PDA

View Full Version : Balkman to the Nuggets

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
:downspin: nice trade :downspin:

In efforts to improve their defense, the Nuggets have traded for Knicks forward Renaldo Balkman, a source confirmed.

The Nuggets traded seldom-used guards Taurean Green and Bobby Jones, as well as a future second rounder, in exchange for the 6-foot-8 Balkman and $575,000.

Balkman, who turned 24 this month, averaged 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds last season, but is noted for his hustle and aggressive defensive play. Denver hopes Balkman can crack its rotation in the near future.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10022789

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-28-2008, 02:04 PM
essentially its for a 2nd rd pick coz the other 2 players will probably be waived by the knicks

bdictjames
07-28-2008, 02:26 PM
For a second there I confused Bobby Jones with Bobby Jackson.

Knicks screwing the Nuggets on this one.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-28-2008, 02:35 PM
you are joking right? Bobby Jones and Green never got minutes and now the Nuggets have traded for a young hussle guy who can play D.

They essentially traded a 2nd rd pick for Balkman and $575,000

I. Hustle
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I thought it said Rolando Blackman. He's too old

thispego
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
im down with balkman

Spur-Addict
07-28-2008, 02:52 PM
nice trade for Den in my opinion

xtremesteven33
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
not going to do anything for the nuggets...sorry

Spur-Addict
07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
It really won't, but he's still a good addition.

xtremesteven33
07-28-2008, 03:08 PM
they will not make the playoffs.

Spurs
Lakers
Rockets
Mavericks
Blazers
Suns
Jazz
Hornets

No Nuggets

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
:lol at everyone thinking the Blazers are a shoe in. They didn't make it last season with a 15 game streak (or something like that) and Oden is still one bad fall from becoming the next Sam Bowie.

Their team is great but they are no shoe in.

Bruno
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
^ Agree. Blazers could be worse than last year. They have lost a couple of solid role players with Jones and Jack and have only added rookies.

Spurs, Suns, Rockets, Jazz, Mavs, Hornets and Lakers are almost lock to be in the playoff.
The 8th spot is up to grab and I give the edge to Nuggets if Nene is back at his 07' playoff level.

Balkman is a decent addition for Nuggets. he lacks of size and talent but brings some energy. He could play a Najera (the 07' version) role for them.

xtremesteven33
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
:lol at everyone thinking the Blazers are a shoe in. They didn't make it last season with a 15 game streak (or something like that) and Oden is still one bad fall from becoming the next Sam Bowie.

Their team is great but they are no shoe in.

yea im no bandwagoner but i call it like i see it. the Nuggets are LOADED with talent but i simply believe that as long as Karl is head coach they wont ever get far. especially with the west as loaded as it is.

plus they let go of Camby which IMO is a big blow for thier defensive aspirations next season. i think Portland will take the 8th spot and get knocked out in the 1st round.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
yeh i think whoever sneaks in next season will also be 1st rd fodder. With the Blazers i either see them missing out all together or having an awesome season and getting a top 5 seed.

I have no idea with the Nuggets next season. I think im going to enjoy it more coz im not expecting much from them whilst Karl is still around

xtremesteven33
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
If Phil Jackson or Pat Riley were the Nuggets head coach theyd be a WAAAY better team.

more disciplined too when it comes to Riley

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-28-2008, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EGl-MiD0J0&feature=related

:smokin

I. Hustle
07-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Phil Jackson?!! If he were to leave the Lakers it woupld probably only be if the Spurs or Cavs wanted him. He needs a team that is already established and a championship contender or one with a mega star.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-29-2008, 06:30 AM
ESPN scouting report on Balkman

Isiah Thomas has become a magnet for criticism, most of it deserved. But those who immediately ripped his selection of Balkman in last year's draft are still wiping the egg of their faces. Balkman was one of the league's most electrifying rookies, posting the rebound rate of a center while putting up some of the best individual defensive numbers in history.

Yes, you read that last sentence correctly. Balkman's rates of blocks and steals were completely ridiculous. He ranked fourth among small forwards in blocks per minute and fifth in steals, but it's the combo of the two that's the real rarity.

Balkman managed to be 75 percent better than the league average in both blocks and steals; in the past 20 years only three other players have played over 1,000 minutes in a season and done that. One was Gerald Wallace in 2005-06; the other two were a couple chaps named Hakeem Olajuwon and Ben Wallace.

Further, each of those players only did it once; one wonders if it will be a yearly occurrence for Balkman. To do it, he needs to cut down on the hacking, as Balkman led all small forwards in fouls per minute.

Balkman was phenomenal on the glass too, as his rebound rate ranked first among small forwards. Offensively, Balkman was strictly a dunker -- he only made four shots outside the immediate basket area the entire season -- but he made enough of them to average 12.5 points per 40 minutes. He made far too many turnovers though, and needs to refine his offensive game.

Scouting report: Balkman is one of the league's best athletes, something that becomes incredibly apparent in transition when he can throw down vicious slams or follow the play with rebound dunks. In the half court, however, he's not nearly as useful. Balkman can't shoot at all and is a poor ball handler, too. He sometimes tries to start transition opportunities on his own but is a danger to himself and others when dribbling in the open court.

Defensively, Balkman has the tools to become an annual All-Defense pick. One wonders if this will ever happen in New York, where defense is a low priority and flashy plays are valued more heavily than smart ones, but few players are more disruptive at that end. He just has to improve on the ball, gamble less, and stop reaching.

:lol what's funny is that its pretty much the same situation in Denver :drunk