PDA

View Full Version : If Cuban buys the Cubs will he sell the Mavs and will you then hate the Cubs?

41times
07-25-2008, 03:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tribune-cubs&prov=ap&type=lgns

urunobili
07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
If he sells the Mavs i may be more friendly with them

T Park
07-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Im a Cardinal fan and hate the Cubs already.

Him owning them would just be whipped cream on top of that shit sundae.

ShoogarBear
07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
http://jerseyshoeshop.com/images/categories/cwsoxlogo.jpg

Findog
07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Cuban aint selling the Mavs anytime soon. Owning the Cubs doesn't change that.

Das Texan
07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
unless things have changed fairly significantly....

cuban has zero shot of buying the cubs.

mrspurs
07-25-2008, 04:58 PM
i hate baseball period, hate is a big word..........

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I hate the Cubs already. Fuck them.

G-Nob
07-25-2008, 05:02 PM
So far Cuban has offered the most at 1.3 billion

Obstructed_View
07-25-2008, 05:27 PM
As long as the Spurs continue to own Mark Cuban I don't give a shit about anything else.

Mister Sinister
07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Im a Cardinal fan and hate the Cubs already.

Him owning them would just be whipped cream on top of that shit sundae.
:toast

NewJerSpur
07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
I haven't been into baseball as much this season, but noramlly when I am it's all about the Astros....screw the Cubs, Cardinals, and Brewers in that order. Have a nice day.

Das Texan
07-25-2008, 11:29 PM
the astros are one fucked up organization.

NewJerSpur
07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Yeah, Ed Wade is like the wishmaster....he grants your wishes (many fans screamed for more offense even at the expense of pitching so he traded for Tejada), but you ultimately pay a price as a result (worst record in the Central....a bleek looking immediate future).

Das Texan
07-25-2008, 11:35 PM
well the real problem is drayton mclane, but ed wade is a dumb fucking moron.

i mean this organization has fucked up their entire minor league system because of their owner and his cutting of corners. And he pissed of Hunsicker to where he left because of the same stupid owner.

Supposedly Oswalt would welcome a trade and Berkman is slowly warming to the idea of moving on to another team to be in a pennant race.

NewJerSpur
07-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't blame "The Wizard" or "The Puma" for abandoning ship...they've been loyal soldiers to the cause since their inception into the league and signed extensions with the club when the future was uncertain. You KNOW things are looking weary when Lance begins to think about bailing. Drayton needs more competent people around him that he allows to do their jobs and less yes men/women. Never thought I'd see the day the Pirates would spend the majority of the season in front of the Astros.

As far as the minor league system goes, Houston's P.R. people will try to put a positive spin on things overall by reminding the public that that's Wade's specialty and he's going to need some time to build things back up. Funny.

Das Texan
07-25-2008, 11:46 PM
well when you are cutting your scouting department even further because you are spending an extra 3.5 million on randy wolf and your system continues to suck then what do you expect.

kinda like last year when they failed to sign 3 of their top 6 picks because of their cheapness.

The Astros clubhouse is a total mess and thats the fault of a combination of people from cecil cooper to ed wade to drayton mclane. But most of the people in Houston I guess are still in this fantasy land after their success for the first half of this decade. I mean Pettitte had no intention of coming back there because of the idiot owner, thats why he is in New York again.

How did we get on this tangent anyway?

rj215
07-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah, Ed Wade is like the wishmaster....he grants your wishes (many fans screamed for more offense even at the expense of pitching so he traded for Tejada), but you ultimately pay a price as a result (worst record in the Central....a bleek looking immediate future).

:lol Yeah he used to be the GM of my Phillies and he's lucky he left town or the idiots from South Philly might have:hang

Plus Cuban might make the Cubs even more of a marketing monster if his own ego doesn't get in the way...

Findog
07-25-2008, 11:55 PM
As long as the Spurs continue to own Mark Cuban I don't give a shit about anything else.

How do the Spurs own Mark Cuban? We've owned your asses for 3 straight years.

NewJerSpur
07-25-2008, 11:55 PM
well when you are cutting your scouting department even further because you are spending an extra 3.5 million on randy wolf and your system continues to suck then what do you expect.

kinda like last year when they failed to sign 3 of their top 6 picks because of their cheapness.

The Astros clubhouse is a total mess and thats the fault of a combination of people from cecil cooper to ed wade to drayton mclane. But most of the people in Houston I guess are still in this fantasy land after their success for the first half of this decade. I mean Pettitte had no intention of coming back there because of the idiot owner, thats why he is in New York again.

