PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Tolliver Interview - Audio

timvp
07-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Anthony Tolliver Interview (http://podcast.bigsports590.com/Portals/55/Big%20Show%20Matt/7.23.08%20Hr%204%20Seg%202%20(Anthony%20Tolliver). mp3)

Damn good interview. Explains where his three-point shooting came from. Also explains why he thinks he can be better than Robert Horry :wow

P.S.

Oh and SpursTalk gets a shout out as well.

Streakyshooter08
07-24-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks. :tu

Bruno
07-24-2008, 05:27 AM
Thanks. :tu

ceperez
07-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Great find!

Looks like the Spurs have gotten lucky again!

I can buy Tolliver's explanation that he has always had the shot (he was shooting like 50% in high school!) but didn't have the opportunity to develop it since he had to play the post. Also liked to hear that he stopped shooting it flat footed and now shoots it as a jumpshot.

This guy is going to be deadly playing on the pick and roll with Manu and Parker.

He's also got the strength that makes it easy to extend his range further.

urunobili
07-24-2008, 07:46 AM
he's a lil too cocky...

Cant_Be_Faded
07-24-2008, 08:09 AM
He says, "Big up to the timvp, big up to the timvp i said."

MoSpur
07-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Very cool.

MoSpur
07-24-2008, 08:35 AM
The Spurs need someone with a little cockiness. I like that.

VaSpursFan
07-24-2008, 08:40 AM
good interview. i didn't sense cockiness from him, more like confidence and aspiring to be the best player he can be.

he's a keeper.

sa_butta
07-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Sounds like a nice pick up, I hope he brings the same confience for the games.

ducks
07-24-2008, 09:51 AM
he's a lil too cocky...

yeah
all players should have no confidence when they are playing

horry folks was a good role for the playoffs only
he was not a hall of famer

MavDynasty
07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Nice pickup for spurs

MagnusKrauss
07-24-2008, 10:22 AM
so, does Tolliver post here? any guesses as to what his nick here is? :D

GSH
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
He sounds like a good guy. I love it that the Spurs players are almost universally intelligent and articulate. He gave a good interview for a young guy.

I didn't think he sounded cocky at all. He said that his shot is falling because "the confidence is through the roof". I think you'd hear that from any shooter. He was also talking about the confidence that his coaches have shown in him, and the fact that it has helped him.

They asked him about being compared to Robert Horry. That's a tough question to field for an aspiring rookie, and I thought he handled that well too. He said that Horry was a Hall of Famer just for being a winner. And that hopefully that's something he will be able to earn respect for as well. That people would say, "He may not be the best athlete" or whatever, but he is a winner. If anything, I think he acknowledged that he isn't a freakish athlete in the ranks of the NBA. And I don't see anything wrong with aspiring to be a winner, or having high expectations. He wasn't making any guarantees, just saying "hopefully".

I think he is smart to have worked on extending his range. It may seem obvious, but a lot of bigger guys don't bother. He was able to laugh at himself for shooting flat-footed in college, and he recognized that won't work against NBA caliber defenders. And he acknowledged his coaches for giving him the opportunity to move out and shoot.

I think you would really have to work to find something to object to. If he can keep that confidence when he starts competing at the next level, and more importantly if he commits to Pop's defense, I think he will fit right in. Say a prayer, cross your fingers, whatever... if he can keep hitting 3's and stretch the defenses he could make a huge difference to this team.

Tully365
07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Great interview-- thanks for the post!

Has anyone read or heard anything about Tolliver's workout regiment? He looks so much leaner and more muscular now compared to his college pictures.

ceperez
07-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Mark my words, Tolliver will absolutely make the team!

The guy knows what's wrong with his game and willing to work hard to correct it. Everyone seems to say that he's a very intelligent player and has a good view of the court. A coaches dream!

I wouldn't even be surprised if he started some games in the season. The Spurs are best offensively when Duncan is surrounded by 3point shooters. I mean, a lineup with Duncan -C, Tolliver - PF, Bonner - SF, Ginobili - SG, Mason - PG is extremely deadly. The opposite lineup of hustle, stingy defense and lots of rebounding would be Thomas - C, Duncan -PF, Gist - SF, Bowen - SG, Hill - PG.

Mister Sinister
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
so, does Tolliver post here? any guesses as to what his nick here is? :D
>_> <_< >_> <_< >_>

your_pimp
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Who is Tolliver???

LOL

Another "no-name" player signed by the cheap Spurs who will never, never win another championship the rest of their lives.

Enjoy your scattered titles that nobody outside San Antonio Gives a shit of.

Mister Sinister
07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Who is Tolliver???

LOL

Another "no-name" player signed by the cheap Spurs who will never, never win another championship the rest of their lives.

I live in Chicago, which, last time I checked (and, admittedly, that *has* been a while), was outside of San Antonio.

koriwhat
07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Who is Tolliver???

LOL

we'll enjoy the titles the spurs have brought to san antonio... while you keep enjoying not a damn thing in regards to your precious pos team the suns.

lurker23
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Great find timvp, really appreciate it.

I was fairly hard on Tolliver in my RMR impressions, but I wish him nothing but the best. I still think he needs to work on his defense a bit if he's going to be a rotation player on this team, but I have no problem with the Spurs signing him and developing him if they see NBA-level talent in this guy. And as I said in a previous post, I like the idea of him going head-to-head with Matt Bonner in training camp. I'd expect Bonner to win out this time around, just because he's a little more polished, but if Tolliver wins, I look forward to seeing him get his chance in the big man rotation.

"The Spurs have won something like 4 championships in the last 7 years..."

Did Tolliver just guarantee a 2009 championship? :spin

wildbill2u
07-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Regarding his previous set of shooting mechancs, he apparently shot his 3s flat-footed and now is using an more familiar and standard jump shot.

I noticed that Bonner also shoots more of a flat-footed one-handed set shot, but hasn't developed a standard jumper.

Buddy Holly
07-24-2008, 04:11 PM
If you play that interview backwards there are several messages.

"Watch your ass Red Rocket"

"I hate redheads"

"I will make Bonner my bitch"

Brutalis
07-24-2008, 05:00 PM
He doesn't have that usual black slang. No offense or anything.