PDA

View Full Version : Horry Taking Relaxed Approach To Free Agency And Hooping It Up With Kids At Camp

duncan228
07-26-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.herald-zeitung.com/story.lasso?ewcd=98e268472e1893a0&-session=HeraldZeitung:4593569811a74395B4xnp1199EE2

Horry taking relaxed approach to free agency
By Justin Coons

Robert Horry is taking the hands-off approach to free agency.

Horry became a free agent this spring when his contract with San Antonio expired after the Spurs were eliminated from the NBA Playoffs.

The 16-year veteran has since said he’s got at least a year left in the tank, and he wants to end his storied career — in which he’s captured seven NBA title rings — on a high note.

It’s just a matter of where.

Horry has said he’d like to remain with the Spurs. If the organization decides to move on, however, he said he’d like to return to Los Angeles or to Houston, where he began his career.

But Horry, who holds the NBA record for career playoff appearances, said he hasn’t even begun to worry about where the free agent market will take him.

He’s taking a wait-and-see attitude.

“I haven’t even talked to anybody,” he said. “I haven’t even looked at it.”

For the time being, he said he’s just going to savor his summer with his son Robert and daughter Ashlyn.

“Right now, I’m just enjoying my summer with my family — spending time with my boy,” he said.

As he battled nagging knee injuries, Horry was sidelined through much of last season, including portions of San Antonio’s run to the Western Conference Finals.

In interviews since, Horry has said it was a disappointing season for him and he’d like to play one more season.

Horry averaged 13 minutes per game last season, the lowest of his career, while he managed 2.5 points per game in the regular season and just 1.5 in the playoffs — both career lows.

But with his son at his side Saturday, Horry took a more relaxed tone.

“I figure if something comes up, it comes up,” he said. “If it doesn’t, it doesn’t. I’ll just deal with it as it comes.”

http://www.herald-zeitung.com/story.lasso?ewcd=a7f94bc331a9e7c2&-session=HeraldZeitung:4593569811a74395B4xnp1199EE2

Youngsters hoop it up with Horry
By Justin Coons

The opportunity to play a little one-on-one with one of the San Antonio Spurs doesn’t come all that often.

The chance to hoop it up with a 16-year veteran and seven-time NBA Finals champion might just come once in a lifetime.

So when Spurs forward Robert Horry came to Canyon’s Cougar Den to host a free basketball skills camp, youngsters turned out in droves. About 125 campers showed up for the camp’s first day Saturday, a day-long fundamentals session. Another sizable crowd followed Sunday, at a camp geared towards high school hoopsters.

“It was a good turnout; I was very proud of the kids who turned out, and they worked hard,” Horry said. “I worked them hard. But I think the most important thing at the end of the day was that they enjoyed themselves.”

And the kids worked him right back.

“I like to get out there and just play a little one-on-one with them,” Horry said. “Sometimes you’ve got to get out there and demonstrate instead of leading them from the sidelines.”

Horry said his motivation to host the first-ever, no-cost camp was simple.

“It’s just fun,” he said. “I like to see these kids who say, ‘OK this guy is trying to teach me parts of his game he uses to be a professional basketball player.’ I just try to give them a little stepping stone to send their games down the right path.

“A lot of times, kids will just pick up and play. They’ll pick up the game on a whim, and I’m just trying to give them a little direction along the way.”

Considering its proximity to San Antonio, Horry said the New Braunfels area had gone largely unnoticed in terms of camps hosted by Spurs players.

“The Spurs spend a lot of time with kids in the city, but kids around the area don’t get to spend any time with us,” he said. “I’m not big on week-long camps, so I thought it’d be good to do just a few things — just the basics.”

The “basics” included five hours of basketball instruction, including one-on-one time with Big Shot Rob himself. Afterwards, Horry held an autograph session with youngsters eager to meet the veteran player.

Horry said he had fun and he’d like to do more. However, hosting camps is tougher than it looks.

