PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis signs w/ Warriors for $67 million

ducks
07-25-2008, 12:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3504378
time to offer rc for s jackson

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 12:29 AM
How the hell do the Warriors have so much money?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-25-2008, 12:29 AM
thats what i call a RAISE! :lol

Goes from $770k to $11mil a season :lol

anakha
07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Not a bad deal, considering what Maggette's getting.

E20
07-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Overpaid........IMO

hater
07-25-2008, 12:45 AM
makes you appreciate Tim, Manu, Tony. their loyalty

JamStone
07-25-2008, 12:49 AM
makes you appreciate Tim, Manu, Tony. their loyalty

Tim's loyalty? He got a max contract. He didn't have to show any loyalty.

timvp
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Tim's loyalty? He got a max contract.

:reading

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Didn't Tim take less towards the end of his contract to sign better people?

JamStone
07-25-2008, 12:51 AM
How the hell do the Warriors have so much money?

Bird rights for Ellis. He's played three years with Golden State, hard to believe.

And, they traded those two white guys for more reasonable contracts a while back.

Hey, they got the cap space and they're using it.

I think Ellis won't be nearly as good without Baron though. We'll have to wait and see. I could see a $8-9 million a year contract considering the numbers he put up were in a crazy open system with no structure. $11 million a year is pushing it but then again, there have been lesser players who got more.

JamStone
07-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Didn't Tim take less towards the end of his contract to sign better people?

After making over $150 million, he's taking a couple million less for 1-2 seasons that will still pay him a contract that makes him a top 8 paid player in the league. Oh the philanthropy!

honestfool84
07-25-2008, 12:53 AM

correct me if im wrong, but duncan took $11 million less than he could have gotten.

Spurtacus
07-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Overpaid........IMO

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 12:54 AM
After making over $150 million, he's taking a couple million less for 1-2 seasons that will still pay him a contract that makes him a top 8 paid player in the league. Oh the philanthropy!

Don't the Pistons wish they had a player worth $150 million?

JamStone
07-25-2008, 12:56 AM
correct me if im wrong, but duncan took $11 million less than he could have gotten.

For which contract extension?

Again, when you've made over $150 million in your career and still get another contract that will average close to $20 million a year, makes the decision a little easier, doesn't it?

If you're talking about a player taking $11 million less and getting paid $2 million a year, that might be something.

JamStone
07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Don't the Pistons wish they had a player worth $150 million?

Sure. And?

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Sure. And?

And that's the reason they can't get past the ECF.

JamStone
07-25-2008, 12:59 AM
And that's the reason they can't get past the ECF.

Ok. That has relevance to Tim showing loyalty how?

knee-knee-3
07-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Ok. That has relevance to Tim showing loyalty how?

So what exactly does Tim's self-imposed paycut mean to you?

wijayas
07-25-2008, 01:14 AM
If you're talking about a player taking $11 million less and getting paid $2 million a year, that might be something.

You either talk straight out of your ass or you don't pass your grade one math.

hater
07-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Jamstone is one pathetic drunk mofo

hater
07-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Duncan will take less than maximum salary

By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports
October 29, 2007

WATCH VIDEO: Which teams can knock off the defending champs this season? (Getty)

With NBA commissioner David Stern set to present Tim Duncan his fourth championship ring on Tuesday, the San Antonio Spurs forward has made it clear he has no plans to leave the court – or San Antonio – anytime soon.

Duncan has reached agreement with the Spurs on a two-year, $40 million extension that figures to give the team enough salary-cap flexibility to continue to surround him with a competitive support cast in the waning seasons of his career, two sources with knowledge of the deal said Monday.

By signing the extension, which is expected to be finalized within the next few days, Duncan forfeits his option to become a free agent after this season. He will be under contract with the Spurs until the summer of 2012.

The extension doesn't come as a surprise. Duncan, 31, said prior to last season's NBA Finals he felt as healthy as he has been in years and hoped to continue playing "as long as I can."

But what is notable about the deal are the terms: Although Duncan is eligible to receive a two-year extension worth about $51 million under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, he agreed to nearly $11 million less because it could afford the Spurs greater flexibility to pursue free agents after the 2009-10 season.

