PDA

View Full Version : Artest fumes at Yao's remark

TMTTRIO
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1122561.html

Artest fumes at Yao's remark
The potential new Rocket responds to fighting words
By Sam Amick - [email protected] ([email protected])
Published 12:00 am PDT Thursday, July 31, 2008
Don't start selling those Ron Artest jerseys in the Houston red just yet.

The small forward is exchanging words with his new teammates even before setting foot in his new locker room.

One day after the Kings and Rockets agreed in principle on a trade that would send Artest to Houston and bring Bobby Jackson, Donte Greene and a first-round pick Sacramento's way, Artest went on the defensive by phone to The Bee in response to comments made by Yao Ming. It was a most inauspicious start to this union, one that is no more than a handshake deal at the moment.

Because of the nature of Greene's contract, he cannot officially be traded until Aug. 14. In other words, there's plenty of time for the Rockets to rethink the acquisition of Ron-Ron.

It began when Yao was speaking to the Houston Chronicle in Nanjing, China, where his Team China is in the FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament, which leads up to the start of Olympic play Aug. 10 against Team USA. Yao expressed concerns over team chemistry with Artest and repeatedly referenced the infamous Detroit brawl in 2004 of which Artest was a huge part.

"Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands," Yao said.

Reached by phone a few hours later, Artest – who had spoken with Rockets shooting guard Tracy McGrady but not Yao since the news of the agreed-upon trade broke – said Yao is merely the latest person to believe "all the propaganda."

"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," said Artest, who will earn $7.4 million next season and be a free agent next summer. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about.
"If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed."

Which might not be considered a healthy revelation for the Rockets.

From the time Artest was known to be on the Kings' trading block, numerous sources close to the Rockets consistently cited chemistry as the premier concern of any potential Artest deal. McGrady is known to be the front-and-center star, so much so that some within the organization wondered how he would handle Artest's oft-complex and daunting presence. Then there was the typically understated Yao to consider, the global star who draws an even brighter spotlight than McGrady but whose personality is as passive as they come.

The perceived X-factor would be Rick Adelman, the former Kings coach entering his second season in Houston who has long been known for his ability to masterfully mesh the most difficult of personalities.

Only the Rockets' front office, which has remained publicly mum on the deal, knows if this invokes any sort of fear factor. There are other fears to consider, too, namely the reality that Yao and McGrady and a roster loaded with quality role players just isn't enough.

In the four seasons since Yao and McGrady were united, they have three first-round bowouts in the postseason and a playoff absence in 2006 to show for it. And even as so many surmised the Rockets could have been title contenders last postseason if Yao's season hadn't ended in February with a stress fracture in his left foot, there was the feeling more was needed.

But this, quite possibly, could be more than they were hoping for. Not only did Artest seem to take exception to Yao's brawl-related comments, he expressed a similar desire for a long-term commitment from Houston as he had with the Kings at the outset of their unofficial divorce in early July.

"We've still got to make sure there's still a commitment (from the Rockets)," Artest said. "That's the main thing, is to make sure there's still a commitment. When I speak to the powers-that-be of the Houston Rockets' organization, we're going to find out how much they really want me there. We'll find out. I'm still waiting to find out if this is just a trade or if this is like a long-term commitment-type thing. I haven't spoken to anybody yet. I'm still waiting."

Waiting for a call from Yao, mostly.

"I guess once Yao Ming approves (the deal), I'll be a Houston Rocket," Artest said. "(Yao) probably should've called me first. But at the same time, it's Yao Ming's team … .

"Whatever Yao Ming wants me to do, I'll be there. Whatever Tracy McGrady tells me to do, that's how it's going to go down. Ultimately, whatever Rick Adelman tells me to do is exactly what I'm going to do."

One day down in the waiting game. Fifteen to go.

Yep rocket fans, you've moved to the next level allright....and it turns out the GM Morey didn't even have Artest on his radar...oh this has great potential to be a disaster of Dennis Rodman porportions.....

Indazone
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102239 umm ditto

TMTTRIO
07-31-2008, 09:42 AM
oh sorry

I. Hustle
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
HA HA That's the way to get things started! Yeah the Rockets are going all the way :lol

Fabbs
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
He didn't "fume" at all.
Way to buy into interviewers Sam Ammicks attempts to get Ron to go off.
Yellow journalism attempt.

