PDA

View Full Version : Yao Ming on the Artest Trade

1Parker1
07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
The Houston Chronicle's Fran Blinebury is in China with Yao Ming, and has the following Ron Artest reaction, laced with trepidation, from Yao:

"For some reason, I like (Artest)," Yao said. "Because in the games we play against him, I hate him.

"When I text messaged with Luis (Scola), we talked about team chemistry. That's only what worries us.

"We worry about the new attitude to the team. We are adding talent to the team and we need that, but building team chemistry is important. This is not bad. I don't mean he is not welcome to Houston. But a new player always needs some time.

"Also, he was the biggest part of a team in Sacramento. He was a star player. We need more chemistry and more communication.

"There's worry. Obviously, yes. We will think about it, of course. Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands.

"I haven't talked to Ron yet, so it's hard to say. I have to find a way to talk to him and see what we can do as a basketball team. He has a history. But we know he is a physical player. He is a good player. He really can help us. And Ron is on a contract year, too.

"I think Ron Artest is a good player if coach (Rick) Adelman can control the team well."

:lmao

JamStone
07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
How do you say "fucking weirdo" in Chinese?

ThunderStix®
07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
The Houston Chronicle's Fran Blinebury is in China with Yao Ming, and has the following Ron Artest reaction, laced with trepidation, from Yao:

"For some reason, I like (Artest)," Yao said. "Because in the games we play against him, I hate him.

"When I text messaged with Luis (Scola), we talked about team chemistry. That's only what worries us.

"We worry about the new attitude to the team. We are adding talent to the team and we need that, but building team chemistry is important. This is not bad. I don't mean he is not welcome to Houston. But a new player always needs some time.

"Also, he was the biggest part of a team in Sacramento. He was a star player. We need more chemistry and more communication.

"There's worry. Obviously, yes. We will think about it, of course. Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands.

"I haven't talked to Ron yet, so it's hard to say. I have to find a way to talk to him and see what we can do as a basketball team. He has a history. But we know he is a physical player. He is a good player. He really can help us. And Ron is on a contract year, too.

"I think Ron Artest is a good player if coach (Rick) Adelman can control the team well."

Owned. :lol

xtremesteven33
07-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Yao Ming fears Artest

Ronaldo McDonald
07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I like Yao. In this interview he speaks his mind, letting artest know he better not get out of hand, or else he'll go yao on him.

ThunderStix®
07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Yao Ming fears Artest

Yao also fears Nate Robinson.

http://ak.static.dailymotion.com/dyn/preview/160x120/3582464.jpg

Sorry for the low quality.

angelbelow
07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
hahahaha

rAm
07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
If Yao ming is being so vocal this early on, than this does not bode well for the rockets.

Guajalote
07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
How do you say "fucking weirdo" in Chinese? :lmao

Talk about a vote of confidence, Yao hopes Artest doesn't:

1. Do more things to make him hate Artest.
2. Ruin team chemistry.
3. Bring a poor attitude to the team.
4. Take too long to adjust.
5. Do his own thing.
6. Run into the stands and fight fans.
7. Bring his bad history to the team.
8. Refuse to be coached.

Yao is absolutely thrilled about this addition. :downspin:

nil.ball
07-30-2008, 03:50 PM

Talk about a vote of confidence, Yao hopes Artest doesn't:

1. Do more things to make him hate Artest.
2. Ruin team chemistry.
3. Bring a poor attitude to the team.
4. Take too long to adjust.
5. Do his own thing.
6. Run into the stands and fight fans.
7. Bring his bad history to the team.
8. Refuse to be coached.

Yao is absolutely thrilled about this addition. :downspin:

Well he's not allowed to curse, or at least it won't be translated, or printed anyway. Maybe he meant to say, "shit-phuck, who? Artest? Mofo if this shit ever goes down, we be in for it this year fo realz bro" in chinese.

Kriz-Maxima
07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I love it. Got to give it to Yao, the man is honest.

dickface
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
While we still have no idea how Yao really feels, we now know that high ranking Chinese officials fucking hate Ron Artest.

mavs>spurs2
07-30-2008, 04:38 PM
While we still have no idea how Yao really feels, we now know that high ranking Chinese officials fucking hate Ron Artest.

jack sommerset
07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Yao Ming fears Artest

Yao is a 7 foot Chinese communist. He would slice Artest into a 100 pieces.

Brutalis
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
So contradicting, he is. Speaking of chemistry he wants, when really most of what he said creates bad chemistry..

JamStone
07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
If Yao ming is being so vocal this early on, than this does not bode well for the rockets.

Don't necessarily agree.

Should he rather keep his concerns quiet and then speak up after Artest acts out of line? No, leaders confront potential issues before they happen. It still might end up badly, but I don't think Yao speaking his mind truthfully necessarily makes it so. Artest, while insane, sometimes has his moments of clarity. He should know that his past would cause some players to be cautious about him. He should take that as a challenge to prove himself as a changed person and player.

saspurs
07-30-2008, 05:28 PM
god man the west gets better and better and we get worser and worser i mean we are on our way to leaving the playoffs in a couple of years....we also keep getting older tim duncan sucks manu sucks tony is alright....we arent going to win a championship till another 15 to 20 years. Its alright tough atleast we are the 3rd best team in texas behing the rockets and the lady mavericks....we have also done nothing this offseason,oh oh wait we did do something we got worser....anybody have any comments about my comment dont be afraid to reply

stipendlax
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Yao is a 7 foot Chinese communist. He would slice Artest into a 100 pieces.

