PDA

View Full Version : Let's pretend the Spurs traded Tim Duncan

Brutalis
07-30-2008, 08:03 PM
It a world where pigs fly and hell froze over centuries ago. Tell me, what would you do if the Spurs had traded Duncan?

Me? I'd cry honestly, then lose some fandom for the Spurs however I'd still be a fan to some degree.

Darkwaters
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
I suppose it would matter slightly on what they got in return. Of course, no matter what they get in return it never would be worth it. Duncan is one of the best players of all time, a time-honored winner and a legend and symbol of San Antonio. But if they got Dwight Howard, LeBron James and 4 lottery picks in the trade I wouldn't feel AS bad.

manufor3
07-30-2008, 08:14 PM
i would be depressed

jag
07-30-2008, 08:29 PM
I'd want to see what the heck they got in return, and if it wasn't Kobe + Bynum + Farmar + Gasol...i'd be mad and want pop and RC fired. Then i'd probably go to work the next day and then maybe have sex with my girlfriend that night, life would go on and i'd still be a spurs fan.

WildcardManu
07-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't care what they got back, Duncan is the Spurs.

jag
07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Wouldn't care what they got back, Duncan is the Spurs.

I guess it's difficult for me to imagine cause i just don't ever see it happening. Even though the Spurs entertained the idea of trading D-Rob back in the day.

jack sommerset
07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
If they traded him today, I wonder who you could get for him. What team could use a Tim Duncan plus give up there stars. I would think you could not trade for draft picks. Any team with Duncan would make playoffs so the lottery would be out. I think it would be a very diffilcult trade to make.

duncan228
07-30-2008, 08:50 PM
If Duncan goes I become a fan of the team he goes to.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Tell me, what would you do if the Spurs had traded Duncan?

Buy a LeBron jersey, cuz' he's the only one I wouldn't kill Pop and RC for trading Tim for.

ArgSpursFan.
07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
It a world where pigs fly and hell froze over centuries ago. Tell me, what would you do if the Spurs had traded Duncan?

Me? I'd cry honestly, then lose some fandom for the Spurs however I'd still be a fan to some degree.

Just for the record, let me tell you that TD is human,so get use to the idea that sooner or later it's gonna happen,iven if he doesn't get traded.

Lawrence.
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Two chicks at the same time.

jay014
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
I'd still be a Spurs fan. Spurs fan before David and Tim, Spurs fan after.

Is this the Duncan jersey you own now?
http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/51-18/51-18403-F.jpg

mytespurs
07-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Let's not............:depressed

Perish the thought! :wow

duncan228
07-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Is this the Duncan jersey you own now?

No, I've got his road jersey.

dbreiden83080
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Send tons of hate mail to the front office and never root for the Spurs again.

Brutalis
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
No, I've got his road jersey.

Me too. :tu

2005 Finals road black authentic though.

jay014
07-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Me too. :tu

2005 Finals road black authentic though.

no , he's talking about.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EY6866BEL._AA280_.jpg

Brutalis
07-30-2008, 09:41 PM
no , he's talking about.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EY6866BEL._AA280_.jpg

Me too. :cheer

*and you mean she. lol.

duncan228
07-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm talking about the basic black road jersey. :)

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/jerseyroad.jpg

samikeyp
07-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I would find a new internet hangout because this board would blow up! :lol

I'd still be a Spurs fan. Spurs fan before David and
Tim, Spurs fan after.

Exactly. I'm all about the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back. A view that is sadly, shared less and less.

baseline bum
07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
I'd jump on the bandwagon of whatever team he was traded to, even if it was the Lakers or Jazz.

Ibleedslvrnblk
07-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Words cannot describe it. I would wear black for a year. Oh man. Its not even funny to think about. It will never happen thank Jebus....

duncan228
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I'd still be a Spurs fan. Spurs fan before David and Tim, Spurs fan after.

Exactly. I'm all about the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back. A view that is sadly, shared less and less.

