PDA

View Full Version : Get your wisdom teeth out young!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2008, 07:25 AM
To any of you who have impacted wisdom teeth that have started to emerge, get them out ASAP, trust me on this. I left it until 33 and paid a nasty price.

I just spent a week in a morbid delirium of hellacious, 24-hour a day migraine-level pain crossed with mostly useless over-the-counter and prescription painkillers which made me feel sick and ghost-like. The worst was one called tramadol, which I took too much of and ended up with nausea, hot and cold sweats, hallucinations, and nightmares within nightmares within nightmares within nightmares - I think it took 10 levels of nightmare before I finally awoke in a cold sweat with the ubiquitous splitting head. In terms of temporary physical trauma, it's been pretty horrific.

Got the teeth out today though, and I finally feel human again... haven't eaten in 6 days (have lost 4kgs I really didn't need to lose! :lol) and can't wait to finally chew something again!

BTW, this is NOT a sympathy-seeking thread - there are plenty of people around here with far worse medical traumas than this - but it is a cautionary tale. Impacted wisdom teeth left too long = tooth nerve pain, which is as bad as migraine pain but doesn't let up (which I would say is up there with the worst "everyday" pain you can feel... and anyone who has migraines knows what I mean.).

Wisdom teeth owners, you have been warned! Dispel those nasty little nerve leeches ASAP.

marini martini
07-30-2008, 08:10 AM
WTF? Happened to good old fashioned percodan?????

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Doctors here won't dole out percodan/vicodin/anything strong for less than an amputation, or so it seems. They are all happy t ogive you panadeine forte (paracetamol + codeine) and assume that's enough to deal with most common ailments... ha! to that I say! PF doesn't even touch nerve pain - wisdom teeth laugh in PF's face and then piss on its remains. PF didn't do shit. Stay away from tramadol though - whatever that shit is, it is NASTY.

Having had the teeth out I feel like a brand new man - sure, there's a bit of pain, but it's NOTHING compared to what I was dealing with... worst I have ever felt. That cedar fever/bronchitis/coughing blood episode I had in SA last year was up there though - swallowing was like sticking an ice pick in my throat!

Anyway, here's to speedy recoveries, and next week a few schooners, a big steak and some nice shiraz. :toast

peewee's lovechild
07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Dude, I used to get all the vicoden and percocet I wanted. I used to live minutes from Mexico and it was cheap as hell.

Ahhhhhhhh, I miss the Mexican border.

marini martini
07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
That's right, up and attem' Ruff:toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Aussie doctors are tightarses.

This is EXACTLY what I had:

Atypical (trigeminal) neuralgia

Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia (ATN) is a rare form of neuralgia and may also be the most misdiagnosed form. The symptoms can be mistaken for migraines, dental problems such as TMJ, musculoskeletal issues, and hypochondriasis. ATN can have a wide range of symptoms and the pain can fluctuate in intensity from mild aching to a crushing or burning sensation, and also to the extreme pain experienced with the more common trigeminal neuralgia. ATN pain can be described as heavy, aching, and burning. Sufferers have a constant migraine-like headache and experience pain in all three trigeminal nerve branches. This includes aching teeth, ear aches, feeling of fullness in sinuses, cheek pain, pain in forehead and temples, jaw pain, pain around eyes, and occasional electric shock-like stabs. Unlike typical neuralgia, this form can also cause pain in the back of the scalp and neck. Pain tends to worsen with talking, facial expressions, chewing, and certain sensations such as a cool breeze. Vascular compression of the trigeminal nerve, infections of the teeth or sinuses, physical trauma, or past viral infections are possible causes of ATN.

Run away! :lol

mrsmaalox
07-30-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm happy for you getting that taken care of! I had the same thing in my early 20's and it was miserable; it would flare up at the most inconvenient times----like at my wedding!! While everyone danced and partied the night away, I spent most of the time upstairs in bed alone crying; an uncanny foretelling of the years to come!! :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm happy for you getting that taken care of! I had the same thing in my early 20's and it was miserable; it would flare up at the most inconvenient times----like at my wedding!! While everyone danced and partied the night away, I spent most of the time upstairs in bed alone crying; an uncanny foretelling of the years to come!! :lol

:lmao

People told me the post-op recovery pain would be bad, but they surely have never been through ATN. This pain is a dawdle.

