PDA

View Full Version : A Kinder, Gentler Payton

duncan228
07-30-2008, 12:28 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jul/30/kinder-gentler-payton/

A kinder, gentler Payton
Retiring Las Vegan can’t curb enthusiasm about Team USA
By Rob Miech

Gary Payton just returned from a tour of Wekusong Indoor Stadium in China and raved about the basketball venue for the Olympics and the cleanliness of Beijing.

He noted that the shower heads in the locker rooms weren’t designed for 5-foot-11 guards, as they are in Europe. Architect David Manica, who designed the Toyota Center in Houston, created Wekusong.

“It’s beautiful,” Payton said. “Practice courts are underneath. It’s going to be great.”

Payton was part of a promotional effort by the NBA. He plans to return Aug. 23 with agent Aaron Goodwin, who represents center Dwight Howard, to watch the United States win gold the next day.

“They’ll be there,” Payton said. “If they play the way they’ve been playing, they’ll be fine.”

Payton has never hidden, or even softened, his opinion, so it’s surprising the 12-year Las Vegas resident has been so muted about retirement.

A 17-year NBA veteran and nine-time All-Star nicknamed “The Glove” for his defensive prowess, Payton did not play in 2007-08. Rumors floated that he hoped to catch on somewhere for a playoff run.

Not so, he said a day after turning 40 at a Team USA practice session at Valley High. He hasn’t thought about shooting a basketball or watching a game on TV.

However, he was keeping an eye on the SuperSonics and Seattle. He did not want to retire and have his No. 20 jersey hoisted to the KeyArena rafters, only to see the team move to Oklahoma City.

Two weeks ago, a lawsuit was settled that paves the way for the team to begin playing in Oklahoma this season after 41 years in Seattle.

Payton will sign his retirement papers and soon make an official announcement to become eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2013.

All that sound and fury from one of the most vociferous players in NBA history, and he retires in a whisper?

Say it ain’t so, Glove.

“I’ll take my time,” Payton said. “No whoops and hollers.”

Payton grew up on 41st Street in the tough West Oakland projects and brought that attitude with him to the NBA.

He never backed down from anyone. He was always quick with a bark.

At halftime during a playoff game, Payton’s feud with teammate Ricky Pierce nearly exploded into a gunfight. Coach George Karl was told that both had guns in their bags.

When he was an assistant to Karl, former UNLV coach Tim Grgurich broke up many heated situations.

“It’s like he’s taking me on, and I’m ready to get after him,” Karl told The New York Times about one situation after a playoff defeat. “Sam Perkins is ready to get after him, and ‘Gurg’ is holding everybody back. It’s a war zone.

“It’s just a different type of mentality. Players and coaches don’t do this. I’ve fought players before, but those were guys that should be fought — not your best player.”

That volatility waned in his later years, and Payton is considered a legendary player because of his two-way effectiveness and durability. He missed only 25games in his career, and many of those were due to suspension or a coach’s decision.

Payton and his wife, Monique, have long been committed to a variety of charitable endeavors through his foundation.

Since he last played a professional basketball game, he took daughter Raquel to school at St. John’s, where Payton almost played. But longtime coach Lou Carnesecca rescinded his offer, and Payton starred at Oregon State.

He also watched his son, Gary Payton Jr., play freshman basketball at Spring Valley High.

“He’s doing pretty well,” Senior said. “I have to get him to play a little more defense, though.”

He also went to Cupcake Day at 10-year-old Julian’s elementary school.

“It’s been real nice,” Payton said. “I took seven months off.”

He recently started working for “The Best Damn Sports Show Period” on Fox Sports Net, and he says ESPN is close to signing him to his own show. He’s thinking about becoming an agent.

During his weekend birthday celebration, the close friends he’s had since his days at Skyline High in Oakland visited. They partied. They played pool.

Grgurich recommended that he buy property in Las Vegas, and Payton landed in Summerlin. In 2001, he bought a 7,483-square-foot stucco home, with six bedrooms, seven bathrooms and four fireplaces, for $2.1 million near Spring Valley High.

“He told me, before it all happened, that it’s going to be big in Vegas,” Payton said of Grgurich. “Pretty smart move.”

The winner of two Olympic gold medals predicted this U.S. team will do the same in Beijing, because of Kobe Bryant and Jason Kidd.

“They give that team a little more leadership and fire,” Payton said. “You have a go-to guy who can score the basketball and you have a guy who can run the point and get it to the right people.

“And Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, they want redemption. Now, they know how to play. I think they’ll be ready to get revenge.”

Gary Payton File

Height: 6 feet 4 inches
Weight: 190 pounds
Hometown: Oakland, Calif.
Residence: Las Vegas
Family: Wife, Monique; daughter, Raquel; sons Gary Jr. and Julian
Nickname: The Glove
Hobby: Billiards
College: Oregon State

NBA: Selected second in the 1990 draft by Seattle; finished among the top six in MVP voting six times; won defensive player of the year honors in 1996 and was named to the All-Defensive first team nine times; named an All-Star nine times; is third in career steals with 2,445, seventh in assists with 8,966, eighth in games with 1,335 and 27th in points with 21,813; won his lone NBA title with Miami in 2006.

Is Gary Payton Bound for the Hall of Fame?

Apparently he is, according to the thorough Internet site Basketball-Reference.com, which gauges key factors that determine Basketball Hall of Fame induction to show who should be in the hoops shrine.

It weighs points, rebounds and assists per game, All-Star and MVP selections, championships and height, which actually counts against the players.

Payton, the Las Vegas resident and 17-year NBA veteran who will file official retirement papers soon, is rated 60th on the chart. He will be eligible for the Hall in 2013.

Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hall of Fame members, are first and second. Michael Jordan, who is eligible this year, is third. Players must be out of the game five years to be considered, and Jordan last played in 2002-03.

That was also David Robinson’s last season. “The Admiral” is 22nd on the Basketball-Reference.com list. Look for both to receive plenty of votes, maybe even induction notices, the next time ballots are cast.

Karl Malone (11th on the chart) and Scottie Pippen (37th) both retired after the 2003-04 season and will be Hall-eligible next year.

Active players rated above Payton likely headed to the Hall are Shaquille O’Neal (ninth), Tim Duncan (10th), Kobe Bryant (14th), Allen Iverson (16th), Kevin Garnett (19th), Dirk Nowitzki (31st), Steve Nash (32nd), Vince Carter (51st), Paul Pierce (52nd) and Ray Allen (57th).

Findog
07-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Interesting that so many people feel Jason Kidd is the second-most important player behind Kobe. I guess his game is more FIBA-compatible at this point, because he did not look good in Dallas.

lefty
07-30-2008, 01:35 PM
At halftime during a playoff game, Payton’s feud with teammate Ricky Pierce nearly exploded into a gunfight. Coach George Karl was told that both had guns in their bags.

WTF

SenorSpur
07-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't there should be any question about Payton's worthiness as a HOFer.

jacobdrj
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
I have no idea why he is considered a HOFer...

I have been watching the NBA since the 1996 NBA Finals, and were it not for some Best Damn commercials, and his stint with the Lakers, I never would have heard of the guy.

(The 1996 NBA Finals consisted of the Chicago Bulls and the Seattle Supersonics, which, apparently had a guy on the roster named Gary Payton, that didn't seem to do a whole lot... particularly in the shadow of Shawn Kemp, Detlef Schrempf, and Sam Perkins).

jack sommerset
07-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Payton is no HOF

Findog
07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
:lol at those dogging his HOF credentials

IronMexican
07-30-2008, 06:00 PM
If Payton doesn't make it to the HOF there are only 2 other PG's that ever make it.