to at least have a good fps on medium
I got that processor and video card, but if I was going to build a new system for games, this is what I would get:
E8400
HD4870
4GB ram

Cry Havoc
07-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Holy crap, Quad core, 6 GB of RAM?? If you don't mind, what type of laptop are you using? (XPS, Asus G1 etc)

It's a desktop.