PDA

View Full Version : Its an odd number year--will we see this scene again?

Man of Steel
07-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Gotta believe.

I know other teams have gotten better.

I hated to lose Brent.

Other big name free agents have gone elsewhere.

Still--as Spurs fans, we gotta still believe that we will see this scene once again play out in June, 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La6BD7uqeg0

mytespurs
07-30-2008, 10:57 PM
That would be nice wouldn't it???!!! :king We'll just have to wait and see.

vander
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
not a chance

Showtime24 LAKERS
07-30-2008, 11:45 PM
:lmao

Maybe in your :sleep
but certainly not reality.

your_pimp
07-31-2008, 05:12 AM
Not the same luck as in years past...

Not this coming season...

You are done for good, no more "every other year" titles

wijayas
07-31-2008, 05:28 AM
The blessings of the odd year. I believe!

I. Hustle
07-31-2008, 07:32 AM

Man if only we could match the success of the Phoenix Suns:(

ambchang
07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
The Spurs have as good a chance as any other team to win it all this year.

Offense:

The offense still revolves around Duncan, and if last year's playoffs shows anything, Duncan still brings it during the playoffs. All this talk about him on a decline proved to be foolish.

Parker is still a blur, and he has been improving year over year. His outside shot is not something that you could rely on, but it is effective and stops other teams from collapsing the lane.

Ginobili is like a wild stallion, he can shoot from outside, and he can still cut through the lane with the best of them. His wildness on the offense is what adds a hint of unpredicatability to the Spurs offense, and he is as clutch as they come.

The Spurs seem to be lacking a few shooters. Horry is all but gone, and Barry is gone. Bonner can shoot but can do little else, Tolliver is probably not even going to make the team, Finley is streaky as hell, and Hill isn't that great. The only reliable shooters are Bowen and Ginobili (well, maybe Duncan). The offense would have to change up a bit to incorporate a more free-flowing offense, especially with interior passers like Duncan and Oberto around. Parker/Ginobili and Duncan pick-and-rolls should be unstoppable. If all fails, pass to Duncan / Ginobili for one-on-ones.

Defense:

As much as the Spurs "sucked" on defense last year, they were still 3rd on PPGA, and 5th on FG%. While this is not really Spurs standards, this isn't terrible. With youthful newcomers this year, the Spurs can add the athleticism into the defensive mix. Also, the Spurs held the Suns and Lakers to way below their normal scoring efficiency in the playoffs, showing that they can still bring it when time comes.

Of course there is luck involved, if the Spurs can avoid injuries, and not worry about seedings and play the big 3 heavy minutes in the middle of the season, they have a solid shot at the championship.

JBIIRockets
07-31-2008, 09:04 AM
Yep, a Texas team may win the title in an odd-numbered year again. It just may not be the team that nba fans are used to seeing achieving it.

rj215
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM

Yeah but I guess that's better than the Suns 0 titles every year...

Man of Steel
07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Remember 1999--beginning of the year when the team started the season so badly that people were asking for Pop to be fired.

Gotta believe, Spurs fans--even when things don't appear so rosy.

I may be in the minority.

We can choose to be positive or negative.

I say we need to believe...

XTah
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I believe. I say the Spurs are among the 4 true contenders for the title, along with the Lakers, Hornets, and Celtics. I'd almost put the Rockets up there, except you know that either Mcgrady or Yao or both will be hurt.

JBIIRockets
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM
I believe. I say the Spurs are among the 4 true contenders for the title, along with the Lakers, Hornets, and Celtics. I'd almost put the Rockets up there, except you know that either Mcgrady or Yao or both will be hurt.

The Rockets are better than the Hornets if Yao stays healthy.

jayc23
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM

where is your scrubby teams luck... never in any season... your always done.

Bartleby
07-31-2008, 04:40 PM

XTah
07-31-2008, 04:50 PM

If everybody stays in the whole NBA stays healthy, I'm a little bit biased but here's my ranking in order of best chance to win the NBA championship.
1. Spurs
2. Celtics
3. Lakers
4. Rockets
5. Hornets

So yes they are better, I believe, if Yao stays healthy, but that's a huge if.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-31-2008, 05:32 PM
In 2007 everyone said the Spurs couldn't win the title, that the Mavs and Suns were younger and getting better while the Spurs weren't willing to spend the money needed to complete the puzzle (the long 3). That season turned out alright. A lot of things have to go your way in order to win an NBA title, and the Spurs have been blessed 4 times already. I always pictured Tim with 5 rings for some reason so I think another title is in the future.

duncan228
07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
I always pictured Tim with 5 rings for some reason so I think another title is in the future.

I think Duncan is far from done, he's got at least one more in him. I'm hoping for a couple more. And if there's never a repeat and they come every other year that's okay with me. As long as he gets them.