:lol

I was thinking the same thing midway into my last post, lol. I haven't had the chance to follow the 'Stros as much but I have heard some negative things about the clubhouse this season. That's what happens when you also paste together a makeshift offensive "Juggernaut" that doesn't live up to the hype. I'll cut Cecil some slack because it's his 1st managerial spot in the pros and has been placed in a very odd situation in that the team is built to win now (minus the pitching) with the contracts they have taken on but isn't really winning; they can't really rebuild like they should be (even though they might have to much sooner than later). Besides I'd rather anyone than Phil Garner, lol.

You're on point with your other observations, although I feel that Andy never wanted to leave New York and was looking for the 1st excuse that would allow him to bolt while not taking a major P.R. hit.

As far as this strange tangent, the Cubs will always lead you astray, LOL.

johngateswhiteley
07-26-2008, 12:05 AM
i don't get the hatred with Cuban....some of you are ridiculous. dude is passionate, involved with the team and wants to win. who gives a fuck.

rj215
07-26-2008, 01:24 AM
i don't get the hatred with Cuban....some of you are ridiculous. dude is passionate, involved with the team and wants to win. who gives a fuck.

He hates San Antonio, both the city itself and the basketball team. Nuff said.

Das Texan
07-26-2008, 02:08 AM

:lol

I was thinking the same thing midway into my last post, lol. I haven't had the chance to follow the 'Stros as much but I have heard some negative things about the clubhouse this season. That's what happens when you also paste together a makeshift offensive "Juggernaut" that doesn't live up to the hype. I'll cut Cecil some slack because it's his 1st managerial spot in the pros and has been placed in a very odd situation in that the team is built to win now (minus the pitching) with the contracts they have taken on but isn't really winning; they can't really rebuild like they should be (even though they might have to much sooner than later). Besides I'd rather anyone than Phil Garner, lol.

You're on point with your other observations, although I feel that Andy never wanted to leave New York and was looking for the 1st excuse that would allow him to bolt while not taking a major P.R. hit.

As far as this strange tangent, the Cubs will always lead you astray, LOL.

Well basically from what I have heard is that Cecil has lost the clubhouse especially with the veterans because he got caught in a little white lie and hasnt earned back their trust to this point yet.

Its just a huge mess over there right now. And it starts at the top

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Who gives a fuck?
They're a national league team.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2008, 04:18 AM

:lmao :lmao 1 playoff series win in overtime of game seven? If winning a championship last year and going to the WCF this year is part of being owned by the Mavs, then I hope Mark Cuban keeps making ridiculous trades, paying lip service to defense and resorting to such dignified activites as city-smack.

Should have figured you'd rush to your boyfriend's defense. :rollin

Findog
07-26-2008, 11:54 AM

Look...it's a Spurs fan with perspective.

freemeat
07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
I hated the Mavs before I ever even heard the name Mark Cuban...

So I couldn't give a shit about the Cubs, either way.

Findog
07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
:lmao :lmao 1 playoff series win in overtime of game seven? If winning a championship last year and going to the WCF this year is part of being owned by the Mavs, then I hope Mark Cuban keeps making ridiculous trades, paying lip service to defense and resorting to such dignified activites as city-smack.

Should have figured you'd rush to your boyfriend's defense. :rollin

I didn't say anything about who has the bigger trophy case. The Spurs haven't had to go through the Mavs to get their last two titles. The Mavs have owned the Spurs in that period of time. So I was just asking how it is possible that the Spurs "own" the Mavs.

I should have figured logic is not your strong suit. :lmao

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 11:58 AM

cause he's a douche that said stupid shit and tried to manufacture a rivalry on his own when the games themselves were good enough for that.

Findog
07-26-2008, 12:04 PM
cause he's a douche that said stupid shit and tried to manufacture a rivalry on his own when the games themselves were good enough for that.

Bitter much?

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Bitter much?

Not really, i pity the mavs fans cause their team kinda sucks now.

Findog
07-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Not really, i pity the mavs fans cause their team kinda sucks now.

It's an up and down cycle. Your pity isn't needed.

Aren't you a virgin? I pity you.

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 12:10 PM
It's an up and down cycle. Your pity isn't needed.

Aren't you a virgin? I pity you.

Do you see your team going up in the future? Your C sucks and you don't have a legit 2 cause cubes overpaid for terry and Damp

Findog
07-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Do you see your team going up in the future? Your C sucks and you don't have a legit 2 cause cubes overpaid for terry and Damp

That may be true, but I don't get suicidal over my team. This is nirvana compared to the nineties.

It's just basketball, it's not life and death. I'm gonna get laid tonight.

Findog
07-26-2008, 12:17 PM
He hates San Antonio, both the city itself and the basketball team. Nuff said.

Ever heard of Andy Kaufman? Do you know what a heel is?

No offense to FromWayDowntown or duncan228, and about 15 others I'm forgetting to mention, but it does seem like the median IQ of a Spurs fan is around 74. You guys must have terrible public schools...

