PDA

View Full Version : EARTHQUAKE in LA

InRareForm
07-29-2008, 01:51 PM
wow, that earthquake was the biggest I have experienced.

hope there is no big damage.

5.6 out of chino Hills, I hear.

clambake
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
just a little shake. nothing close to the northridge quake.

duncan228
07-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm hearing 5.8 now.

Sometimes I wonder why I live here.

I've been through bigger ones but they still scare me.

I'm still shaking.

InRareForm
07-29-2008, 01:54 PM
just a little shake. nothing close to the northridge quake.

scary nonetheless, LA hasn't had something like this since then.

IronMexican
07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
That was pretty nerve racking.

But I'm ok, and I hope everyone else is.

angel_luv
07-29-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm hearing 5.8 now.

Sometimes I wonder why I live here.

I've been through bigger ones but they still scare me.

I'm still shaking.

How nerve racking.

Aside from the scare, everything okay?

I hope so. :)

clambake
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
this is the first one my kid has ever felt.

he was cool with it.

that surpised me.

englishspursfan
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
im in san diego an i felt it too ..cooooooooooool

duncan228
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
How nerve racking.

Aside from the scare, everything okay?

I hope so. :)

Thanks, everything's fine. No damage, a few books fell from high shelves. Cats are freaking out. I'll never get used to them, it's a scary thing to go through. It lasts seconds but feels like hours.

angel_luv
07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks, everything's fine. No damage, a few books fell from high shelves. Cats are freaking out. I'll never get used to them, it's a scary thing to go through. It lasts seconds but fels like hours.

My mom used to live in California and she's said similar.

Glad you are all okay. :)

duncan228
07-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I just felt that shit in San Diego!!!

They're saying it was felt from LA to Vegas.

duncan228
07-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I know there are a bunch of us on ST that are in Southern California, could you guys check in and let us know you're okay?

angel_luv
07-29-2008, 02:12 PM
It must be one of the worst things ever to have an earthquake happen while you are driving.

I can't even imagine.

duncan228
07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
It must be one of the worst things ever to have an earthquake happen while you are driving.

I can't even imagine.

The little ones you don't even feel if you're driving. I don't know about the bigger ones, I've never been driving in one.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
The little ones you don't even feel if you're driving. I don't know about the bigger ones, I've never been driving in one.

I'm kind of a disaster buff. From what I've read, being in a car while an Earthquake happens is like having a flat tire. The car shudders, and if it's a big quake, you might be unlucky enough to see the freeway moving like a wave behind you.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm kind of a disaster buff. From what I've read, being in a car while an Earthquake happens is like having a flat tire. The car shudders, and if it's a big quake, you might be unlucky enough to see the freeway moving like a wave behind you.

Oh wow thats fucking trippy.

I saw the alert when I woke up and called my sister but she didn't answer. She just moved there in December so this is her first quake. She usually sleeps late into the day so I'm wondering if it even woke her up... :lol

thispego
07-29-2008, 02:29 PM
you guys better leave california before it breaks off into the ocean

phyzik
07-29-2008, 02:32 PM

:lol

Seriously though... At what point do you tell yourself that enough is enough... Do people in Cali fool themselves into believing that was the last one or that Cali will never see a major event such as Thispego suggests?

Its like watching those people in Tornado alley saying on TV that they are going to rebuild. You just want to reach in the TV and strangle them.

Im not trying to patronize anyone, but it just seems rediculous to me.

brettn
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM

and becomes a haven for criminals

Snake Pliskin will spare no one.

(*see ESCAPE FROM LA)

duncan228
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
It's been downgraded to 5.4. Still no reports of injuries.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
:lol

Seriously though... At what point do you tell yourself that enough is enough... Do people in Cali fool themselves into believing that was the last one or that Cali will never see a major event such as Thispego suggests?

Its like watching those people in Tornado alley saying on TV that they are going to rebuild. You just want to reach in the TV and strangle them.

Im not trying to patronize anyone, but it just seems rediculous to me.