... and distribute him evenly throughout the Republic of China.

Hemotivo
07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
"When I text messaged with Luis (Scola), we talked about team chemistry. That's only what worries us."

!

saspurs
07-30-2008, 08:40 PM
god man the west gets better and better and we get worser and worser i mean we are on our way to leaving the playoffs in a couple of years....we also keep getting older tim duncan sucks manu sucks tony is alright....we arent going to win a championship till another 15 to 20 years. Its alright tough atleast we are the 3rd best team in texas behing the rockets and the lady mavericks....we have also done nothing this offseason,oh oh wait we did do something we got worser....anybody have any comments about my comment dont be afraid to reply

o yeah i forgot we f****** suck....god we just dont seem to get better i think we are a 40 win team next season...o yea will be behind the mavs. i dont even have to mention the rockets

anakha
07-30-2008, 08:43 PM
o yeah i forgot we f****** suck....god we just dont seem to get better i think we are a 40 win team next season...o yea will be behind the mavs. i dont even have to mention the rockets

Feel free to root for the Rockets then.

ShoogarBear
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM

ShoogarBear
07-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Study the past if you would define the future. I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Respect yourself and others will respect you. When anger rises, think of the consequences. When we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves.

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire. Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.

Man of Steel
07-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I respect Yao's honesty.

I am sure the Rockettes FO cringed, though, as they read his comments about texting Scola worried about the team chemistry...

Guajalote
07-30-2008, 10:22 PM
I respect Yao's honesty.

I am sure the Rockettes FO cringed, though, as they read his comments about texting Scola worried about the team chemistry...

I tell you, there's just something about that Scola guy that rubs FO's the wrong way. :lol

SCOLA THREAD!!! :nope

robbie380
07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
i thought this interview was funny. it seemed like the interviewer was trying to dig for something that wasn't there. artest is surprisingly willing to take a backseat to yao and tracy. seeing him say this stuff makes me pretty pleased.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/014222.html

A seemingly hesitant and wary Yao Ming discussed the agreed-on Ron Artest trade to Houston with the Houston Chronicle's Fran Blinebury in this story. A few hours later, I caught up with the small forward by phone.

In what could be perceived as a second potential problem in this pairing, Artest - who will be a free agent after next season - says he wants to know sooner rather than later if the Rockets will commit to him long-term. I'm not sure yet if this could be enough to scare the Rockets out of the deal, but it certainly isn't the start they were looking for. Keep in mind, there is nothing legally binding about this trade yet.

Here is the Q&A in its entirety. (Questions in bold and answers below)

It's good to catch you finally. How you feeling about this?

I think being that third option I can be more effective. I think I could have the best season of my career as a third option because they can't double or triple team me anymore.

We've still got to make sure there's still a commitment. That's the main thing, is to make sure there's still a commitment. When I speak to the powers-that-be of the Houston Rockets organization, we're going to find out how much they really want me there. We'll find out. I'm still waiting to find out if this is just a trade or if this is like a long-term commitment type thing. I haven't spoken to anybody yet. I'm still waiting.

You don't technically have any say (in the trade), but if you decided you didn't want to go there then they might think twice about this.

If they want me, I'm going. If they want me, and they're committed to Ron Artest, I'm gone. I don't have nothing to prove. I've been in the league going on 10 years. My first few years weren't as good as my last few years and my last seven years have been really consistent, so if they want me I'm gone and even if they don't want me, I still love Tracy McGrady. Every time I see him, he's always competitive, always shows love, and he always competes. I can't wait to play with Tracy McGrady, and I can't wait to play with Shane Battier and the rest of the guys like Rafer Alston. I just can't wait.

I've got to ask you - you didn't mention Yao and I'm sure you've heard of some of the stuff he said back in China. Did that stuff catch you off guard?

This is Tracy and Yao's team, you know. I'm not going to take it personal. I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto. That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about. Sometimes it's hard to get to know Ron Artest because I'm so down to earth to a fault. But once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about and that I'm a pretty intelligent basketball player. I know how to adapt. And all I have to do is play defense anyways, so I can't wait.

But really, he doesn't have to talk to me because to me I'm going. But if Yao Ming needs to talk to his general manager and talk to Tracy, then if they want me, I am going.

They obviously want you for this year, but what if they told you it's nothing more than this year and let's see how it goes after that.

I already made my stance on that. I don't think you have to repeat that. Everybody knows I made my stance on what type of player I am and hwo I think I am.

I know you're excited to play with Rick, but are leaving with any bitter feelings with the Kings or fired up to join up with him?

I'm just excited to be reunited with Rick Adelman. I don't care about anything else. If Rick Adelman has Yao Ming, they win championships without even thinking about me. I don't even want people to think that because the Houston Rockets are acquiring Ron Artest, then that's the reason they'll get over the hump. They would've been over the hump if Yao Ming hadn't gone down. They were having a great season.

I'll come off the bench, I don't care. Let Shane start, and bring me off as a sixth man or seventh man. I would love to come off the bench in Houston. It doesn't even matter.

You threw me off with your comments about Yao, and now I'm wondering if you have any plans of throwing this thing off. Are you definitely going there?

It's up to Yao Ming. It's up to Yao Ming. Tracy McGrady called me. I was playing basketball when I heard about it...This is great. This is great for me.

So what do you do now with the Yao thing? Do you just wait to talk to them and go from there?

