PDA

View Full Version : **Official** 2008 Houston Texans Season Thread

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5907153.html

Texans draft choice Duane Brown agrees to 5-year deal

After an all-night negotiating session, the Texans have avoided the second official holdout in franchise history.

Left tackle Duane Brown, the first-round draft choice, agreed to a five-year, $11.5 million contract early today. If he signs in time to make the morning practice, Brown won't be an official holdout.

Defensive tackle Travis Johnson missed a day in 2005 when he was the first pick to become the team's only holdout. General manager Rick Smith and agents Ken Landphere and Andy Ross negotiated through the night to get the deal done so Brown, who played at Virginia Tech, in training camp on time.

As soon as he arrived in Houston, Brown, the 26th pick in the first round, was inserted into the starting left tackle job ahead of veteran Ephraim Salaam.

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 08:52 AM
I was kind of worried this guy was going to hold out, signed just in time for the workouts.

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=4414

Texans make roster moves

The Texans announced Tuesday that they have signed their two third-round draft picks, cornerback Antwaun Molden and running back Steve Slaton, and fifth-round defensive tackle Frank Okam.

Molden (6-1, 198) was the 79th selection in the 2008 NFL Draft from Eastern Kentucky. He was the fifth non-Division 1A player drafted by the Texans and the second in as many years. Houston picked wide receiver Jacoby Jones out of Division II Lane College in the third round in 2007.

During OTAs, Molden impressed coached with his speed and instincts off the ball. He could see immediate playing time at the beginning of the season as starter Dunta Robinson works to come back from knee and hamstring surgeries.

Molden started his college career at Toledo before transferring to Eastern Kentucky in 2005. The cornerback totaled 155 tackles (94 solos) and 4.5 stops for losses of eight yards. He also intercepted three passes and recovered three fumbles. As a senior in 2007, Molden finished fifth on the team with a career-high 72 tackles (43 solos), 2.5 tackles for loss, nine passes defensed, a fumble recovery and two interceptions.

"One of the things I take pride in is being able to stop the run. But this league is about getting to the quarterback, so I want to help Mario (Williams) and Amobi (Okoye) take on blockers so they can have their one-on-one’s." - Frank Okam
Slaton (5-9, 197) was the 89th selection in the draft and was the second-highest drafted running back in the team’s draft history. The only back Houston drafted higher than Slaton was Vernand Morency, who was the 73rd overall pick in 2005.

Slaton left West Virginia after his junior season but still ranks third in the school’s history with 3,923 rushing yards. He holds the Mountaineer record for career rushing touchdowns with 50 and he set the school single-season rushing record with 1,774 yards in 2006.

Slaton was the second of two players selected by the Texans in the third round of the draft and will take a lot of repetitions as a third-down back during training camp.

“I want to come in and be a jack of all trades,” Slaton said. "Whatever I can do to help the team out, I’m there to do it.

“The offense here is on the rise and I’m happy to be a part of it. Hopefully, I can contribute a lot. The zone scheme they have here is similar to what I ran in college, so this should be a good transition for me.”

Okam (6-5, 320) was selected 151st in the draft from the University of Texas and is the third Longhorn the Texans have taken in the draft. He joins guard Kasey Studdard, who was taken in the sixth-round of the 2007 draft, and wide receiver Sloan Thomas in 2004.

Okam started 39 games while in Austin. He made 160 tackles (81 solos), 10 sacks and 28 stops for losses of 109 yards. The defensive tackle also posted 46 quarterback pressures and gained 13 yards with a touchdown on five fumble recoveries.

As a senior, Okam was selected as first-team All-Big 12 by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and garnered second-team honors from the Associated Press, Austin American-Statesman and Big 12 coaches. He started all 13 games at defensive tackle, helping the team rank sixth in the nation in rush defense (93.38 ypg). He recorded a career-high 52 tackles (25 solos) with five sacks for minus-50 yards.

“It’s a life dream that has become a reality, but I’m ready to focus on the task at hand, which is training camp,” Okam said.

“My biggest asset is my size, being 6-5 and over 300 pounds. One of the things I take pride in is being able to stop the run. But this league is about getting to the quarterback, so I want to help Mario (Williams) and Amobi (Okoye) take on blockers so they can have their one-on-one’s. I just want to help the defensive line and make this team a better team.”

To make room on the roster, the Texans have released fullback Jon Abbate, defensive tackle Eric Powell and guard/tackle Charles Spencer, who has battled a serious leg injury since 2006.

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Hopefully Molden turns out to be a decent DB.

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Hopefully Molden turns out to be a decent DB.

Yeah I agree because im afraid that Dunta will never be the same after his injury. I hope im wrong but knee injury is bad.

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 01:42 PM
He will never be the same. His thigh muscle was ripped completely off the bone or some shit like that. It sucks because he had potential to be a top tier CB.

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM
At least Fred Bennett emerged as a solid CB. I'm interested to see how he does in his second season.

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 01:54 PM
He will never be the same. His thigh muscle was ripped completely off the bone or some shit like that. It sucks because he had potential to be a top tier CB.

Yes I agree but his height limited him but he was smart and very aggressive. He will still be good I just hope they dont rush him.

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
At least Fred Bennett emerged as a solid CB. I'm interested to see how he does in his second season.

Yeah I was impressed by him, so hopefully he kicks ass and and our rookie does well. If that happens we wont have to count on Jacques Reeves. Where did dallas have him on def? Was he the 2nd db? I wont mind using him in a Nickel or Dime Package but not on single coverage.

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
He will probably be the #1 CB, which sucks because Reeves is shit. Bennett will be the #2 and hopefully Molden can be our nickleback. This will leave that piece of shit Faggins to Dime coverage only.

Hopefully our D-Line can get enough pressure on the QB and that will help the secondary out a lot. If not they are screwed.

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
He will probably be the #1 CB, which sucks because Reeves is shit. Bennett will be the #2 and hopefully Molden can be our nickleback. This will leave that piece of shit Faggins to Dime coverage only.

Hopefully our D-Line can get enough pressure on the QB and that will help the secondary out a lot. If not they are screwed.

Yeah because our safeties are crap too!!

midgetonadonkey
07-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Brown the big focus as Texans open camp
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/brown_the_big_focus_as_texans.html

Through the first half of the Texans' morning practice, most of the attention centered on rookie left tackle Duane Brown. And he wasn't even there.

While his teammates practiced, general manager Rick Smith and director of football administration Chris Olsen negotiated with his agents. Brown waited patiently for them to work out the language in the five-year deal he agreed on at 6:15 a.m. With 40 minutes left in the first of two practices Thursday, Brown was carted to the field. Then he jogged the rest of the way to his position drill with the offensive linemen.

Brown, the first-round pick who is ticketed to start at left tackle, signed a $9.1 million contract that could pay him as much as $11.5 million if he reaches his incentives. It includes $6.2 million in guaranteed money. The coaches expect him to earn every penny.

From the time the Texans drafted Brown, the coaches expected him to be the starter ahead of veteran Ephraim Salaam. When he arrived at practice, Brown did the same thing he did through most of the minicamp and organized team activities — went against defensive end Mario Williams.

It's going to be fun watching Brown compete against Williams every day in camp. Their one-on-one battles should make Brown better. How much better remains to be seen.

• • •

Running back Chris Brown, who signed as a free agent after playing five years at Tennessee, wasn't on the practice field Thursday. He had an unexcused absence, meaning he'll probably be fined. Brown elected to attend a family wedding.

Brown's absence gave more repetitions to veterans Ahman Green, Chris Taylor and Darius Walker as well as to rookie Steve Slaton. Running back is one of the most competitive positions on the team. Because Green, Brown and Taylor are coming off seasons in which they suffered injuries, the competititon is wide open and could end up with the Texans keeping four of them rather than the usual three.

• • •

Receiver Andre Johnson showed his teammates and coaches that he is, indeed, 100 percent recovered from the arthroscopic knee surgery he underwent after the May minicamp.

Johnson, who had been running routes for quarterback Matt Schaub before camp, got behind defensive backs C.C. Brown, Will Demps and Fred Bennett to make a magnificent catch on a long pass down the sideline. Schaub's pass was perfectly thrown. Watching that play made me wonder how good they can be if both are healthy this season.

Trainwreck2100
07-27-2008, 11:45 PM
the quest for .500

midgetonadonkey
07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
the quest for .500

That quest was accomplished last year. The quest for 1+ .500 is what you probably meant.

Trainwreck2100
07-28-2008, 12:23 AM
That quest was accomplished last year. The quest for 1+ .500 is what you probably meant.

It's tough to repeat such a feet of skill.

J.T.
07-28-2008, 03:36 AM
More like, the quest to finish higher than last place in the division, am I right?

samikeyp
07-28-2008, 05:12 AM
I would like to see Okam do well.

peewee's lovechild
07-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm looking for Darius Walker to make some noise.

I'm a Notre Dame homer, what can I say?

peewee's lovechild
07-28-2008, 08:52 AM

If they don't get 10 wins this season, they never will.

midgetonadonkey
07-28-2008, 11:01 AM
More like, the quest to finish higher than last place in the division, am I right?

I have no doubt they will be 3rd in their division.

midgetonadonkey
07-28-2008, 11:02 AM
If they don't get 10 wins this season, they never will.

They would've had 10 wins last season if they stayed healthy. But if they don't get to 10 wins this season will be a huge disappointment.

midgetonadonkey
07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Texans practice notes and observations July 28, 2008 1:57 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
AP Photo/David J. Phillip
Ahman Green (30) runs during a training camp workout Saturday.

HOUSTON -- I watched the Texans practice in pads this morning with the intention of answering the most popular question I've fielded from Houston fans: How do the running backs and the running game look?

I'll go chronologically through my notes, and hope to offer some tidbits that qualify as answers.

During positional work, D-line coach Jethro Franklin told his charges that Sunday they started well and finished poorly. If they are going to be inconsistent, he pleaded, he wants that pattern reversed and prefers a big finish.

• Alex Gibbs, the assistant head coach who's basically the run game coordinator, and John Benton, the offensive line coach, finished one period working exclusively with guards and centers -- eight guys in all. That's a 1:4 coach-to-player ratio, an impressive number for a practice in July. It has to help the learning curve.

Gibbs isn't as loud as the last time I watched him work, during Atlanta practices in Nashville a few years ago. But the intensity is the same. He offered small reviews on every little thing to multiple guys after each snap, at a breakneck pace.

• In a team period, a 9-on-7 period and a red-zone team period, I did my best to keep track of the touches of the four running backs who worked. Chris Brown was out with back issues.

Rookie Steve Slaton had 10, Ahman Green (the starter) and Chris Taylor had seven and Darius Walker had six. There seemed to be an effort to keep them all involved, a good mix of inside and outside stuff and a decent number of pass-catching chances. While some of Slaton's came at the end of each period with second- or third-teamers, I felt like they all got some chances with the ones on offense.

Two bad moments of note for Walker: On a play-action, check-down in a team period, he seemed very timid as he collected a short pass in the middle of the field. While he may have been expecting a lick, he lost a chance at additional yards as no one arrived immediately. On one bad play in 9-on-7, Walker got folded in half by safety C.C. Brown.

Chester Pitts told me Sunday the Texans are doing a better job of using the whole field in the run game, and I could see that is the case. It looks like everyone involved in the run game is making progress with the new zone-blocking scheme, though obviously the offensive line isn't cut-blocking teammates. I'll have another entry further addressing some of that soon.

• Matt Schaub was 4-for-5 in his first run through in 7-on-7 passing, hitting Owen Daniels on a nice midrange ball but overthrowing Green up the right side when the back had a half-step on linebacker Morlon Greenwood. Sage Rosenfels was 1-for-3 with a drop and a throw-away. Later in a team period, what I thought was Schaub's deepest throw of the day didn't make it to Andre Johnson as rookie cornerback Antwaun Molden stayed with him up the left side and broke it up. Offense was heavy on short stuff passing-wise. Based on it being my second padded practice, I can't tell you if that's a trend or was just the way the morning unfolded.

• I felt like Daniels did the most damage receiving-wise, pulling in a handful of midrange passes. He was a big part of last year's offense. He should be a bigger part of this year's. More to come on him. If you don't like to spend high fantasy picks on Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, get a read on where Daniels is being drafted and take him a round earlier. [Disclaimer you'll see often: I never win my league.]

• Johnson didn't have a lot of balls come his way, but when they did, you can see how smooth he is. He just carries himself, runs and moves like a top-flight receiver.

• Play of the practice: linebacker Chaun Thompson made an excellent leaping grab in front of Daniels inside the 5-yard line near the boundary in red-zone work. A very pretty interception. I didn't write down who threw it, but as it was the fifth play of a period that lasted about 20, I suspect it was Schaub.

When the entire team was gone, DeMeco Ryans and Rosenfels were still around doing interviews. (Thanks to both.) Molden and fellow corner Derrick Roberson were the last two players on the field working, catching balls shot out of a Jugs machine.

I hope that provides some insight. I can't always look for everything you ask about, but when I have the opportunity to watch a session start to finish, I will certainly try to concentrate on the most frequently asked questions or some that are especially unique.

GuerillaBlack
07-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Texans should get to 10 wins this year (if completely healthy). They would have at least, too, and almost had 9 wins (the almost Titans comeback).

InRareForm
07-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I like this team this year.

I feel optimistic.

AJ is healthy.

I wonder how our running game will pan out and how many games Green will be able to start and be healthy. We have a nice arsenal with RB's and that will be interesting what occurs.

Molden is someone to keep an eye on.

The D looks very promising.

I am excited this year.

GaryJohnston
07-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Texans should get to 10 wins this year (if completely healthy). They would have at least, too, and almost had 9 wins (the almost Titans comeback).

I look at their schedule and I don't see 10 or even 9 wins.

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 07:09 AM
I like this team this year.

I feel optimistic.

AJ is healthy.

I wonder how our running game will pan out and how many games Green will be able to start and be healthy. We have a nice arsenal with RB's and that will be interesting what occurs.

Molden is someone to keep an eye on.

The D looks very promising.

I am excited this year.

We have 5 backs this year, I wonder how many will make the active roster. Green, Brown, Taylor, Slaton, Walker. I think Walker was decent last year and given the chance might be pretty good. I didnt get to see Taylor so I am not sure what he has but Kubiak loves him for some reason. Could we finally see the running game excel like the way Kubiak did in Denver no matter who was running?

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 07:13 AM
TEXANS TRAINING CAMP 2008
Brown hopes for feel-good story

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5912402.html
Chris Brown didn’t move too far from his old home in Nashville, Tenn., and he will still see his former teammates twice a year.

But the 27-year-old running back is hopeful that relocating to Reliant Stadium is just what he needs to rejuvenate his career and put his injury-plagued past behind him.

The only concern is that the injury issues may follow him. Monday morning, Brown’s back started cramping, and he was forced to miss Texans practice.

“It’s part of camp; you’re always going to have things to deal with. But for him to help his football team, he has to be on the field,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “I would sure hope (he’s back today). He is already a day behind and needs to get back out here.”

Brown averaged 4.3 yards per carry over his five seasons with the Tennessee Titans. His best season came in 2004, when he rushed for 1,067 yards and averaged 4.9 yards per carry. He started just 11 games that season because of a toe injury.