ShoogarBear
07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Man, who put the shredded wheat in Findog's cereal this morning?

Findog
07-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Man, who put the shredded wheat in Findog's cereal this morning?

The Cuban bashing gets old. I know it's a Spurs board, yadda yadda yadda...

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 01:02 PM
It's just basketball, it's not life and death. I'm gonna get laid tonight.

Nice to see that you and your boyfriend worked things out

Findog
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Nice to see that you and your boyfriend worked things out

Gay insults. How original and clever...

What I were gay? What's wrong with that?

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
What I were gay? What's wrong with that?

I'm happy that you and you're bf worked things out. Stability is fleeting these days.

Gay insults. How original and clever...

And the virgiin insults are new and innovative

Findog
07-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm happy that you and you're bf worked things out. Stability is fleeting these days.

It's a good thing I'm not, so I don't get a blanket party should I enter the SA city limits.

And the virgiin insults are new and innovative

Why does that bother you? Do you think if you act like a douchebag, you'll get kindness in return?

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Why does that bother you? Do you think if you act like a douchebag, you'll get kindness in return?

Findog
07-26-2008, 01:20 PM

I know you are, but what am I?

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 01:22 PM
I know you are, but what am I?

A smartass, not that there's anything wrong with being a smartass. Cause they're everywhere here.

angel_luv
07-26-2008, 03:08 PM
So far Cuban has offered the most at 1.3 billion

I can't wait until I have 1.3 billion dollars to spend to purchase a non necessity like a sports team.

Wow!

Slinkyman
07-26-2008, 03:22 PM
As a Cubs fan and Spurs fan i wish he owned both.

Biggems
07-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I hate the Scrubs already...the Crudinals....the Pilates....the Skewers...and the Dreds

GO LASTROS

BIG PUMA 4 NL MVP

The Truth #6
07-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Holt is a much more efficient owner than Cuban. However, as a person I think Cuban is much more interesting. Magnolia Pictures does cool work.

wisnub
07-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I didnt hate Cuban at first, he just crazy team owner who got nothing better to do than talking shit....but more and more his comments was irritating like shitwhore...so I begin to hate the dude. His comments about SA really piss me off. If he buys Cubs than i will not hate Cubs... as long he sold Mavs to somebody...I will not hate Mavs, I just didnt like JT and Stack,thats all...

jay014
07-26-2008, 07:54 PM
The Spurs haven't had to go through the Mavs to get their last two titles. The Mavs have owned the Spurs in that period of time. So I was just asking how it is possible that the Spurs "own" the Mavs.

:lmao

What happened?the last two title runs:hang

wisnub
07-26-2008, 08:09 PM
this kind of talk never ends...... Mavs is no longer a rival, since Devin left. I suppose Diop left too?? You may not agree with me, but judging these 2 years..i got nothing more to say.... Of course Mavs fans will defend their team as much as we do...

Obstructed_View
07-27-2008, 06:57 AM
I didn't say anything about who has the bigger trophy case. The Spurs haven't had to go through the Mavs to get their last two titles. The Mavs have owned the Spurs in that period of time. So I was just asking how it is possible that the Spurs "own" the Mavs.

I should have figured logic is not your strong suit. :lmao

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2007.html
Playoffs:
Lost NBA Western Conference First Round (4-2) versus Golden State Warriors

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2008.html
Playoffs:
Lost NBA Western Conference First Round (4-1) versus New Orleans Hornets

Yeah, it's somehow the Spurs' fault that they haven't been meeting the Mavs in the playoffs and I'm the one with a logic deficiency. I certainly hope the "ownage" continues as it has the past couple of years. :lol

Sissiborgo
07-27-2008, 08:32 AM
true

Findog
07-27-2008, 02:16 PM
What happened?the last two title runs:hang

The Spurs have a bigger trophy case. I can count. By the same token, the Warriors have owned the Mavs, but the Mavs have had more league-wide success. Warriors:Mavs as Mavs:Spurs.

Tell me again how the Spurs have "owned" the Mavs the last three years?

Findog
07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2007.html
Playoffs:
Lost NBA Western Conference First Round (4-2) versus Golden State Warriors

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2008.html
Playoffs:
Lost NBA Western Conference First Round (4-1) versus New Orleans Hornets

Yeah, it's somehow the Spurs' fault that they haven't been meeting the Mavs in the playoffs and I'm the one with a logic deficiency. I certainly hope the "ownage" continues as it has the past couple of years. :lol

The Warriors have owned the Mavs, but the Mavs have had more league-wide success. The Mavs have owned the Spurs, but the Spurs have had more league-wide success. Do you know what ownage really even means? It means head to head. I think you may be confusing us with that team in the desert that wears purple and orange. Arrogance and ignorance makes for a laughable combination.