I've been an NBA fan since Bird's rookie year but I wasn't a Spurs fan until Duncan. If he retires a Spur, which I think he will, they will be my team forever. But if they traded him I'd go where he did. He's the reason I'm a Spurs fan. He's the reason I watch the game.

Jlowd21
07-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd turn emo

rj215
07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I'd start a petition to have an intervention with Pop at the AT&T Center. The only way he trades Duncan is if he starts hittin' the wine a bit too much.

midgetonadonkey
07-30-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd be still be a Spurs fan and hate Duncan because he is no longer a Spur.

Sense
07-30-2008, 11:15 PM
If he got traded I would no longer be a Spurs fan..

Tim Duncan is the Spurs..
he leaves the Spurs, I'm no longer a Spurs fan, obviously I would still be a Spurs fan if he retired as a Spur

midgetonadonkey
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM

he leaves the Spurs, I'm no longer a Spurs fan, obviously I would still be a Spurs fan if he retired as a Spur

Bandwagoner

DPG21920
07-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Buy a LeBron jersey, cuz' he's the only one I wouldn't kill Pop and RC for trading Tim for.

Exactly. I will still be a Spurs fan but I will root for Duncan when he is not playing the Spurs. But I would do that trade today if it were possible. You would have to.

lefty
07-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Spurs fan since 92

So still Spurs fan

ducks
07-31-2008, 12:11 AM

bandwagoner fan

ducks
07-31-2008, 12:11 AM

bandwagoner fan

ducks
07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
I'd jump on the bandwagon of whatever team he was traded to, even if it was the Lakers or Jazz.

bandwagoner fan

ducks
07-31-2008, 12:13 AM

true spur fan:hat:hat:hat:hat

Sense
07-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Bandwagoner

If it wasnt for Duncan the Spurs would be nowhere where they are right now...

as far as what the Spurs are known for..

so...

you call me whatever you want..

Spurs aren't the same without him around... he's the miracle San Antonio had been waiting for :p

midgetonadonkey
07-31-2008, 12:28 AM
If it wasnt for Duncan the Spurs would be nowhere where they are right now...

as far as what the Spurs are known for..

so...

you call me whatever you want..

Spurs aren't the same without him around... he's the miracle San Antonio had been waiting for :p

So you are saying the only reason you are a fan is because of where they are now?

Fucking bandwagoner. I was a Spurs fan before Duncan and before Robinson. I will be one no matter what. I'm not a pussy "fan" like you.

baseline bum
07-31-2008, 12:58 AM
bandwagoner fan

Blow me. I was a fan before we won the lotto. If the team ever disrespected its greatest player of all-time like that, I wouldn't have any respect for them.

Spurtacus
07-31-2008, 01:00 AM

So you would completely forget about the 4 championships he led us to? Damn.

Fabbs
07-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Hmmn. Coatails does promise to jettison if Duncan retires, right?

Oden and Dwight Howard both join Spurs in a three way trade.

Done.

midgetonadonkey
07-31-2008, 01:27 AM
So you would completely forget about the 4 championships he led us to? Damn.

Fuck what he led us to as a Spur. That wouldn't matter if he is on another team.

Anyone on any other team is an enemy. No remorse, no mercy.

I once loved Malik Rose. But once he got traded he was the enemy. Same goes for Devin Brown, Stephen Jackson, and Sean Elliott (When he was a Piston).

midgetonadonkey
07-31-2008, 01:29 AM
The current Spurs team comes first. No matter what stupid shit the FO does, the team comes first. I love the Spurs team. No matter who is on it. They are my favorites, anyone else is the fucking enemy.