Injuries have hampered him in the past, preventing him from playing a full 16-game slate. He played in only 17 games with four starts the past two years.
Frustrating feeling

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Brown said. “When you’re having a good season or you’re trying to turn your season around and someone falls on you wrong and slows you down, it’s very frustrating. But you just have to keep going and move on.

“Everything I’ve had happen to me was someone falling on my foot. There aren’t any foot exercises I can do to strengthen that. If someone falls on my heel, I can’t do anything about it.”

Brown wasn’t signed in March to shoulder the load in Houston. The Texans hope that by being smart in how they use Brown and Ahman Green, the two will be able to hold up longer than they have in the past.

Green has been given the starting nod, but the Texans anticipate using Brown often to spell him. Each has accepted his role.

“You can’t have selfish guys,” Brown said. “You can’t have one person who wants all the limelight. You have to be able to rotate and keep everybody fresh, and it will work.”

The Texans especially like the combination because of the different styles Green and Brown bring to the game. Yet they both also have veteran experience. Both have proved to be capable starters in the NFL.
Two different styles

“Chris is more upright and more of a long-stride guy and slashing into the hole,” running backs coach Chick Harris said. “Ahman has a little bit more of a burst and quick change of direction, more so than Chris. Chris has good vision. He sees good creases and makes good run decisions, and he’s a big, strong guy.”

But if Brown is to be successful in his fresh start in Houston, he must prove he is not fragile and can stay on the field.

“It’s a point of proving who you are,” Harris said. “You’ve been in the league — now are you durable enough to sustain (yourself) for 16-plus games? And that’s what he has to prove to himself and us.”

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 07:15 AM
TEXANS NOTES
Position battles at camp heat up

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5912145.html

Competition intense

Coaches like nothing more than heated battles for starting jobs, playing time and positions on the team. The Texans have that at almost every position.

Coach Gary Kubiak was talking Monday about stiff competition when someone asked him about quarterback Matt Schaub.

“There’s competition at every spot, (and) competition makes players better,” Kubiak said. “Matt knows he gets pushed every day.”

Schaub is the starter, but Sage Rosenfels helped the Texans go 3-1 down the stretch last season. The Texans resisted overtures from Minnesota for Rosenfels.

Rosenfels wants to start, but he’s not going to complain publicly about being the backup.

“The thing I’ve been impressed with the most is after everything we went through in offseason (with the Vikings), he’s all about business,” Kubiak said. “He’s right back at work, playing the way he did last year.

“That’s why he’s a great player — because he feels that way (wanting to start). And that’s the type of guys you want on your team.”
Brown hits from 63

After holding and watching Dynamo defender Craig Waibel kick a 63-yard field goal for charity after practice Sunday, Texans kicker Kris Brown had to see if he could do it before Monday’s practice.

And he did.

“I nailed it, too,” Brown said with a laugh.

As part of a promotion with the Dynamo and Methodist Hospital to send 30 children to the Dynamo’s SuperLiga match tonight against Pachuca, Waibel attempted field goals at the Texans’ facility. He connected from 57 and 63 yards.
Injury report

Through eight practices, the Texans have been able to avoid a serious injury. Middle linebacker Chaun Thompson suffered a hamstring injury and is expected to miss more than a week.

“That’s a setback for Chaun, because he could be out from eight to 10 days,” coach Gary Kubiak said.

Receiver Jacoby Jones has a foot problem that kept him on the sideline.

“He’s got an irritation in his foot that checked out fine (with team doctors),” Kubiak said. “He’s day-to-day.”
Tough guy

Running back Chris Taylor is also playing fullback. His versatility will make him more valuable when the team is arriving at its final 53-man roster. Fullback Vonta Leach has been helping Taylor with the transition.

“Fullback is a whole lot different position,” Leach said, comparing his position to running back.

One to watch

Nick Ferguson: strong safety

Strong safety NickFerguson thought his NFL career had ended after three seasons. He accepted an internship to coach in NFL Europe before Denver personnel assistant RickSmith worked him out during a rainstorm in Tampa.

Smith saw something in Ferguson that caused him to sign the safety to a free-agent contract. Ferguson rewarded Smith’s faith in him by playing five years for the Broncos, including four as a starter when he was healthy.

Ferguson, 33, was signed by Smith again during the offseason. Ferguson is a hard hitter who’s off to a good start at a crowded position. He’s a leader who’s like an extra coach on the field. He again might have to postpone that coaching career.

Did you know?

Rookie defensive tackle Frank Okam ( 6-5, 337) speaks French, is a gourmet cook and was an academic All-American at the University of Texans, where he earned a degree in sports management in 3½ years.

One to watch

Brandon Harrison: free safety

Brandon Harrison had the best practice day of his brief Texans career on Monday.

Harrison (6-2, 227) was making plays all over the field, including an interception return for a touchdown.

“He’s smart, and he works hard,” said general manager Rick Smith, who selected Harrison in the fifth round out of Stanford in the 2007 draft. “You can tell he feels a lot more comfortable. He’s having a real good camp, and today was his best day here.”

Harrison spent last season on injured reserve after suffering a serious hamstring injury. Now he’s trying to make up for lost time at a position that’s going to force the coaches to make some difficult cuts.

The Texans are loaded with safeties, including Harrison, C.C. Brown, Will Demps, Glenn Earl, Nick Ferguson, Dominique Barber and Brandon Mitchell.

In the Texans’ defensive scheme, the safeties are interchangeable. Defensive coordinator Richard Smith, defensive backs coach Jon Hoke and assistant secondary coach Ray Rhodes want to get faster in the secondary.

Harrison has excellent size and good enough speed. He’s so intelligent he sometimes overanalyzes. The coaches want him to get comfortable enough to simply react to what he sees. If he can, he’s got a chance to earn playing time.

midgetonadonkey
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
We have 5 backs this year, I wonder how many will make the active roster. Green, Brown, Taylor, Slaton, Walker. I think Walker was decent last year and given the chance might be pretty good. I didnt get to see Taylor so I am not sure what he has but Kubiak loves him for some reason. Could we finally see the running game excel like the way Kubiak did in Denver no matter who was running?

Green and Walker have been taking most of the reps at RB this TC. From what I've read Walker is having a great TC. I'm thinking he will get a roster spot. Taylor is taking FB reps and will probably get the second spot behind Leech. Jameel Cook will get cut and I bet Chris Brown will get cut. He hasn't even suited up in TC yet and all the spots will be full.

InRareForm
07-30-2008, 04:19 PM
anyone else love the fact that the *expansion team* skin is peeling off rather quickly.

jack sommerset
07-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Texans will not make playoffs. At best 8-8. They play Colts and Jags 2 times. There is 4 loses. Most likely will split with Tennesse. Will lose opener to Pittsburgh and another loss to the Browns. Thats 7 loses already. Though they have a good D-Line they still ranked in 20's in D last season. Those AFC teams have some great offenses. Nothing should change there. The Offense should be better with Matt Schaub playing his 2nd year and have Johnson to pass to will get you some td's. The two colored backs in Green and Brown are older. They might be competitive until 4th quarter.

peewee's lovechild
07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
anyone else love the fact that the *expansion team* skin is peeling off rather quickly.

Dude, it's taken quite a bit of time.
I think only the Bucs have you guys beat at that one.

But, I have to admit that you guys look good this year. I look for you guys to have a good season.

I'm still waiting for an all Texas Super Bowl.

peewee's lovechild
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
The two colored backs in Green and Brown are older.

????????????

jack sommerset
07-30-2008, 04:36 PM
????????????

Last names are colors.....Ahman "Green" and Chris "Brown"

midgetonadonkey
07-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Those two backs aren't going to be carrying the load all season. Chris Brown might not even make the 53 man cut. Darius Walker is going to produce very well this season and Slayton will be a threat as an occasional 3rd down back. They will have a better run game than last season. That's for damn sure.

ATRAIN
08-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Texans sign former Broncos running back Mike Bell

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5918687.html

Running back Mike Bell said it was like going through the NFL Scouting Combine all over again when he arrived Thursday to work out with the Texans.

But his determination to make the most of the opportunity worked.

By 7:15 Thursday night, he had signed a contract and was lining up with his new teammates on the field.

“I was super nervous,” said Bell, who was released recently by Denver. “You’ve just got to do your best and know your time in the league is not very long and take advantage of every opportunity.”

The Texans signed Bell to help fill the void left by Chris Brown, who has spent the past several practices dealing with back spasms. Bell knows the Texans’ system well, since it is almost identical to what he ran in Denver the past two seasons.

“Mike looked a lot faster than everyone else to begin with, but then he got tired,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “So we’ve got to get him going. It was an easy call for us because he knows what we’re doing. He could walk out here today and work.”

Bell rushed for 677 yards and eight touchdowns as an undrafted Broncos rookie in 2006.

He spent most of last season on the bench .

Another Back!! WTF!!

ATRAIN
08-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Brown missed another practice with back spasms. Fucking cut his ass already!!

ATRAIN
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
TEXANS TRAINING CAMP
Bennett's up to the task

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5918827.html

Fred Bennett arrived in Texans camp last summer blessed with an unusually long reach and a surfeit of confidence, two commodities rookie NFL cornerbacks can’t have too much of.

Still, his exuberance had to be properly channeled, and that necessitated a few intense weeks of nagging, harassing and browbeating from secondary coach Jon Hoke.

“You can be as critical of Fred all you want,” Hoke said, “but you’ll never hurt his feelings. He believes in himself too much. Because of that, on top of his raw ability, he’s got a chance to be a great player.”

The evidence suggests he’s on the cusp of same. Statistics can be misleading, but according to the computations of ESPN’s

“Football Scientist,” KC Joyner, who breaks down tapes of every NFL game, Bennett was not only the most effective Texans corner in 2008, he ranked No. 1 in the NFL among CBs who had at least 60 passes thrown their way.

Joyner had Bennett with a “YPA” (yards allowed per attempt) of just 4.7 yards. Also, the 24 medium, deep and long balls he defended totaled only 67 yards in gains. All of this data appeared in a recent issue of ESPN magazine, which Bennett hadn’t seen when he was interviewed.

“My financial adviser told me about it,” he said. “I’m proud they think I’m that good, but I’m not one to get caught up in all the hype. It’s about my teammates, too. I feed off them.”

The 2007 season would be four games old before the fourth-round draft choice got the chance to prove himself. Veteran starter Demarcus Faggins was in full meltdown mode — he’d been pulled from the previous week’s loss in Atlanta — and coach Gary Kubiak told Hoke to let Bennett alternate in for Faggins every third series against the Miami Dolphins, who were heading toward a 1-15 finish. It also was decided to stick Bennett at left corner in place of Faggins in passing situations, with Faggins taking over the less demanding role of nickel back.
Keeping his head up

Aided by the fact that an unschooled rookie quarterback, Cleo Lemon, ended up playing most of the game for Miami after starter Trent Green knocked himself silly trying to block massive Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson, Kubiak’s measures worked. Faggins’ head stopped spinning, Bennett got his foot in the door, and the Dolphins were held to 146 yards passing in a 22-19 Texans victory.

“I never got down,” Bennett said of his inauspicious and largely inactive first quarter of the season, to which a tweaked hamstring contributed. “I knew my chance would come, and I felt like I made the most of my opportunity when it came. I just waited patiently and cheered for the guys on the field. I wasn’t mad at all. But I wanted to be out there.

“Everything was clicking for me against the Dolphins. I dropped a pick, but it was just a big confidence booster for me. I told myself, ‘Hey, I can play on Sundays.’ “

Bennett’s physical dimensions provided him with a head start. At 6-0 and nearly 200 pounds, he’s among the larger cornerbacks in the league, but what’s special about his physique are his 34-inch-long arms. They allow him to get his hands on many balls his peers could only flail at.

“Aside from being a great competitor, Fred’s length gives him a big advantage,” Hoke said, “The quarterback has to take that into consideration. He makes plays because of his length. What we’ve got to do is teach him to take full advantage of it. He still has plenty to learn. But last year (in camp), he wouldn’t always own up to his mistakes. Now, he’ll point them out before you do.

“From an assignment standpoint, a technique standpoint, he has a long way to go. He’ll get out of control sometimes. But that’s only about getting repetitions. He hasn’t had enough time. The older guys, they’ve got it down instinctively.”

Bennett’s learning curve profited hugely from the presence of one older player in particular, the guy who had mentored him as a college freshman, fellow former South Carolina Gamecock Dunta Robinson. Because Robinson knew Bennett’s value as a teammate and liked him, he was understandably excited by the prospect of their being co-anchors of the Texans’ secondary for years to come.

That plan flew off the rails when Robinson suffered a knee injury against Oakland on Nov. 4. Bennett moved over to replace him at right corner, where he started the last seven games. Now, with Robinson presumed out until midseason, the NFL sophomore Bennett, 24, finds himself in a leadership role.
‘Mentally tough’

Robinson isn’t concerned.

“Believe me,” he said, “Fred’s ready for any challenge you throw in front of him. He’s mentally tough. He’s out there teaching other guys on the field right now, like he’s been in the league for six or seven years.”

Bennett isn’t so focused on preparing himself that he has forgotten about Robinson, whose bright future is in at least temporary jeopardy. This summer their roles are reversed. Bennett has become the cheerleader, the one doing the pushing and encouraging.

“When we come out here and run, he’ll see me and say, ‘Hey, you’re looking good. You’ll be back for the first game,’ “Robinson, 26, said, “I’ve got to tell him, ‘Fred, you’re getting ahead of yourself.’ That’s the way he is. That’s how he thinks.

“It’s good motivation for me. I know I’ve got a long road ahead, but I want to get back out there and play with Fred. We’re like brothers.”

Bennett is hip enough to the ways of the NFL to understand the potential downside to his start. He knows what setting the bar so high for himself can mean.

“People expect a lot out of me, and I want to give them what they expect,” Bennett said. “I can’t sit back and wait for things to happen. I was in more of a learning mode last year. It’s a different weight on my shoulders now. I’m ready to accept that.”

midgetonadonkey
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM

I think that's going to happen now that they brought in Bell.

ATRAIN
08-01-2008, 10:13 AM
I think that's going to happen now that they brought in Bell.

How much and for how long did we get Brown? How much will we lose out if we cut him?

jack sommerset
08-01-2008, 10:43 AM

You are talking about practice,practice man.Practice

ATRAIN
08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
You are talking about practice,practice man.Practice

Yeah but he has been and is injury prone. I wasnt happy with his signing in the first place. If he does make the team then ok ill give him a chance but I wont be happy unless he tears shit up(which I highly doubt). It was the same with Dayne, I wasnt a fan of his and am happy he is gone but I supported him because he was one of our players.

midgetonadonkey
08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
He signed a 2 year deal worth 3.6 million with an 800k signing bonus. I think the bonus money is all he will get if we cut him so I don't think it could be a big hit. But I could be wrong.

ATRAIN
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
He signed a 2 year deal worth 3.6 million with an 800k signing bonus. I think the bonus money is all he will get if we cut him so I don't think it could be a big hit. But I could be wrong.

Man I hope thats the case, get his ass out of here.

LocosPorJuana
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
i believe if you cut them before the first pre season game, you wont take the salary cap hit, something like that.

ATRAIN
08-01-2008, 01:32 PM
i believe if you cut them before the first pre season game, you wont take the salary cap hit, something like that.