OV, you are a typical Spurs fan: You play the four rings card when it doesn't apply and when you're losing an argument. Congratulations on your team's sustained excellence and success. Doesn't mean you have a fucking clue what you're talking about. Nice try, Charlie Gordon.

jay014
07-27-2008, 03:59 PM
but the Mavs have had more league-wide success. Warriors:Mavs as Mavs:Spurs.

Mavs can have their league wide success during the regular season. I'd rather have it in the post season. It shows something:lobt2:.

jayc23
07-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Go Cubs!!!!.. Fuck Cuban!!!

Obstructed_View
07-27-2008, 04:27 PM
The Warriors have owned the Mavs, but the Mavs have had more league-wide success. The Mavs have owned the Spurs, but the Spurs have had more league-wide success. Do you know what ownage really even means? It means head to head. I think you may be confusing us with that team in the desert that wears purple and orange. Arrogance and ignorance makes for a laughable combination.

OV, you are a typical Spurs fan: You play the four rings card when it doesn't apply and when you're losing an argument. Congratulations on your team's sustained excellence and success. Doesn't mean you have a fucking clue what you're talking about. Nice try, Charlie Gordon.

Explain to me where the ownage is:

Spurs vs Mavs since 2000 (full season):
Total games head to head
Spurs 31- Mavs 23
Playoff games head to head
Spurs 11 - Mavs 7
Playoff series
Spurs 2 - Mavs 1
Division titles
Spurs 5 - Mavs 1
Championships*
Spurs 3 - Mavs 0

It's really nice that you attempted to re-frame the conversation only to cover a time frame where the Mavs are preceived to have done well. Let's look into that one a little deeper, shall we?

Since 2005-2006 ("the OWNAGE era")
Total games head to head
Spurs 9 - Mavs 10
Spurs 3 - Mavs 4
Playoff series
Spurs 0 - Mavs 1
Division titles
Spurs 1 - Mavs 1
Championships*
Spurs 1 - Mavs 0

Since the teams appear to have an even record in the regular season during your cherry-picked timeframe, the only difference seems to be that one playoff series, which is basically overtime of game seven. So the Mavs beat the Spurs in a five minute stretch and suddenly they are the same caliber team as the Spurs. Puh fucking lease. And I'm not sure how the Mavs have had more league wide success than the Warriors; the Warriors have been to the second round in the last two seasons. The Mavs basically had one good year and suddenly that makes them superior to everyone else. Ridiculous as usual from you.

* championships "don't apply" because fans of teams that have never won one seem to think it's not a fair comparison of team success.

DPG21920
07-27-2008, 04:33 PM

Total games head to head
Spurs 31- Mavs 23
Spurs 11 - Mavs 7
Playoff series
Spurs 2 - Mavs 1
Division titles
Spurs 5 - Mavs 1
Championships*
Spurs 3 - Mavs 0

It's really nice that you attempted to re-frame the conversation only to cover a time frame where the Mavs are preceived to have done well. Let's look into that one a little deeper, shall we?

Total games head to head
Spurs 9 - Mavs 10
Spurs 3 - Mavs 4
Playoff series
Spurs 0 - Mavs 1
Division titles
Spurs 1 - Mavs 1
Championships*
Spurs 1 - Mavs 0

Since the teams appear to have an even record in the regular season during your cherry-picked timeframe, the only difference seems to be that one playoff series, which is basically overtime of game seven. So the Mavs beat the Spurs in a five minute stretch and suddenly they are the same caliber team as the Spurs. Puh fucking lease. And I'm not sure how the Mavs have had more league wide success than the Warriors; the Warriors have been to the second round in the last two seasons. The Mavs basically had one good year and suddenly that makes them superior to everyone else. Ridiculous as usual from you.

* championships "don't apply" because fans of teams that have never won one seem to think it's not a fair comparison of team success.

*Crickets*

Biggems
07-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Total games head to head
Spurs 31- Mavs 23
Spurs 11 - Mavs 7
Playoff series
Spurs 2 - Mavs 1
Division titles
Spurs 5 - Mavs 1
Championships*
Spurs 3 - Mavs 0

Total games head to head
Spurs 9 - Mavs 10
Spurs 3 - Mavs 4
Playoff series
Spurs 0 - Mavs 1
Division titles
Spurs 1 - Mavs 1
Championships*
Spurs 1 - Mavs 0

you sir are now banned from this thread....as proper and correct logic and reason, as well as cold hard facts, have no place in a debate with a Mavs fan.....

GO SPURS GO

Avitus1
07-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Cubs never play the Spurs so I could careless.

Spurtacus
07-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm posting this blind (meaning I haven't read the thread).

