PDA

View Full Version : Artest will only join Rockets with a commitment

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Ron Artest said that he was excited about going to the Rockets but would join them only if they are committed to him, the Houston Chronicle is reporting.

Artest's comments about commitment stem from Yao Ming’s wariness of the trade. Ming is happy with the deal, but is concerned for team chemistry.

“We’ve still got to make sure there’s still a commitment,” Artest told the Sacramento Bee. “That’s the main thing. When I speak to the powers-that-be of the Houston Rockets organization, we’re going to find out how much they really want me there.”

“For some reason, I like (Artest),” Yao said. “Because in the games we play against him, I hate him.

“When I text-messaged with Luis (Scola), we talked about team chemistry. That’s only what worries us. We worry about the new attitude to the team. We are adding talent to the team, and we need that, but building team chemistry is important. This is not bad. I don’t mean he is not welcome to Houston. But a new player always needs some time.

“There’s worry. Obviously, yes. ... Hopefully, he’s not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands. ... I have to find a way to talk to him and see what we can do as a basketball team. He has a history, but we know he is a physical player. He is a good player. He really can help us.”

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53818/20080731/artest_will_only_join_rockets_if_he_gets_a_commitm ent/

:lmao and so it begins

I posted it here coz i knew the Rockets trolls where annoying the crap out of alot of Spurs fans here :smokin

Indazone
07-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Really wow..I think you are a little late on this though.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102239

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
yeh i just saw that :lol

robbie380
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
yeah this story isn't accurate. if you listened to artest on 1140AM he broke down everything. it's insane how much shit is getting twisted. artest said he is yao's soldier and that if yao didn't want him there he wouldn't come. he also said he is going to china to support team america and talk to yao. he has also implied that he has already spoke to yao and got things worked out. he reiterated over and over again that he was taking a backseat to yao and t-mac and that he will do anything yao wants him to do. who knows if that will change after the season starts but for now this is a dead story that is just continuing to get spread around as reality.

1Parker1
07-31-2008, 09:56 AM
How can he stop the trade? Does he have that clause in his contract to veto a trade he doesn't like?

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-31-2008, 09:59 AM
How can he stop the trade? Does he have that clause in his contract to veto a trade he doesn't like?

Could he just refuse to report like Zo did a couple of years ago to get to Miami?

This might be the thing that gets me to pay attention to sports reports here in Houston again. The police blotter too.

I. Hustle
07-31-2008, 10:08 AM
I heard Yao say "Hey Ron tell me how my ass tasteses"

robbie380
07-31-2008, 10:11 AM

he isn't going to stop the trade. he wants to be in houston. again his words are getting twisted. he was stating that if yao and t-mac didn't want him on the team then he wouldn't go. he stated he wanted to talk to yao and t-mac and make sure everything was cool. he wants to be in houston. he wants to play with yao and t-mac and be coached by adelman. he stated over and over again that he was yao's soldier and he would do whatever yao wanted him to do in an hour long segment on sacramento radio last night. he also stated that he doesn't need an extention now and that it could certainly wait. who knows if that will change quickly but as it stands now he is very happy with the trade.

Mr. Body
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Artest isn't a BMOC type -- he's a thug lieutenant type. He'll fall in line behind good citizens and strong leaders. He should be fine in Houston.

The Truth #6
07-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Udoka is going to earn his paycheck when he has to guard Artest. Mason on Artest makes me laugh.

GuerillaBlack
07-31-2008, 10:24 AM
he isn't going to stop the trade. he wants to be in houston. again his words are getting twisted. he was stating that if yao and t-mac didn't want him on the team then he wouldn't go. he stated he wanted to talk to yao and t-mac and make sure everything was cool. he wants to be in houston. he wants to play with yao and t-mac and be coached by adelman. he stated over and over again that he was yao's soldier and he would do whatever yao wanted him to do in an hour long segment on sacramento radio last night. he also stated that he doesn't need an extention now and that it could certainly wait. who knows if that will change quickly but as it stands now he is very happy with the trade.

"I'm a Yao Ming soldier babyyy!!!!!!!"

Artest's exact words last night on 1140 AM in Sacramento.

leemajors
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
yeah this story isn't accurate. if you listened to artest on 1140AM he broke down everything. it's insane how much shit is getting twisted. artest said he is yao's soldier and that if yao didn't want him there he wouldn't come. he also said he is going to china to support team america and talk to yao. he has also implied that he has already spoke to yao and got things worked out. he reiterated over and over again that he was taking a backseat to yao and t-mac and that he will do anything yao wants him to do. who knows if that will change after the season starts but for now this is a dead story that is just continuing to get spread around as reality.

yeah artest never contradicts himself or changes moods/minds from one minute to the next. he's not crazy.

