PDA

View Full Version : Petition: Let Finley Go!

ceperez
07-24-2008, 06:28 AM
I've had it! Now that we're letting Horry go, we might as well let Finley go too!

In 2008 there was probably 1 game in the playoffs where Horry played well. So his contributions are diminishing. Every time weplay him we're taking away opportunities for other players to make a contribution.

Though I'm going to admit, what has Finley done for us lately? I say that if we are letting go Horry, we might consider letting Finley go. I mean, Horry was at least active in defense (do you remember the big block on Shaq?). Finley? He was just standing there the entire playoffs eating up the time!

The best reason to ditch Finley is to give our rookies (Tolliver, Gist) more playing time to develop confidence and skills. Let's start investing in our young players. If they don't pan out, at least they would be tradeable!

Give me 1 good reason why we should keep Finley?

Tigole Bitties
07-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Surely, you can't have forgotten

AR6cntbtINA

Sissiborgo
07-24-2008, 07:11 AM
We should not let him go hes is a good player and we need him to come of the bench!

Anti.Hero
07-24-2008, 08:36 AM
signed signed signed signed signed

Makes big shots 10% of the time (thank you Finley), can create his own offense 20% of the time, gets on shooting sprees 20% of the time, plays defense 2% of the time.

Gets all those minutes. Get rid of him for fear that Pop will continue playing him too damn much.

hater
07-24-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't know. What are we replacing him with?? (gimme a break w/the rookies :rolleyes)

I think Finley stays. He is still a veteran that can come from the bench and make a clutch shot.

MavDynasty
07-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Hes clutch

honestfool84
07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
im sick of your 'petitions'.

what, you're gonna print it all out and send it to the FO?

give me a break - don't be a complete asshole.

finely did just fine these playoffs.

just cause he doesn't average 15ppg doesn't mean he shouldn't be signed.

all we need him to do is score about 6-9ppg, and with his leadership in the lockerroom, we're good to go.

urunobili
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
i support FINLEY staying with us

MavDynasty
07-24-2008, 09:24 AM

:tu

At least Pop got him the damn ring that cuban couldnt. Get him another one! :lol

Make cuban jealous

Findog
07-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Fine, we'll take him off your hands.

MavDynasty
07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Fine, we'll take him off your hands.

Terry will punch him in the nuts again

bus driver
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
signed signed signed signed signed

Makes big shots 10% of the time (thank you Finley), can create his own offense 20% of the time, gets on shooting sprees 20% of the time, plays defense 2% of the time.

Gets all those minutes. Get rid of him for fear that Pop will continue playing him too damn much.

so... 52% of the time he is doing good?
still works for me.

Indazone
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Wait..wasn't Finley the hero hitting key three pointers vs LA? Wasn't he the guy who was deadly with the Mav's and they tried to trade him East but he ended up with the Spurs? Isn't he the clutch player and deadly three point shooter that teams coveted 2 years ago? What happened?

PM5K
07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
I support letting Finley or Barry go, only one not both, and since Barry is already gone, well you get the point.

Even on his worst day and at his age, Finley is still many times better than any of our recent draft picks at his position.

WildcardManu
07-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I've had it! Now that we're letting Horry go, we might as well let Finley go too!

In 2008 there was probably 1 game in the playoffs where Horry played well. So his contributions are diminishing. Every time weplay him we're taking away opportunities for other players to make a contribution.

Though I'm going to admit, what has Finley done for us lately? I say that if we are letting go Horry, we might consider letting Finley go. I mean, Horry was at least active in defense (do you remember the big block on Shaq?). Finley? He was just standing there the entire playoffs eating up the time!

The best reason to ditch Finley is to give our rookies (Tolliver, Gist) more playing time to develop confidence and skills. Let's start investing in our young players. If they don't pan out, at least they would be tradeable!

