PDA

View Full Version : Iphone care for tips.

T Park
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Anyone have any advice for someone that has an Iphone?

Cleaning the screen, what to use for it, keeping the back of it nice and unscratched.

Secrets and stuff?

BTW, I love this freakin thing, i wore the battery down yesterday just screwing around with it alot :lol

leemajors
07-26-2008, 02:34 PM
i'd get a case, i like the iskin ones - but they don't have a 3g case out yet. i have the revo, and it comes with a protector for the screen that also makes it non-glossy. the cloth that comes with it should be fine for cleaning it, or any microfiber cloth. the iPhone is definitely a fun toy to play with - i'm not tired of playing with it after a year.

Dex
07-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah, definitely buy a protective case for it, preferably one with a screen cover. Some products have hard plastic covers; others have a thin, sticky film you lay over the screen. There are a plethora of brands with a plethora of styles, but you'll definitely get your best selection by going into your local Apple Store.

Also, the screen is made of a surprisingly solid material, but it can still scratch. Try to avoid keeping it in the same pockets as keys or other abrasive materials. I've got two little knicks on my iPod from before I got my case for it, and I always thought I was pretty careful with the thing.

Don't ever, ever get it wet. Try not to even leave it in the bathroom with you while you shower or anything like that, or the moisture can affect the board or affect the headphone port, and service providers can tell right away if there's been 'spill' damage and usually make you pay for it.

Also, get the APP to extend your warranty to 3-years. As long as you don't physically break the phone yourself, it will cover any other hardware failure the phone could have. And for Apple, it's usually more cost effective to just give you a new phone if your old phone breaks.

The damn things are addictive. I've had mine about a year now and I still have to be told to put the thing away and pay attention on many an occasion :)

leemajors
07-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah, definitely buy a protective case for it, preferably one with a screen cover. Some products have hard plastic covers; others have a thin, sticky film you lay over the screen. There are a plethora of brands with a plethora of styles, but you'll definitely get your best selection by going into your local Apple Store.

Also, the screen is made of a surprisingly solid material, but it can still scratch. Try to avoid keeping it in the same pockets as keys or other abrasive materials. I've got two little knicks on my iPod from before I got my case for it, and I always thought I was pretty careful with the thing.

Don't ever, ever get it wet. Try not to even leave it in the bathroom with you while you shower or anything like that, or the moisture can affect the board or affect the headphone port, and service providers can tell right away if there's been 'spill' damage and usually make you pay for it.

Also, get the APP to extend your warranty to 3-years. As long as you don't physically break the phone yourself, it will cover any other hardware failure the phone could have. And for Apple, it's usually more cost effective to just give you a new phone if your old phone breaks.

The damn things are addictive. I've had mine about a year now and I still have to be told to put the thing away and pay attention on many an occasion :)

APP for iPhone extends it to two years. 3 Years is only for portables, desktops, and displays.

Dex
07-26-2008, 05:26 PM
APP for iPhone extends it to two years. 3 Years is only for portables, desktops, and displays.

Derp, I stand corrected.

Only 2 years for the iPhones.

DannyT
07-26-2008, 06:58 PM
doesnt anyone ever have problems with that bitch slipping out their hands?

like dropping the soap...good thing I never became a felon

DannyT
07-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Like when driving....

Brutalis
07-26-2008, 10:11 PM
TPark goto Wally World. Some of them have the vision clinic, well in that area they sell these little cloths to wipe your glasses with. And they are also in the pharmacy section near the reading glasses. They are like 4 bucks and you get a couple large ones. If they are safe for glasses, they are safe for your screen. I use them and have no problems. You can't wash them either, they will get all matted up and rough. But someone told me this tip and it's sweet.

Thunder Dan
07-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I finally got mine- I got a leather case for it- but I'm not sure if I really like it. For some reason it makes me feel like it's really bulky. I also bought some screen covers but they have this weird wave or something that takes away from the clarity of the screen. Are there any screen covers that are crystal clear or are they all like this?