Supergirl
07-31-2008, 10:28 AM
ROckets fans can sugarcoat this all they want, but here's a guy who is sociopathic -- very little remorse about what he's done in the past, very little interest in changing his behavior or way of being --and who, from a strictly basketball standpoint, has shown over and over again that he wants to be The Man on whatever team he plays on. Artest is not a Bowen-type player who is comfortable being a defensive stopper and taking wide open 3's when they become available. He has said it himself, and shown with his actions, that he wants to be the go to guy offensively as well. And on a team with Yao and McGrady, he's not gonna be that guy. And he shouldn't, because out of those 3, he's the least creative and talented offensively.

I think this is a bad, bad idea. Why is Artest still getting jobs when Sprewell isn't? They both have same liabilities, they both think they're a lot better than they are, and they've both shown again and again they can't play on a TEAM.

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Very interesting comments from Ron. From what I can gather he doesn't want to be used to get a championship and then thrown away the next season.......which is exactly what will happen if he comes to HOU. No way on this planet do the Rockets extend Ron Artest to a multi-year deal worth > $10 million per season (which is what he'll want).

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
yeah artest never contradicts himself or changes moods/minds from one minute to the next. he's not crazy.

I tried to tell this clown yesterday never to take what Ron says at face value. He's still a little kid and clearly has no idea about Ron's history.

nil.ball
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Honestly I feel sorry for Artest and how he is portraited. He's a straight up great guy, and people, media always twist his words. Even on today's espn, he was completely quoted out of context.

You should have listened yesterday's radio show on KHTK-1140 and hear what he really said then compare to what media reported.

hater
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
artest will be fine in houston. he will make them better but not contenders.

the interesting comments are from yao. maybe too much chinese beer?

nil.ball
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
artest will be fine in houston. he will make them better but not contenders.

the interesting comments are from yao. maybe too much chinese beer?

Yeah I agree, even I am a solid rockets fan, Yao is comments is a little out of line. We honestly believe this idiot who wrote the article imposed his words onto Yao. That guy was a known tool. This whole thing is a propaganda.

xtremesteven33
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
U mean to tell me that Yao Ming likes Artest. dude Artest is a punk. i dont think any team contending for a championship would like him on thier team.

maybe except the Lakers...haha

wildbill2u
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah I agree, even I am a solid rockets fan, Yao is comments is a little out of line. We honestly believe this idiot who wrote the article imposed his words onto Yao. That guy was a known tool. This whole thing is a propaganda.

Time to buy some popcorn and watch this soap opera play out. :rolleyes

nil.ball
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
if you listened to the radio, what he really said goes something like this

"Yao is right, I understand why he is worried. But we should have talked first. It really hit my soft spot when he mentioned the brawl. But ron is not going to change, coming from where I come from. If someone punch me, i am still going to punch it back. But me and yao are cool, I am yao's soldier. If yao wants me to jump off a building I am going to jump off a building. If they (rockets) wants me to come off the bench, I will be the waterboy."

There are more but it's more gross
"if Yao wants me to sit out for first 6 games, dress up like the cheerleader, with pom-pom, I will do it."

and, something about if yao ask him to wear thong going up dunk contest etc...basically, what ever yao says, he will do it.

what can you ask for more?
Yet media has to quote the part he said he's never gonna change.

Just to show you how everything can be manipulated.

hater
07-31-2008, 11:18 AM

I just posted somewhere else that I think his commie handlers told Yao to say that. damn bastards

Kori Ellis
07-31-2008, 11:33 AM
What's funny is so many people bashing the Rockets for getting Artest.

I think the Spurs tried to get Artest too, but they just didn't have enough to offer.

xtremesteven33
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Artest doesnt fill a NEED for the Rockets. all they need is to stay healthy. if anything they could need an upgrade at PG.

Artest wouldve been a shoe in for the Spurs.

weebo
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
He'll either make them better or make them worse.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2008, 11:39 AM

Artest wouldve been a shoe in for the Spurs.

Didn't you just say this?

i dont think any team contending for a championship would like him on thier team.

I don't think the Rockets needed Artest, but I think it's funny how many Spurs fans bash the Rockets for taking on a "crazy" troublemaker. I just wonder if they would have felt the same about him coming to the Spurs.

T Park
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
The guy is a full on whack job.

Just look at his response back to Yao Ming.

