PDA

View Full Version : Its Officially been 1 month...

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Since ive had an alcoholic drink. For the last 10 yrs or so i prob averaged about 8-10 light beers a night.(sometimes 18-20) 6 weeks ago i started having strange chest pains. Not really pains but tightness in the chest and back. Well, 4 weeks ago it was so strange couldnt sleep for two days and in a moment of clarity I asked myself "why do you do this, what is it doing for you". The only thing i could think of as far as the connection between the tightness in my chest and the beer was that it was thinning out my blood alot. I dont know if there was a connection, but i can tell you i havent had any tightness or strange feelings in my chest since. Anyway my friends and family dont know what to think about me not drinkin beer, but are proud at the same time.(i was prob more fun when i was drinkin beer) They keep askin if its perminant and i dont really know what to say. I end up tellin everyone that "im just seeing how long i can go". Thing is, its not hard on me at all. I dont have cravings,dont mind being around people that are drinkin and as far as i know , havent had withdrawls of any kind. Hell theres a 12 pack of keystone in my fridge right now. I see it everytime i grab somethin and the thought never crosses my mind. Somehow i think i managed to either A) scare myself outta wanting to drink or B) somehow mentally turned myself off to the idea. I dunno its weird but i do feel kinda proud of myself. That is all

duncan228
07-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Congrats. It sounds like you were just done with it. I'm glad the chest pains stopped. Good luck continuing to stay away from it.

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Congrats. It sounds like you were just done with it. I'm glad the chest pains stopped. Good luck continuing to stay away from it.

thanks alot 228 :toast :lol

Pistons < Spurs
07-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Good for you man! Congrats.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Good job take it day by day that's all you can do.Don't take this the wrong way but you must have a pretty good boiler from all that beer.

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Tomorrow will be 5 weeks for me.

Keep up the good work.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Damn this is like an AA meeting who wants a cup of coffee :wakeup

samikeyp
07-25-2008, 09:47 PM
congrats to you and midge.

duncan228
07-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Nice. I admire the willpower you guys have. Keep it up.

I. Hustle
07-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Good job guys. I don't drink enough to have a problem with quitting so I can't exactly know what you felt like but I do know what a horrible hangover and stomach pain a couple of bottles of jagr with friends brings

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Congrats, man. :tu :toast

I've been off of it for 16 years. :bking

I. Hustle
07-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Damn you guys make me want to drink more so I can quit too

The sone
07-25-2008, 11:15 PM
thats a heavy monkey...

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Good job take it day by day that's all you can do.Don't take this the wrong way but you must have a pretty good boiler from all that beer.

if you mean beer belly, it was kinda nice before but 6' 185 is about the heaviest i got so it was barely pokin out. youd be amazed how fast it goes away too. feelin all sexy n shi

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Keep up the good work.

congrats to both of you too

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-25-2008, 11:47 PM
it sucks they have to put 0.5% alcohol in O'dules
i had a couple the other night and felt like i was cheating

can a man get a real NA brew up in here

Vinnie_Johnson
07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
if you mean beer belly, it was kinda nice before but 6' 185 is about the heaviest i got so it was barely pokin out. youd be amazed how fast it goes away too. feelin all sexy n shi

You sound like you have my body type I am 6-0 and 182. I was just wondering about the beer every night thing it seems like it gave a few friends of mine this rock hard beer belly. Glad you were able to stop so easy are you working out or anything with your extra time?

Vinnie_Johnson
07-25-2008, 11:54 PM
it sucks they have to put 0.5% alcohol in O'dules
i had a couple the other night and felt like i was cheating

can a man get a real NA brew up in here

That and it tastes like crap.

tp2021
07-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Hell theres a 12 pack of keystone in my fridge right now. I see it everytime i grab somethin and the thought never crosses my mind.

Is it really that hard to say no to Keystone? :lol

Congratulations on the sobriety. To your improved health. :toast

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 12:00 AM
You sound like you have my body type I am 6-0 and 182. I was just wondering about the beer every night thing it seems like it gave a few friends of mine this rock hard beer belly. Glad you were able to stop so easy are you working out or anything with your extra time?

i play ball out in the street for an hour or so about 4 times a week
i find its the best/most rewarding way to stay in shape
neighbors prolly think im nuts though, runnin drills n shit

That and it tastes like crap.