“It’s fun, but I’m not that big of a full-day camp guy,” he said. “I just don’t have the energy. I’ve got to do my workouts in the morning, and then I participate in camps all day. By the end of it, I’m worn out.”

angel_luv
07-26-2008, 12:50 PM
It makes me sad that, if the Spurs don't resign Robert, his last experience with us was being taken out by the Lakers. :( :( :(

exstatic
07-26-2008, 01:29 PM
It makes me sad that, if the Spurs don't resign Robert, his last experience with us was being taken out by the Lakers. :( :( :(

There would be a certain symetry to that, since that was his first playoff experience with us, too.

benefactor
07-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah...but if we do resign him the result could be the same.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-26-2008, 01:42 PM
It'd be kind of sad to see a great player like that end his career because no one wanted to pick him up, but I didn't see anything from him this year that made me think he's got another good season left in him. I know that there have been an army of people saying that since 2004, but eventually they were going to be proven right and I think now may be the time. He should just head off into the sunset.

angel_luv
07-26-2008, 01:44 PM
There would be a certain symetry to that, since that was his first playoff experience with us, too.

Yea but I would like better for Robert, now that I am a fan of his.
( Something I still was not in 2004.)

angel_luv
07-26-2008, 01:45 PM
He should just head off into the sunset.

He probably should have after we won in 2007.

duncan228
07-26-2008, 02:15 PM
He probably should have after we won in 2007.

I agree. Going out as a Champion is a sweet way to retire.

I think that Horry came back last year because he must have thought he could contribute to a possible repeat. There was no way of knowing how his season would unfold, with his daughter's issues and his own injury. It looks like the dye had been cast though, I don't know if he has anything left in the tank now. It's a tough way to end a great career, but he's got 7 rings to ease the pain. I'll always remember him with a smile. He was a great player and a great competitor.

angel_luv
07-26-2008, 02:26 PM
I'll always remember him with a smile. He was a great player and a great competitor.

And a really nice person too.

Which is why he should retire as a Spur.

jack sommerset
07-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I think Horry will be a Laker again

Steve-O-Matic
07-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Horry took a relaxed approach to last season, too.

exstatic
07-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Horry took a relaxed approach to last season, too.

Horry takes a relaxed approach to every season. When he's producing in the post-season, he's worth keeping, but he hasn't really done that much since 2005.

I think Pop might also be concerned that his casual approach may rub off on the youngsters.

duncan228
07-26-2008, 04:05 PM
I think Pop might also be concerned that his casual approach may rub off on the youngsters.

I think we saw Duncan with a bit of that approach this past season. It was nerve racking, there was some conversation about whether he still "had it." The Playoffs showed us he did, but his regular season was not up to his normal standards.

I expect this year to be better. I think Pop and Duncan now know how to manage his minutes to keep him fresh for the Playoffs without sacrificing his ability to perform.

SenorSpur
07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Horry is one of the smartest players to ever lace 'em up. He's got a tremendous amount of knowledge to impart on youngsters. I know he doesn't want to coach, but I think he'd be damn good at it.

ploto
07-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I know I am in the minority in my thinking (what else is new?) but I believe Rob has another season left in him.

Last year so much of his energy was on his daughter and then when he would get going, he would get injured. I think a well-rested Rob still has some basketball left to play, and I feel certain some team will want him for the minimum. Look at the guys still getting paid that and tell me that he is not more desirable than Sean Marks (Sorry, Sean) or Scott Pollard.

Kudos also to Rob for giving a free basketball clinic to kids.

The Truth #6
07-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Horry is one of the smartest players to ever lace 'em up. He's got a tremendous amount of knowledge to impart on youngsters. I know he doesn't want to coach, but I think he'd be damn good at it.

He had mentioned earlier in the year about wanting to coach college, but perhaps he realized it's not for him. He does have a lot of knowledge but I wonder if he has the patience to share it. It didn't seem like Bonner learned anything from Horry, or that Horry taught him.

SenorSpur
07-26-2008, 11:58 PM
He had mentioned earlier in the year about wanting to coach college, but perhaps he realized it's not for him. He does have a lot of knowledge but I wonder if he has the patience to share it. It didn't seem like Bonner learned anything from Horry, or that Horry taught him.

Great points. In fact, I can't ever recall seeing a time where Horry was even in Bonner's ear about anything.

exstatic
07-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I know I am in the minority in my thinking (what else is new?) but I believe Rob has another season left in him.

Last year so much of his energy was on his daughter and then when he would get going, he would get injured. I think a well-rested Rob still has some basketball left to play, and I feel certain some team will want him for the minimum. Look at the guys still getting paid that and tell me that he is not more desirable than Sean Marks (Sorry, Sean) or Scott Pollard.

Kudos also to Rob for giving a free basketball clinic to kids.