Hell yao Ming doesn't want him on the team, and I don't blame him.

xtremesteven33
07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
many spurs fans wouldve been skeptical. theres always going to be fans who will disagree with the FO decisions. many people here think they are smarter than the Spurs FO.

he wouldve been a shoe in in regards of filling a need as far as X's and O's is concernced. his attitude though is a different story.

50 cent
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
It's pretty funny how Yao gets over to China and he starts running his mouth like he's some tough guy, but once he's back in the NBA playing against these guys, he's a big gaping axe wound.

Rynospursfan
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
He'll either make them better or make them worse.

Last year the Rockets were 57-0 when outscoring their opponents.

GSH
07-31-2008, 11:58 AM
ROckets fans can sugarcoat this all they want, but here's a guy who is sociopathic -- very little remorse about what he's done in the past, very little interest in changing his behavior or way of being --and who, from a strictly basketball standpoint, has shown over and over again that he wants to be The Man on whatever team he plays on. Artest is not a Bowen-type player who is comfortable being a defensive stopper and taking wide open 3's when they become available. He has said it himself, and shown with his actions, that he wants to be the go to guy offensively as well. And on a team with Yao and McGrady, he's not gonna be that guy. And he shouldn't, because out of those 3, he's the least creative and talented offensively.

I think this is a bad, bad idea. Why is Artest still getting jobs when Sprewell isn't? They both have same liabilities, they both think they're a lot better than they are, and they've both shown again and again they can't play on a TEAM.

Don't underestimate him because you don't like him. When he's on the court, taking care of business, he is a damn good basketball player. Yao is a 10-foot-tall, all-star center - and T-Mac is a scoring machine who has consistently been among the league leaders in scoring. So if you say that Artest is the least of the three, that's not much of an insult. Artest can put up points, and he's a tough sumbitch. His talent is second only to the top-tier players in the league. Sprewell was a cancer. Artest is... okay, Artest is a cancer too. But he's more like a benign brain tumor. Even if it doesn't hurt you all the time, you always have to worry that it will flare up when you're driving across a bridge.

For the Spurs, the things that I found significant about this story is that Yao was consulting with Scola about team chemistry, and that Artest was deferring to Yao as the team leader rather than T-Mac. Obviously Yao and Scola get it - that it takes more than five talented guys on the floor to win a championship. It isn't surprising that even though Scola was a "rookie" last year, he is the one that Yao talks to about team chemistry. Not surprising, but ominous for the other teams in the division.

There's no doubt that the Rockets have the horsepower. The question is, will Yao and Scola be able to have that kind of influence on the Rockets, or will T-Mac and Artest compete to see which one does the most chest-pounding? Right now Artest is saying the right things. But if he goes off his meds and starts listening to the voices telling him the guys with the little whistles are Satan's minions?

It won't hurt their chemistry building efforts having a guy named Barry on the bench. I haven't looked at their roster recently, but it wouldn't shock me if they were to sign Horry for a minimum contract. That's not a commentary on the Spurs letting either one of them "get away". It's just that those two guys would get a lot of respect, and give a lot of extra weight to their team-building efforts. If nothing else, none of their young guys would pick up bad habits on the bench.

On the other hand: T-Mac decides to prove it's his team, and not Yao's. Artest discovers that Houston's gentlemen's clubs are more fun than going home and getting some sleep. Steve Francis stays healthy, and Adelman actually plays him. (See T-Mac above.) Carl Landry signs in Europe. Yao and Scola are worn out from the Olympics, and both get so sick of the constant bickering on the team that they tell their agents to start looking overseas for next season.

It could happen.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I tried to tell this clown yesterday never to take what Ron says at face value. He's still a little kid and clearly has no idea about Ron's history.

yeah i am a little kid who had to explain to you that you were using the wrong words in the other thread where you never responded to my question about what exactly did the rockets really risk by attaining artest.

again the word you are looking for to describe artest is mercurial. you can take what he says at face value when he says it. he means what he says at that moment. the only problem is that his feelings shift like the wind from moment to moment.

anyhow...keep being a troll and calling me stupid.

robbie380
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
It's pretty funny how Yao gets over to China and he starts running his mouth like he's some tough guy, but once he's back in the NBA playing against these guys, he's a big gaping axe wound.

for fucks sake it's like some people just make something up in their head and just continue to run with it. 50 cent you should rename yourself G. W. Bush.

Man of Steel
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Actually--I would not blame Ron if he did make those comments.

Yao was out of line to make these comments to a reporter in the first place. And I am sure he was probably baited by a reporter who got Yao to agree with these comments.

Still--I'd be upset if I was Ron and people who degrade him for this really need to put themselves in Ron's shoes.

