PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind -> Oblivion -> ???

Brutalis
07-25-2008, 04:28 AM
What's next for The Elder Scrolls? Seeing it talked about in the other thread got me curious. I played MW for about 2 months solid and it became repetitive. Oblivion IMO was better but didn't play it as long. I imagine they had already been working on OB when MW came out?

Those will always be my favorite games. I can't explain but you get lost in that world. You can see how the developers worked out every little thing and you find just a few glitches from time to time but the whole mystic world thing just sometimes leaves me feeling weird as fuck when I go somewhere after playing it.

Anti.Hero
07-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Better fighting. Download Mount and Blade to see what a sword and shield type game could be like. Nothing really wrong with Oblivion as is, but there is always room for improvement.

Oblivion is good, it is GREAT with PC mods. Never played MW. All single players get boring though.

The only next step are MMOs. Not the weak ones like WOW. More like old-school Ultima Online or Darkfall Online.

bobbybob0
07-25-2008, 06:46 AM
The only next step are MMOs. Not the weak ones like WOW. More like old-school Ultima Online or Darkfall Online.

QFT.

The logical evolution for Bethseda would be to produce an MMO based on Elder Scrolls background.

Oblivion was really nice but too damn empty in the open world.

I'm not a big fan of cave dungeons.

Brutalis
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
? what

Shaolin-Style
07-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Well if you look at the map of Elder Scrolls there are PLENTY of places to go next that haven't been opened. Tirodell or whatever the hell it was called was only next to Morrowind. There were tons more countries around those.

I hope they go further north and base a chapter on the Nords.

Anti.Hero
10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Got a new monitor a couple months ago and I think I will reinstall Oblivion for kicks.

I did a quick search for new mods since I last played (a year or so ago) and I see this Deadly Reflexes mod. It looks pretty badass.

Hopefully I can go mod crazy without turning my game into a clusterf%#$

Slydragon
10-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Did you download all the expansions? My brother played the crap out of those games and is now waiting for Fable 2, I don't know if that game interest you.

IronMexican
10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Bethesda just got done with Fallout3, so I imagine their next Elder Scrolls is in the works.
I can't wait for it. Bethesda never let's me down.

Xolotl
10-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Zenimax, a sister company of Bethesda was in Austin last month recruiting developers. And, with Fallout 3 coming out real soon I think E3 09 there will be a formal announcement. Especially since E3 just announced they're going to expand to make it relevant again.

So, if there is an announcement at E3, and they follow a similar timeline for Oblivion, then TE5 will be released in 2011 or 12. Since Oblivion was announced and had 2 years of build time.

One more thing to take into account is that's also cutting close into the next gen console territory. The next Xbox has already been speculated to be released about 2011. So you might be waiting until 2012 or 13 at the latest.

Xolotl
11-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey Brutalis I know that the news is over a week old, but I was unsure if you were aware of it.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171013

Fallout 3 may have crawled out of the Vault just yesterday, but that doesn't mean it's too soon to start getting hyped about Bethesda's next big game. Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, Bethesda publishing executive Paul Oughton discussed how his company's plans for the future might include another Elder Scrolls game, but don't expect it to turn up on a Nintendo platform.

"At the moment we've got Fallout 3 for this year and potentially there's a new Elder Scrolls title in 2010," revealed Oughton. As one of the earliest critical and retail successes this generation, the possibility for a follow-up to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has always been a question of when rather than if. It's nice to know that "when" could be surprisingly soon.

Whenever the next Elder Scrolls gets here, you probably shouldn't count on it being on the Wii. "At the moment we're not that interested in the Wii," Oughton confessed to GamesIndustry.biz, continuing, "We're going to stick to PS3, Xbox 360 and PC." While he goes on to acknowledge the tremendous success of the Wii and DS, the Bethesda exec believes that the market for the kind of games that do well on those platforms is getting overcrowded. "Nintendo brought new products in with vast amounts of marketing money to launch these into the minds of the consumer and made a market for them. Every other publisher then very quickly developed DS and Wii products and we're getting to saturation now."

Only time will tell if Oughton's sentiments hold any truth, but for the time being we can just bask in the knowledge that a new Elder Scrolls is almost certainly on the way. Combined with the potential sequel to Fallout 3 that Bethesda's already begun hinting at, there should be plenty of Bethesda RPGs to go around in the years to come.