I hope Cuban stays as the Mavs owner. He's incompetent and I enjoy watching him cry like a school girl who had their doll taken away.

Man of Steel
07-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Bleacher Report: Mavs screwed if Cuban buys Cubs

(mentions Spurs)

If Mark Cuban Buys Chicago Cubs, Dallas Mavericks Are Done
by David Cohen (Columnist)4 comments485 readsJULY 25, 2008

The Cubs and Wrigley Field are for sale, and the first round of bidding was recently completed. Three groups have bid over a billion dollars for the entity, and the leader in the clubhouse is Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban. His bid of $1.3 billion trumps the field so far. The prohibitive favorite, John Canning, was endorsed by MLB Commissioner Bud Selig but did not make the cut.

The other two groups in the running are the founders of what is now TD Ameritrade and a sports holding corporation. The latter group involves a congressman and Henry Aaron. It is kind of like the group formation which allowed Jay-Z to be an owner of the New Jersey Nets.

Many Cubs fans are hoping and praying that Cuban wins out. His energy and commitment to his team is unmatched. Many Cubs fans believe he could elevate their team to a level above the curse, like John Henry did with the Red Sox. It has already reached the point where there is a website campaign: cubanandthecubs.com. (the picture for the article comes from them)

Fans in Dallas heavily endorse Cuban with good reason. The Mavericks were an NBA bottom feeder for years before he took over. In the 90s, the Mavericks struggled despite having talent like Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, Michael Finley, and Steve Nash. Cuban was a Mavs fan and decided to step in himself. On January 4th, 2000, Cuban bought the team.

And unlike the Washington Redskins and Owner Daniel Snyder, Cuban has brought on success with his favorite team.

In the first year of the Cuban era, the Mavs went 40-42. It was their best record since the 1989-1990 season.

The next year, the Mavs exploded. Dirk Nowitski became a household name. The Mavs went 53-29, finishing fifth in the Western Conference. Nowitski became the first Mavs player ever to earn All-NBA honors. The Mavs were finally capitalizing on their talent.

The year after that, the Mavs started the year 14-0 and tied for the league’s best record. They made the Western Conference finals but lost to the San Antonio Spurs.

Two years later, the Mavs were in the finals and up 2-0 against the Miami Heat. They had a 13 point lead going into the fourth quarter and were minutes away from a 3-0 lead. Then Dwayne Wade arrived and the Mavs lost that game and the next three games to blow the finals. The team was irreperably damaged.

The honeymoon in Dallas was over.

The next year, the Mavs went an outstanding 67-15 and won 52 of 57 at one point during the season. Then the playoffs started. The Golden State Warriors were led by Cuban’s nemesis in former Mavs Head Coach Don Nelson. Baron Davis and the upstart Warriors tore the hearts out of the seemingly unbeatable Mavs. They dominated the Mavs and won the series 4-2, becoming just the third team ever to beat a number one seed in the opening round. And they didn’t just beat them. They dismantled them. They won the four games by 12, 18, 14, and 25 points.

The psyche of the Dallas squad was absolutely shredded at this point. This is also when whispers began about Cuban thinking of selling the Mavs.

Last season, the Mavs clearly took a step backwards. In what looked like a last ditch effort, Cuban and the Mavs traded promising point guard Devin Harris and valuable future first round draft picks to the Nets for Jason Kidd. Kidd and the Mavs weren’t good afterwards and the Mavs lost in the opening round to another upstart team, the New Orleans Hornets.

The whispers of Cuban selling the team were getting louder.

Now Cuban is the front-runner to buy the Cubs. If Bud Selig and the other owners get over themselves, Cuban will be the next owner of Wrigley and the Cubs. What could separate Cuban from the other two groups are the renovations he would be willing to pay for the stadium. It is estimated the costs of renovating Wrigley Field are between $400 and $600 million. Cuban has already shown a creativity and brilliance in renovating the Mavericks and would deliver the same results with Wrigley.

Cuban as an owner is an amazing asset. His dedication to putting everything he has into his franchise is tremendous. He becomes part of his team. He can’t just sign the checks; he must be immersed in his club.

This is why Mavs fans better pray Cuban doesn’t win the Cubs.

Cuban is a wise businessman and understands that he cannot give his whole-hearted effort if he owns two teams in different parts of the country. He has proven he can pounce on an opportunity. That’s how he acquired his massive wealth. He can’t be the owner he feels he should be if he owns both the Mavericks and the Cubs. Especially with the length of the baseball season.

Cuban, if he seriously looks at it, might acknowledge privately that the Mavs window of opportunity has closed. With the Hornets, Lakers, and Blazers all young teams on the rise and the perennial Spurs now in their title year (their pattern is to win every two years), the Mavericks are in a tough spot. Either a drastic shakeup has to be made or they won’t make the playoffs next year.