Get this crap out.

I. Hustle
07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Either way Yao questioned him before even getting to know him. IMO He started things off all wrong. I didn't know ghetto was a culture. What an idiot

robbie380
07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
He didn't "fume" at all.
Way to buy into interviewers Sam Ammicks attempts to get Ron to go off.
Yellow journalism attempt.

Get this crap out.

sam amick is driving me nuts. he is trying to make a story out of absolutely nothing. :toast to reporters being unbiased and not having agendas like amick :lol

Indazone
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
sigh..three thread on the same subject now. One in the Spurs section and two over here.

GuerillaBlack
07-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Either way Yao questioned him before even getting to know him. IMO He started things off all wrong. I didn't know ghetto was a culture. What an idiot

Uh...no. You should have heard Artest in an hour long interview on a Sacramento sports station last night. Dude was VERY happy and they even took calls from Houston.

I. Hustle
07-31-2008, 10:24 AM
I was talking about Yao questioning him. I guess they don’t have PR in China. He should have just BS’ed and said how excited he was and not said anything about team chemistry or going into the stands.

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
The funniest thing this season will be seeing the Rockette fans here try and defend Artest initially only to slowly turn on him when he inevitably drags the franchise down with him.

GaryJohnston
07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
The funniest thing this season will be seeing the Rockette fans here try and defend Artest initially only to slowly turn on him when he inevitably drags the franchise down with him.

Jealous much that you as a laker fan will not get to do that?

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Jealous of what? That we aren't adding a known sociopath and team-wrecker to our contending squad? I don't think so. The Lakers are still going to be better than the Rockets, with or without Ron.

Indazone
07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
I was talking about Yao questioning him. I guess they don’t have PR in China. He should have just BS’ed and said how excited he was and not said anything about team chemistry or going into the stands.

I don't think Yao should have done this in the press. Should have been a team thing behind closed doors. On the other hand, the reporter could have been a douche who spilled the beans on what should have been an off the record conversation.

DaDakota
07-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Yao in the team leader he is firing a warning shot across Ron's bow.....GOOD FOR HIM !!!

DD

JBIIRockets
07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
I think Sam Amick is making this story bigger than it needs to be.

nil.ball
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Just confirmed,
boxing match before training camp Sept 27. at Toyota Center Houston TX

Ron "Tru-Warrior" Artest vs Yao "Great Wall" Ming!

hater
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
stupid thing for Yao to say. maybe his commie handlers told him to do this.

I. Hustle
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Artest: I just want to be a chance to be a Yao soldier. I just want a job with a credible team.

Yao: A blow job is still a job dude. Tell me how my ass tastes.

Indazone
07-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Despite Yao's comments, Artest seems happy about future

By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

July 30, 2008, 11:52PM

http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/07/30/12240755/226xRefer.jpg
Elizabeth Dalziel AP

Yao Ming heard about the trade while he and Luis Scola were at a tourney in Nanjing, China.

It did not take long for the Rockets to get their first taste of the enigmatic, complicated and often contradictory nature of Ron Artest.
Artest, who will be dealt to the Rockets on Aug. 14 in a trade completed Tuesday afternoon, told the Sacramento Bee he was excited about going to the Rockets but would join them only if they are committed to him. Much of Artest’s hesitance was an apparent reaction to Yao Ming’s wariness of the trade, expressed Wednesday on the Chronicle’s Web site.
“We’ve still got to make sure there’s still a commitment,” Artest told the Bee. That’s the main thing. When I speak to the powers-that-be of the Houston Rockets organization, we’re going to find out how much they really want me there.”

Artest is in the last season of a contract worth $7.4 million, but Rockets officials cannot speak to him until the trade is complete.
There do not, however, seem to be any roadblocks to completing the deal once Donté Green, the prospect whom the Kings sought for Artest, is eligible to be traded Aug. 14. An NBA executive with knowledge of the talks said Wednesday: “The deal is happening.”

Yao was generally positive about the trade but concerned about team chemistry.
“For some reason, I like (Artest),” Yao said. “Because in the games we play against him, I hate him.

“When I text-messaged with Luis (Scola), we talked about team chemistry. That’s only what worries us. We worry about the new attitude to the team. We are adding talent to the team, and we need that, but building team chemistry is important. This is not bad. I don’t mean he is not welcome to Houston. But a new player always needs some time.

