PDA

View Full Version : MMA fighters (your own rankings)

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I think this will be fun, try and keep it clean remember these are our opinions.

IN order, who do you think the top 5 fighters are lb for lb?

5. Im really torn here. I think Rampage is a better fighter than Forrest even though Forrest beat him(in a close bout). Forrest did beat Shogun but Rampage beat a unstoppable Lidell and Hendo.

4. Urijah Faber -best at his division and very young and will only get better

3. Georges St. Pierre - Very disciplined, very humble, very focused. Earlier in his career he didnt seem as conditioned as he is now physically and mentally. He tore up the Matt Hughes who is considered the best welterweight ever by some. Then rebounded on a loss from Sera and gave him a new asshole. I don't see him losing to anyone in that division anytime soon. Still young and will only get better.

2. Fedor Emelianenko - LOL I know I wont hear the end of this but I have never been high on the big dumb oaf Sylvia and Fedor made beating him look easier than anyone else has. Fedor is a beast however but I think the next man im about to name is that unstoppable.

1. Anderson Silva - the man, the beast, the spider!! Wow is all I can say. The man is a Brazilian Muay Thai champion, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt and is just simply amazing in the ring. I don't see many flaws in his game and still think we havent seen all that he can do. His last loss was in early 06 and that was because of a disqualification (illegal kick). So basically in 5 years he hasnt tapped or been knocked out (Ryo Chonan by Submission - Flying Scissor Heel Hook).

Evan
07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I like your list.

1 Silva
2 GSP
3 Faber
4 BJ
5 Forrest (he beat Rua and Rampage and everyone makes excuses why)

Fedor misses out simply due to inactivity.

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I like your list.

1 Silva
2 GSP
3 Faber
4 BJ
5 Forrest (he beat Rua and Rampage and everyone makes excuses why)

Fedor misses out simply due to inactivity.

I was going to put Penn up at 5 but I think he is 6 on my list. I agree on Fedor but he is a monster but I think Arlovski can beat him :). hahaha ok well maybe not but Arlovski is my favorite HW. He is number 7 on my list because I don't count his losses to the big dumb oaf lol.

lebomb
07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
1 silva
2 fedor
3 gsp
4 huerta
5 forrest

LEONARD
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
1. Fedor - best HW ever and he's really a UFC LHW...
2. Silva - close to Fedor, but people forget he's lost a few times. His win at LHW helps his cause some...
3. Penn - has showed he can fight between 155 and 205...when he's in shape, he's the man.
4. GSP - his loss to Serra hurts (as fluke as it might've been) but Penn schooling him before gassing keeps him below BJ for me.
5. Faber - needs a challenge at 145 lbs.

Evan
07-25-2008, 01:54 PM
1. Fedor - best HW ever and he's really a UFC LHW...
2. Silva - close to Fedor, but people forget he's lost a few times. His win at LHW helps his cause some...
3. Penn - has showed he can fight between 155 and 205...when he's in shape, he's the man.
4. GSP - his loss to Serra hurts (as fluke as it might've been) but Penn schooling him before gassing keeps him below BJ for me.
5. Faber - needs a challenge at 145 lbs.

Silva's incredible activity compared to Fedor doesn't mean that much more to you?

cornbread
07-25-2008, 08:56 PM
"It looks like Leonard and I see it the same.

1. Fedor
2. Silva
3. Penn
4. GSP
5. Faber

2centsworth
07-25-2008, 09:30 PM
1. Silva- didn't he retire Rich Franklin? The latest bitch slap was hard.

2. Fedor- He's a bear, but need more.

3. GSP- Matt Hughes is nobody now because of this guy. Loss to Serra was rough, but in MMA expect at least 5 loses because it's too hard to recover when you're caught.

4. BJ Penn- A natural and he made Sherk look like a punk.

5. Forrest- Give him his due though I sense the fix is in with this guy. Shogun should have wasted this guy.

LEONARD
07-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Actually, Franklin has moved to 205 lbs...

and "the fix?" Jeez...