Duncan and his agent, Lon Babby, met with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford at Popovich's house prior to the start of training camp. Well aware of Duncan's value to the franchise – the Spurs likely would not be in San Antonio had he not guided them to their first title in 1999 – Popovich and Buford presented him with a maximum offer during the meeting. But they also made a detailed presentation of their plans for the team's long-term future and showed Duncan the possible impact of his accepting a lesser extension.

After a few weeks of deliberation, Duncan agreed to the $40 million extension. He will make $22.2 million in the final year of his current contract, with his salary dropping to about $18.7 million in the first year of the extension.

Duncan will be 34 when the extension begins. Tony Parker is the only other player currently scheduled to be under contract following the 2009-10 season, but the Spurs also will be in position to re-sign their third star, Manu Ginobili, that summer if they want.

JamStone
07-25-2008, 01:21 AM
So what exactly does Tim's self-imposed paycut mean to you?

Means he made a shitload of money already and is still being paid a shitload of money more. The guy isn't taking the MLE. His "paycut" is going from about $23 million to about $19 million for one year and then from about $25 million to about $21 million the next year, at an age when players starting making much less money anyway.

It's like a CEO for a fortune 500 company who is worth about $50 million and makes approximately $4 million a year decides to help in the time of recession and for two years he takes a salary of $3 million the last two years before he retires. Is he making a good faith gesture to the company? Sure. Does it prove he's a man beyond reproach and one of unmatched honor and selfless loyalty? Hardly.

I'm not saying Tim isn't worth every penny he makes by NBA salaries standards. He deserves to be right up there near the top of top paid NBA players.

I just don't want to hear how he's there aren't NBA players like Tim in terms of his loyalty. He got a huge 7 year max deal in 2000 and his extension still makes him among the highest paid players in the league. It's not a show of loyalty.

JamStone
07-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Tim Duncan's upcoming salaries:

2008-09: $20,598,703 (8th highest paid player in the league next year)
2009-10: $22,183,218 (as of current salaries on the books, 4th highest paid that season)
2010-11: $18,700,000 (this is the "paycut" year where he would still be among the top 12 highest paid players in the league)
2011-12: $21,300,000 (another "paycut" year which is still a max type salary)

JamStone
07-25-2008, 01:29 AM
You either talk straight out of your ass or you don't pass your grade one math.

You didn't get what I wrote.

Ice009
07-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Fuck it how can we grab Stephen Jackson from the Warriors??? They're overloading that position in Goldenstate. Someone call up Mullin and tell him they need bigs who can shoot and rebound. Matt Bonner is one of those bigs.

nkdlunch
07-25-2008, 01:31 AM

this is what u wrote genius :rolleyes

fact is Duncan took a pay cut to make Spurs better. nothing u can do to deny that. So we Spur fans do value that. nothing u can do to change that. :idiot

knee-knee-3
07-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Means he made a shitload of money already and is still being paid a shitload of money more. The guy isn't taking the MLE. His "paycut" is going from about $23 million to about $19 million for one year and then from about $25 million to about $21 million the next year, at an age when players starting making much less money anyway.

It's like a CEO for a fortune 500 company who is worth about $50 million and makes approximately $4 million a year decides to help in the time of recession and for two years he takes a salary of $3 million the last two years before he retires. Is he making a good faith gesture to the company? Sure. Does it prove he's a man beyond reproach and one of unmatched honor and selfless loyalty? Hardly.
I'm not saying Tim isn't worth every penny he makes by NBA salaries standards. He deserves to be right up there near the top of top paid NBA players.

I just don't want to hear how he's there aren't NBA players like Tim in terms of his loyalty. He got a huge 7 year max deal in 2000 and his extension still makes him among the highest paid players in the league. It's not a show of loyalty.

:tu I agree. But what players in his position have done the same (I'm not being sarcastic, I just wanna know)?

wisnub
07-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Jamstone is one pathetic drunk mofo

I got nothin to say.... peace

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-25-2008, 01:41 AM
:tu I agree. But what players in his position have done the same (I'm not being sarcastic, I just wanna know)?

hell even Arenas took a paycut.......its not that noble.