I've got to do what I've got to do, but I'm just so happy to be in the Houston Rockets' picture frame. I can't wait to be putting on that jersey and be standing next to Yao Ming. I can't wait. I guess once Yao Ming approves it, I'll be a Houston Rocket.

I know you can't read his mind, but did you feel like he was trying to send a statement to the organization with his comments?

I'm not on his team yet, and he has a team that played well this year. Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets, they don't need a Ron Artest. I'd be a great addition, but it's not like they needed a Ron Artest. I understand where he's coming from. But like I said, whatever Yao Ming wants to do baby, whatever Yao Ming wants to do. It's up to big fella because it's not my team.

It's his team, it's him and Tracy's team. And But when I come in there, I'm definitely going to play my game and play to win. I'm definitely going to play with my ghetto and my hood roots. I'm going to play hard, and I'm going to play just like my culture taught me how to play.

Is that it? Is it a cultural thing?

No, it's not a cultural thing. I think Yao Ming is a great guy. He's a great face for the NBA, him and LeBron (James). Yao Ming is a different type of person where he's not from a ghetto in America, so he doesn't understand how someone from the ghetto really acts. And I'm like one of the most ghetto-ist guys in the NBA.

He probably reads all the headlines and doesn't understand. He automatically believes all the propaganda. He probably should've called me first. But at the same time, it's Yao Ming's team. If he tells me to jump off the building, I'll jump off the building.

Whatever Yao Ming wants me to do, I'll be there. Whatever Tracy McGrady tells me to do, that's how it's going to go down. Ultimately, whatever Rick Adelman tells me to do is exactly what I'm going to do.

It's been three or four years since the brawl. You surprised he went there (with his comments)?

I understand. I guess we're the same age, but he's looked at differently and he was raised differently....Yao Ming was raised differently. But definitely he shouldn't believe in the propaganda. You've also got to understand. I totally, totally represent my culture. So if you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed.

Like I said, I'm going to still stay true to myself and still stay true to my roots. Everybody knows that I'd give all the money in the world to play for Rick Adelman, so it is what it is and if they accept me on their team then I'll be on their team.

Tracy is known as an elite scorer but not so much for his defense. You going to teach him a few things?

All Tracy has to do is go score and I'm shutting (opponents) down. You score, Yao Ming in the post, I don't have to get doubled the whole game anymore in the post. When Yao Ming gets tired, I'll get on the block and give somebody some work. When they're ready to take Shane back over, I'll step back. I shot 38 percent from three last year. I don't have no problem with taking five or six threes a game. Just spotting up and playing defense.

I don't have a problem with stars not playing defense. That's great. That's right up my alley. I'm probably the only dude in the NBA who practices defense in the summer. That's right up my alley.

I'm real excited. I was a little bit thrown off by the whole Yao Ming thing. I called my dad, and my dad said, 'Ron don't worry about it.' I said, alright let's go. - Sam Amick

Categories: Sam Amick

Tags: Ron Artest

Matchman
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
what a prick sam amick is for trying to blow something up out of nothing...:flipoff

TheMadHatter
07-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I can see the trainwreck happening right before my eyes.

robbie380
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I can see the trainwreck happening right before my eyes.

did you read the interview?

ShoogarBear
07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Actually, those were pretty good answers for Ron. The Rockheads couldn't have asked for a better start, at least.

SenorSpur
07-31-2008, 01:08 AM
And now where are all those who dismissed earlier concerns about team chemistry?

Indazone
07-31-2008, 01:29 AM
Interesting. This is Yao calling out Artest before he even comes to the team. It's like Yao is saying to Artest, behave or else. But his opinions are honest. It's what a lot of us are saying about Artest. it's nothing new. Artest has heard it all before.

I applaud Yao for speaking up. He just drew the boundaries for a petulant little boy. Here are the lines don't cross over them or you will get smacked.

trueD
07-31-2008, 01:33 AM
i thought this interview was funny. it seemed like the interviewer was trying to dig for something that wasn't there. artest is surprisingly willing to take a backseat to yao and tracy. seeing him say this stuff makes me pretty pleased.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/014222.html

A seemingly hesitant and wary Yao Ming discussed the agreed-on Ron Artest trade to Houston with the Houston Chronicle's Fran Blinebury in this story. A few hours later, I caught up with the small forward by phone.

In what could be perceived as a second potential problem in this pairing, Artest - who will be a free agent after next season - says he wants to know sooner rather than later if the Rockets will commit to him long-term. I'm not sure yet if this could be enough to scare the Rockets out of the deal, but it certainly isn't the start they were looking for. Keep in mind, there is nothing legally binding about this trade yet.

Here is the Q&A in its entirety. (Questions in bold and answers below)

It's good to catch you finally. How you feeling about this?

I think being that third option I can be more effective. I think I could have the best season of my career as a third option because they can't double or triple team me anymore.

We've still got to make sure there's still a commitment. That's the main thing, is to make sure there's still a commitment. When I speak to the powers-that-be of the Houston Rockets organization, we're going to find out how much they really want me there. We'll find out. I'm still waiting to find out if this is just a trade or if this is like a long-term commitment type thing. I haven't spoken to anybody yet. I'm still waiting.

You don't technically have any say (in the trade), but if you decided you didn't want to go there then they might think twice about this.

If they want me, I'm going. If they want me, and they're committed to Ron Artest, I'm gone. I don't have nothing to prove. I've been in the league going on 10 years. My first few years weren't as good as my last few years and my last seven years have been really consistent, so if they want me I'm gone and even if they don't want me, I still love Tracy McGrady. Every time I see him, he's always competitive, always shows love, and he always competes. I can't wait to play with Tracy McGrady, and I can't wait to play with Shane Battier and the rest of the guys like Rafer Alston. I just can't wait.