Silva's incredible activity compared to Fedor doesn't mean that much more to you?

Nah...it's just been a matter of circumstances really. Like I said earlier this year...give him through 2008 and then see where he's at. One down...he's about to go on a big run with AA next...

He's done what he's done while rarely being the bigger dog in the fight...that to me is what P4P is all about...

Silva is HUGE middleweight...

Evan
07-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Nah...it's just been a matter of circumstances really. ...

Doesn't matter why, it still happened.

But I see your point of view and that’s fine. To me activity is extremely relevant. I think the entire body of works counts as much as what they have done in the past 2 or 3 years.

djohn14
07-26-2008, 12:51 PM
5. Urijah Faber
4. GSP
3. BJ Penn
2. Fedor
1. Anderson

I found myslef actually considering other fighters only to realize some werent the best, only my favorites.

so here are my favorites...

5. Cain Velasquez (Mainly because its rare to see a HW with that kind of agility)
4. Urijah Faber
3. Rampage
2. Thiago Alves
1. Anderson Silva

Evan
07-26-2008, 01:15 PM
I can't wait to see Cain in 2 years.

dallaskd
07-26-2008, 01:33 PM
hmmm ill do everyweight class and a p4p. one moment please. i have to finish some work.

oligarchy
07-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Silva is HUGE middleweight...

Franklin was bigger, no?

cornbread
07-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Good idea djohn.

Here are my favorite active fighters:

1. BJ Penn
2. Fedor
3. Jacare
4. Thiago Silva
5. Toquihno

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
HW:

1.Fedor
2.Barnett
3.Nog
4.Werdum
5.Arlovski
6.Couture
7.Gonzaga
8.Sylvia
9.Kongo
10.Cro Cop

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
LHW:

1.Griffin
2.Jackson
3.Liddell
4.Machida
5.Wandy
6.Shogun
7.Sokoudjou
8.Jardine
9.Evans
10.Thiago Silva

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
MW:

1.Anderson Silva
2.Franklin
3.Henderson
4.Okami
5.Filho
6.Lindland
7.Mousasi
8.Jacare
9.Lawler
10.Marquardt

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
WW:

1.GSP
2.Fitch
3.Alves
4.Kos
5.Hughes
6.Shields
7.Sanchez
8.Condit
9.Parisyan
10.Nick Thompson

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 07:21 PM
LW:

1.Penn
2.Gomi
3.Aoki
4.JZ
5.Hansen
6.Alvarez
7.Kawajiri
8.Sherk
9.Sakurai
10.Ribeiro

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 07:23 PM
P4P:

1.Anderson Silva
2.GSP
3.Fedor
4.Penn
5.Faber
6.Gomi
7.Aoki
8.Henderson
9.Shogun
10.Rampage/Franklin

djohn14
07-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Good idea djohn.

Here are my favorite active fighters:

1. BJ Penn
2. Fedor
3. Jacare
4. Thiago Silva
5. Toquihno

O...I really like Palhares too. It will be fun to see him and Dan.

djohn14
07-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Good job Dallaskd...nice work!

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
We need to all get in the chat room and come up with "The Official Spurstalk.com MMA Rankings"

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
1 silva
2 fedor
3 gsp
4 huerta
5 forrest

who has huerta beat in the top 10? if your going to go LW at the number 4...aoki, gomi, penn, jz are all more worthy. judgement day will come for Hueta vs Florian and then BJ if he can beat kenflo.

Evan
07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
who has huerta beat in the top 10? if your going to go LW at the number 4...aoki, gomi, penn, jz are all more worthy. judgement day will come for Hueta vs Florian and then BJ if he can beat kenflo.

I'm going to take heat for this....

Huerta would take down Gomi, Aoki and JZ. The guy is smart, fast, relentless and talented. Many pick him to lose every fight and yet he still delivers

Gomi is highly overrated (I hate using that word) and inactive

Aoki is far too one dimensional

Cal he could easily hang with

dallaskd
07-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm going to take heat for this....

