PDA

View Full Version : Yankees land Pudge

sa_butta
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3511535

New York acquired catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers on Wednesday for right-handed pitcher Kyle Farnsworth.

DarkReign
07-30-2008, 03:55 PM
What

The

Fuck...

Moronic move.

Kriz-Maxima
07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Sad.

sa_butta
07-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Its a sad day for Tigers fans....Thank you Detroit for giving up on your season.

Melmart1
07-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Well, Farnsworth is at least pitching well right now, the Tigers' bullpen is such a mess that he really is a boost to it.

As a Rangers fan, it pains me to see a guy who was such an integral part of our team for years in pinstripes.Blechhh.

midgetonadonkey
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Another aging bat isn't what the Yankees need. They need as much pitching as possible.

It's a dumb move.

AFBlue
07-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Yankees land Nady, Marte, and Pudge without giving up a single decent prospect....rediculous.

I hope the Pirates give up Bay to the Rays for some crappy second-tier pitcher in their system...but I doubt it.

T Park
07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Phat

report is Bay is going to Tampa, i just don't know for who though.

The Cardinals are supposedly close on a deal for Kelly Johnson and Will Ohman from the Braves.

Dunno what good that does, but its something.

djohn14
07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Phat

report is Bay is going to Tampa, i just don't know for who though.

The Cardinals are supposedly close on a deal for Kelly Johnson and Will Ohman from the Braves.

Dunno what good that does, but its something.
REALLY? I heard a reporter predicted Ohman would go to STL, and I heard the Cards where high on Kelly but wow I hope so. My two favorite teams makking a deal...wow.

jack sommerset
07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Another aging bat isn't what the Yankees need. They need as much pitching as possible.

It's a dumb move.

They replaced Posada with Pudge trading freaken Farnsworth. Thats far from dumb.

midgetonadonkey
07-30-2008, 05:46 PM
It is dumb when their biggest problem is pitching. They are already very weak in relief pitching, now they just give up a pitcher that has been doing well for another bat. Unless they are trying to outscore everybody, they are going to have problems closing games.

T Park
07-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Farnsworth is a peanut head. He has been that way since his day in Chicago and he will always be that way.

FromWayDowntown
07-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm with Midge in thinking that the Yankees are borderline delusional if they think offense will get them into the playoffs.

Listening to the Yankees' radio broadcast today, their talking heads are convinced that the Yanks' top 4 in September will be pretty formidable -- Chamberlain, Mussina, Pettitte, and Wang. I'd be curious to see if the first 3 can keep it together that long at this stage of their respective careers and I don't know that it's fair to presume that Wang is going to be ready to go when September rolls around (and that all presumes that the Yankees will still be in the race at that point).

But even that's a valid belief, they've got virtually nothing to bridge games from those guys to Rivera. If they're depending on theiir starters consistently going 7+ innings to be able to get games to Rivera, I'm not sure I like their chances.

I think the Yanks' best hope at this point is to bludgeon bad teams with offense and to hope that the Rays fall apart as the season wanes. I'm not sure that either is a blueprint for winning pennants.

Pudge is better than Chad Moeller and Jose Molina, but if just adding sticks is the Yankees' m.o. at this point, I think they're doomed.

Heath Ledger
07-30-2008, 07:13 PM
didn't the tigers already discard Farnsworth a few years back?

DarkReign
07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
didn't the tigers already discard Farnsworth a few years back?

Yeah, they traded him to Atlanta because he made it clear he wasnt going to resign with the Tigs.

jochhejaam
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Tigers are tied 11-11 in the 8th against the Indians, they didn't need Pudge's bat, but they do need a reliable reliever.

Inge will be at least as productive as Pudge was.

Good move, it may not be enough to get them into the season, but it certainly wasn't a sign that they're giving up on the season.

samikeyp
07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Tigers are tied 11-11 in the 8th against the Indians, they didn't need Pudge's bat, but they do need a reliable reliever.

Good move, it may not be enough to get them into the season, but it certainly wasn't a sign that they're giving up on the season.

+1

Marklar MM
07-31-2008, 12:07 AM

Exactly. They were not bringing Pudge back after this season anyways, and there biggest weakness was relief pitching. While it would have been nice to get more for Pudge, I understand that in the win now mode they are currently in, pitching was very much needed over hitting and a catcher who plays every other day.

JamStone
07-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Not a great move, but not a bad move either. I'm right on the fence with this one. I don't mind trading Pudge, but I would have hoped that they'd get something better than Farnsworth. Neither Pudge nor Farnsworth were going to be Tigers next year, so in reality it doesn't really matter. But, it still would have been nice to get someone who could help and possibly be around next year as well, or also get a prospect in the process.

Pudge was having a solid year batting this year but his average was based mostly on meaningless hits. He'd get a bunch of hits late in games that were already decided in blowouts either way or when there were two outs and no one on base. His batting average is greatly inflated.

I appreciate what Pudge meant for the Tigers in terms of helping them turn it around. But, his time had come to an end. So, thanks and see ya, Pudge.

sribb43
07-31-2008, 02:12 PM
It is dumb when their biggest problem is pitching. They are already very weak in relief pitching, now they just give up a pitcher that has been doing well for another bat. Unless they are trying to outscore everybody, they are going to have problems closing games.

The Yankees bullpen is not the problem....Rivera, Veras, Marte, Ramirez, Robertson and there getting Brian Bruney back very soon. There bullpen is solid, it is their 4th and 5th starters that are killing them right now in Rasner and Ponson. Yanks have some options, they can trade for Washburn or bring up players within, i.e. Kennedy or Hughes. Kennedy has been tearing up AAA.

They moves the Yanks have made have been impressive, before these trades their bottom 3rd of the lineup was automatic outs in Melky, Gardner and Molina. Know you add Pudge and Nady and once again Yanks 1-9 is solid

T Park
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Whats funny about this, I hadn't heard one bit about Pudge being available for trade.

T Park
07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Listening to the Yankees' radio broadcast today, their talking heads are convinced that the Yanks' top 4 in September will be pretty formidable -- Chamberlain, Mussina, Pettitte, and Wang
:lmao

I've got some ocean front property in Colorado for them, if they really believe Wang is coming back this year.

2centsworth
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
:lmao

I've got some ocean front property in Colorado for them, if they really believe Wang is coming back this year.

i don't know if he's coming back, but that's a decent starting 4 when healthy. Plus, pudge is known for being good with young pitchers like Joba and Wang.

T Park
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
It is. If Wang was coming back, and hes not.

So them expecting Wang to come back was like Cardinal fans expecting Mulder to come back.