PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Finley spurns European offer

lurker23
07-25-2008, 10:37 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=438440

What, did you think foreign interest was limited to young, emerging NBA players shackled by restricted free agency?

Hold on a minute. There's some room for the elders in the Euro leagues. In fact, according to agent Henry Thomas, 35-year-old free agent (note: not restricted) guard Michael Finley of the San Antonio Spurs was not only contacted by a European team a month ago, but Finley turned down the offer.

"It's not something Michael wants to do at this point in his career," Thomas told Sporting News. "They were very interested in him, and they were impressed with his shooting ability and his experience. But he was not interested in going abroad."

Thomas would not name the team or league that was interested in Finley, but did say, "Well, it's one that has been in the news a lot lately."

That would be the Greek league, which saw one of its premier teams, Olympiacos, sign Atlanta Hawks swingman Josh Childress to a contract this week.

With Finley apparently out of the market for European offers, Thomas said Finley had no shortage of NBA offers. His first choice would be to return to the Spurs. Contrary to reports based on San Antonio's signing of guard Roger Mason Jr., Thomas said the Spurs are very interested in keeping Finley.

Speculation around the league, though, has Finley looking at league powers like the Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks and Boston Celtics.

"There are other teams, championship-caliber teams that want Michael," Thomas said. "But he is not going to be in a hurry. If you know Michael, you know he is going to think about this very carefully and make the right decision for him and his family. He won a ring with San Antonio and he will never forget that. So, that will weigh into his decision."

Staff writer Sean Deveney covers baseball for Sporting News. E-mail him at [email protected].

lefty
07-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Do it Findog, do it !!!! :hungry:

rj215
07-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Maybe we need to drug him and get him on a plane like the A-Team used to do to B.A.

Spurtacus
07-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Maybe we need to drug him and get him on a plane like the A-Team used to do to B.A.

:rollin

ducks
07-25-2008, 10:45 PM
humm
maybe he thinks he would get homesick for the good oh USA

samikeyp
07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=438440

What, did you think foreign interest was limited to young, emerging NBA players shackled by restricted free agency?

Hold on a minute. There's some room for the elders in the Euro leagues. In fact, according to agent Henry Thomas, 35-year-old free agent (note: not restricted) guard Michael Finley of the San Antonio Spurs was not only contacted by a European team a month ago, but Finley turned down the offer.

"It's not something Michael wants to do at this point in his career," Thomas told Sporting News. "They were very interested in him, and they were impressed with his shooting ability and his experience. But he was not interested in going abroad."

Thomas would not name the team or league that was interested in Finley, but did say, "Well, it's one that has been in the news a lot lately."

That would be the Greek league, which saw one of its premier teams, Olympiacos, sign Atlanta Hawks swingman Josh Childress to a contract this week.

With Finley apparently out of the market for European offers, Thomas said Finley had no shortage of NBA offers. His first choice would be to return to the Spurs. Contrary to reports based on San Antonio's signing of guard Roger Mason Jr., Thomas said the Spurs are very interested in keeping Finley.

Speculation around the league, though, has Finley looking at league powers like the Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks and Boston Celtics.

"There are other teams, championship-caliber teams that want Michael," Thomas said. "But he is not going to be in a hurry. If you know Michael, you know he is going to think about this very carefully and make the right decision for him and his family. He won a ring with San Antonio and he will never forget that. So, that will weigh into his decision."

Staff writer Sean Deveney covers baseball for Sporting News. E-mail him at [email protected].

Guess that ET money ran out. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Looks like his agent is tired of waiting around on SA and is trying to force them to act.

It pisses me off that he didn't take that offer. Damnit.

Buddy Holly
07-25-2008, 10:53 PM
humm
maybe he thinks he would get homesick for the good oh USA

Well yeah, if he went overseas to Honduras, yeah, he might get homesick.

Findog
07-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Time to come home Mike.

ducks
07-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Well yeah, if he went overseas to Honduras, yeah, he might get homesick.

does he not have kids
pulling up your kids and moving them to another country is not easy
the kids would have NO friends when they get there

do you have kids

Buddy Holly
07-25-2008, 11:05 PM
does he not have kids
pulling up your kids and moving them to another country is not easy
the kids would have NO friends when they get there

do you have kids

Fuck, you're dense as shit.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2008, 11:06 PM
I don't blame him for not going either. He is probably comfortable with how much money he's made (from Cuban) during his career and just wants to have stability with his family. It's not surprising that he turned it down.

