PDA

View Full Version : Federal Judge rules on if White House aides can be subpoenaed

peewee's lovechild
07-31-2008, 04:13 PM
JUDGE: WHITE HOUSE AIDES CAN BE SUBPOENAED

WASHINGTON — President Bush's top advisers are not immune from congressional subpoenas, a federal judge ruled Thursday in a long-running dispute between the two political branches.

Congressional Democrats called the ruling a ringing endorsement of the principle that nobody is above the law. They swiftly announced that the Bush officials who have defied their subpoenas, including Bush's former top adviser Karl Rove, must appear as part of a probe of whether the White House directed the firings of nine federal prosecutors. Democrats announced plans to open hearings at the height of election season.

The Bush administration was expected to appeal.

In his ruling, U.S. District Judge John Bates said there's no legal basis for Bush's argument and that his former legal counsel, Harriet Miers, must appear before Congress. If she wants to refuse to testify, he said, she must do so in person. The committee also has sought to force testimony from White House chief of staff Joshua Bolten.

"Harriet Miers is not immune from compelled congressional process; she is legally required to testify pursuant to a duly issued congressional subpoena," Bates wrote. He said that both Bolten and Miers must give Congress all nonprivileged documents related to the firings.

Bates, who was appointed to the bench by Bush, issued a 93-page opinion that strongly rejected the administration's legal arguments. He noted that the executive branch could not point to a single case in which courts held that White House aides were immune from congressional subpoenas.

"That simple yet critical fact bears repeating: the asserted absolute immunity claim here is entirely unsupported by existing case law," Bates wrote.

The ruling is a blow to the Bush administration's efforts to bolster the power of the executive branch at the expense of the legislative branch. Disputes over congressional subpoenas are normally resolved through political compromise, not through the court system. Had Bush prevailed, it would have dramatically weakened congressional authority in oversight investigations.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., left open the prospect of a full House vote on a contempt citation against Rove, who defied his subpoena to appear before the Judiciary Committee on July 10.

"It certainly strengthens our hand," she said of Bates' ruling. "This decision should send a clear signal to the Bush administration that it must cooperate fully with Congress and that former administration officials Harriet Miers and Karl Rove must testify before Congress."

That wasn't clear at all to the White House or Rove's attorney.

Bush administration lawyers were still considering whether to appeal, but there was no doubt what they thought of the ruling.

"We disagree with the district court's decision," White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

With only a few months left in Bush's presidency, there appeared to be no sense of urgency to come to a decision.

"I have not yet talked with anyone at the White House ... and don't expect that this matter will be finally resolved in the very near future," Rove attorney Robert Luskin said in an e-mail.

The House Judiciary Committee's senior Republican, Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, said he was pleased the court ruled in Congress' favor, but he cautioned that an ongoing showdown in federal court could ultimately curtail Congress' powers, and he urged Democrats and the White House to strike an agreement.

"Unfortunately, today's victory may be short-lived," Smith said in a statement. "If the administration appeals the ruling, our congressional prerogatives will once again be put at risk."

The chairmen of the House and Senate Judiciary Committees quickly demanded that the White House officials subpoenaed appear before their panels.

Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, signaled that hearings would commence in September on the controversy that scandalized the Justice Department and led to the resignation of a longtime presidential confidant, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

"We look forward to the White House complying with this ruling and to scheduling future hearings with Ms. Miers and other witnesses who have relied on such claims," Conyers said in a statement. "We hope that the defendants will accept this decision and expect that we will receive relevant documents and call Ms. Miers to testify in September."

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said, "I look forward to working with the White House and the Justice Department to coordinate the long overdue appearances."

___

Associated Press reporters Laurie Kellman and Ben Evans contributed to this story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/31/judge-white-house-aides-c_n_116069.html

herzlman
07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
It's about time!

Oh, Gee!!
07-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Judicial Activism!!!!!

FromWayDowntown
07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Judicial Activism!!!!!

Ah, yes.

PixelPusher
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
"That simple yet critical fact bears repeating: the asserted absolute immunity claim here is entirely unsupported by existing case law," Bates wrote
Damn liberal judges with their airy-fairy "living constitution" activism!

FromWayDowntown
07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Damn liberal judges with their airy-fairy "living constitution" activism!

It's actually that annoying commitment judges have to following precedent.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, as the story notes, The Honorable John D. Bates, United States District Court Judge for the District of Columbia was appointed to the bench in December 2001 -- by President George W. Bush.

PixelPusher
07-31-2008, 05:30 PM
It's actually that annoying commitment judges have to following precedent.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, as the story notes, The Honorable John D. Bates, United States District Court Judge for the District of Columbia was appointed to the bench in December 2001 -- by President George W. Bush.

2001? Obviously, he has of a pre-9/11 mindset.

peewee's lovechild
07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
2001? Obviously, he has of a pre-9/11 mindset.

9/11 happened 3 months before he was appointed Judge by Bush.

PixelPusher
07-31-2008, 05:58 PM
9/11 happened 3 months before he was appointed Judge by Bush.

And yet he still ruled against the Executive Branch! It's such a shame he didn't understand how 9/11 "changed everything" from that day forward.

Mark my words, this decision will lead to American deaths by terrorism!

(wonder if I'll have go back and "blue" these posts?)

Mr. Peabody
07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
And yet he still ruled against the Executive Branch! It's such a shame he didn't understand how 9/11 "changed everything" from that day forward.

(wonder if I'll have go back and "blue" these posts?)

What? How could you possibly say that? That is the most stupidest post I've ever read.

Of course you will have to use blue....:lol

Wild Cobra
07-31-2008, 11:32 PM

I think you miss an important point. It shows that president Bush doesn't appoint cronies, but people he believes in to make the hard choices.

FromWayDowntown
08-01-2008, 01:08 AM
I think you miss an important point. It shows that president Bush doesn't appoint cronies, but people he believes in to make the hard choices.

That, or that even those who would normally be most inclined to support the President on some of the, ahem, novel legal questions that this Administration has created have run out of tenable legal arguments to defend those actions.

Cry Havoc
08-01-2008, 02:34 AM
That, or that even those who would normally be most inclined to support the President on some of the, ahem, novel legal questions that this Administration has created have run out of tenable legal arguments to defend those actions.

I see what you did there.