PDA

View Full Version : What Is 'Bleacher Report'? (Ranking The NBA's 15 Most Valuable Players)

duncan228
07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm not that familiar with this site, it looks like a bunch of blogs written by anyone who joins. Should I know who Michael Whittenberg is?

Talk about frustrating. The debate about who should be on this list is one thing, the fact that he doesn't get his facts straight is what really gets me. :bang

Duncan is not the last player to win back-to-back MVP's, Nash is. And the Spurs have not been in the WCF the last 4 seasons. :bang

I didn't proof the rest, I'm assuming there's more mistakes. Thought it might be fun to tear apart. :)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/41547-the-indispensables-ranking-the-nbas-15-most-valuable-players

The Indispensables: Ranking the NBA's 15 Most Valuable Players
Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, and Dwight Howard are three of the NBA's best players—but who's the most indispensable? Find out as Michael Whittenberg ranks the 15 most indispensable stars in the game today.
by Michael Whittenberg (Senior Writer)

Making a list of the NBA's best players is way too easy. Not only that, but it is sometimes done too often.

What about the NBA's most essential players? Or as the title states—the Indispensables.

On Tuesday, Jeffri Chadiha, one of favorite writers, wrote a column on the NFL's most indispensable players. So I figured why not do the same thing—only for the best association in all of sports?

Before you even glance at the list, I think we can all agree who No. 1 is. But just in case you don't, I won't spoil it for you right now.

Not every player listed below reached the playoffs last season, but their presence on the court was imperative in order for their team to succeed. Instead of ranking the 10 most indispensable players like Mr. Chadiha, I will rank the top 15.

It will be interesting to look over this list a year from now to see who falls down—or falls off completely. The NBA season is a little over two months away, but it's never too early to start looking ahead.

So without any further delay, here are the NBA's most indispensable players heading into next season:

1. Kobe Bryant, SG, Los Angeles Lakers

The last time we saw Kobe Bryant, he was walking off the court after an embarrassing 42-point loss in Game Six of the NBA Finals. But despite the fact he failed to lead his team to a championship this season, Kobe Bryant is still the league's most indispensable player.

Really, this one is almost a no-brainer. Without Bryant, there is no way the Lakers clinch the best record in the Western Conference, reach the Finals, or maybe even make the playoffs altogether. While Bryant does have a good supporting cast, they sometimes looked lost when Kobe wasn't on the floor.

Not only is he the game's best player, but winning his first MVP award may have shown the world just how indispensable he really is. A guy like Kobe will have no problems making a list like this every season.

2. LeBron James, SF, Cleveland Cavaliers

Just like Bryant, there is no way the Cavaliers would have reached the Finals in 2007 had it not been for LeBron. No player in the Eastern Conference is more indispensable than James. Just ask anyone and they will tell you the same.

Whether LeBron is more indispensable than Bryant will vary, depending on who you ask. But it is almost a guarantee that LeBron will be No. 1 on this list someday. Maybe next season.

3. Tim Duncan, PF, San Antonio Spurs

As long as he is healthy, the San Antonio Spurs are built to win an NBA championship every season. With Duncan, the Spurs have won four NBA titles and have reached the Western Conference Finals the last four seasons.

Duncan's presence is necessary on both ends of the floor in order for the Spurs to succeed. While he may already have two other All-Stars on his team, if Duncan isn't there, San Antonio is looking at big problems.

Duncan is the game's best power forward, the last player to win back-to-back MVPs, and the last player to win both MVP and Finals MVP in the same season.

4. Chris Paul, PG, New Orleans Hornets

There is no way Paul would have made this list last year. But after a huge breakout year last season, he found himself within the top five. In fact, it was almost a hard choice deciding if he was more indispensable than Steve Nash.

But after using my brain, Paul was the clear-cut winner. CP3 is the only guy since 1992 to lead the league in both assists and steals (John Stockton being the last). Paul also played along side another All-Star, but New Orleans might not have reached the postseason if Paul wasn't there to lead the way.