That's what fandom is all about.

midgetonadonkey
07-31-2008, 01:43 AM
It's like if you went your whole prepubescent life loving Asian chicks. And then when you are in your late 20', early 30's you finally bang the hottest Asian chick you have ever seen. A couple of years after banging her, you decide to quit her because there may be other hot chicks out there to take her place. Yeah she is still kinda hot but you know that soon she will be wrinkling and getting older and not as experimental, so you dump her for a younger, maybe not so beautiful Asian chick. Does that mean you hate your ex? No. She did nothing wrong but get older. Does that mean you no longer like Asian chicks? No. You simply replaced the hottest one ever (who was going to inevitability lose her looks) for one that is Asian and just might one day be as hot. And if she never gets as hot as the hottest one ever, than you are able to accept that, because hot Asian chicks like Duncan are 1 in a million. But that doesn't mean you bail and start dating white chick.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

anakha
07-31-2008, 01:53 AM
Only in ST can Duncan get compared to a hot Asian woman. :lol

Spurtacus
07-31-2008, 01:57 AM
I'll still be a Spurs fan before anything else, but I wouldn't "hate" Duncan if he was on another team. I wouldn't think of him as an "enemy" either. I won't forget so easily what the so called "enemy" did for us for 10+ years. That's my opinion.

urunobili
07-31-2008, 02:14 AM
allez TP!

Chen
07-31-2008, 02:16 AM
i will be pretty desperate about the decision.

no matter who R.C can trade from.

kupogrey
07-31-2008, 03:06 AM

lol @ TDOFs
(tim duncan only fans)

lemme put it this way, hakeem didnt retire a rocket but he is loved by the city forever.

how would him going anywhere else change what he did for the your city?

baseline bum
07-31-2008, 03:21 AM
lol @ TDOFs
(tim duncan only fans)

lemme put it this way, hakeem didnt retire a rocket but he is loved by the city forever.

how would him going anywhere else change what he did for the your city?

Hakeem left as a free agent, didn't he?

Tim Duncan is the reason we even have a team in SA. Without him coming out and saying he would re-sign if the San Antonio voters approved the construction of the AT&T Center, we're probably in the same boat Seattle fan is. Dude turned down the chance to play with Grant Hill in Orlando when Hill was a first ballot HOF'er to stay with an aging Spurs team that looked like it didn't have much of a future outside of him. Duncan showed monster loyalty to this team when he could have gone back to being a media darling on the East Coast. He turned down the chance to have a guaranteed trip to the Finals every season in Orlando. Duncan+Hill was going to be the new Eastern Conference glamor team; a dynasty for the new decade. Instead he stayed here and formed one for our city.

There's no way I'd ever forgive this team if they showed any disloyalty to Tim. Thankfully, Pop will never let it happen. Duncan should retire a Spur unless he specifically asks to be traded or signs elsewhere.

angelbelow
07-31-2008, 04:12 AM
probably wont be that big of a spurs fan because that wouldnt be the type of team that i would cheer for.

Sissiborgo
07-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Spurs Aint no spurs if he goes!....

wijayas
07-31-2008, 05:37 AM
I sure hope the Spurs have enough loyalty to Duncan and allow him to retire as a Spurs. He has done more than just winning the championships for the Spurs. As some of the posts here say "Duncan is Spurs", which I agree wholeheartedly. He defines what the Spurs should look like, not by raising his voices, but by being an unselfish, nurturing leader.

It will be a sad day if Duncan has to go through what Shaq, Hakeem, Patrick Ewing endured (being traded!).

Spurs should show loyalty as Duncan has all these years. And that is the Spurs I have come to respect and adore.

Sense
07-31-2008, 06:32 AM
Let me get you guys a reality check...

Without Duncan... there's no fucking Trophies.... there's no spoiled Spurs fans, which is probably the best thing that could happen to the city.

it's like oh ok.. 4 championships, he can leave and we'll be fine..

fuck that.. and I'm not a TDOF, or I'd have his picture on my avatar.. so stfu rocketfan.