Its easy to make fun of Ron because of his past and his somewhat unorthodox lifestyle. Still--his teammates should either accept him or voice their concerns behind closed doors and not to a reporter for God's sake.

T Park
07-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Are people seriously making excuses for him going into the stands in Detroit?

Wow....

Man of Steel
07-31-2008, 12:25 PM
No excuse going into the stands.

None.

Zip.

Nada.

nkdlunch
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Yao making those comments from 7,000 miles away :lol

Walton Buys Off Me
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
You mean chemistry is important in winning championships?!

Ron Artest is one nipple ring away from being Buffalo Bill in Silence Of the Lambs.....no thanks.

bigfan
07-31-2008, 01:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3512419

Artest is such a dirtbag and I am sooo glad we didnt sign him. Its just a matter of time before his attitude gets him in serious shit.

The Truth #6
07-31-2008, 01:05 PM
There's nothing wrong with what Yao said. If Artest can't handle it, then there's no reason to go further with this experiment and have it explode later in the season. If Yao wants to establish some structure for his team, considering Artest might join, then it's a safe move. It sounds like Artest is cool with things. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

WildcardManu
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
1 year lease to see how well they mesh. Hell, I'll take the risk.

rj215
07-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I was all for Ron Ron coming to the Spurs somehow but man....that guy's a few beers short of a 6 pack.

50 cent
07-31-2008, 01:47 PM
for fucks sake it's like some people just make something up in their head and just continue to run with it. 50 cent you should rename yourself G. W. Bush.

When has Yao ever had a set of testicles in the NBA?

Maybe your should rename yourself the Iraqi Information Minister.

benefactor
07-31-2008, 01:47 PM
If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed.

We've still got to make sure there's still a commitment. That's the main thing, is to make sure there's still a commitment. When I speak to the powers-that-be of the Houston Rockets' organization, we're going to find out how much they really want me there. We'll find out. I'm still waiting to find out if this is just a trade or if this is like a long-term commitment-type thing. I haven't spoken to anybody yet. I'm still waiting.

So for one...he is justifying the brawl and basically saying that if another drink got thrown at him he would head into the stands again. For two...he wants something from the Rockets showing that they are committed to him. I don't know what he expects, since the Rockets are over the cap and can't sign him to any kind of long term deal...and I doubt Houston wants this to be much more than an experiment anyway. We saw what happened in Sacto when he began to feel they were no longer committed to him. How long before Houston gives him that feeling?

Its even more troubling that he says he's, "Yao's soldier" but he is "still ghetto"....because there is zero consistency in those statements. All he has shown is that he is still the same crazy ass Ron Ron...and for that reason I never wanted him anywhere near my team.

coopdogg3
07-31-2008, 01:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3512419

"Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands," Yao said, according to the Chronicle.

When asked about those comments, Artest said Yao had bought into "all the propaganda" about him, according to The Sacramento Bee.

"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," Artest said, according to the report. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about.

If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed.

The agreed-to deal sending Artest to Houston cannot become official until Aug. 14. And Artest, who has one year remaining on his contract, also said he was looking for a long-term deal from the Rockets, according to the report.

"We've still got to make sure there's still a commitment [from the Rockets]," Artest said, according to the Bee. "That's the main thing, is to make sure there's still a commitment. When I speak to the powers-that-be of the Houston Rockets' organization, we're going to find out how much they really want me there. We'll find out. I'm still waiting to find out if this is just a trade or if this is like a long-term commitment-type thing. I haven't spoken to anybody yet. I'm still waiting."

Ron still sounds like Ron to me. Houston, enjoy the Ron Artest-era.

Bruno
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Artest is a heck of a player but he has the ability to destroy a team by himself. he destroyed Pacers that where a damn good team.
Rockets aren't the most solid team in the league mentally wise. If Artest goes wild, it could turn into a huge mess.
The most likely case is Artest being a good soldier but, unlike a team like Spurs, Rockets won't be able to handle Artest if he enters in crazy Ron mode.

T Park
07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Im still ghetto, hes never played with a "black" player?

Oh my god.

Thank you Spurs for not trading for this whacko.

peacemaker885
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Artest is a heck of a player but he has the ability to destroy a team by himself. he destroyed Pacers that where a damn good team.
Rockets aren't the most solid team in the league mentally wise. If Artest goes wild, it could turn into a huge mess.
The most likely case is Artest being a good soldier but, unlike a team like Spurs, Rockets won't be able to handle Artest if he enters in crazy Ron mode.