07-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Try this (http://www.bodyguardz.com/Phones_s/1.htm)

ducks
07-30-2008, 01:19 PM
give it to ducks

gay abc
07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.vajacases.com

hand made in argentina

i've had several cases made for my toys :spin

Thunder Dan
07-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Try this (http://www.bodyguardz.com/Phones_s/1.htm)

nice I just ordered those

DannyT
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
good shit...man let us know how they turn out and how much of a bitch it is to put them on...I think I might order one of them hand made joint does anyone have them and are they bulky

Beasters
08-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Those bodyguardz skins looks like it would be all i need, but those vaja cases are too tempting to pass up... even though it seems to be a bit bulky.

Any reviews on these cases?

ElNono
08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I have the Marware CEO sleeve for my iPod Touch and I'm in love with it.

Here's a link:
http://www.handhelditems.com/marware-ipod-touch-sleeve-p-12100.html

I don't personally use the clip, but I heard good things about it.

They have a model for the iPhone too.

gay abc
08-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Those bodyguardz skins looks like it would be all i need, but those vaja cases are too tempting to pass up... even though it seems to be a bit bulky.

Any reviews on these cases?

http://www.geek.com/review-vaja-iphone-cases/

Beasters
08-04-2008, 11:56 AM
http://www.geek.com/review-vaja-iphone-cases/

Awesome man. Appreciate it. I'm cloe to eligibility for a new phone and have have been wanting the iphone for too long now.

Whisky Dog
08-04-2008, 02:19 PM
I've had mine since last October, and it is still in pristine condition. Here's how I've taken care of it:

1) Immediately bought a Marware sportgrip case that pretty much covers everything but the screen, with holes for the headphones and docking port. It also gets thinner where the volume buttons and on/off button are which works very well, and the material is very grippy. I can set it on my car console right above my gear shifter and it doesn't slide at all, even on turns. Very easy to hold without dropping as well.

2) I initially bought a screen protector, but I hated it as it reduced the sensitivity on my touch screen. I took it off the same day I got it. I've found the screen itself to be highly scratch resistent, and the precaution I take is to give the phone it's own pocket in my jeans/pants. The phone is always in my right pocket with the headphones in the little pocket inside the right pocket of the jeans, and my keys go in my left pocket. Always.

3) For cleaning the screen, go to walmart and get a three pack of green glass cleaning microfiber cloths for about 3 or 4 bucks. They sell them in the automotive section, and those things clean the glass better than anything else I've tried - including the little cloth that came with it and all glasses cleaning cloths from vision centers.

To this day I consider that thing the most useful item I've bought in years (other than my car). I don't know how many times I've used the maps feature alone to find restaurants, addresses, and get directions.

Dex
08-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I've had mine since last October, and it is still in prestine condition. Here's how I've taken care of it:

1) Immediately bought a Marware silicon case that pretty much covers everything but the screen, with holes for the headphones and docking port. It also gets thinner where the volume buttons and on/off button are which works very well, and the material is very grippy. I can set it on my car console right above my gear shifter and it doesn't slide at all, even on turns. Very easy to hold without dropping as well.

2) I initially bought a screen protector, but I hated it as it reduced the sensitivity on my touch screen. I took it off the same day I got it. I've found the screen itself to be highly scratch resistent, and the precaution I take is to give the phone it's own pocket in my jeans/pants. The phone is always in my right pocket with the headphones in the little pocket inside the right pocket of the jeans, and my keys go in my left pocket. Always.

3) For cleaning the screen, go to walmart and get a three pack of green glass cleaning microfiber cloths for about 3 or 4 bucks. They sell them in the automotive section, and those things clean the glass better than anything else I've tried - including the little cloth that came with it and all glasses cleaning cloths from vision centers.

To this day I consider that thing the most useful item I've bought in years (other than my car). I don't know how many times I've used the maps feature alone to find restaurants, addresses, and get directions.

Yeah, I very rarely go anywhere I haven't been before without mapping it out on my iPod first.

And when I do, I usually get lost. :lmao

T Park
08-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Well before I could get the screen protector i dropped it maybe about 6 inches onto my counter top.

Small crack on the screen, and now has these small gray lines going from the sides.

I've got an appointment in the morning at the South Coast Plaza Apple store. Supposedly they said more than likely the phone will get replaced.
Before I fucked it up, I loved it to death :lol

Hopefully I can find a nice clear plastic hard case for it tommarow.