The truth is, we should be rejoicing the time he's here..
because before we know it we'll be the next Hawks.
What I'm saying, which won't happen is that if he leaves, he leaves for a reason... and well the Spurs are just never the same Spurs.

now with that said..

stfu ducks and everyone with the whole bandwagoner bs... this is obviously theoretical, and obviously never going to happen...

so put two and two together morons.

Jlowd21
07-31-2008, 12:23 PM
stfu ducks and everyone with the whole bandwagoner bs... this is obviously theoretical, and obviously never going to happen...

TWENTY TWO!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd grab an uzi and go climb a clock tower.

mrspurs
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
I suppose it would matter slightly on what they got in return. Of course, no matter what they get in return it never would be worth it. Duncan is one of the best players of all time, a time-honored winner and a legend and symbol of San Antonio. But if they got Dwight Howard, LeBron James and 4 lottery picks in the trade I wouldn't feel AS bad.

td used to be the best of all time.......anyone who saw timmys playoff play this past season saw an old, none jumping, cant guard anyone anymore..when i guy like tyson chandler(duncans idle) turns duncan into a slightly above avg. player, it should ya tell ya.........timmy isnt the best of all time...id take west right now over duncan...west can score from anywhere, whenever he wants, even with duncan guarding him.....

samikeyp
07-31-2008, 01:10 PM
td used to be the best of all time.......anyone who saw timmys playoff play this past season saw an old, none jumping, cant guard anyone anymore..when i guy like tyson chandler(duncans idle) turns duncan into a slightly above avg. player, it should ya tell ya.........timmy isnt the best of all time...id take west right now over duncan...west can score from anywhere, whenever he wants, even with duncan guarding him.....

TD is still the best PF of all time.

baseline bum
07-31-2008, 01:12 PM

:lmao

You hear that, RC? Tim Duncan for David West. Do it.

DPG21920
07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
You guys would be upset if they traded Duncan for Lebron right now? Assuming they could extend Lebron past his current contract.

tp2021
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I would become a football guy.

Spurblood
07-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Hell if that would ever happen ill bust a Virginia Tech Masacre up in the Spurs Front office and maybe some in the locker room hahahahahaha

ducks
07-31-2008, 04:31 PM
what if duncan demanded out and spurs traded him

who would remain a true spur fan

midgetonadonkey
07-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Let me get you guys a reality check...

Without Duncan... there's no fucking Trophies.... there's no spoiled Spurs fans, which is probably the best thing that could happen to the city.

it's like oh ok.. 4 championships, he can leave and we'll be fine..

fuck that.. and I'm not a TDOF, or I'd have his picture on my avatar.. so stfu rocketfan.

The truth is, we should be rejoicing the time he's here..
because before we know it we'll be the next Hawks.
What I'm saying, which won't happen is that if he leaves, he leaves for a reason... and well the Spurs are just never the same Spurs.

now with that said..

Without the 4 trophies, I'm still a die hard Spurs fan. I'm not a fan just because of the trophies.

Fucking bandwagoner.

I. Hustle
07-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Lets pretend we could get Jordan in his prime for TD. Then lets pretend that we can breath fire. THEN lets pretend we can fly. OH COOL we can fly! Isn’t this fun. Hey let’s pretend that we can breathe fire too. WWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE /breathe fire WWWEEEEEEEEEEEEE Lets pretend to get ice cream too. OH NOES My ice cream is melting because I can breathe fire! WHY DID I PRETEND TO BREATHE FIRE??!!! Can we pretend like I never asked to pretend to breathe fire?

kupogrey
07-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Hakeem left as a free agent, didn't he?

Tim Duncan is the reason we even have a team in SA. Without him coming out and saying he would re-sign if the San Antonio voters approved the construction of the AT&T Center, we're probably in the same boat Seattle fan is. Dude turned down the chance to play with Grant Hill in Orlando when Hill was a first ballot HOF'er to stay with an aging Spurs team that looked like it didn't have much of a future outside of him. Duncan showed monster loyalty to this team when he could have gone back to being a media darling on the East Coast. He turned down the chance to have a guaranteed trip to the Finals every season in Orlando. Duncan+Hill was going to be the new Eastern Conference glamor team; a dynasty for the new decade. Instead he stayed here and formed one for our city.

