PDA

View Full Version : Krstic Gone - Signs for Triumph Moscow

ceperez
07-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Via ESPN

New Jersey Nets free agent Nenad Krstic signed a two year deal worth $3 million euros per year with Triumph Moscow early Tuesday morning, Krstic's agent, Marc Cornstein, said.

Krstic

The salary is the equivalent of around $9 million per year in the United States once you factor in the exchange rate and the fact that European clubs pay all the players' taxes.

Cornstein worked until midnight Eastern time trying to find an NBA team willing to pay Krstic at least a mid-level contract to keep him in the NBA. But as the midnight deadline passed, Krstic became the sixth NBA player to recently bolt the league for Europe.

"At the end of the day, Triumph offered him the most love," Cornstein told ESPN.com. "This was too good of a deal to pass up for him."

Krstic joins Josh Childress, Bostjan Nachbar, Juan Carlos Navarro, Jorge Garbajosa, Carlos Delfino and Primoz Brezec as NBA players who opted to play for more money overseas this year. Three of the six are Cornstein clients.

Krstic was having a near All-Star season in 2007 when he injured his ACL. His comeback last season was slow and at the end of the day teams opted against offering him the contract Cornstein was seeking, a two year deal (with a player option for the third year) starting at around $5 million per season.

The interest from a relatively unknown team in Russia, Triumph, will certainly raise even more eyebrows. It's one thing when Euroleague powerhouses like Olympiacos sign Childress. But when non-Euroleague teams like Triumph start being able to outbid NBA teams ... has the pendulum swung entirely the other way?

"I think you almost have NBA teams being overly cautious at this point," one Eastern Conference GM told Insider. "With so many teams so close to the luxury tax, teams are unwilling to take risks. Krstic was a risk. A small one, but a risk. We are certainly seeing the effects of the collective bargaining agreement this year. But these things are cyclical. If lots of team had cap room, Childress, Krstic and others would be playing in the NBA."

Well he was a risk, but a 7 foot center for the MLE would have been a bargain.

10-tka
07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
funny to me
when will nba take this European basket seriously
In few years all the stars will be gone. Who will be next Kobe, Tim, Allen...

MajorMike
07-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I can see where becoming a millionaire in Russia and then having to fear for you and your families lives from the organized crime who just likes to kill people because they have money would be a better choice.

1Parker1
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
:lol Anyone have that recent David Stern quote on how all this is actually a good thing for the NBA and it's effort for globalization?

BacktoBasics
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I can see where becoming a millionaire in Russia and then having to fear for you and your families lives from the organized crime who just likes to kill people because they have money would be a better choice.
Because there's none of that here in the states. I'm pretty sure well off rich black guys have never been targeted by even the lower level theives.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-29-2008, 09:20 AM

:lol You're just a fucking walking bag of stereotypes, aren't you? The United States isn't "the last safe place on earth" you ignorant douche. Why don't you open your fucking mind a little and consider the possibility of decent living outside the good ole US of A. :rolleyes

MajorMike
07-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Ever been there? No? Thanks for playing.

Now if you wanna talk about what a hole Argentina is...

nil.ball
07-29-2008, 09:36 AM
LOL, so does that means NBA will have trouble finding new scrubs, and our quality of play in garbage time will significantly decline?

Solid D
07-29-2008, 09:38 AM
After this month, Marc will be known by the nickname "Mother Lode Cornstein".

Walton Buys Off Me
07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
I love how they equate "love" to money.

BacktoBasics
07-29-2008, 09:47 AM

I have and my Mother lived there for two years. I don't see any additional liability other than cold weather.

I liken you to the Euros who are scared of Texas because we have guns and ride those big horses to school and work.

remingtonbo2001
07-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I liken you to the Euros who are scared of Texas because we have guns and ride those big horses to school and work.

We Texans are perty scary, huh.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
The new GM was quoted as saying, "It's great to add such a quality player to the roster. Mr. Krstic is a really good...

http://mynameisearlkress.com/weblog/triumph01.jpg
FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Mr. Body
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Dude, the Mob doesn't just go around messing with high-profile international athletes. That's stupid.

wisnub
07-29-2008, 11:13 AM
I knew overseas team will draw more and more NBA players away....Its sad fact but with no cap restriction, overseas team can throw as much money as they want and they will....I clearly remember in Soccer (football) how Real Madrid bought all superstars and no 1 pick like there's no tomorrow..Olympiakos might do that in the future,God forbid. Im getting sick and tired TAU keep messing up with SA draft prospects. It is a challenge Stern how to figure out, after all one high school top draft prospect already gone overseas. This young kid never played in NBA at all, and if he likes being superstar overseas with less games, that will be a bad sign. It is possible many will follow....becasue more NBA players overseas will make overseas game more interesting, with less games than NBA got they can stay fresh and be superstar at the same time, and make money :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

Bruno
07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Another team in Moscow and his suburbs.
Triumph has signed Krstic, Khimky has signed Delfino, Dynamo has signed Nachbar and CSKA is the best team in Europe.
It start to looks quite problemtic for the NBA. There will have some rivalry in the Russian league and given that some owners have very deep pockets, I don't see how they won't spend more and more money.