Man I hope so!!

midgetonadonkey
08-01-2008, 01:46 PM
In some of the interviews with Kubiak, he seemed to be really annoyed with Brown already. I really don't see him making it through the preseason. I was very unhappy with the signing in the first place and now that they signed Bell, I'm sure he's gone.

midgetonadonkey
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM
lol I just watched an interview with Kubian and he said, "I'm trying to keep an open mind about his injuries."

lol You can tell he isn't happy.

ATRAIN
08-01-2008, 02:03 PM
lol I just watched an interview with Kubian and he said, "I'm trying to keep an open mind about his injuries."

lol You can tell he isn't happy.

LOL YESSSSSSS get rid of that ex TIT!! He was garbage there, he will be garbage here.

midgetonadonkey
08-02-2008, 12:45 AM
http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/16/510140/frank-okam-setting-the-rec

In 2007 NFL Draft, the Texans used the tenth overall pick on the highly touted defensive tackle, Amobi Okoye. At nineteen, Okoye was the youngest player ever to be drafted. Still growing into his hulking body, Amobi was awash with potential. What made him a first round lock was his level of maturity and his keen intelligence. Fast forward two days short of a year and the Texans again took a defensive tackle who was a whiz in the classroom and a monster on the field. This is the story of Frank Okam.

From a five star recruit to a fifth round draft pick, Frank Okam has seen his stock rise and fall faster than a Silicon Hills start-up. He arrived in Austin with much fanfare and by all accounts, he was destined for greatness. He was built like Shaun Rodgers and supposed to put up numbers like Casey Hampton. When he wasn’t the second coming of either of them, people started to question his desire to play the game. Once branded with the scarlet letter "U" (underachiever), it became tough to convince NFL teams that he was worth a high round draft pick.

Once thought of as a blue chip prospect, he found himself falling all the way to the 151st overall pick. In total, there were thirteen defensive tackles taken before him. To examine the why, let’s take a look at Okam’s college numbers.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/5811/Okam_College_Stats_2.JPG

A three-year starter, Okam’s production dipped a bit in 2006, however it must be noted that a knee injury kept him from playing against Baylor, a team that he had success against in his career. He bounced back in 2007 and posted solid numbers in all categories. For someone with a questionable motor, Big Frank has a knack for pressuring the quarterback and knocking down passes. If he was taking plays off, it’s hard to tell by those numbers.

So what about those thirteen other players that were taken before him? Surely they had better college careers, right? Let’s take a look at the defensive tackle that was taken right before Okam, Virginia Tech Hokie Carlton Powell. In his senior year, Powell had 39 tackles and 3.5 sacks. At 295 lbs, he is not nearly the physical specimen that Frank Okam is. Score one for Okam.

Okay – lets look at a player who was taken a whole round before Okam, Texas A&M Aggie Red Bryant. He’s got a cool name and a frame similar to Okam’s, but he doesn’t have the numbers. In his senior season, Bryant had 46 tackles (only 13 solo) with one sack and one quarterback pressure. Chalk another one up for Okam.

Let’s look at round three – no, better yet, lets compare Okam to a day one draft pick. A closer look at the second round reveals no real defensive tackle taken. Trevor Laws is listed as a defensive tackle, but played defensive end his senior season skewing his tackle numbers somewhat. Now, even as a DE, he only posted four sacks to Okam’s five. Advantage Okam. So who does that leave us with, the first rounders? Let’s see how Big Frank stacks up against the mock draft prima donnas.

First, North Carolina’s Kentwan Balmer. His senior year he had 59 total tackles, which is slightly higher than Okam’s 52, but Okam trumps Balmer is every other category (tackles for loss, sacks, passes deflected). Despite Balmer’s 6’4" height, he failed to register a single pass deflection. A look at the career numbers of the two, and it isn’t even close, as Okam wins in a landslide.

That leaves us with only two players, both top ten picks. Surely they have the numbers to blow this fifth round pick out of the water – right? In USC’s Sedrick Ellis, the seventh overall pick, we find the first player who had a senior season that was statistically better across the board, but not by much. Ellis had 58 tackles (+6), 12.5 tackles for loss (+2.5), 8.5 sacks (+3.5), and 7 passes deflected (+2). As with Balmer, a comparison of their entire college career, and Okam has the edge. But based on senior seasons, I’d say Ellis takes Okam by a car-length.

So how does Okam stack up statistically to the first defensive tackle taken in the draft, Glenn Dorsey? Better than one would expect. Now, there is no arguing Dorsey’s ability, as he amassed a gaudy 69 total tackles as an interior lineman. But like Ellis, his tackles for loss and sack totals were only slightly higher than Okam’s (+2.5 and +2 respectively). Okam’s bigger frame allowed him to knock down more passes. Of all the defensive tackles we looked at, Dorsey is the only player that has had a more productive collegian career (although, Okam did have one more TFL – ha take that Mr. Fourth Overall).

Now for the ‘yeah, but’.

"Yeah, but there is obviously something teams didn’t like." Truth be told, Big Frank lived up to his moniker and showed up heavy to the combine and did not do well in the speed and agility drills. In his conference call with the media, he said it was due to mishandling his creatine intake, which left him with excess water weight, saying that as soon as he stopped, he dropped back down to 328. Creatine could be the reason as he did put up an impressive 32 reps in the bench press, only 5 off the high mark set by Vernon Gholston and Jake Long. Nevertheless, showing up heavy to the combine helped further promulgate the perception that he wasn’t interested in playing pro ball.

So much so that Texans’ GM Rick Smith needed one more interview with Okam to make sure that his heart was in it 100%.

"We brought him in and interviewed him again, just to go through in terms of his passion of the game. What I just wanted to do when he came here to meet with us was to see how important football was to him. You can have all the talent in the world and if a guy doesn’t have it right here in his heart and have the passion to play this game - because it’s a hard game to play then you are wasting a pick. Our time here spent together, he said the right things I wanted to here. And we’re fortunate that we were able to get him at that pick."

Okam has the following to say about their meeting.

I just want to let them see my talents and my focus personally. Before you can judge someone fully you have to get to know that person, and they brought me in and really sat down and talked to me. They just wanted to see where my head was, and they knew that I’m passionate about this game. I basically told them that they are going to get a guy that can stop the run and get at the quarterback when you need that."

For all the talk about Okam’s heart, he’s always been a competitor. Chip Brown’s excellent Dallas Morning News article profiles the competitive nature of Okam and his former line mate, Derek Lokey. Their fierce competition went beyond the gridiron as they pushed each other to achieve greatness in the classroom. Always looking to outdo one another, they both maintained outstanding GPAs and had aspirations of entering law school. Mack Brown had lofty praise for the both of them.

"They're best friends who compete in the classroom and on the field. They are starting to permeate leadership throughout the team. When you have two guys who are that bright, who do everything right and have played great for us and have great smiles – they are the kind of guys you build your program around."

Over their last two seasons at Texas, they anchored a defensive unit that was ranked 3rd (2006) and 10th (2007) against the run. As seniors, they were named to several first and second team All-Big 12 lists. They were also Academic All-Big 12 selections.

Okam graduated with his degree in Sports Management in 3 1/2 years. Despite the class load, Okam was a five time member of UT's Athletic Director's Honor Roll. Not bad for an underachiever. So while he may have not lived up to the expectations of his five-star billing, you would be hard pressed to say that he had bad go of it at the University of Texas. Here's a quote taken from Frank's pre draft diary:

Being able to finish in three-and-a-half years and know that you’ve graduated and you can go on in life and do the things you want to do since you have a degree from a great University, it’s a great feeling. There are a few things Coach Brown told me I could do when I came to college. One was win a National Championship and one was to graduate and get a T-Ring. Having done both, I can say that my time was spent very well here

It’s obvious that he excels when challenged, both on and off the field. I think that is where heady players like Amobi Okoye and N.D. Kalu come in. Both are extremely intelligent, and they both should have a lot in common with their new teammate. Smarts aside, they share a Nigerian heritage. I have no doubts about Okam's ability to learn defensive schemes or react to the speed of the game (see Wonderlic score of 39). With Okoye, Kalu, and Williams to help bring the rookie along, it could be the makings of a perfect storm.

In Big Frank Okam, the Texans drafted a player who anchored the defensive line for a perennial powerhouse and won a national championship. He's proven his ability to pursue the quarterback, disrupt passes, and stop the run. The only real knock on him is his desire, but something tells me that slipping to the fifth round gives him will give him enough motivation to prove everyone wrong. I for one, am firmly in his corner. Give 'em hell Frank, give 'em hell.

midgetonadonkey
08-02-2008, 12:46 AM
It's from a Texans blog but a good read otherwise.

The dude seems promising. Even though he is a faggot Longhorn.

midgetonadonkey
08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Day 9 Camp Report

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4458

The Texans suffered a huge scare when Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson dove for a catch and came up limping. The injury appears to be a groin strain and the wideout will undergo more tests this weekend. To read more about Johnson’s injury, click here.

Bell needs conditioning: Running back Mike Bell had trouble handling his first full practice in the Houston heat. He cramped up several times and tweaked his hamstring.

Bell was released by the Broncos in July because they wanted him to move to fullback and he struggled with the transition. Bell had not been conditioning with a team before he signed with Houston on Thursday.

“To be honest with you, he’s not in the shape the rest of our football team is and we found that out real fast,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “He got gassed the first night he was out here. He got gassed earlier today, and he’s not up with our team.

“Unfortunately, that’s what happens when you bring guys in the middle of camp or stuff. If they’re not in excellent shape, they get exposed in a way very, very quick. I just don’t think he was in very good condition.”

“To be honest with you, he’s not in the shape the rest of our football team is and we found that out real fast." - Gary Kubiak on Mike Bell
Kubiak has placed a huge emphasis on the conditioning of his players this season. Guard Chester Pitts (6-4, 310) came into camp 10 pounds lighter so that he could be more agile in the team’s zone blocking scheme. The coach would like to see left tackle Duane Brown (6-4, 318) lose 10-15 pounds before the season begins.

Bell will be asked to get fitter right away so that he can help out a running back unit that has been down a player with Chris Brown sidelined with a back injury.

Gibbs improves defensive line: Everyone is talking about how zone blocking guru Alex Gibbs is making the offensive line better. Well, he’s doing the same thing with the D-line. When Gibbs pushes the offensive line during one-on-one drills against the defense, he increases the level of competition and fires up the d-linemen.

Gibbs gets fired up when an offensive lineman shuts down a defender, and the defense can’t stand seeing the assistant head coach get that excited.

The defensive line also has also improved its play against a zone scheme, which should help their run defense this season.

“If you can play great in that scheme, I think everything else can be a little simplified to you,” defensive tackle Amobi Okoye said. “If you can go against him and his scheme and what he’s telling his offensive line to do, and you can beat that, you should be good.”

Okam to increase motor: The Texans drafted defensive tackle Frank Okam in the fifth round this year to help stuff the run. The former Longhorn is massive, but he will have to get his motor going if he is going to help the team in the trenches.

“I saw a good motor in OTAs; I saw a little bit of a lack of it sometimes here at camp,” Kubiak said. “But I’ve seen him bounce back the last few days. That’s what we drafted; we drafted a talented, big kid that didn’t play with a motor all the time. It’s our job to find his motor on a consistent basis. If he does that, he’ll be a very productive player in this league.”

Defensive line coaches Frank Bush and Jethro Franklin have made Okam into their special project. With Okoye being more of a pass rushing tackle, the coaches would like to make Okam into a player who can clog the middle. But the coaches know Okam will need a lot work before he gets there.

“I think he’s just always played ‘Hey, I’m the biggest guy on this damn field. If I go here they can’t block me.’ Kubiak said. “In this league, if you go there they can block you. There are good players in this league, so now he’s having to be more of a technician and those types of things.”

Demps to wear second transmitter: Linebacker DeMeco Ryans will wear the defensive helmet fitted with a transmitter so he can relay calls. Safety Will Demps will wear the helmet when Ryans is not on the field.

Only one player can wear the helmet on the field, and each team can designate two players to have such helmets.

midgetonadonkey
08-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I hope AJ's injury isn't too bad. Groin pulls can be real shitty if they don't heal completely. If it's going to be a problem I wouldn't mind seeing them keep him out of all the preseason games to make sure he is 100% for the season.

I'm not surprised by hearing that Bell is out of shape. Hopefully he gets in shape and they cut Brown for not doing shit the entire TC. And I'm also happy to hear about the Gibbs getting excited about the OLine. He knows his shit and if he is getting excited about the competition in the trenches than that can only be a good sign.

Also, I watched the highlights and they showed Davis and Slaton taking reps as punt returner. I think Slaton can be a good returner. He's got retarded good speed.

ATRAIN
08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
AJ will be ok and im sure everyone is making this more than it seems. I wanna see Slaton!!!! So does that mean Jacoby wont return punts and actually stay healthy?

midgetonadonkey
08-04-2008, 11:41 AM
AJ will be ok and im sure everyone is making this more than it seems. I wanna see Slaton!!!! So does that mean Jacoby wont return punts and actually stay healthy?

I think they were just trying different guys out. I like Jacoby bring back punts.

ATRAIN
08-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I think they were just trying different guys out. I like Jacoby bring back punts.

Yeah until he got hurt. Do you know what the WR pecking order right now is?

I think its AJ, Walters, Davis, Jones.

LocosPorJuana
08-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah until he got hurt. Do you know what the WR pecking order right now is?

I think its AJ, Walters, Davis, Jones.

that's correct, and add anderson as the last receiver to make it. The line backing core is pretty solid too.
Yeay, first preseason game just five days away.:toast

ATRAIN
08-04-2008, 12:04 PM
that's correct, and add anderson as the last receiver to make it. The line backing core is pretty solid too.
Yeay, first preseason game just five days away.:toast

I like what Walters brings to the Table. He is a nice possession receiver that helps move the chains. Jones, AJ and AD all have that home run threat to them. Our 4 WR packages will be tough to guard for sure!! I hope they air the pre season game. Which Anderson do you speak of?

LocosPorJuana
08-04-2008, 12:23 PM
david anderson, the players compare him to welker. He had some nice games, like the attempted comeback against the titans.

ATRAIN
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
david anderson, the players compare him to welker. He had some nice games, like the attempted comeback against the titans.

Oh yeah forgot about that guy. Yeah im liking our WR depth.

Evan
08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Whats up with the Texans site?

http://www.houstontexans.com

Looks like a free template you get with microsoft front page. I don't mean to start an argument here but this is an nfl team and this looks like a basic law firm page or something.

Evan
08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
what law firm webpages do you go to?

ones that look like that

O-Factor
08-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Question since as fans you all read more Texan news than me, but does anyone know how Frank Okam and Domonique Barber are doing in camp??? Also who has the leg up at RB?

midgetonadonkey
08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
A healthy Green eager to carry rushing load for Texans
Associated Press
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Ahman Green, an 11-year veteran, has rushed for more than 1,000 yards six times in his career.

HOUSTON -- Ahman Green caught a screen pass and sprinted down the sideline. On the next play, he took a handoff, cut back and burst through a hole into the open field.

The Houston Texans running back missed most of last season with a knee injury, and his eagerness has been on display at training camp this week. The four-time Pro Bowler often catches himself going a little too hard in workouts.

"That's just the way I'm built. That's just the way I play football," Green said. "Early in camp, I've got to tone down the speed a little bit. Sometimes, I get ahead of my blockers, get to a hole before it's there. I've got to gear it down every now and then -- but that's a good thing."