There's no way I'd ever forgive this team if they showed any disloyalty to Tim. Thankfully, Pop will never let it happen. Duncan should retire a Spur unless he specifically asks to be traded or signs elsewhere.

was traded to toronto.

tim duncan might be a hall of famer, but why would you put him ahead of your team?

Wouldn't it suck if he did request a trade and the spurs received peanuts for him??

Sense
07-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Without the 4 trophies, I'm still a die hard Spurs fan. I'm not a fan just because of the trophies.

Fucking bandwagoner.

gfy

anakha
07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that this thread has become an argument over what constitutes a real Spurs fan or not. :lol

jay014
07-31-2008, 08:29 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/291370/gervinfleer9.JPG Still a Spurs fan. Silver & Black til I die :flag: players come and go

ThunderStix®
07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I would be a sad thing to see, and I'm not even a Spurs fan.

The Spurs wouldn't be the Spurs without Duncan.

BTW, it wouldn't be sad if the Pistons got him :lol ;)

baseline bum
07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
was traded to toronto.

tim duncan might be a hall of famer, but why would you put him ahead of your team?

Wouldn't it suck if he did request a trade and the spurs received peanuts for him??

It was a sign and trade. Olajuwon wanted to go to Toronto. Like I said above, if Duncan were to request a trade or sign elsewhere, nothing would change in my loyalty to the Spurs (or to Duncan either). If the team just decided to move him for a young prospect at the end of his career, then I'd be pissed.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/291370/gervinfleer9.JPG Still a Spurs fan. Silver & Black til I die :flag: players come and go

Different situation with Ice. His drug use was a major problem back then, wasn't it? Thankfully, he kicked it, and he's one of the coolest guys I've ever known.

jay014
07-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Duncan smokes weed in the off season

baseline bum
07-31-2008, 09:02 PM
weed isn't addictive or damaging the way coke is

samikeyp
07-31-2008, 09:12 PM
what if duncan demanded out and spurs traded him

who would remain a true spur fan

me...been that way since 74

samikeyp
07-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Lets pretend we could get Jordan in his prime for TD. Then lets pretend that we can breath fire. THEN lets pretend we can fly. OH COOL we can fly! Isn’t this fun. Hey let’s pretend that we can breathe fire too. WWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE /breathe fire WWWEEEEEEEEEEEEE Lets pretend to get ice cream too. OH NOES My ice cream is melting because I can breathe fire! WHY DID I PRETEND TO BREATHE FIRE??!!! Can we pretend like I never asked to pretend to breathe fire?

:lmao

awesome.

jay014
07-31-2008, 09:18 PM
me...been that way since 74

Same here

spursnatic
07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
I would seriously fucking have a nervous breakdown, this offseason has been bad enough. I don't know how much more I could handle, please don't talk about this? That would be terrible, I don't think they could ever get anything good in return for him either. Well they could get some really good players, but they would never make the impact that he has in his years here. I don't think anyone in history has ever came in and did what he has done for this franchise? And the good players that they could get in return would most likely not be a team player like he is. There are too many players in this league that care way too much about their egos than winning. That's is exactly why I think there will never be another Tim Duncan in the NBA after he is gone! "WE LOVE YOU DUNCAN":flag::lobt2:!!!!

underdawg
07-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Interesting hypothetical, but the reality is that the Spurs would gain little by trading Duncan - just like trading Tony or Manu. They are undervalued due to the Spurs team concept - our players just don't stand out like they would on another team. Hakeem requested a trade because the Rockets weren't that receptive to him coming back. It's hard to speculate, but I think Duncan has had a more satisfying career and would probably be less likely to hang around after his talents have diminished to a point where he's not productive to his satisfaction. It's not hard to believe that Tim retires on top and he's in a great situation to do so - why would he want to go somewhere else? He's an ultimate team player and name another team where he could find that same dynamic.

