PDA

View Full Version : Nadal #1 Watch...

1Parker1
07-27-2008, 08:39 PM
With a win today at the Toronto Masters, it's inevitable that Roger Federer's rein as #1 will end sooner than later in Men's tennis. Absolutely unbelievable.

That Wimbledon match may have hurt Federer's mentality a lot more than people realize. How do you guys think the rest of the year will fare out? With the US Open and Aussie Open remaining?

Any thoughts on Federer's sudden weakness and inability to close out and Nadal's drastic improvements on courts which are NOT clay??

carina_gino20
07-29-2008, 01:00 AM
It's incredible how much the gap has gone smaller. Nadal's improvement on surfaces other than clay have been wonderful to watch. Federer will probably hold on to the top for awhile. But Nadal will have to win in Cincinnati and Roger will have to lose before the semis for Nadal to overtake. Given Roger's uncharacteristic loss to Simon in Toronto, I think him staying out of the semis is unlikely.

But yeah, I think the clock is ticking much louder now for Roger.

mavsfan1000
07-29-2008, 02:41 AM
It's incredible how much the gap has gone smaller. Nadal's improvement on surfaces other than clay have been wonderful to watch. Federer will probably hold on to the top for awhile. But Nadal will have to win in Cincinnati and Roger will have to lose before the semis for Nadal to overtake. Given Roger's uncharacteristic loss to Simon in Toronto, I think him staying out of the semis is unlikely.

But yeah, I think the clock is ticking much louder now for Roger.
Actually it is a lot closer than that. The Points from Montreal and Cincinnati from last year won't be erased for 2 weeks since they started the tournaments 2 weeks earlier this year due to the Olympics. August 18 is the key day to when Nadal could be number 1 in the world. He only has to get to the Semis. That is if Fed wins Cincinnati. Than the Olympics will be the decider. Nadal only got to the 4th round last year at the US Open so he can gain a lot of points there as well. So I expect Nadal to be number 1 soon. My guess is after the US Open.

lebomb
07-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Wow.......its not like Federer has gotten that much worse, its just Nadal has gotten that much better.

florige
07-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Wow.......its not like Federer has gotten that much worse, its just Nadal has gotten that much better.

Exactly! IF Nadal could had figured out how to win a single tie break against Federer in last year's Wimbledon he would had won last year too.

1Parker1
07-29-2008, 11:13 AM

It's not just Nadal he's lost to. He's also lost to Novak in the Aussie Open and lost early in tournaments and masters more than he's ever had. His confidence is significantly shaken right now and he doesn't have that same finesse and calmness to his game that unnerved his opponents as he previously has had.

carina_gino20
07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
It's not just Nadal he's lost to. He's also lost to Novak in the Aussie Open and lost early in tournaments and masters more than he's ever had. His confidence is significantly shaken right now and he doesn't have that same finesse and calmness to his game that unnerved his opponents as he previously has had.

I think a lot of it has to do with the sense of invincibility fading away. Opponents have seen him lose this year. Going into a match with him, they know he's still the boss, but they also know that if they play hard, they just might get lucky and beat him. Roger seems to be wavering right now and opponents are picking up on it.

dbreiden83080
07-29-2008, 10:50 PM
It is a huge mistake to count Roger out of the US open. Nadal has never played well there and Roger has won it 4 years in a row. I think Roger being sick at the start of the year was a huge factor and his opposition has gotten better. Even if he loses at the Open, I would bet he comes back with a vengence next season, he is not done, far from it.

angelbelow
07-30-2008, 01:36 AM
nadal has been impressive this entire year, i'll be following him closely.

mavsfan1000
07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
6-0 6-1 for Nadal on a very fast hard court in Cincinnati.

usckk
07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Nadal is gained significant ground on Federer since the past year, in not overtaken him right now. Last year, he was close, but this year, he's even better. On surfaces other than clay, he's still dominating his opponents, unlike past years. This fact alone should demonstrate how good Nadal really is this year. His new aggressive style has transformed him into an all-surface player.

I expect Nadal to be ranked #1 in the world by the end of the year. By next year, a new dynasty will begin.

GO RAFA!

lebomb
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Fed lost 7-6, 4-6, 7-6

Hello #1 Nadal........

1Parker1
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/8397984?MSNHPHMA

:wow Federer loses in the 2nd round @ Cincinatti. Ok, now this is just becoming scary. He barely sqeaked by in the first round as it is, now he lost in the 2nd round to an unknown...AGAIN after the Toronto Masters. Absolutely amazing. :depressed

dbreiden83080
07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/8397984?MSNHPHMA

:wow Federer loses in the 2nd round @ Cincinatti. Ok, now this is just becoming scary. He barely sqeaked by in the first round as it is, now he lost in the 2nd round to an unknown...AGAIN after the Toronto Masters. Absolutely amazing. :depressed

I saw the match and he is not right, something is very much wrong. I question his health this season. You know he had Mono at the start of the year?? My father had that many years ago and he told me even when the doctors said he was fine, he still felt very tired for about 6 months. If you have a bad case, it can really mess you up for a while. I am wondering if that is too an extent going on with Roger. I mean Nadal is Nadal we know how great he is but Roger used to be off the court with scrubs like he lost to today in about 45 min. Something is not right.

