PDA

View Full Version : The Rookies

midgetonadonkey
07-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Will make a huge difference this coming season. I know nobody has heard of them and they played average during the summer league but they will pick it up during the regular season. Everybody forgets that we have 3 all-world players as starters and were one healthy ankle away from a repeat.

Hill will be a more solid backup than Vaughn ever was. Tolliver and Gist will be solid contributors off the bench. These three will make our new team younger and more competitive than ever. Bank on it.

Spurtacus
07-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Will make a huge difference this coming season. I know nobody has heard of them and they played average during the summer league but they will pick it up during the regular season. Everybody forgets that we have 3 all-world players as starters and were one healthy ankle away from a repeat.

Hill will be a more solid backup than Vaughn ever was. Tolliver and Gist will be solid contributors off the bench. These three will make our new team younger and more competitive than ever. Bank on it.

Bold prediction. Quoted, bookmarked, printed out.

mrspurs
07-28-2008, 06:26 AM
great post, and i hope your right, but the nba gods dont see rookies making a difference in their first season.....anyways its not the rookies who make the difference, its the starters and one player or two players off the bench......spurs are still one player away from gettting back to the WCF, and imo pop will have to coach his behind off in order to achieve that goal with this current roste...next season could be on of the worst seasons the big 3 have seen together....we may hold our own during the season cos now NO knows when to really play, but come PO time with this current roster, teams have a field day in the paint

exstatic
07-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Tolliver technically isn't a rookie. If we had signed him to a two year deal, and wanted to send him to Austin for a stretch in 2009-2010, we couldn't because of those handful of games he played for Cleveland last year.

Good post, though, Midge.

tlongII
07-28-2008, 09:24 AM
:lmao

The Spurs have one of the worst collection of rookies I've ever seen a team take into an NBA season! They will make a huge difference all right, just not in the direction you hope for.

bdictjames
07-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Who is that girl on your avatar?

I. Hustle
07-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Or you can have a ton of awesome top notch rookies like the blazers have had for the past couple of years and not do anything with them. Here is my idea for the Spurs organization. Play crappy for a bunch of years to guarantee some high first round draft picks then stack up a bunch of rookie talent and in 20 - 30 years we can be a pretty decent team.

hater
07-28-2008, 09:38 AM
James Gist >> Oden

can't wait till Gist dunks on Oden's head

JoeChalupa
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM

Isn't that elizabeth shoe?

JoeChalupa
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Oden will be a major force. Go Buckeyes!!

Kindergarten Cop
07-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Tolliver technically isn't a rookie. If we had signed him to a two year deal, and wanted to send him to Austin for a stretch in 2009-2010, we couldn't because of those handful of games he played for Cleveland last year.

Good post, though, Midge.

Are you sure that he wouldn't be classified as a rookie? Tolliver played in 3 preseason games, but was waived before the season began and has yet to even log a minute in a regular season game in the NBA.

midgetonadonkey
07-28-2008, 09:58 AM

It's Elizabeth Shue.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-28-2008, 10:05 AM
:lmao

The Spurs have one of the worst collection of rookies I've ever seen a team take into an NBA season! They will make a huge difference all right, just not in the direction you hope for.

They'll make it off the bench during their rookie years. Better than some I've heard of.

Whisky Dog
07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
If the Spurs are to have a great season and take another title it's going to be more because of Roger Mason lightining it up than the rookies. The rookies just have to be serviceable, but Mason needs to be both an offensive and defensive force.

Mister Sinister
07-28-2008, 10:19 AM
They'll make it off the couch during their rookie years. Better than some I've heard of.
>_> <_< >_>

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-28-2008, 10:26 AM
I fully agree with everything midgetonadonkey said.

BacktoBasics
07-28-2008, 10:39 AM
I think it will about the relief minutes vs. contributing stat lines.

I don't see how any of these guys are or could be capable of producing big numbers but I do think the added depth twords the end of the season will surely help come playoff time.

I expect the Spurs core to average less minutes and be a bit healthier come post season and this will be because the young guys can help stretch their season.

ceperez
07-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I think it will about the relief minutes vs. contributing stat lines.

I don't see how any of these guys are or could be capable of producing big numbers but I do think the added depth twords the end of the season will surely help come playoff time.

I expect the Spurs core to average less minutes and be a bit healthier come post season and this will be because the young guys can help stretch their season.

The Spurs F.O. preference is to acquyire efficient players, not necessarily players that score a ton of points but require a lot of playing time to get into gear (see: Michael Finley). So guys like Tolliver and Gist are ideal when they can come in and hit the 3 or grab the offensive rebound. Hill may be a big contributor in defense but I'm not sure yet if he needs playing time to get scoring. Mahinmi however I think isn't an efficient player.

