PDA

View Full Version : Blake Ahearn will have a tryout for Spurs

Bruno
08-01-2008, 05:23 AM
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080801/SPORTS040101/808010360

Ahearn plays NBA waiting game
Minnesota, others are potential suitors.

Lyndal Scranton • News-Leader • August 1, 2008

Every time his telephone rings, Blake Ahearn wonders if it's a call from his future NBA employer.
Advertisement

"Playing that waiting game is part of the business," said Ahearn, a former Missouri State basketball standout.

"For those who know me, patience is not my best asset. But for now, I have to be patient."

Ahearn appeared in 12 games last season as a rookie with the injury-depleted Miami Heat, averaging 5.8 points. He's waiting to find out if the Minnesota Timberwolves make him a contract offer. He played with Minnesota's team in the Las Vegas Summer League.

The 6-foot-2 guard averaged 12.2 points in five games -- second to the Timberwolves' first-round draft choice, Kevin Love. He shot 43.5 percent from the field. He made 7 of 20 3-pointers and all 14 of his free throws.

"My agent (John Greig of Seattle) says Minnesota really likes me; they're just not making a decision yet," Ahearn said.

"They have one roster spot open and are looking for a combo guard. That's the role I played during the summer league."

Greig did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Ahearn isn't going to sit and wait while the Timberwolves decide. He's working out daily in his hometown of St. Louis and is scheduled to fly to San Antonio on Aug. 15 for a tryout with the Spurs.

Golden State and Phoenix also have shown interest in his services, Ahearn said.

Ahearn's first choice would be Phoenix, with its up-tempo style, though he said San Antonio "has a team of skilled players and the whole organization is first class."

"Obviously, any team in the NBA would be good," Ahearn added. "I'm sure that I'm going to get an opportunity with someone.

"It could happen tomorrow, from a team not even in the mix or it could happen in two weeks. I just have to be patient and stay ready."

Bruno
08-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Time to speculate.
Almost all teams have signed their first round pick, Spurs haven't signed Hill and are trying out a young PG. :stirpot:

JPB
08-01-2008, 05:30 AM
It's a bit surprising that the spurs are trying out a 6-2 guard.

Would it mean they're not confident in Hill ? Or that Vaughn is on his way out ?

Because otherwise I don't see what other need he could answer.

JPB
08-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Time to speculate.
Almost all teams have signed their first round pick, Spurs haven't signed Hill and are trying out a young PG. :stirpot:

:tu
I didn't see you post post before replying.

I'm as puzzled as you.

JPB
08-01-2008, 05:40 AM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics13/200/GQ/GQAVHVPJIWMVGSQ.20080715131025.jpg

Ahearn Earns NBA Development League Rookie of the Year Award
Courtesy: MSU Sports Information
Release: 04/15/2008

NEW YORK - Former Missouri State guard Blake Ahearn, who earned the season’s 20th GATORADE Call-Up to the Miami Heat on March 21, following a standout season with the Dakota Wizards, has been selected by the league’s head coaches as the NBA Development League’s 2007-08 Rookie of the Year.

"Blake is very deserving of this honor and I am very proud of him", said wizards head coach Duane Ticknor. "This is a testament to Blakes work ethic. He is the first one to get to the gym and last to leave".

Since his Call-Up, Ahearn has appeared in 10 games for Miami, scoring in double-figures three times: 15 points apiece at Detroit on March 27 and against New Orleans on April 2, and a 12-point outing on March 30 at Boston.

In 41 games for Dakota, Ahearn averaged 19.0 points, shooting 49 percent (239-492) from the field, 96 percent (191-199) from the free throw line and 44 percent (108-246) from three-point range, to go with 3.5 assists and 2.0 rebounds in 29.4 minutes. For his efforts in the D-League this season, Ahearn also earned a spot on the All-NBA Development League Second Team.

Ahearn joins Louis Amundson (Colorado, 2006-07), Will Bynum (Roanoke 2005-06), James Thomas (Roanoke 2004-05), Desmond Penigar (Asheville, 2003-04), Devin Brown (Fayetteville, 2002-03) and Fred House (Charleston, 2001-02) as winners of the annual award.

“While the competition was fierce for the top rookie award, Blake has taken full advantage of his time spent in the D-League,” said Chris Alpert, Vice President of Basketball Operations and Player Personnel for the D-league. “His shooting ability, toughness, deceptive athleticism, and unselfishness made him standout in a league of tremendous young prospects.”

ceperez
08-01-2008, 05:42 AM
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080801/SPORTS040101/808010360

He played with Minnesota's team in the Las Vegas Summer League.

The 6-foot-2 guard averaged 12.2 points in five games -- second to the Timberwolves' first-round draft choice, Kevin Love. He shot 43.5 percent from the field. He made 7 of 20 3-pointers and all 14 of his free throws.

"My agent (John Greig of Seattle) says Minnesota really likes me; they're just not making a decision yet," Ahearn said.

"They have one roster spot open and are looking for a combo guard. That's the role I played during the summer league."

Greig did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Ahearn isn't going to sit and wait while the Timberwolves decide. He's working out daily in his hometown of St. Louis and is scheduled to fly to San Antonio on Aug. 15 for a tryout with the Spurs.

Golden State and Phoenix also have shown interest in his services, Ahearn said.

Ahearn's first choice would be Phoenix, with its up-tempo style, though he said San Antonio "has a team of skilled players and the whole organization is first class."

Phoenix, up tempo? Won't they be the the oldest team in the league next season?

Well the guy is a Steve Kerr in the making. I'll take him if we waive Jacque Vaughn!