Cuban wants to win and is looking for a chance to do so. He feels the Cubs might fill the void.

They are the ultimate challenge. They haven’t won in a century. Assuming the Cubs fall short again this year, Cuban could become a folk hero. If he were to lead the Cubs to a World Series and do it in quick fashion he would go down as one of the greatest owners of our time.

The Cubs themselves have a solid core of players. Zambrano and Harden could anchor the rotation for the next five years. Carlos Marmol could evolve into one of the game’s best closers in due time. The Cubs have a solid young catcher in Geovany Soto. They have several highly talented position players. They also have some up and coming talent in the minors, like recently called up pitcher Jeff Samardzija (who might be the best wide receiver playing in Chicago). The Cubs are much better equipped than the Mavs for a title run in the coming years.

The Cubs are just opening their window of opportunity. The Mavs will soon be going through the rebuilding cycle.

Cuban put the Mavs in position to win a championship but the players choked for him. It was out of his hands once his team went up 2-0 in the finals with a fourth quarter lead. Dallas and their core players are yet to recover from their collapse against Miami, and Cuban can't do anything to change their psychology.

Cuban basically has a choice to make. He can begin a long rebuilding process in Dallas. He could become a legend in Chicago.

The choice is his.

That $1.3 billion bid was his decision.

If Cuban does indeed buy the Cubs he will likely look into selling the Mavericks at some point within the next calendar year. He will make sure to sell the team to a reputable owner; he won’t sell the team to a Clay Bennett. The next Mavs owner will probably be smart enough to have some success.

But they will never be the same. David Stern will be celebrating, but there won't be a party in Dallas.

Sissiborgo
07-28-2008, 02:26 AM
I hate that guy and im not the only one haha

Findog
07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Bleacher Report: Mavs screwed if Cuban buys Cubs

(mentions Spurs)

If Mark Cuban Buys Chicago Cubs, Dallas Mavericks Are Done
by David Cohen (Columnist)4 comments485 readsJULY 25, 2008

The Cubs and Wrigley Field are for sale, and the first round of bidding was recently completed. Three groups have bid over a billion dollars for the entity, and the leader in the clubhouse is Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban. His bid of $1.3 billion trumps the field so far. The prohibitive favorite, John Canning, was endorsed by MLB Commissioner Bud Selig but did not make the cut.

The other two groups in the running are the founders of what is now TD Ameritrade and a sports holding corporation. The latter group involves a congressman and Henry Aaron. It is kind of like the group formation which allowed Jay-Z to be an owner of the New Jersey Nets.

Many Cubs fans are hoping and praying that Cuban wins out. His energy and commitment to his team is unmatched. Many Cubs fans believe he could elevate their team to a level above the curse, like John Henry did with the Red Sox. It has already reached the point where there is a website campaign: cubanandthecubs.com. (the picture for the article comes from them)

Fans in Dallas heavily endorse Cuban with good reason. The Mavericks were an NBA bottom feeder for years before he took over. In the 90s, the Mavericks struggled despite having talent like Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, Michael Finley, and Steve Nash. Cuban was a Mavs fan and decided to step in himself. On January 4th, 2000, Cuban bought the team.

And unlike the Washington Redskins and Owner Daniel Snyder, Cuban has brought on success with his favorite team.

In the first year of the Cuban era, the Mavs went 40-42. It was their best record since the 1989-1990 season.

The next year, the Mavs exploded. Dirk Nowitski became a household name. The Mavs went 53-29, finishing fifth in the Western Conference. Nowitski became the first Mavs player ever to earn All-NBA honors. The Mavs were finally capitalizing on their talent.

The year after that, the Mavs started the year 14-0 and tied for the league’s best record. They made the Western Conference finals but lost to the San Antonio Spurs.

Two years later, the Mavs were in the finals and up 2-0 against the Miami Heat. They had a 13 point lead going into the fourth quarter and were minutes away from a 3-0 lead. Then Dwayne Wade arrived and the Mavs lost that game and the next three games to blow the finals. The team was irreperably damaged.

The honeymoon in Dallas was over.

The next year, the Mavs went an outstanding 67-15 and won 52 of 57 at one point during the season. Then the playoffs started. The Golden State Warriors were led by Cuban’s nemesis in former Mavs Head Coach Don Nelson. Baron Davis and the upstart Warriors tore the hearts out of the seemingly unbeatable Mavs. They dominated the Mavs and won the series 4-2, becoming just the third team ever to beat a number one seed in the opening round. And they didn’t just beat them. They dismantled them. They won the four games by 12, 18, 14, and 25 points.

The psyche of the Dallas squad was absolutely shredded at this point. This is also when whispers began about Cuban thinking of selling the Mavs.