Bye for now. :D

1Parker1
07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
:lol I'm in my 20's and got all four taken out earlier this year...I lost 10 pounds and it was the worst experience of my life. I was in pain for a whole week, couldn't take the Percocet because it upset my stomach, and my face was so bloated and bruised I couldn't bare to look in the mirror for days :(

ShoogarBear
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I didn't get mine taken out until I was in my 30s and 40s. It was a piece of cake, and never needed anything stronger than Motrin.

marini martini
07-30-2008, 10:57 PM
I didn't get mine taken out until I was in my 30s and 40s. It was a piece of cake, and never needed anything stronger than Motrin.

30's AND 40's? WTF! Did you have one removed every 5 years???????:rollin

ShoogarBear
07-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Pretty much. They took one out because it was impacted, but they thought the others were going to be too much of a hassle.

Then when I needed a root canal and crown, they decided that two other had to come out before they would do those.

I still have one left. :lol

marini martini
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Well good luck with the one that's left! Hope it's a downer:toast

SequSpur
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Jim?

MagnusKrauss
07-30-2008, 11:41 PM
You were lucky. Mine were impacted wisdom teeth. both of my lower wisdom teeth grew out of the side of my jaw, effectively shattering the teeth next to it while it grew.

but, yeah, you should get those fuckers out while you're young.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Them being impacted is your whole problem. Mine were erupted, and that was a piece of cake (got them taken out earlier this year). Had a bloody mouth for one day, all the sutures fell out within a week, and I have 3/4 a bottle of percocet laying around in case I really hurt myself :lol

lebomb
07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
I had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth taken out at 24yrs old.......Im pretty sure I died and came back to life during this time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
:lol I'm in my 20's and got all four taken out earlier this year...I lost 10 pounds and it was the worst experience of my life. I was in pain for a whole week, couldn't take the Percocet because it upset my stomach, and my face was so bloated and bruised I couldn't bare to look in the mirror for days :(

Sounds like your dental surgeon wasn't much chop. I've got very mild bruising and almost no pain... although I think I got my share of pain in the week pre-op!

You were lucky. Mine were impacted wisdom teeth. both of my lower wisdom teeth grew out of the side of my jaw, effectively shattering the teeth next to it while it grew.

but, yeah, you should get those fuckers out while you're young.

Holy shit! So you lost 2 molars as well?

Them being impacted is your whole problem. Mine were erupted, and that was a piece of cake (got them taken out earlier this year). Had a bloody mouth for one day, all the sutures fell out within a week, and I have 3/4 a bottle of percocet laying around in case I really hurt myself :lol

Now THAT'S the way to do it! Wish I was given percocet... :depressed

I had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth taken out at 24yrs old.......Im pretty sure I died and came back to life during this time.

Yeah, feels like that, huh? I had my first meal in almost a week tonight and it was like eating again for the first time... mashed potato and gravy, avocado and vinagrette, heaven! :lol

For the record, I had one nastily impacted bugger and 3 that came out straight, but I had them out anyway. The surgeons were cool and I was very impressed by the speed and skill they displayed... until I lost consciousness. My impacted bastard was so infected, and that gum was so bloated with pus, that they weren't sure they would be able to do more than drain the pus and send me home with antibiotics. Thus, I was kept awake for the first 10 minutes and saw all this cool stuff they did to me, then I heard the words "yup, got the chocks in (to hold my jaw open), we're going ahead..." and then I was GONE. Anesthesia is amazing - twas my first general.

