PDA

View Full Version : The one player who can make the difference

dbestpro
07-27-2008, 07:26 PM
There has been quite a few comments about the team's roster this off season. For me the future of the Spurs sits squarely on the shoulders of the evolution of one player.

It is Tony Parker. He is a great scoring point guard. He is a good shooting point guard. If he can add becoming a great assist/passing point guard then the Spurs are hands down better than any other team.

Tony needs to make the Spurs a motion 5 offense with each player a threat to score on an open shot. The offense of dribble, dribble, dribble, attack and shoot may work from time to time, but it hurts the flow of the offense as a whole.

If he can dribble attack and find the open man (x9-x10 apg), he will be the best point guard in the NBA and the Spurs will win another ring.

Anti.Hero
07-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Nope. It's all on Manu's shoulders.

TP is pretty damn consistent and great at what he does. He can make some pretty good assists.

It's Manu who is the wildcard every single night.

Brutalis
07-27-2008, 07:32 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0408/nba_g_shaq_duncan_580.jpg

/random

Mr.Bottomtooth
You're both wrong. It's Matt Bonner.

He's a ginger, and took out both Mark Madsen and Kevin Garnett.

If he finally shows that he can be a smart player, our bigman rotation will be solid, can stretch out the D, and will rape.

Then again, same can be said about Tolliver. But I'll give the edge to Bonner since he's already proven he can play on the NBA level.

Mr.Bottomtooth
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0408/nba_g_shaq_duncan_580.jpg

/random

:lol

wisnub
07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Nope. It's all on Manu's shoulders.

TP is pretty damn consistent and great at what he does. He can make some pretty good assists.

It's Manu who is the wildcard every single night.

I hate to admit it..but its true. Manu is always be a deciding factor. When he start to throw the ball to random fans (maybe he got confused for split second) or off on the jumpres....normally we lost,unless bench stepping up which is rare at least on 2008 season

Brutalis
07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Glad you caught the joke. I bet nobody else does.

duncan228
07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
The player who has made the difference for all 4 Titles.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/12-17one.jpg

Brutalis
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM

True, yet wouldn't be half the player he is nor would he have had any shot at being where he is today if it wasn't for..

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolr/david-robinson-admiral-400-010907.jpg

:p:

duncan228
07-27-2008, 07:52 PM
True, yet wouldn't be half the player he is nor would he have had any shot at being where he is today if it wasn't for..

:p:

Duncan can't win it alone. No one can. It's taken every cast of characters he's had to get it done. He learned from Robinson, he's thrived with Parker and Manu and Bowen.

But he's the only constant in all 4. :)

mrspurs
07-27-2008, 07:52 PM
nah in my book its on timmy, i for one as well as a few friends a few months ago it seems, thought when the PO's started timmy was gonna turn it up another level, and then adding to that level as the games and teams wore on .(like he normally does, like a monster)guys like shaq and amare, tyson and west never had anyother reason to leave timmys side for one second...imo timmy struggled more then tony and manu...cant blame him really thou, since david he hasnt had much help.....how is it that LA and NO have 2 allstar bigs? and we only have one....sometimes mother nature isnt fair in basketball either....and the hits just keep on coming..go spurs go

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2008, 07:53 PM

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/12-17one.jpg

I can't help but notice how weird that picture is. I mean, the ball is coming right at you Tim. Fucking catch it, don't stick your finger in the air. :lol

duncan228
07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
I can't help but notice how weird that picture is. I mean, the ball is coming right at you Tim. Fucking catch it, don't stick your finger in the air. :lol

If I remember right it was a dead ball. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2008, 07:55 PM
If I remember right it was a dead ball. :lol

Okay good.
But for the sake of comedy, I'll keep imagining it going right for him. :downspin:

duncan228
07-27-2008, 07:57 PM
But for the sake of comedy, I'll keep imagining it going right for him. :downspin:

KG_ZHSUonK4

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2008, 07:59 PM
KG_ZHSUonK4

:lol That's hilarious every time.

urunobili
07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper634/stills/q2rl4mew.jpg

duncan228
07-27-2008, 08:01 PM
In slow motion...