And after last season, it's now easy to proclaim Paul as the best and most indispensable point guard in the league.

5. Steve Nash, PG, Phoenix Suns

If it wasn't Paul's huge season, Nash would still be the league's most indispensable point guard. Before CP3's huge year, Nash had led the league in assists for three seasons in a row.

But after losing Shawn Marion for Shaq, his assist total has declined. It will be interesting to see if he even averages double-digit assists next season.

Nonetheless, Nash is the catalyst within the Suns' offense. But it remains to be seen how valuable he will be next season, now that Mike D'Antoni is no longer coaching the team.

6. Dirk Nowitzki, PF, Dallas Mavericks

He may not show up in big games—and yes, his team has suffered back-to-back first-round exits—but Nowitzki is the reason why Dallas is pretty much guaranteed to win at least 50 games every season.

The 2007 MVP has been criticized over the years for never coming up big when it matters, but where would Dallas be without him? They most certainly would not have reached the Finals in 2006, and could have missed the playoffs last season in a loaded Western Conference.

Dallas may not be considered a threat to reach the Finals anymore, but they are always contenders out West if Dirk is leading the way.

7. Dwight Howard, C, Orlando Magic

I can guarantee you right now that Howard will be in the top five next season. Last season's leading rebounder has already developed into a stud, and he is only going to get better as the years pass.

His scoring and rebounding have increased every season, so things should only get better next year. If he keeps this up, he will go down as one of the NBA's greatest on the glass.

8. Deron Williams, PG, Utah Jazz

Williams is another one of those players who will probably sit higher on the list next year. With D-Will running the show, Utah has returned to glory the last two seasons.

Don't call him the next John Stockton—because Williams is clearly making a name for himself. If he isn't a All-Star next season, it will definitely be a snub.

An era of two great point guards is just beginning, with him and Paul. The only question is which one will be the first to win the big one?

9. Kevin Garnett, PF, Boston Celtics

KG might have still been on this list one year ago, but definitely not in the top 10. But after getting traded to Boston, Garnett help lead the Celtics to their 17th title in franchise history

Also, with KG in Boston last season, the Celtics had the best season turnaround in NBA history. Not only that, but KG won Defensive Player of the Year, and was unbelievable to watch during the playoffs.

It was good to see Garnett finally win the big one last season—especially after watching him suffer in Minnesota the last couple of years.

10. Chauncey Billups, PG, Detroit Pistons

More personnel changes maybe coming for the Pistons, but no matter what, Billups will still be the most indispensable point guard in the Eastern Conference. With him as the floor general, the Pistons have reached the Conference Finals the last five years.

Unfortunately for them, they have only come out with one NBA title and two appearances to the Finals. But with that said, the presence of play and presence of "Mr. Big Shot" is what makes the Pistons contenders in the East every year.

11. Allen Iverson, SG, Denver Nuggets

When it comes to indispensable players, you would think A.I. would sit somewhere in the top ten every season. He's still a deadly scorer, but something just wasn't there last season to merit putting him in the top ten.

The Nuggets lost games in which he and Carmelo Anthony both put up big numbers. Plus, Denver was all about defense, but that had nothing to do with him.

12. Amare Stoudemire, F/C, Phoenix Suns

Amare is mostly criticised because of his lack of effort on the defensive end, but he is still the Suns' franchise player—even though Nash is more indispensable.

Stoudemire is only focused on winning a championship, which is probably one of the main reasons he won't be playing for Team USA this summer.

Years from now we will be calling Amare the best big man in Western Conference, and maybe the NBA.

13. Antawn Jamison, PF, Washington Wizards

With his two sidekicks Caron Butler and Gilbert missing a significant amount of games, Jamison was still able to hold down the fort. The Wizards may have missed the playoffs had Jamison not led that team during the periods Butler and Arenas were out.