Why? Someone's chances of dying in a quake in LA are pretty small. Shit happens, but shit happens everywhere and California is a pretty awesome place to live.

duncan228
07-29-2008, 02:44 PM

"California tumbles into the sea"- Steely Dan "My Old School"

InRareForm
07-29-2008, 02:50 PM
They say the rule of thumb is 5% chance that a earthquake is a foreshock in the next 24 hours for an upcoming bigger one.

Very unlikely, but still 5% is 5% chance.

thispego
07-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Why? Someone's chances of dying in a quake in LA are pretty small. Shit happens, but shit happens everywhere and California is a pretty awesome place to live.

yeah anything could happen anywhere, but when shit goes down in cali and san francisco sinks into the pacific, that'll be one of those "anythings" that everyone saw coming.

T Park
07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
little bit of a shake in Orange County here where I am.

No big deal.

iminlakerland
07-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I was naping and i woke up from it, there were two huge jolts and then swaying...needless to say it was nothing like the Northridge one, but you never get used to it!

Not much damage other than a few things falling off of shelves. The only thing is its over an hour when it happened, and i still cant make phone calls on my cell. My mom is finally back home so i've accounted for everyone.

Hope everyone else is ok!

MannyIsGod
07-29-2008, 03:05 PM
yeah anything could happen anywhere, but when shit goes down in cali and san francisco sinks into the pacific, that'll be one of those "anythings" that everyone saw coming.

More chance of a rock falling on your head than that happening.

nkdlunch
07-29-2008, 03:06 PM
I am still moving to Cali. like someone said, we could die of anything anywhere anytime. might as well die in the bad ass state of CA

JoeChalupa
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Unless I work in Hollywood no way I'd ever live in CA. Been there, done that.

nkdlunch
07-29-2008, 03:07 PM

yup. I'd say there is at least 100x more chance of dying in car accident than dying on any natural disaster.

JoeChalupa
07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
yup. I'd say there is at least 100x more chance of dying in car accident than dying on any natural disaster.

I concur. Cali is just not for....and I'm sure Caleefornians agree.

Pistons < Spurs
07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I want to experience an earthquake someday. Just to see what it's like.

peewee's lovechild
07-29-2008, 03:14 PM

No part of California is ever going to "sink".

There are no diverging or converging plates anywhere in California.

duncan228
07-29-2008, 03:15 PM
little bit of a shake in Orange County here where I am.

No big deal.

Are you in Irvine?

peewee's lovechild
07-29-2008, 03:15 PM
You okay, Duncan228?

How are your kids?

I. Hustle
07-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I can't see paying all that money to live in a place that is going to sink

peewee's lovechild
07-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I hope all the cool L.A. posters are okay.

But, I also hope Kobe got swallowed up somehow.

florige
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM

You can keep that experience.... lol

duncan228
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM

Trust me, you don't. It's a helpless feeling, there's nothing you can do to stop it. You don't know how bad it's going to be or how long it will last. You don't know if the walls around you are going to hold up or fall on you. Or if stuff is going to start falling on you.

It's not fun. This was the longest 20 seconds you can imagine.

thispego
07-29-2008, 03:18 PM

which is why i also dont live next to any open cliffs or falling rock road hazards.

http://www.chinatownconnection.com/images/pic8.jpg

angel_luv
07-29-2008, 03:19 PM

Not a chance.

With all that hot air he'll just float up to safety.

thispego
No part of California is ever going to "sink".

There are no diverging or converging plates anywhere in California.

oh jesus :rolleyes

duncan228
You okay, Duncan228?

How are your kids?

Thanks peewee, we're okay. My daughter screamed through it, she's still pretty freaked out. She's been through others but doesn't remember them. This one she won't forget.

clambake
07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks peewee, we're okay. My daughter screamed through it, she's still pretty freaked out. She's been through others but doesn't remember them. This one she won't forget.

you must be close to the chino?

peewee's lovechild
07-29-2008, 03:24 PM

I'm glad you guys are okay.

I hope your daughter is doing better now.

peewee's lovechild
07-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Not a chance.

With all that hot air he'll just float up to safety.

:lol:lol

duncan228
07-29-2008, 03:27 PM
you must be close to the chino?