JPB
08-01-2008, 05:53 AM
With Barry gone, spurs might see a possible 3 pt shooter in him (44% in D-league) a la Kerr, indeed.

timvp
08-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Most likely training camp fodder. And most likely reason Hill hasn't signed yet is because the Spurs are probably trying to get him to sign for less than 120% of the rookie rate.

But tough to tell for sure. This could be bad news for Hill ... or maybe Vaughn.

ceperez
08-01-2008, 06:22 AM
I doubt Minnesota will sign him. I mean, we gave them Beno Udrih and I don't think they see a need for this kind of talent.

Sun's may want a Nash backup.

Golden State have enough shooters already, besides Beninelli needs playing time.

If this guy shows up on training camp and shoots 50% from the 3 point line, then I'll sign him. Otherwise, he appears to be a liability of defense (just like Kerr) and seems to have shot a 0% for the several games with the Heat. For his height, he's got to delivery with accuracy and consistency.

However, to win the D-league ROY award probably means you maintain that consistency.

Like I said, if it's an opportunity to waive Vaughn, then I'll take this kid. For the record, Jacque Vauhn's playoff shooting percentage was 27.3% ! That's pathetic and truly warrants being waived. Just ask Robert Horry who has 22.7% in the playoffs.

Ice009
08-01-2008, 06:23 AM
Is this guy any good? Has anyone seen him play?

Also is Hill guaranteed a contract? The Spurs have to sign him since he's a first round pick right?

ChumpDumper
08-01-2008, 07:24 AM
He can shoot, and that's about it. I have trouble calling him a combo guard at this point. No threat to Hill IMO -- more like training camp fodder just to see where he is in his development.

Bruno
08-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Spurs haven't also re-signed Finley and their second round draft picks.

IMO, Spurs are in wait and see mode. They are waiting to see if a trade or a FA on the cheap. Finley and Spurs' draft picks won't go away, so Spurs can afford to wait a little. Signing them now could hurt Spurs' flexibility if something happens.
Trying out Blake Ahearn also fits this scheme. If a trade happens with Vaughn or Hill, Ahearn could become an option as 3rd string PG if he does well in his tryout.

Toros will also likely lost Barrett. If Ahearn signs with Spurs for the training camp and is waived, his D-League team should be Austin. Spurs could decide to sign some training camp invites with Austin in mind.

dbestpro
08-01-2008, 07:36 AM
He plays like Mark Price. He is a pure shooter, maybe better than Beno. I would sign this kid in a second. Instant offense is what we are lacking from the bench. He has a better chance to make the team than Hill as Hill will need the year in the NBDL to learn how to play the point.

timvp
08-01-2008, 07:38 AM
For the record, Ahearn looked pretty good against D-League level competition. Against NBA players, he looked horrible. Chris Quinn pretty much sucks and he was about 10 times better than Ahearn.

I highly doubt he's an NBA player. At the very best he's a 12th man third stringer at point with weaknesses of passing, dribbling and defense.

ChumpDumper
08-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Ahearn will need as long or longer than Hill to learn the point -- and from what I have seen, he is nowhere near the defender Hill is.

dbestpro
08-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Hill and Vaughn both can play defense. We need a back up point guard who can play some D and at least shoot 30%. Maybe, Ahearn can make up for lack od D and point skills by actually putting the ball through the net.

timvp
08-01-2008, 07:44 AM
If the Spurs want to go the Miami Heat end of the season tank mode D-League player route, I'd look at Stephane Lasme. At least he's an NBA level shotblocker.

ChumpDumper
08-01-2008, 07:45 AM
I like that the Spurs are looking for a scorer, I just don't think Ahearn is that good at this point.

Bruno
08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Spurs also worked out JR Bremer this summer but he has decided to sign a big contract in Russia.

timvp
08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Hill and Vaughn both can play defense. We need a back up point guard who can play some D and at least shoot 30%.Probably best to look for that attribute from a player who didn't shoot 25% from the field last year. :)

If the Spurs want a scorer who can play some point, throwing money at Juan Dixon is probably the best way to go.

lurker23
08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I personally think the Spurs are interested in Ahearn solely for the sake of bringing him to training camp. They'll want to see what Hill and Mason can do defensively in controlled scrimmages, so I expect them to bring in a couple of offensive combo guards that they'll cut loose before the regular season. On the same note, they may also bring in a couple offensive-minded big men to test the guys fighting for spots behind Duncan, Thomas, and Oberto.

As for Vaughn, I honestly want him to stay in the organization, assuming he can do what he was brought in to do: be the third string point guard. He's a good veteran presence on the bench and in the locker room, and if brought into the game in a pinch he can bring the ball up without imploding and play solid enough defense. I know he gets a lot of flack from Spurs fans because he couldn't be a starting PG anywhere in the league, but we didn't even bring in the guy to be a backup. As a 3rd stringer, he's a better option than most teams have.

CubanMustGo
08-01-2008, 10:13 AM
At the very best he's a 12th man third stringer at point with weaknesses of passing, dribbling and defense.

add 'shooting and rebounding' and you would have described my game completely :downspin:

loveforthegame
08-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Sounds like training camp fodder. They spoke too highly of Hill to be thinking replacement already. It's not like he had a bad summer league either.

I also don't see this as a Finley replacement. Anyone really believe Pop would play Ahearn over Finley even if he shot 90% from 3pt land?

At best it would be a replacement for Vaughn.

wildbill2u
08-01-2008, 10:56 AM
probably camp cannon fodder. much ado about nothing.

T Park
08-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Training camp fodder. Nothing to see here.

SequSpur
08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
nothing but garbage......

DROB4EVER
08-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Can someone in the FO please address the SF spot befor we sign another player 6-2 or under.