JamStone
07-25-2008, 01:43 AM

At making that much money and still could have gotten more?

Kevin Garnett and Shaquille O'Neal of recent years.

Shaq was set to make $30 million a year--and wanted to make at least $25 million a year--when he re-upped with Miami for $20 million a year. However, he only wanted to play four more years. So, Miami spread out what would have been a $100 million contract over 4 years into a a $100 million over 5 years. Rumors were that the fifth year was just to allow Shaq to get that $100 million number and he wouldn't play that fifth year. Technically, it wasn't a paycut except subsequently when he was traded to Phoenix, he assured the Suns and the fans that he would play out his contract.

KG restructured his contract in Minnesota when it was still allowed under the CBA at the time. And, his last extension, he also took a big paycut as well. From raw numbers, it looks like he'll be taking about a $30 million paycut over three years of that extension.

knee-knee-3

And so did Baron Davis, come to think of it...

lrrr
The amount of money TD does or doesn't make is unrelated to his "loyalty" to the team.

His loyalty can be seen in his action on and off the court and his willingness to do WHATEVER is best for the team and to win. He is the most accomplished player in the NBA today bar none, yet sacrifices his ego for the sake of the team. He's never said anything negative about the team, coach or team mates. How many "superstars" can say they have done the same?

JamStone
07-25-2008, 01:46 AM
The amount of money TD does or doesn't make is unrelated to his "loyalty" to the team.

His loyalty can be seen in his action on and off the court and his willingness to do WHATEVER is best for the team and to win. He is the most accomplished player in the NBA today bar none, yet sacrifices his ego for the sake of the team. He's never said anything negative about the team, coach or team mates. How many "superstars" can say they have done the same?

Agree with that. But there are plenty of fans that use Tim's "paycut" as a measure and display of his loyalty and how he is on another level of selflessness and honor than other NBA players. That's what irrrks me.

knee-knee-3
07-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Agree with that. But there are plenty of fans that use Tim's "paycut" as a measure and display of his loyalty and how he is on another level of selflessness and honor than other NBA players. That's what irrrks me.

So after his paycut and display of loyalty, where does he stand?

JamStone
07-25-2008, 02:03 AM
So after his paycut and display of loyalty, where does he stand?

I think Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward to ever play the game, and from what I've read about him and seen, he appears to be a great person as well. None of that has anything to do with his "paycut."

I have nothing but respect for Tim Duncan, his game, and the little I know of him as a person.

What gets me is when some Spurs fans deify Tim Duncan to the point where everything about him is another step to sainthood. I understand being a fan, but there is a limit.

By the end of his current contract, Tim Duncan will have made well over $200 million in his career. This $11 million paycut people want to laud and applaud still nets Duncan $40 million over 2 years. But, many times this summer I've read Spurs fans talk about how this so-and-so NBA player is all about getting paid or that such-and-such NBA player has no loyalty or honor, "not like Tim Duncan or Bruce Bowen..." It just gets me every time. Tim Duncan is one of the most well paid athletes in the world, forget just the NBA. His little "paycut" gesture is nice and all, but it simply doesn't make him a loyal angel that no other NBA player can match.

Where does Tim Duncan stand after his paycut and display of loyalty? Where he's always stood. It doesn't change. Legendary player. From all indications, great person. To me, the paycut doesn't change it either way for the better or for the worse. Let me make $200 million, and I'll give back some too.

knee-knee-3
07-25-2008, 02:33 AM
:tu
I think Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward to ever play the game, and from what I've read about him and seen, he appears to be a great person as well. None of that has anything to do with his "paycut."

I have nothing but respect for Tim Duncan, his game, and the little I know of him as a person.

What gets me is when some Spurs fans deify Tim Duncan to the point where everything about him is another step to sainthood. I understand being a fan, but there is a limit.

By the end of his current contract, Tim Duncan will have made well over $200 million in his career. This $11 million paycut people want to laud and applaud still nets Duncan $40 million over 2 years. But, many times this summer I've read Spurs fans talk about how this so-and-so NBA player is all about getting paid or that such-and-such NBA player has no loyalty or honor, "not like Tim Duncan or Bruce Bowen..." It just gets me every time. Tim Duncan is one of the most well paid athletes in the world, forget just the NBA. His little "paycut" gesture is nice and all, but it simply doesn't make him a loyal angel that no other NBA player can match.