Green bruised his left knee in the third game of 2007, and the pain and swelling lingered for months. He ended up missing all or part of 10 games.

At minicamp in May, the knee was healed but Green was still preoccupied with it, a dangerous mind-set for a running back.

"That was the hard part, not worrying about that," said Green, who has topped 1,000 rushing yards six times in his career. "When I come running through a hole, I don't want to be thinking about that. I want to be thinking about that play."

The more repetitions he took, the more he put the injury out of his mind. Three months later, Green said he's focused now on rebuilding his stamina, working with his offensive line and perfecting his technique.

Houston coach Gary Kubiak said Green had soreness in his knee on one of the first days of training camp. Kubiak asked Green if he needed a break, and Green said he was fine.

"He said, 'No, I need to work through this,'" Kubiak said. "So that was a good sign and he had a great practice."

Running backs coach Chick Harris said Green frequently asks for feedback during practice, another indicator that he has moved past the injury and is mentally ready for this season.

"He's been very conscientious about how he's looked and what he's doing," Harris said. "For a guy who's been in this league for 11 years, that's a quality that you always want. He's always asking, 'Did I make the right cut? What did I do here? What could I have done better there?' You like having guys like that."

The 31-year-old Green had his best season in 2003, when he rushed for 1,883 yards and 15 touchdowns for the Packers. Green said he feels as healthy and strong as he did before the 2006 season, when he rushed for 1,059 yards.

"Physically, I feel ready to do that again," he said. "I'm not worried so much about what I do individually. As long as I do positive things for this team, all the little things, the big stuff will come."

The Texans signed free agent Chris Brown to back up Green, and Chris Taylor, Darius Walker and rookie Steve Slaton are competing for playing time.

Brown has been hampered by a sore back and the others are short on experience, making a healthy Green imperative to the Texans' success this season.
Houston Texans
» Video | Schedule | Stats
» Roster | Depth chart | Transactions
» Official team site: HoustonTexans.com

"We need him, his experience and his understanding of the game," said quarterback Matt Schaub. "I don't know if he's going to run away from a lot of people, but he's going to get you the yards that he needs to get. Whatever yards are there, he's going to get them."

Harris said Green is taking about 20 snaps during morning workouts, and Kubiak said he's limiting Green in the afternoons to keep his legs fresh. Kubiak is quietly confident that Green is primed for one more 1,000-yard season.

"He's been exceptional, working," Kubiak said. "Looks like he's getting ready for a big one, and I think all of us know we need a big one out of him."

Notes: Kubiak said he would probably keep WR Andre Johnson out of Saturday's preseason opener against Denver. Johnson injured his groin Saturday and hasn't practiced since, but Kubiak said he was being "extra cautious" and that Johnson's injury was minor.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

midgetonadonkey
08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Question since as fans you all read more Texan news than me, but does anyone know how Frank Okam and Domonique Barber are doing in camp??? Also who has the leg up at RB?

I haven't heard much about Domonique Barber. But I don't think he will make the cut. I think they will carry 4 safeties and they will be CC Brown, Glen Earl, Will Demps and Brandon Harrison.

Also, Frank Okam has been solid in TC and will definitely make the squad and be a part of their DT rotation. I don't see him starting at the beginning of the season but from what I've read, they are high on him but just need to work on his motivation.

And I know you are a ridiculous Texas homer since you are asking about a Longhorn and the younger brother of a Cowboy.

midgetonadonkey
08-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Okam will have to work hard to get playing time from ND Kalu, Travis Johnson, and Amobi Okoye, but I think he will be able to do so. He seems like a highly talented lazy fuck, just like TJ. But the Texans are motivating TJ to work hard on every down and I think they can do the same for Okam. I predict he will be one of the top DT's taken in this draft.

O-Factor
08-07-2008, 06:02 AM
And I know you are a ridiculous Texas homer since you are asking about a Longhorn and the younger brother of a Cowboy.

Nothing new there.:hat

I root for all former longhorns to do well in the NFL. I really like Okam.

ATRAIN
08-07-2008, 07:36 AM

Haven't heard much on Okam but the coaching staff is impressed with him and I like our depth on DT. Here is an article on Travis Johnson

Travis Johnson can quote long passages of dialogue from dozens of movies, is a student of sports history, and can offer an opinion on a few dozen topics.

“Why are you so hard on Barry?”

Barry?

“Barry Bonds. You know who I’m talking about.”

That exchange is how one interview began last season. He was ready to debate the topic, but I quickly disarmed him with my charm.

He did some disarming of his own on the opening day of training camp when he showed up with Travis Johnson III in a stroller.

It’s pretty hard to ask the old man if he’s going to work hard when there’s this incredibly cute baby looking up at you. If Big Puma doesn’t start hitting, he might want to try it.

The truth is, the Texans finally seem to know what they have in Johnson. They’re still pushing him, still hoping for more, but there’s no longer any doubt he belongs in the NFL.

He’s one of just seven players left from the 39 Charley Casserly drafted in four years. He might never be the difference-maker he was projected to be, but in his third NFL season, Johnson emerged as a solid run-stopper in the defensive line. His work ethic passed almost every test as well.
A coach’s ultimatum

That wasn’t the case a few weeks before the starting of training camp in 2007, when Texans coach Gary Kubiak told Johnson to either get himself in better shape or prepare to find work in the private sector.

Something seemed to click.

“I don’t know whether I’d go that far,” Johnson said. “There’s an adjustment period for someone coming from college to the NFL. I wouldn’t say last season was night and day or anything like that, but . . .”

Funny how playing for a roster spot will motivate a guy. Whatever the reason, Johnson had his best season, starting a career-high 13 games and finishing with 41 tackles, six pass deflections and an interception.

He gained the wrong kind of fame for taunting Dolphins quarterback Trent Green and then popping off after the game. His mistake was more what he said after the game than what he did on the field, but still.

Johnson believed Green had gone for his knees, and he reacted badly. Never mind that a dozen other players might have reacted the same way.

Fast forward to Johnson’s fourth training camp. He’s in the final year of his original contract and has been limited by a hip injury.

After all the money and all the draft picks the Texans have spent on the defensive line, this might finally be the season when it fulfills all that promise.

Mario Williams seems on the verge of becoming a franchise player, especially if Rosevelt Colvin generates a pass rush from the opposite side. Amobi Okoye has had a terrific second camp, and Jeff Zgonina provides experience, depth and leadership.

“He’s getting in a little bit better condition, but he’s still got a ways to go,” Kubiak said of Johnson. “He played as good as he’s ever played for us last year.”

The Texans have limited his work in training camp in the hope of improving his conditioning as much as possible without further injuring the hip.

“We’ve been pushing him to get the most out of him, and he did play pretty darn well last year,” Kubiak said. “But if he becomes a great player, a Pro Bowl player, then our football team is going to benefit from that. So that’s our job as coaches: to keep pushing him and see if we can find that. I think he’s capable of it. I think he’s capable of being one hell of a player, but his conditioning level has got to be the best it’s been. And keeping him healthy (is important), and that is why we’re taking a different approach with him, so we’ll see.”
Passing it on

Johnson said he understands. He’s acting as a mentor to rookie Frank Okam even as Zgonina shows Johnson the tricks of the trade.

“We saw how we got to eight wins last year,” Johnson said. “We know better how to work and how to finish games.”

It’s funny how things work out. There was a time when Johnson seemed on his way to being another of Casserly’s busts. Kubiak seemed ready to cut him last summer. And then something happened.

Johnson worked harder in the weight room and at practice, made more plays on the field, and progressed as the franchise progressed.

“There is still another level for Travis to reach as a player if we’re going to go where we want to go,” Kubiak said. “He’s got to find another gear, and we’ve got to work him to get that done.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5927059.html

ATRAIN
08-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Battle begins between Texans Walter, Davis

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/2008/08/texans_battle_begins_between_w.html

The Texans couldn't really find themselves in a better situation at receiver. They have good depth, a mix of veterans and youngsters. And they also have a friendly competition that is going on which will only heat up as the regular season nears.

Kevin Walter and Andre' Davis realize they are not the Texans' best receivers. There might be an argument about who should be the true No. 2 though.

The two friends have been taking their arguments onto the field each day in training camp, and they will continue to do so throughout the preseason.

Clearly, the starting job is still Walter's, but Davis is pushing him. Both players are coming off career seasons, and they are looking to prove they are not one-season wonders. Walter is improving his all-around game, and Davis has become more well-rounded in the offseason by improving on his intermediate routes and becoming more than just a deep ball threat.

Will both players be as reliable as they were last year? And are you excited about the team's top three receivers?

Texans WR Davis pushing for starting role

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5929232.html

André Davis is ready to step back on the field. He doesn’t care if it’s the preseason or the regular season. He’s just ready to let loose.

No one can blame him. He ended last season as strong as anyone on the Texans, returning two kickoffs for touchdowns in the season finale against Jacksonville. After putting together the best year of his career as a receiver as well, Davis earned himself a four-year, $16 million contract that will pay him $6.5 million this season.
Fearsome foursome

Davis enters the season as a key component on one of the team’s strongest units.

With Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones returning, expectations are high.

A year ago, the same four were part of a receiving corps that many worried would be a weakness of the team.

“I still don’t know what people think of us, and we couldn’t probably care less,” Davis said. “We know we have a good group. We know we have to continue to carry each other and try to take the load off André, because he is our horse — he’s the guy we’re going to ride.

“We have to make sure we’re going to go out there and do all we can to help this offense out.”

Davis, who caught 33 passes for 583 yards and three touchdowns in 2007, emerged as the team’s No. 3 receiver after spending the first two weeks of the season on the inactive list. A deep option for quarterbacks Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels, he finished the season tied for third in the NFL with 17.7 yards per catch.

“He’s coming in with a lot of confidence,” Schaub said. “He attacked this offseason to get better and improve his intermediate route game. He’s been a big deep threat for us, but he’s developed into a much better all-around receiver for us. He’s had a tremendous two weeks here for us so far, and I’m excited to get him out there and find him in the air.”
Thinking first string

Davis, 29, is ready for any role with the team this year, but he’s still pushing for the opportunity to start as much as possible.

The former second-round pick has started 32 games in the past seven seasons, including eight with the Texans last year. But with stops in four different cities, Davis has never been a full-time starter. He’s trying to change that by pushing Walter constantly.

The friendly competition is benefiting each of them.
Fighting to break through

“Kevin is starting right now, and I’m still fighting to try to break through,” Davis said. “We continue pushing each other, and I think the great thing is that we’re good friends as well. So we’re never going to let that competition get between us, but at the same time we’re going to continue pushing each other to make plays.”

Davis is expected to start alongside Walter in the first preseason game Saturday since Johnson continues to nurse a sore groin and is not expected to play.

“(Davis) has done really good,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “He’s a very consistent player. We’re playing him in a lot of different spots because of Andre being out, but he’s everything we thought he was last year, and I think he’s getting even better.”

ATRAIN
08-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Yes I am excited about your WR's this year but the key is AJ. If he is healthy all year then that will benefit our offense. AJ and whomever steps up at RB are the keys to our offensive success and teams success. There is some good depth at both positions so I think we will be ok and on our way to a above .500 season and hopefully playoffs.

ATRAIN
08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
TEXANS NOTES
Faggins playing well in return

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5929247.html

Cornerback Demarcus Faggins, an original Texan, has returned from a hamstring injury with three good practices. After struggling last season and getting bombarded with criticism by fans and media, Faggins is competing for a job on the team.

“He seems to be OK health-wise,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “We’re going to have some tough calls (at cornerback), so those guys have to play a lot. It’s going to be a tough group to make, so they’ve got to step up and do it.”

Veteran Jamar Fletcher and rookie Antwaun Molden are reserve cornerbacks who have excelled in camp. Molden is nursing a nagging groin injury, but the coaches are hoping he can play Saturday against Denver.

“We held Molden out,” Kubiak said. “We want to do everything we can so he can play.”
Expensive cheerleader

Expect receiver Andre Johnson to be stuck on the sideline against the Broncos. Since suffering a groin injury last week, he has been running during practice.

The doctors don’t want to rush him back and take a chance on aggravating the injury.

“He’s better, but as of now, there’s a very slim chance that he’ll play,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “If we were playing a regular-season game, we’d be pushing him.”
Weary injured

Guard Fred Weary has been struggling since camp began. He was supposed to be 100 percent recovered from surgery to repair his tibia and fibula, an injury he suffered at Tennessee in early December.

“It’s a concern right now,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “We thought he was in position where we could work him into it slowly. Obviously, he had other setbacks because of the surgery. He has a hamstring issue right now.”
Linebackers praised

Middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans enters his third season as one of the best players in the NFL at his position.

He’s flanked by Morlon Greenwood and Zac Diles, a first-year starter.

“He’s the leader of our defense, and he’s one of the big leaders on our team,” coach Gary Kubiak said of Ryans. “He and Morlon have been mainstays, and I think for the first time, they sense some good help around them.

“We’re more athletic at that position. They’re bringing Zac along.”
Green special guest

Former Redskins cornerback Darrell Green, a Houston native who played at Jones High and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday, will be on the Roberta and Riley Show on 610 AM on Saturday morning at 7.

Dan Riley, the Texans’ strength and rehabilitation coach, had the same position with the Redskins for almost all of Green’s career. He and Roberta Anding, the Texans’ dietician, will talk to Green about the role fitness and diet played in his 20-year career.

InRareForm
08-09-2008, 06:52 PM
First PreSeason Game, anyone gonna watch?

T Park
08-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I would watch if it was on TV.

ATRAIN
08-11-2008, 09:35 AM
First PreSeason Game, anyone gonna watch?

Pretty good from what I saw, however im still very concerened about our DB's and RB's. Duane Brown looked good, Mario is still a beast, Anderson will be a very good WR this year. Im worried about our RZ offense.

Finally

Shane Boyd >>>>>>>>>>>> Vince Young.

InRareForm
08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Pretty good from what I saw, however im still very concerened about our DB's and RB's. Duane Brown looked good, Mario is still a beast, Anderson will be a very good WR this year. Im worried about our RZ offense.

Finally

Shane Boyd >>>>>>>>>>>> Vince Young.

yea.. wth was jacoby doing on that punt return???

Anderson is not flashy but very dependable. Our wide reciever unit is real nice this year.

Slaton's speed looked real nice, just hope his game carries over to NFL. Our RB situation is a mess. AHman "glass man" green is a paycheck collector, put him in jail.

Our kicker is badass.

Demeco did well.

Game 1 Recap:

6GFgkvHwCPI

ATRAIN
08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
yea.. wth was jacoby doing on that punt return???

Anderson is not flashy but very dependable. Our wide reciever unit is real nice this year.

Slaton's speed looked real nice, just hope his game carries over to NFL. Our RB situation is a mess. AHman "glass man" green is a paycheck collector, put him in jail.

Our kicker is badass.

Demeco did well.

Game 1 Recap:

6GFgkvHwCPI

Jacoby was trying to hard to be a playmaker like last year, hopefully this will calm him down.

Spuradicator
08-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Jacoby was trying to hard to be a playmaker like last year, hopefully this will calm him down.