Huerta would take down Gomi, Aoki and JZ. The guy is smart, fast, relentless and talented. Many pick him to lose every fight and yet he still delivers

Gomi is highly overrated (I hate using that word) and inactive

Aoki is far too one dimensional

Cal he could easily hang with

Gomi is overrated and lost the fight to Diaz and is inactive so I get you there. Huerta could beat Aoki standing up but how long could he keep it there? He would get schooled the second it went to the ground. JZ would be a good fight but I think Calvacante would win based of the fact of how Guida dominated Huerta for the first 2 rounds. I would love to see Josh Thompson-Huerta. or even a motivated Gilbert Melendez. hell i just want to see him fight top LWs. something the UFC doesnt have.

and even if you think Huerta would take down the listed. no way is he #4 pound for pound over Shogun, Wandy, Penn, Machida...

Evan
07-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Gomi is overrated and lost the fight to Diaz and is inactive so I get you there. Huerta could beat Aoki standing up but how long could he keep it there? He would get schooled the second it went to the ground. JZ would be a good fight but I think Calvacante would win based of the fact of how Guida dominated Huerta for the first 2 rounds. I would love to see Josh Thompson-Huerta. or even a motivated Gilbert Melendez. hell i just want to see him fight top LWs. something the UFC doesnt have.

I think Aoki would get hit too many times before he got a good take down. Huerta would keep him at a good distance picking him apart.

Losing 2 rounds...It doesn't matter...the dude came from behind and won. I have seen far too many fights where aggressiveness and 'never gives up' mentality wins and Huerta has both at high levels.

Gilbert...that dude's head isn't on straight right now. He's out of the conversation for the immediate future.

Thompson. Interesting. I'm not sure what to make of him.

And I question you're assessment that the UFC doesn't have top LW's. I think their doing just fine.

Everyone on this list can be picked apart, especially Gomi and Aoki.

2. Takanori Gomi

3. Eddie Alvarez

4. Shinya Aoki

5. Joachim Hansen

6. Tatsuya Kawajiri

7. Gesias "JZ" Calvancante

8. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro

9. Mitsuhiro Ishida

10. Josh Thomson

The problem is everyone is scattered so its a dog chasing its tail argument.

But MMA is a talking sport. :toast

Evan
07-28-2008, 09:59 PM
And for "no way is he #4 pound for pound over Shogun, Wandy, Penn, Machida..."

Of course not.

LEONARD
07-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Not sold on Huerta yet...he wasn't doing well with Guida, even though he won in the end. Props for that...

The Florian fight will show us a little more, although I'm not totally sold on Kenny yet either...

I'm pretty beaten by rankings these days actually...too many variables and anybody can beat anybody really. Fighting on short notice? Injured? Tournament? (ie, Aoki was out of gas after his fight with Uno, while Hansen had a short fight with Gill)

dallaskd
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Not sold on Huerta yet...he wasn't doing well with Guida, even though he won in the end. Props for that...

The Florian fight will show us a little more, although I'm not totally sold on Kenny yet either...

I'm pretty beaten by rankings these days actually...too many variables and anybody can beat anybody really. Fighting on short notice? Injured? Tournament? (ie, Aoki was out of gas after his fight with Uno, while Hansen had a short fight with Gill)

and it doesnt help that Aoki was kicked in the balls.

LEONARD
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
True...fighting more than once in the same night changes everything...

Barnett lost to Crocop after a war with Nog just hrs prior...
Rampage lost to Wandy after fighting Chuck...

ATRAIN
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
We need to all get in the chat room and come up with "The Official Spurstalk.com MMA Rankings"

how would we do that by votes? Next PPV we should chat in up.

LEONARD
07-31-2008, 07:12 AM
http://mmamania.com/2008/07/30/top-10-mma-fighters-video/