MljtCOZ1m_c

exstatic
07-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Tony will never be a big assist PG. The motion offense doesn't allow one player, not even the PG, to dominate the ball.

Indazone
07-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Oh c'mon everybody knows that the one player who will make the difference is

GEORGE HILL! LOL

sprrs
07-27-2008, 08:59 PM
KG_ZHSUonK4

:lol at Manu trying to hold back his laughter.

DPG21920
07-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Glad you caught the joke. I bet nobody else does.

Is it the number 4?

porksword
07-27-2008, 09:15 PM
I gotta say the one player to make a difference this year is JAMES GIST

Who else would it be?

ducks
07-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Tony will never be a big assist PG. The motion offense doesn't allow one player, not even the PG, to dominate the ball.

yes but nash has all those assist
and with suns old coach his assist went up over 3 a game
because a plyer as to shot the ball in 7 seconds or less

rj215
07-27-2008, 11:09 PM
healthy 20 + healthy 21 + healthy 9 = at least a Finals appearance in 08-09

Trainwreck2100
07-27-2008, 11:14 PM
JAMES motherf#cking WHITE!!!!!

Samr
07-27-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry, but, I don't think Manu was trying to hold back anything except maybe peeing his pants. Generally-speaking, when I am trying to hold back laughter, I turn away from the hilarious situation and try to strike a conversation with the first warm body I encounter. In that video, Manu bent over double and he appeared to be pointing and laughing. Sorry, not buying it. He thought the ball to Tim's face was funny and he was wanting everyone in the gym to join in on the hilarity.

Back on focus, there are five guys on the floor, and more than twice that on the bench. As important as one person (Tim, Manu, or Tony) may be, it takes every person on that bench to be on top of their game in order for the Spurs to win the championship. One player hurts, the entire team hurts. Last year, Horry could have made the difference, or Finley, or Bonner or Duncan or Vaughn or Manu or Barry or Parker.

Do you know who makes the biggest difference? The trainers. Ultimately, if they aren't on their game, the Spurs aren't either.

midgetonadonkey
07-27-2008, 11:26 PM
George Hill!

Seriously, his play will make the difference this season.

ducks
07-27-2008, 11:30 PM
mason
why
he will either let manu be able to only play 30 minutes a game
or pop might be forced to play manu more and use him up before the playoffs

knee-knee-3
07-27-2008, 11:58 PM
mason
why
he will either let manu be able to only play 30 minutes a game
or pop might be forced to play manu more and use him up before the playoffs

I agree. Also, if Matt Bonner decides to retire, it might make a helluva difference.

honestfool84
07-28-2008, 12:16 AM
mason, hill, and then mahinmi, in that order.

mason, to make sure manu only plays -30 minutes a game.

hill, to help manu when parker is sitting. (not that manu needs help, just saying..)

and mahinmi, to (in my mind's eye), be a small shadow of #50.

dbestpro
07-28-2008, 08:48 AM
There are good arguments as to why we won in the past. My point is what will make us win it all in the future? How do we improve our offense? Our defense was not the problem. Continued offense isolations simply are not working at this point for the big three at the playoff level.

How do you get to that team offense? Parker must take his game up one more level and ass 9-10 assists to his point guard repertoire. After all, point guard is the position that is suppose to setup the offense and keep every player engaged on offense. Otherwise, the offense will flounder and we will be a middle of the pack to lower round level playoff team.

KidCongo
07-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Maybe Parker and TD should start practicing some alley oops.

homer
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
There are good arguments as to why we won in the past. My point is what will make us win it all in the future? How do we improve our offense? Our defense was not the problem. Continued offense isolations simply are not working at this point for the big three at the playoff level.

How do you get to that team offense? Parker must take his game up one more level and ass 9-10 assists to his point guard repertoire. After all, point guard is the position that is suppose to setup the offense and keep every player engaged on offense. Otherwise, the offense will flounder and we will be a middle of the pack to lower round level playoff team.