I don't think it's a good thing for the NBA and the basketball.
It's obvious why it could hurt the NBA and while globalization is a positive, I don't find healthy the way basketball grows in Europe. It should grow around fan bases and not rich owners.

WildcardManu
07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
I didn't really care who went overseas till Krstic did. This blows.

hater
07-29-2008, 11:39 AM

u been watching too many movies. There are millions of rich ppl in russia. Kristic has more chance to get run over by the team bus.

hater
07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
LOL, so does that means NBA will have trouble finding new scrubs, and our quality of play in garbage time will significantly decline?

this is a good point. I also beleive quality of NBA will decrease overall. Yeah, they will still have their lebrons, Kobes, but the scrubs and even some role players will be 10x more scrubby than now.

wisnub
07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I also want to mention the role of his agents....Kristic agents is the one who responsible signing couple of NBA players overseas. Sport agents will look into this opportunity more and more each days....they can influence NBA players to take that step visiting Greece,Moskow,or wherever and next thing u know NBA star got hook up and sign. It is part of sport agent job description anyway....All sport agents want is his players to sign large contracts due to nature of his income is thru commisions from the deal. Whether it is NBA team or not it doesnt really matter, its all about benjamin..or should i said Euros ( I heard it got more value than US$)

ChumpDumper
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Seriously, are you guys leaving sentences and phrases out?

Are these telegrams?

Headlines lifted from the Drudge Report?

velik_m
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Slokar plays for Triumph, right?

oligarchy
07-29-2008, 11:56 AM
:depressed
Statements like this bother me...since our boys are putting their lives on the line for people like you that do not appreciate that thanks to them...The Unites States of America is the best country in the world...No Question!!!!
Please accept that we may not be perfect but we are the best...ask the millions of inmigrants that live and work with you, daily! And the billions that would love to have the opportunities that you and I have. God bless you and our country!

Who said he doesn't appreciate what they do? ..and to your point, they aren't exactly protecting our rights or freedoms at this juncture. They are fighting for no relevant point. Also, there is no question America is the best country? You've lived or been everywhere else in the world, and you know that for a fact? Statements like this bother me. It's your opinion -- just like what he stated was his opinion.

wisnub
07-29-2008, 11:59 AM
this is a good point. I also beleive quality of NBA will decrease overall. Yeah, they will still have their lebrons, Kobes, but the scrubs and even some role players will be 10x more scrubby than now.

You are right right, now most player who's gone overseas are scrubs. Im just afraid that quality role player also gone. Josh Childress is not a scrub and so does Barndon Jennings who is a high school superstar. According to ESPN.com he is rank no 1 and can go deep in draft. USC and Arizona also beg him to go school there,but he went overseas instead. By the way our loser Splitter also staying with Tau and with that kind of money I dunno if Spurs will ever can and want him back. More and more young and quality NBA players/draft is thinking possible alternatives other than NBA. Oh big mouth Marbury also want to go to Italy, I dunno if he is a scrub or not,probably player in decline. He's hoping to get Beckham like deal but I dunno Italy team want him that bad. Most likely he's stuck in Knicks until his huge contract expired
I hear Sasha also use overseas card to push Lakers on the deal, I think many FA will follow.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
For the sake of the NBA, not the game of basketball, but rather the NBA, the US needs to win Gold in Beijing. The shrinking US dollar is definately a factor in players like Krstic, Childress and co. bolting for Europe but the overall luster, appeal and aura of the NBA has taken a tumble in the past few years; winning Gold convincingly I think takes a step towards restoring that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-29-2008, 12:18 PM
funny to me
when will nba take this European basket seriously
In few years all the stars will be gone. Who will be next Kobe, Tim, Allen...

Maybe the day someone other than an MLE player goes over...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I didn't really care who went overseas till Krstic did. This blows.