DannyT
08-06-2008, 09:22 AM
did you purchase the Iphone protection plan for 60 dollars?
if so can you tell me what all it covers...I know it doesnt cover it being stolen but not quite sure what it covers.

Shelly
08-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Well before I could get the screen protector i dropped it maybe about 6 inches onto my counter top.

Small crack on the screen, and now has these small gray lines going from the sides.

I've got an appointment in the morning at the South Coast Plaza Apple store. Supposedly they said more than likely the phone will get replaced.
Before I fucked it up, I loved it to death :lol

Hopefully I can find a nice clear plastic hard case for it tommarow.

About a month ago, I was walking in my 'hood and was at a 4-way stop. I had my phone in a first generation iPod carrying case (it's a little too big, but it suffices). Because there were a lot of cars waiting for me to cross the street, I jogged across. I think my arm caught on my headphone wire and yanked my phone out of the case and it landed face down in the middle of the street. I was thinking the worse, but luckily nothing happened...just a small scratch on the side that unless you look really hard for, you can't see. Phew!

BTW, occasionally your phone may freeze up or if you surfing or listening to music, it will kick you to the main screen. You'll need to reboot it, by holding down the lock button and the button on top of the phone at the same time. You'll know it worked when you get the apple logo. I was talking to some girl that had the 3G phone, and she got the white screen of death. She was ready to take it back when I told her how to reboot it and she got her main screen back.

Good luck with your phone...I've read some horror stories about people trying to exchange them.

leemajors
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
did you purchase the Iphone protection plan for 60 dollars?
if so can you tell me what all it covers...I know it doesnt cover it being stolen but not quite sure what it covers.

it's an extension of the limited warranty, nothing more. It doesn't cover physical damage.

DannyT
08-06-2008, 02:28 PM
so T-Park you had to pay for a new phone?
or was it covered in your insurance... is what I am getting at

cause if you had insurance and got it replaced then I am going today and buying this

T Park
08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
I had to pay for it.

It was pretty much "Were not responsible for you being a fuck up" :lol

Dex
08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Yeah, Apple doesn't cover accidental damage or 'act of God'. Just hardware failure....basically, if the phone fails.

Sometimes you can find third party companies that offer insurance for products such as computers and mobile devices...but you're gonna pay for it.

Really sucks that you dropped it, T. I've heard of some people's iPhones surviving some pretty amazing stuff, then I've heard of others taking one small drop the wrong way and breaking open or shattering the screen. I really think its just the luck of the draw on how physics wants to hit it.

I've dropped mine a couple times even though I swore I would never do it, but it's survived for the most part. I do, however, have a nice little scratch on the screen that popped up within the first couple weeks. The weird thing is, I've probably been LESS careful with it since that time, and have had no other issues since. Once again, probably just a case of wrong place, wrong time.

Whisky Dog
08-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I do, however, have a nice little scratch on the screen that popped up within the first couple weeks.

Keys... phone... same pocket?

TheSanityAnnex
08-07-2008, 01:54 AM
I've had my phone 11 months now, warranty is up in a month. I've never had a case and drop the fucker all the time, nothing has ever happened and I've had no problems up until now. It seems that a single line, like a little segment of the touchscreen doesn't work now. It really pisses me off when I try and text message with those certain letters.

Will the Apple store deny me a new phone just because mine is beat up looking? The screen is in good condition, its the back of the phone that is fucked up.

leemajors
08-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I've had my phone 11 months now, warranty is up in a month. I've never had a case and drop the fucker all the time, nothing has ever happened and I've had no problems up until now. It seems that a single line, like a little segment of the touchscreen doesn't work now. It really pisses me off when I try and text message with those certain letters.

Will the Apple store deny me a new phone just because mine is beat up looking? The screen is in good condition, its the back of the phone that is fucked up.

if it's just little dents and scratches they consider it normal wear and tear. bigger dents may be deemed damage. if they do deny you, you could probably give a sob story to CR, say it's your only Apple product, blah blah, and you may never buy another but were about to buy an iMac because you like it so much and they would probably cave as long as you were nice about it.