Stupid thread i see started by you. Fin dog should stay for the veteran tutelage and leadership for the rookies.

wisnub
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Since we dump barry, we can keep him for vet min....we may need him,...or maybe not. Hell.lets keep him for old times sake!!!

koriwhat
07-24-2008, 02:30 PM
i like finley and always have... he's a great guy to have on our squad and i think for the vet min we should def pick him back up. i'm not all trusting in all our rookies like a lot of you here. i like veterans and what they bring to the table.

bigdog
07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
As much as a stiff he is on defense, he still has a good midrange jumper and his 3 is streaky, but still good. He's clutch as hell, and if Pop can just bring him off the bench in smaller minutes, I'm totally fine with bringing him back for the vet minimum.

v2freak
07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree. Problem has been that the Spurs are all-or-nothing; either too old or everyone on the roster can't shoot consistently etc. If Horry and Barry are gone, at least keep Finley

I. Hustle
07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
KEEP FIN DOG!! I love that gorilla

ceperez
07-24-2008, 03:30 PM
As much as a stiff he is on defense, he still has a good midrange jumper and his 3 is streaky, but still good. He's clutch as hell, and if Pop can just bring him off the bench in smaller minutes, I'm totally fine with bringing him back for the vet minimum.

Okay, okay. You got me convinced.

He should come back only on 2 conditions:

(1) The Vet Minimum salary.
(2) He comes off the bench and in smaller minutes( like maybe 10 minutes a game, 23 minutes a game in the playoffs was just ridiculous).

I'm just saying agreeing because:

(1) We don't have a lot of salary left to offer.
(2) Everyone else who's worthwhile has taken off to Europe.

It's just unfortunate that we didn't sign Barry with the salary that we have left. I guess were were waiting for Magette, but with Baron Davis opting out, it changed the rules entirely.

bigdog
07-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Okay, okay. You got me convinced.

He should come back only on 2 conditions:

(1) The Vet Minimum salary.
(2) He comes off the bench and in smaller minutes( like maybe 10 minutes a game, 23 minutes a game in the playoffs was just ridiculous).

I'm just saying agreeing because:

(1) We don't have a lot of salary left to offer.
(2) Everyone else who's worthwhile has taken off to Europe.

It's just unfortunate that we didn't sign Barry with the salary that we have left. I guess were were waiting for Magette, but with Baron Davis opting out, it changed the rules entirely.

Yeah. After the Maggette thing fell through and Barry signed in Houston, I kind of figured Finley would be back. I'm pretty much just waiting for an announcement.

In no way am I saying he's going to be huge for us, but when he's on one of his hot streaks, give him more minutes. When he's not so hot, limit his minutes. I think it should work out fine.

Findog
07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
The Mavs would be crazy not to sign Finley. With as many young, unproven pups they signed in the offseason, he'd be a great mentor-type. If that happened, they should make Gerald Green move in with him. We already have Suckhouse and the corpse of Eddie Jones, but since we ain't doing shit this year anyway, we should bring Finley home.

jack sommerset
07-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Maybe its not the Spurs decsion. Finley can go play for the min. anywhere. He came to the Spurs to win Rings. He has 1,maybe he thinks he has a better chance with another team to win another.

timaios
07-24-2008, 04:46 PM

:tu

I. Hustle
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
I say have him coach... midnight basketball

SPURSGOAT
07-24-2008, 04:58 PM
C'mon the guys need Finley to bring them towels and gatorade. :downspin:

Spurs Brazil
07-24-2008, 05:04 PM
I have no problem with Finley back as a 5th wing

Solid D
07-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Fin was the go-to 4 in small-ball scenarios. Who would replace him in Pop's Timmy and 4 smalls line-up?

T Park
07-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Is there a FA thats realisticly better than Finley?

Be honest with yourselves.

mavsfan1000
07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
So do I. :lol

T Park
07-24-2008, 05:59 PM
So do I. :lol

I support the Mavericks continueing their downward spiral.

WildcardManu
07-24-2008, 06:03 PM

I second that.

rj215
07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
First off I'll never understand why fans of teams that have never done anything (Mavs, Suns, Hornets etc) come to talk trash in a 4 time champs' forum.