IMO sharps is better, but only ice cold of course
i havent had a sharps since i stopped,but pretty sure its .5% as well

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 12:05 AM

Congratulations on the sobriety. To your improved health. :toast

:lmao i know what you mean , only because so many people disagree with the notion that keystone light is the most tasty bev ever created :lmao

seriously keystone every night since i was about 19
never liked wine, liquor was always to much and it had to be light beer cause i liked to drink so many of them. if i drank 18 budwiesers in one night id be droppin chemical bombs for days

Vinnie_Johnson
07-26-2008, 12:06 AM
i play ball out in the street for an hour or so about 4 times a week
i find its the best/most rewarding way to stay in shape
neighbors prolly think im nuts though, runnin drills n shit

IMO sharps is better, but only ice cold of course
i havent had a sharps since i stopped,but pretty sure its .5% as well

I think it's just one of those things I gave up caffeine one year for lent after like 30 something day I had a decaf coffee at starbucks it sucked bad I couldn't even finish it.

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I think it's just one of those things I gave up caffeine one year for lent after like 30 something day I had a decaf coffee at starbucks it sucked bad I couldn't even finish it.

That happens with soda too, I gave it up for awhile, and now i can't finish a 20oz coke.

Vinnie_Johnson
:lmao i know what you mean , only because so many people disagree with the notion that keystone light is the most tasty bev ever created :lmao

seriously keystone every night since i was about 19
never liked wine, liquor was always to much and it had to be light beer cause i liked to drink so many of them. if i drank 18 budwiesers in one night id be droppin chemical bombs for days

Did 10 or 12 keystones even give you a buzz?

HighLowLobForBig-50

:lmao

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Did 10 or 12 keystones even give you a buzz?

no, not unless i was takin em to the dome pretty fast. moreso like a sleep aid
18-20 though was usually a fun time

marini martini
07-26-2008, 12:29 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmaoThat Bottomtooth! Didn't he just turn 16????:lmao:lmao:lmao

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 12:33 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmaoThat Bottomtooth! Didn't he just turn 16????:lmao:lmao:lmao

:lol

tp2021
07-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Well if thats the case, I've been off it for 18 years.:bking
take THAT, Bottomtooth!

marini martini
07-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Well if thats the case, I've been off it for 18 years.:bking
take THAT, Bottomtooth!

Congrats! Stay strong!!!!

And you too, HiLow!!!!!!!!!!

Leetonidas
07-26-2008, 01:15 AM

What kind of teenager are you dude?

Viva Las Espuelas
07-26-2008, 01:30 AM
here's to your sobriety
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Helles_im_Glas-Helles_%28pale_beer%29.jpg

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 01:33 AM

marini martini
07-26-2008, 02:08 AM

So now what do we call you? StraightLow, BorringLow, AAsquaredawayLow?

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 02:30 AM
So now what do we call you? StraightLow, BorringLow, AAsquaredawayLow?

HighLow will still do :smokin

Trainwreck2100
07-26-2008, 02:32 AM
What kind of teenager are you dude?

I didn't have my first beer till 20 and i turned out like shit

mrsmaalox
07-26-2008, 02:34 AM

No you didn't. You just haven't drank enough yet.

marini martini
07-26-2008, 02:44 AM
No you didn't. You just haven't drank enough yet.

:nope

troublemaker:lol

Clandestino
07-26-2008, 06:49 AM
My dad had to give up alcohol for health reasons. He drinks Busch NA. It is really hard to find though. He says it tastes just like regular beer.

Richard Cranium
07-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Good job guys. Now that it is after 7am I'm heading to HEB for a 12-pack.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-26-2008, 10:54 AM
:lol at the top half of this page.

remingtonbo2001
07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Keep it up HighLow. :tu

ShoogarBear
07-26-2008, 11:06 AM

:lol He's 16 years old.

EDIT: WTF is this with me sucking hind tit all the time these days?

ShoogarBear
07-26-2008, 11:10 AM
As for the chest pains, despite what you've probably heard about the cardiac protective effectives of modest wine drinking, some people can develop hypertension and heart disease from alcohol ingestion. I doubt that's actually what was going on with you, but another reason to lay off if you've been overdoing it.