:nopeAssists are overrated. It's just a pass to a shooter who takes and makes the shot. Nash gets so many assists off of the pick and roll with Amare dunking it's rediculous. A monkey could make that pass. With the Spurs offensive struggles, TP will never have high assist numbers until the Spurs get some consistent scorers. The difference maker(s) this year will be the 2 gaurd position, whoever plays it. The SF(3) position should make a big difference also IMO. We've added some decent shooters to the team.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Maybe Parker and TD should start practicing some alley oops.

Only if Bruce and Manu start practicing ways to distract the officials while Tim sneaks a mini-trampoline out onto the court.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Wanting "just" a 10 assist average from a point guard is like wanting "just" a double double average from a big man.

Even if Parker got it, folks here would find something else to complain about him.

urunobili
07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
TP would never had 10 assists a game since he and Manu share the playmaking responsibilities for the team.. if you sum up TP's and Manu's assists we have like 11 a game all regular season.. that's teamwork... :)

Solid D
07-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Even if Manu doesn't play, TP wouldn't normally have high assist numbers. 2 primary reasons:
1 (as exstatic mentioned) motion offense gets the ball to the open player from multiple players. TP enters the offense with the first pass and TP may or may not get the ball again during a given possession.
2 Tim Duncan, whether posting-up or on screen/rolls, Duncan handles the ball with great frequency and he distributes it well.

Josepatches
07-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Parker hasn't a lot of talent to pass the ball.He is not able to make good one handed passes with the left hand.He doesn't have a great vision of the court.Manu makes 2 games with more than 10 assist when TP was out and he never was PG but he has more ability with the ball on his hands.
The key of TP is his speed and quickness.

The player who has to make the difference is TD like always.Without him we will be a lottery team.When Duncan retires we will not make the playoffs if TP has to be the leader of the team.He's not one of the top10 NBA players,even he's not one of the top20.
Right now if he has to be the leader then easily he could be one of the worst franchise player of the NBA except teams like Charlotte,New York or Indiana

nil.ball
07-29-2008, 09:59 AM
lol funny vids, i forgot the thread title.

Fingaroll44
07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
sometimes mother nature isnt fair in basketball either....and the hits just keep on coming...

we won the lottery twice...both in years where the first pick was all universe...

I. Hustle
07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Matt Bonner is the one player that can make a difference. If he leaves and opens up a spot for someone else. That will help us out :lol

Fingaroll44
07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree. Also, if Matt Bonner decides to retire, it might make a helluva difference.

LOL...why does everyone ride Bonner so hard...

timaios
07-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Parker hasn't a lot of talent to pass the ball.He is not able to make good one handed passes with the left hand.He doesn't have a great vision of the court.Manu makes 2 games with more than 10 assist when TP was out and he never was PG but he has more ability with the ball on his hands.
The key of TP is his speed and quickness.

The player who has to make the difference is TD like always.Without him we will be a lottery team.When Duncan retires we will not make the playoffs if TP has to be the leader of the team.He's not one of the top10 NBA players,even he's not one of the top20.
Right now if he has to be the leader then easily he could be one of the worst franchise player of the NBA except teams like Charlotte,New York or Indiana

When Duncan retires, there will be 20-22 mil to spend for 1 or 2 players.
I think the Spurs can have someone who can play basketball for that price.

Fingaroll44
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
A monkey could make that pass.

Maybe we need to scout out the monkey cages @ SW Research Institute then...because i've seen us run the pick and roll plenty....and Tony gets trapped and dribbles & dribbles & dribbles....the picker rolls to the bucket wide open for a small window of time....yet the pass isnt delivered on time or at all....you aren't giving Nash enough credit in this instance...he puts the passes right on the money...w/ out looking most of the time...its not as ez as you profess....ive seen us run the pick and roll and have to try and set it up over and over until....oh no..the shot clock ...THREE TWO ONE (bench yelling out countdown).....tony shoots rushed off balance shot...*clang*