PDA

View Full Version : Home Alarm

Mixability
07-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Looking for 24/7 monitoring.

Any companies to stay away from?

I only know of Brinks and ADT. Seem pretty much the same. Any tips on getting a better deal? My house is already pre-wired. Closing in the next week or so. Thanks in advance.

midgetonadonkey
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
My house was pre-wired when I got Brinks activated. I just had to pay the first month in advanced and got installation and the new keypad free.

Mixability
07-29-2008, 12:01 PM
My house was pre-wired when I got Brinks activated. I just had to pay the first month in advanced and got installation and the new keypad free.

:tu

How much a month? I'm looking to get another keypad upstairs in the master, did they happen to give you a price list of the options?

midgetonadonkey
07-29-2008, 12:03 PM
I pay $30 a month. I didn't get any other options because I only needed one keypad.

peewee's lovechild
07-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Hahaha.

The old one looked like something out of a 60s Star Trek episode.

BigZak
07-29-2008, 12:13 PM
dogs and a bat and a gun brah!

anyone have a story where their home alarm saved the day? share please...

cuz fuck 30 bux a month!

mrsmaalox
07-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Last summer a house on our street that had an alarm was broken into. The cop said the only way they are effective is if someone is home, cuz burglars work faster than the time it takes for someone to notice or show up. Also he said the best defense is to make the burglars bypass your house in the first place. Things like the glass storm doors take a couple more seconds to get into so they'll pass it up. Also big visible locks on gates and big dogs too. He said a burglar will drive down a street looking for an easy target; he sees a house with all those obstacles next to one without them, which one will he choose? Time spent is all they are concerned with.

Ballcox
07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
We just got a Brinks system installed in our home, mostly due to the fact that I have a soon to be 15 yr. old daughter and all the bullshit that entails.

But, we went with Brinks due to the fact that the contract with them does not include any yearly increases in our monthly fee that we pay where I've heard that ADT will increase the fee on a yearly basis.

Also, the Brinks contract will follow us to a new home if/when we move, set up and install at the new place. The old system will still be there so that whoever buys the home can just activate the system if they want the monthly service. Also improves the home vaule a little more.

MoSpur
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM
You get options like glass breaks and stuff like that and you pay for that up front I believe. They'll install like motion sensor in one area unless you want it in other areas. I say infest in a good watch dog.

Mixability
07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Unless the dog can double as a carbon monoxide detector and is outfitted with a camera for monitoring, I think I'll pass.

I was leaning towards ADT, since they offer cameras, but I think Brinks is looking better with the fixed rates.

thispego
07-29-2008, 03:03 PM
anythign happen to make you so safety consciious all of a sudden danyo?

Mixability
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
anythign happen to make you so safety consciious all of a sudden danyo?

Nothing at all, but with a new house for the wife and kid, it won't hurt to take precautions.