PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe picks Parker over Ginobili for A-S reserves

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Mike Monroe: Picking All-Star reserves can be tough, but some jump out
Web Posted: 02/06/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020605.10C.COL.BKNmonroe.7c93ac1d.html

San Antonio Express-News

The All-Star starters, named in fan balloting, were announced Thursday.

On Tuesday the league's head coaches will vote for reserves for the Feb. 20 All-Star Game, to be played in Denver's Pepsi Center. They have to vote for two guards, two forwards and one center, and then may add two "wild cards," at any position. They vote only for players in their respective conferences and may not vote for their own players.

Some of their choices will be very tough, but we're here to help.

Here are the players who deserve to be added to the rosters for the game, starting with the Western Conference:

Steve Nash, Suns, guard: This is an absolute "no-brainer." If the MVP vote were held today, Nash would be a runaway winner. He leads the league in assists, at 11.1, the only player in double figures, and he has the Suns averaging nearly 110 points a game.

Ray Allen, SuperSonics, guard (wild card): The Sonics have the fourth-best record in the league, so they deserve representation in Denver. Allen is their top scorer, eighth in the league at 24.0 per game, so he gets the nod over teammate Rashard Lewis.

Amare StoudemireSuns, center: Stoudemire's name appeared on the fan ballot at forward, but he has played nothing but center in the Suns' small-ball offense, so this is where he belongs in the Tuesday voting. He is a perfect All-Star center, too, because the All-Star Game is all about running and gunning, and Stoudemire is the best big man in basketball for that style. You want numbers? Try 25.9 points and 8.5 rebounds a game.

Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks, forward: In our book, Nowitzki should be starting opposite Tim Duncan at forward, ahead of Kevin Garnett. With Nash gone from Dallas, he has carried the Mavericks to the sixth-best record in the league by averaging 26.8 points and 9.8 rebounds. And he's still the best perimeter shooter among the league's athletic 7-footers, making 40 percent of his 3-pointers.

Shawn Marion, Suns, forward: He has an overall game that ranks in the top 10 in the league and he is the only big man among the league leaders in steals (fourth, at 2.15 a game). He averages a double-double (19.4 points, 10.9 rebounds) and is Phoenix's best defender, without question.

Tony Parker, Spurs, guard (wild card): Both Parker and his Spurs backcourtmate, Manu Ginobili, are deserving. But Parker dramatically has improved his shooting and his decision making and has logged more minutes than Ginobili. Plus, Nash is the only other true point guard on the All-Star roster.

Chris Webber, Kings, forward (wild card): He no longer has the explosion that once made him an MVP candidate, but Webber has had a good enough season to keep the Kings among the league's elite. His averages of 21.6 points, 9.5 rebounds and 5.0 assists are amazing, given his physical limitations.

And if Kobe Bryant, voted to start by the fans, isn't off the injured list in time to play, Ginobili is the next most-deserving player out there. Plus, he plays a similar game to the 6-foot-7 Bryant.

Now, the Eastern Conference reserves:

Dwyane Wade, Heat, guard: Clearly, Wade has benefited from the presence of Shaquille O'Neal, but just as clearly he has developed into one of the league's best guards, ranking in the top 10 in scoring (ninth, at 23.6) and assists (sixth, at 7.4).

Paul Pierce, Celtics, guard: Not only does Pierce remain one of the league's reliable scorers (22.1 per game), he has become more of an all-around player. He recently had a triple double in a game in which he did not play in the fourth quarter.

Ben Wallace, Pistons, center: The East's leading rebounder (12.0 per game) and shot blocker (2.61 per game). Need we say more?

Jermaine O'Neal, Pacers, forward: Since he was suspended for 15 games for his part in the Nov. 19 brawl, the league may not like O'Neal being showcased in Denver. But he has kept the Pacers in the Eastern playoff picture, in spite of all the suspensions, by averaging 26.1 points and 9.2 rebounds.

Antawn Jamison, Wizards, forward (wild card): Something changed dramatically in Washington from last season to this season: Jamison arrived, averaging 20.7 points and 8.3 rebounds.

Chauncey Billups, Pistons, guard (wild card): Except for Wallace, the Pistons have no player more valuable. He averages 16.5 points and 6.2 assists and is willing to take the toughest of clutch shots. Besides, he grew up in Denver. Since no Nuggets player deserves to play in the game, he would give the locals a player to cheer.

timvp
02-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Let the flaming begin.

:lol

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 01:16 AM
When we were watching the Kings game tonight, they interestingly said that Bibby, Peja and Marion weren't getting invited. I wonder if the voting has already been done. It was a weird thing to say and they said it more than once.

TMTTRIO
02-06-2005, 01:20 AM
I thought I heard on TNT on Thursday night that the coaches had already voted. I don't know though

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Yeah I meant that it was weird that broadcasters would know the results of the voting.

exstatic
02-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Amare wasn't listed as a center on the ballot. I don't think that they can just re-classify him. :lol

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Amare wasn't listed as a center on the ballot. I don't think that they can just re-classify him.