“There’s worry. Obviously, yes. ... Hopefully, he’s not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands. ... I have to find a way to talk to him and see what we can do as a basketball team. He has a history, but we know he is a physical player. He is a good player. He really can help us.”

On his way regardless

Artest seemed unsure what to think of Yao’s comments, saying both that he will join the Rockets and that he will make the move only if the Rockets — and specifically Yao — sufficiently demonstrate they truly want him. Either way, NBA rules do not give him a choice.
“This is Tracy (McGrady) and Yao’s team, you know,” Artest said. “I’m not going to take it personal. I understand what Yao said, but I’m still ghetto. That’s not going to change. I’m never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don’t think he’s ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture.

“Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he’ll understand what I’m about. But really, he doesn’t have to talk to me, because to me, I’m going (to Houston)."

The Rockets who have known Artest longest argued that the move will be as beneficial for him as it is for the Rockets.

Rafer Alston, who has known Artest for 16 years since they grew up about 10 minutes apart in Queens, N.Y., and Shane Battier, who has played with or against Artest since they were AAU stars 15 years ago, said the influence of the Rockets’ leadership would help Artest avoid the problems and missteps that have marked his career.

“When I heard it, I was excited, not just for the team, but also for a good friend of mine to come to a new team and start over with a team that is perfect for him,” Alston said. “We have guys with a great sense of humor and veteran guys who are aware of who he is as an individual. (Coach) Rick (Adelman) had him before, a coach that can deal with him. He just has to come in and let his play speak for itself.”
Battier first played against Artest when Battier was a member of the Motown Mavericks AAU team and Artest shared a Riverside Church frontcourt with Lamar Odom and Elton Brand. Battier later played with him at the Hoops Summit and McDonald’s All-American game, and then against him in the NBA.

“I do like our locker room. I feel we can give him the best atmosphere to succeed. We have a good group of guys, hard workers, not a lot of ego. I can’t speak to what Ron went through on other teams, but this can be great for him.”

Excited about move

In many ways, Artest seemed to agree.
“I’m just excited to be reunited with Rick Adelman,” he said. “I don’t care about anything else. If Rick Adelman has Yao Ming, they win championships without even thinking about me. I don’t even want people to think that because the Houston Rockets are acquiring Ron Artest, then that’s the reason they’ll get over the hump. They would’ve been over the hump if Yao Ming hadn’t gone down (last season).

“I’ll come off the bench; I don’t care. Let Shane start, and bring me off as a sixth man or seventh man. I would love to come off the bench in Houston. It doesn’t even matter.”

Asked then if he did plan to join the Rockets, Artest said: “It’s up to Yao Ming. Tracy McGrady called me. I was playing basketball when I heard about it. This is great. This is great for me.”

And it is already interesting for the Rockets.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5916652.html
Staff writer Fran Blinebury contributed to this report.

stipendlax
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
A late night buffet

After our conversation this afternoon in which he was clearly not thrilled with the comments made by Yao Ming, he went on with KHTK's Carmichael Dave this evening and reported that the issue has been resolved.

Among the relevant revelations...

* Artest said Yao called to clear up the matter and proclaimed himself "a Yao Ming soldier babyyyyyy!."

*** Yao then said, "Yeah brother, tell me how my butt tastes. Is it good, huh? Is it?

* He admitted that Yao's comments regarding the brawl "hit me in the soft spot when I read that."

* He said he's even considering a trip to China support Yao with Team China, then quickly made it clear that he is rooting for Team USA for the gold.

* Asked if there was anything he would change about his time in Sacramento, Artest said he would have found a way to convince the Kings to re-sign Rick Adelman.
"I wish I would have know that Rick was leaving, because I would've intercepted that phone call with a missile from Korea," he said with a laugh. "I'd be like, 'Hold on, let's work it out.'"

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/014225.html

***Fiction

Medvedenko
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I just love how Ron Ron represents "black culture" and that the culture represents attacking fans and violence. Good for him to finally label black guys as the root of all violence and retaliation in the USA. What a fucking moron.

SenorSpur
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Yep. This is the move that will vault the Rockets into the conference finals.

lefty
07-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Beno >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Artest + Yao

JamStone
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Tru Warrior... thug life, bitches!