Guajalote
07-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe there's so much of Cuban's money in his pockets that he just can't fit any more in.

SPURSGOAT
07-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Damn there went our chance to get rid of Fin... looks like we are stuck with him...:bang

ducks
07-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Fuck, you're dense as shit.

you are
you act like the usa is so terrible
why do you not move overseas

Juanobili
07-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Childress is smart

he's gonna be a star over there

Juanobili
07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't blame him for not going either. He is probably comfortable with how much money he's made (from Cuban) during his career and just wants to have stability with his family. It's not surprising that he turned it down.

lol yeah, I'd be pissed if my fucking dad came in and said "We're moving to Europe next week."

johngateswhiteley
07-26-2008, 12:04 AM

hilarious.

tp2021
07-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Marisa Miller is the hottest woman in the world.
That pic on the right is insane dude.

completely deck
07-26-2008, 12:10 AM
lol yeah, I'd be pissed if my fucking dad came in and said "We're moving to Europe next week."

I think as a kid it would be cool.

But whatever, to each his (or her) own.

DPG21920
07-26-2008, 12:22 AM
I think as a kid it would be cool.

But whatever, to each his (or her) own.

I agree. I love the USA, but what an exciting chance to see the world, especially when your dad is a star.

manufor3
07-26-2008, 12:43 AM

i think anyone would

whottt
07-26-2008, 12:45 AM
HITA part deux!

Spurtacus
07-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Finley doesn't need the money. Most players playing in Europe want the money.

DPG21920
07-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Fin dog will be back and he will help.

T Park
07-26-2008, 02:32 AM
Damn there went our chance to get rid of Fin... looks like we are stuck with him...:bang

Name me a better third string guard thats available.

Waiting...

T Park
07-26-2008, 02:33 AM
my boyfriend left me for the Rockets

mrspurs
07-26-2008, 06:47 AM
fins is probably past his days of smoking pot.......imo alot of nba players like some of the laws in europe, and now you can grow it in your own home and ill pay ya millions todo it....oh and yeah you can play basketball for us too.......i bet robert parrish is coming out of retirement to play in europe, and poor mighty mouse, nobody wants a scrub, except for pop last seasons(brain fart signing him)

MarHill
07-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Yep we are!! :lol

I know I'm one of the few Pro-Finley people on this website. However, he has hit some big shots for us in the three years he has been with the Spurs.

His professionalism and attitude fits well with this group and yes I wouldn't mind him coming back!!!!!!

:flag:

Fabbs
07-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Maybe there's so much of Cuban's money in his pockets that he just can't fit any more in.
:lol

pad300
07-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Name me a better third string guard thats available.

Waiting...

Better player - see this thread, http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101693

Ricky Davis is a better player than current Finley...

I'm just unsure if it's worth the potential locker room issues. Personally, I lean towards taking the chance, but Pop and the FO may feel otherwise.

ducks
07-26-2008, 10:06 AM
ricky davis is a cancer

Buddy Holly
07-26-2008, 10:22 AM
you are
you act like the usa is so terrible
why do you not move overseas

Wow, Ducks, what type of retarded parents did you have?

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2008/03/Sam.jpg

If you didn't understand the context of my comment well, fuck.

You are right though, I should go overseas. I was thinking maybe... Honduras.

ducks
07-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Wow, Ducks, what type of retarded parents did you have?

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2008/03/Sam.jpg

If you didn't understand the context of my comment well, fuck.

You are right though, I should go overseas. I was thinking maybe... Honduras.

what are you two ?
trying to talk parent smack now

Buddy Holly
07-26-2008, 10:32 AM
what are you two ?
trying to talk parent smack now

What are you two? :lol

No, but if you're asking "How old are you"... well, I'm old enough to realize how big of a moron you are. As does the rest of this forum.