Jamison has been a 20-10 type player his entire career, but hasn't received the respect he deserves, because he played for bad teams. Butler and Arenas might be better scorers—but without a doubt Jamison is the more indispensable.

14. Baron Davis, PG, Los Angeles Clippers

It's kind of weird because Davis is the only guy on this list that will be playing for a different team next season, and the only one who didn't reach the playoffs last season.

But he's still indispensable. Last season Davis played all 82 games for the first time in his career, and Golden State barely missed the playoffs, despite winning 49 games.

And now that Davis will be is a Clipper, they will be a much better team. Question is, will he even be on this list next year?

15. Andre Miller, PG, Philadelphia 76ers

Andre Miller? That's right, no typos here. Miller is probably the most underrated point guard in the NBA, and his presence is why Philly is now a playoff team once again.

Yes he's not his team's best player, and yes, he's not the team's leading scorer—but Miller had a quiet but productive season last year. Take away Miller at the point, and I'd have a hard time picturing Philly in the playoffs.

Even in the Eastern Conference.

Missed It By A Hair

Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics)

Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City ???)

Tracy McGrady (Houston Rockets)

Brandon Roy (Portland Trail Blazers)

Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat)

resistanze
07-28-2008, 01:10 PM
11. Allen Iverson, SG, Denver Nuggets

When it comes to indispensable players, you would think A.I. would sit somewhere in the top ten every season. He's still a deadly scorer, but something just wasn't there last season to merit putting him in the top ten.

The Nuggets lost games in which he and Carmelo Anthony both put up big numbers. Plus, Denver was all about defense, but that had nothing to do with him.

?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
rofl The shittiest list ever.

xtremesteven33
07-28-2008, 01:12 PM
haha...this guy is an idiot.

duncan228
07-28-2008, 01:16 PM
So I shouldn't know his name? Am I right in thinking it's just a bunch of blogs by anyone who joins the site? It's less frustrating if he's just some idiot. There are enough paid professional sports writers who don't check facts, ( McDonald :lol), I don't need to bother with a nobody.

lebomb
07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Pierce should be in the top 5 for sure........Steve Nash and C. Paul ahead of him???.......... dudes list sucks ass.

MavDynasty
07-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Wow, i guess tacker wrote this shitlist

xtremesteven33
07-28-2008, 01:22 PM
this is why internet sports blogging gets a bad name

hater
07-28-2008, 01:38 PM
andre miller LMAO

MavDynasty
07-28-2008, 01:45 PM
KG might have still been on this list one year ago, but definitely not in the top 10. But after getting traded to Boston, Garnett help lead the Celtics to their 17th title in franchise history

Also, with KG in Boston last season, the Celtics had the best season turnaround in NBA history. Not only that, but KG won Defensive Player of the Year, and was unbelievable to watch during the playoffs.

It was good to see Garnett finally win the big one last season—especially after watching him suffer in Minnesota the last couple of years.

This guy criticizes Dirk for not showing up but then he doesnt say anything about KG wtf? And how is watching a player choking fun?

Guajalote
07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
9. Kevin Garnett, PF, Boston Celtics

This guy criticizes Dirk for not showing up but then he doesnt say anything about KG wtf? And how is watching a player choking fun?

I guess watching KG unclinch his butt cheeks when the Finals ended (KG knowing he wasn't going to join the Karl Malone/Barkley crowd as ringless HOF'ers) must have been good enough for this guy to include him this high on the list. You're definitely right about KG disappearing. I'm surprised his shoelaces (and Ray Allen's for that matter) didn't cut up the side of Pierce's face as he was carrying them on his shoulders through the Finals.

I. Hustle
07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
:lol Andre Miller and AI :lol

That's just not a credible source son

mystargtr34
07-28-2008, 08:13 PM
This could be the worst list ive ever seen.

Son.

robbie380
07-28-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm not that familiar with this site, it looks like a bunch of blogs written by anyone who joins. Should I know who Michael Whittenberg is?