Mason however I expect to log a lot of playing time. That's what he did when Arenas was injured, and that's how he is most effective. He's okay, because he isn't turnover prone when he brings up the ball. What people don't realize in this god forsaken board is that Mason despite listed as a SG, brings up the ball in the Wizard's offense.

Now if all these guys (Mason, Hill, Mahinmi, Gist, Tolliver) can contribute 20 points combines a game, then we should be golden. Big three contributes, 54 points a game. The rest, Bonner, Udoka, Oberto, Thomas, Bonner, Vaughn will need only to add 16 ppg for us to hit 90ppg. Is that too much to ask from our scrubs?

SKINNYPIMP210
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
The Spurs F.O. preference is to acquyire efficient players, not necessarily players that score a ton of points but require a lot of playing time to get into gear (see: Michael Finley). So guys like Tolliver and Gist are ideal when they can come in and hit the 3 or grab the offensive rebound. Hill may be a big contributor in defense but I'm not sure yet if he needs playing time to get scoring. Mahinmi however I think isn't an efficient player.

Mason however I expect to log a lot of playing time. That's what he did when Arenas was injured, and that's how he is most effective. He's okay, because he isn't turnover prone when he brings up the ball. What people don't realize in this god forsaken board is that Mason despite listed as a SG, brings up the ball in the Wizard's offense.

Now if all these guys (Mason, Hill, Mahinmi, Gist, Tolliver) can contribute 20 points combines a game, then we should be golden. Big three contributes, 54 points a game. The rest, Bonner, Udoka, Oberto, Thomas, Bonner, Vaughn will need only to add 16 ppg for us to hit 90ppg. Is that too much to ask from our scrubs?

:lol You put Bonners name twice at the bottom! Maybe if we had two of him then he could contribute but I'm hoping we trade him. That would be nice if the newbies could average 20 ppg but I was thinking maybe 25-30 ppg. :hat

I. Hustle
07-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't even want the guy once.

ceperez
07-28-2008, 12:29 PM
:lol You put Bonners name twice at the bottom! Maybe if we had two of him then he could contribute but I'm hoping we trade him. That would be nice if the newbies could average 20 ppg but I was thinking maybe 25-30 ppg. :hat

Typo, I meant Bowen. Bowen is worth at least 6ppg and possibly has the highest average ppg in that short list!

Walton Buys Off Me
07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
This season is interesting in that it's the first one in a long time when the Spurs have actually come out and said they need to get younger. It's a good time to be a rookie on this team in that you get to play with Tony Parker and Tim Duncan and your youth and athletism is being called upon to contribute.

Here's hoping we get something real and tangible out of at least one of these four; Hill, Mahinmi, Gist and Tolliver.

Tully365
07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
If the Spurs are to have a great season and take another title it's going to be more because of Roger Mason lightining it up than the rookies. The rookies just have to be serviceable, but Mason needs to be both an offensive and defensive force.

I agree-- if Roger Mason continues to improve, he will be an upgrade over an older Finley. His shooting percentages are better than Finley's, so if he can average 12 ppg and play good defense, the starting lineup will be quite a bit improved. The Spurs don't need a ton of scoring from the rookies--they mostly need good D, smart play, limited fouls & turnovers. If Mahinmi, Hill, Gist, and Tolliver (assuming they're all on the opening day roster) provide 12-15 ppg combined, that will replace what Horry & Barry scored. If I had to bet right now, I'd guess they're going to bring back Finley for one more year.

I really think the defense and rebounding will be improved next year, meaning any small improvement in scoring will have even greater than usual benefits.

ceperez
07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I agree-- if Roger Mason continues to improve, he will be an upgrade over an older Finley. His shooting percentages are better than Finley's, so if he can average 12 ppg and play good defense, the starting lineup will be quite a bit improved. The Spurs don't need a ton of scoring from the rookies--they mostly need good D, smart play, limited fouls & turnovers. If Mahinmi, Hill, Gist, and Tolliver (assuming they're all on the opening day roster) provide 12-15 ppg combined, that will replace what Horry & Barry scored. If I had to bet right now, I'd guess they're going to bring back Finley for one more year.

I really think the defense and rebounding will be improved next year, meaning any small improvement in scoring will have even greater than usual benefits.

Barry certainly is our biggest lost on the offensive end. Horry's contributions were negligible. I also expect Finley's numbers to be on the decline. I'm unsure if Mason by himself can pickup the slack of these 3 players. If Tolliver and Mahinmi can give us consistent numbers then we should be okay.

