PDA

View Full Version : Manu lost an award of 'best hispanic basketball player of the year' to....

zocool16
07-28-2008, 12:58 AM
...Carmelo Anthony

Melo won and attended the awards show titled "Tecate Premios Deportes"

He even spoke a little spanish.

I interviewed him afterwards and asked him about latinos in basketball and how they stacked up against the US. If you wanna read the interview, check it out at:

http://www.insidesocal.com/deportes

It's in spanish though, sorry for the english-only readers, im sure someone can translate it though =).

*important: please leave comments on my blog, thanks forum. =)

Trainwreck2100
07-28-2008, 01:00 AM
So a black guy beat out a white guy for hispanic player of the year?

knee-knee-3
07-28-2008, 01:08 AM

:lol

O-Factor
07-28-2008, 01:30 AM

:lmao

Robinzine
07-28-2008, 02:14 AM
What a stupid award. What next - Irish basketball player of the year? Best Jewish power forward? Best white player of European origin? Best foreign born black player?

Give me a break. These types of awards only put people in divisions and marginalize them. They serve no other purpose.

timvp
07-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Irish basketball player of the year?Pat Burke.

Best Jewish power forward?Yaniv Green.

Best white player of European origin?Dirk Nowitzki.

Best foreign born black player?Tony Parker.

Ginobilly
07-28-2008, 02:48 AM
what a weird award that was, I never knew Carmelo was Hispanic. I think though Manu should have won cause he has stated that he is of Spanish/Italian pure decent.

mystargtr34
07-28-2008, 03:01 AM
:lol timvp

JPB
07-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Best foreign born black player?

Tony Parker.

:nope

TP = Best foreign half dutch half US black french naturalized, born in Belgium player.

PM5K
07-28-2008, 03:45 AM
His dad was Puerto Rican...

ElNono
07-28-2008, 06:36 AM
What's even worse is that Melo is the one that did worse last season amongst the nominated (Melo, Manu, Pau). Besides Pau probably being the one deserving it, they're probably still butt-hurt over Manu never showing up to the award ceremony (and sending a tape) the last 3 or so years he won the award.

mrspurs
07-28-2008, 07:00 AM
:nope

TP = Best foreign half dutch half US black french naturalized, born in Belgium player.

great block......hahahaha

urunobili
07-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Mexican award for basketball? weird...

exstatic
07-28-2008, 07:35 AM
What's even worse is that Melo is the one that did worse last season amongst the nominated (Melo, Manu, Pau). Besides Pau probably being the one deserving it, they're probably still butt-hurt over Manu never showing up to the award ceremony (and sending a tape) the last 3 or so years he won the award.

Well, perhaps if they want someone international to show up, they shouldn't award the thing in the middle of the fucking offseason.

gospursgojas
07-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Mexican award for basketball? weird...

The only current Mexican player in the league that I know of is Najera

I. Hustle
07-28-2008, 09:22 AM
That is just retarded. All they want to do is say “Wow you are good… for a hispanic guy.” It’s dumb that they give these awards out and the winners don’t even know they are being patronized. Also hispanic doesn’t mean mexican automatically. It was a wide range of spanish speaking people that are lumped together and given that name to categorize us. A white guy can be a white guy and a black guy can be a black guy but we gotta be hispanic?! From now on I will refer to myself as a brown guy.

“During the 1970s, the United States Government defined the term "Hispanic" to identify Latin American individuals, and their descendants, living in the U.S. regardless of race.”
“The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race".

Supergirl
07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
I had no idea Carmelo Anthony was half-Puerto Rican. Which he is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmelo_Anthony#Personal_life

Manu Ginobili, however, is not Hispanic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manu_Ginobili#Family_and_personal_life
He was descended from Italian immigrants. The fact that he was nominated for this award shows how little the award means, IMO.

lebomb
07-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Who is the best Eskimo athlete???

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Who is the best Eskimo athlete???

Scot Pollard. No, Trajan Langdon.

sribb43
07-28-2008, 11:36 AM
The DUI is what must have put him over the top

ElNono
07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Manu Ginobili, however, is not Hispanic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manu_Ginobili#Family_and_personal_life
He was descended from Italian immigrants. The fact that he was nominated for this award shows how little the award means, IMO.