Not really, about 30 miles. But this was a good shake. Maybe it's just because I haven't been in one for a few years. I was here for the Whittier one, I remember that one being worse than this one.

I was in a 6.8 in Washington State in 2001, that was worse than this too.

This shook the house, it had the rumble noise and the wave feeling. Everything was moving, it's a scary feeling.

clambake
07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Not really, about 30 miles. But this was a good shake. Maybe it's just because I haven't been in one for a few years. I was here for the Whittier one, I remember that one being worse than this one.

This shook the house, it had the rumble noise and the wave feeling. Everything was moving, it's a scary feeling.

sounds like you're still shaking :lol

Heath Ledger
07-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Im in Chino, the epicenter was 2.5 miles away in Chino Hills, i have never been more scared in my life. My warehouse shook like a mother fucker but we're all okay. I had to call a locksmith when i ran out of my office my door swung shut and locked all of my keys inside. My first quake since ive lived here in about 2 years. Im so ready for our move to Vegas which is next week. At first i thought a bomb or some shit went off, then it began rumbiling, i run out of my office into our main showroom, it picked up steam i saw the walls moving and im like im getting the fuck out of here and ran outside. Where ther was about 10 people.

A few small aftershocks since but nothing major.

E20
07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
That sucks. Hope everybody is doing okay. We sometimes get some minor quakes here but nothing too big. I think the longest one lasted like 10 seconds and it sort of felt like some massage, not too bad.

Heath Ledger
07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Its funny a few nights ago my gf and I were talking about how we were bummed cuz we've been here 2 years and never really felt an earthquake one time she said she felt some tremors, but we were saying its a bummer how we are going to move and not get to feel at least one earthquake then boom one hits us from 2.5 miles away. I tweaked my back when i jumped up out of my chair.

Oh well at least i got a discount on my locksmtih fee it was $50 but traded the guy for couple of knives and gave him $20

Kori Ellis
07-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I am glad that everyone is okay.

I used to not mind earthquakes at all - until I was living in Northridge during the Northridge quake - SCARY!

duncan228
Im in Chino, the epicenter was 2.5 miles away in Chino Hills, i have never been more scared in my life. My warehouse shook like a mother fucker but we're all okay. I had to call a locksmith when i ran out of my office my door swung shut and locked all of my keys inside. My first quake since ive lived here in about 2 years. Im so ready for our move to Vegas which is next week. At first i thought a bomb or some shit went off, then it began rumbiling, i run out of my office into our main showroom, it picked up steam i saw the walls moving and im like im getting the fuck out of here and ran outside. Where ther was about 10 people.

A few small aftershocks since but nothing major.

Damn. I'm glad you're okay. Your first one is never fun, to be on top of the epicenter is really frightening.

Any damage in your warehouse?

Every quake I've been through I always think it's something else first. A big truck rumbling by, a train, a bomb (in Washington when we were across from a military base.) It seems to take a second for your mind to grasp what it really is.

We've only felt a couple of the aftershocks, I'm hoping we don't feel anymore.

Heath Ledger
Like 2 hours later and im still fucking shaking, shit there goes another aftershock.

Sportcamper
07-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Earthquakes are typical here in the Southland...
:sleep:sleep:sleep

Whereas precipitation is....HUGE!:wow

Heath Ledger
07-29-2008, 03:38 PM
No real damage some shit fell off of shelves, but i hear nonstop ambulances for about an hour, possible some people had a damn heart attack it was pretty frightening. Not what i expected at all it really felt like a concussion from a bomb at first.

Kori Ellis
07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Every quake I've been through I always think it's something else first. A big truck rumbling by, a train, a bomb (in Washington when we were across from a military base.) It seems to take a second for your mind to grasp what it really is.

Me too. I remember that in the Northridge quake I heard it before I felt it; so I had no idea what it was for a few seconds. It was a huge roaring sound.

And for all the times that they tell you that "you are safer to stay inside," I still ran out. :lol

clambake
07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I am glad that everyone is okay.

I used to not mind earthquakes at all - until I was living in Northridge during the Northridge quake - SCARY!

that was a real bear. our fridge landed upside down in the living room. :lol

Heath Ledger
07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
just felt the biggest aftershock so far felt like the ground dropped for a 2nd then went back up.