Hell yeah! Pop will bench that bitch.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
I really don't get the big blow back about Yao's comments. He expressed some concern over the fact that Ron's been a headache at some point to every team he's been with. Any player that would that would say they weren't worried about that is a damn liar or a damn fool. He could have kept that all out of the press and just said the PC thing and everyone and their dog would be laughing their asses off and calling him on that line of bullshit.

I can understand the need to feel like they need to make a splashy move. They stood pat as the Mavs and Suns made their big moves last year and joined them in a first round exit for the third year in a row. For the last two years my pre-season thought on the Rockets has been a single word -"unpredictable". With Yao and McGrady's talent and health issues they wouldn't surprise me one bit if they made it to the conference finals or were a lottery team. All this changes IMO is extending the extremes of the possibilities. If the stars align they're a dark horse championship team, and if things go to shit as badly as they could it'll be a hell of a trainwreck.

exstatic
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
You mean chemistry is important in winning championships?!

Ron Artest is one nipple ring away from being Buffalo Bill in Silence Of the Lambs.....no thanks.

:lmao

ChumpDumper
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
But ron is not going to change, coming from where I come from. If someone punch me, i am still going to punch it back.If someone throws a cup of ice at me, I'm going to start beating guys that had nothing to do with it.

Ocotillo
07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't think the Rockets needed Artest, but I think it's funny how many Spurs fans bash the Rockets for taking on a "crazy" troublemaker. I just wonder if they would have felt the same about him coming to the Spurs.

I recall it was a mixed bag here on whether posters wanted him or not on the Spurs. I would have loved to have gotten him but I understand the logic behind why he is a risk and this could blow up in the face of whoever landed him.

Sissiborgo
07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Well looks like Huston will be good this season!..

robbie380
07-31-2008, 06:41 PM
0rdYaMMVawc&e

wisnub
07-31-2008, 07:33 PM
“There’s worry. Obviously, yes. ... Hopefully, he’s not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands. ... I have to find a way to talk to him and see what we can do as a basketball team. He has a history, but we know he is a physical player. He is a good player. He really can help us.”

I was wondering if Artest will quit NBA and start MMA career. His nickname will Be Ron "Dickhead" Artest. Martial arts style: brawling and ..... I leave this space blank just in case that he change his mind and want to do something else

SenorSpur
07-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Im still ghetto, hes never played with a "black" player?

The mere fact that he would try to wear that comment as some sort of "badge of honor", just shows you how far out there he really is.

I mean this guy is truly a nut.

exstatic
07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
The only commitment that Ron Ron needs is to Shady Acres...

Spurblood
07-31-2008, 09:24 PM
i bet the gangstas in the hood used to bust a mean ol cap on his ass thats why he a nut head probablt fot dickslaped a lot

Spurblood
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
and he better watch his back before yao calls the Yakuza up his ass

exstatic
07-31-2008, 09:34 PM
i bet the gangstas in the hood used to bust a mean ol cap on his ass thats why he a nut head probablt fot dickslaped a lot

and he better watch his back before yao calls the Yakuza up his ass

So far, you've proved that you can't type, and you don't know the difference between Chinese and Japanese. Good start, n00b.

Spurblood
07-31-2008, 09:37 PM
So far, you've proved that you can't type, and you don't know the difference between Chinese and Japanese. Good start, n00b.

Is called slang homo....!!!

anakha
07-31-2008, 09:44 PM

There's a difference between slang and sounding like an absolute moron.

exstatic
07-31-2008, 11:26 PM

There's slang, and there's being ignorant of the fact that the Yakuza do not operate in China. They have their own criminal syndicate, The Triads.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2008, 11:34 PM

It's a Lakers fan pretending to be a Spurs fan.

Tmac&Luther
07-31-2008, 11:51 PM

When has Yao ever had a set of testicles in the NBA?

Yep that's why early on last season, Yao couldn't step up and call the entire team out over their lack of effort last season........oh wait, Yao did that. :rolleyes Please STFU, because you have no idea of what your talking about.

Yao didn't run overseas to talk about players, he's been over there trying to win for his country...He'd have no problem saying the same stuff over here, he has before..stop trying to make sh!t up.

anakha
08-01-2008, 12:47 AM
It's a Lakers fan pretending to be a Spurs fan.

Spurblood is KB24 MVP, if i got it correctly.

Kori Ellis
08-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Spurblood is KB24 MVP, if i got it correctly.

Correct and he's no longer here, so let's move back to the topic.

Thanks.

Spurblood02
08-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Correct and he's no longer here, so let's move back to the topic.

Thanks.

WTF im right here in action the one with the PW avatar is whack and your funny give you props

E20
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Faggot Laker fans. LMAO