dbreiden83080
07-31-2008, 11:36 PM
TD is not going anywhere unless he asks the Spurs to deal him and that is not going to happen unlesss Management just blows everything sky high. As long as Duncan is not planning on playing way way past his prime, which i doubt he is, then it would be an embarassment to the Spurs Front Office, for him not to retire a Spur. He needs to retire, get a statue outside the arena along with D-Rob and call it a day. :toast

underdawg
07-31-2008, 11:42 PM
TD is not going anywhere unless he asks the Spurs to deal him and that is not going to happen unlesss Management just blows everything sky high. As long as Duncan is not planning on playing way way past his prime, which i doubt he is, then it would be an embarassment to the Spurs Front Office, for him not to retire a Spur. He needs to retire, get a statue outside the arena along with D-Rob and call it a day. :toast

The only way Timmy would be traded is if:

A. He wanted more money
B. He wanted more exposure
C. He wanted a better opportunity to win a ring
D. He felt the organization didn't respect him
E. He was a problem to the team and management needed to get rid of him

I know we're playing hypothetical and how would we react, but it's not even feasible because there is no other reason I can think of besides what I just listed of why he would ever be traded. We might as well ask the more likely hypothetical of would you still root for the Spurs if they changed cities.

wijayas
07-31-2008, 11:52 PM

This is how the Spurs should treat Tim and D-Rob. :toast :toast :toast :toast :toast :toast :toast :toast

dbreiden83080
07-31-2008, 11:53 PM
This is how the Spurs should treat Tim and D-Rob. :toast :toast :toast :toast :toast :toast :toast :toast

Yep and i believe they will too. Just waiting for the day Timmy retires and they will do that, they better. They both sure deserve it. :toast

Sense
08-01-2008, 12:30 AM
I think what you should all consider is that..

San Antonio is lucky, really...

I mean we got the best organization in the Nba, and with Championships..... in the place where no one would expect it..

San Antonio is very lucky to have gone through what they have..

DPG21920
08-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Yep and i believe they will too. Just waiting for the day Timmy retires and they will do that, they better. They both sure deserve it. :toast

This day will suck.

dbreiden83080
08-01-2008, 12:34 AM
I think what you should all consider is that..

San Antonio is lucky, really...

I mean we got the best organization in the Nba, and with Championships..... in the place where no one would expect it..

San Antonio is very lucky to have gone through what they have..

Oh without a doubt, these are the glory years. In this era the Spurs won 4 titles in a 9 year span that is a amazing. Only a handful of teams in NBA history have ever enjoyed that kind of sustained success. The truth is the odds of the Spurs ever having that kind of run again when TD calls it a career are slim to none.

DPG21920
08-01-2008, 12:37 AM
We will have the money, but Tim Duncan can not really ever be "replaced". We can still win titles because the Spurs have a great front office and coach, not to mention 20+ million dollars to spend when TD is gone.

underdawg
08-01-2008, 12:40 AM
This day will suck.

True, but not much worse than when the Admiral retired. The thing that offsets the loss is the legacy that remains and that is the hope of the Spurs fan. That legacy is also what pisses me off when knucklehead Spurs fans get upset that we didn't do more to bring in Artest. He's not a Spur type player and he'll never be close to that. Winning is the ultimate goal, but I'm stubborn to think that the Spurs organization values more than just winning as part of their program.

dbreiden83080
08-01-2008, 12:42 AM
We will have the money, but Tim Duncan can not really ever be "replaced". We can still win titles because the Spurs have a great front office and coach, not to mention 20+ million dollars to spend when TD is gone.

A lot of teams have money, Bulls, Knicks, but having that legendary great player, to build around comes along maybe once every 20 years or so. Spurs are likely in for a lot of lean years once #21 decides it is time to hang it up.

