PDA

View Full Version : Gomes signs 5 year deal to stay in Minnesota

NBA Junkie
07-29-2008, 05:41 PM
The Wolves make another smart inexpensive deal which won't hinder them if they want to be major players in the 2010 FA sweepstakes:

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wolves/

Ryan Gomes officially signed his contract today and then he and Kevin McHale announced the agreement in a news conference at Farview Community Center, where Gomes last winter donated a heart defibrillator with his Hoops for Heart Health Foundation.

Here’s the deal on the deal: Officially, it’s for five years, although the Wolves have options after the second and third years and Gomes has the option after the fourth year. So the first two years are guaranteed, at $3.5 million next season and $3.8 million in 2009-2010. His salary jumps above $4 million after that if the team exercises its option. If Gomes remains a Timberwolf for all five seasons, the contract will approach $22 million.

If the Wolves want to clear more cap room for the 2010 free agent class, they could decide not to pick up Gomes’ option that summer and he’d become an unrestricted free agent.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Sharp move. I like Gomes' game.

angelbelow
07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
not bad, i like gomes as well, wanted us to make a play for him too.

Biggems
07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
i dont see why we couldnt have offered up a deal like that for Gomes......oh well....

JamStone
07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
They don't need to clear cap space for the summer of 2010. Even if they're offering max money, no elite player of any significance is signing with Minnesota.

Not a bad deal for Gomes and for Minnesota.