I thought they could.

goliath
02-06-2005, 01:31 AM
They can. Ive read numerous places that the reserves arent held to the same strict guildlines that fan voting was. If a player has played a significant time at a position he can be voted there as a reserve. Thus the coaches can, and likely will, vote Amare in as a reserve center.

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Yes, they can.

So obviously Amare will be named the center.

Stoudemire prefers to be known as a forward, but he's a center by default for the Suns and thus an instant selection here. The coaches, remember, do not have to strictly follow the All-Star ballot when making their picks ... as long as the player in question really plays multiple positions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1983530

exstatic
02-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Oh, OK. I'd rather watch him play than Brad Miller. :lol

cqsallie
02-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks, forward: In our book, Nowitzki should be starting opposite Tim Duncan at forward, ahead of Kevin Garnett. With Nash gone from Dallas, he has carried the Mavericks to the sixth-best record in the league by averaging 26.8 points and 9.8 rebounds.

You'll pardon me if I don't get this statement from Mike: "Nowitzki should be starting opposite Tim Duncan at forward..." Why would they be starting opposite each other, when both are from the West?

Then, there's "he has carried the Mavericks to the sixth-best record in the league..." Now that's one helluva big deal - 6th in the league!!!!

Obviously, Dirk Nowitzki is being wasted in Dallas. Maybe the Spurs should be trying to get him as insurance against a Duncan injury. Let's recruit every so-called All Star to replace our more-than-competent players in the event one of them is injured.

What I can't understand, and probably never will, is the fact that the team with the best record in the NBA can only field one All Star. Something's rotten in Denmark, MacBeth... :bang

xcoriate
02-06-2005, 08:08 AM
^^ :lmao we are never going to get Dirk short of trading Duncan.

Come on, put the pipe down.

As for your other question, by saying start opposite they meant that he should be starting alongside tim as the other west forward and that garnett should come off the bench.

Rummpd
02-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Webber???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????PLEASE NO - among most over-rated big men in history of game even before injury, = team better has been better last year and so far this year without him!

Here is what W reserves should be:

Miller (carrying team without Miller or Stoj) and good vs. Shaq, Stoj for his shooting ability would also be ok.
Amare
Marion
Dirk
Nash
Manu
Parker (very tough call over Bibby)

This gives the West everything they need - size, speed, athletiscm, and crazy passing when Manu and Nash on court at same time.

Rummpd
02-06-2005, 08:35 AM
East reserves as posted by Monroe:

Doesn't that mean that Marbury (best point guard in game in own mine not in) and Kidd both don't make it?

I would still vote Kidd in: his passing adds excitement to game and I would love for Marbury to get dissed!

Mark in Austin
02-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Bibby has quietly put together a very very good case to be considered, even over Parker. Look at his numbers. He has consistently improved as the season has progressed, to a point where he averaged 19.1 pts and 7.0 assists in January and is averaging 27.6 pts 7.0 ass and 5.0 rebs in his last five games.

Parker has also improved as the season has progressed, is shooting an amazing .490 from the field (only 2 other PG's shoot better), and is putting up similar, but slightly lower stats in over 5 minutes per game less than Bibby.

Tough call... I'd give the edge to Parker because of team record and he started really cranking up his performance level a little earlier in the season than Biiby.

But, if one King is deserving of a spot, it's Bibby, not Webber.

From a logical perspective, I get why Parker could be there an Manu not - Nash being the only other PG on the roster. However, I think it would work to the Spurs long term advantage if Manu made it and Parker didn't. Parker plays best with a chip on his shoulder, not when he's trying to live up to hype, or is feeling satisfied. Manu shines brightest when the spotlight is put on him. I think Manu's post ASG performance would be even better than the way he's playing now if he made the team - look at what this summer's Olympic performance has done for him this year. Based on what I've seen in the past, Parker would regress slightly or become more inconsistent if he made the team this year. Despite being argueably the second best PG in the west, I want Parker's hunger / desire to raise his game to another level to be overwhelming this summer, and a percieved snub this year could helkp fuel that. Next year could really be a breakout year for him then - a year where he puts it all together and becomes a no-brainer for the ASG.

T Park
02-06-2005, 12:20 PM
couple more seasons of playing well

yeah hes practically over the hill right now....

SequSpur
02-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Bibby gets the nod over Parker.

Manu gets the nod over Parker too.

SPARKY
02-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Imagine that. I guess Monroe doesn't have the Manu Love either.

T Park
02-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Bibby does NOT get the nod over parker.

Sorry.

Parker > Bibby.

Spurs 3-1 vs Kings.

JUST WIN BABY!!!!

NEXT!!!

:flipoff

SequSpur
02-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Dude, hook me up with some Rodeo Tiltawhirl tickets bro?