I've got to ask you - you didn't mention Yao and I'm sure you've heard of some of the stuff he said back in China. Did that stuff catch you off guard?

This is Tracy and Yao's team, you know. I'm not going to take it personal. I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto. That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about. Sometimes it's hard to get to know Ron Artest because I'm so down to earth to a fault. But once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about and that I'm a pretty intelligent basketball player. I know how to adapt. And all I have to do is play defense anyways, so I can't wait.

But really, he doesn't have to talk to me because to me I'm going. But if Yao Ming needs to talk to his general manager and talk to Tracy, then if they want me, I am going.

They obviously want you for this year, but what if they told you it's nothing more than this year and let's see how it goes after that.

I already made my stance on that. I don't think you have to repeat that. Everybody knows I made my stance on what type of player I am and hwo I think I am.

I know you're excited to play with Rick, but are leaving with any bitter feelings with the Kings or fired up to join up with him?

I'm just excited to be reunited with Rick Adelman. I don't care about anything else. If Rick Adelman has Yao Ming, they win championships without even thinking about me. I don't even want people to think that because the Houston Rockets are acquiring Ron Artest, then that's the reason they'll get over the hump. They would've been over the hump if Yao Ming hadn't gone down. They were having a great season.

I'll come off the bench, I don't care. Let Shane start, and bring me off as a sixth man or seventh man. I would love to come off the bench in Houston. It doesn't even matter.

You threw me off with your comments about Yao, and now I'm wondering if you have any plans of throwing this thing off. Are you definitely going there?

It's up to Yao Ming. It's up to Yao Ming. Tracy McGrady called me. I was playing basketball when I heard about it...This is great. This is great for me.

So what do you do now with the Yao thing? Do you just wait to talk to them and go from there?

I've got to do what I've got to do, but I'm just so happy to be in the Houston Rockets' picture frame. I can't wait to be putting on that jersey and be standing next to Yao Ming. I can't wait. I guess once Yao Ming approves it, I'll be a Houston Rocket.

I know you can't read his mind, but did you feel like he was trying to send a statement to the organization with his comments?

I'm not on his team yet, and he has a team that played well this year. Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets, they don't need a Ron Artest. I'd be a great addition, but it's not like they needed a Ron Artest. I understand where he's coming from. But like I said, whatever Yao Ming wants to do baby, whatever Yao Ming wants to do. It's up to big fella because it's not my team.

It's his team, it's him and Tracy's team. And But when I come in there, I'm definitely going to play my game and play to win. I'm definitely going to play with my ghetto and my hood roots. I'm going to play hard, and I'm going to play just like my culture taught me how to play.

Is that it? Is it a cultural thing?

No, it's not a cultural thing. I think Yao Ming is a great guy. He's a great face for the NBA, him and LeBron (James). Yao Ming is a different type of person where he's not from a ghetto in America, so he doesn't understand how someone from the ghetto really acts. And I'm like one of the most ghetto-ist guys in the NBA.

He probably reads all the headlines and doesn't understand. He automatically believes all the propaganda. He probably should've called me first. But at the same time, it's Yao Ming's team. If he tells me to jump off the building, I'll jump off the building.

Whatever Yao Ming wants me to do, I'll be there. Whatever Tracy McGrady tells me to do, that's how it's going to go down. Ultimately, whatever Rick Adelman tells me to do is exactly what I'm going to do.

It's been three or four years since the brawl. You surprised he went there (with his comments)?

I understand. I guess we're the same age, but he's looked at differently and he was raised differently....Yao Ming was raised differently. But definitely he shouldn't believe in the propaganda. You've also got to understand. I totally, totally represent my culture. So if you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed.

Like I said, I'm going to still stay true to myself and still stay true to my roots. Everybody knows that I'd give all the money in the world to play for Rick Adelman, so it is what it is and if they accept me on their team then I'll be on their team.

Tracy is known as an elite scorer but not so much for his defense. You going to teach him a few things?

All Tracy has to do is go score and I'm shutting (opponents) down. You score, Yao Ming in the post, I don't have to get doubled the whole game anymore in the post. When Yao Ming gets tired, I'll get on the block and give somebody some work. When they're ready to take Shane back over, I'll step back. I shot 38 percent from three last year. I don't have no problem with taking five or six threes a game. Just spotting up and playing defense.

I don't have a problem with stars not playing defense. That's great. That's right up my alley. I'm probably the only dude in the NBA who practices defense in the summer. That's right up my alley.

I'm real excited. I was a little bit thrown off by the whole Yao Ming thing. I called my dad, and my dad said, 'Ron don't worry about it.' I said, alright let's go. - Sam Amick

Categories: Sam Amick

Tags: Ron Artest

Almost hate to quote this because it was such an embarrassing bait-job by Amick. But here goes.

Artest sounds quite contrite here, seems to have changed his mind about being "the guy". Hopefully it's not just posturing, we never know. The mind of Artest is a dangerous thing.

It's a worry that Artest continues to give interviews. His manager must be one hungry SOB. It just doesn't make sense.

About a longterm commitment, Artest will likely be persueded by the Rocket's front office that hey, everyone does it this way: You play a season and we see where we're at afterwards. You want to be special, you should have opted out and shopped around. You play your little heart out this year, be on your best behavior, and the jackpot awaits you at season's end. End of story. Adelman should be a help here.

