PDA

View Full Version : Bennigan's is toast.

exstatic
07-29-2008, 07:17 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Restaurant chains Bennigan's and Steak & Ale have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and will shut their doors, less than two months after their parent company said it was not preparing to do so.

The companies filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday in the Eastern District of Texas. Their parent company - privately held Metromedia Restaurant Group - is based in Plano, Texas.

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, a company seeks to liquidate its assets and shut down.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/29/news/companies/bennigans_bankruptcy.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008072915

I used to love Bennigan's. Went there in the 80s all the way up to the early 90s, but eventually, their $10 burgers made no sense.

PeterBurns
07-29-2008, 07:19 PM
The one's in SA will stay open. They are franchised, and owned by a different company then Bennigan's home corporation.

Ocotillo
07-29-2008, 07:21 PM
I'll steer clear of the San Antonio ones as well. Too smokey to have a meal in.

exstatic
07-29-2008, 07:21 PM
How can you have a franchise for something that no longer exists?

exstatic
07-29-2008, 07:22 PM
I'll steer clear of the San Antonio ones as well. Too smokey to have a meal in.

You haven't been in a while, either, eh? There's no smoking in SA restaurants or bars.

mommaDONEraisedaTHUG
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
news 4 woai reported the san antonio locations will remain open...

exstatic
07-29-2008, 07:37 PM
news 4 woai reported the san antonio locations will remain open...

I can't imagine it will be forever. How do you work a franchise agreement for a defunct company?

I'd be looking for a job if I were unfortunate enough to have to work there.

Ocotillo
07-29-2008, 07:45 PM
You haven't been in a while, either, eh? There's no smoking in SA restaurants or bars.

Has been awhile but it was last time I was there. You can't smoke in San Antonio bars anymore? I haven't been in a club in about 8 years.

ChumpDumper
07-29-2008, 09:11 PM
The one in near south Austin closed up about a month ago. Indirectly benefitted me.

PakiDan
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
The Monte Christo was my demise.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
well they had a good run i guess. i never cared for the place. the food was lucky to be called that, but they had good beer specials.

mrsmaalox
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I liked Bennigans because they serve diet Pepsi; tonight I had a diet Coke for the first time in years and it pretty much tasted like poison.
MMmmmm Southwest Eggrolls :toast

I. Hustle
07-29-2008, 10:09 PM
quarter beer night

Thunder Dan
07-29-2008, 11:22 PM
The Monte Christo was my demise.

That thing always looked so good on the menu but after you eat it you feel like you just want to lay down and die. I think it took me ordering that thing 3 or 4 times before I realized that a giant turkey melt with a elephant ear as bread wasn't any good. But still, even though I know I hated it, everytime I would see it it always sounded so good. I think everyone I talk to feels the same way

In other news, Butters thinks about suicide

http://www.vivalagraham.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/butters.jpg

Dex
07-29-2008, 11:28 PM
My brother and his girl served at Bennigan's for a while, so we got to go to one of their grand opening's for a free tasting (the day they let all the cooks train and try out the dishes for the first time, they pretty much just give out free meals to employees and family of).

I used to really love their baked patato soup and the Wheelhouse Burger, which was the hamburger with the fried cheese wheel. Heart attack on a bun, but fucking delicious. Unfortunately, they pulled it from the menu, and even the soup doesn't seem to strike a chord anymore.

Sucks, but there will always be another Chili's / Chatchkie's / Shennanigans :toast

PeterBurns
07-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Thunder Dan....Spot On.

I remember being able to eat an Entire Monte Cristo.
Last time I ordered it, I got 1/4 way through it and had to lay down for a nap

Dex
07-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Oh, as for my Monte Cristo story...

I went to Dallas one time to bowl in a tournament and ended up eatin Bennigan's the night before. I had eaten the Monte Cristo before, but still ordered it against my better judgement. I finished off just over a fourth of the thing (one slice and maybe a few bites of another), then ended up getting so sick the next day that I barely made it through my tournament and ended up going straight back to the hotel and sleeping it off. Needless to say, I didn't bowl too great, and I haven't ordered a Monte Cristo since.

The sad thing is, Im not even sure if I got food poisoning, or if the thing was just TOO full of greasy, meaty, cheesy goodness. :dizzy

Dex
07-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Thunder Dan....Spot On.

I remember being able to eat an Entire Monte Cristo.
Last time I ordered it, I got 1/4 way through it and had to lay down for a nap

Holy shit, you mean someone has polished off a whole one of those and lived to tell about it?

leemajors
07-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Holy shit, you mean someone has polished off a whole one of those and lived to tell about it?

umm, yes.

Dex
07-30-2008, 01:37 AM
I guess if I ask a stupid question, I can expect a stupid answer.

Either way, I'm sorry, but those 4 slices can't be meant to be consumed by one person in one sitting. Especially not with a full side of fries and whatever appetizers might come before it.

Kudos to anyone who can finish it, especially without a major stomachache. But they might wanna keep an eye on the their cholesterol level, or at least check out the Gallbladder Thread. :lol

leemajors
07-30-2008, 07:27 AM
I guess if I ask a stupid question, I can expect a stupid answer.

Either way, I'm sorry, but those 4 slices can't be meant to be consumed by one person in one sitting. Especially not with a full side of fries and whatever appetizers might come before it.

Kudos to anyone who can finish it, especially without a major stomachache. But they might wanna keep an eye on the their cholesterol level, or at least check out the Gallbladder Thread. :lol

i ate one several times, but i was a lot younger.

manufor3
07-30-2008, 07:34 AM
not bennigan's!

boutons_
07-30-2008, 07:41 AM
SA losing only 1 Starbuck's, but there's like 3 more within a 1/4 mile! :lol

phyzik
07-30-2008, 08:52 AM

You must not have been in a bar recently (or ever)..

You can still smoke in bars in San Antonio. Some resturaunts have designated, enclosed, areas that you can smoke in.

Soul_Patch
07-30-2008, 10:36 AM
I love the Turkey O'Toole...bout the onything i ever order there. That and the Kilkenny chicken Salad.

porksword
07-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Good lord, I thought I was the only one that felt after polishing off a Monte, my stomach felt like it was a bout to explode and take my heart with it. That thing was a monster, but too good to pass up.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I wonder if the locations out here will close. I have a high school friend who bartends there who has worked there for 22 years...since he was a junior in high school. He's finally going to have to actually go out and do what the rest of my class had to do after we graduated...find a real job! Poor guy!! :lol

J.T.
07-30-2008, 11:21 AM

That's why I prefer life in San Marcos...you can smoke in the doctor's office while being tested for lung cancer.

radicaldreamer
07-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Black folks everywhere rejoice.

http://www.complaints.com/july2001/complaintoftheday.july14.9.htm