And it's only smack when it's not true.

ducks
07-26-2008, 10:33 AM
I have to fix a computer
later

Biggems
07-26-2008, 10:36 AM
He isn't the Spurs' Finley anymore....he is a UFA....so he is Finley's Finley right now......whoever chose this title.....shame on you

Buddy Holly
07-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I have to fix a computer
later

It won't stop talking to you?

http://distractible.org/wp-content/plugins/RndmImgs/computer-stupid.jpg

lotr1trekkie
07-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Finley can do only one thing--shoot of pick or open looks. I can't imagine him settling for DNP[coaches decision] for game after game. I'd take Horry in a NYminute because he defends, plays help defense, sets great screens and makes the right pass. In addition he can be Big Bad Bob. Horry is worth the vet's minimun far more than Finley. Let Cuban resign him for 8mill for two years. Not here!

SenorSpur
07-26-2008, 10:42 AM
I can't imagine Finley going from being a starter to the 5th wing and being happy about it.

C'mon Finley. Be a man. Step up and go international. Live a little. You might prolong your career.

T Park
07-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Better player - see this thread, http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101693

Ricky Davis is a better player than current Finley...

I'm just unsure if it's worth the potential locker room issues. Personally, I lean towards taking the chance, but Pop and the FO may feel otherwise.

So you'd rather have a cancer who would end up having to be replaced by a worse player than Michael Finley which by doing such an action might goof the team up beyond repair?

Sounds like a good choice.

Good choice.

T Park
07-26-2008, 10:49 AM
I can't imagine Finley going from being a starter to the 5th wing and being happy about it.

C'mon Finley. Be a man. Step up and go international. Live a little. You might prolong your career.

Were you one of the ones in 2006 who said "I can't seem accepting less shots and less of a role than the Miami Heat"

T Park
07-26-2008, 10:51 AM
nobody wants a scrub, except for pop last seasons(brain fart signing him)

Who should they have signed instead?

He was DNPed alot anyways, so how did his signing hurt the team?

SenorSpur
07-26-2008, 11:09 AM

Were you one of the ones in 2006 who said "I can't seem accepting less shots and less of a role than the Miami Heat"

Don't think so dude. Having watched his decline during the last 3 years of his Mavs tenure, I was very well aware of his warts. I knew full well that he'd continue to be a one-trick pony - and of course, he only got worse. No big surprise there. I've just seen enough of him, and his declining skills, to know that giving him big minutes is counter-productive.

On the other side, I seem to remember you being the leader of the "Bring Back Horry" campaign. :lol

loveforthegame
07-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Bruno broke this news in the get refuel thread on page 27, post # 679, on June 26th. Good job.

I don't blame Finley for turning them down. He's made enough money and he has his family to think about.

As some have mentioned I like him as an end of bench guy with veteran leadership and spot minutes. He's great at helping the young guys. He wouldn't be bad insurance in case of injury either.

I think the signing of Mason clearly shows that Finley wouldn't start nor get the bulk of minutes. Finley basically takes Brent Barry's role.

tmtcsc
07-26-2008, 11:34 AM
The Finley bashing is beyond fucking ridiculous. He is a poor defender but he wasn't brought here to be a defender. He was brought here to make shots. I put part of the blame on Pop for not pulling him when he is being torched or for putting him on the floor when we need to make stops.

I know he's supposed to be able to play defense but pretending that he is an adequate defender and leaving him on the floor is a BAD idea. Use him when we have a lead to make the lead bigger and / or get in his face when he isn't being aggressive enough on offense.

ducks
07-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I am back
got rid of the 2 virus
thanks to bill gates stupidy
and thank to bill gates I got overtime today!

Dex
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Seriously, how quickly do you guys forget that if it hadn't been for Finley, Tim Duncan wouldn't have an overtime period to hit his three, and there's a decent chance the Spurs don't even make it as far as the WCF.

Yeah, even I've admitted that he's lost a step and don't want to see him in the regular rotation, but have some damned respect. It's not like the guy doesn't deserve to come back here.

Apprehensively, I'll be happy to see FinFin come back.

T Park
07-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Don't think so dude. Having watched his decline during the last 3 years of his Mavs tenure, I was very well aware of his warts. I knew full well that he'd continue to be a one-trick pony - and of course, he only got worse. No big surprise there. I've just seen enough of him, and his declining skills, to know that giving him big minutes is counter-productive.