I think Rocket's with a sane Artest are way better and will be fun to watch. Hope it works out for everyone, but one never knows when Artest is part of the equation. But hey, it's all a part of the manic fun.

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 01:35 AM
I guess people saw BOS's success last year and automatically assume that you can throw stars together and just win. They forget that every star on BOS perfectly complements one another and they all united with one singular purpose, to win a championship. No egos, no money issues, no drama.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 01:42 AM
And now where are all those who dismissed earlier concerns about team chemistry?

and did you read the article? hell i just listened to artest on sac-town radio and he was repeatedly saying how he is yao's man and he will do whatever yao wants him to do. he also said he is going to china to see the olympics, support team america, and talk to yao.

btw sac-town has a pretty good sports talk host and it seemed like him and artest really had a good thing going on the show they had.

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 01:45 AM
and did you read the article? hell i just listened to artest on sac-town radio and he was repeatedly saying how he is yao's man and he will do whatever yao wants him to do. he also said he is going to china to see the olympics, support team america, and talk to yao.

btw sac-town has a pretty good sports talk host and it seemed like him and artest really had a good thing going on the show they had.

Clearly doesn't get it.

With Ron-Ron you have to read between the lines. The most alarming thing I read in that interview is that Ron still does not believe he did wrong in attacking the fan in the infamous DET brawl. His "culture" made him protect himself and he's not changing his culture one bit.

Indazone
07-31-2008, 01:46 AM
Hell, at the end of the day when you put Yao and Artest together, they will get along. Know why? Cause Yao is polite and he gets along with everybody. He is not a get in your face smackdown player. He's a finesse player. Artest is the opposite of that.

Culturally they are worlds apart. You might as well tell Artest that Yao is from Mars. At first there will be some uncertainty as to how to behave but as they get to know each other better they will start cutting up.

T-Mac and Rafer should understand Artest fine.

Scola - See Yao above. Same thing. Spanish Euro player. Doesn't understand rap or the hood.

Battier has no clue cause he really isn't ghetto and it's debatable that he's even black LOL.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 01:47 AM
I guess people saw BOS's success last year and automatically assume that you can throw stars together and just win. They forget that every star on BOS perfectly complements one another and they all united with one singular purpose, to win a championship. No egos, no money issues, no drama.

and what risk did the rockets take by getting artest? you should sign up for around the horn to take woody paige's spot. you offer up some completely worthless opinions. :lol

artest flat out said in his last interview that now he doesn't have to worry about being the number 1 scorer anymore and that he has no problem with coming off the bench in a manu-like role. he also talked about how dominant the defense can be with him and shane out on the perimeter. the guy is ready to play some ball and put his ego aside. time will tell if it comes back but...do you really think the rockets are a worse team for dumping bjax, greene, and a low 1st rounder for artest? or are you just bitter because the lakers didn't get him?:p:

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Hell, at the end of the day when you put Yao and Artest together, they will get along. Know why? Cause Yao is polite and he gets along with everybody. He is not a get in your face smackdown player. He's a finesse player. Artest is the opposite of that.

Culturally they are worlds apart. You might as well tell Artest that Yao is from Mars. At first there will be some uncertainty as to how to behave but as they get to know each other better they will start cutting up.

Scola - See Yao above. Same thing. Spanish Euro player. Doesn't understand rap or the hood.

Battier has no clue cause he really isn't ghetto and it's debatable that he's even black LOL.

As long as they have chemistry ON the court that's all that matters. Unfortunately for you that is the biggest question mark in this whole deal. How will Artest fit in with T-Mac and Yao when he is at his best with the ball in his hands?

Shaq and Kobe hated each other off the court, but ON the court their chemistry was just fine. And they won 3 rings.

Indazone
07-31-2008, 01:50 AM
Adleman will bench Artest if he gets out of hand or starts to get testy. The Rockets can afford putting Artest on the pine with that loaded team of theirs.

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 01:50 AM
and what risk did the rockets take by getting artest? you should sign up for around the horn to take woody paige's spot. you offer up some completely worthless opinions. :lol

artest flat out said in his last interview that now he doesn't have to worry about being the number 1 scorer anymore and that he has no problem with coming off the bench in a manu-like role. he also talked about how dominant the defense can be with him and shane out on the perimeter. the guy is ready to play some ball and put his ego aside. time will tell if it comes back but...do you really think the rockets are a worse team for dumping bjax, greene, and a low 1st rounder for artest? or are you just bitter because the lakers didn't get him?:p:

Rule of thumb regarding Artest. NEVER EVER take anything he says at face value. This shows how stupid and young you are that I have to explain this to you. With Artest you must always read between the lines, and even then it's a crapshoot trying to figure out what is going on in his head. But don't take my word for it, go ask the King's fans here.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 01:51 AM
Clearly doesn't get it.

With Ron-Ron you have to read between the lines. The most alarming thing I read in that interview is that Ron still does not believe he did wrong in attacking the fan in the infamous DET brawl. His "culture" made him protect himself and he's not changing his culture one bit.

with artest you don't read between the lines. he states things pretty clearly. he stated pretty clearly that he is ghetto. there is no reading between the lines there....all you have to do is read the lines.

Indazone
07-31-2008, 01:51 AM
As long as they have chemistry ON the court that's all that matters. Unfortunately for you that is the biggest question mark in this whole deal. How will Artest fit in with T-Mac and Yao when he is at his best with the ball in his hands?