Secondly, Fin was a great pickup when we got him but his defensive lapses and his inability to consistantly hit the outside shot have made him expendible. And despite all of this Pop will bring him back.

07-24-2008, 07:47 PM
the spurs will need clutch fourth quarter players. right now we don't know how clutch roger mason is during playoff time and the spurs just lost brent barry. as bad as finley was last season, he doesn't get rattled by pressure. he will take the shots needed to win the game. if the spurs are ever down by two or three during the last 30 or 40 seconds, i'd expect parker, mason, ginobili, finley, and duncan to be in the game.

during the regular season, i expect finely to get barry's minutes and mason to get finley's.

sprrs
07-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm all for keeping Finley if it means 10 minutes a game at the most. Since Pop has a man-crush on him, if he stays he'll probably start.

outmap
07-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Finley will be a Spur.
He will probably have limited minutes (around 12-15) but he will still probably start, which is a good thing. You can tell if Fin is going to have a good night by watching him in the first 3-6 minutes of the game, bench him if he's throwing bricks then just sub him back on clutch time if needed.

BOHOLANO#21
07-24-2008, 08:28 PM

anymore petition in your mind? after the petition to sign gist now to let go of finley, what's next?:rolleyes

wisnub
07-24-2008, 08:38 PM

:lmao

mystargtr34
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Do we have any other options... who do you suppose we sign? Hes fine as the 5th wing.

MarHill
07-24-2008, 09:07 PM
i like finley and always have... he's a great guy to have on our squad and i think for the vet min we should def pick him back up. i'm not all trusting in all our rookies like a lot of you here. i like veterans and what they bring to the table.

I agree with you koriwhat.

I'm pro-Finley and he has made some big shots since he became a Spur 3 years ago.

1) Game 1 of Spurs-Suns '08 1st Round Playoff Series

2) Spurs-Knicks '08 regular season game at MSG (The Spurs had no business winning that game!!!!!)

3) Game 5 of the Spurs-Nuggets '07 1st Round Playoff Series

4) Spurs-Lakers '07 regular season game at Staples Center

These are some of the games..where he hit big shots at key moments in the game.

Plus, he's a solid team guy and will accept his role.

AFBlue
07-24-2008, 09:08 PM
The good thing about Finley is that he already knows the system and isn't being heavily courted by other teams...

That means the Spurs can take their time and evaluate the other talent on the roster.

If they perceive Mason, Hill, Gist, and possibly Hairston as able to step up and fill the open roles for this team...then they probably just leave the roster spot open and look to the D-league in case of injury.

If more than one of them struggles in training camp, I can see Finley getting the call to come back for one more season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2008, 09:23 PM
The only way I'd like to see Finley back is if he was still counting 20 mil a year against the Mavs' salary cap.

ceperez
07-24-2008, 09:33 PM
I agree with you koriwhat.

I'm pro-Finley and he has made some big shots since he became a Spur 3 years ago.

1) Game 1 of Spurs-Suns '08 1st Round Playoff Series

2) Spurs-Knicks '08 regular season game at MSG (The Spurs had no business winning that game!!!!!)

3) Game 5 of the Spurs-Nuggets '07 1st Round Playoff Series

4) Spurs-Lakers '07 regular season game at Staples Center

These are some of the games..where he hit big shots at key moments in the game.

Plus, he's a solid team guy and will accept his role.

Hey, I'm not arguing that he hasn't delivered in past seasons. I'm arguing that today at his present condition, he's ineffective.

Ask yourself one simple question:

"Do you recall a *playoff* game last season where Finley drove the basket instead of taking a jumpshot?"

He used to be do this with regularity, now he never does it. Why?

DROB4EVER
07-24-2008, 09:41 PM
If we cant get someone better bring him back let him play spot duty. If hes hot keep him going if he comes out and misses his first few shots then pull him and try again another game. Not a bad 10th man.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
The good thing about Finley is that he already knows the system and isn't being heavily courted by other teams...

Because he sucks.