Kori Ellis
07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
... our fridge landed upside down in the living room. :lol

:lol Ours too. In addition to every single freakin piece of glass in the whole apartment being broken on the ground. You never realize how much stuff is glass until it's all smashed.

thispego
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
just felt the biggest aftershock so far felt like the ground dropped for a 2nd then went back up.

get ur highwaters!

Heath Ledger
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
This is spooky shit, you can hear our warehouse like creak after every aftershock, weve had about 7 or 8 of them so far the worst one a minute ago some 2 hours or so after the quake.

Sportcamper
07-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Mr Heath...Dude…You really need to tune into Paul Moyer & find out what really is important in So Cal….
There was 100th of an inch of rain in Burbank! Storm Watch 2008!
http://www.ronfineman.com/subscribers/moyer.jpg

clambake
07-29-2008, 03:48 PM
:lol Ours too. In addition to every single freakin piece of glass in the whole apartment being broken on the ground. You never realize how much stuff is glass until it's all smashed.

we had just adopted a dog that wouldn't give us the time of day........until after the quake. he got trapped in a bedroom and we had to axe him out.

after that, he wouldn't give us a minute alone. :lol

InRareForm
07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Mr Heath...Dude…You really need to tune into Paul Moyer & find out what really is important in So Cal….
There was 100th of an inch of rain in Burbank! Storm Watch 2008!
http://www.ronfineman.com/subscribers/moyer.jpg

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lmao

duncan228
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
This is spooky shit, you can hear our warehouse like creak after every aftershock, weve had about 7 or 8 of them so far the worst one a minute ago some 2 hours or so after the quake.

It is scary, you keep wondering if the first one was a foreshock and every after shock has you thinking it's going to be worse.

It should settle and the shocks will get weaker. I don't know what to say to help you feel better, all I can say is I know how you feel. I was on top of the epicenter in a 6.8, it's no fun. That was by far the worst one I've been through and it wasn't in California.

duncan228
07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Me too. I remember that in the Northridge quake I heard it before I felt it; so I had no idea what it was for a few seconds. It was a huge roaring sound.

And for all the times that they tell you that "you are safer to stay inside," I still ran out. :lol

The sound is scary by itself. It's so loud, it feels like it's getting inside of you.

I've gone outside too, usually after it stops but twice during one. I think it's a natural reaction. It feels safer outside, there's no walls to crumble and no stuff to fly at you. As long as you're not near trees and power lines.

Heath Ledger
07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
If i never experienced one again it wouldnt hurt my feelings. :) I got what i asked for and im not impressed...

Brutalis
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Tornadoes are hella worse. But I hope everyone is alright.

duncan228
07-29-2008, 04:04 PM
If i never experienced one again it wouldnt hurt my feelings. :) I got what i asked for and im not impressed...

They're no fun. I'm glad you're moving but this one was felt in Vegas too. :lol

Heath Ledger
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM
it was felt ther but it was very mild.

duncan228
07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Tornadoes are hella worse. But I hope everyone is alright.

Haven't been through a tornado. I've heard they're pretty scary too. I've done hurricanes and earthquakes, I guess that's the extent of my natural events.

Do blizzards count? Ones that close the state for days?

duncan228
07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/07/shake_rattle_an.html

Shake, rattle and roll

VENTURA, Calif. - My legs feel like rubber.

That's because a 5.8 earthquake just shook Southern California, according to breaking-news television reports.

I was sitting in my fourth-floor hotel room here at the Ventura Beach Marriott working on a story about Cowboys receiver and Brackenridge graduate Sam Hurd when the room started swaying. (And, no, I haven't been drinking.)

It lasted a good 8 to 10 seconds and scared the heck out of me.

According to Los Angeles' ABC affiliate, the quake shook L.A. and the San Fernando Valley. It's epicenter apparently was Chino Hills, which is west of Los Angeles and south of Pomona.

The ABC affiliate says the shaking lasted about 20 seconds in L.A.

According to Fox News, no damage has been reported, although there have been evaquations from places where large numbers of people are gathered.