Shaq and Kobe hated each other off the court, but ON the court their chemistry was just fine. And they won 3 rings.

This is true. Artest kept complaining that he wasn't getting a bigger role on the team. In fact the Bibby hate was pretty strong with Artest.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 01:53 AM
Rule of thumb regarding Artest. NEVER EVER take anything he says at face value. This shows how stupid and young you are that I have to explain this to you. With Artest you must always read between the lines, and even then it's a crapshoot trying to figure out what is going on in his head. But don't take my word for it, go ask the King's fans here.

good work calling me stupid. :lol i didn't say artest's feelings won't change from one moment to the next. when he does feel a certain way he doesn't hold it back and he states his opinions and emotions clearly. when you state things clearly that is not leaving things for the reader's/listener's mind to figure out on their own. the word you are looking for is mercurial. hope that helps mr. smartypants.

trueD
07-31-2008, 01:55 AM

Good points, especially that others may as well be from Mars to Artest. His self-absorbed outlook (or INlook, as the case may be) has truly been his undoing.

The really, really weird thing is that no one on Kings has complained, or even hinted, that Ron is a bad teammate. He's very likeable, in fact he works well with the young guys, spending time with them as a mentor after practices, etc.

Battier is black? :lol

Indazone
07-31-2008, 01:58 AM
with artest you don't read between the lines. he states things pretty clearly. he stated pretty clearly that he is ghetto. there is no reading between the lines there....all you have to do is read the lines.

He is the second coming of Vernon Maxwell. Hell Maxwell went into the stands after a fan for disrespecting him. Then he clocked Carl Herrara with dumbells requiring 30 stitches to close the cut.

Mad Max - Absolutely vital to the Rockets title runs as will Artest be

Mad Max Incidents

1987 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=1987&action=edit): Due to NCAA (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/NCAA) violations, all the points he scored last two seasons in college were eliminated from the record books.
1994 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=1994&action=edit): He was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon.
1994: He hit teammate Carl Herrera (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Carl_Herrera&action=edit) in the head with a free weight at the head of his; it took 30 stiches to close the wound.
1995 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=1995&action=edit): He took two weeks off from the season for "personal problems", only to admit later that he merely wanted an in-season vacation. The incident was hyped as Maxwell being disgruntled at the team's recent acquisition of Hall of Fame (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/Category:Hall_of_Famers) guard Clyde Drexler (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/Clyde_Drexler). His actions led to the Rockets firing him.
1995: In a game at Portland, he ran into the stands to punch a fan, later claiming the fan had heckled him over his wife's miscarriage. The NBA suspended him for 10 games (which is when the Rockets picked up Drexler).
1997 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=1997&action=edit): Ordered to pay $592,000 for knowingly infecting a woman with herpes. The plaintiff was awarded a default judgment as Maxwell did not appear in court.
1999 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/1999): In Florida, he was arrested for failing to pay $160,000 in child support. A warrant was issued for Maxwell's arrest in Florida in December 2004 when he failed to appear for another child support hearing.
2005 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/2005): Maxwell was jailed in January 2005 in Washington state after his arrest as a fugitive on the 2004 outstanding arrest warrant from Florida.
2007 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/2007): In North Carolina, Maxwell was arrested for drug possession charges. This violated his probation and Maxwell turned himself in and was jailed without bond.RON ARTEST INCIDENTS

Went into stand to punch a fan
Domestic Fight with Wife
Applied for job at Circuit City
Attended Pacers Practice in Bathrobe
Destroyed TV Camera in Madison Sq. Garden
Confronted Pat Riley
Several Flagrant Fouls
Asked for time off for his music career
Charged with neglect of Dog later proven that dog had a disease causing it to lose weight.

Ok who sounds worse? Maxwell or Artest?

I take Artest anyday in a lessor of the head cases anyday.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Good points, especially that others may as well be from Mars to Artest. His self-absorbed outlook (or INlook, as the case may be) has truly been his undoing.

The really, really weird thing is that no one on Kings has complained, or even hinted, that Ron is a bad teammate. He's very likeable, in fact he works well with the young guys, spending time with them as a mentor after practices, etc.

Battier is black? :lol

that is the vibe i got from listening to him on 1140 AM tonight. he also seems genuinely excited about playing for adelman again and having teammates like yao and t-mac. he also sounded really excited about just getting back to focusing more on defense than offense. like i said a few minutes ago...who knows if he will change his tune a month into the season but for now it sounds promising.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 02:01 AM
He is the second coming of Vernon Maxwell. Hell Maxwell went into the stands after a fan for disrespecting him. Then he clocked Carl Herrara with dumbells requiring 30 stitches to close the cut.