BTW, when researching painkillers I discovered that most of them are simply chemicals that convert to morphine in the liver to a greater (eg. oxycodone) or lesser (eg. codeine) extent. Didn't know that. Interesting.

leemajors
07-31-2008, 09:33 AM

mine were out the day my dad saw they broke the skin - 16, and his buddy did it with local and gave me motrin. walked out, drove home and walked 18 holes that afternoon!

BigBeezie
07-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Be sure to gargle with warm salt water too. You don't want a dry socket or anything of that nature.

duncan228
07-31-2008, 10:58 AM
I had mine out at 19 without any problems before the surgery. It was after that got me. I was on an empty stomach because of the anesthetic, then they gave me pain pills when I woke up. I was queasy by the time I got home. I couldn't eat anything to settle my stomach, I laid there nauseous and miserable. My mom came to check on me and asked if she could do anything for me. She was quite shocked by my answer. I told her where my pot and pipe were, asked her to get them for me. She watched wide eyed as I took a couple of hits. The nausea was instantly gone. I was up and eating mushy food soon after. We never talked about it. :lol

Leetonidas
07-31-2008, 11:06 AM
When I get them out I will be sure to smoke some Crystal Meth right after. That way, I'll feel no pain, time will go by faster, and I'll feel really good.

Leetonidas
07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
I had mine out at 19 without any problems before the surgery. It was after that got me. I was on an empty stomach because of the anesthetic, then they gave me pain pills when I woke up. I was queasy by the time I got home. I couldn't eat anything to settle my stomach, I laid there nauseous and miserable. My mom came to check on me and asked if she could do anything for me. She was quite shocked by my answer. I told her where my pot and pipe were, asked her to get them for me. She watched wide eyed as I took a couple of hits. The nausea was instantly gone. I was up and eating mushy food soon after. We never talked about it. :lol

:wow

Okay, you're officially awesome.

duncan228
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
:wow

Okay, you're officially awesome.

Thanks. I've had my moments. :smokin

thispego
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
mmmm, 19 year old duncan228

This Post Is Worthless Without Pics

duncan228
07-31-2008, 11:39 AM

:lol

ShoogarBear
07-31-2008, 08:34 PM

:lmao

Man, there have been some epic posts today.

Alice_LJ
07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Nice to find the great thread..
keep posting

ShoogarBear
07-31-2008, 08:39 PM

Maybe we can get her son to dig up some.

J.T.
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
I would get my wisdom teeth removed but there's a good chance I'd get addicted to the pain relievers my dentist will give me for the procedure, and then yous guys will tell me I need to throw him under the bus if he's going to put me in situations that will trigger addictive behavior.

2Blonde
07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I would get my wisdom teeth removed but there's a good chance I'd get addicted to the pain relievers my dentist will give me for the procedure, and then yous guys will tell me I need to throw him under the bus if he's going to put me in situations that will trigger addictive behavior.
Good Call:toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Be sure to gargle with warm salt water too. You don't want a dry socket or anything of that nature.

Yeah, gotta let the blood clots form so you get the proper recovery. I've followed all post-op advice and everything is smooth as silk. :)

228 - nice story. :lol

JT - that presents an interesting conundrum. If you were in the kind of pain I was in you'd have to have them out or you'd top yourself, but basically every pain medication relies on morphine precursors, so what do you do? I guess you get them out, take a little codeine, recover, then lock yourself in a room until the shivers subside?

Sunshine
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Tramadol rocks.

remingtonbo2001
08-01-2008, 11:13 AM
All four of my wisdom teeth grew in straight.

Actually, it caused the gap within my two front teeth to close.

Anyways, hopefully they stay straight. I would prefer to leave them in.

ashbeeigh
08-01-2008, 02:59 PM
ahahaha. suckers. I have no wisdom teeth. cue "widom" jokes.

VaSpursFan
08-02-2008, 07:24 PM

greatest post ever:lmao:lmao:lmao

Wild Cobra
08-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Why should someone have perfectly good teeth pulled?

I have all my teeth. I have a long enough jaw, there is room for another set should nature throw me a curveball.