1Parker1
07-31-2008, 07:20 PM
^The mono excuse is getting a little stretched. He himself has said health wise he feels fine. And he has made it the Finals of the 3 last majors (Aussie Open, French Open, Wimbledon). Losing in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the Toronto and Cincinnati Masters to players who aren't even in the top 50-100 is not Mono-Related.

1Parker1
07-31-2008, 07:22 PM
The problem with Federer right now is between his ears. His confidence is completely shot right now and combine that with the fact that his next 2 competitors have gotten better and gained confidence (Nadal and Djokovic). He needs to consider getting a coach also.

I think next year he may be able to come back with a vengeance, but I cannot see him winning the US and Aussie Open this year like last year.

dbreiden83080
07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
The problem with Federer right now is between his ears. His confidence is completely shot right now and combine that with the fact that his next 2 competitors have gotten better and gained confidence (Nadal and Djokovic). He needs to consider getting a coach also.

I think next year he may be able to come back with a vengeance, but I cannot see him winning the US and Aussie Open this year like last year.

I think losing the Wimbledon final has taken something out of him mentally for the moment. That was his baby for so many years and now Nadal took it away from him. I don't count him out of anything though, he is one of the most mentally tough players of all time. He knows he has to re-bound from this. We'll see what happens at the Open.

dbreiden83080
07-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Losing in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the Toronto and Cincinnati Masters to players who aren't even in the top 50-100 is not Mono-Related.

I'm not saying it is entirely about that but it could be lingering a little bit and he is just not talking about it. Hell Roger should not have to be all there mentally to beat a nobody like he lost too today.

carina_gino20
08-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Nadal advances. It's either this Sunday or August 18. Even if Nadal somehow loses, he's only postponing the changing of the guards.

dbreiden83080
08-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Nadal advances. It's either this Sunday or August 18. Even if Nadal somehow loses, he's only postponing the changing of the guards.

Nadal needs to win the US Open if he truly wants to be seen as the best player in the world. I'm not impressed with these rinky dink tournaments leading up to the Open. He has never played very well at the Open, lets see what happens.

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 03:06 PM
He's the best!

1Parker1
08-03-2008, 02:18 PM
August 18th it will be official. Rafael Nadal to end Roger Federer's rein as #1 for 235 consecutive weeks.

I think more so than what Nadal has done, this is a testament to what Federer has been able to do for the past 3 years. As he's shown his human side this year, it makes it all the more unbelievable that he was able to do what he's done. Hopefully one day soon, Federer will be able to regain that #1 spot. :depressed

1Parker1
08-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Alright guys, let's start the Olympics bet. Who do you say will bring home the Gold Medal in Men's Tennis; Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, or someone else?

1Parker1
08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Federer loses to James Blake, a guy he's beaten 9 straight times, in the Olympics and is now out of medal contention. Unbelievable.

I think this thread title should be changed to: Federer Retirement Watch. :wow

He needs to do something, because now it's all just mental with him.

dbreiden83080
08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
This season has turned into a nightmare for Roger. I really hope he gets himself together by next season.

carina_gino20
08-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Federer loses to James Blake, a guy he's beaten 9 straight times, in the Olympics and is now out of medal contention. Unbelievable.

I think this thread title should be changed to: Federer Retirement Watch. :wow

He needs to do something, because now it's all just mental with him.

That's what I'm thinking too. I've always seen Roger and Tim in the same light, because they're very cerebral players. That gives them huge advantage against their opponents. And yet I wonder if it's that same strength that's becoming Roger's weakness now. He's better than this, and yet he has fallen short in the past few months. I don't think he's game has declined so much. His cloak of invincibility is just gone now and it's taking a toll on him mentally.

The only good thing for him is he gets more rest for the US Open.

1Parker1
08-14-2008, 11:58 AM
^I think he's starting to tighten up when games get close. If a player plays aggressively from the start and jumps out at Roger, he has a slow time now getting back into rythmn. I think in a lot of these matches he's lost badly the first couple sets. :depressed

1Parker1
08-18-2008, 12:17 PM
BUMP.

It's official, today Rafa has ended Federers 235 consecutive weeks as #1. Congrats to Rafa and here's hoping we get to see many more tournaments like Wimbleton between these two.