Last season, the Mavs clearly took a step backwards. In what looked like a last ditch effort, Cuban and the Mavs traded promising point guard Devin Harris and valuable future first round draft picks to the Nets for Jason Kidd. Kidd and the Mavs weren’t good afterwards and the Mavs lost in the opening round to another upstart team, the New Orleans Hornets.

The whispers of Cuban selling the team were getting louder.

Now Cuban is the front-runner to buy the Cubs. If Bud Selig and the other owners get over themselves, Cuban will be the next owner of Wrigley and the Cubs. What could separate Cuban from the other two groups are the renovations he would be willing to pay for the stadium. It is estimated the costs of renovating Wrigley Field are between $400 and $600 million. Cuban has already shown a creativity and brilliance in renovating the Mavericks and would deliver the same results with Wrigley.

Cuban as an owner is an amazing asset. His dedication to putting everything he has into his franchise is tremendous. He becomes part of his team. He can’t just sign the checks; he must be immersed in his club.

This is why Mavs fans better pray Cuban doesn’t win the Cubs.

Cuban is a wise businessman and understands that he cannot give his whole-hearted effort if he owns two teams in different parts of the country. He has proven he can pounce on an opportunity. That’s how he acquired his massive wealth. He can’t be the owner he feels he should be if he owns both the Mavericks and the Cubs. Especially with the length of the baseball season.

Cuban, if he seriously looks at it, might acknowledge privately that the Mavs window of opportunity has closed. With the Hornets, Lakers, and Blazers all young teams on the rise and the perennial Spurs now in their title year (their pattern is to win every two years), the Mavericks are in a tough spot. Either a drastic shakeup has to be made or they won’t make the playoffs next year.

Cuban wants to win and is looking for a chance to do so. He feels the Cubs might fill the void.

They are the ultimate challenge. They haven’t won in a century. Assuming the Cubs fall short again this year, Cuban could become a folk hero. If he were to lead the Cubs to a World Series and do it in quick fashion he would go down as one of the greatest owners of our time.

The Cubs themselves have a solid core of players. Zambrano and Harden could anchor the rotation for the next five years. Carlos Marmol could evolve into one of the game’s best closers in due time. The Cubs have a solid young catcher in Geovany Soto. They have several highly talented position players. They also have some up and coming talent in the minors, like recently called up pitcher Jeff Samardzija (who might be the best wide receiver playing in Chicago). The Cubs are much better equipped than the Mavs for a title run in the coming years.

The Cubs are just opening their window of opportunity. The Mavs will soon be going through the rebuilding cycle.

Cuban put the Mavs in position to win a championship but the players choked for him. It was out of his hands once his team went up 2-0 in the finals with a fourth quarter lead. Dallas and their core players are yet to recover from their collapse against Miami, and Cuban can't do anything to change their psychology.

Cuban basically has a choice to make. He can begin a long rebuilding process in Dallas. He could become a legend in Chicago.

The choice is his.

That $1.3 billion bid was his decision.

If Cuban does indeed buy the Cubs he will likely look into selling the Mavericks at some point within the next calendar year. He will make sure to sell the team to a reputable owner; he won’t sell the team to a Clay Bennett. The next Mavs owner will probably be smart enough to have some success.

But they will never be the same. David Stern will be celebrating, but there won't be a party in Dallas.

That may be the worst article I've ever read, and not because of the choking references. I'm not sensitive like that. Turgid, turgid writing, and that guy hasn't done his homework. Cuban isn't selling the Mavs regardless of what happens with the Cubs.

Why did you post this?

Findog
07-28-2008, 09:35 AM

It's really nice that you attempted to re-frame the conversation only to cover a time frame where the Mavs are preceived to have done well

I didn't reframe anything. This was my initial post on the subject

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2686935&postcount=28

"The Spurs haven't had to go through the Mavs to get their last two titles. The Mavs have owned the Spurs in that period of time."

You're the one reframing to cover the fact that you didn't know what you were talking about. If you want to go back to the Twin Towers era, or earlier in the nineties when the Mavs sucked ass, then, of course, the Spurs have owned the Mavs historically. All you're doing now is changing the argument to compensate for the fact that you lost the previous one.

Since the teams appear to have an even record in the regular season during your cherry-picked timeframe, the only difference seems to be that one playoff series, which is basically overtime of game seven.

That series ends in six games if JET wasn't so fond of Finley's junk. The Spurs were lucky to get it to a Game 7. The Mavs were not eons above the Spurs that year, but they were decisively better head to head than San Antonio during a period that lasted from the beginning of the 05-06 season to the Kidd trade.

So the Mavs beat the Spurs in a five minute stretch and suddenly they are the same caliber team as the Spurs.