He is. His dad and mom were born in Argentina and he was born in Argentina. That the family tree can be traced back to Italy doesn't make him any less Hispanic.
I'm actually in the exact same situation as Manu. My grandfather was Italian, and I have dual citizenship. Doesn't make me any less of an Hispano.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
A hundred bucks says Carmelo puts this on eBay by the end of the week.

JoeChalupa
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
:lmao

hater
07-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Arenas got robbed

kuato
07-28-2008, 02:15 PM
So a black guy beat out a white guy for hispanic player of the year? --------> Man, there are hispanic people from all the colors. :donkey , really sad.

Guajalote
07-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Shaq got cheated on this award. Perhaps if he had insisted on the correct Spanish pronunciation of his name, he would have been an award recipient.

Just remember for future reference: "Shaquille O'Neal" is correctly pronounced
"sha-KEY-yay oh nay ALL"

kuato
07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
He is. His dad and mom were born in Argentina and he was born in Argentina. That the family tree can be traced back to Italy doesn't make him any less Hispanic.
I'm actually in the exact same situation as Manu. My grandfather was Italian, and I have dual citizenship. Doesn't make me any less of an Hispano. ----> That happens a lot with argentinian people because there was 2 great eropean inmigrations to South America and speccially to Argentina, the american dream was not only in North America, there was some kind of american dream in Argentina too. :blah

GOUTSA
07-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I had no idea Carmelo Anthony was half-Puerto Rican. Which he is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmelo_Anthony#Personal_life

He's from a spanish speaking country, doesn't that mean he's hispanic?

Supergirl
07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
He's from a spanish speaking country, doesn't that mean he's hispanic?

No, actually, Hispanic means people of Spanish descent: "Etymologically, the term "Hispanic" is derived from Hispania,[1] the name given by the ancient Romans to the Iberian Peninsula (present-day Spain, Portugal, Andorra and Gibraltar)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

Now, the article on Wikipedia goes on:
"During the 1970s, the United States Government defined the term "Hispanic" to identify Latin American individuals, and their descendants, living in the U.S. regardless of race.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race".

The terms Hispanic and Latino tend to be used interchangeably in the United States due largely to a syntax inconsistency between the English language and the Spanish language.[citation needed] Some define the term "Latino" as a shortened version of the noun '"Latin American." Others define the word "Latin" as the name of the language used by the ancient Romans, while "Latino" is the name given to the people who spoke the language."

lotr1trekkie
07-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Melo can't speak english very well. Now it all makes sense. When did he cross the Rio Grande?

hater
07-28-2008, 08:04 PM
No, actually, Hispanic means people of Spanish descent: "Etymologically, the term "Hispanic" is derived from Hispania,[1] the name given by the ancient Romans to the Iberian Peninsula (present-day Spain, Portugal, Andorra and Gibraltar)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

Now, the article on Wikipedia goes on:
"During the 1970s, the United States Government defined the term "Hispanic" to identify Latin American individuals, and their descendants, living in the U.S. regardless of race.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race".

The terms Hispanic and Latino tend to be used interchangeably in the United States due largely to a syntax inconsistency between the English language and the Spanish language.[citation needed] Some define the term "Latino" as a shortened version of the noun '"Latin American." Others define the word "Latin" as the name of the language used by the ancient Romans, while "Latino" is the name given to the people who spoke the language."

hispanic also means your mother tongue is spanish. So Manu is hispanic. never trust wikipedia 100%.

ShoogarBear
07-28-2008, 08:53 PM

You shouldn't have bought out Bob's Smokehouse.

ShoogarBear
07-28-2008, 08:54 PM
This is good. Haven't had a good "Manu is Hispanic?" thread in a while.

E20
07-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Kobe Byrant is 1/8th mexican he should have gotten the award.

Trainwreck2100
07-28-2008, 10:58 PM
You shouldn't have bought out Bob's Smokehouse.

I didn't but it out