Playmaker? UdokaDynasty, since when has Jacoby Jones been a playmaker. He's not even a starting WR on your team. Randy Moss, T.O., Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Reggie Wayne, Chad, Johnson, Andre Johnson, those are playmakers. The kid has nice potential to be a productive WR in the league, but don't call him a playmaker when he's not one. Come on.

And since I already know you will try to counter with his punt return ability, he is just an above average punt returner, again not a playmaker like Hester, Cribbs, or Roscoe Parrish. Again, he has great potential, don't go creaming your panties just yet.

Im just sayin.

ATRAIN
08-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Playmaker? UdokaDynasty, since when has Jacoby Jones been a playmaker. He's not even a starting WR on your team. Randy Moss, T.O., Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Reggie Wayne, Chad, Johnson, Andre Johnson, those are playmakers. The kid has nice potential to be a productive WR in the league, but don't call him a playmaker when he's not one. Come on.

And since I already know you will try to counter with his punt return ability, he is just an above average punt returner, again not a playmaker like Hester, Cribbs, or Roscoe Parrish. Again, he has great potential, don't go creaming your panties just yet.

Im just sayin.

First off get the fuck out of my thread and go talk to yourself in a Titans thread. I didnt say he was a playmaker I was saying he is trying to be a playmaker like he tried last year to be a playmaker and he got hurt. His only upside so far has been from returning punts and thats where he coughed up the ball again. Seriously im not going to let you suck my dick stop following me around like a lil boy in mexico trying to spit shine my shoes and sell me chicklets.

Spuradicator
08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
First off get the fuck out of my thread and go talk to yourself in a Titans thread. I didnt say he was a playmaker I was saying he is trying to be a playmaker like he tried last year to be a playmaker and he got hurt. His only upside so far has been from returning punts and thats where he coughed up the ball again. Seriously im not going to let you suck my dick stop following me around like a lil boy in mexico trying to spit shine my shoes and sell me chicklets.

Soooooooooooo, you're saying I can't comment or contribute here in this thread?

All I did was merely correct your assessment. Jeez UdokaDynasty. Lighten up!

ATRAIN
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Soooooooooooo, you're saying I can't comment or contribute here in this thread?

All I did was merely correct your assessment. Jeez UdokaDynasty. Lighten up!

You didnt correct shit you basically read what I was saying wrong. LOL its funny you keep calling me that. If you actually knew me you would know if I made a dynasty troll it wouldn't be Udoka. So when does your high school start up school again?

Spuradicator
08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
You didnt correct shit you basically read what I was saying wrong. LOL its funny you keep calling me that. If you actually knew me you would know if I made a dynasty troll it wouldn't be Udoka. So when does your high school start up school again?

No, you lucked out that the wording could be taken in two contexts. I'll let you have that one because Im kind UdokaDynasty

ATRAIN
08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
No, you lucked out that the wording could be taken in two contexts. I'll let you have that one because Im kind UdokaDynasty

NO like the fuck head that you are you read what you wanted to read. Like I said no one cares what a TIT fan says in a Texans thread, dont let the door hit you on your way out.

Spuradicator
08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
dont let the door hit you on your way out.

:lmao

I've only heard old women say that

InRareForm
08-12-2008, 01:56 PM
I sure hope our red zone offense also improves greatly.

ATRAIN
08-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I sure hope our red zone offense also improves greatly.

Yeah im not to worried, I think they were just trying things out. Once we figure out who will be running the ball, we will be ok.

InRareForm
08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/8843/capt6bce31415bfe407997ayr0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/8843/capt6bce31415bfe407997ayr0.464fa12c1f.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=48&i=capt6bce31415bfe407997ayr0.jpg)
I am ready for more of this, this season ^

TheSanityAnnex
08-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Is this the thread where the guy who thinks the Texans will have a bette record than the Chargers hangs out? That guy owes me $50.

GuerillaBlack
08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Texans better record than the Chargers? WTF?! I'm a full 100% Texans fan, but that isn't happening.

ATRAIN
08-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Is this the thread where the guy who thinks the Texans will have a bette record than the Chargers hangs out? That guy owes me $50.

LOL yes he comes by from time to time. You guys bet 50? I thought it was just a sig bet?

LocosPorJuana
08-17-2008, 09:25 AM
The first team offense looked unguardable, and Matt Schaub just kept picking at jason david. Then again, breese did the same with reeves =/ Very entertaining game for a preseason game. On jacoby, his fumbling woes continued. His biggest problem is that he suffers from the T.O syndrome.

ATRAIN
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah great game last night, All our WR's are pretty damn good. I think JJ is going to lose his 4th spot to Anderson if he hasnt already. Also I think we should use Andre Davis in PR and as our main KR guy.

J.T.
08-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah great game last night, All our WR's are pretty damn good. I think JJ is going to lose his 4th spot to Anderson if he hasnt already. Also I think we should use Andre Davis in PR and as our main KR guy.

What bar are we watching the October 5th game at again?

You should come to my apartment with a case of High Life for the November game so we can block my new roommates from watching their Cowboys. I don't know if they'll be Cowboys fans, but the office put a note in my mailbox with their names and numbers and they're all 254 prefixes so... yay for living with retard Cowboys and Mavs fans for the next year.

GuerillaBlack
08-17-2008, 07:58 PM

I wouldn't. Keep Andre Davis at KR. No need to put him in at PR. I think Jacoby will get his shit together soon enough. He's already on the "bubble" according to Kubiak.

j-6
08-17-2008, 07:59 PM

You should come to my apartment with a case of High Life for the November game so we can block my new roommates from watching their Cowboys. I don't know if they'll be Cowboys fans, but the office put a note in my mailbox with their names and numbers and they're all 254 prefixes so... yay for living with retard Cowboys and Mavs fans for the next year.

254 is Waco / Killeen, so you might get some Army guys (or dependents) with different allegiances.

LocosPorJuana
08-18-2008, 06:50 AM
wow.. slaton is going to get the start against the evil cowboys on friday. =)
When he got that block, that allowed his qb to complete a play, that's when kubiak said the kid is ready.

ATRAIN
08-18-2008, 07:25 AM
wow.. slaton is going to get the start against the evil cowboys on friday. =)
When he got that block, that allowed his qb to complete a play, that's when kubiak said the kid is ready.

Slaton has some big play potential from what I saw, he looks like he can hit a hole and make a defense pay. Aints def isnt that good though and he was hitting up a 2nd string def. at that so let see how he does against the Cowboys on sat.

ATRAIN
08-18-2008, 07:28 AM

Its up to you J, I guess we we talk more about it as it gets closer. Hey J, want to hit up 3rd base for opening day. Im sure there will be some Colts fans there. Wait I just checked and you guys got a prime time slot. Well we can do week 2 you guys got a early game and we have a afternoon game. Its up to you if you want to come out week 1 I might hit up 3rd base afterall.

midgetonadonkey
08-21-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm not going to get excited about anything because it's only preseason.

The one thing I am excited about though is Slaton. He is going to eventually be a solid back.

And I say this again like I've said for a long time...

Fuck Jacque Reeves!

J.T.
08-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Its up to you J, I guess we we talk more about it as it gets closer. Hey J, want to hit up 3rd base for opening day. Im sure there will be some Colts fans there. Wait I just checked and you guys got a prime time slot. Well we can do week 2 you guys got a early game and we have a afternoon game. Its up to you if you want to come out week 1 I might hit up 3rd base afterall.

Dude I am down to get drunk and watch football every Sunday. Except on the Colts bye week... usually on that week I sit in the closet with the lights off and cry all day because I don't get to jerk off to Peyton Manning that week. Whatever you want to do, it'll be more fun than watching football with the guys I usually watch with and having to listen to them go on about how Tony Romo is the son of Jesus Christ and Joe Montana.

Findog
08-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Slaton is still available in one of my leagues. Is he worth picking up? Ahman Green and Chris Brown are both turds.

Findog
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey J.T., what's the story with Peyton? I paid $50 for him in my $200 auction league. I bought Favre for $10 so I feel good about that, but I was planning on rolling with Pey-Pey this year. Is he gonna play W1?

GuerillaBlack
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Slaton is still available in one of my leagues. Is he worth picking up? Ahman Green and Chris Brown are both turds.

Pick that fool up. He shall be Clinton Portis jr. The way he improved from pre-season game 1 to 2 is amazing (picking up blitzes well, running in between the tackles). He is getting starting time in Dallas on Friday. People are definitely picking up on him though. NFLNetwork had him as a fantasy sleeper, as well as ESPN. His ownage percentage went up 2.2% for the last three days, and 1% today at ESPN. :toast

Findog
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Pick that fool up. He shall be Clinton Portis jr. The way he improved from pre-season game 1 to 2 is amazing (picking up blitzes well, running in between the tackles). He is getting starting time in Dallas on Friday. People are definitely picking up on him though. NFLNetwork had him as a fantasy sleeper, as well as ESPN. His ownage percentage went up 2.2% for the last three days, and 1% today at ESPN. :toast

Just got him. Thanks!

J.T.
08-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Hey J.T., what's the story with Peyton? I paid $50 for him in my $200 auction league. I bought Favre for $10 so I feel good about that, but I was planning on rolling with Pey-Pey this year. Is he gonna play W1?

Colts have been saying their four injured stars (Manning, Harrison, Freeney and Sanders) are all good to go for W1. Manning has been practicing but not in pads. If I had to guess, he'll probably start the final preseason game and play one series. There was a rumor that Manning was wearing a knee brace but he found some cameras to talk to about it and said he's not wearing a brace and wants to start against the Bears.

Evan
08-23-2008, 10:29 AM
These comments are nothing short of awesome

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/i_want_to_live.html

GuerillaBlack
08-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Richard Justice is a bitch.

ATRAIN
08-26-2008, 07:54 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5965659.html

FINAL TRYOUT
Texans' draft choices will have an important chance to impress coaches in final preseason game Thursday

With one preseason game remaining against Tampa Bay on Thursday night at Reliant Stadium, now is a good time for an annual review of the Texans’ draft choices.

The Texans make their first cut today to get to 75 players, but the big roster reduction to 53 must be made no later than 3 p.m. Saturday

Rookies and unproven veterans have one more game to impress general manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak before they eliminate positions.

“We’ve got some tough decisions to make,” Kubiak said. “We’re going to see a lot of young players play Thursday.”

When evaluating the seven draft choices, the best place to start is with the two who have stood out most in camp and preseason — offensive tackle Duane Brown and running back Steve Slaton.

“Brown’s been exceptional,” Kubiak said, “and Slaton has exceeded our expectations.”

Brown was the first-round pick. Slaton was the second pick in the third round, selected after cornerback Antwaun Molden.

“I feel real good about our rookies,” offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said. “Duane has done everything we’ve asked. He still needs to get better, of course, but he’s caught on faster than I thought he would.

“He’s got the mentality you want. When he gets beat, it doesn’t faze him. Usually, when young guys get beat, they’ll soften up a little because they’re afraid of getting beat again. Not Duane. He doesn’t play with any fear. He gets after it on every play, no matter what.”

Slaton was drafted as a third-down back, but he’s improved every week. He averaged 4.4 yards on 10 carries against Dallas’ starters in a 23-22 loss Friday night .

“He made a lot of strides against Dallas,” Shanahan said. “We knew he was a runner who needed to get used to going north-south, and he’s gotten better. He only did it once against Dallas. Where he really made progress was his pass protection.”
Injury slows Molden

Of the seven draft choices, Molden ranks close behind Brown and Slaton, but a hamstring injury slowed him during camp, and he’s been rounding into top shape. He’ll get a lot of playing time against the Buccaneers on Thursday night

“I like his athletic ability, speed and toughness,” defensive coordinator Richard Smith said. “Corners are going to give up a big play, and I like his demeanor. He gives me the impression that it’s not going to bother him a ton; he can play the next play.”

Outside linebacker Xavier Adibi (fourth round), did well in the organized team activities but has been injured so much in camp and preseason that he’s failed to make an impression. He’ll still make the team because he’s talented and has potential.

Defensive tackle Frank Okam (fifth) is the wide body the Texans have lacked up front. Even though he’s done little to stand out, expect him to make the team.
Numbers game

Safety Dominique Barber (sixth) has played well enough to make the team, but he could get caught up in a numbers game at safety. It depends on how many the Texans keep. He could end up on the roster or the practice squad.

Quarterback Alex Brink (seventh) will play a lot against Tampa Bay, but he was destined for the practice squad from the beginning.

ATRAIN
09-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Looks like we placed RB Chris Brown on IR (I dont know why we signed this POS IMO). I was dissapointed to cut Colvin but from what I heard he didnt do anything this preseason. I wonder how long it will take to get Slaton as the starter.

ATRAIN
09-02-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5978356.html

Texans Notes: Squad ready to face Steelers

Ready for Steelers

The Texans had a light workout Monday before getting their last day off today as they prepare for Sunday’s game at Pittsburgh.

“Great team, great organization, (this is) probably as tough as it gets, but we’re looking forward to it,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “We had a good camp. We’re a better team than we were last year, but that doesn’t guarantee you anything. We’ve got some big tasks ahead.”

The Texans are 3-3 in openers, 1-1 on the road.

“We understand what it’s going to take for us to be successful, not only through the season but especially through this opening (game),” Kubiak said. “You either get better in this business, or you’re in trouble. We get to find out just how far we’ve come.”
New feel at RB

Of the Texans’ three running backs, only Ahman Green carried the ball last season, and he was hurt from the first game on.

He missed all but one play of this preseason.

Chris Taylor spent his second season on injured reserve. Steve Slaton was a junior at West Virginia.

“Ahman’s ready to go,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “He’s been practicing for two weeks.”

As for Taylor and Slaton, Kubiak said, “It’s easy to sit here and say, yes (they’re ready), but bottom line is, we’ll find out.”

Taylor also is the backup fullback behind Vonta Leach.

“We’re asking a lot of him,” Kubiak said. “We’re asking a lot of special-teams work out of him, too. His role is getting broader. Hopefully, that won’t set him back. Hopefully, he rises to the challenge because we need him to play well.”
Best Texans team?

Receiver Andre Johnson has been on every Texans team but the first one. He was asked after practice Monday if this is the best team he’s played for.

“I think so,” he said. “There’s a lot of talent here, a lot of competition. And through camp, it was probably the most competition we’ve had since I’ve been here.

“You can tell the team’s better just by looking at us in practice. If we do what we’re supposed to do, we’ll put ourselves in a good situation.

“Guys expect more from themselves. We don’t want to be in those situations that we were in before. We’re determined to get those things fixed and become a winning team.”

ATRAIN
09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=4594

Wilson added to roster: The Texans signed cornerback Eugene Wilson to a one-year contract on Wednesday to add depth to the secondary. Wilson, 28, had 55 career starts and won two Super Bowl rings in five seasons with New England. The sixth-year veteran left the Patriots as a free agent and signed with the Buccaneers in the offseason, but he was waived in the final round of cuts.
Wilson has played several positions in the defensive backfield, and the Texans plan to keep him at cornerback.

“We’ve been looking for a guy that’s played some nickel to add as a fifth DB,” head coach Gary Kubiak said. “We had a couple of options. (General manager) Rick (Smith) had his eye on him. I played against him - I coached against him. Very smart player. So, we just felt we needed to add that depth right now and the fact that he can play nickel helped.”