Head to Head they had the Spurs number. I never said anything about them having the same amount of hardware. Pay attention! You are arguing something completely different. You can do better OV, I know you can!

We won something like 9 out of 14 games head to head including the playoff series until the Kidd trade.

And I'm not sure how the Mavs have had more league wide success than the Warriors; the Warriors have been to the second round in the last two seasons.

Uh, the Mavs have won far more games and they have a Finals appearance. I'm not saying you should like the Mavs, we're rivals and all, but the irrational smack just makes you look stupid.

championships "don't apply" because fans of teams that have never won one seem to think it's not a fair comparison of team success

You claimed that the Spurs have *owned* the Mavs. If you were referring all the way back to 1980, or just since 2001 when Cuban bought the team, you'd be on a bit firmer footing. I said that the Mavs have owned the Spurs since 2005. I didn't say anything about who has more championships.

Let's sum up the argument so far:

OV: "A = Z."

Findog: "No, A = A. In fact, A is just about as far away from Z as you can possibly get. Here's a link to the alphabet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet

OV: "No, A = Z, because (insert irrelevant non-sequitur here).

Findog: "I'm sorry, but you seem to have a comprehension problem, or you may just be trying to twist mine to make your own woefully inadequate explanation seem better."

OV: "FOUR RINGS!"

Findog: sadly shakes head...

Findog
07-28-2008, 09:42 AM
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=525

“I have no intentions of selling the Mavs. Cubs or not,’’ says Cuban.

Obstructed_View
07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Little refresher for you:

Today's date: July 28, 2008.
Date three years ago, july 28, 2005
Spurs' record against Dallas during that time: 9-10

:lmao :lmao 1 playoff series win in overtime of game seven?

The Spurs haven't had to go through the Mavs to get their last two titles. The Mavs have owned the Spurs in that period of time.

Yeah, it's somehow the Spurs' fault that they haven't been meeting the Mavs in the playoffs and I'm the one with a logic deficiency.

The Mavs have owned the Spurs, but the Spurs have had more league-wide success.

Points out that Mavs have 1 game over .500 record against San Antonio during cherry-picked timeframe.

That series ends in six games if JET wasn't so fond of Finley's junk. The Spurs were lucky to get it to a Game 7.
Refuting stats with ifs and buts smacks of desperation.

We won something like 9 out of 14 games head to head including the playoff series until the Kidd trade.
See "3 straight years" quote and refer to "reframing", because this is the second attempt. I'll spot you the next one: The Mavs won 3 out of 4 in 2007. If the Spurs hadn't won 3 out of 4 in 2008 then you might almost have a case.

You claimed that the Spurs have *owned* the Mavs.
Actually, I claimed that the Spurs have owned Mark Cuban, which is evidenced by his inability to control his emotions when it comes to the team, but the Spurs have quite clearly owned the Mavericks in that same time frame.

If you were referring all the way back to 1980, or just since 2001 when Cuban bought the team, you'd be on a bit firmer footing.
The stats I posted clearly show that my original statement was referring to the time that Mark Cuban has been with the Mavericks, so I'm not sure why you are mentioning 1980 except to distract from your huge failure in this thread.

I said that the Mavs have owned the Spurs since 2005.
Not only was the above in response to my statement, making it completely irrelevant, but it was proved completely and totally incorrect numerous times, and when faced with it you tried a second time to re-frame it, tried talking about Terry being suspended and the Spurs being lucky, and lastly, you implied that I've ever mentioned that the Spurs have won four championships, something I have not done in this thread at any time.

Do you know what ownage really even means?
Sure I do. If you have any questions, just read this post over again. There's also a pretty good example of "self-ownage" by you. Thanks for the bonus.

Findog
07-28-2008, 08:16 PM
blah blah blah my butt hurts blah blah blah stop being mean to me blabbity blabbity fuckity blah

Poow wittle Obstructed View...

Sure I do. If you have any questions, just read this post over again. There's also a pretty good example of "self-ownage" by you. Thanks for the bonus.

Just like the Spurs have "owned" the Mavs the past three years.

mavs>spurs2
07-28-2008, 08:48 PM
This is a retarded argument. You both fail

Obstructed_View
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm too stupid to even know when I've been humilitated time and time again, so I'll just keep posting. Perhaps I'll suggest you said something that you didn't actually say.

Wait for it...

Just like the Spurs have "owned" the Mavs the past three years.

Thanks for playing.

G-Nob
08-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Report: Cuban "lead guy" to buy Cubs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-03-cubs-brite-chicagoaug03,0,5437416.story

Sissiborgo
08-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I hate everything cuban HAS!:nope

Findog
08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Wait for it...

Thanks for playing.

Whoah, when did this get bumped?

Watch for Obstructed View, he needs to have the last word so he'll think he "won" this exchange.