PDA

View Full Version : Favre forces Packers to make decision, files for reinstatement

xtremesteven33
07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Consider the Green Bay Packers backed up against their own goal line.

Brett Favre followed through on his statements that he wanted to come out of retirement by faxing his reinstatement letter to the NFL on Tuesday.

League spokesman Randall Liu confirmed the action after ESPN's Chris Mortensen had reported it earlier.

Favre sent the letter to the league office late Tuesday afternoon and also spoke by phone with commissioner Roger Goodell, who indicated he will not act on Tuesday in hopes the Packers and Favre can reach a resolution during the next 24 hours, the sources said.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson then will be forced to make a decision -- accept Favre back, trade him or release him.

NFC North blog

ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

"It's obviously the first step in Brett coming back, but we'll deal with that when Brett is reinstated and have a plan for that when he comes back," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, adding that the team is still committed to Aaron Rodgers as its starting quarterback.

McCarthy added: "The plan for Brett Favre will be discussed first with Brett Favre and then we'll make the public aware of it."

Rodgers tried to take the latest news in stride.

"I'm not as affected as you guys think I am or should be," he said. "They told me I'm the starter, and until that changes, that's going to be my focus. I keep saying that."

Rodgers has played in seven games over three seasons as Favre's understudy, but he wasn't about to hand over his job.

"I have confidence in myself and I have confidence in how the coaches on the staff feel about me," he said. "And he's not here yet. We're still dealing in hypotheticals for the moment, until he gets here."

Not all of the Packers could just brush off the situation, however.

"Any time you have a situation where there is a distraction or one guy getting all the attention or the buzz, rather than on us concentrating or executing plays, you get tired of answering questions," defensive back Charles Woodson said. "It's only going to be worse if he shows up in camp tomorrow or the next day.

"We've just all got to be prepared to be professionals and to practice hard and work hard and make sure everyone on the team is doing their job."

The Favre saga hasn't been short on daily drama off the field.

Favre told Mortensen on Sunday that the GM had pleaded with the quarterback not to show up at camp on Sunday, so that the situation could be resolved.

"I asked Ted [Saturday], 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' And Ted was just about shattered," Favre said. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that -- you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

With no concrete movement in the past few days, Favre made his move. The Packers have publicly committed to Rodgers, however.

Favre has offered to compete for the starting job in training camp, but he said in Sunday's interview that he was told that is not an option.

"It's pretty clear -- and this is what I told the commissioner -- that they want me to go away, stay retired," Favre said.

The Packers have already said that they will not release their former franchise quarterback, but they have looked into trading him. Nothing tangible has happened on that front either.

Favre retired in March after 16 season in the league as the all-time leader in touchdown passes with 442.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3509944

Spuradicator
07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
So if there are no offers for Favre, what will Green Bay do? Pay him 12 million to ride the pine?

dbreiden83080
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
GB should just let him go. He'll only play 1 or 2 more years anyway. So maybe he goes to a division rival for a year or 2. So what, why is that a big deal if the Packers don't want him anymore? Also nobody is going to give them a first RD pick for maybe 2 years service out of Favre.

Spuradicator
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
I wonder if there is a stipulation in his contract that says he can nix any trade.

PeterBurns
07-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Good grief. What if Chicago made a play for him. That would be epic. Or even the Vikings would be great drama.

J.T.
07-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Packers have to decide which is worse, paying Favre all that money to do nothing, or releasing him and watching him end up in Minnesota.

peewee's lovechild
07-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Treat him like the bitch he is.

Bring him back as the back-up QB.

It will eventually frustrate him and force him to go back to retirement.

Whisky Dog
07-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Treat him like the bitch he is.

Bring him back as the back-up QB.

It will eventually frustrate him and force him to go back to retirement.

That would be the thing to do if they don't mind eating the 12 mil. They would have to be up front and say from the beginning that he will be on the roster, but will be inactive for the entire season and basically have no chance in hell of playing no matter what happens.

I personally would not release him unless there is no other option. I don't know what power he has in his contract to veto trades, but if he doesn't have much then I would look to trade him to an AFC mid pack team (possibly the Raiders) for basically whatever you can get. If they'll give up a 3rd or 4th then do it.

Whisky Dog
07-30-2008, 08:51 AM
That said, Brett Favre is a giant, world class puto.

peewee's lovechild
07-30-2008, 09:21 AM
That would be the thing to do if they don't mind eating the 12 mil. They would have to be up front and say from the beginning that he will be on the roster, but will be inactive for the entire season and basically have no chance in hell of playing no matter what happens.

I personally would not release him unless there is no other option. I don't know what power he has in his contract to veto trades, but if he doesn't have much then I would look to trade him to an AFC mid pack team (possibly the Raiders) for basically whatever you can get. If they'll give up a 3rd or 4th then do it.

I'd take him in, pay him, and make him ride the bench out of spite.

Just to send a message that no one player is above the team.

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 09:24 AM

lol, they should just let him go.

BacktoBasics
07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
lol, they should just let him go.Not if you think he'll help a rival win a Super Bowl.

12 million is worth keeping your competition from being over the hump.

peewee's lovechild
07-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Not if you think he'll help a rival win a Super Bowl.

Exactly.

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Not if you think he'll help a rival win a Super Bowl.

The only 2 teams that I think he will make a big difference in is Minn and Chicago.

peewee's lovechild
07-30-2008, 10:02 AM
The only 2 teams that I think he will make a big difference in is Minn and Chicago.

Ziggi is chomping at the bit to sign Favre.

Everyone knows this.

The Vikes are a solid QB away from making a play for the NFC Championship. They have an above average defense that got better with the signing of Allen and thier running game is unbelievable.

If they get Favre somehow, they are an automatic contender . . . at Green Bay's expense.

And, you NEVER, NEVER let a division rival acquire talent at your expense.

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Ziggi is chomping at the bit to sign Favre.

Everyone knows this.

The Vikes are a solid QB away from making a play for the NFC Championship. They have an above average defense that got better with the signing of Allen and thier running game is unbelievable.

If they get Favre somehow, they are an automatic contender . . . at Green Bay's expense.

And, you NEVER, NEVER let a division rival acquire talent at your expense.

I would love to see him move on to the vikes, that would make for some interesting (more than normal) Vikes vs Packs matchups. It won't happen however.

O-Factor
07-30-2008, 11:02 AM

I'd love to see that personally.....

So everytime Rodgers fucks up, you will hear roars of "Favre, Favre, Favre"

It would totally kill Rodgers confidence, the thing they are trying to protect.

Whisky Dog
07-30-2008, 11:12 AM

That's why you state up front that he is benched for the season and will not play a down under any circumstances. IR his ass if you have to.

Still, the best thing to do trade him to a shitty or mid AFC team with no chance at getting past the Pats, Colts, or Chargers.

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 11:15 AM

Fuck that pussy Rodgers, I hope he fails and they screw over Farve so he doesnt want to come back.

O-Factor
07-30-2008, 11:32 AM
^I believe Rodgers will have no problem failing, with or without Favre on the bench.

ATRAIN
07-30-2008, 11:32 AM
^I believe Rodgers will have no problem failing, with or without Favre on the bench.

Just like the way he failed at Cal!!

xtremesteven33
07-30-2008, 11:37 AM
powers that be wont let Favre (the most popular and ratings drawing player in the history of the NFL) go to a team that wont get to the playoffs.

my prediction is the Packers will release him and Favre will sign with the Vikings. sounds crazy but thats the way sports works now days. its all about the money