Heath Ledger
07-26-2008, 02:26 PM
This has to be JT or one of his relatives joshing us..

Leetonidas
07-26-2008, 02:41 PM

It's because you need to start smoking weed first.

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 05:20 PM
My dad had to give up alcohol for health reasons. He drinks Busch NA. It is really hard to find though. He says it tastes just like regular beer.

so i guess the .5% alcohol doesnt bother him? good to know

Good job guys. Now that it is after 7am I'm heading to HEB for a 12-pack.

awesome

you have to stick with it now that you've announced your sobriety to the entire forum

don't pull a T Park
i plan on it

Keep it up HighLow. :tu
thank you sir

As for the chest pains, despite what you've probably heard about the cardiac protective effectives of modest wine drinking, some people can develop hypertension and heart disease from alcohol ingestion. I doubt that's actually what was going on with you, but another reason to lay off if you've been overdoing it.
ill tell my bro that. he loves the wine and talks about it being good for you all the time

This has to be JT or one of his relatives joshing us..
no but i thought about JTs thread when i posted

Fillmoe
07-26-2008, 05:21 PM
ull be drinking again next month

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 05:22 PM
ull be drinking again next month

i consider that a challenge
thanks for the extra motivation Fill :toast

Fillmoe
07-26-2008, 05:29 PM
no problem..

stay clean my man!

ShoogarBear
07-26-2008, 05:34 PM
ill tell my bro that. he loves the wine and talks about it being good for you all the time

Red wine does appear to have some benefits when taken IN MODERATION (1-2 glasses per day). But it's probably the same as you'd get from eating grapes.

More than 1-2 glasses of wine per day and the bad probably outweighs the good.

07-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Red wine does appear to have some benefits when taken IN MODERATION (1-2 glasses per day). But it's probably the same as you'd get from eating grapes.

More than 1-2 glasses of wine per day and the bad probably outweighs the good.

1-2 glasses of wine just pisses me off.

There's a reason a bottle of wine has 4 glasses in it.

Oh, and HiLo, you put a dollar figure to how much you've saved this month by not drinking?

ShoogarBear
07-26-2008, 05:43 PM

So you don't drink alone.

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-26-2008, 05:56 PM
1-2 glasses of wine just pisses me off.

Oh, and HiLo, you put a dollar figure to how much you've saved this month by not drinking?

yeah i did. keystone is pretty cheap though. like $7.50 for a 12 pack so about $225 iv saved. that of course is an average. some nights would be only 8-9 brews but some would be 20+

atxrocker
07-27-2008, 01:59 PM
hmm.. they say you can't trust a man who doesn't drink. also, i would have quit a long time ago if i was drinking keystone on a regular basis.

HighLowLobForBig-50
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
over 11 weeks with no problems
it sucks to think about how messed up i would get on the daily
how are my sober buddies doin, Bottomtooth?:lol

Evan
09-15-2008, 06:52 PM
bad ass dude...don't get cocky.

HighLowLobForBig-50
09-15-2008, 08:19 PM
bad ass dude...don't get cocky.

didnt mean to come off cocky
its just that days like today i think, how long has it been again?
the desire to drink alcohol is gone and i cant explain how much it was like a light switch being turned on. if my buddies wanna foos it up or throw down on some tiger woo, i drink odules with them
seeing family and friends get drunk and stupid is one of many good reminders
again, i wanna stay humble and pray that nothing will ever happen to make me wanna drink again

marini martini
09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Good job HighLow! I'm proud of you. My poor St.S drinks about 12 - 20 light beers daily. Sounds like a pretty common thing with young men these days. Glad you nipped it in the bud, early. Course I'm sure substituting the "racing rush" for the beer buz, helped alot!!!:lobt2:

Evan
09-15-2008, 08:54 PM
didnt mean to come off cocky
its just that days like today i think, how long has it been again?
the desire to drink alcohol is gone and i cant explain how much it was like a light switch being turned on. if my buddies wanna foos it up or throw down on some tiger woo, i drink odules with them
seeing family and friends get drunk and stupid is one of many good reminders
again, i wanna stay humble and pray that nothing will ever happen to make me wanna drink again

Oh no you weren't....just saying for the future!

sorry I worded that poorly.