ATRAIN
09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Dude I am down to get drunk and watch football every Sunday. Except on the Colts bye week... usually on that week I sit in the closet with the lights off and cry all day because I don't get to jerk off to Peyton Manning that week. Whatever you want to do, it'll be more fun than watching football with the guys I usually watch with and having to listen to them go on about how Tony Romo is the son of Jesus Christ and Joe Montana.

LOL I just read this. Yeah im going to make a rule in my apt that cowgirls are not allowed on my tv, unless its the play where Romo gets his knee blown out. That is my only exception.

Evan
09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
LOL I just read this. Yeah im going to make a rule in my apt that cowgirls are not allowed on my tv, unless its the play where Romo gets his knee blown out. That is my only exception.

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuude

:depressed

ATRAIN
09-04-2008, 01:21 PM
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuude

:depressed

LOL it was a joke from another thread that got a lot of cowboys fans all pissed off and what not. All in all it is really a joke and would feel bad if it really happeend........maybe.

leemajors
09-21-2008, 01:07 PM
who's at fault for this team? Kubiak or the GM? They are not any better than when Casserly was in charge.

InRareForm
09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Bench Schaubby and FIRE KUBIAK!

red zone offense is horrible.

Clandestino
09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
We're fucked again. Kubiak sucks and Schaub is a little bitch. Come on! He can't even get the snap from the center!

The Instigator
09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5907153.html

Texans draft choice Duane Brown agrees to 5-year deal

After an all-night negotiating session, the Texans have avoided the second official holdout in franchise history.

Left tackle Duane Brown, the first-round draft choice, agreed to a five-year, $11.5 million contract early today. If he signs in time to make the morning practice, Brown won't be an official holdout.

Defensive tackle Travis Johnson missed a day in 2005 when he was the first pick to become the team's only holdout. General manager Rick Smith and agents Ken Landphere and Andy Ross negotiated through the night to get the deal done so Brown, who played at Virginia Tech, in training camp on time.

As soon as he arrived in Houston, Brown, the 26th pick in the first round, was inserted into the starting left tackle job ahead of veteran Ephraim Salaam.

houston isnt going anywhere this year..they flat out suck ass

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Bench Schaubby and FIRE KUBIAK!

red zone offense is horrible.

Yeah the play calling in the red zone was shite!!! The only good thing from yesterday was Slaton. That little fucker is a slippery little bitch.

Trainwreck2100
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Everybody's using the direct snap now

Trainwreck2100
09-28-2008, 02:21 PM
that was a nice fucking catch

Evan
09-28-2008, 02:46 PM
You guys feeling a little David Carr 2.0 with Shaub?

I was listening to sirius radio and texan fans were shredding him to pieces

ATRAIN
09-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Nah man Shaub isnt that bad yet. He had a good game last week but the def messed up in OT. I think they were just tired though.

Trainwreck2100
10-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Poor houchuli, he's been reduced to games like this

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
:)

Go Texans!

benefactor
10-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Lots of mistakes in a game we should have dominated, but we FINISHED. I'll take it.

mytespurs
10-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Lots of mistakes in a game we should have dominated, but we FINISHED. I'll take it.

A game the Dolphins could've & should've won if that swiss cheese secondary knew how to defend.....sorry if my perspective is a tad skewed....I'm a dolphins fan...:hat.....didn't see the game...it wasn't on in my area/...only saw the last few seconds....great call by Kubiak......I should not have been surprised...Houston has the Fins number.....great win for the Texans..they deserved, especially after last week's game ending debacle. As for the Fish, back to the drawing board and a reality check for those fans with visions of playoffs dancing in their heads...:downspin:

Dr. Gonzo
10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
We got us a winning streak going.

Oh yeah...

Well I don't know if 2 in a row is technically a winning streak but fuck I'll take it.

InRareForm
10-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Good, expected win today. Let up in the 2nd half, but it just wouldn't be a Texan game without getting your heartbeat up til the end.

Love the Offense. Good game for AJ. Ahman Green actually doing his job in getting 3-5 yards a carry. Let's hope he stays on the field. Him and Slaton make a good duo.

Dunta ROb is back but showing signs of year rust and hesitant play. He will come around. The defense needs some identity in the backfield. The D sucked today, and most of all season.

Dr. Gonzo
10-19-2008, 09:13 PM
They didn't show the game here in SA but it was good to hear they got the win. It's expected for them to almost fuck up a lead against one of the worst teams in football but a w is a w.

Next up the lowly Bengals. Hopefully they can get 3 in a row.

Clandestino
10-19-2008, 09:24 PM
We got us a winning streak going.

Oh yeah...

Well I don't know if 2 in a row is technically a winning streak but fuck I'll take it.

1 in a row is a winning streak for us texans fans!!!:lmao

i was just looking. we have a good shot at a wild card berth

traitoravery
10-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Please Lord Dont let us be the Bungals first win of the season....:angel

T Park
10-19-2008, 11:49 PM
If the Texans can get to 500, they will get a wild card spot.

T Park
10-19-2008, 11:50 PM
the team is 2-4 in all reality should be 3-3, but actually 4-2.

Which is unreal.

benefactor
10-20-2008, 06:59 AM

Which is unreal.
Indeed. I have talked about this with several people. We gave away the Jags and the Colts game. We are probably the best 2-4 team in the league right now.

We are still not there yet though. We showed the best and worst of ourselves yesterday. We have all the weapons to be a really good team but we still make mental mistakes that make games closer than they should be. Plus Petey Faggins is still lurking in our secondary for some reason..........:ihit:bang:ihit

ATRAIN
10-20-2008, 07:26 AM
They didn't show the game here in SA but it was good to hear they got the win. It's expected for them to almost fuck up a lead against one of the worst teams in football but a w is a w.

Next up the lowly Bengals. Hopefully they can get 3 in a row.

Yeah they didnt show it in Austin either, I watched on a online stream that someone posted on a Texans board.

Which is unreal.

I honestly believe we are good enough to be 4-2. Those last 2 loses (especially against the colts) were our games and we gave them away. WE need to learn how to play in the 4th qtr. If we have the lead we are letting other teams get back into it. Hopefully we can beat down Cinncy with ease and no to minimal injuries. The Vikings dont look too impressive this year so we "could" beat them. Then the Colts the week after. Hopefully we can come out with a purpose after we let them slip away in out last meeting. Then we SHOULD be able to beat the Browns. We should be able to take the next 4 games, but we need to figure out how to close.

Dr. Gonzo
10-20-2008, 08:25 AM
The Ravens are after Cincy. I wish I can say I can see them winning the next 2 but with this team you never know. They can lay a big fat egg against any of those team.

peewee's lovechild
10-20-2008, 09:01 AM
The Texans are looking better.

Shaub looked sharp and Slayton is just a running monster.

The Cowboys started the season looking great and the Texans looking like a Canadian football team. Now, it seems the roles have been reversed.

ATRAIN
10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
The Ravens are after Cincy. I wish I can say I can see them winning the next 2 but with this team you never know. They can lay a big fat egg against any of those team.

Yeah I agree, i dont want to get all hard and then get teased. Our Redzone OFF has gotten better. Its about time they start going to Daniels in the redzone. Thats what the TE is for, those 5 to 10 yard dump offs.

The Texans are looking better.

Shaub looked sharp and Slayton is just a running monster.

The Cowboys started the season looking great and the Texans looking like a Canadian football team. Now, it seems the roles have been reversed.

Shaub is looking better and I think his confidence is coming back. I think seeing Sage come in and kick ass (except that 4th qtr) might have lit a fire under his ass. Slaton is a fast little bitch and is a very nice surpise for our 3rd round. Having Green come in to spell him has worked out pretty good. Ahman can't do it every down anymore and having him help out every 3rd series is good. Now if he can only stay healthy. Andre caught a shitload of passes too and chmomped the yards. Dunta is back and hopefully can help. Things are looking up.

mytespurs
10-20-2008, 11:19 AM

Which is unreal.

In all reality 3-3 I ...Miami should've won that game....they blew it!!! :lol

But I'll give Houston props...at 2-4 they are better than Miami's 2-4.

ATRAIN
10-20-2008, 11:51 AM

LOL ok your right!! 3-3 :)

T Park
10-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Disagree.

ATRAIN
10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Disagree.

on what the Miami win?

Dr. Gonzo
10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
In all reality the Texans are 2-4.

T Park
10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
They may be, but they've played better than their record.

They will beat the Bengals because they are a nightmare right now.

The season hinges on the game vs the Ravens.

If they beat the Ravens, get to 4-4, then thats when the team can kick it into gear and make a playoff run. Although they will have to contend with the Colts for the wild card because Tennessee has the division about wrapped up.

ATRAIN
10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
They may be, but they've played better than their record.

They will beat the Bengals because they are a nightmare right now.

The season hinges on the game vs the Ravens.

If they beat the Ravens, get to 4-4, then thats when the team can kick it into gear and make a playoff run. Although they will have to contend with the Colts for the wild card because Tennessee has the division about wrapped up.

I think we can beat the Colts, we proved it last time. Had Rosen held on and slid we would be in a great shape.

Dr. Gonzo
10-20-2008, 01:46 PM
The way the AFC has panned out so far, the Texans are still only 1 game back from a possible wild card spot. Considering how poorly they have played it's good to know that a nice run these next few weeks can put them up in playoff contention. I don't they will make the playoffs but it's good to look at the positive side of the season so far.

Tennessee 6-0
Pittsburgh 5-1
Buffalo 5-1
Denver 4-2
New England 3-2
Indianapolis 3-3
Jacksonville 3-3
Baltimore 3-3
NY Jets 3-3
San Diego 3-4
Miami 2-4
Oakland 2-4
Cleveland 2-4
Houston 2-4
Kansas City 1-5
Cincinnati 0-7

And with the upcoming schedule, they only play 3 teams with above .500 records. If they can turn their defense around they just might end up with another non-losing record.

Cincinnati (0-7)
Minnesota (3-4)
Baltimore (3-3)
Indianapolis (3-3)
Cleveland (2-4)
Jacksonville (3-3)
Green Bay (4-3)
Tennessee (6-0)
Oakland (2-4)
Chicago (4-3)

InRareForm
10-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Even if we are supposed to be 4-2, our defense still stinks. But hey I would love to make the playoffs and make things exciting. our offense averaging 28 pts per past few weeks.

Dr. Gonzo
10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.sports790.com/cc-common/mlib/589/10/t_589_1224513818.jpg

Dr. Gonzo
10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
lol Petey Faggins

Fucking piece of shit Faggins. :pctoss

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
There aren't many CBs who are going to stick with CJ one on one on a fly route.

That's on the coaching staff.

Just like not throwing to CJ almost every time he's singled is also on the coaching staff(Lions).

InRareForm
10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Free Molden!!!

http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/05/09/11209060/226xRefer.jpg

mytespurs
10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
LOL ok your right!! 3-3 :)

Houston earned that win! Miami couldn't stop them when it mattered so they deserved to lose.....painful as it was. I have a feeling the Fish will drop in the rankings on the "Green Elevator". :hat

Dr. Gonzo
10-26-2008, 03:28 PM
PM me for a link to the game. I don't know if it would be cool for me to post it here.

BSofA04
10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Solid butt kicking by the Texans today. Sure it was the Bengals, but they took care of business. Can't wait till next week when they play Minnesota.

InRareForm
10-26-2008, 08:05 PM
WOOOOOO.... feels good to have a better record than:

Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Lions, SeaHawks, Rams, Niners

and tied with:

Browns, Jaguars, Vikings,

benefactor
10-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Finally dominated a game on both sides of the ball...at the same time. We're turning the corner baby.

Dr. Gonzo
10-26-2008, 10:41 PM

Texans at 3-4
Chargers at 3-5.

By winning percentage I'm winning the bet so far. lol

Trainwreck2100
10-26-2008, 11:55 PM
WOOOOOO.... feels good to have a better record than:

Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Lions, SeaHawks, Rams, Niners

and tied with:

Browns, Jaguars, Vikings,

Jags have a better record, as they ownm the tiebreaker.

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Finally dominated a game on both sides of the ball...at the same time. We're turning the corner baby.

I didnt watch the game but I heard it on the road. Sounded good and been waiting for highlights all morning.

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6079571.html

Commentary: Texans better than history, record shows

It is so easy to conclude that the Texans did what they were supposed to do:

Domination from start to finish — in all three phases of the game — against a weaker team.

But there is more to the Texans’ record-setting 35-6 win over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

This type of game should not be only what the Texans were supposed to do. It should be what they are.

Here’s the shocker: If you set aside their abysmal history (and in a way the mathematical negative of this year’s 3-4 record), you might realize that this was indeed who they are.

Yes, the Houston Texans are a pretty decent football team.

Now some of you will take this as you would information from local weathermen so affected by the warmth that they freak out over “cold fronts” that threaten to drop the temperature below 50.

That’s understandable.

But just because you had your A/C on all last week doesn’t mean the Texans are a bad football team. Those days are over.

Frigid Fall is here.

The first two games of the season cannot be expunged from the ledger, but isn’t it clear that those games are the exceptions, while the way the Texans have played the last five weeks is a better representation of what kind of team they actually are?

Did you know that Matt Schaub, who set franchise records against the Bengals with his fourth consecutive game of 250 or more passing yards and a passer rating of 144.0, has the best passer rating in the league over the last five weeks? (Schaub was out one of those weeks — a loss against the Colts — because of an illness.)

Did you know that the Texans, and their recently-booed-at-home quarterback (he is 6-2 at Reliant Stadium, by the way) have the No. 2 pass offense in the NFL over their last five games?

Did you know that the Texans have the No. 1 offense in the league over the last five weeks?

Did you know the Texans have scored more points over the last five weeks than all but three teams?

OK, there are not many positive “did ya knows” for their raggedy defense — that’s why the Texans are just a “pretty decent” football team right now — but there is reason to believe that unit will improve in the second half of the season.

For the first time in franchise history the Texans have won three straight games, and they did it by a franchise-record 29-point margin, a full touchdown and two-point conversion more than they have ever won by.
Showing promise

You have to be careful getting too excited about their dispatching the less-than-enthusiastic Bengals bunch, the NFL’s bye week equivalent, but don’t let that ruin your daydreams. The most important numbers from the game are 35-6.

“It would be different if we started the season 2-0 and fell to 3-4; I’d be upset. But to start 0-4 and get here with three straight wins, it’s a great feeling,” said cornerback Dunta Robinson, who agrees with the pretty decent assessment, though he prefers the description “pretty damn good.”

Hold on there, Dunta.

Pretty decent teams can win consecutive home games over Miami, Detroit and Cincinnati.

A pretty good team (with a good offense) can go to Minnesota — which has averaged less than 16 points a game at home — and win. A pretty good team (with a good offense) can return home against Baltimore — which has averaged just over 16 points a game on the road — and win.

Might we look up in a couple of weeks at the won-five-in-a-row Texans and try to proclaim they are a pretty good team?

Remember when you looked down on the 0-4 Texans and thought they were a pretty bad team?

“We had a horrible first month, a bad first quarter (of the season), and we’re trying to battle out of that here in the second quarter,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “We’ve had a nice month here at home. We’ve got to go play a very physical, good football team on the road next.

“We’re trying to work our way out of it, and there is a long, long way to go.”

Yeah, a long way to go and a short time to get there, if they hope to do what most say can’t be done. (Playoffs?)