On the defensive side, the picture is much clearer. Mason, Hill and Gist are definitely going to be very disruptive.

Dglue
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I am on the same page as backtobasics. If Hill can snatch some steals or Mahinmi could be somewhat of a shot blocking presence, than I am satisfied. We haven't really had a good blocking presence next to TD for quite sometime now. And Mahinmi of course will make a lot of fouls, but if he can just alter a shot or two and block 1 shot a game, than I'll take that. If it even accounts for say like four points less against in a close game, I'm glad.

A lot of people just don't take in account that Mahinmi was like the 26th pick (sorry if this is incorrect I'm doing this on top of my head, way too lazy to look it up) and the chance for him becoming a bust is way bigger than becoming a steady rotation player on a contender. I see him as an Elson with potential.

SenorSpur
07-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Barry certainly is our biggest lost on the offensive end. Horry's contributions were negligible. I also expect Finley's numbers to be on the decline. I'm unsure if Mason by himself can pickup the slack of these 3 players. If Tolliver and Mahinmi can give us consistent numbers then we should be okay.

On the defensive side, the picture is much clearer. Mason, Hill and Gist are definitely going to be very disruptive.

Keep in mind, we didn't have Barry for most of last season anyway.

Agree on Horry.

Duplicating Finley's production will be the key for Mason.

K-State Spur
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM

If Mason just stays where he's at from last year, he's a big upgrade from Finley's play last season.

Not to mention that he's going to get better looks than he ever saw in DC. Butler/Jamison are nice players (especially Butler), but neither really commands frequent double teams.

SenorSpur
07-28-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree with most who feel our overall team defense will be much improved with all the rooks. That advantage should be evident immediately.

I also agree that the biggest factor in shoring up the scoring droughts, aside from a healthy Manu ankle, will be the production of Mason. If he assumes the role of the starting 2-guard, and can at least duplicate or better the offensive output of Finley (9+ ppg or more), that will help considerably.

As the expected primary backup to TP, Hill will be an automatic offensive improvement from Vaughn, simply due to his ability to get to the rim and draw fouls. Even while he is finding his outside shot.

Whatever offense obtained from Gist and Tolliver will be a bonus.

Bartleby
07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I think the big question mark will be whether or not the rookies will play well enough during the regular season to get Pop's trust during the playoffs. I don't expect them to get big minutes in the playoffs, but they are going to have to show that they can produce in crunch time. I don't see the Spurs going very deep with just a seven or eight man rotation.

SenorSpur
07-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I think the big question mark will be whether or not the rookies will play well enough during the regular season to get Pop's trust during the playoffs. I don't expect them to get big minutes in the playoffs, but they are going to have to show that they can produce in crunch time. I don't see the Spurs going very deep with just a seven or eight man rotation.

Bingo!

nkdlunch
07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
yup, I also really doubt the rookies having much impact. I expect 2 of the 3 main rookies to be sent to the NBDL. I really hope 1 of them makes the roster though.

More importantly I think we should worry about 3 guys:
1. Ian, he needs to show what he's been working on last couple of years
2. Udoka, he needs to improve from last season, his BBIQ needs to be better with gained experience
3. Mason needs to come and have an impact, he has most chance of any new spur to get important minutes

these 3 need to become role players and right now this is pretty much an unknown.

IMO Spurs office is betting the farm on these 3 players(along w/KT). I dont' think they are expecting much from the rookies. neither should we.

Bartleby
07-28-2008, 04:12 PM
I was thinking of Ian as a rookie, but of course, he isn't since he has already played in the NBA. Like a lot of posters here, I was more optimistic about what he will bring before his summer league play, but I think/hope that playing next to Tim and practicing with the Spurs may speed his development *fingers crossed*

ceperez
07-28-2008, 04:18 PM

That logic of sticking with a 7/8 man rotation in the playoffs is what's going to cause our demise. The western conference is extremely tough, and you need to have your stars fresh when you reach the conference championships. Anything less will mean you get booted out (see last season for reference)!

The Boston Celtics, despite having to play extended series for the entire playoffs where able to pull it off. Why? Well look at all the youth in their lineup: Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, Leon Powe, Davis these guys play a lot of minutes, do a lot of physical stuff and are all under 23.

I would love to see Mahinmi, Gist, Tolliver and Hill force the other team work for everything while our starters cool off on the bench. I think Hill, Gist and Tolliver have the right attitude to work their butts of in defense. Mahinmi... well I think he's all finnese, I would trade him for a true banger!