Impacted? Yes. That's something that should have been addressed as soon as it was know. Before they started to grow into other teeth.

duncan228
08-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Maybe we can get her son to dig up some.

Not gonna happen. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-02-2008, 08:03 PM

:lmao Just wow.

whottt
08-03-2008, 04:35 AM
What is the stuff they give you when they put you under to take out your wisdom teeth? I think it's like Sodium Penathol or something...I don't know what it is but it is strooooong stuff.

Yeah you needed Percodan Ruff. That makes all the pain go away.

JT...I got Percodan when I got mine taken out and I was instantly addicted to that stuff. Like after one pill. I ate my whole bottle, which was supposed to last a week, in about 2 days. My Doc just kinda laughed when I went back asking for more. Gave me some crap instead that wasn't near as good. It is definitely addictive stuff.

sabar
08-03-2008, 05:27 AM
What is all this talk about Percocet?

I broke my left wrist and right elbow and got prescribed Percocet. That didn't do anything for the pain. I only used one pill. Then I used one later when I had a headache and there wasn't any tylonol, barely did the job.

I think they gave me a placebo. I still have 30-something of the pills.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Tramadol rocks.

Really? It did nothing for my pain and gave me horrible nightmares... different body chemistry, I guess.

What is the stuff they give you when they put you under to take out your wisdom teeth? I think it's like Sodium Penathol or something...I don't know what it is but it is strooooong stuff.

Yeah you needed Percodan Ruff. That makes all the pain go away.

JT...I got Percodan when I got mine taken out and I was instantly addicted to that stuff. Like after one pill. I ate my whole bottle, which was supposed to last a week, in about 2 days. My Doc just kinda laughed when I went back asking for more. Gave me some crap instead that wasn't near as good. It is definitely addictive stuff.

Sodium pentathol is truth serum, you mean general anesthetic? There are a bunch of different ones used for different purposes, and yeah, very strong stuff. Cool though. :)

As for percodan, that's just oxycodone and aspirin (percocet is oxycodone and paracetamol/acetaminophen). The oxycodone is metabolised in your liver into oxymorphone, which is 6-8 times more powerful than morphine. Addictive shit, no wonder you wanted more! :lol

I'm fine now, it was pre-op when the pain was unbelievable. Post-op is a dawdle.

whottt
08-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Sodium pentathol is truth serum, you mean general anesthetic?

Yeah...I know Sodium Pentathol is truth serum, that's why I am asking if anyone has ever heard of them using it as an anasthetic?

Because whatever they used on me didn't knock me totally unconscious, I remember waking up a couple of times during that ordeal. And they were cutting out all 4 of my wisdom teeth and they were doing oral surgery on one of my gums.

There are a bunch of different ones used for different purposes, and yeah, very strong stuff. Cool though. :)

I literally have no idea what they used but I think I heard them mention sodium pentathol when they were administering it to me, and I think I was in a semiconcsious state to where they could ask me to keep my mouth open or stuff like that.

I don't really know what it was but whatever it was I wasn't completely knocked out,at least not the entire time...and still felt no pain when they were cutting these things out of my mouth and cutting into my gums.

whottt
08-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Looks like they do use it as anasthetic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiopental

Uses

[edit] Anesthesia
Thiopental is an ultra-short-acting barbiturate and is most commonly used in the induction phase of general anesthesia. Following intravenous injection the drug rapidly reaches the brain and causes unconsciousness within 30–45 seconds. At one minute, the drug attains a peak concentration of about 60% of the total dose in the brain. Thereafter, the drug distributes to the rest of the body and in about 5–10 minutes the concentration is low enough in the brain such that consciousness returns.

A normal dose of thiopental (usually 4-6 mg/kg) given to a pregnant woman for operative delivery (caesarian section) rapidly makes her unconscious, but the baby in her uterus remains conscious. However, larger or repeated doses can depress the baby.