DPG21920
08-01-2008, 12:43 AM
True, but not much worse than when the Admiral retired. The thing that offsets the loss is the legacy that remains and that is the hope of the Spurs fan. That legacy is also what pisses me off when knucklehead Spurs fans get upset that we didn't do more to bring in Artest. He's not a Spur type player and he'll never be close to that. Winning is the ultimate goal, but I'm stubborn to think that the Spurs organization values more than just winning as part of their program.

It was a sad day when D-Rob retired, but it was palatable because we had Tim Duncan. For example, if Ian turns into a David Robinson type player by the time Tim retires, it will make things easier to swallow.

The Spurs do value character guys, but also winning. They did have Dennis Rodman on their team. If you can have the majority of good guys that is great, but winning is important and you must take some risks.

underdawg
08-01-2008, 12:51 AM
It was a sad day when D-Rob retired, but it was palatable because we had Tim Duncan. For example, if Ian turns into a David Robinson type player by the time Tim retires, it will make things easier to swallow.

The Spurs do value character guys, but also winning. They did have Dennis Rodman on their team. If you can have the majority of good guys that is great, but winning is important and you must take some risks.

winning is important, but character is important as well. Rodman didn't get traded for Will F'n Purdue because he wasn't a good player. Rodman was a great player for the Spurs and I'm sure Artest would be as well, but at the end of the day he wouldn't last with us just like Rodman didn't either.

DPG21920
08-01-2008, 12:59 AM
A lot of teams have money, Bulls, Knicks, but having that legendary great player, to build around comes along maybe once every 20 years or so. Spurs are likely in for a lot of lean years once #21 decides it is time to hang it up.

Well the Spurs, unlike the Bulls and Knicks have the management in place now to use their money wisely and keep the team competitive. I know you can not replace Duncan with Duncan, but you can get other players who can win.

underdawg
08-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Well the Spurs, unlike the Bulls and Knicks have the management in place now to use their money wisely and keep the team competitive. I know you can not replace Duncan with Duncan, but you can get other players who can win.

and that's the thing that kills me about most Spurs fans. They think that Duncan alone is the reason we've won rings. There's been a lot of other things that have contributed to our championships - selling players on taking less money for the better of the team is one of the best things our management has been able to do. They've created an environment of loyalty, fairness and an understood commitment to winning that most franchises lack. It's not about spending a bunch of money on free agents or trading key players for a "big time" player. It's about creating an atmosphere of dedication and teamwork that has made this franchise a succesful franchise. We're a small market team that will never be "big spenders." I used to hate Pop, but without him we would not be a contender every year like we are. Take away Pop and we wouldn't stand a chance once Duncan retires and yes I know Pop will retire from coaching the same year, but he'll still be involved with the team in some regard.

m33p0
08-02-2008, 01:08 AM
was traded to toronto.

new york knicks. see what happens when you trade away the face of your franchise? karma is a bitch.

tonyisamazing
08-02-2008, 11:11 AM
I would be in deppression cause teh spurs wouldn't win anymore

wisnub
08-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Duncan is the first and most important reason I like Spurs. His fundamental, focus, comitment to excellence and class help me make a better person. I treat his quotes as my motivational too: The day when no one cheer for you is when the player is made. If he got traded then I think Spurs is an old boring team, no offence. But Manu start to become my idol too....damn im inconsistent

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 01:46 PM
We would probabily shit in our pants! and he wont be traded he will retire a spur!

remingtonbo2001
08-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Let's not and say we did.

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Let's not and say we did.

We Wont!!!;)

bavarianworks
08-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I like our future,

Parker (28)
Fill
Fill
Ian (24)
Splitter (24)

In about 3 years, not too shabby..

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 03:00 PM
These Threads are getting pretty lame he won't be traded and parker ore manu neether so quit posting those threads!!!!!!:rolleyes

Newton
08-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Yep.