PDA

View Full Version : Camping on the Frio

Ginofan
07-29-2008, 12:50 PM
We are looking to go tent camping on the Frio sometime next month. I really don't want to do Garner because it's crowded and it's a state park...meaning no alcohol.

Does anyone else have any good suggestions as to where to camp on the frio? Good experiences? Bad experiences?

Thanks!

BacktoBasics
07-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Get rid of the tent and I'll sell you a trailer.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I can't remember what river Lost Maples is on but it was realllllllllllllllllllllllllly secluded there in the summer when I went. We drove to Garner the next day to check it out and just made a loop through the park because it looked like South Padre Island.

I dunno how all the river levels are though, so you could call ahead. We asked about beer there and the ranger just said it has to be "out of sight" so if you have a koozie on it its OK which struck me as really weird but knowing the way government operates it made some sense.

I dunno though man, camping in Texas in summer is pretty much a bitch unless you have high heat tolerance. Thats the only time I've done it and the only time I will outside of some place with cooler temps (UP IN MOUNTAINS - FUCK RIVERS).

BacktoBasics
07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I dunno though man, camping in Texas in summer is pretty much a bitch unless you have high heat tolerance. Thats the only time I've done it and the only time I will outside of some place with cooler temps (UP IN MOUNTAINS - FUCK RIVERS).
You'd think with that Congo background you'd have a higher tolerance to the hot stuff.

thispego
07-29-2008, 03:01 PM
sweating it out in the heat is a good thing.

Ginofan
07-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I can't remember what river Lost Maples is on but it was realllllllllllllllllllllllllly secluded there in the summer when I went. We drove to Garner the next day to check it out and just made a loop through the park because it looked like South Padre Island.

I dunno how all the river levels are though, so you could call ahead. We asked about beer there and the ranger just said it has to be "out of sight" so if you have a koozie on it its OK which struck me as really weird but knowing the way government operates it made some sense.

That's what my brother told me, to use a koozie and the park staff wouldn't say anything to you...but fucking Garner is packed anyway I don't know if it would be worth it.

I've done summer camping on canyon lake...I don't think it could be that different, could it? Perhaps slightly warmer. I think we'll just drive up there and check out what's around and find a spot, fuck it.