HighLowLobForBig-50
09-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Good job HighLow! I'm proud of you. My poor St.S drinks about 12 - 20 light beers daily. Sounds like a pretty common thing with young men these days. Glad you nipped it in the bud, early. Course I'm sure substituting the "racing rush" for the beer buz, helped alot!!!:lobt2:

its a trade-off i wished i'd made a long time ago. im havin fun right now but damn i wish i didnt get rained out every other weekend. looks like racing is in the forecast for this weekend though :rollin

btw this dallas/philly game is great

HighLowLobForBig-50
09-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Oh no you weren't....just saying for the future!

sorry I worded that poorly.

either way you reminded me to not get cocky. thats good advice, someone should tell that to desean jackson:bang my fantasy team needs all the touchdowns it can get right now

remingtonbo2001
09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
over 11 weeks with no problems
it sucks to think about how messed up i would get on the daily
how are my sober buddies doin, Bottomtooth?:lol

:lobt2: Congrats HighLow :lobt2:

I can relate to the symbolic light switch, something which occured when I stopped smoking marijuana.

It's nice to enjoy mental clarity.

Keep the ST community updated on the racing.

HighLowLobForBig-50
09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
:lobt2: Congrats HighLow :lobt2:

I can relate to the symbolic light switch, something which occured when I stopped smoking marijuana.

It's nice to enjoy mental clarity.

Keep the ST community updated on the racing.

yes it is. its nice to step away from something that was holdin you down and look back at it feeling like you bettered yourself.
im gonna go bump that racing thread now

Brutalis
09-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Congrats bro. I am 3 months into being mary jane free.

Brutalis
09-15-2008, 11:22 PM
..and would like to add that is in no way even on the same playing field as an addiction to alcohol, much less an addiction at all. Just a mind thing.

HighLowLobForBig-50
09-15-2008, 11:36 PM

..and would like to add that is in no way even on the same playing field as an addiction to alcohol, much less an addiction at all. Just a mind thing.

thats great and IMO it is on the same playing field if you feel as though you've bettered yourself. i can see your point though when it comes to alcoholism and such. i have not experienced any symptoms of withdrawl that i know of, and i was really expecting to. what im tryin to eliminate now are the cigs. :bang

TDMVPDPOY
09-15-2008, 11:40 PM
dude 1pac > 6pac abs

HighLowLobForBig-50
09-15-2008, 11:43 PM
dude 1pac > 6pac abs

my ex agrees. she really liked the beer belly look
and come to think of it, i dont like hearing from my buddies "dude , you losin' some weight?"

Brutalis
09-16-2008, 01:54 AM
thats great and IMO it is on the same playing field if you feel as though you've bettered yourself. i can see your point though when it comes to alcoholism and such. i have not experienced any symptoms of withdrawl that i know of, and i was really expecting to. what im tryin to eliminate now are the cigs. :bang

Me too. I might make a thread about it, I heard there are free products to help people quit.

travis2
09-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Since ive had an alcoholic drink. For the last 10 yrs or so i prob averaged about 8-10 light beers a night.(sometimes 18-20) 6 weeks ago i started having strange chest pains. Not really pains but tightness in the chest and back. Well, 4 weeks ago it was so strange couldnt sleep for two days and in a moment of clarity I asked myself "why do you do this, what is it doing for you". The only thing i could think of as far as the connection between the tightness in my chest and the beer was that it was thinning out my blood alot. I dont know if there was a connection, but i can tell you i havent had any tightness or strange feelings in my chest since. Anyway my friends and family dont know what to think about me not drinkin beer, but are proud at the same time.(i was prob more fun when i was drinkin beer) They keep askin if its perminant and i dont really know what to say. I end up tellin everyone that "im just seeing how long i can go". Thing is, its not hard on me at all. I dont have cravings,dont mind being around people that are drinkin and as far as i know , havent had withdrawls of any kind. Hell theres a 12 pack of keystone in my fridge right now. I see it everytime i grab somethin and the thought never crosses my mind. Somehow i think i managed to either A) scare myself outta wanting to drink or B) somehow mentally turned myself off to the idea. I dunno its weird but i do feel kinda proud of myself. That is all