Mad Max - Absolutely vital to the Rockets title runs as will Artest be

Mad Max Incidents

1987 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=1987&action=edit): Due to NCAA (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/NCAA) violations, all the points he scored last two seasons in college were eliminated from the record books.
1994 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=1994&action=edit): He was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon.
1994: He hit teammate Carl Herrera (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Carl_Herrera&action=edit) in the head with a free weight at the head of his; it took 30 stiches to close the wound.
1995 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=1995&action=edit): He took two weeks off from the season for "personal problems", only to admit later that he merely wanted an in-season vacation. The incident was hyped as Maxwell being disgruntled at the team's recent acquisition of Hall of Fame (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/Category:Hall_of_Famers) guard Clyde Drexler (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/Clyde_Drexler). His actions led to the Rockets firing him.
1995: In a game at Portland, he ran into the stands to punch a fan, later claiming the fan had heckled him over his wife's miscarriage. The NBA suspended him for 10 games (which is when the Rockets picked up Drexler).
1997 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=1997&action=edit): Ordered to pay $592,000 for knowingly infecting a woman with herpes. The plaintiff was awarded a default judgment as Maxwell did not appear in court.
1999 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/1999): In Florida, he was arrested for failing to pay $160,000 in child support. A warrant was issued for Maxwell's arrest in Florida in December 2004 when he failed to appear for another child support hearing.
2005 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/2005): Maxwell was jailed in January 2005 in Washington state after his arrest as a fugitive on the 2004 outstanding arrest warrant from Florida.
2007 (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/2007): In North Carolina, Maxwell was arrested for drug possession charges. This violated his probation and Maxwell turned himself in and was jailed without bond.Ok who sounds worse? Maxwell or Artest?

I take Artest anyday in a lessor of the head cases anyday.

yeah mad max really fell off a cliff after that first championship.

trueD
07-31-2008, 02:03 AM

That would be Carmichael Dave Show, Ron has spent lots of time this summer at the mic with Dave. I haven't heard much of their "segments", but Ron isn't much trouble at the other end of the interview, ie., it isn't hard to get him to talk. It could be having a soapbox has hurt Artest and made him feel at ease, where he should really use more restraint, imo.

But you know how these talk-show hosts are: It's all about the ratings. I bet Dave gets some real blow out of his relationship with Ron, and Ron only dreams more delusions of grandeur.

Things like this make me hate the media.

Indazone
07-31-2008, 02:07 AM
Mad Max did dangerous stuff like drugs and weapons charges. Both Maxwell and Artest punched fans. Maxwell actually took two weeks off cause he didn't feel like playing. Artest asked first and then didn't carry it through.

Everything else that Artest did was just funny if you think about it. Except with that big fight he had with his wife.

Why didn't Vernon Maxwell get a full season suspension for punching a fan and Artest got the full season suspension???

I'll tell you why? Different era. NBA was more lax about these things than now.

trueD
07-31-2008, 02:13 AM
that is the vibe i got from listening to him on 1140 AM tonight. he also seems genuinely excited about playing for adelman again and having teammates like yao and t-mac. he also sounded really excited about just getting back to focusing more on defense than offense. like i said a few minutes ago...who knows if he will change his tune a month into the season but for now it sounds promising.

Artest will help the Rockets, imo. For at least one year. It's hard to say whether he's a viable candidate for a longterm contract, since he's is genuinely a head case. 2 year doses may be desirable, and taken as needed. :lol

Indazone
07-31-2008, 02:14 AM
If Rockest can win with Maxwell then the Rockets can win with Artest.

Too bad the Spurs coudln't win with Rodman :D

KidCongo
07-31-2008, 02:20 AM
If they win, there will be no problems.

GuerillaBlack
07-31-2008, 03:00 AM
Mad Max did dangerous stuff like drugs and weapons charges. Both Maxwell and Artest punched fans. Maxwell actually took two weeks off cause he didn't feel like playing. Artest asked first and then didn't carry it through.

Everything else that Artest did was just funny if you think about it. Except with that big fight he had with his wife.

Why didn't Vernon Maxwell get a full season suspension for punching a fan and Artest got the full season suspension???

:lol

Why would he need to apply for a job at Circuit City?

Indazone
07-31-2008, 08:39 AM
So he could get the employee discount. Why else would he apply for a job at Circuit City??? LOL

ambchang
07-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Actually, those were pretty good answers for Ron. The Rockheads couldn't have asked for a better start, at least.

He said the same thing when he joined the Kings.

ambchang
07-31-2008, 08:58 AM

Starving dogs is funny.

dickface
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto.

Indazone
07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
He didn't starve his dogs. He actually hired two people to feed his dog while he was away playing NBA games. What else could he have done? All he can really do is fire the people taking care of his dogs. He was aquitted of all charges. Plus his dog had a bone disease which would in effect cause it to lose a lot of weight quickly.

Ron Artest Will Not Be Charged With Animal Abuse

http://static.cbslocal.com/Themes/CBS/_resources/img/images_image_280164506.gif Artest's Neighbors Change Community Animal Rules (http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_043095259.html)

http://static.cbslocal.com/Themes/CBS/_resources/img/images_image_280164506.gif Kings' Artest Known To Placer Co. Animal Control (http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_039143642.html)

http://static.cbslocal.com/Themes/CBS/_resources/img/images_image_280164506.gif Ron Artest's Dog Seized By Animal Control (http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_038092917.html)

AUBURN (CBS13) ― Kings forward Ron Artest will not face animal cruelty charges in regards to weight loss and malnutrition of his great dane, Socks.

The Placer County D.A.'s office will not to file charges against Artest or his wife Kimsha with willful animal cruelty or neglect of Socks citing insufficient evidence, they say.

Although veterinarians had confirmed the dog had lost weight, the D.A.'s office says that evidence suggests that Artest was not at home during the time his dog began losing weight. In fact, Artest had hired two people for care for the dog while he was out of town.

Another crucial piece of evidence in favor of Artest came from Veterinarians who say they discovered a bone infection in the dog's leg that "would have significantly contributed to her weight loss". They said that after the dog received treatment for the infection, its appetite returned. Socks is now at a healthy weight.

Due to extensive traveling and business commitments, Artest said that he may not be able to provide Socks with the care she needs. The dog will be placed with a family who have been approved by Placer County Animal Services.