Thiopental is not used to maintain anesthesia in surgical procedures because, in infusion, it displays zero-order elimination kinetics, leading to a long period before consciousness is regained. Instead, anesthesia is usually maintained with an inhaled anesthetic (gas) agent. Inhaled anesthetics are eliminated relatively quickly, so that stopping the inhaled anesthetic will allow rapid return of consciousness. Thiopental would have to be given in large amounts to maintain an anesthetic plane, and because of its 11.5–26 hour half-life, consciousness would take a long time to return.[5]

In veterinary medicine, thiopental is also used to induce anesthesia in animals. Since thiopental is redistributed to fat, certain breeds of dogs, primarily the sight hounds can have prolonged recoveries from thiopental due to their lack of body fat and lean body mass. Thiopental is always administered intravenously, as it can be fairly irritating; severe tissue necrosis and sloughing can occur if it is injected incorrectly into the tissue around a vein.

I do remember whatever they gave me started out with an IV...so I'm thinking that was at least a preliminary part of the anesthesia.

Truth Serum...who knew?

duncan228
08-03-2008, 01:35 PM
A common drug used going into surgery, especially if you only need to be out a short time, is versed. They start you with versed and then they give you whatever anesthetic they're using.

Versed is a sedative, anxiety, and anesthesia medication that is used before or during surgeries and medical procedures. This prescription medication works to reduce anxiety, cause sleepiness, relax the muscles, and impair short-term memory by enhancing the effects of a certain brain chemical. Versed comes in the form of an injection or a syrup and is very fast acting.

http://sleep.emedtv.com/versed/versed.html

Shaolin-Style
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
They put me under when they did mine, I was 16. They also got a small tumor out of my cheeks. They gave me vicodin but I didn't want to take it since I'm pretty strict about not using any drugs.

I remember spitting out blood for a few days and keeping some cotton balls on my cheeks. Bloodtastic.

sa_butta
08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Ive been in sever pain for a few days now and I went the oral surgeon to have a consultation. I need to have 3 wisdom teeth removed one of which is giving me alot of pain. Dr. was very cool, he wrote me a prescription for vicodin and Amoxicilin. With a 1 refill of the Vicodin if I need it. My appointment is next Thursday and it cant come soon enough. BTW I am 31. One of the wisdom teeth I have is actually coming in at an angle right into a tooth that I had a root canal and crown on. While I am nervous about the procedure and minor risks, I need to get this done.

angel_luv
08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
ahahaha. suckers. I have no wisdom teeth. cue "widom" jokes.

I am missing two.

I pray I get to keep all my teeth.

leemajors
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Ive been in sever pain for a few days now and I went the oral surgeon to have a consultation. I need to have 3 wisdom teeth removed one of which is giving me alot of pain. Dr. was very cool, he wrote me a prescription for vicodin and Amoxicilin. With a 1 refill of the Vicodin if I need it. My appointment is next Thursday and it cant come soon enough. BTW I am 31. One of the wisdom teeth I have is actually coming in at an angle right into a tooth that I had a root canal and crown on. While I am nervous about the procedure and minor risks, I need to get this done.

was something infected? amoxicillin is an antibiotic...

travis2
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Looks like they do use it as anasthetic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiopental

I do remember whatever they gave me started out with an IV...so I'm thinking that was at least a preliminary part of the anesthesia.

Truth Serum...who knew?

I had my wisdom teeth removed a long time ago (~25 years). They gave me pentathol too. Nasty stuff...one minute I'm looking at the ceiling...then suddenly I am sitting up and the oral surgeon is pulling the last stitch tight. No dreams, no intervening time, just bang-bang.

Versed hit me pretty much the same way, but was less jolting when I came out of it...and I didn't feel as unsteady on my feet either.

travis2
08-13-2008, 01:19 PM

If you need 3 removed, you may as well go after them all.

travis2
08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Really? It did nothing for my pain and gave me horrible nightmares... different body chemistry, I guess.