:tu:tu:tu:tu

travis2
09-16-2008, 06:10 AM

Keep up the good work.

travis2
09-16-2008, 06:11 AM

travis2
09-16-2008, 06:14 AM

MrChug
09-16-2008, 06:16 AM
I'm not quite ready to quit, but I will. You make me feel bad because I drink more than that (maybe alot more than that). I think you hit a point and just say NO. Is that what happened?

lebomb
09-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Im going to do the same thing............quit cold turkey. I will keep yall updated on my progress as well. Ive been :jekka a long time........... :depressed

BacktoBasics
09-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I can't quit. Withdrawl symptoms are strong. I'm going to have to trim back first and hope it gets easier. I've stopped for up to 4 days but the nightmares are bad and I can't sleep. Once I get past day 3 I feel horrible like I have the flu. I've cut back to drinking about every other day and I'm keeping it less than a 6 pack a time or less than 5 drinks.

ATRAIN
09-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I quit smoking cigarettes almost 2 months ago. I wasnt a pack a day guy or anything like that, it was more of a ill smoke when I drink, then for a while there it because ill smoke one a day with my roomate. Since then I have smoked around 3 because of drinking but for the most part i have stopped. Im still working at it but the craving when drinking is pretty much almost gone.

Oh, Gee!!
09-16-2008, 11:24 AM
2 weeks for me. Trying to abstain till next may.

SpursWoman
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I quit smoking cigarettes almost 2 months ago. I wasnt a pack a day guy or anything like that, it was more of a ill smoke when I drink, then for a while there it because ill smoke one a day with my roomate. Since then I have smoked around 3 because of drinking but for the most part i have stopped. Im still working at it but the craving when drinking is pretty much almost gone.

Good job ... I quit a year ago in July. :cooldevil

Congratulations on your effort, HLLFB50 (:lol) ... it's definitely a worthwhile one. :)

2Blonde
09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Way to Go Guys !!!! That's awesome. Both my aunt & my grandmaw were alcoholics & smokers, so I know how tough it is to quit. They never did and paid the price with their lives.
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

2Blonde
09-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Congratulations on your effort, HLLFB50 (:lol) ... it's definitely a worthwhile one. :)
Congrats SW!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap

ATRAIN
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Good job. Yeah what has made it easier is that a lot of my smoking friends have quit. I only have 1 left and he is the one that made it worse, not by forcing them, but by having them. I always told myself I would stop when I started buying my own packs, but I did that for about a year and decided it was time to stop. Its amazing how much better you feel. I thought I would get hung over from the drinking, but it was the smoking that really does a number on you for a hang over.

Evan
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm not quite ready to quit, but I will. You make me feel bad because I drink more than that (maybe alot more than that). I think you hit a point and just say NO. Is that what happened?

How much per day on average are you drinking?

Viva Las Espuelas
09-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Good job. Yeah what has made it easier is that a lot of my smoking friends have quit. I only have 1 left and he is the one that made it worse, not by forcing them, but by having them. I always told myself I would stop when I started buying my own packs, but I did that for about a year and decided it was time to stop. Its amazing how much better you feel. I thought I would get hung over from the drinking, but it was the smoking that really does a number on you for a hang over.one surefire way to make you quit smoking, it's what made me quit, is have a smoke when you're sick(cold or flu). when i did that i asked myself why in the hell i smoked in the first place.

SpursWoman
09-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Congrats SW!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap

Thanks! Now if I could only figure out what I've been doing with all of the money I've saved. :lol :oops

Its amazing how much better you feel.

Ironically ... because I'd smoked for over 25 years, quitting actually contributed to some health problems that it's taking awhile to get sorted out, but I'm finally starting to feel a lot better now. :)

ATRAIN
09-16-2008, 01:48 PM
one surefire way to make you quit smoking, it's what made me quit, is have a smoke when you're sick(cold or flu). when i did that i asked myself why in the hell i smoked in the first place.

I think that anyways sick or not. I dont like that feeling afterwards. Feels crappy.