Can a brotha get a minute?

T Park
02-06-2005, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE]couple more seasons of playing well [QUOTE]

You wanna bash?? I can bash just as much short shit.

Quit the fuckin stereotypes and STFU.

myhc
02-06-2005, 01:29 PM
he's picking chauncey billups over gilbert arenas? what was mike smoking while he was writing this article? arenas is averaging 24 points/5 assists/4 rebounds, billups is at 16/6/4. there's no question who's more deserving.

rascal
02-06-2005, 01:34 PM
I also expect Parker to be picked over Manu if another Spur were to make the team.

waly.mg
02-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Vote: On the All-Star bubble: Positions

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/ballot?event_id=1164

Who should be reserves on the Western Conference All-Star team? (Pick 7)

85.8% Amare Stoudemire, Phoneix (25.9 ppg, 8.5 rpg)
85.3% Steve Nash, Phoenix (15.5 ppg, 11.1 apg)
83.0% Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas (26.6 ppg, 9.9 rpg)
82.8% Ray Allen, Seattle (24.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 4.1 apg)
56.7% Shawn Marion, Phoenix (19.4 ppg, 10.9 rpg)
41.8% Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers (20.0 ppg, 9.6 rpg)
40.7% Emmanuel Ginobili, San Antonio (15.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.8 spg)
31.0% Rashard Lewis, Seattle (20.6 ppg, 2.5 3pg)
21.4% Brad Miller, Sacramento (15.2 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 3.7 apg)
20.3% Pau Gasol, Memphis (18.9 ppg, 8.2 rpg)
18.0% Predrag Stojakovic, Sacramento (20.3 ppg, 2.6 3pg)
17.2% Mike Bibby, Sacramento (17.5 ppg, 6.4 apg)
17.0% Tony Parker, San Antonio (15.6 ppg, 6.1 apg)
13.8% Andrei Kirilenko, Utah (14.2 ppg, 3.9 bpg, 1.4 spg)
10.8% Carlos Boozer, Utah (18.4 ppg, 9.2 rpg)

ducks
02-07-2005, 04:05 PM
fans want to see manu dunk
ofcourse they are going to pick him
it does not make manu the better player though

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-07-2005, 04:20 PM
^^^^^^^^

That ESPN poll is freaky. I talked to two scouts from the Sonics over the weekend, they said it will come down to Manu and Rashard for the last spot on the squad.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 04:21 PM
The ESPN poll is stupid. They forgot to even put Webber on it. And of the three Kings (Peja, Bibby and Webber) he's most likely to make it.

Nikos
02-07-2005, 04:23 PM
If it comes down to Shard and Manu, they probably will pick Shard. Since he is playing more minutes, scoring more, and is the second best player on a successful team that does not have a guy like Tim Duncan.

Ray is a great player, but he is not near Duncan as a player. And considering the Sonics are doing so well, Shard will likely get the invite.

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2005, 05:29 PM
fans want to see manu dunk
ofcourse they are going to pick him
it does not make manu the better player though

Manu = 40.7% vs Parker = 17.0%

You're right. Dunking doesn't make Manu better. His shooting percentage, consistency, basketball smarts, heart, desire, and drive does.

Manu is better. Everybody knows it except the Parker homers wearing the rose collored glasses.

Jimcs50
02-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Manu will be an All Star......I am more sure of that than of the Spurs winning the division......nuff said.

Jimcs50
02-07-2005, 05:37 PM
CWeb has a bad rep for whatever reason, he gets no respect from people. I do not think he will make the team.

Ginofan
02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Does anyone know what time they will announce the reserves tomorrow?

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 09:34 PM
I think it will be midday, but I'm trying to get someone to give a confirmation on that.

Ginofan
02-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks Kori, I appreciate it.

Jimcs50
02-07-2005, 09:45 PM
only a few more hours til we see Manu on the team. This will be sweet.

Ginofan
02-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Don't jinx it Jim!!!

Nikos
02-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Why are you so certain JIM?

There are a handful or so players who will get close to the same consideration as Manu in terms of making the cut.

I would be suprised if Manu makes it actually. I am expecting Shard and Marion to be the last perimeter guys picked.

Not that I don't think Manu would deserve a spot, I just can't see most of the coaches picking him due to his GLORY STARS (Pts+Reb+Asts) and lack of big minutes.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Why are you so certain JIM?

There are a handful or so players who will get close to the same consideration as Manu in terms of making the cut.

I would be suprised if Manu makes it actually. I am expecting Shard and Marion to be the last perimeter guys picked.

Not that I don't think Manu would deserve a spot, I just can't see most of the coaches picking him due to his GLORY STARS (Pts+Reb+Asts) and lack of big minutes.
I think that, and the lack of big minutes is EXACTLY what's going to get him in. Effectiveness with fewer minutes shows more than effectiveness with tons of minutes, think about it.