Michael Whittenberg (Senior Writer)

Joined 8 months ago

* 110 articles written
* 569 comments posted
* 3 articles of the day

More Statistics »
Michael's Fans (91)

Michael's Bio

Michael O. Whittenberg, 22, hails from the great state of South Carolina and currently resides in Charlotte North Carolina. Michael attends college in NC as well, where he recently changed his major from Computer Information Systems to English/Journalism because his love for writing especially about sports. Once he graduates he plans to attend Grad school in DC or Dallas and continue to study Journalism.

Despite being a native of the Carolinas, he hates the North Carolina Tarheels with a passion. However, he is a huge Duke fan and is starting to show a little love towards the Charlotte Bobcats.

Michael’s favorite athletes of all-time would have to be Jerry Rice, Isiah Thomas, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Clyde Drexler.

Some of his favorite current athletes are Carmelo Anthony, Ray Allen, Diana Taurasi, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Ichiro, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow Jr., Carson Palmer, Candace Parker, Steve Nash, Joe Johnson, A-Rod, Gilbert Arenas, and Steve Smith.

Whittenberg loves and follows all sports—but shows more adulation towards NBA Basketball and he considers himself a historian of the game.

He shows much respect and admiration for sports writers Stephen A.Smith, J.A. Adande, Jemelle Hill, Scoop Jackson, Chris Broussard, Jeffri Chadiha, John Clayton, Chris Sheridan, Marc Stein, Woody Paige, Jay Mariotti Bill Plaschke and newly added, James Walker.

Mike started writing at the age of 10… he used to write short story mysteries for fun and his brother illustrated the “books”. As a child, he admired the writing style of R.L. Stine because he was a huge fan of Goosebumps. He is still a mystery/horror fan and loves to read Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, and Dean Koontz. He also enjoys biographies, autobiographies and inspirational books…particularly Joel Osteen, Hill Harper and TD Jakes.

Away from sports writing and reading, his other hobbies include gun range shooting, playing basketball, and clothes shopping. Mike considers himself a great dresser and is addicted to Lacoste polos.

Michael can be contacted through email: [email protected]

nil.ball
07-28-2008, 09:53 PM
hahaha
"He shows much respect and admiration for sports writers Stephen A.Smith"
hahahaha

duncan228
07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Michael Whittenberg (Senior Writer)

Some of his favorite current athletes are Carmelo Anthony, Ray Allen, Diana Taurasi, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Ichiro, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow Jr., Carson Palmer, Candace Parker, Steve Nash, Joe Johnson, A-Rod, Gilbert Arenas, and Steve Smith.

Whittenberg loves and follows all sports—but shows more adulation towards NBA Basketball and he considers himself a historian of the game.

He shows much respect and admiration for sports writers Stephen A.Smith, J.A. Adande, Jemelle Hill, Scoop Jackson,

Away from sports writing and reading, his other hobbies include gun range shooting, playing basketball, and clothes shopping. Mike considers himself a great dresser and is addicted to Lacoste polos.

Well, I guess that answers the question about whether I should know who this guy is. His mistakes now make sense. Remind me to stay away from that site. :lol

E20
07-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Lacoste polo's are expensive as fuck. 72 dollars for the basic polo. No thanks. until I win the lotto or become rich I ain't buying clothes for a while.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-28-2008, 11:17 PM
"The Spurs have reached the Western Conference Finals the last four seasons"

Uhh....no they didn't. See: 2006

z0sa
07-29-2008, 12:50 AM
One of the worst articles I have ever seen.

mrspurs
07-29-2008, 07:17 AM
i scrolled down the list quick, and it looked pretty good till the last one...andre miller. this guy, whoever wrote this, should be working for the spurs we could use someone who can find talent

ca®lo
07-29-2008, 07:20 AM
suddenly.. McDonald became Ludden because of this idiot

sribb43
07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Jamison :lmao