Officers seized socks in February from Artest.

Neighbors had complained for weeks that the dog appeared to be starving inside a gated area on Artest's $1.85 million estate in rural Loomis, about 30 miles northeast of the state capital, according to a county report.

On Jan. 30, animal services officers visited Artest's home and issued a "pre-seizure" notice, warning the basketball star and aspiring rap artist that the black, female Great Dane would be taken into custody if the animal was not better cared for.

"These are really nice people that live out here," said Allan Frumkin, head of the Sierra Ridge Estates Homeowners Association. "We don't like to see this type of thing go on."

Artest signed with the Kings last January for $7.15 million this season and $7.8 million in 2007-08, with an $8.45 million player option for 2008-09

http://cbs13.com/sports/Socks.great.dane.2.477274.html

Indazone
07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
I have been following this guy for a long long time. Ever since he was on the Pacers. I know all his little sordid stories. The animal starvation thing is the Press not doing their job and reporting accurately. Ron's previous rep probably contributed to them going on a witch hunt.

Ron hasn't pulled any guns on anyone and fired in the air or stabbed anyone in a bar.

ambchang
07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Ron Artest is just unlucky, and that is really just funny. He is a victim more than anything. I am sure Ron Artest not doing his due diligence into what kind of contractor he has in taking care of something as valuable as his beloved great dane is not his fault.

Besides, if Rodman can win 5 championship being a role player, and Mad Max can be the 4th most important player on a championship team, why can't Artest, who only ruined one franchise, and significantly weakened another, not be a 3rd option of another championship team?

Because we all know that, like Rodman and Mad Max, Artest has never cried about not being involved enough on offense, and that he has never pounded the ball for 15 seconds on every possession in the low blocks every time he has possession of the ball even though he deserves it like Shaq does.

Indazone
07-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Artest is a man-child. He thinks like a Child. Not sayin he's the smartest guy on the planet. When he hires someone to take care of his dogs he probably hired some friends from the hood. He probably didn't go looking for a dog kennel or a professional dog care specialist.

When he tried to sign on to bein an employee at Circuit City..all he's thinking is hey , it'll be temporary and I"ll get a 50% discount. DOH! Doesn't think hey I'm makin millions.

All he is doing with the press today is being politically correct. Something Donnie Walsh beat into his head with the Pacers. He'll never be a politician but he's way better than before. Hey NBA athletes say a lot of stupid things. That's why Charles Barkley has a job. He's paid to say stupid things.

Hasn't gone Jamaal Tinsley, Rafer Alston, Stephen Jackson crazy has he? Slash anyone in the neck lately?

O-Factor
07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
I think it was good for the team that Yao spoke his mind. It shows me he's learning how to be a leader on the team. What troubles me if Im a Rockets fan is Artests defiant response to Yao.

I have to give props to Yao letting Artest know what is what. Artests probably thought being a new team will be a fresh start with a long leash. But Yao let him know in so many words that he needs to change if the Rockets are going to find success in this trade. Way to man up Yao.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 10:06 AM
I think it was good for the team that Yao spoke his mind. It shows me he's learning how to be a leader on the team. What troubles me if Im a Rockets fan is Artests defiant response to Yao.

I have to give props to Yao letting Artest know what is what. Artests probably thought being a new team will be a fresh start with a long leash. But Yao let him know in so many words that he needs to change if the Rockets are going to find success in this trade. Way to man up Yao.

post his defiant response. was he being defiant when he said he would do anything yao told him to do? what about when he said he was yao's soldier? what about when he said he was going to the olympics to see team usa and support yao? was that defiance too?:lol

Indazone
07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
As long as Artest doesn't do a Vernon Maxwell and hit a teammate in the head with a dumbell.

stipendlax
07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Don't know if it's been posted, but...

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/014225.html

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
For someone as stupid as Ron Artest is, his responses were pretty decent...this was his major slip-up/revelation:

I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto. That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture.

In those three sentences he says that A) his going into the stands was justified because of his culture; B) Yao Ming doesn't understand violent acts because that's a black thing that Yao couldn't possibly understand; C) he doesn't regret his actions and would certainly do it again; D) the true black culture is to be ghetto and Ron Ron is proud to epitomize that through his actions.

Should be a fun year down in Houston town.

ambchang
07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Ron Artest's continual use of culture as an excuse is appalling. I am surprised he is not being labelled a racists for tying black culture with violence in solving problems, cruelty to animals stemming from irresponsibility, and domestic abuse.

stipendlax
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Should be a fun year down in Houston town.

Agreed 100%.

Tully365
07-31-2008, 12:05 PM

If you honestly think Duncan and Manu suck and Tony is just "alright," then why do you even call yourself a fan of the Spurs? Why don't you just root for another team that hasn't got 'worser?"

I. Hustle
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't think I've read a "worser" post.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Ronaldo McDonald thinks some of the stuff Ron Artest said in the interview was stupid, such as:

Saying he wouldn't change because it's how he was raised. People need to change, they need to open up at look at things differantly. Ron is an idiot fo saying stuff like that. Plenty of people have to change to make it in the real world. He's sending out a bad message. Not everyone can act like a maniac and still live a great life being a millionaire and playing basketball.

GuerillaBlack
08-01-2008, 03:13 AM
New video: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3514113

"Anything they [Yao and Tracy] say is right. They can't do nothing wrong in my eyes."

Go Ron Go!

:D

Ill Cosby
08-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah Yao, that chemistry was really helpin' out in them playoffs....LOL