My wife, Beth, was on the first floor when it hit. She said a group of guests in the lobby from Germany looked visably shaken (no pun intended).

The ABC affiliate is now reporting that all of the rides at DisneyLand have been shut down.

CNN is also reporting the quake, saying it was indeed 5.8.

I'll have the Cowboys' reaction later this afternoon. Practice starts at 4:30 p.m. Central.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Hurricanes are the worst. Its like a tornado that lasts for half a day or more.

Heath Ledger
07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
There are now shots of damage on cnn, hockey rink badly damaged, lax was damaged, watermain burst in downtown la, warehouse roof crumbled older structure.

No reeports of injuries yet, also metrolink caught on fire.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
[url]
The ABC affiliate is now reporting that all of the rides at DisneyLand have been shut down.

I was at DisneyATM last week and I was wondering to myself if they'd shut the park down should an earthquake hit. I guess I got my answer.

lefty
07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Funny, (actually it's not), me and my GF were talking about L.A yesterday, and I mentioned the Big One.

While it was not the Big One, it's really weird that and earthquake happened after that conversation :wow

Me and my big mouth....:bang

Sonia_TX
07-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks, everything's fine. No damage, a few books fell from high shelves. Cats are freaking out. I'll never get used to them, it's a scary thing to go through. It lasts seconds but feels like hours.

My cousin lives a bit north of LA and she sent me the EXACT same text message (ok, not EXACT but still, close enough).

I think you are my cousin and I don't even know it. :P

duncan228
07-29-2008, 05:36 PM
I think you are my cousin and I don't even know it. :P

Stranger things have happened. :)

T Park
07-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Are you in Irvine?

No Costa Mesa.

baseline bum
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I was in a 7.1 one time @like 3 in the morning, and had no idea (I was sleeping). I thought my roommate was just jacking off in the bottom bunk. I yelled for him to stop a couple of times, and then went right back to sleep. When I woke up in the morning I realized he had gone home for the weekend, and everyone told me there was a massive quake. :lol

My friends told me you could see my building swaying back and forth during it (it was 7 stories).

slayermin
07-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Thoughts and prayers for all my friends and family in LA.

It looks like I picked a good time time to visit San Antonio.

phyzik
07-30-2008, 01:08 AM

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/tornado.jpg

wait a second.... think for just a minute.... thats over your house.... It happens EVERY YEAR.... EVERY MOTHERFUCKING YEAR!!!!!

http://www.thelope.com/images/07-05-08-171.jpg

We are the strong! we are goin 'ta rebuld!

SUGESTION:

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/63/72/23107263.jpg

PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER NOW!!

phyzik
07-30-2008, 01:21 AM
I was on the 7th floor of a 10 story office building. We all thought the building might collapse. It only lasted for about 4 seconds in San Diego but still was weird as hell.

This is fucking awesome!

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NasaNews/ReleaseImages/20041004/04_LOMA-Prieta2.jpg

I live in Utopia!!!

http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/circular/c1242/images/fireball.jpg

We are safe, it doesnt happen THAT often!!

http://images.oldhouseweb.com/stories/bitmaps/12161/earthquake3.jpg

Im just as dumb as those stupid fuckers that live in tornado alley, but I laugh at them, because I live in California with an actor as a governor!!

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NasaNews/ReleaseImages/20041004/04_LOMA-Prieta2.jpg

I will just rebuild... there is no concievable fucking way its going to happen after the last 2340598623502345698 times!!!

:lmao

seriously... I dont fucking get it. Does Cali even know the saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." ????

I mean, Texas has their share of dumbasses but come on!!!

MannyIsGod
07-30-2008, 01:53 AM
You're overstating how often earthquakes happen and I don't think you understand how awesome California is. Why do you think they're so populated? Have you ever been there in the summer? Fuck 95 degrees with 60 percent humidity when you have nearly perfect weather in almost all of the state.

I'm going to assume you never get on a road because god knows your chances of living in California and being hurt by a quake are far less than that of being in a car accident and I KNOW you wouldn't want to take that kind of risk, right? I'm sure you leave that to the dumbasses, right?