We weren't getting him for 2 million a year anyway, I'm not sure what you were upset about.

urunobili
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Until all star talent starts going to europe the NBA won't give a damn

mrspurs
07-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Who said he doesn't appreciate what they do? ..and to your point, they aren't exactly protecting our rights or freedoms at this juncture. They are fighting for no relevant point. Also, there is no question America is the best country? You've lived or been everywhere else in the world, and you know that for a fact? Statements like this bother me. It's your opinion -- just like what he stated was his opinion.

you like opinions....that much is clear

mrspurs
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
For the sake of the NBA, not the game of basketball, but rather the NBA, the US needs to win Gold in Beijing. The shrinking US dollar is definately a factor in players like Krstic, Childress and co. bolting for Europe but the overall luster, appeal and aura of the NBA has taken a tumble in the past few years; winning Gold convincingly I think takes a step towards restoring that.

+1

ChumpDumper
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
You like your period key.

oligarchy
07-29-2008, 12:26 PM
:wow

If ignorance is a crime, you are a criminal on death row...probably you never served your country like I did! And yes, I served in different parts of the world, where beauty is infinite but liberty is non-existant...to make sure that you...have the liberty of stating your ignorance! God bless Ya' !

Ignorance? I'm ignorant because I'm not saying the US is the best country in the world because we go after "WMD", and found what exactly? We aren't protecting shit over there -- your rights or moral freedoms you so choose to expound upon -- except our foreign interests in oil. Who are we protecting? Get the fuck out. I have served, and I have been to the desert, and know it's a fucking joke. I'm not cluttering up this thread anymore. You want to argue, send me the link to the thread.

VaSpursFan
07-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Until all star talent starts going to europe the NBA won't give a damn

+1. the nba is not worried because all Euros and 2 americans are headed to europe. now if childress and jennings like it well enough to stay and we see a few more higher profile nba ballers choose europe, then stern will shit his pants. until then he's too arrogant to realize the potential problem of players getting comparable salaries in europe with a ton of perks, for half the work.

lefty
07-29-2008, 12:32 PM

I have lived pretty much everywhere....

You are an ignorant retarded douche

MajorMike
07-29-2008, 12:37 PM
I have lived pretty much everywhere....

You are an ignorant retarded douche

Great! I'm sure in 'everywhere' they teach you that it is perfectly acceptable to take someone's retort to someone else before you even arrived on the scene and apply it to your opinion which didn't even exist until several hours later.

Sounds like a great place! Tvoju mat to you, too!

lefty
07-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Great! I'm sure in 'everywhere' they teach you that it is perfectly acceptable to take someone's retort to someone else before you even arrived on the scene and apply it to your opinion which didn't even exist until several hours later.

Sounds like a great place! Tvoju mat to you, too!

:lmao

That's all you've got ??? :rollin

wisnub
07-29-2008, 01:01 PM
dAMN THIS FORUM IS GETTING HOTTER....

JamStone
07-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Fuckin Russians. Nothing changes.

Solid D
07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/click/jon_lovitz/clickpre3.jpg

Well, I've lived....everywhere! Yeah, that's it!

washingtonwizard
07-29-2008, 01:29 PM
:wow

If ignorance is a crime, you are a criminal on death row...probably you never served your country like I did! And yes, I served in different parts of the world, where beauty is infinite but liberty is non-existant...to make sure that you...have the liberty of stating your ignorance! God bless Ya' !

open your eyes my friend. U seem to b the ignorant one here. USA is not the best country to live in anymore.

Here is a report I've read a while back. It compares everything from crime, to healthcare, wealth, etc, etc.

Best Places to Live:

1 Vatican

2 Sweden

3 Luxembourg

4 Monaco

5 Gibraltar

6 San Marino

7 Liechtenstein

8 UK

9 Netherlands

10 Ireland

11 New Zealand

12 Denmark

13 Austria

14 Andorra

15 Germany

16 Iceland

17 Switzerland

18 Portugal

19 Australia

20 Norway

21 Malta

22 France

23 Canada

24 USA

rAm
07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
open your eyes my friend. U seem to b the ignorant one here. USA is not the best country to live in anymore.

Here is a report I've read a while back. It compares everything from crime, to healthcare, wealth, etc, etc.

Best Places to Live:

1 Vatican

2 Sweden

3 Luxembourg

4 Monaco

5 Gibraltar

6 San Marino

7 Liechtenstein

8 UK

9 Netherlands

10 Ireland

11 New Zealand

12 Denmark

13 Austria

14 Andorra

15 Germany

16 Iceland

17 Switzerland

18 Portugal

19 Australia

20 Norway

21 Malta

22 France

23 Canada

24 USA

lol @ vatican being #1

STX_21
07-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Statements like this bother me...since our boys are putting their lives on the line for people like you that do not appreciate that thanks to them...The Unites States of America is the best country in the world...No Question!!!!
Please accept that we may not be perfect but we are the best...ask the millions of inmigrants that live and work with you, daily! And the billions that would love to have the opportunities that you and I have. God bless you and our country!