The defense needs to be better. Sunday was a start, as former Patriot Eugene Wilson saw his most extensive action, combining with new starter Nick Ferguson to give the Texans quite possibly their most intelligent play from a pair of safeties in their history.

Robinson is closer to being ready to resume his role as the team’s top corner. Fred Bennett was solid and, though that nutty back-and-forth between him and DeMarcus Faggins — a coaching ploy to get Bennett to focus better — hasn’t hurt as much as one would have expected, enough is enough.

Could the secondary actually be decent by season’s end, too? Imagine the damage Mario Williams might do up front if receivers are actually covered for a time.
Franchise at its best

Regardless, this group of Texans is closer to being a good team than any in the history of the franchise.

Andre Johnson is there. Perhaps the best receiver in the league. Steve Slaton is in the conversation of up-and-coming young running backs.

Heck, no one has called Child Protective Services to investigate that oft-abused offensive line in over a month.

And we’ve already discussed that possible star-to-be starting quarterback, who is closer to getting there than David Carr ever dreamed about.

Face it, your Houston Texans, with one of the best offenses in the NFL, are a pretty decent team.

Will the next stop be pretty good?

to21
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I can't believe I'm in the Texans thread......

At least Matt Shaub is holdn' down my fantasy team.

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I can't believe I'm in the Texans thread......

At least Matt Shaub is holdn' down my fantasy team.

LOL why not? I know your a cowboys fan but you guys dont have a reason to hate us.

to21
10-27-2008, 02:40 PM
LOL why not? I know your a cowboys fan but you guys dont have a reason to hate us.:lol I don't hate you guys....I support pretty much anything Texas.

After my Spurs, etc. lose

InRareForm
11-02-2008, 05:49 PM
well.. that sucks...

Dr. Gonzo
11-09-2008, 01:03 PM
It's Sage time!!!

Dr. Gonzo
11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Damn, I wish I was a Lions fan.

haha not really.

Dr. Gonzo
11-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Slaton!

Dr. Gonzo
11-16-2008, 03:18 PM
If the Texans had anything close to an NFL caliber defense, they would be one of the top teams in the NFL. But fuck, they probably couldn't stop the fucking Aggies.

Dr. Gonzo
11-16-2008, 03:21 PM
:pctoss

I don't know who sucks more, Faggins or Reeves.

Dr. Gonzo
11-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage sucks balls.

SpursFanFirst
11-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Sage sucks balls.

I actually think I feel bad for him... :(

Dr. Gonzo
11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Fuck him. He's pissed away two games against the Colts this season.

dirk4mvp
11-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Fail.

InRareForm
11-16-2008, 04:39 PM
TIvxqUCu41Q

J.T.
11-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Rosenfels is the MVP of the Colts. Without him, we'd be 4-6 and definitely out of the wild card chase.

Dr. Gonzo
11-23-2008, 04:07 PM

The Browns must really suck.

Dr. Gonzo
12-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Slaton is gangsta.

That is all.

InRareForm
12-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Glad we made a nice appearance for National TV.

ATRAIN
12-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Glad we made a nice appearance for National TV.

yeah for sure

Dr. Gonzo
12-03-2008, 09:37 AM

Texans 5-7
Chargers 4-8

ATRAIN
12-07-2008, 04:10 PM
DAMN 21 points off of turnovers...........we almost gave the game away but hell of a win at the end!!

Dr. Gonzo
12-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Nice offensive output, despite the turnovers. 549 total yards is very impressive.

benefactor
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
We won a game despite the usual foot shooting exercise. Schaub in that last drive shows why Rosencopter is the backup.

ATRAIN
12-08-2008, 11:51 AM
We won a game despite the usual foot shooting exercise. Schaub in that last drive shows why Rosencopter is the backup.

He sealed the deal. We should have Rosen be the qb in the first half since he always seems to do good in the beggining and then matt at the end since he can close and sage cant.

Spurminator
12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Looks like they're about to blow it against Tennessee. Two times in the red zone and only one FG, then two straight drives taking less than a minute off the clock. Not good.

dirk4mvp
12-14-2008, 04:05 PM
The Texans always find a way to screw themselves. They were looking good earlier.

Spurminator
12-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Jeff.

dirk4mvp
12-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Slaton is a stud.

MannyIsGod
12-14-2008, 04:18 PM
LOL These announcers are terrible.

ATRAIN
12-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Fuck You Tits!!! Hell Of A Game!!!

Dr. Gonzo
12-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Jeff Fisher should get the Texans game ball.

Bonehead move when they would've gotten the lead with a FG or a TD.

ATRAIN
12-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Jeff Fisher should get the Texans game ball.

Bonehead move when they would've gotten the lead with a FG or a TD.

LOL for sure. Now its possible for us to go 9-7. 2 Games up from last year and now that game against Jax in OT, those 2 losses to Indy we should have had come back to haunt us now. Our Def is playing better, but we still need a lot of help. What do you think we should target in the Off-season. I say a power back to compliment Slaton. Saftey help and DB help. Another DE to compliment Mario would be nice too.

Dr. Gonzo
12-15-2008, 10:13 AM
LOL for sure. Now its possible for us to go 9-7. 2 Games up from last year and now that game against Jax in OT, those 2 losses to Indy we should have had come back to haunt us now. Our Def is playing better, but we still need a lot of help. What do you think we should target in the Off-season. I say a power back to compliment Slaton. Saftey help and DB help. Another DE to compliment Mario would be nice too.

They definetly need another back to help out Slaton. As much as it pains me to say this, Ron Dayne would've been a nice compliment to him for the short yard situations. Fat motherfucker.

They really need some DB help. I think the DE spot is one of the smaller concerns for them. Bulman has been doing well and hopefully will improve this offseason. If they can get a decent D coordinator that knows how to blitz they will be alright. Rick Smith has to go. Without a doubt.

ATRAIN
12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
They definetly need another back to help out Slaton. As much as it pains me to say this, Ron Dayne would've been a nice compliment to him for the short yard situations. Fat motherfucker.

They really need some DB help. I think the DE spot is one of the smaller concerns for them. Bulman has been doing well and hopefully will improve this offseason. If they can get a decent D coordinator that knows how to blitz they will be alright. Rick Smith has to go. Without a doubt.

Yeah I aggree and I think Smith will be gone. LOL FUCKING Dayne......god dammit I soo dont miss that guy. Green is good for that situation but fucker cant stay healthy. Maybe we can draft a Lendell White type of smash runner. Yeah Bulman is servicable. IF Adibi can stay healthy he can really help out LB's out and compliment Ryans. Hey what was that bet you made with TSA?

Dr. Gonzo
12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah I aggree and I think Smith will be gone. LOL FUCKING Dayne......god dammit I soo dont miss that guy. Green is good for that situation but fucker cant stay healthy. Maybe we can draft a Lendell White type of smash runner. Yeah Bulman is servicable. IF Adibi can stay healthy he can really help out LB's out and compliment Ryans. Hey what was that bet you made with TSA?

I bet him $50 that the Texans would have a better record than the Chargers. I'm winning so far but I'm not going to talk shit yet.

Texans 7-7
Chargers 6-8

Chargers have Tampa and Denver while the Texans have the Raiders and Bears.

BSofA04
12-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I bet him $50 that the Texans would have a better record than the Chargers. I'm winning so far but I'm not going to talk shit yet.

Texans 7-7
Chargers 6-8

Chargers have Tampa and Denver while the Texans have the Raiders and Bears.
I like your chances. Texans are learning how to close out games and that makes all the difference. Happy the Texans are (finally) showing they are a good team.

Dr. Gonzo
12-21-2008, 03:54 PM
The quest for above .500 resumes right now.

I hope the Raiders are ready for a ton of Slaton and Johnson.

Trainwreck2100
12-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I hope the Raiders are ready for a ton of Slaton and Johnson.

If they ever get on the field

Dr. Gonzo
12-21-2008, 06:43 PM
These are the Texans I'm used to.

ATRAIN
12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
These are the Texans I'm used to.

Right when we are making positive strides this shit happens. I am glad they didnt show the game here in Austin. Im just happy I won my fantasy league. I was playing against Slaton but had Andre Johnson and neither did shit.

Dr. Gonzo
12-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Going 8-8 after starting 0-4 is pretty good. Not the 9-7 season I expected but they made strides this season. They are learning how to close out games. If only Sage wouldn't have pissed away the two games against the Colts. Fucker.

T Park
12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
If Schaub could stay healthy they would've been a 10-6 11-5 team and in the playoffs.

Draft and sign offensive lineman, and corners for the love of god.

Listening on the radio today, I guess all the defensive coaches are getting blown out.

Dr. Gonzo
12-28-2008, 10:45 PM
I think the line will improve significantly next season after 1 full season under Gibbs. I don't think they need any kind of major overhaul there. The secondary needs a huge kick in the ass. The LBs will be better if they are all healthy. Zack Diles and Adibi injuries hurt them but they are a solid group. I'm proud of what they did this season and look forward to see how they improve in the offseason.

T Park
12-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Well not just in blocking schemes but the line needs talent. Its needed talent for a while now and they haven't totally 100% addressed it, and iirc this draft is pretty deep at offensive line, so if I were Texan management, the first two picks would go to the BIGGESt needs, FIRST o line, second secondary. No doubt in my mind the first round pick should go offensive line.

J.T.
12-29-2008, 12:00 AM
So is the bet a push or does TSA win on the technicality of the AFC West being so god awful that 8-8 wins the division?

Trainwreck2100
12-29-2008, 12:11 AM
So is the bet a push or does TSA win on the technicality of the AFC West being so god awful that 8-8 wins the division?

IIRC it was a bet for who had the better record, not better season, so is probably a push

Dr. Gonzo
12-29-2008, 01:10 AM
It was for better record, not who advances further. It's a push.

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/12/30/texans.ap/index.html

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Texans fired defensive coordinator Richard Smith (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7041) and two other coaches Tuesday after Houston fielded one of the league's worst defensive units despite three first-round picks on the line.
The firings of Smith, secondary coach Jon Hoke and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin came after Houston finished 8-8 for the second straight year.
Houston's offense finished the year ranked third in the NFL, but the defense was 22nd, allowing more than 336 yards per game. Only five teams allowed more points per game than the Texans' 24.6. Houston's defense improved late in the season but didn't live up to expectations for a unit featuring 2006 top pick Mario Williams (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7750).
The other first-rounders on Houston's defense are lineman Amobi Okoye (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/8264) and Travis Johnson (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7192).
Smith came to Houston in 2006 after working one year as Miami's defensive coordinator. Before that, he served two seasons as the assistant head coach and linebackers coach for Detroit.
Hoke had been the Texans' secondary coach since the team's inception in 2002. Houston's pass defense ranked 17th and generated only 12 interceptions in 2008.
Franklin finished his second season with Houston. The Texans' 25 sacks ranked 27th in the league, though Williams was named to his first Pro Bowl.
"Obviously, it didn't meet expectations. In this business though, you can't be too surprised when something like this happens," Franklin told the Houston Chronicle.
Houston coach Gary Kubiak told reporters Monday that he planned to meet with team owner Bob McNair and begin evaluating all coaches.
"It's part of our job, part of our business," he said. "There's tough decisions to make, and like I said, I've got to get through this period and do a good job on my evaluations and do what's best for our football team as we move forward."
Kubiak said Monday he expected assistant defensive backs coach Ray Rhodes to return next season. He also hoped to retain assistant head coach Alex Gibbs, who mostly worked with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.
The Texans won five of their last six games, allowing only 18 points per game in that span. They held Tennessee to 281 total yards in a 13-12 win Dec. 14 and allowed only 294 yards against Chicago in the season finale, knocking the Bears out of playoff contention.
Houston's defense ranked 24th in 2007, but this year's sack total was down from 31 in 2007. The Texans ranked 23rd against the run (122.6 yards per game) after ranking 19th (114.1 yards) in the category last season. Kubiak said Monday that he had to look at the defense across the entire season, not just during the late surge.
Copyright 2008 Associated Press (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Hopefully they get a good D coordinator that knows how to blitz more than 6 times per game. Rick Smith was just terrible.

leemajors
12-30-2008, 03:26 PM
mangini and crennel are available.

Dr. Gonzo
12-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Those are all 3-4 coordinators. I think Frank Bush will get promoted from his assistant spot. I'm hoping they can keep Gibb on as O-Line coach.

benefactor
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Thank God. At least one Texas team recognizes where its real deficiencies are and tries to correct them.

Dr. Gonzo
01-08-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/)

MARINELLI MEETS WITH TEXANS
Posted by Mike Tunison on January 8, 2009, 1:38 p.m.
The latest leg of the Rod Marinelli post-epic fail tour is in Houston, where the former Lions head coach is interviewing for either a job as the Texans’ defensive coordinator or defensive line coach. The Texans are looking for replacements for Richard Smith and Jethro Franklin, who were both fired after the the regular season ended.

Marinelli, who has never served as a defensive coordinator in the league, but was a highly regarded line coach for 10 years in Tampa, has already interviewed with the Bears and the Seahawks about coaching jobs.

Dr. Gonzo
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
He doesn't have D-coordinator experience so I'm a little weary about that but he did an amazing job with the Bucs D-line back in the day as the D-line coach. I wouldn't mind having him on the staff.

Regardless of his 0-16 run with the Lions, he had those talentless bastards playing with heart.

Dr. Gonzo
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Looks like it was for the D-line coaching position. That would be great. I bet he would do really help Okoye and Mario's development. Maybe he would coach up Okam to be the run stuffer in the middle they need.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=HOU

Dr. Gonzo
01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
http://www.carolinagrowl.com/Read.aspx?Story=997
CHARLOTTE -- Has four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Julius Peppers played his final down for the Carolina Panthers?
I'm beginning to think he has.
Peppers' comments on Sunday as he left Bank of America Stadium for perhaps the final time left me wondering if he and his agent Carl Carey aren't trying to work out the NFL version of a sign-and-trade deal with the Panthers similar to what happened with Jared Allen last year.
That’d basically mean the Panthers would put the franchise tag on Peppers and then allow him and his agent to broker a trade with another team. While the Panthers would lose Peppers, leaving them with a huge hole at defensive end, they’d at least get some draft picks – presumably high and presumably more than one – in return as compensation.
You don't have to look back too for some precedence in this type of matter. Before the 2008 season, the Kansas City couldn't reach a long term deal with Allen, the NFL sack leader in 2007, put the franchise tag on him and then traded him to Minnesota for a first-round pick and two third-round picks.
For the Panthers that would be better than a whole-lot-of-nothing, which is what they’d get if they simply let Peppers walk as an unrestricted free agent.
To be clear, this is just speculation (since both sides aren't talking), but that would essentially be a win-win situation for both sides if Peppers truly doesn’t want to return to the Panthers, which his purposely vague comments the last two days have led everyone to believe. While the Panthers love Peppers, I’m not sure that love is reciprocal.
When asked if, ideally, he’d like to be back in Carolina next season, Peppers replied, “Ideally I want to be in the best situation possible for myself and this organization.
“I'm thankful for everything they’ve done for me and I don't want to leave them crippled or in a bad situation and I don't want to do that to myself either. So whatever works our best for both sides is what I'm comfortable with."
Crippled, huh? Works out for both sides, huh?
And how could Peppers not leave the Panthers crippled and have things work out for both sides?
A trade, of course.
Again, it's just speculation, but the Panthers would get picks and Peppers would get a new team and a new big fat contract.
Attempts to reach Panthers general manager Marty Hurney to discuss the matter were unsuccessful, but he doesn’t talk about contract negotiations as a form of policy.
Keep in mind the Panthers don't have a first-round pick entering this year's April's NFL draft. They gave that up to Philadelphia to get tackle Jeff Otah. You’d have to believe the Panthers would accept nothing less than a first-round draft pick in exchange for Peppers.
Of course, the Panthers would have the option to accept or decline any trade offer Carey brings to the table, and it’s unlikely if this were to come to fruition that he’d go anywhere in the NFC South. Peppers seems to like the Houston area, so the Texans are certainly an option. Imagine Peppers playing opposite former North Carolina State star Mario Williams?
If the Panthers don’t like the offer they can simply keep Peppers as their franchise player and swallow the $17 million cap figure next year.
Peppers said if he does get the franchise tag – which would have to come between Feb. 5 and Feb. 19 -- he wouldn’t take a hard-line stance and holdout.
"That's not how you do business," Peppers said.
As for the franchise tag, Peppers said, "The team has the authority to do that. That's the rules… It's not my decision. If they want to do that they have that within their power."
Peppers is coming off a career-high 14.5 sacks in 2009 after moving to right defensive end and had five forced fumbles. But he was non-existent in Carolina’s 33-13 playoff loss to Arizona.
The Panthers have been trying to lock up Peppers long term for more than 18 months now, but to no avail. They've offered him a contract, but he's balked at signing.
All of that makes you wonder, if it's not about money, as Peppers says, then what is it about? And is Peppers happy about returning to Carolina? And if he is, then why won't he come out and say he wants to be back?
On Sunday morning, Peppers talked about his future in vague terms.
"I want to win a Super Bowl," Peppers said. "That is the ultimate goal in this game. That is why we play. I want to be on a great team and be around great guys in a great organization. It's not about money. It's not about any of that kind of stuff. It's about being happy."