E20
07-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Is Manny being sarcastic on how good Cali is? Sort of seems like it LMAO

MannyIsGod
07-30-2008, 01:57 AM
No. I like Cali a lot. I don't really like the LA area too much, but Central California along the coast is without a doubt where I'd live if I could afford it.

E20
07-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Sucks that you will be seeing more of these http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/icons/snowaward.gif soon.

lebomb
07-30-2008, 08:15 AM
I could give too shits if California has gold plated roads and lollypops for trees.........FUCK earthquakes. I would never, ever live in that shit hole. San Antonio FTW!!!! :toast

phyzik
07-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Here's video footage from Judge Judy during the earthquake

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/07/29/vo.quake.judge.judy.cnn

phyzik
07-30-2008, 09:40 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/30/earthquake.ca/index.html

Experts, officials say earthquake a wake-up call to be prepared

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- One reason the California earthquake caused only minor damage was new, tough building codes enacted since the deadly Northridge quake in 1994, according to an expert with the U.S. Geological Survey.

AutoZone manager Daniel Sanchez cleans up after the earthquake in Diamond Bar, California, on Tuesday.

1 of 3 more photos » Tuesday's quake "was located in an area that's been almost completely built since about 1995," seismologist Lucy Stone told CNN. "We had major changes in the building codes because of what we learned in Northridge. And the most modern construction is really much, much better to withstand earthquakes than earlier buildings. There weren't many older buildings nearby."

The magnitude 5.4 earthquake in metropolitan Los Angeles, California, caused no serious damage or injuries, but experts say it's a reminder that the "Big One" could happen at any time.

"This earthquake reminds us to be prepared," California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said. "We were very fortunate that there were no serious injuries or property damage."

California has a 99 percent chance of experiencing a major earthquake within the next 30 years, according to a report by state and federal agencies.

The Los Angeles quake "is a sample, a small sample," said Kate Hutton, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology. Watch 'Judge Judy' taping rocked by quake »

Hutton said there is a 5 percent chance the quake could be a precursor to a larger earthquake. After 24 hours, she said, that chance will drop to 1 percent.

Don't Miss
Honore: Task of Americans to be ready for disaster
LA TImes: California has learned quake lessons
KABC: Quake felt from Los Angeles to San Diego
"Every earthquake relieves some stress," Hutton said. "It's usually only a drop in the ocean. In other words, the amount of stress released by this earthquake is minuscule compared to the amount that's built up and is building up for the Big One when it happens some day in the future."

And when will that be?

"From a geologist's point of view, the answer has to be soon," she said. "But geologists are used to thinking on millions of years and thousands of years time scale, so I don't think that gives any useful information for people, except be prepared at any time because it could happen at any time." Watch Hutton say Tuesday's quake was a sign of bigger ones to come »

A magnitude 5.4 quake shook northern California in April. A magnitude 4.4 struck the greater Los Angeles area in August 2007.

There is a 99 percent chance of California experiencing a quake of magnitude 6.7 or more within the next 30 years, according to the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast, sponsored by the U.S. Geological Survey, the California Geological Survey and the Southern California Earthquake Center in a report published in Science Daily in April.

Schwarzenegger said he believes the state is "as prepared as anyone can be. We have continuous discussions about that. We are fanatics about emergencies and to be ready."

The largest earthquake in recent years in California was a magnitude 7.1 in 1999, Hutton said. But it was centered in the desert, near Twentynine Palms, in a sparsely populated area.

Tuesday's quake struck about 11:42 a.m., according to the USGS. Its epicenter was about 2 miles southwest of Chino Hills and about 5 miles southeast of Diamond Bar.

More than 30 aftershocks were recorded. Hutton said the largest was a magnitude 3.6.

Los Angeles police said a downtown hotel sustained some structural damage, but no one was injured and the building was not evacuated. There were some unconfirmed reports of minor injuries.

Despite the absence of serious damage or injuries, some Los Angeles-area residents were left rattled. The quake was felt as far south as San Diego, and the USGS said it received reports of light shaking as far north as Rosamond, California, about 55 miles north-northeast of Los Angeles.