Yeah, well you think Rasho is the shit, so most people will discount your opinions on players.

Are you stalking Toronto boards yet and berating them for dumping Rasho?

BlackSwordsMan
07-27-2008, 11:11 AM
If he played good last year he wouldn't have been cut this year. Shit happens move on horry

ploto
07-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I simply believe that some people have no clue what the illness of a child does to a person- yet alone on top of what he already deals with constantly with her underlying condition. Rob was utterly exhausted before the season ever began- physically, emotionally, psychlogically. I really do not think he lost the ability to play basketball because a lot of what he did was not physical to start with. As I said, Rob with the summer off to refresh, and he will knocking down daggers for someone next season. If all else fails, I am sure some European team would love the draw of a seven time NBA champion.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

SenorSpur
07-27-2008, 01:41 PM
I simply believe that some people have no clue what the illness of a child does to a person- yet alone on top of what he already deals with constantly with her underlying condition. Rob was utterly exhausted before the season ever began- physically, emotionally, psychlogically. I really do not think he lost the ability to play basketball because a lot of what he did was not physical to start with. As I said, Rob with the summer off to refresh, and he will knocking down daggers for someone next season. If all else fails, I am sure some European team would love the draw of a seven time NBA champion.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

There's not a person in this forum that doesn't empathize with Rob and the situation surrounding his daughter. Since Rob has bravely endured this situation most of his career, I find it odd that he would suddenly have trouble managing through it and allowing it to affect his play. Of course I don't walk in his shoes, so that's pure speculation on my part. Still, if the family situation with Rob is such that it has affected his play and his approach toward the game, perhaps that's all the more reason that basketball isn't and should no longer be a priority for him. That said, it seems to me you're using his family situation to excuse his poor play over the course of a long season.

The Spurs have been more than flexible with Horry so that he could deal with his family situation. Pop has carefully managed him minutes to ensure he has would be well-rested for the playoffs. That's been his strategy for the past couple of seasons.

If you truly believe Horry's skills haven't declined, then you're clearly deluding yourself. More importantly, if Horry believes that too, then he's just as delusional as you are. Personally, Horry appeared to me as a guy who just didn't have his heart or mind in basketball anymore.

The bottom line is this is the business of athletic competition. This team has a realistic chance to contend for a championship every year while Duncan is healthy and the big three are together. Therefore, the FO is obligated to assemble the best team possible to pursue the goal of a championship - not to appease the whims of a fading veteran, who can no longer compete from game-to-game or one whos is trying to selfishly prove to the world, "I still got it". This will not turn into the Brett Favre fiasco.

Because of the intense competition in the West, they've obviously realized they can ill-afford to continue their trend of keeping old guys around. Keeping them in hopes they will be able to conjure up a one-game flash of their past brilliance in a key playoff game. Thankfully, they've recognized the need to add athleticism, youth and competitive hunger to their bench depth. Unfortunately, Horry no longer appears to possess any of those commodities.

Horry is perfectly free to pursue his desire to continue playing elsewhere. After all, he wouldn't be the first to leave the country in order to postpone retirement. However if he does go to Europe or the Fakers, then it's really not all about remaining in close proximity to his family - is it?

ploto
07-27-2008, 01:57 PM
You do realize that what happened near the beginning of last season was not "run of the mill" as his daughter is concerned. It was more serious. He has never taken time away from his NBA career because of her that I can remember until then. I can assure you every NBA team would have given him the same time away given the situation.

Not once did I say the Spurs should have kept Rob- did I? I simply said his career is not over yet and I personally look forward to seeing him play in the NBA another year. Then again, I was a Robert Horry fan even when he played for Houston. I root for people not teams.

SenorSpur
07-27-2008, 02:15 PM
You do realize that what happened near the beginning of last season was not "run of the mill" as his daughter is concerned. It was more serious. He has never taken time away from his NBA career because of her that I can remember until then. I can assure you every NBA team would have given him the same time away given the situation.

Not once did I say the Spurs should have kept Rob- did I? I simply said his career is not over yet and I personally look forward to seeing him play in the NBA another year. Then again, I was a Robert Horry fan even when he played for Houston. I root for people not teams.

Fair enough and you're certainly entitled to your opinion about Horry's career. I will again say that if the situation with Horry's daughter is more dire than in year's past, that should put everything in perspective for him. After all, there are some things even bigger than roundball.