PDA

View Full Version : All in favor of resting Tim until Miami game?

Rummpd
02-05-2005, 08:55 AM
I say do it, Rasho will be back, Rose perhaps out of funk etc.

Let hip and any lingering knee stuff just heal. Is there anyone up until Miami that Spurs when motivated cannot beat without Tim?

MadDoc

mrose31
02-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Washington might be just as good as we are without Tim. That could easily be loss at washington. Actually we could lose all those games since they are not home games if Tim was not playing.

Rummpd
02-05-2005, 09:21 AM
For the long-term benefit of team I might still rest him, if we get win over Bobcats for Wiz. game.

Wiz missing some key talent too - a motivated Spurs team could still handle them if either Rasho (who did last year!!!) or Rose steps it up in Tim's place.

boutons
02-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Wizz are a lousy 4-6 in Last10, and as EC #3 really aren't very good. Still badly missing Larry Hughes.

If the depth of the Spurs is real, a Tim-less Spurs should be able to beat the Wizz easily. Then again, the Spurs could live dangerously and turn in below-avg, play-down-to-crap-team performance.

Tim could start and play 12 - 18 minutes, if that. Screws up his stats, but forgiveable if he's hurting.

Brodels
02-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I wish we knew exactly how bad his injuries are. If they are nagging things that will go away with time, I'm all for him playing. But it sounds like he really could benefit from a week or so off.

I would trade a loss or two for some rest for Tim, but it might make some sense to wait until after the all star break.

BronxCowboy
02-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Considering that there is such a long rest before the bobcats game and that TD shouldn't be needed for too many minutes in that one, I doubt if it's really necessary to have him sit out.

Jimcs50
02-05-2005, 10:54 AM
No

MaNuMaNiAc
02-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Seriously, I think that Yao Ming could just sit out from here till the next All Star game, and be voted in as a starter anyway!! I doesn't make fucking sense!

Gummi
02-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't see any reason for doing that. If that knee scare is more serious then it looked, then of course the coaching staff will have to sit him out for several games.

The Spurs aren't that good as many people think when Duncan isn't playing. Just watch a game when Duncan is on the bench, they have far to many problems scoring and the defense is very spotty. We could sit him out of the Bobcats game, but Tim, Horry and Rasho are getting several days off now, next game isn't until tuesday. Then the All-Star break is arriving and even though Duncan won't be resting like the rest of the Spurs (not Beno and Pop, maybe Manu or Parker), he'll still get some days off.

I say no, we can't afford to slip up on the road and drop 3 or 4 games because we're resting Duncan. He's playing limited minutes anyway, keep that going and stay healthy.

exstatic
02-05-2005, 01:23 PM
If there are no issues with the knee, then no. They already have 4 days off without a game. Rust can be as bad as being tired.

T Park
02-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Go ahead and sit him for Charlotte.

5 straight days off would do him good, and that hip and knee need to be 100% by playoff time.

What the hell, sit him for Washington.

Id say play him next friday in New Jersey.

Phenomanul
02-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Go ahead and sit him for Charlotte.

5 straight days off would do him good, and that hip and knee need to be 100% by playoff time.

What the hell, sit him for Washington.

Id say play him next friday in New Jersey.

They might take it personal and use that motivation to beat us.... 'tis a dangerous game....

PM5K
02-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Give me a damn break. This guy is paid fifteen million dollars a year and he gets a little banged up and you guys want him to rest, he's not made of glass.....

RobinsontoDuncan
02-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Give me a damn break. This guy is paid fifteen million dollars a year and he gets a little banged up and you guys want him to rest, he's not made of glass.....

that's what they were saying about grant hill when he had an nagging ankle injury......

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-05-2005, 06:13 PM
I think homecourt advantage will be pretty valuable this post season and I'm not sure Phoenix is going to cool off.

If Tim is feeling ok I'd certainly play him. But as others mentioned, we don't know how seriously he's hurt. If he needs the rest, certainly give it to him now.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-05-2005, 06:15 PM
If he needs the rest.... then he should sit out the allstar game

whottt
02-05-2005, 07:33 PM
I don't know where you are getting the idea that the Wizards are some kind of lottery team...beating them on their home court isn't a given, even with Duncan playing. The Nets aren't exactly a joke either...they do have Kidd you know...he's always dangerous.

Seeing as how we don't even have a playoff berth locked up yet, and the Spurs have never won an NBA title when they didn't have HCA, and we only have a 1 game lead on the Suns, I don't think it's a good idea to be arrogant, lackadasical, and careless about games at this point. I'd just as soon Duncan suit up and then let him rest after the team gets a big lead. If the Wizards, Nets, and even the Bobcats, are as easy to beat as you claim, that should be relatively easy to pull off.

I don't even see the Bobcats game as being that easy...they have some talent...Hart knows our team, Okafor is a stud player already, and Steve Smith is on that team...everyone knows what Smitty likes to do to his old teams...Smitty got us last season remember?

I can see plenty of motivation for the Bobcats to play way over their head in that game...they know we are the favorites to win the title...how many expansion teams can claim they beat the champs? That game is going to be their NBA championship game.

I really hope Pop isn't as arrogant and cavalier about the upcoming schedule as you are...or we will surely lose a few games that we shouldn't.

exstatic
02-05-2005, 07:53 PM
If he needs the rest.... then he should sit out the allstar game
Players started doing that a few years back. Stern's new policy: if you're not on IR, you play in the AS game. Period.

Extra Stout
02-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Tim has four days off as it is. The next leg of the road trip starts with three games in four nights. If Tim were to be held out, the other guys suffer just that much more fatigue, and risk injury themselves, never mind the fact that they might end up coughing up a couple games that would come in handy down the stretch. And, you kill any kind of momentum this team might have.

If the medical staff says Tim needs to rest, then rest him. But to do so out of unnecessary precaution is counterproductive.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-05-2005, 08:10 PM
well w/pop coaching... duncan can see minimal minutes if he's unhealthy

fonzy16
02-06-2005, 08:08 AM
I agree, sit him in the next game. It will be good for him (to rest the injuries) and for the team - to see what they can do. And they can win without him, pop wont alllow them to lose.

NZHayden
02-06-2005, 04:56 PM
I think timmy should be played but only give him minor minutes and dish the bulk of the minutes between the rest of the forwards. haha use him how pop uses marks that would be funny, 3 minutes a game

Ginofan
02-06-2005, 07:03 PM
After seeing him limp around in that vid with Karl Malone coming out of the restraunt, I say let him sit out at least the Charlotte game...after that we'll see.