MajorMike
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I wonder if people like Artest are really genuinely dumbasses or if it just for show like Shaq.

Findog
07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
"Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don’t think he’s ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture."

Wait, Jon Barry and Bobby Sura don't adequately represent black culture?

monosylab1k
07-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Those guys knew how to throw up Paul Pierce-lookin gang signs back in 05 against the Mavs.....well, up until they got their chodes beaten in by 40 in Game 7.

Findog
07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Those guys knew how to throw up Paul Pierce-lookin gang signs back in 05 against the Mavs.....well, up until they got their chodes beaten in by 40 in Game 7.

My only youtube wish is for someone to post the video of Josh Howard flashing that dumbass sign at their bench at the end of the game.

stipendlax
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM

Hey, you leave Bobby out of this!

robbie380
07-31-2008, 06:40 PM
0rdYaMMVawc&e

NBA Junkie
07-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Artest is no position to be asking the Rockets of a long term deal given his history.

He should spend this season in Houston proving that what the Rockets made was a shrewd move, Then and only then should he ask of anything in regards to a contract.

I hope he realizes that this is truly his last chance to salvage what's left of his NBA career.

TheMadHatter
07-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Even if Ron plays nicely this year the Rockets would never offer him a longterm deal. He is a one-year rental no matter what happens.

LakeShow
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Ron's just riding the Ghetto wave. I'm thinking he means the ghetto is his culture, he's just over Acting! Much like Rodman back in the day. Crazy, ghetto or not, he's in the news. His Jersey will be, if not already a big seller. He'll get parts in movies as the bad guy, etc...etc. we might even see him in a wedding dress during the season. It's all about money, not a damn things funny!

On the comment, leave it to the Rockets to fuck things up before they even play a game. Yao's got a lot of got damn nerve. The Rockets should trade his sorry soft ass, if anybody. Until he stops getting pushed around and hurt like a little bitch he should just stfu. Pitiful!

That's why Ron would have been a better fit in LA with Phil. Phil knows how to handle someone like Ron, he would show him how to make money with the thug act and still be a star in this league.

Biggems
07-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Thank goodness Bill didn't bring his cultural awareness to the Alamo City......we don't need that kind of BLACK CULTURE here.....I am more than pleased with the black culture that Robinson, Elliott, Duncan, Avery, Malik, Bowen, and Parker shown us.

mavsfan1000
07-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Lol. Great job Artest on trying to destroy an opportunity of winning a championship.

nil.ball
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Lol. Great job Artest on trying to destroy an opportunity of winning a championship.

I am sorry sir, do you mean:

http://www.nba.com/media/mavericks/deveangeorge_080206.jpg

:rollin

Tmac&Luther
07-31-2008, 10:52 PM

:lmao That's right little Mav fan, talk about three seasons ago, because that's all you got. Have fun being the shittiest team in Texas and while your at it here you go.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10170215/Broom_Lobby_Dustpan.jpg

Now be a good little boy and run along, Memphis needs help sweeping out the Southwest cellar.

Ill Cosby
08-01-2008, 08:27 AM
[/I]"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," said Artest, who will earn $7.4 million next season and be a free agent next summer. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about.
[I][B]

That sounds so damn stupid

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Nigga you rich, you need to change

The hell you talkin' bout you was representing the culture by actin' ignorant? That's not what black ppl are about

SenorSpur
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1122561.html

[/I]"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," said Artest, who will earn $7.4 million next season and be a free agent next summer. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he'll understand what I'm about.
[I]"If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed."

Which might not be considered a healthy revelation for the Rockets.

Ron Artest is truly a prisoner of his own mind.

robbie380
08-01-2008, 11:09 AM
i feel that things certainly look much more positive than negative from watching all the interviews artest has given. but the bottom line on this is we won't know how things will work out until the season is over. i think it's going to be a great season and i can't wait to see how things unfold.

tp2021
08-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Do you feel like you did nothing wrong?

Really don't look too much deep into that.

tp2021
08-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm not just some, like, knucklehead headcase whose bipolar. I'm Ron Artest!

TJastal
08-01-2008, 01:11 PM

2-3 months ago, about every spurs fan in here with a few exceptions was riding Artest's nutz like deranged whores on crack.

Now that it looks like he's going to the rockets, he's a total nutcase who's destined to bring the franchise down.

Gotta love the hypocrisy