Sodium pentathol is truth serum, you mean general anesthetic? There are a bunch of different ones used for different purposes, and yeah, very strong stuff. Cool though. :)

As for percodan, that's just oxycodone and aspirin (percocet is oxycodone and paracetamol/acetaminophen). The oxycodone is metabolised in your liver into oxymorphone, which is 6-8 times more powerful than morphine. Addictive shit, no wonder you wanted more! :lol

I'm fine now, it was pre-op when the pain was unbelievable. Post-op is a dawdle.

Percocet also goes by the name Tylox. Had that prescribed once when I got bitten by a black widow. I think I took one...it spun me up pretty badly. After that I decided I could handle the pain better than I could handle the dizziness.

mrsmaalox
08-13-2008, 02:39 PM
I had my wisdom teeth removed a long time ago (~25 years). They gave me pentathol too. Nasty stuff...one minute I'm looking at the ceiling...then suddenly I am sitting up and the oral surgeon is pulling the last stitch tight. No dreams, no intervening time, just bang-bang.

Versed hit me pretty much the same way, but was less jolting when I came out of it...and I didn't feel as unsteady on my feet either.

Versed is an excellent drug; I once had a patient tell me he dreamed of beautiful flowers the whole time my colleagues and I stuck sharp things into his heart!! :D The cool thing about Versed is the amnesiac effect it has.

ashbeeigh
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
I am missing two.

I pray I get to keep all my teeth.

Teeth are good to have! Everyone should have them! :lol

I think shortly after i posted this I felt a missing tooth start to come in (not a wisdom tooth...just some random one I've always been missing). Talk about a strange coincident.

sa_butta
08-13-2008, 04:13 PM
was something infected? amoxicillin is an antibiotic...
yes, that is what is causing the pain...the infection.

sa_butta
08-13-2008, 04:14 PM
If you need 3 removed, you may as well go after them all.
only 3 showed up in the x-ray, the 4th was not present at all.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-14-2008, 03:34 AM

I feel your pain... hope the vicodin is working.

As for the risks, they are minor, and you should be fine.

All the best. :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-14-2008, 03:35 AM
Versed is an excellent drug; I once had a patient tell me he dreamed of beautiful flowers the whole time my colleagues and I stuck sharp things into his heart!! :D The cool thing about Versed is the amnesiac effect it has.

You a theatre nurse, mrsmallox?

ehz33satx
08-14-2008, 04:32 PM

No need for pics. To some it all up, he is 27 now. He has finally moved up and out of his mom's house, now living with his grandma and settled in nicely!

MagnusKrauss
08-14-2008, 09:28 PM
i remember the time when the neighborhood dentists were pulling out my second wisdom tooth. apparently it was a little beyond their expertise (they were aesthetic dentists). but they already had drilled into the tooth to try and shatter it to make pulling it easier. i had to endure 3 hours of that shit while the anesthetic wore off. to top it off, they couldn't give me more anesthetic as i already had the limit for the day (5 injections).
to this i curse those two fuckers for what they did. my mom had to find a dental surgeon after we went home and got the procedure done right (with spinal anesthetic). yippeeee.

after a few more dentists, we finally found one who was very good. turns out those two quacks didn't do the anesthetic injections right (all i needed was 2!) my current dentist told me that the reason i needed all thos injections were because the two fuckers kept missing the right vein in my jaw. shit.

eh. and for the nth time, duncan228 is a *female*

dirk4mvp
08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
No need for pics. To some it all up, he is 27 now. He has finally moved up and out of his mom's house, now living with his grandma and settled in nicely!

lol

mrsmaalox
08-15-2008, 12:24 AM
You a theatre nurse, mrsmallox?

Critical Care/Trauma :)

medstudent
08-15-2008, 01:02 AM
CCU nurses or SICU nurses are always the hottest

dirk4mvp
08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
where do u go to school medstudent?

Sense
08-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Dude, I used to get all the vicoden and percocet I wanted. I used to live minutes from Mexico and it was cheap as hell.

Ahhhhhhhh, I miss the Mexican border.

I have to say peewee...

I've recently fallen in love with Shiner...