Dr. Gonzo
01-12-2009, 04:28 PM
There is validity to this article but an interesting idea none the less.

ATRAIN
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I was thinking that the other day, even though he is old he had a great season I say they go for it.

Dr. Gonzo
01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
He's not that old. He's 29. Some DE's play up until their late 30s.

Dr. Gonzo
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6208713.html
Texans hire Frank Bush as defensive coordinator

By JOHN MCCLAIN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

The Texans hired their senior defensive assistant, Frank Bush, as defensive coordinator today.
Bush's promotion wasn't a surprise. He was the leading candidate and the only one interviewed for the defensive coordinator position that became available when Richard Smith was fired after the season.
The Texans asked for permission to interview Washington assistant Jerry Gray, but the Redskins denied him the opportunity last week. Under league rules, teams can deny permission for any assistant under contract unless the interview is for a head-coaching position.
Don't be surprised if David Gibbs, who coached Kansas City's defensive backs for the last three years, is the new secondary coach. Gibbs, the son of assistant head coach/offense Alex Gibbs, interviewed for the job Monday. Gibbs coached Denver's defensive backs for four years. He also was defensive coordinator at Minnesota and Auburn as well as an assistant at Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas.
When Gary Kubiak was hired as head coach in 2006, Bush was his first choice to become the defensive coordinator, but Arizona wouldn't let him out of his contract. Kubiak promoted Smith, who had been hired to coach linebackers. In 2007, Ken Whisenhunt was hired to coach the Cardinals, and he allowed Bush to leave for the Texans. Bush has been in the NFL for 24 years as a player, scout and assistant coach. He was drafted by the Oilers in 1985 to play outside linebacker. He was a starter as a rookie, and when a congenital spinal defect forced him to retire, he moved into the scouting department. Bush spent 10 years with the Oilers before moving to Denver, where he coached linebackers, defensive backs and special teams. He was assistant head coach\linebackers when the Texans hired him from Arizona.

Dr. Gonzo
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Commentary: Former colleagues glad for Bush
Promotion by Texans good call, say other coaches
By JOHN McCLAIN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

Arizona defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast was working on his game plan for Sunday’s NFC Championship Game against Philadelphia when he found out Frank Bush had been named the Texans’ defensive coordinator.
Jacksonville defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was at home with his family in Virginia when he learned Bush had been promoted from senior defensive assistant.
Bush was linebackers coach and assistant head coach during his three seasons (2004-06) with the Cardinals. He worked closely with Pendergast, who has been their defensive coordinator the last five years.
“I think it’s a great hire, and I’m so happy for Frank,” said Pendergast, who has done an outstanding job with a Cardinals defense that has helped them come within one step of the Super Bowl for the first time. “I’m so happy he’s finally getting this well-deserved opportunity.
“I think Frank will be an excellent coordinator. He’s very organized. He has a great feel for the game. He knows what buttons to push to motivate his players.”
In developing a philosophy that has been influenced by a lot of great defensive coaches, Bush said one of the many things he learned from Pendergast was how to think outside the box.
In other words, don’t be afraid to experiment and take chances.
Playing safe can be dangerous.
Not afraid of new things

“When Frank was here, we weren’t afraid to try different things — different schemes and personnel groupings,” Pendergast said. “We didn’t want to play it safe.
“Frank helped me a lot. He’s creative. He’s got good ideas, and he knows how to implement them in a way the players understand.”
When Williams followed coach Jack Pardee from the University of Houston to the Oilers in 1990, Bush already had been a player and scout with the Oilers for five years. When Bush left the personnel department to coach linebackers, he worked with Williams under defensive coordinators Jim Eddy, Buddy Ryan and Jeff Fisher.
“Frank and I go way back,” said Williams, who has interviewed for defensive coordinator jobs with New Orleans and Green Bay since the season ended. “I watched him go from scouting to coaching, and I’ve seen him rise through the ranks.
“I’m fired up for him. I know he’s going to do a great job with that defense.”
Williams has been a defensive coordinator with the Titans, Redskins and Jaguars and a head coach with the Bills.
With Jacksonville last season, he saw the Texans twice and watched a lot of tape to prepare for them.
“They’ve got a good thing going there, and I think it was a good move for them to promote him,” Williams said. “Frank knows the players, and they know him. He knows their strengths and weaknesses.
“A new coach coming in would have to learn everything that Frank already knows. That’s definitely an advantage for them.”
Pressure in his blood

Williams is known as one of the most aggressive defensive coaches in the league.
Everything he does is built around pressuring the quarterback.
“I’m excited about the style Frank’s going to play because we both come from a pressure background,” Williams said. “Frank played that way as an outside linebacker (under Jerry Glanville). Then he coached that way as an assistant with the Oilers.”
After spending 10 years with the Oilers, Denver coach Mike Shanahan hired Bush to coach linebackers.
In his nine years with the Broncos, Bush won two Super Bowl rings.
“Frank understands every defensive position as well as special teams,” Williams said. “He’s played and coached in a variety of styles. He’s learned from a lot of outstanding defensive coaches.
“Now it’s Frank’s baby, and he’s going to do great. Let me tell you something: There are a lot of coaches around the NFL that are real happy that he’s getting this opportunity.”

Dr. Gonzo
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5099

The Texans named senior defensive assistant Frank Bushhttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5099#) as the team’s defensive coordinator on Tuesday, two weeks after Richard Smith was dismissed from the team.

Bush, 46, is entering his 23rd season in the NFL as a player, scout and coach. He spent the previous two seasons working primarily with the Texans' defensive line, including Pro Bowl defensive end Mario Williamshttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5099#).

"There's a sense of continuity," Bush said of his familiarity with the Texans' personnel. "We know these guys. We kind of know which buttons to push. We know what makes them tick. That part will give us a better chance of motivating these guys and getting them to go play.

"I’m excited; I’m extremely excited. It’s a great opportunity."

This is the first stint as a defensive coordinator for Bush, who has coached every position group on the defensive side of the ball during his career. Citing defensive minds such as Buddy Ryan, Greg Robinson and Jerry Glanville as coaches who have influenced his preferred style of play, Bush said he plans to bring a new identity to the Texans' defense.

"I just want guys that are attacking, that are aggressive, that play with a lot of passion, a lot of emotion and fly around to the football," he said. "By doing that, we can create turnovers and we can do some other things that can help our offense get the ball back."

Houston has ranked 24th or worse in takeaways in four consecutive seasons.

"We’re going to simplify so our guys can play faster," Bush said. "The faster that we play, the more times that we get big hits. The more big hits we get, the more times that ball will come out, and that's what we're going to try to do. We want guys to attack and be violent and create turnovers that way."

Bush was a college scout with the Oilers from 1987-92 before coaching the Oilers' linebackers from 1992-94. In nine seasons with the Broncos from 1995-2003, he served as Denver's linebackers coach, secondary coach and special teams coordinator. Bush was the assistant head coach/linebackers for the Arizona Cardinals from 2004-05.

A fifth-round draft pick of the Oilers as a linebacker in 1985, Bush was named to the NFL all-rookie team but suffered a career-ending injury one year later.

Texans head coach Gary Kubiakhttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5099#) had spent the past two weeks examining coaching candidates around the NFL, asking for input from Texans players as part of his search process. His request to interview Washington Redskins assistant Jerry Gray was denied by the Redskins last week.

Bush was the only candidate interviewed for the defensive coordinator position.

"Studying the guys that were out there, trying to go through things with (owner) Bob (McNair) and with (general manager) Rick (Smith), all my homework kept coming back to Frank," Kubiak said. "I just think that we've got something started here. We don't want to venture away from our 4-3 scheme and what we're doing.

"I love Frank's ideas and identity and what he sees us being as a defensive football team. I know he's a great teacher and a great motivator and a fit right away with the coaches here. I think we're heading in the right direction, and Frank keeps us heading in that direction."

I like that quote from Bush. I hated the way Smith would call games. No blitzing what so ever. I really hope they improve the defense. They have the talent up front and hopefully if they can get to the QB a little more it will make the secondary look less shitty.

Jacque fucking Reeves :pctoss

Dr. Gonzo
01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6220659.html

Texans hire Bills' Kollar to coach defensive line

19-year coaching vet was second to meet with team about position

The Texans have hired Long-time NFL defensive line coach Bill Kollar to replace Jethro Franklin, who was fired after the season.
Kollar, 56, has been Buffalo's defensive line coach the last three years. He also has coached the defensive line at St. Louis (2001-05) and Atlanta (1990-00). Kollar coached in Super Bowls with the Falcons (1998) and Rams (2001).
During his 19 seasons as a defensive line coach, Kollar has worked for head coaches Jerry Glanville, June Jones, Dan Reeves, Mike Martz and Dick Jauron.
In 19 consecutive seasons as the line coach with the Falcons, Rams and Bills, Kollar has worked for defenses that averaged 37½ sacks. The Texans had 25 sacks last season, and they've averaged 28 in Gary Kubiak's three seasons as coach.
Kollar was a first-round draft choice by Cincinnati in 1974. He played defensive tackle for eight years with the Bengals and Tampa Bay before retiring and entering the coaching profession with the Buccaneers.
Kollar was the second defensive line coach interviewed by the Texans, who were looking to replace Jethro Franklin, who has been hired by USC. The first was Rod Marinelli, who was hired by Chicago.

Dr. Gonzo
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-415/Gibbs-is-in-as-Texans-DBs-coach.html

Gibbs is in as Texans DB coach (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-415/Gibbs-is-in-as-Texans-DB-coach.html) http://assets.espn.go.com/profile/i/trans/icon_report_hi.gif (http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=afcsouthadmin&at=7&vid=1232068870750)

David Gibbs is the Texans' new secondary coach. He has a deal and things will be finalized by next week.
It's no big surprise as coach Gary Kubiak basically indicated at the recent press conference announcing Frank Bush's promotion to defensive coordinator that Gibbs had an offer.
Now he jumps from Kansas City to Houston, where he replaces Jon Hoke. He's likely to get some new personnel to work with through the draft and free agency.
Cornerback Dunta Robinson is a free agent and the team's top in-house priority. Several other defensive backs are set to become unrestricted free agents (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-414/Houston-UFAs-to-be.html) on Feb. 27.
The Texans will look to upgrade at safety and corner as well as for defensive line help for Mario Williams.
Gibbs' dad, Alex, coordinates the Texans run game as assistant head coach/offense. It's easy to make cracks about keeping it in the family, but I am told the younger Gibbs is a respected coach who understands how to make the back end of a defense work. He's got seven years of NFL experience with Denver and Kansas City.
However, the Texans still have openings for defensive line coach, strength coach and head trainer, and it would be good if the hires are not related to anyone on the staff and have no connection to the former lives of Kubiak and GM Rick Smith as part of the Denver Broncos.
The only candidate to interview for the D-line job so far that we know of is Rod Marinelli, the recently fired coach of the Detroit Lions. He's since been hired in Chicago as assistant head coach/defensive line.

Dr. Gonzo
01-20-2009, 02:48 PM
It looks like the defensive coaching spots are set. I like Bush as the coordinator but don't know enough about Gibbs or Kollar. Hopefully they can be good enough to make the defense above average. I think the more aggressive style Bush wants to bring in will be nice.

ATRAIN
01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
I hope we re-sign dunta and and wilson

ATRAIN
01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Steven who do you think we will re-sign? Also do you think its possible to get peppers?

Dr. Gonzo
01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I think Peppers is a pipe dream. I don't see him coming over although that would be great. Him and Mario as bookend DEs would be fierce. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dunte said he wants to retire a Texan. Hopefully he's not just talking shit and saying the right thins. He's a solid CB to have. I do think his injury from a couple of seasons ago kind of hindered him this season but I really do hope he gets all of his quickness and agility back.

ATRAIN
01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I think Peppers is a pipe dream. I don't see him coming over although that would be great. Him and Mario as bookend DEs would be fierce. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dunte said he wants to retire a Texan. Hopefully he's not just talking shit and saying the right thins. He's a solid CB to have. I do think his injury from a couple of seasons ago kind of hindered him this season but I really do hope he gets all of his quickness and agility back.

Yeah Im not getting my hopes up either but that would be bad ass if it happened. I see Dunta returning and I agree I see him getting back into the shape he has or almost back to it. Who is your fav Texan. I really want a Battle Red Mario Jersey.

Dr. Gonzo
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Chester Pitts FTW

Dr. Gonzo
01-29-2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6234774.html

Texans tight end Daniels added to Pro Bowl team

Third-year player to join Johnson, Williams in Honolulu

The Texans are sending a third player to the Pro Bowl.
Tight end Owen Daniels was named today to replace San Diego's Antonio Gates, who had to withdraw because of an injury.
Daniels will join receiver Andre Johnson and defensive end Mario Williams in Honolulu. Johnson and Williams were voted as starters after the season.
The third-year tight end out of Wisconsin caught 70 passes for 862 yards — both career highs — and scored two touchdowns

Dr. Gonzo
01-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Congrats to Owen Daniels. He is quickly becoming one of the best TEs in the league.

BSofA04
01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Much deserving for Owen Daniels. Now if only Slaton would get the nod over Marshawn Lynch, the world would be right.

ATRAIN
01-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Nice good job Owen

Dr. Gonzo
01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
It was a nice good job by Owen.

benefactor
01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Good to see OD getting some love. His name usually slips through the cracks when the pundits are mentioning some of the best TE's in the NFL, but there is no doubt that he is one. Congrats man.