Reports from those who felt the quake poured into CNN.

"My house was like a fun house. Everything was moving," said Danny Casler, 28, of Huntington Beach. He said he was sleeping when his house began shaking, and some things fell in the living room. He ran out of the house in his boxer shorts.

Lawyer Kevin Crisp said he was on the phone with his partner, who burst out, "Big quake!" Crisp said he felt it about five seconds later. "This was very impressive. Long and very uniform. Really had the building going." He said doors were swinging on the hinges and bottles of wine were rolling back and forth on his shelf.

"It just started with a really strong jolt," Wendy Criner said. "I ran and got my daughters from different rooms, and we squatted in the living room. I did have stuff fall off the shelf, some books in my daughters' room and some things in the kitchen."

The quake knocked out a ground radar system at Los Angeles International Airport, but that did not interfere with operations, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. Tiles fell from the ceiling in one terminal as water flowed from a burst pipe.

The calculation of the quake's magnitude fluctuated as seismologists reviewed the data. Initially classified as a magnitude 5.8, the quake's intensity was reduced to a 5.6 and then to a 5.4. Because the earthquake magnitude scale is exponential, a 5.8 magnitude quake is four to five times more intense than a 5.4.

Two nuclear plants are in the vicinity of the quake's epicenter near Chino Hills, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The closest to the epicenter is in San Onofre, 50 miles south, but an NRC spokesman said, "this is well below the threshold for any conceivable damage to the plants."

Still, the quake jolted the nerves of many Californians.

thispego
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
LOL. they even capitalize it ... "the Big One"

Taco
07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
MAKE YOUR OWN EARTHQUAKE

http://dsc.discovery.com/guides/planetearth/earthquake/interactive/interactive.html

Spuradicator
07-30-2008, 12:40 PM
I have a friend who was visitin L.A. yesterday when it happened. She said it wasn't anything big or real scary

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
From what I've read, being in a car while an Earthquake happens is like having a flat tire.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I thought had happened.
I had just left the house to go to work. I was no more than three houses away when it hit. My truck jerked to the right really sharply, and I wondered wtf? Got it straightened out and kept rolling, not really thinking anything of it. Turned on Jim Rome's show. He was in the middle of an interview, and broke in really fast to say that we had just had a sizable earthquake. Thought to myself "So THAT'S what that was!". :lol

Hope I qualify.

No such luck.
The diva is already in China for the Olympics.
Funny story: the show on out here after Rome's show has two of the biggest Kobe fluffers walking the planet (Mychal Thompson and Vic "the Brick" Jacobs). The other host, Steve Hartman, reads the station's message boards all throughout the show. Most of the posts are really negative; always bagging on the hosts for something or other. One of the ones that came in after the quake was read on the air, and I couldn't stop laughing as a result.
It read "Quick, Vic: call Kobe! See if he's alright!!!!" :lmao

Funny, (actually it's not), me and my GF were talking about L.A yesterday, and I mentioned the Big One.

While it was not the Big One, it's really weird that and earthquake happened after that conversation :wow

Me and my big mouth....:bang

You couldn't have chosen to speak of money falling from the sky out here, huh?
Bastard!
:flipoff

IronMexican
07-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Oddly enough, that's exactly what I

No such luck.
The diva is already in China for the Olympics.
Funny story: the show on out here after Rome's show has two of the biggest Kobe fluffers walking the planet (Mychal Thompson and Vic "the Brick" Jacobs). The other host, Steve Hartman, reads the station's message boards all throughout the show. Most of the posts are really negative; always bagging on the hosts for something or other. One of the ones that came in after the quake was read on the air, and I couldn't stop laughing as a result.
It read "Quick, Vic: call Kobe! See if he's alright!!!!" :lmao

Hahahah, Vic, he is like that lovable homer, but everyone else hates him.

lefty
07-30-2008, 01:37 PM
You couldn't have chosen to speak of money falling from the sky out here, huh?
Bastard! :flipoff

Sorry :D

lefty
07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
It turns out that Shaq was playing a pickup game at Venice beach

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2008, 11:46 PM
learn to swim....

learn to swim....