PDA

View Full Version : Roy and Bayless: A match made in heaven?

tlongII
07-28-2008, 08:53 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/07/part_iii_roy_and_bayless_a_mat.html

After watching three of the Trail Blazers five Summer League games on television, one thing is clear: Brandon Roy is a fan of rookie Jerryd Bayless.

"I like him,'' Roy said. "I like the way he plays, his aggressiveness. More than anything, I like his attitude. Winning is an attitude ... and I think Jerryd brings that. I can tell by the way he plays that he wants to be the best.''

Roy said he envisions playing alongside Bayless this season because he complements Roy's game. Roy is best when a teammate can guard the point guard and bring the ball up the court, then slide to off guard while Roy directs the offense.

Last season, Roy said he felt Steve Blake and the now-departed Jarrett Jack became frustrated at having to play shooting guard on offense.

"The reason why I see me playing with Jerryd is because he can guard points,'' Roy said. "He may not be a one, but he can guard a one, so then it fits into exactly what we want to do. A lot of times with Jarrett and Blake, they would get frustrated because they were playing a two on offense. Whereas (Jerryd) is comfortable playing two on offense and he's comfortable playing one on defense. That's why I tell people who say he is not a point: 'If he was a point, it would take away from what I do, so it's almost fine that he's not a point.''

Perhaps the greatest compliment Roy gave was saying he sees himself in Bayless, particularly regarding confidence.

"We share a lot of similarities,'' Roy said. "He's a little bit smaller, but he's tough. And he guards ... and I think the biggest thing I like about him is he is confident. In this league you gotta be.

"His confidence is more loud and mine is more quiet. He kind of wears it on his shoulder where you can see it, and mine is like (you realize) 'oh wow' ... after I played,'' Roy said. "But I like his game. If he wants to be aggressive, and he makes plays, then I don't mind being the point. And if I'm in an aggressive play-making mode, then I'm sure he doesn't mind being the point.''

Roy was not saying, however, that he prefers Bayless over Steve Blake. Roy said he thinks Blake should be the starter, and that he values the veteran's input.

"Blake, he understands playing with good players - he played with Carmelo and Iverson in Denver, and as the year went on he was able to help me,'' Roy said. "There were moments when he'd be on me, saying 'This is your turn, your time! You can't be looking at everybody, you can't be passive.' I thought that helped because it made me feel like the team wants me to do this, and I didn't want to let them down. So I had to become more aggressive.''

Roy said a big advantage entering this season will be the chemistry that he and Blake have developed, particularly in knowing who should play point at certain times.

"He knows ... he would kick it to me and say 'You bring it' ... and there would be times he would take it, not look at me, and I would know there is something he wants to do,'' Roy said. "So I think just playing with Blake for a whole season has helped our chemistry. With Rudy (Fernandez) and Bayless, we have to build chemistry. But with me and Blake, we already have it.''

hater
07-28-2008, 10:41 AM
are gay marriages legal in Oregon?

MavDynasty
07-28-2008, 10:42 AM
karmas gonna bite u in the ass,tlong.

Mister Sinister
07-28-2008, 11:24 AM
karmas gonna bite u in the ass,tlong.
More like tschlong, amirite?

MavDynasty
07-28-2008, 11:24 AM
More like tschlong, amirite?

:tu

Guajalote
07-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Nice to see teammates saying positive things about each other for a change. :wow

GaryJohnston
07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Blazers have done a great job building, IMO, and thats because I believe Oden will be Sam Bowie Jr.

angelbelow
07-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Blazers have done a great job building, IMO, and thats because I believe Oden will be Sam Bowie Jr.

thats a pretty fucked up thing to say, but i laughed anyway.

kupogrey
07-29-2008, 12:38 AM
are you on some kind of jerryd bayless fan list that gets every sports story written about him??? :sleep