I'm just concerned about your comprehension skills. Where did America being the best country in the world even come into question? The guy said that America is not the last safe place on earth. And that is a fact...not an opinion...you can check the statistics and there are many countries that would be higher on the "safest" list. Before you pick an argument, you have to READ and try to UNDERSTAND what is being said. I am a proud American citizen, but I know many people that scramble back to their homeland after being in America for a short while. Just be a little more open minded dude. The rest of the world isn't dying from AIDS and hunger....or US bombs.

JamStone
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I need to find out if I can get some Russian sports channels if I want to watch some good basketball this upcoming season.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM

ok, first of all, the fact that you assumed I'm American right away tells me something about how you think. Second, I'm not dissing on the US. I think there are a lot of wonderful places in America to make a life. It bothers me, however, the line of thinking that the US is the only fucking place where someone with money can live in safety. People who think their country is the only decent place and the rest is a shit hole, and think so out of ignorance rather than experience.

I don't know where you've lived, but I can assure you, the US is not the only decent place to live, and from what I gather, it's not the safest either. It doesn't make it any less great, its just the way things are. By the way, I also find hilarious that you seem to think Americans have a monopoly on freedom, as if it was an purely American export... its an ignorant point of view my friend. Work on changing that.

P.S. I don't mind if you think the US is the greatest country in the world. Hell, everyone thinks their country is the greatest at something. Its you stating it as an irrefutable fact that has you looking like a egocentric jackass.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-29-2008, 04:22 PM

No, I haven't been there, which doesn't mean I can't spot ignorance when I see it. My guess is you visited Russia, so you think you have the pulse on Russian society. Give me a fucking break.

By the way, I'm still laughing at you comparing Buenos Aires to the dirty parts of NYC and LA. Ignorance is unbecoming Mikey.

jag
07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
The vatican being #1 adds a lot of credibility to that list.

No.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-29-2008, 04:48 PM

No.

I'm sure the people living in the Vatican disagree

lefty
07-29-2008, 04:51 PM
http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/click/jon_lovitz/clickpre3.jpg

Well, I've lived....everywhere! Yeah, that's it!

Why are you posting a pic of yourself ????????? :wtf

MajorMike
07-29-2008, 05:13 PM
By the way, I'm still laughing at you comparing Buenos Aires to the dirty parts of NYC and LA. Ignorance is unbecoming Mikey.

You are right. BA is far, far more poverty riddled and has much more homeless teen children running around the streets.

I didn't mean to bring NY & LA down, sorry.

hater
07-29-2008, 05:15 PM

No.

yeah because the Vatican is the shithole we all hear it is. :lol

that list is the shit. Monaco, San Marino, Gibraltar??
awesome places to visit and live

MaNuMaNiAc
07-29-2008, 05:20 PM
You are right. BA is far, far more poverty riddled and has much more homeless teen children running around the streets.

I didn't mean to bring NY & LA down, sorry.

Another ignorance riddled post. You gunning for the record Mike? BA has its poor neighborhoods, as does any major metropolitan city in the world. My guess is you didn't spend even a day trying to get to know Buenos Aires and you passed straight from the airport to the bus stop, which I'm betting is all you fucking know of the city.

xcoriate
07-29-2008, 06:02 PM

hehe lol

diego
07-29-2008, 06:25 PM

sean taylor says hello.

how many NBA players have been robbed the past year? i think i remember randolph, c-webb, stromile swift, antoine walker, eddy curry...

at least noah herron managed to stop his burglar.

how many times did paul pierce get stabbed a couple years back?

i've only been in russia for a couple days, and i don't follow any of their sports leagues, but somehow i doubt you can name a single russia-based athlete that's been burglarized, assaulted, or murdered in the past two years.

Sissiborgo
07-29-2008, 06:55 PM
If you play in Russia you will be paid big time the mafia takes care og that.. In soccer they all stay there because of the money they get paid!...

MajorMike
07-29-2008, 07:04 PM
You guys are way too much fun.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-29-2008, 08:36 PM
yeah because the Vatican is the shithole we all hear it is. :lol

that list is the shit. Monaco, San Marino, Gibraltar??
awesome places to visit and live

Italy Riviera is #1 for me.

polandprzem
07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Who find no guilt in himrself please throw a stone

MajorMike
07-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Who find no guilt in himrself please throw a stone

Kumpel, its more, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone" or "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone"

johngateswhiteley
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
overreact much? fucking hell people...