Where does Tim Duncan stand after his paycut and display of loyalty? Where he's always stood. It doesn't change. Legendary player. From all indications, great person. To me, the paycut doesn't change it either way for the better or for the worse. Let me make $200 million, and I'll give back some too.

Would you think worse of him if he didn't relinquish any of his salary?

JamStone
07-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Nope.

Booharv
07-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Jamstone is fired up about this thread.

mystargtr34
07-25-2008, 03:51 AM

Arenas took $11 million less over 6 years.

Duncan took $11 million less over two years.

Big difference.

And did you notice the way such a big deal was made out of his, and the way he talked it up.

Anyway, i agree with JamStone to a point, Duncan shows his loyalty more so on the court but what he did with his contract should be commended. Doesnt have to have his dick sucked by all of San Antonio, but it should be commended.

Brutalis
07-25-2008, 03:56 AM
Dude took a large pay cut. Get over it. By the time Duncan is in his 3rd year making that 20 mil you know LeBron and probably Wade will be getting 30. You wanna preach and bitch all you want but the fact remains even better than Shaq, he took a large pay cut. Another squad would have dealt 30. Geeeeet overrrr eeeeeet.

Brutalis
07-25-2008, 03:59 AM
His little "paycut" gesture is nice and all, but it simply doesn't make him a loyal angel that no other NBA player can match.

Actually, it does. No other player would do that. Nor has done that. Or will ever do that.

Never knew 11 mil was little either.

nil.ball
07-25-2008, 04:46 AM
damn, mr. duncan.

angelbelow
07-25-2008, 04:58 AM
fair.

jag
07-25-2008, 05:09 AM
I have to agree with Jamstone. The paycut was a nice move on his part, but Arenas did a similar thing in Washington and it really wasn't that impressive. I honestly think a lot of players in his position (with similar pay) would give up the money for the opportunity to win.

1Parker1
07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
That's a lot of money for Monta Ellis. Then again, it's pretty obvious that GS is building around Ellis now with Baron gone.

I see him struggling next season as he'll have to transition from not only being more of a SG to a full time PG.

mrspurs
07-25-2008, 06:20 AM
this is why golden state sucks year in and year out(besides the fact their coach teaches no defense)..........monta ellis=roger mason..imo.........except mason is alot cheaper......some teams are such suckers

anakha
07-25-2008, 06:39 AM
monta ellis=roger mason

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=EllisMo01

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=MasonRo01

Not quite.

rj215
07-25-2008, 07:01 AM
I think the differences in Ellis' and Arenas' situation compared to Duncan's are these: Duncan won a title which neither has done. Duncan plays on both ends of the floor which the other two don't do. And Duncan is the unquestioned leader of the team on the floor. So when the leader of your team, who plays defense and who has won a championship takes a 'pay cut' I think it means more.

1Parker1
07-25-2008, 07:14 AM
this is why golden state sucks year in and year out(besides the fact their coach teaches no defense)..........monta ellis=roger mason..imo.........except mason is alot cheaper......some teams are such suckers

:lmao @ comparing Monta Ellis to Roger Mason.

Monta Ellis is a really, really great offensive player. He shoots a high % and can give you 30-40 points in a game. Plus he's very, very fast and can get to the rim as well as anybody in the league. I'm not sure how many times Roger Mason has done that....

MarHill
07-25-2008, 07:51 AM

Thank you JamStone!!

There are reasonable Spurs fans.....who understand what you are writing.

I'm a big Tim Duncan fan and I agree with your posts.

It was a nice gesture....but also a business decision to take less than the max contract for his extension. He understands the big picture for the Spurs and for him (3-4 years) playing. Probably the last years of his career.

He has been paid (among the tops in the league) for several years. And true..it wasn't like he reduced his contract to get the MLE.

That would be something to write about!!!:lol

It's much easier to be generous when you have 4 rings and been paid the max contract for several years.

But, don't take an act of generosity and make him a saint for it.