On the other side, I seem to remember you being the leader of the "Bring Back Horry" campaign. :lol

That totally sidestepped what I asked 100%.

Read it again.

Yes I was part of it, and Horry still does have game left. Keep your tears to yourself when Boston or LA beats the Spurs next year with one of his shots.

Rewatch game 7 vs New Orleans to show how "done" he is.

ceperez
07-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Finley can do only one thing--shoot of pick or open looks. I can't imagine him settling for DNP[coaches decision] for game after game. I'd take Horry in a NYminute because he defends, plays help defense, sets great screens and makes the right pass. In addition he can be Big Bad Bob. Horry is worth the vet's minimun far more than Finley. Let Cuban resign him for 8mill for two years. Not here!

Agree, definitely Horry over Finley.

Why? Well Horry doesn't eat up minutes, Finley plays like 23 minutes and absolutely has nothing to show for it. And it's not just one bad game, it's game after game after game.

We got lucky is 2007 when he finally got his shot back during the Nuggets. In 2008 Finley didn't show up after the Suns series. I betting he doesn't show up at all in 2009.

Anti.Hero
07-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Finley on third string?

That'd be nice.

DROB4EVER
07-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Fin off the bench to give us 10min pr game would be nice. As long as he is hitting his shots from outside he can contribute, but I would say as a 9th-10th guy.

He knows his role would be limited so I think he is waiting to see if he can get more mins elsewhere on a contender. Not gonna happen so I think he comes back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Seriously, how quickly do you guys forget that if it hadn't been for Finley, Tim Duncan wouldn't have an overtime period to hit his three, and there's a decent chance the Spurs don't even make it as far as the WCF.

Yeah, even I've admitted that he's lost a step and don't want to see him in the regular rotation, but have some damned respect. It's not like the guy doesn't deserve to come back here.

Apprehensively, I'll be happy to see FinFin come back.

Ah yes, the old he hit a shot once in a game, so we need to bring him back defense...

Bruno
07-26-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm fine with Finley coming back if :

- Pop gives him a limited playing time. Mason and Udoka needs to get some consistent playing time to show what they are worth. If after the ASG, one or both suck, Pop could still give Finley more playing time.

- Finley is fine with this limited playing time and won't complain about that.

If both conditions are met, I have nothing against Finely coming back. He wasn't my first choice to be Spurs 5th swingman, but there is some logic in bringing him back.

SenorSpur
07-26-2008, 05:27 PM
That totally sidestepped what I asked 100%.

Read it again.

Yes I was part of it, and Horry still does have game left. Keep your tears to yourself when Boston or LA beats the Spurs next year with one of his shots.

Rewatch game 7 vs New Orleans to show how "done" he is.

I wont be crying any tears for Horry's departure, but sounds like you will be. Sure he's probably has some shots left in him, but he can't give consistent effort game in and game out. Cry all you want. Spurs are moving on, perhaps you should too.

As to your general question, the answer is no - again! Obviously, you've confused me with someone else.

Dex
07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Ah yes, the old he hit a shot once in a game, so we need to bring him back defense...

:sleep

You're right. Michael Finley hit one important shot in his 6100 minutes and 1300 playoff minutes logged in San Antonio.

He certainly doesn't deserve a bench spot for bottom dollars for just that. Why would we want a professional veteran and past-superstar in our locker room?

Let's get another D-League scrub who doesn't understand the system. I'm sure that will make the difference.

I've already said several times that I think Finley is getting old and doesn't need to be logging major minutes here, but I think people need to quit acting like he never did anything for this team.

If you want to perceive this as me heading the Finley Campaign, I guess there's not much I can do about it.

wisnub
07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I want to see European teams get Finley....hell lets even get Tau sign him...Spanish League,Euro, Italian it doesnt really matter.... Actually If Finley go there, I wanna see him playin w/ Splitter and then Spurs might train with TAU in the offseason...to fulfill whatever obligation that NBA team gotta go somewhere and play there for fun,.,,

ozgur1
07-27-2008, 06:41 AM
ı heard that team is Olympiacos.